OOC - Land of the Serpents

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC - Land of the Serpents

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:47 am

Greetings!

There will be a new Rp starting shortly but before we begin I would like to post the basic rules:

• Have respect for other characters, their abilities and personalities. In other words, don’t have a character that isn’t yours act ‘out-of-character.’ If in doubt, ask their writer their opinion.
• No ‘God Complex’ characters- let’s keep it within the bounds of Middle Earth reality.
• This is the place for OOC; please do not clutter the story thread.
• Pay attention to what each poster has written and use it to help further your writing, the story, the creative process. If you are unclear about something…ask! Sure mistakes can happen but that’s what the edit feature is for, so Please don’t take offense if someone asks you to edit, change or delete something if their request is valid.
• If you're fighting or confronting another character, always leave them a potential out - never kill someone else’s character unless they say its ok!
• Please post your interest/intentions here.
• Please, no one or two line posts.
• Have patience please. All of us who will be writing here have RL issues that most often take precedence over writing for this RP. If at some point you will not be able to post for long periods, let us know here in the OOC thread. If you would like your character carried along, a simple request to do so is certainly welcome. If you abandon the RPG for whatever reason without notice, your character becomes the property of those that still remain posting…evil things have been known to happen to ‘homeless’ characters. J
Anyone is welcome to join. J
• If anyone is interested to join either at the beginning or somewhere down the road, please be sure to read the entire thread up to your jumping in point. After that please post your intentions and ask if it is ok.
• Complete bio’s are not a requisite, but a physical description would be appreciated (name, age, race, brief physical description). Bio’s come in handy for an established, well-known character IF their background history is relevant to the current story, but I feel it is better to work such information into your writing.
• Don’t be afraid to move the story along or even alter its course a bit, the best RPG’s are the ones that have many twists and turns!
• Have fun and use your imagination!

The adventure will start in Bree in the year 3020 and it is the month of May. It will head towards the land of Harad! This is a post war of the rings adventure. We already have a few members that will be on board writing in this RP, such as....

The Cast of 'Land of the Serpents'

Hunter/Naveen
Naveen & Najhim

-strider
Aeron

Heliona
Falmariel Narbeleth

Shadowfax
Del Brockhouse

Arassuil
Darius

shaggydog
Amel

Cock-Robin
Robin

Lebasi
Aeona

Shadowfax![/b]
Last edited by Shadowfax on Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Falmariel Narbeleth

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Here we go!

Right, here's my character:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Falmariel Narbeleth

Race: Human - probably Gondorian
Appearance: about 5' 2", petite and lean, dark hair and dark grey eyes, tanned skin.
Clothing: Grey-green cloak, obviously of Elvish make, and clearly well used and taken care of: it has been repaired at the edges. Grey clothing, with sturdy brown leather boots. Carries a bow and quiver, again subtly of Elvish make, obvious to those who have seen their like before. She also carries - concealed - a dagger. Also on her person she carries a small purse, which has some money in it and also her lock-picking tools and a small supply of athelas and other healing herbs.
She has a dark dapple grey stallion called Mith. He is used to only her as a rider and will not accept any other. He is also quite protective of her. He carries small saddlebag which contains some food and water. She rides using a small, lightweight saddle and the minimum of tack.
History: Unknown parentage, was lost from a ship as a small child and has no memory prior to event. Was rescued by Elves when she washed ashore on the coast of Anfalas. These Elves were Wood Elves (Silvan) who were travelling to the coast to find an Elf Haven to travel West. Finding all the Elves gone from Andrast, they settled their themselves to build their own ship. After finding and naming Falmariel, they brought her up until she was an adult, whereupon they set sail across the Sea and she was left to her own devices, with an Elvish horse as company and the skills and weapons that they left her. Subsequently, she has travelled Middle-earth, seeking knowledge. She has no desire to find her parents, for she considers the Elves her family.
Skills: She is skilled in all manner of woodcraft - tracking, herbal healing etc - and is skilled with a bow and dagger. She is an excellent horse-woman. She can pick a lock very well - a skill learnt when in Minas Tirith. Because of her upbringing with Elves, she can be perceived to be aloof to other humans. Once she befriends someone - and they have proven their loyalty - she is fiercely protective of them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Because of her history, I'm sure she could meet up with people anywhere, but I see no reason not to join in Bree.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Del Brockhouse of Archet

Race: Hobbit

Appearance: Del stands about 4’ tall. Wears mostly dark green clothing, leggings, hooded cloak etc… but his vest is more of a bright green color with polished brass buttons in keeping with traditional Hobbit attire. Del is rather stout as all Hobbits are and loves good food and drink! His eyes are green and brown curly hair frames his round face. Del has a small mandolin that he carries everywhere and plays it with such skill that even the Elves passing trough Bree are amazed at his dexterity.

