OOC(3) :: Redemption, The Reckoning

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Rodia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 am

Danke. :(

Yeah, I guess I did, even though I never do very well in situations where I'm stuck with a bunch of people all day. I go a little crazy eventually. I need my space.

What I enjoy most about trips like those are the breakfasts. I come downstairs and there's a basket full of crunchy, fresh, golden brötchen, and cheese all nicely sliced, and a fruit cart, and chocolate spread, and a million other things which Someone Else laid out for me and Someone Else will have to clean up.

:angel:

I go almost every year, and every year I promise myself next year I'll speak German. Well...getting there. I can understand most of it, I just have to say 'bitte, langsamer' and everything is fine.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:54 am

Most of my German comes from WWII movies. If I ever go to Germany, I'm afraid shouting Hände hoch won't go over so well. :lol: Although a cousin of mine got through a week long trip on "Geben Sie mir bitte zwei Bier" if I'm to believe him.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Rodia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:11 am

Frelga wrote:Most of my German comes from WWII movies.

Then you should know that German is really just English wiz a vehrry fick ahkzent.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 am

Not in Russian movies. :P And the English speakers don't yell "Verfluchten Schweine!" quite so often.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Rodia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 am

Ah, for a moment I forgot you were from my corner of the world.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:37 pm

We will soon have a German join our department. No more German jokes and what ever we do, we can't mention the war. * sigh*

Hey, ah - the second post... I just re-read it. I don't think it is done, is it? It needs rounding off somehow.

Anyone?
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:We will soon have a German join our department. No more German jokes and what ever we do, we can't mention the war. * sigh*

Um...sorry to tell you but every conversation ALWAYS ends up on the topic of the 2nd War (unless you meant another one :P) Are those guidelines someone gave you?

I'm kinda shocked. German jokes, I get, because it's not polite, but no mention of the war? How will that even work? Are people not allowed to mention certain things to you on account of you being from the US? :P

It's kind of insulting to the newcomer, I think, to assume that he won't be able to handle a conversation about the history of most of Europe...and also insulting to everyone else to have to tiptoe around a subject to protect the sensibilities of someone who merely happens to be from the former aggressor's country. Makes zero sense to me. I mean...aren't you all adults? What terrible terrible thing could happen if someone mentioned WW2? I'm sure no one's going to challenge him to defend Hitler just because he's German. :roll:

I mean, really, I can't get my head around it. What kind of assumptions are your superiors making about this poor person???
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't even know any German jokes. Except of the "An Englishman, a German, and a Russian..." kind, and even those usually have a Frenchman instead.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:16 pm

The 'don't mention the war' idiom is a British thing and I agree, Ro - I didn't get my head around it for the longest time. I think I do now, only by virtue of the fact I've been drinking the water here for about five continuous years now. ;)

It has to do with cultural reservedness and propriety. With a dash of embarrassment at winning (with help) and dare I suggest not being in a position of helping after the victory (UK was rationing into the early 60s)

Funny story; I was once on a choral workshop (15 years ago!) and I was flirting with this handsome German while sitting at dinner - in the company of a number of British women. The topic of conversation eventually came around to the war and the German chap and I had an interesting conversation about some aspect of history. Well, he got up from the table to get something and those Brit women came down on me like a flock of harpies : DON'T MENTION THE WAR!! more or less. To which I replied: 'Why? We won, didn't we?"

The German and I dated for about a year after that - seems he didn't care.

:D
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:38 pm

By those guidelines we shouldn't be talking about the War here, especially- we've got Germans, Poles, and Jews in this thread! Shock horror.

Love your story about the German fellow :D. Like I said- it's called being an adult!

(note- of course if someone doesn't feel comfy discussing this stuff in the OOC which is really about other things and expected to be an area of lighter conversation, it's a different story. Please speak up if you're bothered by this...)

It seems strange that the Brits would be so sensitive about it. Not to diminish their part in the War but you can understand how, from my perspective, they weren't even close to the eye of the storm. We're also somewhat skeptical about the total amount of help received from the Allies not so much after but during the fighting. But that's just another wrinkle future historians will have fun trying to smooth out.

