OOC: The Pale Road to Laketown and to Final Farewells

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: OOC: As The Battle Wanes...

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 pm

The Bard is on his way back to join the group, I got one more stop to make before that though. when I thought this thread was gonna end, that was my out and it set up my way in to the soon to come, or so I thought, Memorial thread. when the thread did not end as I thought it would, it left me out on a limb. Originally he was just gonna vanish and then be found at the start of the memorial. Erinhue's vanishing was meant to be a sort of grand gesture and no more but then I figured out why he took off and that is what I am writing. I didn't think it through and now Im left to write my way out of the hole.

I'm not so sure I want to come back though, considering the mood Tempest is in
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Guruthostirn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Yes, Tempest does seem a bit angry with him....can't wait to see what happens!
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

I wish we could get on with it. I have finally gotten some of my muse back and no where to write. **Taps foot waiting on SB and others to get it going**
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Leoba » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm

There's lots of goings going on in here?!

How are you feeling?
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:12 pm

I just got back from the doctors and he put me on Prednisone and feels that it is probably a virus that flared my Systemic Lupus and Asthma at the same time. I see him again on Wednesday.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

You're in my prayers that you get better, my sweet SSOTH. :hug:

Use the Force!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby nienor-niniel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm back after an eventful week in Poland - which includes many tears, a firepsitting dragon and a brand new car. (I wrote a long report for another place, but if you are curious, I can copy and paste.) And I am eager to write. I just wonder if here or there (Mithril Knights?) - maybe have to read up.... and I wonder if other characters (like a hobbit staying per chance in Dale on business for his uncle) are an option (or otherwise said, I am not necessary eager to write depressed amnesic ladies). How open is the thread?

Vana, get well!!!!
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello Nin,

This thread is for any one who needs a place to develop, stage, prepare, explore characters and their stories before the Memorial thread's solemn events begin.

Write away! :) Enjoy and be welcome.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby nienor-niniel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:06 am

I fear that the arrival of my Middle Earth fabric has chanelled my creative energy towards other fields... we'll see, though.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 am

Welcome back Nin hon!!! It is great to have you writing with us again. :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Kaya » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Multiple BAP-alert. I'm going to feed it to you in slow doses, though, and take you all a bit back in time. ;)

I'd like to acknowledge my kind editor, Bardy - thank you very much for proofreading and helping with the english nuts and bolts. :)
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Dindraug » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Oops, sorry Kaya I think we managed to post at exactly the same time :shock:

Great minds thinking alike, or fools seldom differing :roll:

Another BAP, and another old charictor come to play in the ways only she knows best, and ready to leave a trail of mangled corpses, broken spirits and the haunted memory of something that could be good but will inevitably be as bitter as the sharpest fruit.

It will be interesting to see where she goes, and what she does.

Oh, and before anybody asks she does not teleport, she flies like she always did. Woman of Secret Shadow, bless her little cotten socks.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

How delightful to see WOSS stretching her wings again. Love this character.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Okay everyone. I'm starting the funeral thread tonight. I admit that I don't have all the stories from this thread perfectly straight in my head. So please correct me if I make a mistake and I'll edit forthwith. May I ask that anyone in this thread who will be present at the burial please continue in that thread and any goings-on happening elsewhere but simultaneously may continue here. Does that make sense?
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Guruthostirn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Makes sense...guess I better get Erinhue back with the MK's. SB, I take it you mean that we should continue to use this thread for any necessary setup for the funeral?
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Dindraug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 am

Makes perfect sense to me SB.

I did a fair bit of plotting for the physical location of the funeral, hope that was ok and suitable. If it doesn't make sense, let me know.

And I will try to keep my nefarious hoard in the right threads, and doing the right things :shock:
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:59 am

I trust you, Din. Just do what you always to and make sure it doesn't clash with what's already been written.

Guru, it depends on what you mean by "set up". I would like to see everyone's arrival in Laketown, accommodations, etc. in the main funeral thread.
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 am

Well this one peredhel is having the best morning possible. Sipping tea while reading your posts is just the perfect start to my day :D :D

Kaya, Din, amazing storytelling both of you :D :D :D Loving it.

Guru, talk about smooth criminal :P ;)...

Thank you all for these gems :D
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Dindraug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 am

SmaugsBane wrote:I trust you, Din. Just do what you always to and make sure it doesn't clash with what's already been written.

You fool! you mad mad fool! BwAahahahahha.... :lol:

Err, I will be on best behaviour, I have promised sombody and as she is my editor, I am bound by bars stronger than iron.

Time to work on arrival posts, I am guessing there will be a fair old few of those. I may carry afew posts over in here too, the journey could be just as much fun as the arrival and all that.

Oh, cross posting again, long time since that happened :shock: thanks Eari, glad you liked it. And Guru, like it a lot.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:05 am

Yep, I was going to say that with me as his editor, Din can most certainly be trusted to toe the party line

It's been such a treat to read all the post that have gone up in the last 24 hours, as I mentioned elsewhere. I have no idea how I shall find time and energy to write what I must but there is certainly will, so a way shall be found.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Why do I get the feeling that this is just a postponement :?

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes, yes, precioussss....Tempest is just getting started......you can carry on for the moment if you wish....more trouble to follow....
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

And now Brondgast gets into the act. wow, is he in trouble. :twisted:

Use the Force!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Two, no three points from the the One Stop Guidelines and Rules for Role Playing:

*Do not do anything that affects another writers' character without their permission. This is just common courtesy.

