There and Back again: An adventure

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:30 am

Bartolomeo was mesmerized by the sheer magnificence of the sword, he could feel the berserker's spirit from where he was standing . He slowly walked over to the sword and placed his hands on it. He closed his eyes for a moment.

"Oh great spirit of the land and blade, I am not foe but friend, a friend from the sea and will fight beside you, we will strike fear in are enemy's and vanquish the evil that plagues the land. I Bartolomeo son of Lucien pledge friendship to you."

Bartolomeo stood back startled on what had come over him. He obviously did not understand what had happened and looked at Gandalf who had entered the room.

"Hmm very interesting" Gandalf was saying to himself, he was smoking his pipe and his grey eyes were fixed on Clarion.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lebasi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am

As the Gandalf strode back into the room, intent on the sword, the elven lady felt the same surge in the sword that Bartolomeo had felt and knew what had deterred it from seeking to drink a friend's blood. Her heart quickened as she saw the sword and stepped towards it.

"Clarion I see you and in part understand you. I, Aeona, daughter of elves and halflings, am an ally of you and your weilder and also pledge to you my friendship."

It was only after she had stepped from the sword and its power that she realised the change that had come over the young man... or perhaps boy, he seemed so young. The elf studied him more closely, wondering if it were simply an effect of the sword's power or something deeper.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Bartolomeo felt different, stronger, he saw the Elf's transformation and partly understood what went through her mind. Something had awoken inside Bartolomeo and he felt ready for the difficult adventure ahead. Looking at the Elf Aeona, Bartolomeo wondered if anything had awoken inside her.

"Well Erinhue and Clarion, you do not fail to wow a crowd! I remembered Clarion and im glad that you found a solution to the Berserker rage."

Gandalf was now sitting next to Bartolomeo and was helping himself to some of the stew.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Dirin was the next to lay his hand on Clarion. "Clarion, be assured that my friendship is with this group and with your owner. I am Dirin Daerdraug, Chieftain from the East, and I will not go back on my word." His reflection was noted on the sword.

Pallando followed suit. "I too declare my friendship, spirit of the sword. I, Pallando the Blue of the Ithryn Luin say it."

He looked up at Erinhue. "You may be glad of further news. And old friend of yours is circling above the inn this very moment. Meneldor the Swift will be coming with us, the Last Eagle, and the only one of the Eagles to wear the mithril collar of your knighthood."

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Sat May 01, 2010 8:32 am

Meneldor the Swift?” Erinhue echoed the wizard’s words.

The dragonharp chimed a few cheerful notes.

Erinhue smiled and nodded in agreement “It will be good at that. I have not seen Meneldor for far too long a time. This makes me feel much better about our venture now. Having the last of the Great Eagles on your side will even any odds and having two Mithril Knights along can only assure a successful outcome.”
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat May 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Pallando looked down on his pipe and then back at Erinhue. "Yes, he has changed much, that I discerned when he came for Dirin and I, yet I was not surprised." he said. "I remembered the first time he came East, wounded in his wing, wracked with doubt and the loneliness, missing his departed kin.

But I saw a destiny within him that he dared not cheat, and he received healing and counsel from me. Finally I sent him West, telling him he must journey far to find his purpose. It pleased me that he did not disappoint me. When I saw his collar, and the purpose in his demeanor, I knew he had found what he sought, yet knew not that he was seeking, or even what he was seeking. And he found it among you Knights. It is well."

He smiled, a rare thing for this Blue Wizard. "True, I was angry with him when he snatched Dirin and me away from our labors. But I couldn't stay angry."

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Mon May 03, 2010 6:45 am

"You can be sure that if Meneldor agreed to such an abduction it was at serious request and for more than good reason." Erinhue spoke in good natured defense of his fellow Knight and friend.

The bard pushed back his chair and stood up. "You will excuse me, friends, but if I am to take to the road and go adventuring with you there are things, many things that will need my attention here before I go. I might have gotten a wee bit bored with running an inn but I would like for the Lucky Fortune to continue until my return."

He made then a shallow bow and went off towards his office, singing,

"The road goes ever on and on
But take care of which road you're on
At least it should be worth a song
And that's why I'm a bard."

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Mon May 03, 2010 7:11 pm

"Well I suggest you all should follow the bards example and get ready for the adventure to come. But I wish to talk to Erinhue and Pallando alone, about some things concerning the adventure." Gandalf plainly announced.

With that Gandalf sat by the fire smoking his pipe once again. Bartolomeo made his way to a room in the inn. He was not tired but knew of the long journey ahead of them.
Last edited by Bilbo Baggins on Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Pallando looked to Dirin. "I trust you will be able to find some supplies for the journey." The Easterling nodded. "I need to find out what Bartolomeo wants to talk about." Dirin went about his business as Pallando went with Erinhue.

There was a big WHUMPH! on the roof, as if something large had landed there, and the sound of scratching. Some dust filtered down from the ceiling. A few amused tones came from Agarak.