History: Del was born and raised in a small village of Archet which lies to the north of Bree. His family is in the farming business raising a variety things but farming is not in his blood. His favorite thing to do his playing his mandolin for entertainment and coin at the Inn of the Prancing Pony. It’s easy work for him and he can make a good living do it, but Del’s tired of justing singing about far off places and great deeds……… he wants to experience them for himself.

Skills: Master of the mandolin, singer of songs. He has other skills that will be revealed in time.

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:45 pm

This sounds like it could be quite interesting! I like the ground rules.
I could throw in a post-war character for this I think. How 'post-war' is the time? Just curious about that.

Name: Darius
Race: Man - Dunlanding war veteran
Appearance: Curly, rough-cut hair and beard. Around 5'9" with tanned, leathery skin.
Wears greyish-brown rough-cut leather vest and breeches, with a belt of blades and small satchels he carries various loot in.

(The rest will be developed in-story.)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Arassiul!

Hunter will be posting the opening story soon that should answer the time line question. On a guess I'd say maybe a year or two after the rings destruction.....but lets see what she does.

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 pm

~

There for a time I didn't know if I could log on here! Tried with Naveen and got a reply saying she was inactive, then when I tried using my main ID it was so slow. When I finally got here, it was only to see both Naveen and Hunter logged in...weird!

Anyway, for those of you who may not know Hunter and Naveen are one and the same. I'll probably make most of my posts in the Rp storyline using the Naveen alt. Hope no one gets confused. :)

Basic info:

Naveen

Race: Man (Haradrim/possible mix)

Appearence: Naveen wears a leather jerkin and leather trousers, supple enough to allow freedom of movement in tight places yet they do offer a fair bit of protection as do the leather arm guards she wears around each wrist. She is of average height, slender but wiry. She is lighter skinned than most Haradrim, but has the dark hair and eyes of her mother’s race. She is proficient with sword and bow but her strength lies in slender throwing knives, of which she has many and the use of stealth.

Najhim

Race: Man (Haradrim)

Appearence: Najhim is tall and has a slender, muscular build. He’s from Harad so he has the dark skin and hair associated with those from that country. His wavy hair is long, but he wears it pulled back and tied with a leather thong. His facial features are finely chiseled; high cheekbones, a long, aquiline nose, clean-shaven cheeks, though at times he has grown a moustache or goatee. He wears no armor and prefers to wear a leather jerkin as Naveen does, but with it he wears the loose fitting trousers tucked into his boots in the style of the Haradrim.

~

Hey Shadowfax, the exact year is 3020 and it is the month of May (Thrimidge, by the Shire Calendar I think). Will you add it to the first post here so everyone will see it? Thanks!

~

edit for age change! :P strider
Last edited by Hunter on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Naveen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:25 pm

~

Aw, that's better, I got Naveen back!

Good to see you heliona, Arrasuil, and of course Shadowfax! Hope you like the opening.

Ok, now to get down to the story:

The Land of Serpents is a story set in the southern regions of Middle earth, mainly Harad and Umbar. The story starts in the spring of the year 3020, one year after the crowning of King Elessar. The Ring has been destroyed and Sauron is gone, but that doesn’t mean instant peace. Harad has always had it problems and the coming of a new King has done nothing to suppress them.

As the story opens, Naveen and her childhood friend Najhim, are sitting in the common room of the Prancing Pony Inn situated in the town of Bree. Najhim has just arrived from An Sakal, a town in Harondor and soon they will be leaving Bree to return south and that is where the main part of the story will take place. There will be ample opportunity to join, either as a long haul writer or as someone who just wants to pop in for a short while, so don’t feel you have to start your character at the Inn, nor is there a need for a character to necessarily know either Naveen or Najhim.

~
Naveen
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:46 am

Lovely opening, Naveen. :) I'd best get cracking on my post!
Image<-- Are you looking for me? It's Squirrel Month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby strider- » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 am

any objections to me not posting a character profile just yet? i just like the element of surprise and don't plan to read your character sketches yet either LOL sorry - it just helps/inspires me more, if it doesn't work though you can bet I'll be back here posting a character profile LOL :)
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:05 pm

~

heck no Strider, you don't have to post a profile...surprise is good! :)

In fact no has to post a profile, I just did because it seems to be the norm around here these days.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I don't mind at all, strider. As Hunter said, I only posted mine because everyone else did - and trust me, there's a lot more that what I've posted. :D
Image<-- Are you looking for me? It's Squirrel Month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby strider- » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 pm

LOL excellent thanks folks :) and who cares about the norm around here these days - can they really get after us oldbies too harshly? ;)
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Did I mention that Del had 'magical baby' powers when he was born in his Bio? Hmmm

Shadowfax :rofl:
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Ooooooooooooooo................old names from the past spring to life again! Pun! Aramere! :shock:

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 pm

hee hee ;) they're older but still springy LOL needed a familiar launching pad - better keep those magical baby powers under wraps dude... :rofl:
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 pm

LOL and I need to get better at editing before posting...that could have been better written - oh well chalk it up to rustiness?
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Naveen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:40 am

~

Pun!! I love it! He was one of my favorites! And Aramere! lol They both were a pleasant surprise. :clap:

One problem for me now, I'm going to have to age Naveen and Najhim a bit. What is Aeron's age so I can add the right number of years? Can't have them too close in age to Aeron if he is going to end up knowing of Naveen because of Aramere.