*Writing dialogue or describing actions for another character is permissable (sic), however, keep in mind that the other character's writer might not like this. It's a good idea to ask permission before touching on other writers' characters. Some people take it very seriously, while others won't mind at all. Just use your judgement.

*Creating dialogue is fine, but moving other writers' characters into a new situation can be a bit touchy, it's probably a good idea to consult them. Please try to contact the person first through either the OOC/Aside thread or by e-mailing them.

Always considered these to be quite sensible and I humbly request that these guidelines be considered in respect to my characters; I put a lot of thought into them and into their stories. Please sound things out with me. Just felt a need to say that, came over me, all of a sudden... Thanks. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 pm

'Scuse me darlin but first off them was always intended to be guidelines not written in stone rules. I know because I wrote up most of them. Here in the MK's at least we have always granted each other the right to move and write dialogue for other characters. sometimes it is very necessary when your post requires that another move or respond in a certain way. Major movements are indeed discussed in the OOC or via the MK email.

What we have been doing is what we have always done here in the MK's which may or may not be what happens in some other rp threads. To have that leeway, that freedom and trust in each other allows each one to have more direction in the interactions. As a group we have been on this adventure for some real time years and we know each other's characters pretty darn well. Tempest and I have been writing with and for each other for literal years and I for one think she can do the Bard serious justice, she can write him nearly as good as I can. Not so much time but we have been in this thread that I feel certain that any one of us could do some short term use of another's character and do them well.

If you would prefer that we not reference your character in our posts, I for one will comply but I think that will cut down on the character's being able to fully interact with the others. It also would call for the rest of us leaving the character out of any action sequences we might be orchestrating. Your characters are indeed yours and you have every right to tell us not to touch. Not ta worry, I for one shall keep hands off.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Just re read C-R's last post. I don't get it. Maybe it's me but I do not see any problem there.

erinhue

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Bap alert!

Hi Hue. The close relationships you have built up in the MK thread are to be commended and if you know each other's characters so well you feel comfortable ascribing to another writer's character what that character thinks and feels, even to the extent you dictate the other character's resulting action, well, that is, again, commendable.

That is different to interacting with another character, or referencing a character, to my thinking - it's all about how much one indulges in the Omnicient Third Person POV, in the end.

As a writer you can describe an interaction without lifting up the POV ( or internalising the POV) to the extent that you're ascribing, thoughts, feelings, motivations and actions to another writer's character. You simply describe the character, offer simple dialog and leave a hook, as it were. Done.

So, in seeing (and reading) the deep trust you all have in working and writing together and how you do write considerably for each other's character, I recognised I don't have such close working relationships - I've not 'been in your fold' as it were - and if another writer were to ascribe to my character what she or he was thinking or feeling without first sounding me out, then yes, I would have an issue with that. So I simply felt the need to describe that, using the guidelines for the forum and, in doing so, it will circumvent confusion later on.

Perhaps in my haste, the copying and pasting of the guidelines may not have been considerate - perhaps I should have worded my request in a more personal fashion. Hopefully this explanation has achieved that.

:)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:47 pm

that trust in your fellow players is what makes RP different from writing a story even a collaborative effort. each one has a piece of the tale and the rest build upon that vision. Part of the game is to come in and find that the game has changed. you were going in one direction but someone else posts and a new twist is introduced. The fun comes in rolling with the punch and writing your way out of the situation. sometimes you get to turn it back to what you wanted to say or do and sometimes the moment has passed and you have to find a new direction or go with the flow of the one that has emerged. writing is very important and so is personal character developement but first and foremose, RP is a game and we are here to play and have fun.

erinhue

Postby earendil81 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm

I am sorry to step in especially since I don't participate in that RP so bear with me.

I also hope I will not put words in Bardy's mouth that she doesn't agree with but here is what I am understanding of her message.

Yes RP is fun but regardless there is a truth to our characters, whether we fleshed it out ourselves or it is a truth that has developed from writing with others. In this I can speak for myself as Eari has evolved into a truth of her own that I did not have in mind when I first started to write her. However there was nothing forced on her or me as the writer and that is what - from my understanding - Bardy was referring too.

In fact, there are things that would feel awfully wrong for 'my' characters to do. Using the example of the action sequences you mentioned: it'd be extremely uncomfortable for me to have someone suddenly write that Eari would shoot an arrow straight into the heart of an enemy. Very valiant of her, but also completely impossible. She does not use a bow, from the moment she came to life onto this screen she's had a wound that prevents her from shooting one. You put a bow in her hands you are taking the chance that she'd kill allies. I might go with it because you put it there but chances are that either I'll ask you to edit or just not write anything because everything I will try to write will feel wrong and off. It will literally kill the inspiration if not the muse for me.

I do understand that as a group the MK have been writing together sometimes for years and there is a sense of trust between all of you. I have come to trust a certain number of people with my characters because I know that they see the truth/core of who they are. But I don't even trust myself with the truth of other people's characters even those I have written with since I first started here over 10 years ago.

Maybe I should have waited for tomorrow and slept on this as it's been an extremely long day but well.
I beg forgiveness ;)
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 pm

To each his or her own. I have given my word, I shall keep it.

erinhue

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)