The Mithril Knights: Shadows in the East

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: The Mithril Knights: Shadows in the East

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri May 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Meneldor circled far above, watching, always watching the movement of the Corsair ship, watching for a hostile move.

He knew what to do, he just wanted the others to find their own way, and not depend on him all the time. He would come through for them, they were his family now, but they had to do their part as well.

It was then, he saw they started making their hostile move. They were moving, and arming themselves for an attack.

Screeching his battle cry, he dived down on them, aiming for the black sails. He dug his talons into the sails, and flapped his powerful wings, and the gem he had chosen at his initiation sparkled in the sun and the sea, a nice shiny object that he fancied. He had yet to know if it was anything more, and it wasn't time anyway.

R-R-R-Rrrrippppp! He tore the sails from the mast, pulling upwards, ignoring the shouts from the corsairs. What they were saying wasn't worth repeating anyway.

He carried the sail away, then dropped it into the sea. They'd have to find another way to propel themselves now, and it would give an advantage to his friends.

Cuuuuute!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Brondgast saw changing into a bear wouldn't help things any, so he had his battle axe out and was ready in case they boarded. But then, the Eagle flew in and ripped away the sails from the oncoming ship. That would disable them for a while, at least, and confuse them.

He looked at the others to see what they would do.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 pm

“Their not giving it up, me hardies “ Captain Meer shouted and he was right. Frantic activity could be detected on the deck of the other ship. The crew was preparing to Gerry rig a new sail and continue the chase.

“Sharp eyes to the crow’s nest” Meer yelled to his crew. “ To the reefs, boys, you know the spot. Keep a weather eye out for the doorway now. Get her rigged for running.”

Activity on The Return hit a fevered pitch. The rigging was filled with men hauling up more and more sail. Two men climbed high to the nest at the top of the tallest mast. Shading their eyes from the sun they scoured the sea scouting the way forward.

In minutes, The Return was fairly flying across the water. The dark ship behind was smaller and lighter and now the damage to its sail had been repaired. They too had taken on extra sail and was swiftly closing the distance.

The company of Mithril Knights and the crew members not occupied stood at the ship’s stern ready to repel all boarders. When the dark ship was close enough for them to make out individuals on the deck, Captain Meer shouted out commands.
“Sing out when we reach the door, boys. Hard a’port when you hear’em lads.” The captain thought better of his second command and took the wheel himself.

“Kai Yai, Captain” the cry was repeated and when it reached Meer, the man leaned into the wheel and turned the ship hard to port. The Return had barely settled out of the turn when Meer hauled on the wheel and turned it sharply starboard.

“Captain, we’re too close by the bow”

Meer made the adjustment and strained to hold the wheel and the ship steady as it navigated a narrow channel in and through the reefs. As soon as the ship was free of the dangerous rocks the captain spun the wheel and turned the ship as if he were headed to the shore.

As he had hoped, the captain of the dark ship pursuing them thought to cut them off,bringing his ship towards the reef and away from the hidden channel of safety. A loud crash and cracking of timbers was soon heard in The Return’s wake. This was followed immediately by distant curses and cries of dismay. The pirates would need to look to themselves and their damaged ship and forgo whatever prize they hoped to gain.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 pm

While the captain was steering the ship, Meneldor kept off that perch so the captain and crew could steer their ship through the dangerous passage. He instead screeched his war cry, buzzing the pursuing ship and distracting them as they chased.

Brondgast saw them approaching, and changed into a bear, getting ready to fight if boarded. He roared loudly at them, giving his challenge, and ready to repel all boarders.

Meneldor striking from above, the captain steering like the expert he was, and Brondgast ready to fight. What could be better? But then, the dark ship ran on the reefs, and all heard the timbers crack. The Eagle gave a cry of victory even as the bear roared with delight. They had passed their first challenge on this quest, and more awaited.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 pm

The crew of The Return cheered at the sound of cracking timbers and watched in victory as the sea put distance between them and their would be attackers. The ship sailed up the wide channel towards the Island of Tolfalas and on to the mouth of the Anduin River.

