The Mithril Knights - Initiation

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: The Mithril Knights - Initiation

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 pm

After Erinhue explained where that stone had come from, and it WAS Idril's, he closed his eyes to think. And the memories came back to him, when Thorondor had taken him under his wing, so to speak, and gave him daily lessons. He had been sent when Turgon founded Gondolin, to guard the hidden place. He heard Thorondor's lessons as he flew with his lord around the places there, and they passed the gates.

Familiarize yourself with these gates, my son. You are to make the rounds of them as you go round the mountains here.
I am a guard, my lord?
Yes, for now, my son. I know you will eventually see battle, but it is far off when you find your wings.
An iron gate, with a likeness of you. Green stones for eyes.
Not a very good likeness, but they put it there to honor me, so I do not object.

One of those stones dazzled him for a moment, and he had to fly faster to catch up with his lord.

Coming back to the present, he thought, that was what I saw on the breast of Idril Celebrindal when she escaped the ruin of Gondolin! No wonder she never mentioned it to me. I wonder what she will say when she finds it on me.

So far, the gem's use was to bring back memories. But after what had happened in the mural, it may be more than that.

The Letter G

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 am

Telta's eyes popped open when she felt a gentle nudge at her side. She had closed them for a moment letting her mind wander. She was definitely not at her best for she had not heard Erinhue approach.

She sat up a little straighter pushing some errant wisps of hair out of her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Well now, Telta, darlin', how goes it with you." His smile was contagious and she smiled back.

"I am...fine Hue." He looked at her his sea grey eyes telling her he knew differently. He was a dear friend and knew her only too well.

"Really. I am fine." and as he continued to look at her she added "Just a little tired. I guess even I have my limitations." She chuckled softly at that revelation.

"But you. How is your shoulder?"

He smiled again. "It's fine. Tarlan's medicinal brew is working." The face he made made her laugh. She knew well how he felt.

The others in the roon looked their way and she grew serious once more when she saw Tarlan binding the wound on Djazi.

"Do you know how this happened Hue?"
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Claymore » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 am

Djaleh winced when Tarlan tightened another suture.
‘You were quite lucky, young man,’the healer groused. “ A bit deeper or a bit more to the center and it would have pierced the abdominal cavity and where would we be then?
Another prick as the healer started a new stitch.
-As it is it mostly slashed your external abdominal muscles. Luckily mostly in the fiber direction so I expect it to heal nicely and without loss of function.
A burning sting, as Tarlan wiped away the blood still oozing from the wound with a brandy soaked piece of linen. Then again the prick of a needle.
“The sutures will have to stay in for seven days,”the healer continued. “A bit of water won’t hurt but try to keep it dry . Above all I want you to keep traction off it, so that you don’t undo all my hard work. So no training or haring off on some ridiculous adventure, am I clear?”
“Yes sir,”Djaleh said somewhat blandly. He couldn’t help but laugh when he saw the exasperated face of the healer. Obviously the man had his fair share of experience with head-strong young and not-so-young fighters and he knew exactly what Djaleh thought of his advice to slow down for a couple of days. The man harrumphed and finished his handiwork.
“Well hopefully I won’t see you before seven days,” Tarlan finally said. “ Or maybe not even that if you are of the kind to remove your own stitches, like that one,”he added while nodding to Erinhue.
“Speaking of that one,”Tarlan continued a bit darkly. “I am going to blister his ears. I don’t know what he did with the beverage but Initiates are not supposed to get wounded during their Vision QUest.”
“The beverage was fine,”Djaleh interrupted.
The healer frowned.
- What do you mean? It obviously wasn’t fine since you went in too deep,now was it?
“The others didn’t go in too deep,”Djaleh objected.
Tarlan’s frown deepened.
-Then what did happen?
“COuld you gather the others?” Djaleh asked. “I think everybody needs to know.”
Curious the healer did just that and soon everyone had gathered.

Djaleh told them everything. ABout how he had been able to interact with the vision from the start, something which had not been the case for the rest if he interpreted the expressions around him correctly. About what his mother had told him about a potential enemy interfering and about the finding of his adult name.

A short silence fell after he finished.
“So somebody was interfering?” Erinhue finally said, his usually merry expression turned stony. Djaleh nodded.
“But how would they have known?’ the Bard continued.
“A spy?”Djaleh offered. “ Even a simple visitor would have known that something was happening today. We haven’t exactly been hiding it.”
He pointed to the Main Hall were some staff were sweeping the floor even at the late hour.
“That or they got a hold of one of our own,”he added, worried thoughts immediately going to Tempest.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Meneldor listened to what Djaleh had to say. "This is profoundly disturbing." he said. "All we know of Tempest is that she went East. One thing we need to do is find Pallando the Blue. He is one of the Ithryn Luin that sent me to you, and if anybody has any idea of what is going on, he would."

