OOC: The Pale Road to Laketown and to Final Farewells

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: OOC: As The Battle Wanes...

Postby erinhue » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:58 am

Welcome Hidden Ring, Hail Orion. That's the way ya do it. :D
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Dindraug » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am

Really nice post H_R, I genuinly enjoyed reading that.

Umm, this means we have another impressive writer in the mix. As a certain outlaw of dale said recently 'There is nothing I appreciate more than reading someone who makes me want to step up my game.'

:)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Dindraug wrote: As a certain outlaw of dale said recently 'There is nothing I appreciate more than reading someone who makes me want to step up my game.'

And I meant it. :)

Just wish I had a bit more time and energy for 'the game' at present. Project from Hell... sucking my soul. Still, new job, soon - promised myself!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:24 am

We got a newbie posting comments in the story thread. Can we get a Mod to take that post out so it does not spoil the flow of the story. Anybody coming across Xwarrior, let him know the rules around here. Thanks

erinhue

Postby Daefaroth » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Post has been removed per request.
- - - - - Welcome to TORC - - - - -

- There are helpful Announcements at the top of most forums. Please read them.
- Need more help? Check the Adoption Forum.
- Premiere Membership helps support TORC.
Aspire not to rapid, large postcounts, for this only enhances the taste of a spammer,
when roasted with the Breath of Death and served with "Blair’s 16 Million Reserve" sauce.

Enjoy your visits. Remember to mind your manners.

Daefaroth *at* theonering -dot- com -OR- moderators *at* theonering -dot- com
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Thank you for minding the fort, Hue and Daefaroth! Much appreciated!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 am

More fluff to embroider my soap opera. Not a battle in sight here. ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Kaya » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:48 am

Well, I for one am a fan of your soap opera. ;)
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby erinhue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Ouch! I guess Tempest really is mad at The Bard.

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Looks like she is. Wonder if she would like a ride on an Eagle to help her cool off, LOL. I'm thinking up a post as I write.

Party! Party!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Dindraug » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 am

Good to see you Tempest :)

And nice post, just added the right sort of balance to events. Looking forward to when the implications spill out LOL
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:36 am

I agree with Dindraug - both in the 'Good to see you, Tempest!' and the postie - excellent! And yes, a needed balance to be sure.

Somber, grounded... very grounded. Real, too. And yes, what will be in store, we'se wonders.... :?
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:48 am

What's in store? I don't think I want to find out =:)

erinhue

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 am

Y' know, when other people post a little green devil face, I smile and think: 'aw cute'.

However, when you post a little green devil face, Hue, I feel - well - duly warned. ;)

:D
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:18 pm

I have posted some to go along with Tempests post. Nothing much and it does nothing to change the storyline. I hope it is not too disruptive for me to post here.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Bardhwyn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Disruptive? Heavens, no! Not in the least! This is meant to hold the stories of any character leading into the memorial, Vana - your post is most welcome.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Vana, quite the opposite: it's wonderful to see you join in. I hope better times come for you soon in RL as well.

Tempest, I meant to post the other day to tell you that I too really appreciated your post. You have a writing style that feels fresh and real and connects with your readers. I'm really looking forward to seeing more. Nice mention of that handkerchief as well. ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Bardhwyn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

I think of Othello every time I read the word 'handkerchief'. * shudders *

One with little embroidered strawberries... strange what sticks in your mind. :?
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Vana, you did a great job! Sometimes I am the one that feels like the intruder here, as I got no comments. I don't know if anybody liked my post or hated it.

Party! Party!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 am

I certainly know how it feels: you feel inspired to write, you mangle and shape the words to fit the pictures in your mind and the feelings in your heart. You type and type and then that fateful moment comes when you open a reply window, cut and paste. Submit. You leave a bit of yourself on the computerscreen, in those words that are then sent out, over the web to anyone who cares to read them. It's a vulnerable feeling that sometimes lasts only a short while, sometimes a long while. Writing fiction isn't like putting up chat posts; posting a piece of fiction is terribly personal and revealing of our inner selves.

But I've learned over the years not to expect or seek validation through those words, through those bits of myself I leave scattered all over this site. I've learned that you cannot please everyone, that you will not - for lots of reasons; some valid, some completely unjust and hurtful.

The first place to seek validation is in yourself, and, if you don't mind me suggesting, the second place would be your faith, or spiritual path - because that's much bigger than oneself.

