OOC Shrouds of Varda Inn ( Interim Title

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 pm

NAME: Ondine Torros

HEIGHT / WEIGHT: 5 foot 2 inches / 110 lb (heathy weight), 100 currently.

HAIR: Long, crimpy, golden brown. Not blond, not brown, but a nice blend of the two.

EYES: Dark brown and very large for her face.

RACE: Human - Father was a Gondorian Lord, her mother was a Rohirrim pesant.

SKILLS: Can handle horses well, knows how to fight with sword and dagger, as well as how to conduct herself as a Gondorina lady.

GONDORIAN NOBILITY: The way I have imagined Gondorian nobility to work (since I had not read of any exact refrence to such in Tolkien's writings) is that titles are handed down from parent to child, so the title must stay in the direct bloodline. Adopted children and spouses who married into the family don't count.

Ondine's grandmother was one such spouse and so she is ruthless in trying to manipulate the family how she wants it, since she has no real power via the title. She looks down on, and quite publicly scorns ANY non Gondorians who have begun in recent years to intermarry into HER society. The way she sees it, she may not be able to bear her late husband's title but she is at least a true blooded Gondorian.

Ondine's father was the elest son. The title was forced on him when his father died, but he fought it, eventually running away and leaving the title to his younger brother. He wound up in Rohan and fell in love with a pesant girl there. He married her and gave up on ever returning to his homeland, especially after Ondine was born because he knew his mother would never aprove of his new family. But when the war of the ring began, a message reached him and he returned home to help fight back the orcs in Osgiliath. He left his wife and daughter in Rohan, thinking them safer there.

Ondine's mother was killed by orcs, and her uncle (her mother's brother) who was among E'omer's faithful, sent word to her father.

He in turn, sent his brother and wife to fetch her and bring her into the family, even though he knew his mother would object. With his wife dead, he had no reason to return to Rohan, except for Ondine, so he desided to finally accept his title and pass it on to his daughter, just to irk his mother.

Ondine's uncle had married a beautiful, but frail woman who had been unable to bear him any children. The two of them loved Ondine dearly, as if she were their own and saw to her care willingly.

Her grandmother was, of course enraged and spent much energy in trying to tear down the girl's spirit, when she wasn't putting down the Steward's Rohirrim wife and the King's elven wife.

HISTORY: Ondine grew up in a hut on the Plains of Rohan with her parents, until her father returned to Gondor to help fight to hold Osgiliath from invading orcs.

While she was away visiting friends, her mother was killed and the hut burned by orcs. Her Rohirrim uncle sent her to her Gondorian family in Minas Tirith before he joined E'omer's troup of exiles.

Madame Maurissa Torros was pleased to have her son return, but not his "wild" daughter. As long as he lived, though, she had to accept the girl.

When Ondine's father died in Osgiliath, Madame Torros forced her youngest son, Sir Fallon Torros to again asume the title, but he refused to try for more children with his frail, fragile wife, declaring that he intended to relenquish the title, per his brother's wishes, to Ondine on her 16th birthday.

Playing off the laws, Madame Torros engeneered the inital kidnapping, wanting the girl to just 'disapear', but the person in whom she confided (Sir, Fevrre) planned to double cross her to further himself.

Because Ondine was the only heir, if he could get her legally pronounced insane, he could offer to marry her and try to father a child with her to inheirit the title, thereby establishing himself firmly into a more prominant higharchy than his own.

Instead of telling Kierul to kill Ondine, he was to keep her and try to make her crazy, or at least passably, so that she could not inheirit, unless someone was willing to marry her and attempt to have children to carry on the title.

Kierul was to keep the letter to set up Madam Torros. When he brought Ondine back, he was to say that, Sir Fevrre didn't know what she'd been up to at first, but when he finally figured it out, he hired Kierul to try to rescue the poor child, only to find her in this terrible state. He would then produce the letter that had been sent to his emplyer as evidence of the woman's evil plot.

Sir Fevrre then would feign guilt at his unwitting asistance in the plot and play the gracious benifactor, marrying the poor, insane child so that her title would not be lost to the family. He wouldn't be able to carry the title himself, but his ofspring would, and he thinks that Ondine's uncle will be so happy not to be saddled with either burden (insane niece in need of constant care, or the title), that he would allow this to happen.

Keirule used abuse and drugs to try to break her, and had nearly accomplished his goal when he made a fatal mistake and attracted the attention of Erinhue.

She now has about three months to get home and claim her birthright.

Madame Torros' the one that's been suppressing most of the news about her disapearance, but Ondine's uncle and aunt didn't believe that she wrote the runaway note that was found and have testified before the court their belief.

They say that because she grew up in Rohan and learned to write with runes before learning Gondorian script, her hand writing tends to be blocky, not smooth and flowy like script should be, and that, as anyone who cared to look would notice, the letter had been written with a Gondorian hand.

