OOC Shrouds of Varda Inn ( Interim Title

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 am

*excepts handshake*
Thank you PB, I also didn't mean to come across like that (ungrateful), and I truly do appreciate you putting me on the right path. I am new to RPing but to the world of Tolkien I am not. The inn was set in the fourth age(which is hardly documented) and due to element of "Magic" and the lands to East, South, and North of Middle earth almost anything is possible. That is why I thought an early form of guns would be okay. But I don't mean to rant, and Im thankful for your "Annoying Older Sister" attitude, for it saves allot of time!
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:53 am

You may be right on the guns issue, and the others might side with you, but I just personally can't wrap my head around guns in middle earth. (wasn't too particularly keen on the spiked explosive in Two Towers either)

Let's see what the others think.

You may get to keep them yet. :wink:
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:01 am

I have been reading some debates about similar subjects and I believe that Tolkien would be horrified that guns had been put into his Middle Earth. Of course it is up for debate but im ditching guns while im in Middle Earth. :)
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:57 am

Guns in Middle Earth. :shock: :angry: :nono: Hooo buddy you best be glad I am no longer moderator for this forum or I woulda had the flamethrower out and we woulda all been feasting on toasted hobbit toes. ( old joke, sorry)

PB is absolutly right about what she said. Take a look at the top of this forum and you will find the rules well guidelines at least, for posting in this forum.(Me and Idril worked long and hard on them) Reading them will give you a good idea of what is expected with RP here at TORC. The aim is to write stories that the Professor might have approved of and even read himself. That sets a high standard and that's how we like it.

The OOC thread is where one comes when one wants to join an existing RP. Since "Varda" is technically an Inn, anyone is welcome to post as a customer in said inn. Our storyline is currently dominating which is why we are about to move it out of the inn proper and into it's own thread.

A characer bio would be appropriate here and you should read up on the doings so that you can find a way to fit your character into the action with out disrupting it.

Magic does indeed exist and I would be the first one to say it is a part of our style of RP, heck I am a bard that is not 100% your regular human and my harp, well Agarak is not like anything on the boards. The harp is a Maiar of Illuvatar and just about all powerful but where's the fun in that so I have countered its magic by giving it an uncooperative nature so that even if The Bard should ask does not mean the harp will comply. I also keep the use of its magic to a minimum when involved in the more realistic RP's. So magic is used but ya gotta be smart about it.

Spelling and such are expected to be as close to perfect as you can get I generally write out posts on Word before posting here so I can clean up what is less than perfect.

OK Mod hat taken off and I'll stop ranting. Think of me as that annoying big brother, I am one of those in RL. and sometimes it carries over.. so here's for starting over.

Hail and Hiya, I am The Warrior/Bard Erinhue of Belfalas, song or sword at your service. Most folks around here call me 'Hue, and you can too :wink:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Entmooting » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:06 am

I know this is none of my business, as I'm not posting in this RP thread, but there are actually some fascinating points raised by this little contretemps, so I hope my interjection will be indulged.

Firstly, and simplest, the RP rules for the Shrouds of Arda are different, are they not? This is an “open” thread, and as such anybody should be able to post as an introduction of their character. If this has become a “closed” story, then those involved in that story really should have shifted to a new thread, as I believe the intention is. It's no good complaining now because those contributors have been organisationally tardy! ;)

Secondly, the question of guns. As PB points out, the orcs at Helm's Deep had an explosive device invented by Saruman, that was “real” not “magic”. Tolkien writes of the last years of the Third Age with sadness and regret. Sandyman's Mill, the Elves leaving Middle Earth, Saruman and his love of the mechanical: these are all lamented by Tolkien, but that does not alter the fact they are happening. The beginning of the Fourth Age does not just signify the Return of the King; it is a time of epochal change.

This RP thread is set in the Fourth Age. The desire to cast events in aspic may be strong, but change happens, and inventions are notoriously difficult to “uninvent”. The idea that the genie of gunpowder is out of the bottle fits with this concept of “progress” and its positives and negatives. Primitive firearms would, conceivably, be part of this.

Finally, I find the overuse of “magic” in fantasy discordant. Tolkien used it incredibly sparingly; I am certain he was aware of the unbalancing nature of “super-heroes”. Tolkien's magic is, generally, subtle and rarely, if ever, used as a deus ex machina, a care not as apparent in the works of other authors. Galadriel's mirror is a fine example of the “small” scale of Tolkien magic.

