OOC: The Exquisite Corpse (Proposal For Interested Posters)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC: The Exquisite Corpse (Proposal For Interested Posters)

Postby Wandering but not lost » Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 pm

I'm proposing a new RP thread, but I thought I would see if people were interested before starting. As well, before the thread can begin, we'd have to establish some rules for the thread.

Anyone who knows me on here knows that I used to be a very active poster in the Pony, but also knows that I am more or less a ghost on the forums nowadays. Because of this, it might seem stupid for me to start an RP thread. That is, if I was planning on starting a traditional RP thread.

I'd like to propose a different type of thread for a different type of less-than-active Pony forum. This involves agreeing to a radically different set of rules. If people like the idea of this thread, the rules will be based off of a classic Surrealist writing game called "The Exquisite Corpse." There are a lot of variations on this game, but the general way it works is that one person writes something down on a piece of paper and then passes it to the next person to continue what the previous person had written. Because this game was about giving up control and seeing where other people would take a sentence, paragraph, page, etc., this parlor game was known for producing often interesting and odd stories.

The variation I am proposing for the Pony will be similar, but slightly different. I'll write a starting post introducing a character. Someone else will jump in and write another post right from where I left off (which might even be MID SENTENCE)controlling the character I introduced and, if they want, bringing in other characters, thoughts, plot points, etc. Another poster will jump in continuing from where the previous poster left off, and so forth. After a post or two, maybe I'll jump back in continuing the story, or maybe the second poster will, etc.

Because of this format, EVERY character is more or less an NPC. I STRONGLY ask that posters try and be CONSISTENT with the personalities, story arcs, etc., that are being developed (don't have a character suddenly become a villain or grow wings out of nowhere, etc.). That said, I encourage posters to add slight, small complications to the story, personalities, etc. in their posts. Doing such will not only make a challenge for the next poster, but will also hopefully add texture.

My goal for this is an RP Thread that will continue on even if none of the original posters return to the thread for months. Ideally, I'd like the story to feel smooth, with only small and careful plot progress/change over time.

The character I want to propose will be a fairly simple but rich template that I'm still working on. People can bring in others if they want, but the group should be small (so that others can easily join in).

Another rule: although it is completely acceptable to kill off characters, I would suggest that before a character is killed off, a few of the contributing posters on the OOC thread should agree to it. The same goes for radical plot changes. If, over the course of several posters, small tweaks in the plot somehow make the plot radically different from where it was 20-30 posts ago, so be it :)

Another possible rule (if people want): at the end of every post, write an adjective, a noun, and a verb of your choice. The next poster must, somewhere in their post, use the noun, verb, AND adjective. (don't put anything too anachronistic, such as automobile, for example).

What do people think? Suggestions?
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Will this story be following a Tolkien theme? I've never heard of the game you mention . . . so I wonder how the "radically different set of rules" you mention will deviate from the Rules and Guidelines posted for this forum . . .

Just, y'know . . . curious. :)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby GlassHouse » Tue May 24, 2011 10:39 am

Wandering, good to see you!
I tried a few different sets of rules for RP's back when I was actively doing that and one was not dissimilar to what you propose. It worked out pretty good. The writing quality was very good (OK it was just me and another guy) and I had a lot of fun doing it. I thought it had the advantage that a writer didn't have to wait around for someone else to post in order to interact with a particular character. (wish it hadn't vanished into the twilight zone of lost threads now).

Also, since anyone can continue the story, there's no pressure for a writer to keep up with the others if they're posting faster.

I don't have time to do traditional RP's anymore but I would be interested in this.

One suggestion; if the thread gets to be too big, (one can hope) maybe it would be good to post a synopsis of the story every once in a while instead of expecting occasional writers to read back through the entire thread.

Scribbles, I hope there is room for experiments like this in the Pony, what can it hurt? If it succeeds, some people get to have some fun, if it doesn't it will simply fade away.
Last edited by GlassHouse on Tue May 24, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am

Well, here are some names I don't see in Pony anymore! :hihi: Good to hear that the wandering are not lost. ;)

I'm not volunteering as I can barely keep up with my current, very slow RPs, but I wish you best of luck. Eru knows, this forum can use some active threads.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Wandering but not lost » Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 am

Welcome everyone :-)

@Scribbles: the reason I think this is pretty different from anything I have been in is because every character is considered an NPC (who can be killed, etc) and because people can choose to be as active or inactive as they please.

@glasshouse: great idea about thread summaries. I think this should be something that we try in the ooc from time to time.

@frelga: well, post as often as you want if you get tome
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby nienor-niniel » Tue May 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Wandering,

I also wonder if you want to stay in the Tolkien universe.