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:47 pm

The sea battle was over almost as quickly as it had begun, thanks in no small part to the Eagle and the dept handling of The Return by her crew. Still, it had given Akara enough time to observe her companions as they faced battle, which she found invaluable. Who knew if someday she would be on the receiving end of their swords, so it was best to be prepared. What was troublesome about them, however, was that they each fought so differently and yet as a team. This must be why the Mithril Knights were famous for their skill in all of Middle Earth. Their uniquenesses wielded together as one unit, made them a formidable foe indeed. She would need to be careful if she was to get what she wanted from them.

But for the moment, she could be the patient spider.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

It was too hot outside to do anything.

The streets, once full to bursting in the morning hours, now rustled only with hot dust and a stray dog here and there. It was too warm to do business, too warm to farm, too warm to do anything but sit in the taverns and drink. And that is just what Syfa did. But he found another principle at work too in the heat; men's tongues seemed strangely loosened. It was as though the warm blanket of smothering air gave a lazy glaze to life; secrets didn't matter, death and life seemed swallowed up in a warm glow, and add a few drinks to the matter, and the most discrete man seemed like the town gossip.

So it was that finally, after all these weeks, the mention of Tempest's name fell upon his ears. And it was from the mouth of one of the slipperiest dealers that he finally heard pieces of the tale.

"She won't be coming back no more," the man licked his lips in anticipation. "What they done to her, she can't come back from."

"But...her body....where did they bury it?" Syfa asked, tossing back the last of his ale, trying not to act too interested.

"That's the joke of it all," the man said, leaning in with a leer, "She wasn't dead when they put her in. But it will be her tomb just as well."

Syfa's face paled. "You don't mean...."

"What else could I mean?" the man sneered, wiping his mouth with this sleeve.

"But why? For what crime?"

"I don't know, but I saw them take her away with my own eyes. She didn't even understand what they said, she didn't know the horror that awaited or she would have fought back more than she did. It's a pity in many ways. I heard she used to stand before the Eye unwavering to take his orders. But you'll never see her again."

"You are certain of this?" Syfa asked.

"I didn't get close enough to see her thrown in, if that's what you mean. But I swear on the Emerald Serpent that it is as I have said. They were taking her there. And as you know, no one comes back from the Obliviate. I say take what little money she left behind for yourself. And pray that they don't come for you too. "
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 pm

The threat of battle had passed. As the pursuers faded and vanished in the distance, The Return continued on course, unchallenged.

During the days the company of Knights was left to their own devices. The ranking officer, Erinhue, spent most of the day asleep below deck. Telta made several attempts to get him up but each one was met with a muttered “Can’t possibly do that before sunset, darlin’.” Every evening he was up promptly for supper and spent the rest of the night being a bard.

Both company and crew gathered round when Erinhue called Agarak to him. He got them all singing, told them stories and made them laugh. The first night, Erinhue spotted his true audience peering at him from where the horses were tettered. She stayed there that night, but soon Akara came out of hiding and joined the other intrigued listeners. Erinhue pretended to ignore her, but watched her closely. On his finger, Mithweaver, Air Ring of the Wordsmith, grew warm as its power was called up, exerted and directed towards the girl.

With each successive evening the girl grew bolder and positioned herself closer and closer to where ever the bard decided to play. Erinhue continued to ignore her and watched as her curiosity about him grew. Mithweaver drew her to his voice and worked its magic as he spoke or sang.

One day, the last they would spend aboard ship, Erinhue was awake and above deck as the sun rose over the water. He went forward to a place at the bow, where Akara spent her mornings gazing out towards the East.

“Good mornin’ to ya, darlin’ and a fine one it looks likely ta be.”

Akara jumped, startled by the greeting. She had not heard the bard approach. She did not respond.

Erinhue nodded to himself. Turning a second stage grin on the girl he went on as if she had not just scowled daggers at him. “I saw how you carried yourself when we thought there would be an attack. I know girls your age who would have been cowering below decks, but you were ready to take on all comers. I like that. It’s Akara, right?”

The compliment caught her off guard. Akara could only nod.

“Good. I am often bad with names and that’s not good for a bard.” The tone of his voice changed. “ I understand that you don’t really want to be with us. I also know you have your own reasons for traveling with us. For the most part that is wise. I came through these lands alone when I was close to your age. It can be very dangerous out in the wild for a young one on the run.”

Curiosity got the better of her resolve to remain impassive and Akara asked, “What were you running from?” packing as much derision as she could into the words.

