There and Back again: An adventure

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

There and Back again: An adventure

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm

If you care for journey of there and back, out of the comfortable world, over the edge of Middle Earth, and home again, and can take an interest in a humble hero (blessed with a little wisdom and a little courage and considerable good luck), here is a record of such a journey and such a traveler In following the path of this humble adventure, you will learn much about trolls, goblins, dwarves, and elves, and get some glimpses into the history and politics of a vast and sometimes unexplored realm.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 am

Erinhue sighed deeply behind a field of papers scattered and piled upon his desk in the backroom office of the Lucky Fortune. Although he was a bard by trade and warrior by chance for more time than he cared for, he had been a man of business. Running a popular inn was not always about singing songs and chatting up the customers. Times had been hard lately. People always hoped to change their luck by buying the bard a beer. He was always happy to oblige and at times he almost nearly had enough. Almost.

On a cushioned stool nearby sat a slightly tarnished golden harp. It appeared to be a very special instrument, fashioned in the form of a little dragon with its strings forming the folded wings. Its mouth was open to display tiny fangs and a flame red tongue. Its jeweled red eyes seemed to hold a spark of life. They did. Agarak was alive.

“Old worm, I’m tired of all this. I long to roam the world again.”

A few notes of inquiry rose from the dragonharp’s untouched strings.

“No I wouldn’t want to go forever. I really do love the Lucky Fortune. I suppose I’m just bored, especially with all of this.” From behind his desk, Erinhue took a swipe at the offending papers. “A nice trip there and back would be just the thing.”
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Bartolomeo had been looking for adventure, well up to yesterday that is. An old wizard, a friend of his father suggested they meet for a beer at the inn called the Lucky Fortune. Bartolomeo knew the place, a well know Bard runs it. But he also knows wizards well enough to know that he never just wanted to have a beer.

With high hope's he made his way towards the inn. He walked into the inn and sat down in one of the seats.
"Ill have a pint, if you would be so kind."
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 pm

“Enough of this nonsense.” Erinhue declared and shoved his chair back and away from the desk. He stood up and walked out of the office to take up his place behind the bar. This was far preferred to the less pleasant but very necessary paperwork needed to run a successful inn. Young man barely out of his teens by the look of him had come into the Lucky Fortune and chosen himself a seat.

Erinhue noted that the fellow had chosen a table with the best view of the door and he had chosen a seat where he could keep all the comings and goings in view. In the bard’s experience this usually mean that someone was waiting to meet someone, for good or ill.

"I’ll have a pint, if you would be so kind."

“A pint it is and right away.” Erinhue called back from behind the bar. He went to the tap and drew the beer. Because he was presently alone, Erinhue came from behind the polished mahogany bar and served the beer himself.

A few plesantries were passed between them and then Erinhue returned to his station behind the bar. In a short time another patron came through the front door and into the Lucky Fortune, a wizard by the look of him. Erinhue looked up and smiled at the face of an old friend.

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Gandalf was in a hurry, he had a meeting with council in a fortnight, but first he had a debt to pay. Gandalf's main hope was that Erinhue would take the boy on the quest he has found. The Lucky Fortune lay close ahead and it was getting a tad late, he would have the whole night to convince Erinhue.

"Maybe I will be lucky and the bard will be bored, a mention of the boys father will possibly convince him."

But Gandalf doubted that, the Bard was not so easily impressed. He walked into the Luck Fortune and saw Bartolomeo sitting by the bar, and Erinhue behind the bar. Gandalf smiled, Erinhue looked bored.

"Erinhue, old friend, could I interest you in a adventure?"
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 pm

And just at that moment, the door flew open, and in came what looked like another old man, carrying a staff and dressed in blue. With him was a large burly man with the tatoos of an Easterling.

He walked up to the bar, simmering, his dark eyes fixed on Gandalf. He nodded to the Easterling to get something to drink, and he ordered an ale and sat down.

The one in blue was of Gandalf's order, but had not been seen in the West in ages. He was one of the Ithryn Luin, and he was called Romestamo, (East-helper) but was also known as Pallando, Pallando the Blue.

"Gandalf, this had better be important! I had some serious work to do back east, when that blasted bird Meneldor came and snatched Dirin and I away." It was part of a plan long set. It was unusual for Pallando to be so agitated, as he was usually the quiet one, speaking rarely, but when he spoke, it went right to the point.