"That fits into what I was told by Tharanduil." said Brondgast. "He told me that one of the Knights of the SIlmaril tried to steal the Stone of Bar when it was in his keeping. He paid for it with his life, as only ashes were found, and a few tokens. That's when he had it sent down here just in time for me to find it in the armory. We need to find the spy that is here."

"You all need to rest for the night." said Erinhue. "In the morning is breakfast, then the Oath will be administered to you all." He looked to his dragonharp. "Agarak, did you notice anything out of the unusual?" The dragonharp responded with sarcastic tones.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 pm

The next morning slept away to afternoon when the bronze bells in the Guild House towers began to ring, calling everyone to the Great Hall. A sumptuous meal was set out on the long table. The meal was occasion for much gossip about the prior night’s events and some good natured joking at the expense of the Initiates. When the servers came to clear away the empty platters and dishes, Erinhue stood up.

“My fellow Knights, We have unfinished business this morning.”

The Guild Herald of the Order of the Mithril Knights walked down to the end of the table and motioned for the other initiates to come and take a place beside Meneldor. A knight in training brought him a large scroll. Erinhue opened it and began to read the Oath of the Order.

"Chivalry is a high code of honour which is of most ancient origin and must be lived by all who would be a Mithril Knight.
It must be keened that thoughts and intent put forth on this middle earth will wax strong in other worlds beyond, and return...bringing into creation, on this world, that which had been sent forth. Thus one should exercise discipline, for "as ye do plant, so shall ye harvest."
"This above all...to thine own self be true."
A Mithril Knight's word must have the validity of a signed and witnessed oath. Thus give thy word sparingly, but adhere to it like iron.
5. Refrain from speaking ill of others, for not all truths of the matter may be known.
6. Pass not unverified words about another, for hearsay is, in large part, a thing of falsehoods.
7. Be thou honest with others, and have them known that honesty is likewise expected from them.
8. The fury of the moment plays folly with the truth, to keep ones head is a virtue.
9. Contemplate always the consequences of thine acts upon others. Strive not to harm.
10. Dignity, a gracious manner and a good humor are much to be admired.
11. Courage and honour endure forever. Their echoes remain when the mountains have fallen and crumbled to dust.
12. Pledge friendship and fealty to those who so warrant. Strengthen those of the brethren and they shall strengthen thee.
13. Thou shalt not reveal the secrets of the Mithril Knights Guild or any secrets trusted to you by a fellow Guild member.
14. Have pride in thy self and seek perfection in body and in mind. For it is said "How cans't thou honour another, lest they honour thy self first?"

When he had finished reading The Oath of the Mithril Knights, Erinhue spent a moment studying the face of each one of the four that stood before him.

“What say ye? Do you accept and swear this Oath?”
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm

"Aye!" said Meneldor. "This Oath will add to the Oath of the Great Eagles I have already sworn, and I will keep it to the end."

"Yes, I accept and swear the Oath, Guild Herald Erinhue!" said Brondgast, without hesitation.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:03 am

As Erinhue read what was written upon the scroll thoughts of how she came to be here, now, in this place drifted through her mind. Much had happened from the first time she had wandered into the Lucky Fortune til this very moment.

Be thou honest with others, and have them known that honesty is likewise expected from them.

Her life had changed. She had changed.

Pledge friendship and fealty to those who so warrant.Strengthen those of the brethren and they shall strengthen thee.

Hue's kindness and those around him had given her much. But above all his friendship and trust was the cause of her breaking from the path she had been on. She looked at the other initiates Meneldor, Brondgast and Djaleh, She had only recently met them but she hoped they too would become friends.

Have pride in thy self and seek perfection in body and in mind. For it is said "How cans't thou honour another, lest they honour thy self first?"

She would strive to attain all that was put forth to them and she knew there was much to improve. The elf looked around at those gathered in the hall. A sense of belonging welled up inside her. Here she could and would do her best to uphold the Oath and all it stood for.

Telta looked at Erinhue. "I accept and swear the Oath."

Her brother's voice echoed in her mind. "I am proud of you Tas."
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Claymore » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Djaleh mouthed the words of the oath along with Erinhue. He’d known the words of the Oath long before he’d even thought of going North.