“The man I was apprenticed to tried to kill me, twice, and had men chasing me all the way to Bree to try and finish the job.”

The bard’s words sounded very matter of fact and he quickly changed the subject.

“We’ll be leaving The Return by nightfall and we have a bit of a ways to go before we cross the river and head east. I like to know who I’m riding with so tell me, What are you running from?”

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am

Akara was not entirely surprised at Erinhue’s approach. After all, he WAS the leader of the group, and as such, had a responsibility to know the members, especially those who were not Knights. But what she felt alarmed by was her willingness to talk with him. “No no no,” she kept telling herself internally. “Be on your guard. Don’t say too much. These things never end well for you.”

So, instead she gave off a posture of defense that even she could sense was crumbling as the bard’s friendly gaze and smile bore a hole right through her. She had been prepared for suspicion, for dismissiveness, even for spite. She had no defense for kindness or genuine interest.

She swallowed hard as Erinhue said, “We’ll be leaving The Return by nightfall and we have a bit of a ways to go before we cross the river and head east. I like to know who I’m riding with so tell me, What are you running from?”

“I’m not running away from anything,” she said too quickly.

”Sure, and that’s why you’re alone. No family and friends to speak of? Just exploring the world?” the bard said with a smile.

She shifted uncomfortably. ”I had a family. They’re gone. The rest of the clan cast me out when my mother died in the plague. Indeed, it is as I told you. I’m not running. I have no desire to go back to them. I just…it is said that you cannot go forward until you understand the past. I do not understand my past. I would like to know who I am, and why it came to pass that I could be an Easterling at heart, yet bear the face of Rohan.”

”And you have no enemies that dog your steps?” he asked innocently.

She studied his face and then cast her gaze again out towards the East. ”Everyone has enemies. But my clan made it clear that I meant less than dust to them. They neither care whether I live or die. They certainly would not send anyone to seek me out.”

He could tell that she spoke the truth, but there was something else behind her eyes that made him certain that she had left a piece of the puzzle out. ”Very well, but what about others, beside your clan? Elbren said you searched for Tempest in other cities and towns. Plenty of opportunity to create new foes.”

Her face remained impassive---so like Tempest’s when she wished to give nothing away. But the girl was not as skilled as Tempest, and he saw a glimmer of something very like Fear flit briefly across her face.

”Who could be threatened by questions from a girl looking for her mother?” she answered with a quick laugh. ”Don’t be ridiculous. You have nothing to fear from me. There is no one who cares what happens to me, good or bad. If anything, you'll be the ones who bring us trouble.”
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm

The girl's laugh was nervous and came too quickly. Her words of innocent truth were a cover for more that she was not saying. She refused to look him in the eye directly, and that was never a good sign. He made no attempt to get closer to the girl. He did not talk to her any more. He just stood there on the bow gazing off towards the East.

A few low notes from his unseen harp strummed into Erinhue's mind.

"Of course I know she is hiding something." Erinhue thought back in response. " I didn't stay alive this long without being able to see a thing like that. From the looks of her, I'd say she is hiding quite a bit. No matter, let her keep her mystery for now. We have a long road ahead and dark secrets have a way of coming to light"

erinhue

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:31 am

When Telta was not spending time with Shadowdancer or trying her best to get Hue to join them during the daylight hours, to no avail, she found herself wandering the deck of the Return.

Keen eyes scoured the channel and the distant outline of the shore. as they sailed unimpeded at least for now. Their run-in earlier was but a small taste of what lie ahead. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that the closer they got to their destination the greater the danger and all were prepared for what would come their way. At least she knew this was true of the Mithril Knights.

Her thoughts turned to the young girl, Akara and a small shadow of doubt and mistrust gnawed at her. The elf could not shake the feeling yet she had no right to judge the girl on appearances only. Akara's actions would prove her true intentions and Telta hoped it would be for the better for she wanted to trust the girl.

Turning her face into the cool breeze Telta closed her eyes listening to the sounds of the crew and the knights and the waves that hit the ship as it sailed smoothly along.

She enjoyed the rocking of the ship as much as riding Shadowdancer. A small smile brightened her features as she thought how the beautiful black horse would be put out by her comparison of him against the Return.