The Eagle was circling above the Inn, having deposited the two Gandalf had sent for.

The Letter G

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm

"Ah Pallando, it good to see you. I hope you enjoyed the ride. Now it is a matter of great importance and if you would sit down I was going to tell Erinhue here about it. Now where was I? Oh yes, Erinhue I have an adventure for you that will demand the utmost importance. But first i would rather like a cup of tea."

Bartolomeo was rather bewildered. He had no idea what was going on, but the air of adventure was thick in the air and he absolutely loved it. But he could see Gandalf was going to take his time with unveiling of the adventure. At the annoyance of everyone in the room.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:23 am

Pallando sat down with Dirin, growling in an Eastern dialect. This was typical Gandalf, an annoying old man, but he knew Mithrandir had a purpose. And that he would take his own sweet time in telling of it.

It was that way at the White Council when they drove Sauron from Dol Guldur. So long-winded, but they finally threw their lot in with him against Saruman's wishes. He knew what he needed. He took out a pipe, one of the good things Gandalf had shown him, and a good way to clear the cobwebs from the mind and think.

It was a swift journey with the Eagle, who wouldnt' take no for an answer. And a frustrating and dismaying one. How he had to calm Dirin down. Why Gandalf needed an Easterling cheiftain, though one of the best, only he knew.

"And now we shall know why we were sent on this long journey, Pallando." said Dirin, putting down his mug with a sigh."

"It seems so." said the Blue Wizard. It would be a while before he would stop being angry with Mithrandir. He glanced at Bartolomeo. So this was a hobbit, he thought. Only Gandalf made much of the strange folk. He had spoken much of the one named Bilbo in his ears. He wondered if this one would be as surprising as the others he had heard of. He would have to find out.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Tea? Erinhue repeated. "That's a fine request for a place that serves the best ale this side of the Brandywine. But if it's tea you want." The bard looked up towards the niche in the wall where the dragonharp sat.

"Agarak, tea for the gentleman." A steaming cup of Golden Leaf appeared on the table in aswer to the request.

"An adventure you say?" Erinhue stroked at the short curls on his chin as he considered the prospect. "Well you did not use the words 'dire consequences" or "matter of life or death" or the dreaded "according to ancient legend". One of those would have sent me running for the wine cellar. A nice little adventure could be just what I need to chase the blues away. Just what is it that you had in mind and would you be needing my songs or my sword the more on this adventure?"

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Meanwhile, Pallando was watching the hobbit Bartolomeo. This hobbit seemed to be taking quite an interest in the conversation, and the fact that he chose a seat by the door indicated to him that this one was longing for an adventure. He was sizing the hobbit up to see what was in him. He wouldnt' be a wizard if he didn't notice such things.

Finallly, he waved him over. "You may call me Pallando if you like. I am known as Pallando the Blue. This is my friend Dirin," indicating the Easterling with him, who nodded.

"You look like you are longing for an adventure, if I don't miss my guess. But do you know what you're letting yourself in for? By the ones Gandalf is gathering," he swept the stem of his pipe around the room, "and the very fact he is involved, this is no hobbit walking-party. If I do not miss my guess, this will be a flight from deadly peril into deadly peril. Are you sure you want in on it? Decide now, for later, you won't be able to turn back." He returned his pipe to his mouth and made a puff of smoke.

Much would depend on the hobbit's response. He had never encountered one of the Shirefolk before, and his only knowledge of them was what Gandalf had told him about. He would give his counsel, as he was doing now at the moment. He was different from Gandalf, far quieter, and when he spoke, it went right to the point. Many thought when he spoke they were hearing the dooms of Mandos, and not without good reason. For in the West that is forgotten, he was and is, a vassal of Mandos.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:26 am

"From deadly peril to deadly peril." Erinhue softly repeated the eavesdropped words. "I knew there was one I had forgotten." The warrior/bard sighed as he too began to wonder just what he was getting himself into. Once again his inpulsive nature was leading him into the unknown.

" Ah well, Erinhue sighed again, "at least he didn't say anything about lurking evil rising."

erinhue

Postby Lebasi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am

The slight form that made its unnoticed way into the inn felt it welcome her like an old friend, remembering her first, hesitant enterance to the same place, now so familiar. She thought of the child that she had left in the realm of her mother's people and felt a pang, but reassured herself that it had been necessary.