Meneldor had landed on the roof of the inn to rest. He knew he would need it, if what Gandalf had told him about was true. He had ignored the things Pallando had said as he snatched him and Dirin from their home in the East and flew westward, swifter than an arrow. On the way, he had passed his old eyries, which still didnt' welcome him anymore. But then he had found a home with the Mithril Knights, and bore the collar that shone in the sun by day and moon by night.

Of course, nobody would molest something so big and fierce looking, so Meneldor had no worries.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Wed May 05, 2010 7:49 am

While Gandalf was waiting for the others by the fire, Bartolomeo's curiosity had taken control of him and he was outside the inn climbing to the roof to see the great eagle. He was magnificent! His Mithril collar shone in the moon light and for a second time that night he was memorized by the greatness, and the fierce beauty of something. The Eagle locked eyes with Bartolomeo and he felt a sudden warmth inside him as he sat cross legged examining the lord of the sky. He had of course only heard tales of these birds and often wished to meet one. Bartolomeo was quite content to spend the night up on the roof with Meneldor.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 am

Meneldor knew his landing on the roof would attract the curious. And it was not long before one of the adan climbed up on the roof to look at him. He watched as Bartolomeo gazed at him.

"Well met." he said at last. "Meneldor the Swift, Mithril Knight at your service. Though this is the time for decent folk to take their rest, and I assume you are decent folk. Who may you be? And where is Erinhue?"

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 am

“I’m right here.”

The bard stepped out of a sudden whirlwind of trail dust upon the roof. Erinhue tapped his fist to his chest in salute to the Last of the Great Eagles.

“Meneldor, it is more than good ta see you. Agarak is pleased to see you again as well. How fair ye, brother Knight and what do you know of this adventure Gandalf would send us out on?”

erinhue

Postby Lebasi » Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am

Aeona had caught at least one look of curiosity from the boy since they had pledged allegiance to the sword and the curiosity that he had had brought her to think deeper into herself. Something seemed to have risen in Bartolomeo as he touched the sword, something that perhaps helped to ready him for the adventure ahead. The elf considered this. Perhaps something was waking iside her too. Perhaps not. The sword had certainly gripped her, yet whether it had let go or not she was still uncertain. If anything had woken inside her, it was growing slowly. Perhaps this was fitting. It would be after the fashion of the growth of her mother's people.

Her interest still captured by the boy, Aeona made her way outside, having seen him go that way and wondering what it was that had drawn him out there.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 am

Mae govannen, fellow Knight." said Meneldor, nodding his head in the Bard's direction. "Mithrandir has told me some of what we face, some new evil stirring in Carn Dum. For that, I was sent urgently to retrieve Pallando the Blue and his Easterling companion. And it seems that he has gathered others on the quest." indicating Bartolomeo and the Elf that had just come out of the inn. He looked down at Aeona from the roof.

Mae govannen he said in greeting to her.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Wed May 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Bartolomeo was speechless. The Eagle was talking to him, Erinhue had appeared out of an whirlwind and now he was feeling light headed. He almost jumped from the roof when Gandalf suddenly put his hand of his shoulder.

"I was hoping to talk to Erinhue, Pallando, and Meneldor alone but it is probably for the best you all hear what i have to say"

Gandalf took a seat and asked if Pallando and Aeona could be brought up.

"Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall." Gandalf recited the prophecy that Glorfindel had made about the Witch King. There was a silence in the air and Gandalf pressed on. "I do not believe that the Witch-king of Angmar fell in battle. Eowyn was of the race of man. But i do hope I am wrong, for if I am not he could be at his former strength with the dark ring." He did not say anything else and waited for the others response.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 pm

"That can't be." said Pallando, as he came up with the others. "The fate of the Nine rests with the One, and with its Master, and we both know they have passed, Mithrandir."

"Yes, and I saw Barad-Dur fall," said Meneldor. "You were the one who sent Gwaihir, Landroval and myself to retrieve the Ringbearers from the ruin of Mordor, and the remaining Nazgul were destroyed, you saw it, too."

The Eagle didn't want to believe what Gandalf was saying. If this was true, he came to the conclusion that the wizard was coming to. Not by the hand of man. Of those there, he was the only one who was not man. Meneldor, who had never known fear, and had dived on the Nazgul without knowing their terror, was now chilled by what Gandalf said.

But, could this be what brought even Gandalf back from the West? He wondered.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu May 06, 2010 5:19 am

Not by the hand of man will he fall

Could the impossible prove true? Could the Scourge of Angamar still walk in Middle Earth? Was this the real purpose for their adventure?

A chill ran up Erinhue's spine when Gandalf spoke those words. While the bard looked like a man, that was not the sum of what he truely was. He had no idea of where he had actually been born, no idea wh his parents really were or of what line he had descended. When the Bard became the Champion he was not a man at all and Erinhue often wondered which was his true self.