~
Naveen
Shield Bearer

Postby strider- » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 am

hey Hunter :) don't feel like you have adjust your character because of me I'm sorry forgot about that.... Well we probably won't see much more of Aramere and Pun as this is Aeron's turn. I put Aeron at a mature 19 or 20 years - having been raised with the goal of a kingdom he'd be a bit more mature than other 19 or 20 year olds maybe? Aramere was quite young when he came to the throne and I think we can assume he started a family quite young so it's possible that Aramere is just 37-40 give or take a few years, Pun is of course a tad bit younger if that helps. Does that work? If not let me know...40's the new 30 you know. ;) I'm so sorry for forgetting about that! Crap! Told you I was rusty!!!!
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 pm

I've got my post going up until just before the rain that Naveen mentioned at the beginning of her post begins, if that makes sense.

(I was going to arrive the next morning, but then I'd written that the day was sunny because I'd forgotten about the rain, so I had to adjust! See, strider, you're in good company! ;))
heliona

Postby strider- » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm

LOL well I'm such a dork I went back and edited it - sorry, I promise I won't do that again. I just included some better sentences and more detail that probably won't matter LOL
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:46 pm

I posted a bit just to get my character into the tale before it moved along too far. Compared to the thought-out characters and well-crafted story writings posted by you all, my seat of the pants character development on the fly seems rather weak in comparison. Hopefully I'll have something to add to it all.
:)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby strider- » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:12 am

it's all good Arassuil - don't worry about it! Seat of the pants is always a great place to start!
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Arassuil wrote:I posted a bit just to get my character into the tale before it moved along too far. Compared to the thought-out characters and well-crafted story writings posted by you all, my seat of the pants character development on the fly seems rather weak in comparison. Hopefully I'll have something to add to it all.
:)

Sometimes it's better to let the character grow along with the story........I think I've always done that to certain degree. I've changed character directions many times after reading some elses post and it sparks a great idea for me. Go with the flow. 8)

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:32 pm

I been watching this one and I would love to get in on it but I don't know as I will have time. I been doing The Bard so long now I don't think I can even do another character anymore. If I can get in, I know how to do it. Being a Mithril Knight, Erinhue would have gone underground along with the rest of whatever remains of the Guardians of Middle Earth in this reversal of fortunes tale. That would be where I start....if I can find time to do this RP justice. Meanwhile, I'll just lurk. :twisted:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Shadowfax » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:42 pm

erinhue wrote:I been watching this one and I would love to get in on it but I don't know as I will have time. I been doing The Bard so long now I don't think I can even do another character anymore. If I can get in, I know how to do it. Being a Mithril Knight, Erinhue would have gone underground along with the rest of whatever remains of the Guardians of Middle Earth in this reversal of fortunes tale. That would be where I start....if I can find time to do this RP justice. Meanwhile, I'll just lurk. :twisted:

Sorry..........no 'noobs' allowed!!!!!!!! :P

j/k

You know you're welcome if you want to join in.

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 pm

we love lurkers! :)
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm like Hue, I wanna play but I think I better wait til MoSt is over. I have a character in mind though, might be able to get you into Umbar, Naveen. And that would give me plenty of time to finish up MoST, I'm guessing. Did you already have a concrete plan for how you were going to get around this Al Salid character?
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Thank ya muchly, Shadowfax. 8)
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Naveen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:54 am

~

Yes Arassuil, seat of the pants is good! :)

erinhue wrote:That would be where I start....if I can find time to do this RP justice. Meanwhile, I'll just lurk.

Lurk away...and do jump in if ever you find the time! Would love to have you Bard, we do have a hobbit playing a mandolin! :)

shaggydog wrote:I'm like Hue, I wanna play but I think I better wait til MoSt is over. I have a character in mind though, might be able to get you into Umbar, Naveen. And that would give me plenty of time to finish up MoST, I'm guessing. Did you already have a concrete plan for how you were going to get around this Al Salid character?

You have a character who might be able to get us into Umbar? Do tell!

As for al Sahlid , no nothing concrete or down on paper for that matter, just a name thrown out.

I've read some of your Rp posts (but not had the pleasure of writing nor even posting with you before) and must say you would be a most welcome addition to our cast of characters. :)

~

minor edit
Last edited by Naveen on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naveen
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:55 am

I've also been lurking and watching. I'll wait for a while before I jump in as well. This rp is very intriguing.

The Letter G

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)