OOC: A WARRIOR'S MEMORIAL (Read first post please.)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: OOC: A WARRIOR'S MEMORIAL (Read first post please.)

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks, SB! You did great. I hope my post did well. And Hue, I don't know if Agarak is willing or not, but I'll go with either option. But watch out for Tempest now! :twisted:

They call him Flipper...

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm

The old worm is always up for a good toasting :twisted:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby nienor-niniel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 am

I'm faithfully reading - but like Leoba, my hands have been kept busy by needle and thread rather than keyboard recently...

Also, in the end, I did not post in the BW thread: in fact, I have quite a problem with the story evolution there as the MK all go to Rivendell and it is absolutely impossible for Nin to go there (banned for lifetime for murder -and she is guilty, not innocent condemned in my RP world...) So, I am winding things around in my head how to turn around that problem - but maybe the best is just to keep silence about that time and not insist on the question that Nin was not in Rivendell with the others. Maybe I'll elt her get some "salt" supply in that time as finally she has to live a tad longer than I intended.

I'll write a coherent little return one of these days.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:20 am

Looking forward to it, Nin, darlin' :wink:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm

I just didn't think it was right that Meneldor had to be shut out of the memorial due to size.... so I fixed it. Hope no one objects.

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Oh, I don't object. It's amazing. I thought at first you were going to make him smaller. But then, you ever see The Last Unicorn? and how traumatic it was for the unicorn Amalthea? Maybe it's better this way. He's going to have some great viewing now. Thank you.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Did not see it but I did read the book. Beagle wasn't it? To Bardy's credit, I figured that making Meneldor smaller was too much messin' with the character. You're welcome :wink:

erinhue

Postby Leoba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 am

Is there any reason Meneldor couldn't just look through a window?

I'm sure he's getting a great view of the bedrooms, what with it being a two-storey inn. I bet you can get arrested for that sort of thing.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Dindraug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:37 am

erinhue wrote:I just didn't think it was right that Meneldor had to be shut out of the memorial due to size.... so I fixed it. Hope no one objects.

I do.

I'm struggling with the constant dei ex machina Harry Potter style magic. It feels so far from Tolkien canon that we might as well be writing a D&D adventure.

I am going to assume that the magic is that the eagle himself can see through the roof. Then the roof can remain as it was for everybody else who needs to work within Tolkien's world, just a thatched roof; nothing exceptional.

When Tolkien needed to do this sort of thing, he had characters change shape. Meneldor could even become humanoid, maybe a feathered human if you wanted to keep the distinction; shape change like the Beorning does.

Alternatively, if we think about this practically: IT'S A THATCHED ROOF! Thatch is laid straw or reeds, you could move it aside if you need to, you could make a hole so the bird can poke his head through. Dirk's brothers and family would be only too happy to do so (I would assume). A hole can be fixed with a couple of strong workers in a summer's afternoon. Obviously, if the building is more than one storey then this would not work unless you wanted to have guests woken up by an eagle's head poking into the room.

Alternatively, how about giving the eagle magic vision (and presumably super hearing as well because unless he can-lip read he won't hear what is going on). The bird could look through the roof, and the floors of the inn below if necessary. That way, he can watch what goes on without stretching the credulity of Tolkien's world for everyone. Just make sure you turn it off afterwards, or he will be looking through mountains. ;)

Or just have Dirk's brothers be nice to the eagle that was part of their dead brother's life at the end, open a ground floor window, or a big door that overlooked the harbour with a small sitting area that could fit the eagle. I am sure that the TORC fairy that govens such things will ensure that the weather is nice and it doesn't rain for the duration. :)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 am

This is TORC which strives for Tolkien style but we are not the Master just some folk wanting to have some fun. I feel the fun slipping away here and Im not so happy with all the backstage fuss going on. I guess some folk will not like my characters and what they do and how they act. That is my character and that is what he does. Tolkien or no I do try to keep things to a minimum with agarak's magic.... and I have had Jon's permission to do so since before this forum existed. Sorry who don't like it but I've heard a lot about character integrity and that is integril to my character. I was gonna apologize but now Im not about to. why should I? sorry if you don't like it but I am not about to change things because of it.

Edited to include :angry: Ya know what, too much dictating with this. I've had it. Im taking down the post and Im out

erinhue

Postby Dindraug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:15 am

:roll:

Don't be offended Erinhue, take it as the constructive critisism it was.