They have offered a reward for her safe return, or information leading to such, but Madame Torros has been quite succesful at stopping the word from spreading much beyond the city of Minas Tirith, and certainly not to be heard of outside of Gondor.

:ONDINE'S FAMILY LIST:
Sir Fallon Torros / Gondorian Uncle
Lady Haline Torros / Gondorian Aunt
Madame Maurissa Torros / Gondorian Grandmother
Lord Berron Torros / Father (dead)
Ingrid / Mother (dead)
Ione / Rohirrim Uncle

If I've left anything out or you'd like clarification on anything, let me know.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Oops! Stupid dial up internet!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank you for this useful information.

General FYI: I would say that Ondine's family would know Erinhue on sight since he has often played at court and as a boy he was apprenticed to a Master Bard that just happened to be Bard to the Court of King Elessar, the one that originally wrote and sang Frodo of the Nine Fingers at the celebration at the end of the War of the Ring.

Along with his (foster) brother Beliran, Erinhue is Lord of House Elitan of Dol Amroth. The princedome is a fiefdom of Gondor and the people share the same Numenorian bloodlines, although there are legends/rumors that the bloodlines of the people of Dol Amroth are distantly mixed with that of the Eldar.

Erinhue was a foundling discovered in the foyer of the Prince's main hall. The infant was discovered wrapped the blue and white flag of the Prince's line along with an enchanted, "living" harp fashioned in the shape of a dragon and a possessed double edged broadsword covered in ancient runes.

Since I seem to be posting an impromptu bio I will add this for anyone that might not know. The Bard could best be described as The Incredible Hulk. Erinhue's sword is possessed by the spirit of a Berserker (Longer story behind that one but not necessary here) When Erinhue looses his temper and draws the sword in anger he is possessed by the spirit of the sword, goes berserk, and in that state he does not recognize his friends. He can and will kill anyone or anything in his path.

Agarak is a Maia affiliated with Illuvatar himself. Its fire based power is virtually unlimited but it has a contrary obstinant and generally unplesant personality. It's duty in Middle Earth is to guide, and protect the Bard and chaperone his eventual evolution into The Champion of Light, Illuvatar's Bright Spirit sent to walk the world andbe a light against The Darkness. Erinhue does not know that last part yet, but Agarak does.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Okeday, then. Ondine's family might know him by sight, but I've written her only a few years (no more than 4, but more like 2) at court, so she personally, most likely would not.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Well, we'll see what Robin does. He needs some companionship, though being the companion of a Great Eagle is a hard act to follow. But we'll see. :D

Estes Park, Colorado

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Let's see what the guys say to this confirmation of suspicions.

And Tempest, I've already given permition to do with Keirule what you will, but if you'r uncomfortable with that and wanna PM and do some colaborating, let me know.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Claymore » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Excuses for the absence. My studies have a tendency to take over unexpectedly. Since everybody was upstairs taking care of Kierule I figured I might as well calm Touron instead of crowding the room even more. I hope I wrote him correctly however.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 am

That's my idea for how to proceed. I put it out in the story and now we can use makding the decission in the story. If we agree to go with this, it will be time to pack up our stuff and put this puppy out on its own.

We do need a name. I remember there being a suggestion I'll go check. :wink:

Good move Claymore there were more than needed in that room already.

Oooooo I got a feeling about this one folks. could be the start of something. 8)

erinhue

Postby shaggydog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:20 pm

OK just to clarify where I'm going - Ondine's grandmother was the cause of some major upset in Estelmere's life, although it was assuredly no big deal to Madame Torros herself. So that's his motivation for returning to Gondor with everyone else. Yes it's very contrived but if I had thought about it more, I would not have chosen for Estelmere to be a carpenter - they usually don't go on quests :rofl: But originally I chose that occupation as this is/was an inn thread. Oh well :roll:

And Finli was never going to be a major character, he was just for plot development :)
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Not ta worry Shaggy. A troupe of traveling performers would have need of a carpenter ya know, stage, sets ect. get it, :wink:

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 pm

*gasp!!!* You're asking Tempest to pretend to be part of an acting group!!! No one will ever believe her as an actress/bard!!! *end gasp*

I sense some comedic scenes on the horizon.... :P
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks Hue. Estelmere will be sure to be packing iron (his hammer :D)

OK I'll start some of the discussion that I think needs to be here and not the IC thread. Does anyone have any ideas about what the date is approximately? We have Ondine's age at almost 16, and her father and mother died during the war, I think. What age was she when her father died? I just need to know so I can figure out if Estelmere would have been in Minas Tirith during the war.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Okeday...

Ondine's aproxamately three months short of 16.

She's been 'missing' for 9 months.

I'm not sure of the exact time from the war to present, but I told Erinhue earlier that I thought she'd have been in Gondor no more than four years prior to that.

She came to Gondor during the war, I'd say just after Boromere left for Rivendell.

