OOC: The Mithril Knights v2.0

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: OOC: The Mithril Knights v2.0

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:16 am

Guild Business Here.
I was just thinking that with this pause in the MK action, and the coming Memorial thread, it might be a good time to open the registry and invite candidates for Knighthood. The Memorial thread would be a good place for those who come to remember Dirk and who are so inspired, to seek to join the Knights. It would be a logical time and place for hopefuls to make contact with the Knights and set up a good situation for writers to show what they got in writing such scenes and in the memorial thread.

As Guild Herald I should be up on these things but my memory never was what it used to be so we might have decided this already. I say that the excellent work both C-R and Claymore have done in this thread is sterling proof of their quality and worth. I say that there is no need for either to go on a seperate Knight's in Training mission. The purpos of those was always to see the type of work the candidate could do in a thread, not just their own writing but how they could work with the group and how they contributed to story. I have seen all of that that I need to and I have no doubts about it. I say we go right ahead with their honorable induction.

Should the possible opening of the registry produce any candidates, their KiT can also be the start of our own new chapter.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 am

Since we have not had one for a long time, I am trying to recall the details of an induction ceremony. All additions or corrections are very welcome

We go to one of the guild houses, don't recall if it matters which, we have a party that ends in a ceremony where the inductees are sworn in, spoken over, given their cloak, a medalion/brooch with the MK emblem and told to go choose an item from the armory. there are all kinds of things in there and not all of them obvious weapons. The inductee must describe what item they are choosing and come up with a little history of what said item is.

After that there is another more mystical/magical ceremony in a room that has the covered with tapistries showing various scenes from Middle Earth/MK history. I think we give you what scene by seating the inductee in front of one of the tapestries. The inductee drinks something or breaths in smoke and in a dream like state finds themselves inside the scene in the tapistry in a sort of what would you do situation. It's a test so the inductee would like to write something that shows off the character/honor/bravery/whatever of the inductee. When the scene is done the inductee wakes up peacefully in bed wondering if it had all been a dream...or not

erinhue

Postby Guruthostirn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am

Regarding the inductions, check out the MK website. It's got most of our history there, it should fill in the details. C-R and Claymore do not need a separate thread, we can do the inductions here, and they have met all our conditions, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Now, regarding new members: 'Hue, I like the idea of having potential knights writing in the memorial thread. We do need to know the writing quality of potential members. When I joined I submitted previous RP posts as a resume, and I do believe we should keep that system. I also believe we need a separate KiT thread. I could use a little break before our next adventure, and the next KiT tale can do that. It's also a good measure of how well a potential knight can keep a story moving...if we have to wait too longto get started again, that may influence our decisions.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am

Cool. I will have our good King post a Proclaimation of Recruitment for the Mithril Knights in the Raging Battle thread. Could I get a link to the MK site, for me and to include in the post for background info. Maybe we open a thread or an OOC for recruitment info should there be a need/reason to do so.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

... that is with the concent of The Boss :D

erinhue

Postby Claymore » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 pm

http://www.mithrilknights.org/index.html

I've been keeping it in my bookmarks for years :wink:
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Guruthostirn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm

That's sort of what the guild thread was for, I believe. A place to discuss MK business independent of the story. But I'd say yes, we should make it known we are preparing to accept new Mithril Knights.

I'll have to see if my sister still has access to the mailing list, see if it's still active. Further discussion of new members should be private.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Mission accomplished. Nothing to see here. :)
Last edited by Leoba on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Looks like I have some work to do. I'm on it!
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:35 am

So, I'm working first aid at an 8th grade girls basketball tournament and I just reread the last few pages of the story. Wonder if any of the people around me noticed my tears? Anyway, I'm going to wrap up this thread in a few days. I'm going to get the "Mithril Knights" id resurrected to close things out. Then I'll start a new rp thread with it after Dirk's funeral for initiations and preliminary work on the next adventure. If anyone has final words for this story, post them in the next few days please.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 pm

The Bard is over and out at the moment, probably gone off to nurse his grief and or drown his sorrows. finding him will be my way into the Memorial thread.

So sorry to see this one come to an end but I am also happy that it has come to an end instead of just fading away as so many RP's have done in the past. I am so looking forward to starting up again. I thought I had to do it for story purposese but now I am a little sorry that I wrote the Bard out of this already, means I have nothing to play with right now. Can't wait to get started on the Memorial , our inductions and a brand new adventure. Yeeeeah Team :D

erinhue

Postby Guruthostirn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 pm

I'd imagine you could continue over in the thread Bardy and Leoba have been playing in, 'Hue. It seems like the place to put what Erinhue is up to now that he's disappeared from the main group...
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Guruthostirn wrote:I'd imagine you could continue over in the thread Bardy and Leoba have been playing in, 'Hue. It seems like the place to put what Erinhue is up to now that he's disappeared from the main group...

Absolutely. That thread is there for anyone inspired by this thread, or no longer in it, who needs somewhere to play. And it's a very good place to write about receiving Dreaded Dispatches of the Doleful Demise of Dirk the Daring (good lord, the alliteration gets worse every time I write that!).