And as a little addition, there is some argument that Middle-Earth is an actual, alternative history for our real world. Guns exist in our world, and have been used in some form since the 1360s. That is fifty years before the Battle of Agincourt. There's a thought! :shock:

Apologies for the intrusion. I'll butt out now. :)
Entmooting
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

This is a very old debate. There has been in the past, much controversy about what would be happening in the Fourth Age. We went through having out and out super hero's in Middle Earth, ( someone once tried to transfer the entire Marvel Universe into a thread, a serious no go)

The guns thing was a big issue at one point with all sorts of arguements presented both for and against. The Mods had a big discussion over this but Jon himself put in the last and abiding word. No Guns in Middle Earth, so that's that. Granted this happened before either of you joined the boards but that still goes so bye bye bang bang.

As for "Varda" Being an open thread, as an Inn it is. We are moving this story out of the Inn shortly. We will be moving out in the story and then opening a new thread. As there was nothing else going on in that thread I suppose we became a bit proprietary about it but as long as we are there anyone is free to interject, as long as they are up to date with what is going on there.

Sorry if I sounded cross, not really my nature but I am more than a bit proprietary about The Pony and I will still jump in when I see something that does not coincide with what has been established for this forum.

I appreciate your input Entmooting but there is no reason to reinvent the wheel nor does anyone want any sort of repeat of the mess that went on in The Pony a while back. First the guns and then the Super Heros and then stuff from every fantasy story from Dragon Riders of Pern to who knows what. Jon very nearly shut down The Prancing Pony for good and NO ONE wants to see that happen. Some things that might seem OK are really the first steps down a very slippery slope that will lead to the end of this forum. Moderator or no I still say "Not on my watch."

erinhue

Postby Entmooting » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:22 am

As I said, Master Hue, this really is none of my business, and I was unaware of the amount of "previous". I simply got itchy fingers because the subject was interesting.

I'll most certainly keep out of it now! :)
Entmooting
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:29 am

Well there is one "superhero" on the boards and that would be me. Erinhue is sort of The Incredible Hulk but that was established before The Prancing Pony even existed ( yes I have been around THAT long) and as long as I keep it down and use common and judicious sense in that application, I did (and do) have Jon's OK to keep The Bard just the way he is. Yes I know and I do appreciate it very much.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am

Entmooting, Minty if you will, I understand perfectly. I get ants in my pants often and just cannot help butting in, um I mean posting advice from time to time. Once a Mod, always a mod, they say it gets in the blood. It is only that I love this site and this forum especially that I bother to get a bit lathered on occassion. As I said that is really not my nature but... :roll: what can I say. Hope I didn't offend you or anyone,' cause that was not my intent here. Trust me, when I mean to offend, you will not have any doubt about it. :wink:

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Now I have read the rules and now I have realized my mistakes, on the subject on guns im sorry once again for disruption I had caused. But I would suggest you put something that explains that guns are not allowed, and magic should be uses sparsely. Ive read through the past posts before I posted my first one. I have to admit I was not entirely confident and didn't wish to make my first move on the first post, if you get my meaning. So thats why I decided to stay in the bar. As for my spelling and typos im sorry for them as well. Now Erinhue you truly are a superhero with that Harp of yours and I understand why you have Jon's okay with using him. You are an excellent writer and you understand when to use the Harp and how. And thank you Entmooting for making those points for I was getting a tad overwhelmed with the two "older siblings".
Last edited by Bilbo Baggins on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks, BB. And of course, Robin will be pleased to have another hobbit to talk to, and a well-traveled hobbit at that, not afraid of adventures. Look him up, he'll be glad to have a companion.

The Letter G

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Dang DP!

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Entmooting » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 pm

A DP with a six minute gap? Wow! :shock:
Entmooting
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Robin is quite the character I must say! Ill be glad to interact with her, and see how these Hobbits fair in the adventures to come.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Good. That makes two hobbits along for the journey. Now all you need to do, Bilbo, is make up a bio and find a good way for your character to join the rest of us. I'm easy, you take a step and I'll meet ya half way. I a stickler sometimes but I also love to help new folk get the hang of RP here at TORC, That's why I started and fought for the Lucky Fortune Inn thread up in Welcome, it was made for first timers to get their feet wet and learn the ropes.

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks, BB. btw, Robin is a he. Named after Robin Smallburrow, a Shirriff in ROTK.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:32 pm

:lol: Entmooting, I just LOVE Monty Python. :lol: LIfe of Brian was on TV last night. Funnneee. I got a chance to see Spamalot on Broadway, Funneeer :rofl:

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Did i say she? im terribly sorry for that and my apologizes to you an your character Robin.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm

No problem. I look forward to RP'ing with your character.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Meet Tommy Took

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Name: Tommy Took

Description: A skinny Hobbit who seems to have a gleam in his eye and wears black slightly formal clothes. He bears a rapier and has a set of throwing knives set across his chest. Tommy’s a bit of a swashbuckling Rouge who gets himself into trouble more times than not.