The sun broke the horizon and Telta opened her eyes. It was time once again to try and coax Hue into joining them. His refusal would not stop her from trying. She could be just as stubborn.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Meneldor thought of going back to his dinghy, but decided against it. He flew above, scanning the shore for foes. The attack by the corsairs made him wary, and he was on the alert. That was where he belonged, up in the sky, not down on the sea where he was a sitting duck, and a target for any who would want to shoot arrows at him. So far, all was quiet. Too quiet.

Brondgast was a man again, and listened to the songs of Erinhue. And he wondered where the others were, Vana and Idril. Wherever they were, he hoped they were well. Tempest, however, what had become of her? That was what they were on a quest to find out.

As the sun went down, Meneldor landed on his perch. His balance was getting better, but soon would be the time they would leave the ship and head east.And he thought of Pallando, he had much to tell the old wizard.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:14 am

The rose gold light of sunset made its earliest appearance as The Return pulled in to dock at a trade village on the western shore of the Anduin River. When their gear and supplies had been brought ashore, the company of Mithril Knights led their horses along the planks bridging the distance from the ship to the shore.

The horses were more than a little rambunctious in expressing their joy to be on firm immovable earth once again. Each knight took the time to calm their mounts and get them under control while they waited for their ranking officer to join them. Erinhue had stayed behind to settle accounts and say good-bye to his friend, Captain Meer.

The company was packed for the road and waiting when their captain finally appeared. They heard him before they looked to see him coming.

Instead of leading his steed down the wooden planks, Erinhue was riding Treble off the ship. The bright silver bells woven into the dappled pony’s long white mane and tail gave off a merry jingle jangle with every step.

Having known him the longest, Telta felt very comfortable in challenging what she saw as bizzar behavior in their captain. She did not see her senior officer when she looked at Erinhue, she saw her old and very dear friend and as such she gave voice to what was in the minds of the entire company.

“’Hue?! What in the name of Eru are you thinking?”

erinhue

Postby Teltasarewen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Shadowdancer pawed at the ground anxious to stretch his legs, happy to be on solid ground once more. Telta leaned forward in her saddle to stroke the impatient horse's neck.

"Soon my dear friend, very soon we shall be on our way."

Telta straightened slowly at the sound of bells a puzzled expression crossing her features. The others were surprised as they sat watching Hue move down the plank astride Treble with bells announcing their arrival.

None were expecting this not even Telta herself. Yet after knowing him all this time she was not totally caught off guard at what Hue chose to do just a little confused. Surely stealth would have been the better choice.

"Hue?! What in the name of Eru are you thinking?”

Just what did Hue expect to accomplish?

"I have seen you do many things but letting any who may wish to...hinder...our journey know we are coming?"

Telta had paused choosing the right word so as not to alarm the young girl further. She may prove true to the spirit she saw in Akara or it may well be only words. There was no need to add to the tension already present.

Hue looked at her. She looked back the trust she had in Hue visible to all. She had no cause to doubt her long time friend.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:30 pm

The very best version of his star bright grin lit Erinhue’s face and eyes as he spoke in a lazy draw.

“Well now, Telta, darlin’, way I figure it that merry little chase we led on The Return just goes to show that who or whatever means to hinder us already knows we’re here.” He winked at Telta’s confusion. “As to what was I thinking, that’s the point. I have been thinking.”

“It’s like this.” The bard rode up to his companions and laid out his plans. It’s a fact that something knows we are coming. They certainly know we are here. And while I don’t mind bragging, another fact is it isn’t likely that I'm going to ride through this part of Gondor without some one taking note. Now that could be a problem but it gave me an idea. Why not use it? If I’m gonna be recognized why try to hide it or go sneaking around. We just go boldly and travel right out in the open. If anyone wants to know what we are up to, we’ll show them, every evening right about sundown.”

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

“Sundown?” What happens at sundown?” Doubt rang in Telta’s questioning voice.

“The show, darlin’, the show, of course.”

Erinhue looked at the uncertain faces around him and continued.

“If they are going to be watching us anyway we give them something to watch. We’re a bard troupe making a pilgrimage, I haven’t quite worked all that part out yet but the rest should be fairly easy.”

“Hue, what are you talking about?” Telta’s eyes flashed and her expressions said she was considering violence.