I didn't like what you did, you probably don't like a lot of what I write. I told you I didn't like it, and why, and offered you sugestions of ways it could have been done. That was all.

Calm down, think about it.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:17 am

Please don't, Hue. We've had criticisms like this before. And there's a winner of a reason why he couldn't just poke his head through a window. Have you ever looked through the window of a bar, (provided there is a window?), especially with the crowds that this place is having right now? His view would always be blocked, and all he would see would be the backs of people's heads. Plus, his head poked through would be too convenient a target for food and drink.

I am comfortable with this. Please put the post back, Hue. Or email me and we can work this out. I've had so many criticisms myself that I've started to develop a deaf ear to them. This is supposed to be a memorial thread, and an enjoyable one at that. Let's avoid the drama, except in the posts, and forge ahead.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 am

don't know if I can do that C-R. Wrote it on a spur of the moment thought and it's gone out of my head now. It is too early to be up here, perhaps I need to go back to sleep while I still can. Maybe I can re work it or maybe it's best to leave it out. Got to consider if my idea of RP, my character(s) and how I like to play is gonna be viable with the way this story is evolving. Right now I am just :x :angry: :lightening: Maybe it's just that Easter is coming, starting to hate holidays

erinhue

Postby Leoba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 am

CR, as I've understood it, Dirk has been laid out in the inn. He'll be there for a couple of days. Certainly people will wish to pay respects and keep vigil (my character's turn for that if that's ok). Then we'll have the funeral outside up at the barrow so creatures of all sorts can get in on the act.

And my apologies for not writing anything for a while. I still have an entire early 19thC outfit to make for myself for next weekend, on top of a full time job and looking after a 3 year old (who understandably objects if I look at the computer when he's awake) and then we lost an afternoon yesterday to a trip to A&E which didn't help anything!
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Guruthostirn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:07 am

Interesting discussions, here and over in the other OOC...

I can't put down what I'd like to say, but I'll do my best within the Rules of TORC: this is a place for people to write TOGETHER. Let's all remember what cooperation means. It means respecting other people, and the project as a whole. That includes, if you have a problem with something, deal with it in a way that doesn't affect the entire thread. There appear to have been a lot of hurt feelings surrounding this story, and not just the current situation. Maybe because this story is good enough we've all become very invested in it, we care a lot about it.

In any case, there is only one person who has any overall authority, as both the focus of this part of the tale, and as head of the Mithril Knights, and that's SB. Other than him any issue a person has with another post or poster is an individual issue and should be dealt with as such, without bringing in the rest of the group. Every one of us does have the option to leave at any time. If your problem with the thread is big enough, feel free to leave before dragging down everyone else.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am

You are right of course and I apologize, not for what I had to say but maybe for saying it at all. Im not good at sitting on my feelings and I admit to having a bad day or two at this tim.e. Not an excuse just a partial explaination. I do not lose my temper often so I am not good at handling it when I do. I take RP very seriously and I work at my character, just cause he is funny at times and uses some unconventional magic on occassion does not mean that I work any less at it, trust me, funny is harder. I am gonna go back to my corner and try to sleep it off.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 pm

I'll be out of town until the 9th. Carry on and take the Bard with ya til I get back

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 pm

I hope my latest post is able to get us jump-started again. And I did anticipate my own initiation as a Mithril Knight, which as we had planned was to happen before we arrived at Laketown. I hope you all liked it. I'll get in a post for Brondgast when I have time as well.

And Hue, I hope soon we can get together and figure out how to let Meneldor see inside again. Until SB shows up, let's do something.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby SmaugsBane » Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Looks like once again that I've been absent too long and things have gotten a little out of hand. I haven't read all of the posts I need to to understand what's going on, to be fair. However just in skimming, I do need to say that my first thoughts are: no, initiations shouldn't be done before burying the dead. Initiations are done in their own threads and done in such a way that those that are being initiated are able to stretch their writing prowess a bit, almost show off. It's the initiate's time to shine. This might sound selfish, but can Dirk's funeral be about Dirk? A little patience C-R, I always come back.

Also, I'm not exactly a purist, but I do try to keep at least to the spirit of Tolkien's world, if not the letter. Again, I have only heard about some of what has taken place in the story, not read it myself. I'm not going to stir the pot any further except to remind you all to think on where Elbren might have stood on such matters. If you arrived at the MKs doorstep after her departure, ask someone who has been here. (Most longer than me.)