Other than that, I feel very "writy" in the last weeks and would be willing to try almost anything.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 pm

GlassHouse wrote:Scribbles, I hope there is room for experiments like this in the Pony, what can it hurt? If it succeeds, some people get to have some fun, if it doesn't it will simply fade away.

Oh, I hope so too. ;) I was just curious is all.

@Scribbles: the reason I think this is pretty different from anything I have been in is because every character is considered an NPC (who can be killed, etc) and because people can choose to be as active or inactive as they please.

Ah, okay, I see. I'm really interested in seeing how this will look once you get it rolling. :)

SilverScribe

Postby Wandering but not lost » Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm thinking of setting it in the Tolkien universe, but I'm open to setting it elsewhere, if you would prefer.
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Thu May 26, 2011 7:44 am

Wandering but not lost wrote:I'm thinking of setting it in the Tolkien universe, but I'm open to setting it elsewhere, if you would prefer.

Nope. Rules of the Pony are that it's Tolkien based and that's my preference anyway. :)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby erinhue » Fri May 27, 2011 5:27 am

Hail and Hiya Buddy Long time and all that.....

This sounds very intriguing. Reminds me of how RP was done in the olden days before there were OOC and Aside threads to help organize things. Sounds like old fashioned writing by the seat of yer pants RP.

OK the old man needs to get things straight. We would have a situation and a set of characters that everyone writes for as in we gots Tom Dick and Harry but anyone can write for Tom or Dick or Harry and so can anyone else but you must pick it up where the last post leaves off trying to keep it the same Tom Dick and Harry even if they do have some personal flava to them. Is that about it? If so I like, count me in.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Lebasi » Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 am

:hihi: Just wanted to say, I like the idea, I'd be interested in posting on it... :whistle:
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Wandering but not lost » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Awesome. I am going to type out the starting post as soon as possible. I've been traveling, so I havent been able to type very easily for the last few weeks
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby Tempest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Now that summer is here, I have more free time, and this looks like an interesting proposal. I was thinking the same thing as Erinhue---reminds me of the way some of the threads ran in the Pony in the olden days. Count me as interested!!
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 pm

:yippie: Now we're cookin' with gas. :lol: Hail O Stormy One :rose:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Oooo I'm just getting all choked up looking at this lineup. I feel like I went to RP heaven.
:heart: I love posting with Tempest.
:clap: I have never had the honor of posting with SilverScribe, outside of the Guild.

:thumbsup: Aside from our collaboration on the old "Guide to Role Play", I have not had the pleasure of actually posting in an RP with Wandering-But-Not-Lost.

:hihi: I am very pleased ta meet ya, Lebasi Look forward to posting with ya.

Nin, darlin', :rose: as always. :angel:

GlassHouse and Frelga (Bo-Belga) I bow to your RP street cred. it will indeed be an honor to share a tale with you both.

Ooooo yeah, I got a feelin'.......... 8)

erinhue

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:55 am

LOL 'Hue! You ol' charmer you . . . ;)

I'm in much the same boat though, outside of Her Most Excellent Frelgishness, I don't think I've RP'd with any of these other fine folks, other than in Guild threads with you, Master Hue. This will be a new adventure and a huge pleasure, I'm sure of it. ;)

Just to be up-front with y'all, "the Scribe" as a character won't be in this tale.

But I have a modest lineup of other characters that could really use some ink time of their own.

I just have to decide which one . . . I think I'm going to have to spin a wheel here. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby nienor-niniel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Scribe, a long, long time ago, we wrote together ine the very first "Redemption: the Curse breaker's journey". It was a long, long time ago.

As this is a different RP and I am little bit control obsessed with Nin, I actually thought of this hobbit of mine... but you shall see ( a bit impatient, on this side of the ocean).
:rose: to you too, Hue.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 pm

I have street cred? :Q :oops: Kewl! :D

Yeah, this is a pretty sweet group right here. ;)

Wondering, did you envision us bringing in our own characters, to be shared, or was your plan to set us up with a group of characters that we would all use?

If the former, like nin, I wouldn't want to bring my main characters, since their fates are more or less determined by me, but I could scrape the bottom of my toy chest for someone new. There was that Varno Morhaust dude (Black Bed. His parents weren't great at Sindarin and anyway, it's time someone came up with a character whose name begins with Mor and who is not evil) that I wouldn't mind giving an airing to.

If the latter, let's see what we've got to work with. :)
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby erinhue » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Erinhue is basically me with a dragonharp. I must admit to having been very lazy around here. With one very early on exception I have always written for and as The Bard in RP threads.

As I am understanding this, Wandering will set us up with a location, situation and some characters. As I get it we will come in and manipulate those characters and follow through with those situations in the same location. We are free to move the characters, to change the location and to alter and extrapolate upon the given situation. We are free to introduce characters and even to kill them off as no one character "belongs" to any one author.