“Callendril, the Bard’s Guildhouse is up along the way we are headed for this leg of the journey so we can use that. If they know me here they know I am GuildMaster so it would be reasonable for there to be a troup of players headed that way along with me. So that’s our cover. We are a performing troupe a traveling.”

Erinhue paused waiting for them to admire his plan. He was met with stunned and confused silence.

“I’m a bard. Everyone knows that, so I will be one. Telta here is a guild member in good standing and there is no one better with a bow and arrow than she is. Something tells me we can find a knife tricks or two in D’jazi. Our Beorning has his natural talent and Akara can pose as his trainer. The rest of the company can pose as our support crew”

Here Erinhue came to a genuine pause.

“I only have one problem and Meneldor, my friend, you are it. I have a solution but Firstly, I do not know if you will want to go along with it and secondly I have no idea if Agarak will even do it.”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Brondgast looked at Erinhue like he had mushrooms growing out of his ears. "You are suggesting I be a dancing bear under her as a trainer?" he said. "Did you hit your head on that ship?" but then he laughed. "This is the most absurd plan I have ever heard in my life, but it might just work. But there will be no whips."

Meneldor, however, had his doubts. "You do realize I am the closest any of the Great Eagles to be a bard myself. I only need induction into the Guild. Has any before heard of a singing Eagle? I see no problem here. But what is this 'solution' you propose? You may be right that Agarak won't do it, if it is what I think it is."

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 am

Telta trusted Hue with her life, their lives but she could not help but feel a slight twinge of doubt as she watched him smile. He was up to something.

She and the others listened as he explained what he had in mind.

The elf could not argue the fact that their arrival had not gone unnoticed, The incident while aboard the Return was no accident there was no denying that.

But letting all know of their whereabouts was to her way of thinking to dangerous.Hue's way of having them ride openly into danger was either very daring or very foolish.

Hue's explanation was still vague and even the Guild Master had not worked out all the details. Frustration rose and she let it slip as she spoke.

"Hue what are you talking about?"

What he had proposed sounded alright but could they pull it off?

She was taken aback and slightly embarrassed when he mentioned her part in the guild and her skill with bow and arrow but it passed quickly as he spoke of the others and their skills.

When it came to Meneldor all were silent waiting for Erinhue's "solution".
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 pm

“Oh no, not ta worry, Brondgast.” Erinhue’s laugh was reassuring as he continued with his explanations. “No whips and no chains. I think the fact that our trainer can work without will just go towards her prowess. Good for the act. I’m going to send one of the squires into town to fetch us up a wagon we can fix up for our bear to travel in. You would only need to be in that form when we come into town and for the show of course.”

I’m sure the rest of you can find ways to turn your battle skills to something less deadly and more entertaining. We have few days on the road before we need to pass through a populated area. We can all figure this out and fix all the holes in the plan along the way.”

Here Erinhue stopped, his smile fading a bit. He considered his idea once more before he gave it voice.

“That can all be worked out” he said again,” but the real problem is Meneldor. There is no way to hide a Great Eagle not as he is at the moment. His very presence would be a confirmation we want to avoid. Now the rumors here go that even aside from the Great Eagles, the birds of prey, especially eagles, are of uncommon size in the north, so that’s my idea.

With Meneldor’s concent and Agarak’s cooperation, I propose that we shrink down our rather large friend to something, still magnificent and legendary but a bit more believable as a creature of some far away mountain.”

Erinhue stopped again and nodded at the still faces around him.
“My thinking is this can be a rehearsal run. If we get good enough this might serve us as a cover when we enter more unfriendly lands.”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Meneldor's look was that of relief. "I am glad to hear your real plan." he said. "I was afraid you wanted me changed to a human, or," he shuddered, "a canary. I am used to my size, though it is intimidating to some. It will be hard to adjust to the size change, being smaller, but it is one of the trials of being a Mithril Knight, I guess. I will do it, my friend, if you so desire. What you see before you is the clothing of my true self as one of the guardian spirits of Manwë"

He had already suffered the humiliation of being towed along like a pet parrot, but had survived it. And he would survive this as well.

"And I am a bard in all but title. I hope to be inducted into the Bard's Guild as well, if you think I have the bardic spirit within me."