I've learned to bring this, instead: How can I improve my writing? How can I improve my storytelling.

I bring that and if people like it and feel moved to say so, I thank them. If people aren't moved to say anything, I keep writing. I keep striving to better myself.

And maybe eat a piece of nice chocolate.

Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 am

It helps to keep in mind that this is not a class or call to judgement, it's a game. We're here to play and have fun living a life we could not live in today's world. With a :cavetroll: ego like mine, you tend to think every post should garner rave reviews from the dozens of readers and fellow posters. I tend to think that if no one is telling me my post was just grand, then it must have been crap. I think everyone has a bit of that feeling, it is a scary thing when you send your little posts out into the world to be seen and scrutinized by others. One bad thing about having a reputation, you tend believe the hype and think you have to knock it out of the park each and every time. All you really need to do is to recognize that your style of writing is not going to be like someone elses and that does by no means mean that one is better or worse than another. It's a game, we are here to have fun and to let everyone playing have fun along with you. Now next time I'm crying in m'beer because no one told me I was a most fantastical, creative and marvelous au-ture, remind me what I just said. :wink:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 am

....but if ya should want to tell me that I am a most fantastical, creative and marvelous writer, I won't turn a deaf ear :twisted:

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 am

You all are great, I love writing with this group!

I'm assuming you're going to be wanting that handkerchief back eventually, Leoba, so I'll try to prevent Tempest from using it for other purposes. :)

I'm glad you're sticking around, Vana, because it wouldn't be the same without you!

And, now Tempest has her very own bear! It seems like an appropriate pet for her---furry, quiet, but deadly.

Though don't tell Brondgast that I called him a pet. :P
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 am

Interesting areas of reflection for me, here, Hue after reading your comments.
I have * never * viewed what I do here with other writers as a game, ever. I've always viewed it as collaborative story telling and the shared craft of writing prose. If that is your definition of 'game', maybe? I don't know.

And I would agree, one should never set oneself up with the expectations one has to 'knock each post out of the ball park' - that would be a tremendous burden. That is unrealistic grasping after achievement, to my thinking - which is drastically different to the slow, gradual process of growth and development which is what I was alluding to when I pose the questions 'how to I improve myself' to myself.

And styles may be different, that is true but I will say, personally, I deem some writers to be better writers than others. Steinbeck is better than JK Rowling, for example, in my opinion - though Rowling is flippin' rolling in the dough. And somewhere, out there, is some unknown writer and he or she may be better than Steinbeck. Exciting thought, that.

I would be sad if, in the misapplied spirit of 'All Men (and Women) Are Created Equal', we obscure genuine, inspired talent for the arts and say 'no one is better than anyone else'. ( DaVinci is no better than the guy who made the oil painting you buy in the parking lot at the seafood restaurant on a windy Saturday...)

I may be describing a view on the arts and one's relationship to it (both as an appreciator and an artist) as a topic which is different to what you're discussing here, though.

I will end by saying acknowleging someone who I deem to be better than me helps me know where I am, helps me clarify what I want to develop, what I hope to create and achieve and where I want to go. Knowing there are people better than me helps me dream.

And then I may eat a nice piece of chocolate.

Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby earendil81 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am

Sorry to but in...

I just wanted to say that I am enjoying the reading very much :D :D

And also to add to what the wonderful archer was just saying.

Much like Bardy, I have never seen collaborative writing on TORC as a *game*, because to me if there is a game it has to be won or lost (I guess Diya was born of that idea up to a certain point). Whereas the reason I have loved writing here is because it is not about winning or having a character that can destroy another as in RPGs. I tried once another LOTR site which had writing but it really was RPG and so the collaboration that helps me get improve, that helps my characters develop was not happening. Needless to say I left extremely fast.
Here we are trying to create and craft a story that can stand on its feet and bring pleasure, sadness to the people who read it. It's not about outdoing each other on every post but rather bring the best out of everyone who participates to share that little part of their soul that we put in our words.

Bardy was writing earlier that it is part of what writing is about, leaving a bit of yourself on the net. I don't know about anyone else but I would not do that if I did not have a sense of trust in the community I share this with. And if it were a *game* I definitely would not do it because I would be terrified to have everything I type be unraveled by someone else because they did not want the game to play like that.

Sorry... just my two cents. I'll disappear again ;)
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Guruthostirn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:56 am

At the risk of bringing analytical, logical, boring thought to bear on the subject, I'll chime in.