Baran had liked to tell his little brother about the Knights and Djaleh in turn had liked to hear about them. It was encouraging to know that such people existed.
Not that Djaleh had always believed Baran. Sometimed the Knights had seemed to good to be true. But that hadn’t kept him from listening and he’d absorbed Baran’s stories like a sponge.

ANd now, finally he was taking the oath that would induct him in the very Order that once upon a time had seemed but a distant daydream.
Djaleh smiled.

“What say ye?”Erinhue said. “ Do you accept and swear this Oath?”

One by one the soon-to-be-former Initiates gave their assent.
Djaleh came last.
“Yes,”he said simply and for a moment he could’ve have sworn he was still having hallucinations. For a moment it seemed that Baran was standing behind the Bard’s shoulder bearing a grin that could rival the sun.
Djaleh grinned back.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:56 pm

For Meneldor, the vision quest in the Initiation Chamber was not the first to him, nor would it be the last. He had the same experience that the elves had, of being on both sides at once. It seemed the Guild Hall here was ripped away, and he beheld the mount of Taniquetil.

The Eagles there were silent, until Meneldor gave the Oath of the Mithril Knights. Then, a chorus of Eagle voices raised in triumph. The Last Eagle had come into his own at last. Thorondor circled the Mount and then whispered the words that Meneldor had always longed for.

Well done, my son.

He was back in the Hall. Tears were in his eyes.

He looked over to the other three sworn-in Knights and thought to himself, I have fought beside these in my trial. I am proud to call them friend.

He beamed at Erinhue, full of joy. This is what his long journey had been for.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 am

A short line of bearers followed Erinhue as he put down the scroll. They followed him as the Guild Herald went to each of the Initiates and asked if they would agree with and swear to the guiding principles of the Order.

As each responded, the Guild Herald turned to one of the bearers and took up a carefully folded cloak. The blue and silver mantle marked with the emblem of the Order was placed around the shoulders of Telta, Brondgast and Djaleh. When he came to Meneldor, the Great Eagle bowed his head low enough to accept the blue and silver collar that would serve as his cloak The clasp was designed to allow his treasure from the Armory to show brightly through.

Servers were already rushing about filling every glass and mug for a final toast.

When Erinhue’s cup was filled at last, he raised it up in a gesture of salute.

“To you, my friends, my comrades, it is my duty, my honor and my great personal pleasure to declare that…” and here he had to raise his voice to a shout to be heard above the beginning calls and cheers...

“…. Brondgast, Djaleh, Meneldor and Teltasarwen are the newest among us to join the Order of the Mithril Knights!”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 pm

All were cheering the new Knights. Meneldor bowed slightly. It was then that his eagle eyes saw one of the servers slink out quietly, unnoticed. The one who had poured the cup for Erinhue. He had seen this one early in the ceremonies, but it hadn't raised his suspicions. Until now. After what happened to Djaleh, his defenses were up. As Erinhue raised the cup to his lips, the Eagle moved a wing and knocked it out of his hand onto the floor, spilling the wine.

"Dol Amroth, what are you doing, you crazy bird?" said Erinhue.

But Agarak's eyes blazed red and raised up, firing blue flame at the wine spilled on the floor. Smoke raised up in the form of a skull and crossbones. A few strings sounded, almost saying I owe you, Knight Meneldor.

"I thought that server looked suspicious." said Meneldor. "Anybody seen him before?"

Those assembled shook their heads. Most didn't notice the servers, except to thank them when they did their job.

"He's long gone by now, but I marked him, if ever I see him again." said the Eagle. It was a choice between apprehending the culprit or saving Erinhue, and he made the quickest choice.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:28 pm

“Eternally grateful, Meneldor.” Erinhue said while watching the venomous image waft away to nothing.

I’m sure you are right and our man is long gone, but order a search of the guild house and the grounds.”
Erinhue picked up the dragonharp and headed towards the main doors to the courtyard. Every Knight in the Great Hall followed.

Once outside, Erinhue held the harp and strummed his fingers across the strings. As the notes played the image of footsteps appeared crossing the yard. The images came to an abrupt end just short of the gates to the garden, and open exit to the east. Erinhue strummed the strings again but there were no more images, no more clues.

The bard looked puzzled for a moment. “ I am afraid that is all there is. Something is preventing Agarak from tracking our intruder any further than the garden gate. Beyond that, escape would be no difficulty, especially if that escape had been pre planned. You all take note of the direction. Our escapee is headed East and I suspect that we soon shall be as well. An auspicious start to an adventure. What say you all?”

The assembled Mithril Knights shouted out with one voice, “Aye!”

erinhue

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)