Taking the hood of her cloak from her face in a single, flowing motion which revealed her sharp, even features and hair of a burgandy so dark it was almost black flowing over her pointed ears, she saw a small group of people clustered around the bar, in conversation. Aeona thought of the amount of times she had walked into an inn and sat in the shadows, listening to conversation or simply cutting herself from others and paused, interested in the group and wondering whether she should do so again. She told herself that she could simply make conversation with them. Eventually, she compromised, sitting at a table close to them, not attempting to conceal herself and watching them with undisguised interest, wondering if they would continue their conversation as she watched. Her bare feet, covered in a layer of hair, were visible below the table and her slender bow resting, easily acessible, against the it, as she never failed to ensure, even in the safety of the inn.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Gandalf took a seat in a chair, winked at the hobbit in the table near them and began his narrative.

"As you know that the rings of power are made by the Elven Smiths of Eregion. But the Elves also shared their talents freely with the Dwarfs of Moria and many powerful items were made, not connected to the rings of power. The Elves also made other items other than the rings of power. How many we do not know, but its believed that Sauron had made more than the one. Many of these items had been destroyed by war, dragons, and other tings. But some of the more powerful still exist. Some increase your life span, others make you blend in your surroundings, others are a light in the dark, and one will allow the wearer to cast dark magic but slowly transform him into a servant of Sauron. After much research I have definite locations of some, and possible locations of others. They are scattered around middle earth and the surrounding lands, a few are necessary to find, as this world does not need another dark lord. Thats why you are all here, to locate these artifacts and help restore some beauty that has been loss in middle earth. The rewards are extremely good but the travelings great. Can I rely on all of you?"

Gandalf relaxed in his chair and let his words sink in. He was confident that they would all accept. He blew smoke rings and directed them around the room changing their colors. Reminding him of adventure long past.

"That is why you were called here Pallando, you have a great knowledge of these items and hence you help is in valuable."
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Erinhue sighed again at the vague hints at some dark power rising once again to challenge all that was good and wholesome in the world.

"Mythweaver, my Ring of Power does not have such fantistial powers but it might be helpful in locating some of these things. I suppose this is why out of all the inns and taverns you have come to mine. That and...," Here Erinhue jerked his head in the direction of the lined niche above and behind the Lucky Fortune's bar. "the old worm there."

"You are quite right " Gandalf said as he puffed out deep scarlet smoke rings. "And don't exclude yourself, my friend. The Champion of the Light might be needed when we locate some of the more powerful and more dangerous items. The good of all of Middle Earth could depend upon it."

"I knew I should have run for the wine cellar." Erinhue said with a ruefull tone.

From the cushioned niche a chatter of sharp notes rang out.

"Yes I know." Erinhue replied. To Gandalf he said "I suppose then that it will be my sword that you'll be needing."

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:38 pm

"Who else's sword would I need old friend? You have proven yourself more than once in battle, and indeed your ring would be a help, being made by the elves it will glow a faint green I believe when in the presence of an other item of power. Isn't that right Pallando? Now Erinhue what can you tell me about the icy lands of Forodwaith?" Gandalf voice lowered as if he was talking about something most grave.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Erinhue groaned aloud at the memory.

"It is flat barren land buried under ice for most of the year. Not that it would bother me but the other Knights were always complaining about how cold it was when we were last there.

The Lossoth are hospitable enough if approached correctly. They don't have permanent towns or villages, they are nomads that move around a lot. Very difficult to find, even if they are not avoiding you."

A tremor ran through the bard before he spoke. Memories of the cold were not what made him shiver.

A wise too late expression came over his face as Erinhue shook his head.

" I should have known. You would not come to me for some summer strole through the woods. I remember, you got this look over your face when I told you about those werewargs that seemed to be made of smoke and fog."

An odd light came into Erinhue's sea gray eyes. His voice rose in final realization.

"That's why you've come. You want me to fight those monstrous things again. Gandalf, I thought I was your friend."

erinhue

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm

"Werewargs will be the least of your worries my friend, you will all will be heading to the dark mountains of Carn Dûm, where the creation of the dark lord sits. I have spoken to numerous Dúnedain and they say that a dark evil has once again taken over the halls. Now the West side had been destroyed by a war long ago, but the North side is accessible and you can possibly find information about the evil that dwells in Carn Dûm. I have said much and I am famished, before continuing I would love some stew and ale my friend Agarak."
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm

"Stew would be good for Dirin and I as well." said Pallando, puffing on his pipe. For the most part, he had listened and not joined in on the conversation.