He lifted up his voice in song in anticipation:

To be a bard,
To lift up the song, is a gift,
For one is born so,
the song is in my heart,

It is like a consuming fire,
sent from the One,
An echo of the Great Song
Which permeates all creation.

Some remember better than most,
Those are the bards,
The song is within,
Like a caged beast,
pawing to get out.

It cannot help but burst out
To grace all hearers!
And it flows like a river,
Leaping from its source,
Nourishing all that it passes,

And all that hear it grows.

He looked at Erinhue, his eyes shining like the gem within the mithril collar that he wore.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Telta did not envy Brondgast's parti n Hue's scheme. Fixing up the wagon to acomodate his bear form meant undoubtedly a cage. No matter how short a time he may need to spend within the confines of the cage it was as far as she was concerned too long.

The elf could only shake her head.

"You are one sorry excuse for an elf." she spoke quietly berating herself for her weakness of confined spaces.

She had done many things, been in battles, received numerous wounds she feared nothing or so she had thought. Telta shifted in her saddle. No one knew of her"affliction" not even Hue. She had so far controlled it and would continue to do so for their sakes.

But Hue's confidence in them turning their skills into something less deadly she was not so confident especially when it came to herself. She would need to think hard on this and in a very short time.

When Erinhue came to the part of using Agarak to shrink Meneldor her eyebrows rose in disbelief. She had seen the little dragonharp at it's best and when it was not so cooperative leading to rather unfortunate mishaps. She looked up at Meneldor.

Meneldor agreed and as she listened to the Great Eagle sing she thought if Agarak agreed it might, just might work.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:00 am

“Look what your fine song called up.” Erinhue said. “Our fine lads have returned with exactly what we need.”

Those sent out to procure a wagon had returned with an one horse, flat bed wagon they had bartered from some farmer.

Brondgast looked at it with trepidation.

“But, Erinhue, you said there would be no cage?”

“And indeed there will be none. I’ve been known to juggle with the truth from time to time, but I always keep my word.” Erinhue replied then added, “ Agarak, if you would?”

A few melodic notes created a sparkling mist that engulfed the farm wagon. The cloud disapated in moments. The wagon had been transformed into a rolling cage with formidable iron bars and impressive locks and chains.

An expression of horror settled over Brondgast’s face.

Erinhue dispelled it with a cheerfull “Not ta worry.

It’s not real, none of it. The old worm can make a mighty fine illusion when he has a mind ta do it. It is still the same wagon you saw a moment ago. The rest is all for show. I’d say it’s your job to make sure no one wants to come close enough to test it out.”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:10 am

Meneldor looked at it in shock. "I do hope you're not going to make me into a parrot!"

Brondgast looked at the illusionary cage and grumbled. "Whatever you say, Erinhue, but you owe me big." He transformed into a bear and climbed onto the cart. One thing he wouldn't part with is the Stone of Bar around his neck. That would not leave him as long as he lived. But he would make sure none got near enough to test those bars or see it. Or anybody else, including Erinhue.

He paced around and growled big.

Meneldor and Brondgast talked together in a low voice, then turned back to Erinhue. "Do not get us wrong." said the Great Eagle. "We treasure our status as Mithril Knights and remember our oath each day. That is why we do these things, however distasteful they be at the moment. They serve a greater purpose. I know you do not mean any dishonor to either of us."

Brondgast growled, and the Stone translated for him. "Indeed you do not, nor would you dare. We do this thing because we trust you." The look in the bear's eyes communicated what he didn't say. :And do not let us down.:

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:23 pm

A little while down the road…

The journey East had so far gone better than they had imagined. Erinhue’s ruse of playing themselves off as a traveling circus troupe had been a great success, as the Easterners had showed themselves to be a people whose enthusiasm for entertainment had not been dimmed by successive wars and famine. No, indeed, they seemed eager to welcome anyone and anything that diverted their attention from their hum-drum existence. Djaleh got quite good at his knife throwing routine, so good in fact that he even used Telta sometimes as an elven target. She, in turn, used him during her routine as she wowed the audience with her bow skills. Erinhue, of course, would then bring down the house with one of his adventurous and epic tales.

Meneldor and Brondgast fared less well than the others. They had to endure the constant teasing and poking through the bars that came with being a side-show. Though Akara attempted as best she could to make sure the Bear was not harmed during the live shows, she could not stop the rain of cups and food that occasionally were thrown by the jubilant crowds.

