OOC: The Pale Road to Laketown and to Final Farewells

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: OOC: As The Battle Wanes...

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am

I agree. To each his own. I will respect your wishes, Bardy, and not come near your character. I am here to have fun, and to get away from the drama of real life. I want no drama here. Let's leave that to the Manwe thread. If you want, we'll pull out and start our own thread where we can do as we've done, and let you do as you've done. Then we'll both be happy. :)

the doomed bird

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Leoba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:59 am

I don't think it needs to come to that CR. We're all grown ups in here and perfectly capable of calling it if someone does something affecting our character(s) that we're not comfortable with. I suspect we each have fellow writers that we are more relaxed and experienced and trusting of in working with than others and that is a good thing; helps make TORC RP the rich and delightful tapestry that it is.

I personally wouldn't want someone else to ascribe thoughts or feelings to any of my characters either; I just don't think it works to flit too suddenly from one perspective to another and it's better spread out in different posts and thus it works really well to have different writers write that. Plus there are only one or maybe two writers I would trust enough to do that. However, writing my characters into action and events for me is usually appreciated, so long as its done well and is true to their nature.
Last edited by Leoba on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Kaya » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 am

I'm confused here. Are people saying that someone's grand ideas should overrule another characters nature in the name of 'fun' and 'freedom'?

My characters are quirky and they definitely have a mind of their own. They keep surprising me, as they often only show their true nature while my fingers are typing away. I'm sorry, I'd have a small heart attack if someone would start writing them as if they were their own and put words and feelings into their mouths without consulting me. There are wonderful ways to write such scenes where other writers' characters are involved, too. It works perfectly, and there is no less fun in that, on the contrary. Maybe there is some freedom lost, but it was to my understanding that someone else's character is not part of another one's freedom anyway.
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:37 am

OK, so you don't play our way. so be it. hands off, we got it. Now can we leave the drama at the door and save it for the story thread?? Huh? huh? Can we?
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 am

Cock-Robin wrote: I want no drama here. Let's leave that to the Manwe thread.

Manwe is full of energy, isn't it? Intense debate, discussion, differing views. It can become quite 'dramatic', I agree, CR. I work with a man who eats that sort of thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner - it can be so exhausting at times but, by working with him, it's taught me the value of taking my time to formulate my thoughts, my arguments - to figure out what I think and then (* big, deep breath *) I dive into debate with him. Because he's not going to not engage in debate; I have to meet him. He doesn't always agree with me but he respects my time and my arguments and I may leave not 'winning' but I leave feeling well communicated and most times, heard. And when I do convincingly argue my point, he's appreciative.

Differing views, different ideas and conceptions - and 'the rubbing up' against them - along with the capacity to communicate about them, around them, and arrive at greater understanding, and sometimes the means to effect change, are important skills, especially today, in our immediate, 'gotta have it now', world. So much lands into our laps, so suddenly it's tempting to just push it all aside and not engage because it's all too much - all the the debates, all the differing views...

With out debate, without examination of views and the challenging of them, however ... well... the 13 colonies would still be British, Quebec French, Mexico Spanish. Black Americans would still be slaves and women property of their husbands with no civil rights to speak of. The US could still be dry! The national debate was once about 'the evils of drink' and alcohol was banned, federally, for many years. Then opposing views saw it's repeal. Debate, discussion, dissent...

Grandiose allusions? Well, perhaps. :)

I just wanted to promote the notion that disagreement isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor does it have to result in chasms and barriers; it can be a path to clarity and understanding. I have benefited tremendously because as a consequence of this, and other discussions, we've had here and I now have a clearer understanding of how another group of my fellow TORCers approach the ' art of RP' - and I use the word 'art' quite consciously.

It's an art. It is open to different styles, different methods of execution, different interpretations and those to take it up may do so for many different reasons and motivations . To draw a parallel to the fine arts, put a Matisse painting next to a Rembrandt and the fine art world will assert that they're both 'Masters'. They are incredibly different to one another, however. But both are artists, and would (if alive) declare themselves ' An artist and a painter' .

I am an RP Writer on Torc. So are all of you. Yet my approach is very different to some of the other approaches, say Hue's for example. Hue, you've describe it as a game, it's fun, a 'roll of the dice, take what's thrown' approach (is that accurate?) - the execution of your expression of the 'the art' takes on a form that meets that. I see RP as the writing and crafting of narrative prose, and that is fun to me, and my expression of the art, my execution of it takes on a different form.

And that's fine.

The important thing is we understand this and in the understanding, meet the differences, work with them if required and ultimately move forward.

To understand the differences, we need to communicate our personal needs and wants, our personal understandings, our personal drives and motivations, which I attempted earlier and am attempting now. :)

So, I want to take a moment here to celebrate differing views, the opportunity to express differing views and I would very much like to assert again, in a 'big picture' way, that this thread is open to everyone and anyone who has a story to tell.

I think Leoba said it very well; Torc is a rich woven tapestry and we each bring our weft and wove, and they interlace and create a special place.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Dindraug » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 am

erinhue wrote:Now can we leave the drama at the door and save it for the story thread?? Huh? huh? Can we?