If I don't have this right and we are to come in character as in other RP's then I will try to stretch and NOT come as the Bard. I will do my best to ressurect Leander.

Hmmm on second thought, I dunno, Ocean Voyage was such a tight little gem I think maybe I should let stand that Leander sailed into the West. I'll have to think about this.

erinhue

Postby Wandering but not lost » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Basically, I am going to start with one post that will set up a character and an unusual event. People can go from there however they please. I dont want to force the plot too much one way or another, since part of what I am curious with is where people will go.

The character is named "Davin" and he's from a merchant background but, deciding that he didnt want to follow in his father's footsteps, moved into the region near Bree and opened up a farm. He has been in business about three years or so. There aren't many people nearby: an old farmer named Tamerlaine is the only one I mention. He's about a 4 hour trip to Bree, so he doesn't head over all that often, only when he has crops to sell or needs supplies.

I figure that if he meets new characters, they will likely happen once people bring him to Bree, but people might bring in others sooner if they so decide.

I would suggest that people make new characters for this so that people a) might not be as attached if things happen that they don't like and b) this will let other people develop their personalities beyond what the original poster might have intended.

I am about half-way done with the starting post. It wont be too long (maybe 2-3 pages) since I am curious where people will take it.
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby Wandering but not lost » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Posted :) I included three words for the next poster to include in their post, but it is up to you if you all want to do that or not. I thought it might make it more interesting.
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Any cred I may have once had is long since past it's expiration date and gone all funny and moldy.

Seriously, I haven't done this in a long, long, long time and am beginning to wonder what I may have gotten myself into. I'm still going to give it a try.... (Wandering, you had me at the first paragraph!) It's just that the company is a bit intimidating.

Question; If I can't think of anything to write is it OK to just fill in with a lot of smileys?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 am

:) 8) :lol: :lmbo: :rofl: :roflmbo:

:twisted: :wink:

erinhue

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am

Wandering? Does each poster then leave three new words for the next poster if they like?

I would like to take a whack at it. You did a good opening to set time of year and such. I can do something to pick up on that.

My character is Lark. She is an herbalist living on the outskirts of Bree. She is a bit of a mystery to Breelanders or strangers who happen to hear of her, but they do pay her visits, usually when no one is looking. People come to her for everything from hangnails to hangovers.

And I will let the post tell more of her.

Edited: Hope that is the sort you had in mind or not, but at least following the rules of the RP.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:40 pm

nienor-niniel wrote:Scribe, a long, long time ago, we wrote together ine the very first "Redemption: the Curse breaker's journey". It was a long, long time ago.

Omigosh!!! :shock: You are so right, and my memory is getting worse and worse if I missed that!! :blush: :blush: My deepest apologies Nin. :blush:

GlassHouse wrote:It's just that the company is a bit intimidating.

My worry exactly . . . I fear my chops are mutton compared to all the filet mignon in here . . . ;)

Okay, off to read the opening posts and see if the muse will come out to play . . . ;)

SilverScribe

Postby nienor-niniel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

I just read rhwen's post which is rather paralell to Wandering's - and not playing with his character. I understood that we clearly are allowd, if not even requested to play with the characters of each other - or that in fact unlike usual RP your character does not belong to you...

I had something in mind, but I am drowned in work those days (this week-end I corrected 36 graduation essais and I have the same amount still to do...)
Last edited by nienor-niniel on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm

I think we have to set up "character" then more interaction can come in, but maybe I missed something, meaning that every post has to involve the original poster?

If yes, I can delete or edit a way to do this.

Wandering, did I get this wrong??? :oops:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby nienor-niniel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Rwhen, I think we have a lot of freedom, but as Wandering put in his first post:

Someone else will jump in and write another post right from where I left off (which might even be MID SENTENCE) controlling the character I introduced and, if they want, bringing in other characters, thoughts, plot points, etc. Another poster will jump in continuing from where the previous poster left off, and so forth. After a post or two, maybe I'll jump back in continuing the story, or maybe the second poster will, etc.

I wondered.

Your post is lovely, of course, really lovely. I'd like to play around with both now...
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm

:pull: :bang: I'm so confused. :?

erinhue

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:59 pm

I can easily add a starter to my post that I was out gathering some "nightshade" or some such and saw Wanderings charrie in a field before I went home and fell asleep....I don't know.

It seems that I did get it wrong. For now I will put it in word and save the place until Wandering can say yes or no.

Sorry Nin and Hue. I didn't mean to cause confusion. :cry2:

Okay I moved it to a Word document and I will see how I can manipulate it around to somehow tie into the opening post....if I can't I will ask a moderator to just removed the edited post.

Again, please forgive, I am very sorry to have missed the mark here.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)