Background: Tommy grew up in the hills of Bree, a Took by name and was always getting into mischief. He had relatives in the Shire and went their quite often, it is then he would visit Bilbo Baggins and heard all about his adventures. Many years later Tommy was still not a sensible Hobbit and hadn’t quieted down. According to his mother he was an “a right cheeky little Hobbit”. He often talked to strangers that came through Bree and was a good friend of many Rangers. One day when he was sitting in the Prancing Pony he overheard some dwarves talking about an expedition into the mines of Moria. It seems they were looking for a burglar similar to Bilbo Baggins. So of course Tommy walked over there and introduced himself as the “Master Burglar” trained by Bilbo himself he said. The dwarves were delighted and took Bilbo with them Moria. The expedition was a failure and most of the dwarves were wiped out by the Balrog that called the mines his home. Only Bilbo and three Dwarves got away alive. They found many treasures but little food and drink, but Bilbo was having the time of his life, even though he was half starved. They escaped from Moria and Bilbo went on many more adventures.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Better! We're getting there. It's generally a good idea to get as detailed as possable. This helps EVERYONE involved. There's no set format for accomplishing this, but here's a random, made up example of the format I personally prefer:

NAME: Falla Doeling

RACE: Human

EYES: Blue

HAIR: Black, cut short and spiky, like a boy's

HEIGHT / WEIGHT: Four foot nothing / 95-98 lbs.

SKILLS: Picking pockets, playing the decoy for larger scale jobs, running, scrapping

WEAPONS: Her fists

CLOTHES: Raggedy boys clothes

TEMPERMENT: Feisty. She's willing to fight at the tiniest slight and thinks the word "no" is equivallant to "I tripple dog dare you!"

HISTORY: The streets are all she knows. She thinks she remembers her mother washing people's clothes for a few coins, but the woman in the memory's long gone, and Falla doesn't know when, nore does she care.

You see, in this format you can be as detailed or purpously vague as you want and still give all the information the other RPers will need. It also helps you remember the most important points about your character.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Like this?

NAME: Tommy Took

RACE: Hobbit

EYES: Green

HAIR: Brown

HEIGHT: 4 feet

SKILLS: Expert fencer, pick pocket, lock pick, and general maker of mayhem.

WEAPONS: A rapier, a set of throwing knives, a kukri, and his wits.

CLOTHING: Sturdy black Knee breeches, white shirt, red waistcoat, good walking shoes, a weather stained black formal looking jacket, and a black cap.

TEMPERMENT: A tad crazy but on the job he’s smart and professional.

HISTORY: Has been adventuring for an odd some 15 years and doesn’t plan on quitting anytime soon.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:44 pm

There ya go :wink:

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Finally!
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:54 pm

AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 pm

All guns aside, were you all going to branch this off into its own RP thread? :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:14 am

Yes we are. what we are doing has gotten too big and involved to remain in an Inn thread. We should have everything in place and my next post should move us out of the Inn. That won't be until after the holiday so anyone that still has need of the Inn setting should get in place to go with us if that is your intent.

Thank you so much for letting us hijack your thread. I never expected a full blown storyline to develope when I came in to sing a song, but that is the beauty of RP, ya never know where you're going until ya get there.

Again Thank ya muchly on behalf of our crew. Best of luck with the Inn. 8)

erinhue

Postby Arassuil » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:33 am

No worries mate, I was just curious. It's an honour to have this inn be the place where so many fine writers well above my league got together and created a fine RP tale! It was what I was hoping would happen there. When you do start a thread, be sure to put a link to it!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I have wrapped up our storyline as far as the inn is concerned. I left an OOC note, ( :oops: oops forgot to put in OOC, will do in a sec.)

We don't yet have a name for the new thread at least I don't recall us settling on anything. I don't have an idea at the moment so all suggestions or re-suggestions are welcome. I think the next scene, to open the new thread should be us gathering( well you as the Bard will catch up) the group gathering or dispersing or preparing to go or already a short way on the road already, or whatever but is should happen in the new thread, whatevertheheck we decided to call it. :wink:

Arassuil When we get a thread opened for this I will edit out the OOC in the IC thread and replace it with a link

erinhue

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 pm

I had suggested something before, but I think it got missed, so ,again, my suggestion is "Avenging Ghosts" because Ondine's grandma would likely think her a ghost when she first returns.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)