For once Erinhue, I agree with you.

Let's just pick up the rattles and remember that we are all writers in this and we all have our different views, opinions or what constitues good writing and what constitues laws, rules, lores and cannon.

At the end of the day, we are here in this thread and the Memorial thread to remember and celebrate the lives, loves and legacy of one Dirk the Daring.

I would just ask that we all, as writers, consider the other writers in the thread and their thoughts and plans before we attribute actions or thoughts to them. And most importantly, remember the other charactors and that they belong to the writers who create them. They have complex back histories and personalities (well most of the time) which have been created in the minds of the writer and that really should remain sacrosant to them and them alone.

Just think about your actions in your posts before you hit the button, that is all :)

Well, that's my tuppenth worth.

I have a general question though for a post I am writing, because it is not really plain. the coutage which brings Dirks body from Carn Dum to Rivendell. How many people are in it, and who are they? Numbers and names if possible please :)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 am

I finally had time to read up in the IC - that's a wonderful post, Bardy. Love it. :)
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:59 am

Din ,Just once? :lol: I think SB could best answer your question on this. We know the remainder of the MK's are in the entourage and there would be a considerable num,ber who would have joined the procession along the way. I'd also check with him about the procession. Although I do not know what, I do know that he has some specifics in mind,The Boss always does. :wink:

erinhue

Postby nienor-niniel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 am

Din, I have not posted in here finally (first the MK in Rivendell are a huge problem for me and Nin.. and then... you know how much sewing can occupy your mind...) but Nin will come to the funeral with the rest of the MK, but I thought that would be in the Memorial.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm

That's fine Nin, thats one of the things I wanted to know and does make an interesting ....aspect to deal with.

i think I have the list in my head now, that will help. there are only so many scalps one can cary...oops, sorry, slip of the finger, nothing to read here..... :twisted:

Actually, I was thinking of who would have been with them getting from Carn Dum to Rivendell. it's wild in the Trollshaws, so i can't see many new attachments there. Ok, that has helped put the situation straight in my mind.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

A post for Eari. No withdrawals. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby earendil81 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:A post for Eari. No withdrawals. :)

:yippie: :yippie: thank you :) :) :)
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby erinhue » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 am

sorry if ya don't see things my waybut I thought this was supposed to be fun. I'm tired of this conflict, so, so as not to offend anyone else, Im out

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:51 am

I have changed my mind about not offending anyone. I think there is a deep misunderstanding here and since the guidelines were brought up I want to say something here. Role Play is about creative writing but it is also about spontenaneous response and interaction in a collective game that realizes in story form.

I have respect for the crafting it takes to form realistic characters that remain true to themselves and their backgrounds. All that striving for excelence in the writing arts is find but isolated solitary posting of storyline set and directed by one person belongs in the Scriptorium and not in the Pony. The Pony was created for role play which is a different animal from writing a story. I have no problem with those who want to insert their self contained and rather isolated and steril posts to an RP thread but I do have an issue whent the issue becomes what is at the heart of this forum. How can you interact when all posts are self contained little episodes that pertain only to the isolated set and circumstands of said posts, when every character is totally the invention and under the control of a single author? that ain't rp as intended folks the idea is to get together to interact to have the story change under your feet and then try to keep up and carry it forward.

If people do not want their characters "tampered with" I ask that the same courtesy be extended to others. Styles differ but where is the fun if you know every post is judged by standards other than the ones you were holding to in the first place. Stagnant posts do not carry an rp forward and do not allow for any interaction or true collaboration. it's apples and oranges. I see no reason the two cannot co exhist but not if someone is constantly picking at one or the other because they are not the same thing.

To each his own indeed. you don't want me to "direct" your character, fine I won't come near it just so I do not make a mistake and cross a line, so don't tell me a better way to "direct" mine. If you can, then I can. If you don't then I won't. that is fine but I just wanted to make a statememtn about what this forum was really designed to be. I know because I designed it.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:03 am

And no, C-R I did not get the coffee. Perhaps I should have. :roll:

erinhue

Postby Kaya » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 pm

And the next installment of my Dúnedain's tale is up. :)

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby earendil81 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Ah the Archer is too kind feeding my addiction.
Loved it Bardy :D :D :D
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Hidden_Ring » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 pm

I will confess I'm still trying to collect where all the story is taking place. This latest post and one other will bring me up with the funeral party and the brief 'blow-up' in Imladris. From there my writing will continue in the Memorial thread, though I will be keeping Orion more towards the background at least through the start as he isn't a Knight.

I would like to confess some confusion as the writers' drama, as opposed to the characters'. While this is my first TORC foray into the more intensive RP writing, my previous writings and the example I took always allowed for MINOR use of another's character. It was only enough to allow your particular portion of the plot to move forwards and usually limited to speech. Often planned out before. And it was always done in the spirit of fun and making a richer experience here. I don't want to step on toes, while we may get attached to our characters, this is mean to be relaxing.