However, though the Knights were certainly welcomed with open arms as entertainers, they did not find their hosts to have loose tongues when it came to local gossip. The people had been conditioned to be wary of questions, even innocent ones, and the Knights discovered little of any worth, which grew more and more frustrating the further they traveled. The only times they seemed close to the truth was at the end of the bard’s riotous act, when the taps were flowing and the people’s spirits were high with drink.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 am

"I can do a flyby over Mordor before we make our earnest journey East," said Meneldor. He had been humiliated by the carnival, and would not do that again. But then, the ground shook and the distant mountain Mount Doom exploded in new fury. "Or not. I will have to stay away from there, I don't want singed feathers." Looks like it didn't need any Dark Lord to erupt, it did fine on its own.

Brondgast looked mesmerised at the volcano's fury. He had never seen anything like it, and it was a bad omen for him. What would this mean as he continued East in their search for Tempest?

Meneldor had told them of a nightmare he had last night. Galadriel had said what would happen to the elves who stayed behind and did not take the Last Ship. They would dwindle and diminish, forgetting and being forgotten. He had seen some of them.

Some were reduced to the level that they were baking cookies in a hollow tree.

Others were even more confused, they seemed to think they were dwarves. They were busy making toys for a fat man in a red suit. They thought the important things were wiggling their ears, saying 'he he' 'ho ho,' and things like that. The song they sang grated upon the Eagle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHRA3k5-_U

One even threw a flightless bird off a sleigh to his death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnuGi0P6-qc

And what in blazes was a DENTIST????

He would plead with any elf he saw to avoid that horrible fate and take the quickest ship West and remember their heritage after this terrible vision!

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:32 am

The horses danced nervously in place, unnerved by the distant booming and the ground trembling beneath their feet, but the company remained transfixed by the exploding might ruined Mount Doom.

Erinhue gazed at the spectacle along with the others, his thoughts drifting forward and back. Unlike some of the others, he had thoroughly enjoyed their charade. He was, after all, a bard in his heart and soul. Warrior was something Fate had chosen for him.

In spite of all their efforts to gather information, very little had been forth coming. The suspicious village crowds were always more amenable after a full round of Morgan’s Joy when most were deep into their cups. Erinhue struck up conversations with the looser tongues among them, but even the properties of MythWeaver, Air Ring of The Wordsmith, brought him little more than rumor and speculation.

What little he had learned, disturbed him. There was more behind the reticence of the people than just a healthy suspicion of strangers. These people were terrified and that fear kept their lips sealed.

There were rumors of mysterious doings in the East and fanciful speculation that The Dark One had returned. Erinhue dismissed that last out of hand. Sauron was utterly vanquished, but there were still many of his powerful followers left behind. Any and all of them would be looking to carve out territory of their own to continue the evil designs of their one time master.

There was also talk of some fallen High One and whispers of the unspoken punishment dealt out to them. The first time Erinhue heard that bit of news an uncomfortable prickle ran down his spine. A deep feeling of foreboding grew within him with every variation of that rumor picked up in their travels. His efforts had picked up one more bit of oft repeated information, the name of a town.

“A marvelous sight indeed to behold”, Erinhue said as he pulled his eyes away from the sight of the distant volcano. “ I’m sure it’s worthy of a song but we've no time to write it. It’s time we were moving on.

“But ‘Hue, “ Teta asked, “where are we going?”

“That a way!” Erinue cried with an expansive wave of his arm in a generally eastern direction.

“And what makes you so sure?” Telta smiled at his characteristic confidence.

“How?” Erinhue flashed her back a mischievous version of his star bright grin. “Why, Telta, darlin’ a little dragon told me.”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:39 pm

A little dragon told me. Brondgast fingered the Stone of Bar that was around his neck, the Dragon Stone that had claimed him as the twelfth Dragon Warrior. He knew of Agarak, and that strange dragon that was connected to the magical harp, and wondered if they were related.

And what he had heard, as he joined Erinhue had disturbed him as well, as much as the eruption of Mount Doom before them. He wondered what he had gotten into. But he would go forward and solve it or die in the attempt.

Meneldor wondered about the rumors of a High One who fell. Who could that be? "Should we go to Radagast first? Maybe he would have some insight on what faces us."