I'm going to write the end of the wake, the procession and the rites at the barrow tomorrow. I have an epilogue planned for Dirk that I'm going to post in his history thread, then that's it. At least for a while. I'm not as excited as I could be about RP on TORC. I suspect RL had a bit to do with that. But at any rate, since this is supposed to be a 100% RP Guild (even though we've gotten away from that) and I have no character to RP, I'm going to leave the Guild in the capable hands of those who were here before me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat May 04, 2013 1:48 am

Sorry, SB. I edited out the parts that implied that Meneldor had already been initiated. It seems none of the old guard are around anymore except Erinhue. Sorry I jumped the gun.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby SmaugsBane » Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 am

Oh my yes. Thanks for doing that. We don't take initiation so lightly that we imply membership.

Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Sat May 04, 2013 2:44 pm

So, I guess I'm a little confused about what you're saying, SB. Are you stepping out of the Guild, or just stepping out of the story because you don't have a character? I'm a little confused (and slightly panicked) by your post.

But in terms of the Memorial thread, in light of what you suggested, let's move forward and complete it soon before we all lose steam again. Can we do a roll call of who's still around?
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sat May 04, 2013 3:23 pm

:wink: Just call me Long Haul 'Hue 8)

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm

And I'm here as well. I haven't heard from any of you how you like my post. It was a flash of inspiration. As to being in line with Tolkien, this is perfectly in line with his writings. I have done exhaustive research on the Great Eagles, all the way from Silmarillion, the Hobbit (Not the Jackson travesty, LOL), LOTR and HOME, looking up all the references I could find. And it is in line with what I have found there. Of course, there is almost nothing on the Beornings, so I had to fill in the gaps with my own imagination.

But both gave me room to be creative.

I really hope Elbren is still around. You all know how eager I am to go forward with the initiation, as I have great plans for both characters. I apologize again for jumping the gun. It looked unanimous to go forward with it, but I agree with SB, that this comes first. I can wait.

And has anybody heard from Claymore?

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby SmaugsBane » Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Oh hell, Tempest, who knows what I'm saying. I was going to try and post today and all I could manage was a little reading. I couldn't get the kids to sleep tonight, so I didn't even get time to work on anything then. I really would just like to get to the point where folks don't have to be waiting on me.

Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun May 05, 2013 7:54 pm

It's ok, SB. We'll be waiting for you to move. Then we'll see what we can do.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Leoba » Mon May 06, 2013 3:02 pm

*waves hand*

I'm still here, still with things I would like to write. Life is crazy at the moment (reenactment most weekends, house about to be re-wired, wedding planning, 2 jobs, one 3 year old: the usual catalogue) but these TORC characters are still very much in the fore-front of my mind. I will get writing just as soon as I can make the time. Just please bear with me. I'm with this story for the long haul and I know Bardy (and hopefully SB) won't let me disappear until I'm done. I can't churn out the words like I was doing Jan -March though; life is just too full now the sun's come out.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon May 06, 2013 3:49 pm

I hope haven't confused anyone. I'm not planning and grand TORC exit. I love you guys too much. Just going to back out of RP (and therefore the MK's) for awhile until I get my RL in order. Look for background story on my new character in the Scriptorium soon. I'll jump back in when I'm ready. In the meantime, I'm not leaving the Memorial high and dry. My next post should facilitate some sort of movement. And I'm always available via email or FB in case you need my opinion on an MK matter.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

I'm gonna be around but not so very much right now. It is May and the second half of the dread M&M's. Right now I am trying to plan out the program details for the summer day camp. That means lots of paper work, planning daily actifivities and trips, more paperwork to arrange for the lunch program and then some more paperwork to put us in line to get some summer youth hires to be the counsellors. In addition to the plan for the two month day camp I also must outline a program for the teen counsellors for things like filling out applications and some role play interview work for a job or for college entrance and of course....more paperwork.

Sometimes it is a good thing that most of my work is concentrated in these two months and I get to just sort of hang out and talk to people. Sometimes that is not so grand a thing like in March and May. In spite of all that, I'm here. If ya want me, all ya gotta do is whistle. You do know how to whistle, don't you? :wink:

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue May 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Just put your lips together....and blow. :P :whistle:

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)