Leoba and Bardy's news-taking is now up (Please Read :D )
Last edited by Leoba on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Bardhwyn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:43 pm

That's what the thread is there for! :)

For little vignettes and self-contained stories...

And yes, please read *coughSmaugsBanecough* - good stuff happening there - have tissues handy. ;)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I did a 'farewell wherever you fare' post in preparation for the Memorial Thread. I may post in your thread, Bardy, for a few, then when SB is ready, the memorial for Dirk shall begin.

Happy New Year!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby SmaugsBane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Ooh. Nice twist. I was totally picturing a procession from Carn-Dum to Laketown. Eagles move faster, which helps with the question of putrification. Dirk's face can be visible at the funeral. Only problem now is the rest of you getting to Laketown in time. C-R, do me a favor and let me write your reception in Esgaroth. Go ahead and write all the way up to Meneldor's arrival on the Lakeshore (not in Laketown proper, please) and I'll get him across the bridge from there.
Last edited by SmaugsBane on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

I have an idea to preserve him for as long as it takes until the services begin. You all can take your time getting there. Look for a flurry of posts from me in the next couple of days.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:42 pm

You got it, SB. I was doing Meneldor from Carn Dum to Amon Sul. If you want to write him to Lakeshore or Laketown, please do. I'll look forward to it. Amon Sul is one stop. I was hoping for somebody to do the ceremony of the installation of the palantir of Amon Sul, as I'm kind of weak on ceremonies. I'm looking forward to your posts, and I'm glad you've found the Mithril Knights logo.

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 am

I will silently follow now till such a time as I feel lead to post once more. Thanks for the adventure everyone!! :grouphug:
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:16 pm

SmaugsBane wrote: I was totally picturing a procession from Carn-Dum to Laketown.

Yes, funnily enough so was I, SB, something like this…

Once shrouded, and positioned westward, Dirk’s body was allowed to rest while the upper ranks of the Rangers and those of the Mithril Knights conferred.

There was no question, the Mithril Knights asserted; Dirk would be memorialized in Esgaroth and buried in sight of the Guildhouse and of the Lonely Mountain.

Perhaps, it was suggested, the Knight-Postulant Meneldor would carry him with honor back to Laketown but the young Great Eagle shook his head.

“No, my grief is too great to carry such a burden alone,” the young eagle said. “And I would not wish to deprive my fellow Knights of the honor of Dirk’s company on his final trip home. No, Dirk came with us to Carn Dum, and he shall leave with us and together we take the long road home.”

“But his remains, they will not keep for the duration of such a journey,” the Chief Ranger cautioned.

“Not unless we preserve them, as of old,” Anorast offered. And the Elf then recounted how, in ages past, the remains of valiant warriors were preserved for burial by submerging the body in distilled spirits, and kept safe from the air and sun, until delivered home to kith and kin so the proper rites could be observed.

“A coffin, made of young wood, sealed with pine pitch, that would serve,” a Ranger then added. “My father is a boatwright, and I know how to make the pitch…”

“And I am a carpenter, when not fighting orcs,” another Ranger said. “We can do this.”

“Our healers will not be pleased, but I’ll arrange that a barrel of spirits used for the cleansing of wounds be delivered to you,” the Chief Ranger added. “We will honor Dirk’s sacrifice by ensuring all can pay tribute to him in your Guild’s city. The free peoples of Middle Earth will be able to see his face as they bid him farewell, as is fitting a Mithril Knight and a son of Middle Earth.”

A coffin was made, the pitch boiled and applied. Dirk’s body was carefully, and respectfully, laid within and then seeped in the medicinal spirits. When the coffin lid was placed, the Knight Vana took a sharp intake of breath; they would not see their beloved friend until they reached Esgaroth. It was the beginning of the long trek home.

The coffin was placed onto a flat-bedded cart draped with the colors of the Knighthood. At the foot of the coffin was placed the Palantir of Amon Sul. Four torches were driven into the ground to mark the four directions and set ablaze as the dusk drew in and Meneldor agreed he’d keep the first vigil over Dirk’s body that night.

The Mithril Knights, battle weary and heavy hearted with grief, assembled at dawn the next day. They, along with several carts laden with tents, supplies and food and, most importantly, Dirk’s funerary cart, now pulled by two, splendid white horses, all turned southeastwards, towards The Great East Road.

Their journey would be long; once on the Great East Road they’d make for Rivendell, where they’d rest and revive themselves before making for the High Pass over the Misty Mountains and down onto the Old Forest Road. There, the journey would be straight, but long, through the Greenwood until they meet the River Running. Northwards, then, they would follow the western bank of the river until The Falls herald the southward tip of the Long Lake and then, following the western banks of the Long Lake they would arrive at their destination: Esgaroth. A journey of close to a thousand miles that would take nearly two months to finish.

Their progress was steady; their hearts and tongues were silent at first, however, all weighed heavy with grief. With the setting of each sun, a camp was made; the torches were set and lit around Dirk’s bier and a Mithril Knight would volunteer to keep the vigil, foregoing sleep. The morning would come and the camp struck; the procession would make its way for yet another day.