Almost on cue, a thrush flew with a message in its claws. It dropped the letter in the lap of Erinhue. It bore the seal of Radagast. The Brown Wizard seemed to know just when he was needed. The thrush flew away as if the Nazgul had come back to life and were pursuing him.

"What does it say, Erinhue?" said Brondgast.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm

This search for information was at least on her part less than successful even though she had a run in with one villager in particular who was more than willing to part with important information he claimed to have in exchange for a "fair trade".

He had grabbed her hand with force and pulled her toward him. He whispered exactly what it was he wanted. The man had he not been drunk would have noticed the the warning she shot at him her eyes flashing in anger and disgust.
The man tried to press his luck thinking he had the advantage only to find himself face down on the table his arm twisted painfully behind his back a knife to his throat, a drop of blood trickled down his greasy neck. Her actions were so quick he had no time to react even if he had been sober.

None had noticed the commotion in the corner nor paid them any mind as she leaned in as close as she dared and spoke quietly and clearly so he would understand.

"Do you have anything to say?"

The frightened man shook his head carefully feeling the bite of the knife at his throat. She pressed a little harder the blade drawing another drop of blood. The man trembled.

Telta spoke once more an edge to her voice not unlike the blade at his throat.

"Do not take liberties where none are given. And do not do this again." He shook his head.

The elf let him go and he ran as fast as he could which was pretty fast indeed considering his ample girth and wobbly legs.

“A marvelous sight indeed to behold”

Erinhue's voice brought her back from where her thoughts had been.

“ I’m sure it’s worthy of a song but we've no time to write it. It’s time we were moving on.

"But ‘Hue, where are we going?”

“That a way!”

“And what makes you so sure?”

“How? Why, Telta, darlin’ a little dragon told me.”

Telta laughed at Hue's expression and a little of the tension eased from her. She had seen Agarak in action on an occasion or two and although the little dragon harp was stubborn and unpredictable she did trust that it would not betray Erinhue.

She looked around at the others who had been watching her reaction to Erinhue's words. The elf cleared her throat the laughter gone. When she spoke it was with a more serious tone though the smile threatened to return full force.

"That a way it is then Hue."
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Erinhue broke the seal of the Brown Wizard and opened the tightly wrapped scroll of parchment paper. Ignoring Brondgast’s inquiry, the bard read over the thin scrawl.

There was a lot of the same rumor and guesswork they had picked up along the trail but there were some nuggets of new information. There was town and a name that should be investigated. There was also news that an old adversary, the Knights of the Sillmarill were behind a gathering of power in the Eastern lands.

Radagast ended with a very cryptic message meant for them all but it struck a particular chord with the bard. “Beware the power within that can be turned from without.” Erinhue had no doubt that the wizard was speaking in reference to his alter ego. He took the warning as a confirmation that leaving Clarion in Dol Amroth had been a prudent decision. The Bard had gained more than a measure of control over The Berserker but Erinhue had no desire to put that control to any uncalled for testing.

He handed the piece of parchment over to Brondgast and turned his mount in an easterly direction, towards the border town of Kuw.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:30 pm

Unlike Mir, a thriving fiefdom at the juncture of two major trade routes, the town of Kuw was set off from the main flow of traffic, in a valley protected by knarled stone hills. Resembling more of a hide out than a town Kuw offered a prime location for its less than upstanding citizenry.

To enter Kuw in their Mithril Knight tunics was to invite a speedy termination to their. The outlaw population would trust none but their own and reputation carried a certain worth and standing among them. Camped several miles away from the town, Erinhue explained this to the others as a sort of preamble to his latest plan.

“To just ride into town hoping to ferret out some news as we have been doing with our circus troupe pose has taken us as far as it can. That sort of thing will not serve to endear us to this crowd any more than it has done. In fact I think it would do us even less good so it is time to switch tactics.”

A few groans from the company did not put a damper on the bard’s enthusiasm.

“We need to be a different sort of band and in an outlaw town it seems to me…”

“’Hue,” Telta interrupted “ You cannot mean…”

“Ah but darlin’ that is exactly what I do mean.” Erinhue smiled one of his starbright grins. “we need a reputation same as before only different this time. I been thinking that a raid on Mir might just do the trick.”

erinhue

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)