"As for the artifacts, it is ages ago that I studied the lore. I had more pressing things to think of in the Eastern lands. I am surprised that neither Saruman nor yourself didn't delve more into that, Gandalf."

He thought a little more. "There was one of the artifacts that surfaced that is an heriloom of Dirin's tribe."

Dirin nodded. He lifted a stone that was on a fine chain down to his chest. "This is the Stone of Truesight, It aids me in seeing things as they really are, which helped me a lot against the illusions of the age."

Pallando blew a smoke ring and said "It is one of the least hazardous of the artifacts, which is why I let him keep it. It has actually helped him a lot."

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 am

Carn Dum? Erinhue cast a longing look towards the celler door. He had ventured only once before to that deep dark place and once was far more than enough. This was going to be far more than the simple break from boredome he had anticipated. If they were going anywhere near Carn Dum the mission could indeed become one of life or death.

As Agarak was quick to remind him that was exactly the sort of adventure the Champion of the Light should be involved in and since he, Erinhue, was the Champion it was nothing less than his duty to go along and provide whatever assistance he could.

As there was no way to get to the Champion without going through the Bard, Gandalf had come himself, knowing full well that had he sent a messenger with this dire request, Erinhue might very well have declined.

erinhue

Postby Lebasi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:44 am

Aeona's pointed ears took in the conversation attentatively, he sharp, almost piercing eyes roaming about the small group. The two wizards and Erinhue seemed to know each other, talking animatedly, while the others spoke little, perhaps less accustomed to this preparation for peril than their companions.

She listened intently to their discussion and considered it deeply. She sensed a feeling in her heart, one that she had had before, or one similar, one that drove into her a compulsion to join the group. Thinking about the child she had left in the forests of her mother's people, she felt another pang and tried to push the compulsion away, for the child's sake: she did not want to leave him motherless. The desire, or not a desire, more a premonition, grew stronger, overwhelming her fears. She had been on adventures before, but not on this scale, leastways, not since she had born her child. The feeling burned in her like a fire and she thought of the wink that the wizard Gandalf had sent in her direction, taking it as a greeting or invitation, she stood.

The slender form, slightly shorter than one of the race of men moved close to the group, her height showing that though she clearly had some relation to hobbits, she could not be one in her entirety. "Greetings," her voice, even now rarely used, seemed too loud, especially to her "my apologies, but I was unable to avoid hearing your conversation," faces, surprised and dismayed, greeted her, each one except that of Gandalf and what she next said must have come ofsurprise "I understand the danger of your task, but I offer you my bow on your quest, little though it may seem to offer," she sighed. Her voice seemed almost hollow to her own ears.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 am

Pallando removed the pipe from his mouth. "Indeed, it seems it was meant that you go with us, my dear Elf. Forgive me, I didn't catch your name. But you are welcome among us."

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 pm

"We will glad to have you bow! Especially that's its being held by a beautiful maiden like yourself!" Bartolomeo has spoken for the first time and with everyone staring at him he quickly sat back down blushing a deep red.

"Thank you Bartolomeo, your words did great justice to the occasion. Now you all will be leaving tomorrow so I suggest you get some rest while you can. It will be a long journey by foot or horse. I will see you all in the morning,"

With that Gandalf rose from his seat and made his way to the rooms that were located in the inn, leaving the assembled group to there own thoughts.
Last edited by Bilbo Baggins on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 am

"Your bow will offer a lot more help than mine, darlin'" Erinhue laughed. " I am just an awful shot, never could get the hang of it."

Erinhue next called up to the dragonharp "Stew for the gentlemen, old worm, set a round of stew and black bread and sweet cream for us all. Adventuring is hungry work and best started on a full stomach."

He stepped near to Aeona and pulled out a chair for her to sit in. "I don't think we have met but that's no reason to forget my manners." The bard dipped in to a courtly bow and flashed her a wink and his starbright grin. "I am The Warrior/Bard Erinhue of Belfalas, song or sword at your service. Most of my friends call me 'Hue, and you can too."