In time the grief eased and the Knights accompanying Dirk found their hearts somewhat lightened; some would find themselves smiling with a memory of their fallen friend, others would laugh at one of Dirk’s jokes, long told. Quiet conversations occurred where recollections were shared, as well as grief.

When the procession arrived at a village or hamlet, the inhabitants would mill about their encampment and ask about the coffin and the person therein. And, at the sight of the gleaming white horses and the brilliantly flaming torches, they’d exclaim: “He must have been a great warrior!”

“He was,” the Mithril Knights would explain. “A very noble and very brave man who gave his life so his fellow Knights would be victorious.”

The villagers would listen, wide eyed and sobered; suddenly aware of whom they were speaking with. “You’re the King’s Mithril Knights!” they’d exclaim. “You slew the dragon! Please tell us! Tell us the tale of Dirk the Daring and the slaying of the vile worm of Carn Dum!”

And so the Mithril Knights told the story, again and again with every village or hamlet they met and the people would listen, enthralled; they gasped at the amazing feats of the golden harp, cringed at the description of the horrid, flying cold drakes, cheered when hearing the tale of the dragon’s bright and spectacular demise, and they wept when told of the finding of Dirk’s remains.

The feats of the Mithril Knights became the stuff of tale and song during that long, procession home to Esgaroth. Troops of minstrels and troubadours would seek them out along the way, careful to learn and memorise every Knight’s name, every deed and thus the songs were written: ‘The Doleful Demise of Dirk, the Daring’, ‘The Cry of the Golden Dragon Harp’, ‘The Death of Mauglar, The Mighty’, ‘Tempest’s Lament’, ‘Vana’s Sigh’, ‘The Elven Knight, Son of the First Born’, ‘Speed On, Oh Eagle’s Wing’, and the touching and haunting ‘Niniel’s Tears’.

Their respite in Rivendell was brief; the sons of Elrond gave due respects to the fallen Knight, and took, on behalf of their brother-in-law, the Palantir of Amon Sul with promises of it’s safe installment in it’s home of old. The procession moved on, lumbering through the Misty Mountains without incident for no errant goblin or orc would dare attack such a mighty company. They reached the Old Forest Road and breathed deep the air of Rhovannion.

More villages and more hamlets were met and again, the people needed to hear their stories. And so the stories were told. At the end of the tales, as the night grew old and it was time to depart, many a village man or woman would quietly approach a Knight before returning home to their ricks or cots, and, along with a light touch upon the Knight’s arm, say ‘thank you.’

Once in the Greenwood, the procession was met with woeful song; the Elves raised their voices in lament for their adopted, fallen son. Quietly, without a word, the Mithril Knights were joined by ceremonially armored knights – Thranduil’s honor guard, wearing high helms and carrying gleaming spears. Their backs were straight, their eyes hard and their horses proud and Dirk’s memory was thus honored as he travelled through the King of the Greenwood’s dominion.

As the Mithril Knights arrived at the banks of the River Running, the songs of many thrushes could be heard ringing in the trees. Were there a true-hearted Daler present they would have heard and understood the thrush’s songs; all were praising the heroic feats of the Knights and all were pleased to see them return home. Anorast, with his keen hearing, thought he heard the voice of an old crow, calling out a hoarse and rasping ‘Welcome!’.

The news of their immanent arrival had reached the wooden halls of Esgaroth and the resplendent palaces and villas of Dale long before the Mithril Knights emerged from the Greenwood; Thranduil’s messengers heralded their coming.
Throngs of people met them along the road, carrying flowers and banners but all were silent. The people came to welcome their heroes home with respect and honor, all filing in silently behind the procession as it wound its way northward to Esgaroth.

...thereabouts. Just what was rolling around in my mind.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Bardy darlin', you ever consider joining up with the Mithril Knights?

erinhue

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 pm

:blush: Why, Hue, I'm flattered. Due consideration will be given. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Bardhwyn of Dale; you are awesome. That is all.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Leoba, hows 'bout it. Ever consider hangin' with the Knights?

erinhue

Postby Leoba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 pm

It's very flattering to be asked, Erinhue.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Um, yeah Bardy EXACTLY like that.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 pm

C-R, please edit your post to not include Dirk's corpse being taken for a ride to Amon Sul while the palatir is delivered and put into place. I would like to see Bardy's post in the story thread soon. It is more in keeping with Dunedain tradition and is what I truly want for Dirk. I don't generally like to stifle other's creativity. But the more I think of it, the more I think it is warranted in this case.

Bardy, Please let me conclude the reception at Esgaroth, so I can add in Dirk's foster family. Thanks everyone.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Guruthostirn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Bardy, Leoba, I'll echo 'Hue and say it would honor the Mithril Knights to have either of you among our ranks.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Will do, SB. Sorry I jumped the gun. :(

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

That was a great post, Bardy. SB, do you want me to edit my post further, even though it eliminates the post I did in the other thread? This one had Meneldor remaining as well as the palantir of Amon Sul. I'm not sure what to do. Please let me know. Or email me.

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)