If this doesn't fit, I can easilly change it, but if it's confirmed, she'd have been been in the eleven to thirteen age range when she came to Gondor.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:44 am

So that puts us at the inn about five years after the war began? So about four years after the war ended? That would work for me. I think I left any references to how long Estelmere had been in Fornost kind of vague. Anyone else have any problems with that time placement?

Edit: Oh and Claymore - I liked your suggestion of disguising Ondine. And your use of the word "cross dressing" made me think - maybe Hue should dress as a woman bard - now that would really confuse them :rofl:
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:46 am

Hmmm :roll: I don't think so. I ain't that kinda bard. :twisted: Erinhue, much like me, is not gonna shave off his beard. :nono:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:20 am

:rofl: I already got my running shoes on :wink:

erinhue

Postby Claymore » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Hue I hope I did not assume too much when I wrote my post :D
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Use me, use me :twisted: I'm easy Claymore darlin' and I woulda let ya take a lot more liberties :wink: :wink:

If anyone objects to or has a better version of the Eastron language, I will change that line in my post. I simply made that up ( I almost posted Klatu Barada Nicto :rofl: )

Erinhue would indeed speak Eastron due to the fact that way back in I think it was one of the Elbren's Challenge threads, King Elessar sent the Bard into the East to spy for the good guys. He spent some time there passing as an Eastron bard.

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:42 pm

It's too bad I didn't bring in Brondgast as I first intended to. He could have joined the troupe as a dancing bear. I'll try to think up something for Robin to do.

Estes Park, Colorado

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tempest » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Maybe Tempest and Estelmere can just sell tickets at the door of the show.

Or they can be clowns. :P

After all, when things don't go well in a show, they send in the clowns.
Last edited by Tempest on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Gives us something ta look forward to. :twisted:

Oh, OK you can put that sword down now, Please :rose:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:53 pm

I asked the question in the story but truth is I do not know what to do about Kierul. We can't kill him, I got a strong feeling we should leave that door open for later. If we do take him, how? He is gonna try to escape, harm one of us or try to snatch Ondine again.

We could leave him with the guard, but I am not sure I like that either. So like I said, I'm stumped. Which way should we go with this?

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 pm

I have to admit this stumps me as well. I was about to post for Robin when this post came up with this quandary. Far beyond this hobbit. And I can't post for Robin until this is resolved. It's the same quandary that happened with Gollum. We can't leave him behind, we can't take him. To kill him would be just,but we can't do that either. He has some part to play before the end, for good or ill.

Estes Park, Colorado

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:34 pm

If we want to take him I thought of what might be a fix but I have to ask the group, how much magic are you all comfortable with me, as in Agarak, using. On the boards like for the Bard's Guild and other things, Agarak and I go flat out, sky's the limit magic alll day all the time, heck we raised Numenor for the last WCA's. but with the Mithril Knights I try to keep the use of Agarak's magic to a minimum. If we are playing fast and loose magic 24/7 then we can use that to solve the problem, I'll come up with an actual how if we are gonna go that way. I will go what ever way the group wants, but that's all I got to answer the question "How do you solve a problem like Kierul.

erinhue

Postby shaggydog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 pm

I could just keep clobbering him on the head with my hammer :D Course, no guarantees what shape he'd be in once we reached Gondor :D

And if you're going to use magic Hue, at least turn him into something useful, like a chamber pot.

I, for one, have no objection to any level of magic. Estelmere might be a bit amazed. But he'll just have to deal with it :)
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Though I like how Agorak could 'fix' the problem and I personally don't have issues with fantastical stories, I really like how this one is going -- without all the extra flashyness and awe factors. So, that said, I vote that we keep the magic to a comprehendable level.

Nuf said from me, and I thouroughly expect to get voted down, so what say the rest of ye?
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:08 am

i see your point, darlin'. I was intending to keep to a MK leval of magic use in this one, This tale seems more to the realistic side than the fantastical, and that is just fine with me BUT, I do not have another solution to the Kierul problem...not yet anyway. I got my thinking cap on though. :wink:

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 am

I say we hit him over the head really hard and say that he fell during a tumbling act. Then, his poor devoted sister (Tempest) has to keep such a close eye on him to make sure he isn't straining himself too much. :twisted:
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 am

Tempest wrote:I say we hit him over the head really hard and say that he fell during a tumbling act. Then, his poor devoted sister (Tempest) has to keep such a close eye on him to make sure he isn't straining himself too much. :twisted:

I like the way she thinks - long as she isn't thinking that way about me :D

I do see some need for the guy once it comes to confronting the granny and LeFevrre. How about a "simple" spell on him to make him mute and a promise he'll get his voice back once we reach Gondor - and if he tells the truth he gets to keep it (and whatever other body parts Agorak may choose to put in peril :D)

And then give him the option of being "taken care of" Tempest style
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:42 am

That I can do :lol: Cool suggestion. I'll let it simmer a bit until the words float to the top and the inner video gets rolling. I like this already and doing it would fit the stated magic perameters. Ooops sorry, a little MoST snuck in there :oops:

erinhue

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)