The steaming bowls of the wonderously scented stew appeared along with silverware and black bread and cold classes of rich sweet cream. Erinhue sat down besied Aeona and across from Pallandro. He winked at the blue wizard saying "Fine choice, Sir. Nothing like Hobbie's best stew before facing life or death adventure."

erinhue

Postby Lebasi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Aeona smiled slightly, much more at ease than she would have been before in the company of these people, a larger group than she would have encountered in a long time at that period. Briefly, she considered describing her heriatige in detail, but dismissed the thought. An elf she was as much as anything and the race induced respect in many. The stew was good and as the elf sat, only very slightly less comfortable than most of her new companions and she almost relaxed, until the bard's words led her mind back to reality. LIfe or death. An image flowered in her mind: a young child, alone and motherless in the forests of her mothers' people, different and not synchronised with the rest of the world, even if his people respected him, as she had been before, but worse, more unsynchronised. His future held grief and seperation, especially if he became motherless.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 pm

"Carn Dum? Werewargs ? My uncle often talked of Goblins, mines, and dwarfs in my childhood, but nothing like this. Now how far away is Forodwaith? I have heard tales of Carn Dum, and if the tales are half as true, this going to be quite an adventure."

Bartolomeo's youthfulness and energy really shows itself when he talks, he's excited, but scared. He has heard tales of the bard and his adventures, but kept himself calm, a true man of the sword does not get to excited. Or thats what his father always said.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:52 am

Gandalf left the table leaving the rest of the small company to finish their meal. Erinhue looked around the table at his soon to be traveling companions. Pallando was not as well known to him as was Gandalf but he was a wizard and that spoke for itself. The others all appeared eager but inexperienced. The girl had the look of one that had seen a thing or two on the road but the others appeared to be babes in the woods. Gandalf was right, they would need looking after on this adventure. A journey to Carn Dum was no fair stroll in the park and who could tell what danger and evil lurked there waiting.

From the looks of things here at the beginning it appeared that the little band had only one sword, his, but if there were going to be only the one, Clarion was the sword to have. The time to find out was before they set out so he asked the question that weighed on his mind.

“Carn Dum has been quiet of late but whatever lingering evil in this part of the world would be draw there and we might need to fight our way through. Have any of you been on an adventure such as this before? Are any of you skilled with weapons and capable of defending yourself against whatever we might encounter?”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 am

Dirin stood up and raised his axe, the axe of an Easterling. "Need you ask?" he said. "I am a warrior of a tribe of warriors! Let all foes fear and beware! Many are the horrors that have lain at my feet under my axe."

Pallando smiled. "I, too, am not unskilled with a sword if need be. In the wilds of the East, one needs get tough or die."

He uncovered a sword belt on his robe.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 am

"I have experience with the sword, but not in battle."

Bartolomeo drew his cutlass from underneath his cloak.

"The blade was my fathers and the hilt is my own, I know how to use it but its never seen battle in my own hands."
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lebasi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 am

"I have seen battle and adventure, but none such as this for some time," the elfin lady's voice was quiet but clear "I fight with my bow, but also wield a long knife in close combat, both from the elves, my mother's people,"
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:38 am

That’s just fine and far better news than I had hoped.” Erinhue said after the group had made their declarations. “Since you all have done me the honor of showing your weapons, it is time that you see mine.?

The bard held up his left hand and called out “Clarion, to me.”

In instant response a double edged broadsword appeared. The hilt now gripped in its owner’s left hand, was ornately wrought and the blade was engraved hilt to tip in ancient runes.

“Clarion is no ordinary blade. It is possessed with a berserker spirit, which in turn possesses me should the blade be drawn in anger. There was a time when the Berserker presented as much danger to my friends as it did to my foes and to fight along side me in such a state was a danger unto itself. I have gained control over that failing but that is based upon a charm once placed upon the blade.”

Here Erinhue laid Clarion down on the table. “To ensure your safety should there be need to call on the Berserker, I would have you each in turn place your hand upon the hilt and turn the blade so that your face is reflected on its surface. In this way the blade comes to know that you are friend and will not seek your life’s blood on the field of battle. I ask you now to each place your hand and reflection upon the blade and announce to Clarion that you are indeed a friend and ally. The blade has sought the blood of my friends in the past. This charm should put your mind and mine to rest that this shall not occur on this adventure.”

erinhue

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)