Quality. Such a subjective word. Some define it, see it through quantity, a much more solid concept. Another definition may be clarity, though that's a bit more cloudy. Style, word choice, indentation, all aspects of "quality". We all strive for writing "quality" work (at least I believe we all do) but can we ever achieve something if we haven't defined it ahead of time? (General philosophical question of the day there, but I'll keep it specific this morning.)

For myself, I've always striven for "better". Again, a vague idea. But I've generally thought that style, content, and yes, length, were good things that I should strive for. Let me be more precise: length as a measurement of content. If it's not a big, long post, I might feel like I'm not saying enough, not telling enough to make my post worth reading. (Worth, there's another debatable term.) Style can be measured by length as well. Am I writing what I want to present in a succinct manner, or am I too wordy? Am I cutting too much out? Am I telling versus showing (the newest aspect of style I'm struggling with)? I'm sure there are other aspects of style that I'm not thinking of.

Unfortunately, so often, unless we specifically ask, or have a specific mentor, we have to go through the experience of trying to become better writers alone. Even in a group setting such as TORC, the learning process, at least for me, has been a solo experience. As such, it's tough to recognize not only where we could improve ourselves, but how. I haven't seen a list of "aspects of good writing" that I can go down, decide which are significant for myself, and then examine my own work to see where I can improve. I would welcome such a list, and if others would be interested I would enjoy making our own list. We have a lot of good writers here, people who have different viewpoints, different insights into these aspects of writing. This may not be the thread for it, but having such a discussion could clarify things for ourselves, as I've had to do for myself while writing here about the subject, as well as helping others see how they can analyze their own work, for their own decisions about improving their writing.

Essentially I'm saying we should learn what quality is, objectively and for ourselves, before we judge our own work, or be so bold as to judge another's work. Once we have that framework, that lens, then perhaps we shall watch as people's writing changes, evolves, not through blindly groping for an ephemeral ghost of an idea, but through informed insight into what can be done with their vision.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 am

Oh I meant game as in play pretend not something with rules to follow and a winner and losers. Long long ago I used to hang with a group of real time RPers. We would stage dramas in Central Park with Belvadeer's Castle as a favored location. No one ever won at those either, it was more to be your character, and to show off theatrical skills and to just plain have fun. It was sort of done like D&D only more live action and sword fights Ah those were the days. :roll: :lol:

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes, I am primarily here to have fun, not write another version of War and Peace. That is my main purpose in writing, and it shows in what I do. You see how I simply soar when I write for Meneldor, (hey, that rhymes!) And I have a flair for the offbeat, riding the road less traveled. which is why I am all thumbs writing for the usual contigent of humans and elves. (I drive people nuts in Star Trek RPG's at times with my off the wall characters.)

LOL, yes, you better not call Brondgast a pet, Tempest. Oh, how he'd not like that, hehehee... :P

To me, and this is just my own opinion, being overly serious about what I'm writing just kills it. For me, writing is a lot like bird-watching. I let my characters loose and then watch what they say and do. And several times, they surprise even me! I look and say "He didn't just do or say THAT???" :shock: Go look at some of my stories I've done in the Scriptorium, and you see that tendency.

And like Hue, my own :cavetroll: ego just eats it up when people say I'm fantastic, and I love to hear it, as I tend to be my own worst critic. If I hear nothing, then I begin to think, Rats! It must be lousy. But that' s just me. :)

Party! Party!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:14 pm

I get that soaring part, used to get a real rush once the Berserker was let loose, mainly becaused I had promised Jon to not get carried away with that aspect of The Bard character, which actually pre-dates this forum.

I could write Erinhue in my sleep, cause basically, he's me, but with better lines and more talent. as for Agarak, it sort of created itself and sometimes even I do not know what it is gonna do.

erinhue

Postby Hidden_Ring » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 pm

There is always that one character that is fun and easy to write. I often find it is the sociopath, the one that doesn't accept any rules except his own (and occasionally not even those).

RP here is a "game" much like D&D or Storyteller systems from White Wolf. It is better described as a co-operative storytelling venture. Multiple people all telling their own little corner of the final tapestry.

And 'hue... were you planning to skulk in solitude through the memorial or are you just 'out of sync' with the funeral procession, i.e. catching up with them as they hit the East Road?
Hidden_Ring
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)