This was why Gandalf had come to find him. If the darkness was gathering strength at Carn Dom, if the flame of evil again threatened the land it was his duty, as Champion or Bard, to snuff it out.

erinhue

Postby Lebasi » Thu May 06, 2010 10:51 am

Aeona shuddered as Gandalf spoke the words. Not by the hand of man will he fall. SHe remembered the compulsion, the premonition that she had felt. Was this the reason she had felt it? She remembered well the tales of the Witch King's fall. The elf had not herself been a part in the War of the Ring and regretted it greatly, but knew the tales of Eowyn of Rohan as clearly as if she had been present herself. "No living man am I..." Eowyn had not been a man, yet she had been of the race of men. Was it true... could it even be possible that the Witch King had not fallen as was believed, that, perhaps, the prophecy had meant of the race of men or a male of the race of men? Aeona paused. She was neither male nor man. Could that thought hav occured because she was needed, because the true death of the Witch King was imminent?

She pulled herself from the turmoil of her thoughts to speak "Is it as you suggest, that it can be, that even as we speak it is true?"
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm

"It is my greatest fear that he has risen, but I am weary and I will be going to bed. I will be locating and talking to the last of the Elves of Middle Earth about other possible locations of the rings."

Gandalf then climbed down from the roof, with remarkable speed for someone so old.

"The Witch-King has risen again it seems, I for one think that a sharp blade in his chest will solve this problem!"

Bartolomeo drew his cutlass and balanced it on the palm on his hand. In truth he was scared, but he did not want to show it in front of these great hero's.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Fri May 07, 2010 4:59 pm

"A sharp blade to the chest, you say? " Erinhue chuckled at Bartolomeo's words, but there was not much mirth in the sound. "I'd almost rather stick a sharp blade in my own chest than to go back to that place. I watched a dear friend die there and there was not a blessed thing I could do to stop it.

Yes I suppose there will be a time and place for heroics and I hope we do not come to either one for a good long time. Trust me lad, being a hero is not all what one might expect."

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri May 07, 2010 8:59 pm

"That is true." said Meneldor. "Remember what happened to Eowyn and the hobbit Meriadoc when they set blade to him. It almost killed them. And all blades perish which pierce that dreadful King."

"The persone who does that must be sterner than steel if they would not perish with the very act." said Pallando. "It is not something to go into lightly. I, too, need to go to bed while I can. Much needs done in the morning before we set out. And we must plan carefully. Even before he became Lord of the Ringwraiths, he was a powerful sorceror in his own right."

"You need only ask his son, whom I know." said Meneldor. "Thank the One he has turned from that dreadful legacy."

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Sun May 09, 2010 2:07 pm

"The Witch-King has a son? Who is he?"

Bartolomeo had never even heard tales concerning this. If the Witch_king had a son how could he had lived so long? Bartolomeo did not want to rest but knew of the journey that lay before them and decided that resting would be wise. But first the matter of the Witch-Kings son, needs to be addressed.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 pm

"His name is Dirk, and he is now one of us Mithril Knights." said Meneldor. "It was a struggle, but he turned down the horrible legacy handed down from his father. Erinhue and I know him." He looked to Erinhue to continue in this.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Thu May 13, 2010 7:30 pm

"You can tell me on the long trip to Fordwaith! As I am tired and needing rest. I been you all a good night."

And with that Bartolomeo skillfully climbed down from the roof and made his way into inn.

The next morning Gandalf was the first one up. He had made himself a cup of tea and had started a fire. He was waiting for everyone to get up, he would say his good byes and leave. He had much to do, he would go and see some of the last elves on Middle Earth and try and get some information about other rings.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lebasi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:37 am

Aeona rose quickly and hurried to finish preparations for the adventure she had taken herself into. She knew that they would be leaving early and didn't want to miss breakfast, at least for today. As she made her way from the room in which she had been sleeping, she saw Gandalf by a fire with a cup of tea, already prepared, and yet a detached expression on his face and his manner shifted something in her mind. Though she had only met him the previous night, she hazarded a guess at the reason.

"You will not be accompanying us on the road. Or at least not all the way." It was not a question, yet her tone suggested uncertainty.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 am

Ah,Dirk the Daring, Dirk the Bold," Erinhue sang the opening of a song he had dedicated to the young Knight. "Yes Dirk, once know as Smaug's Bane had the great misfortune of being son to the scourge but I can tell ya true, there was little family resemblence."

I suppose I should go down and get Treble ready for the road." Erinhue spoke from a desire to change the subject, as much as to excuse his coming departure. "I could get to where we are going in far faster time with Agarak's cooperation but the old worm would never consent to transporting our entire company so its on the road we go."

With that last word,"go", the Bard of Belfalas vanshed from the roof as he went to prepare for the coming journey.

erinhue

Re: There and Back again: An adventure

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

And yet, Meneldor knew that Dirk was no more, having met his fate at Carn Dum, the very place they were going back to. He missed the man, having known him for only a short time.

Pallando and Dinin were inside the inn, waiting.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)