I'll step off my soap carton as it really wasn't even a true soap box. More like the paper sleeve the soap arrives in.
Hidden_Ring
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Collaborative role-played story telling - it's arrived at by many means, I think we've established that; it's been developed and experimented with, here on Torc, for over a decade, now. For every person who is a 'role play writer', why I wouldn't be surprised if we'd find a slightly different 'take' on how it's done and what it all means. And that's very cool, to my thinking.

Whether the method calls for the plot twists and action to be up front and played out immediately on the board, for both the writers and readers to see, or the method is executed 'behind the scenes' between all the collaborators, all writing together in online documents, long hours spent on instant messenger discussing back stories, via dozens of emails to iron out the kinks, with all the plotting and surprising twists done 'off camera' so the ultimate product (the post) can be polished and presented in a piece of narrative prose - it's all collaborative role-played story telling, imho.

And I'll stress again, this thread is for anyone who wishes to tell their stories, how ever they wish to arrive at them. We can, therefore, all read and enjoy each others imaginations while being mindful of and kind to one another as we each write and create.

Torc is a wonderful tapestry of diversity and talent, and I celebrate that.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby nienor-niniel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 pm

In the end, I could not do without at least one post here - if I find the time to write it, there might be another. I'm sorry if it might seem like a very egoist post, as I deal only with my own character and with a moment which for the other MK lies already in the past. I bitterly needed a way for Nin to avoid Imladris. It was quite a problem for me to read that all the MK went there and that the decision had been unanimous - absolutley impossible with the story of my character. Yet, I took the fact that this was forgotten as to be my fault only: nobody knows my character as well as I do and I cannot expect of others to know and respect her background in a degree like I do it. Also, I was gone for a long while and the story was at halt for another long while... too much to think that everybody remembers everything. Plus, I have no IM and do not post regulary in the TORC Writer's Inn on facebook...

My characters are usually worked out with full and many details, a complete biography and a time-setting and I cannot put them simply in situations which don't fit with those. I this sense, I am very protective of them. Unlike others have expressed, my character has no life of her own: she is mine. But I have conceived her (and my other characters) thoughtfully and I know her by heart. If you tell me now to write how she felt and dressed in the summer of her 19th year - I'd know it.

I hope to have found a way out of my dilemma concerning Rivendell for now - and I hope Guru, you don't mind the dialogue (I'm still very shy of writing dialogue - it's the moment when I feel most that I am not a native speaker).

As for the story lines, which do not cross the MK for the moment: I read them and I enjoy them, but so far I saw no necessity of a crossing point.

Eventually I am planning one other post on how Nin fares while she is not with the other MK, I then see for all the Knights the way to the Memorial. What are the thoughts of the other MK?
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 pm

:whistle:
Last edited by Bardhwyn on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Guruthostirn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Psst, Bardy...did you mean to do a main thread post in the OOC?

Nin, that was a fine post! You are much better at dialogue than you give yourself credit for, and I am glad to have been included in your post.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 pm

:oops: :doh:

That's what I get for staying up late...

A first , that, I think...

And I second Guru, Nin - a fine post, indeed.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Kaya » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 am

And it's a wrap for me, which makes me both happy and sad.

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Aw Kaya, I understand how you feel - but you've given us all such a gift - the gift of your imagination and your talent. Thank you so much! :rose:
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Re: OOC: Vive Memor Leti: Journeys to Laketown

Postby Bardhwyn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:31 am

Seeing as the battle has long since waned, and our characters increasingly have their thoughts turned towards Laketown, I've yet again renamed this thread to Vive Memor Leti: Journeys to Laketown - Vive Memor Leti meaning 'live remembering death' in Latin.

Our own death and the deaths of others. The aim is not to darken the heart, but to fill it with sweetness and immediate joy.

Life is short, time is precious. Why waste it?
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Deep stuff Bardy.

I haven't forgotten my commitments here. I will be back - promise - just as soon as I have the head space and the actual time to do justice to what I need to write.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah, maybe. I think the bombings in Boston (my backyard growing up) have effected me. Boylston St. Most New Englanders walk down that street at one time or another in their lives, so Carpe Diem.

I also wanted to keep the Memorial thread in mind and the motivations behind, under, along side all these stories; a shared grief.

So yeah, deep stuff.

And when and as you can, Leoba - you know you have fans who will read with appreciation when you do have the headspace. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Re: OOC: The Pale Road to Laketown and to Final Farewells

Postby Bardhwyn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:06 pm

The Muse has, amazingly, not given up on me. She's here, now, whispering tales into my being, singing songs into my core and what else can I do but write them down.

So, I've retitled this story telling thread (again!) as I am well aware that myself and Leoba have stories yet to tell and will tell, when time allows.

So, as long as there are tales to tell, the Memorial of Dirk the Daring is an everlasting event and our characters still yet traverse the road to Laketown, the long pale road to farewell.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Re: OOC: The Pale Road to Laketown and to Final Farewells

Postby Kaya » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am

So, so good to see you writing again. So good to be able to read your writing again, too. That truly was a beautiful post. :)

And I still stand by what I said: not rusty at all. ;)

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)