Also interesting to hear things like 'we won'. It's formally true, of course, but again I think a measure of the distance- because in Poland, I've never ever heard anyone say 'after we won the war'. After the war was over, yes, but it's not in the common mindset to consider this war as having been 'won' by anyone. And this despite the long years of Soviet propaganda, which encourage pride in the great victory, of course :P

I admit sometimes it's hard to talk about the 2nd War with Germans, because one feels this need to let them know that they're not being held responsible. While at the same time, certainly, many of them feel like they should be apologising...I've had a German on this very board apologise to me for the war, and I had NO idea how to respond. But...I think it's just worth remembering that none of us comes from an innocent heritage. You just have to acknowledge the crimes of your ancestors, compatriotes, and religious fellows, and then get on with your life trying to be better than them.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 pm

You just have to acknowledge the crimes of your ancestors, compatriotes, and religious fellows, and then get on with your life trying to be better than them.

:love:

Wise words.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 pm

I can understand your point about the language used to describe WWII, the culmination of it, etc. And as for the eye of the storm - well, the Brits portray their experience as the eye of the storm - of course - because it was their experience and it was what they knew in the moment. For the US it was Pearl Harbor, D-Day and the Pacific Island war... again, those events that burned themselves into our cultural psyche.

As for the Allied contribution, or rather the US's contribution, most of our efforts were hampered by sheer lack of a foothold! I did some reading around this; there was a strong anti-war faction in the US (backed by Nazi Germany) and of course Pearl Harbor changed all that. But the time was late and Britain was the only foothold available to the US to join in the fight - and Britain almost went under in late '40, early '41. ( we didn't enter until Dec 41) . Luckily Britain held and the US could make use of it as a landing place. But it severely limited the scope of action; hence D-Day and the invasion of Italy: it was all we could do! Hence why North Africa was so important; a launching pad to southern Europe... anyway... I blah blah. :)

I recently watched the film Defiance based in Belarus and realized there were many eyes to many storms... and I also found myself vowing 'never again'. Facism, no matter what shape it's mask takes, cannot be allowed to rear its ugly head.

And topics like this; honest discussions - I would hope they wouldn't upset people but give pause for thought and reflection - when approached maturely as we're doing.

AND I added a little to the doc - to help round it off and open a seguay for you
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:And topics like this; honest discussions - I would hope they wouldn't upset people but give pause for thought and reflection - when approached maturely as we're doing.

This exactly. :*

I'll go have a look in the doc...
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:25 pm

One more post closer to leaving Rivendell...

Thanks for posting, Ro!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:One more post closer to leaving Rivendell...

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

(thanks for adding that bit at the end, it was just what I needed)
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Almost.. almost... I think its time for the Scribe to start warming up.

La-la- la -LAAAAAA!!!

:D

In fact... I think my elf boy should walk over and remind her she's on the program.

;)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:In fact... I think my elf boy should walk over and remind her she's on the program.

;)

Bring 'im on . . . =:)

I'll catch up in bit . . . much going on here . . . :roll:
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Ok, tomorrow. Late here. I should be in bed! :shock:
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 am

Hey, since you're not writing or anything :whistle: do you mind if I plug my latest blog entry?

It's got wild wisent and a primeval forest in it. I mean, one could argue that's fantasy RP reference. I risked my life taking those pictures.

:hihi:

http://polandisawesome.blogspot.com/201 ... orest.html

(okay, not really, but it was really cold and wet and early.If you love me, you'll read it.)
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Cool pictures Rodia! I'll check it out in greater detail later . . . we got a TON of snow yesterday (snowed froom about midnight Friday to 2 am this morning) so I'm off to finally FINALLY set a decent ski track out back in the park behind my house.

Oh, and I finally managed to sit down long enough a few days back to get that Guilhendar POV done. So that's up and I hope no one minds but I incorporated the ending of your "tableside" posts in there too . . .

Okay. Off I go. Later!!

grabs skis, poles and boots and rushes off . . .

:D:D:D
SilverScribe

Postby Rodia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Glad someone got to enjoy the snow, I missed all of ours, for being busy, then sick, then away, then sick again. Or was it the other way around? Either way, this winter has been a bust.

Good post :D Small wonder Elmissir and Garia get along...
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Bardhwyn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Fantastic shots! I want to go now! (and said as much! :D )

And POSTIES!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Yay, appreciation :D

I'm going back to that area next month, a little way North, by the river. Expect more pictures.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 pm

. . . wanders back in, exhausted but happy . . . humming "oh, I love to go slip-slidering, along the snowy track" . . . :P

Y'know, even with a snowstorm that lasted over 24 hours, and dumped more snow in one event than we've had so far all this winter, the high spots still only have a meagre 2 cm or so of snow cover. Luckily, there's not too many of those, LOL.

The rest of the park has a decent 8-15 cm base now, and while that's not enough to create a pristine trail, it's still enough to provide a base for a decent one . . . at last. Now if people would just learn NOT TO WALK ON SKI TRACKS . . . I'd be a happier camper. :P

I set a nice track for myself, used one circuit to set the tracks, one circuit to "groom" them, then two more circuits to "set" the track nice and smooth. There's still long, dry grass poking up in some spots but in general it's not a bad track for what really is the first snowfall decent enough to cover the ground with more than just a token dusting of white. :P:D

I know I'll be stiff and sore tomorrow and by Tuesday, be a real hurtin' unit. But it's totally worth it. :D By Wednesday, I should be able to start skiing every evening after work . . . Huzzah! :D

I went back and read the text associated with the pictures Rodia, what a wonderful piece of natural habitat Poland has created and protected! Thanks for sharing that and I'll certainly be looking forward to more pictures. :D

Ooookay, I think I need to soak in a very, very hot bath now.

. . . hobbles out . . .

SilverScribe

Postby Bardhwyn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:29 pm

'Caw - no updates since 26 Feb!

That is none until now! :D

I guess I can wish Ro Happy Birthday AGAIN - it was the 15th, Ro? Hope you had a great day.

As for me, I'm surviving. A stomach lurgy has been draining me of energy which has meant I've had enough only to get to work with a little extra for rehearsals once a week. I was officially pissed off with it all Sat morning; I want to feel healthy again! So what did I do? Stay out until 1am, unable to sleep until 3am. Bleh. I couldn't not go out; two of my workmates were looking forward to the evening since last month! And it was a fun evening; they stayed up and out until 4am apparently!

So yeah, it's now Sunday and there's work tomorrow and I'm still tired.

I just turned the radio off - the tv has been off for hours.

Guess what I'm going to do... :D write.

Scribbles, still have much snow? Are you still skiing?

Frelga, hows work?

CR - gotta stalk you; see what you're up to. ;)

And Ro? How's you?

Ok... time to think about knarked Elven princes...
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:38 pm

HOW AM I

YOU HAD TO ASK

I AM FANTASTIC

OMIGOSH

I just got back, like half an hour ago, I got back from a weekend in this old house on the Eastern border with no electricity or anything, and we played hurdy-gurdys for three days, and we did a Ukrainian sauna and then had a swim in the river. BEST WEEKEND EVER!
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Rodia » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:50 pm

And here is the PROOF that I was there:

Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Bardhwyn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Wow!! Wow, wow, wow!! That explains you're fantastic, contented expression in the picture of you playing the hurdy gurdy. :D

So glad I asked and so glad to hear you had such an fab weekend!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:53 pm

LOL, Happy Birthday to Rodia and Happy St. Paddy's Day to the rest of you miscreants . . . :D

Good to see you both lighting up the ol' place. . . . blows dust off the bar tap . . . Hopefully, there's no green beer in *here* . . . ;)

No snow, and hasn't been for nearly two weeks. I think my ski season is officially over, this was one of the most snowless winters I can ever remember in this part of the Great White North.

Plus, hubby lost his job last month and has new work lined up, but they won't take him on until after we get back from holidays in early May. So he's been driving me batty being home so much . . . but today we booked him flights to Toronto; he's going to take the opportunity now to go visit his family there (for two weeks), since his original plans to do it this summer have to change. ;)

Bardy, you need more rest! And multi-vitamins! I hate to hear you're sick . . .

Ro, thanks for the great picture!! Hee. It does sound like the best weekend ever!

Okay. Must go get ready to be seen in public. We're heading over to my mom's, my uncle passed away on Friday night so we're all going over to visit and keep her company for a bit.

Have a great evening!

SilverScribe

Postby Rodia » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I posted it so that if any of you ever run into Dust the not-quite-a-bard, you'll know THAT's what he plays.

It sounds like...well, a lot like the bagpipes, actually. I'll put some videos up later this week.
Rodia
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)