The Mithril Knights: Shadows in the East

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: The Mithril Knights: Shadows in the East

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:38 am

Djaleh and Akara had been the other two Knights in the Emerald Serpent with Erinhue, though they had been in different quadrants of the inn when the bard was approached first by Syfa. They had not failed to notice the interaction, though it was hidden from most other eyes there. When he had drained his glass and proceeded to the third floor, Djaleh had followed him, seen which room he entered, and then signaled Akara to hold her position in the common room. Djaleh himself stood watch in the hallway leading to the room, his ears and eyes alert to any changes. Only once did he edge closer to the room at the sound of raised voices. He knew Erinhue could handle things fine by himself, and he did not want to interfere if information was being passed between the bard and the mysterious Easterling.

Akara was equally watchful in the common room, and she had not failed to notice that there had been several glances her way that lingered for longer than she would have liked. In fact, there were a few men in particular that had seemed openly startled at first seeing her, though she had tried to conceal her features beneath the hood of her cloak. They recognized her. Well, not exactly her. She had never been to Kuw before.

The truth dawned on her slowly, but with devastating clarity. They thought she was Tempest, and from their facial expressions, she knew they thought they were looking at a ghost.

So, that was it. Her mother was dead, and they had killed her. All this time, all this traveling and trouble. All these secrets and lies. And she was dead.

Akara would never get the answers she sought if Tempest was gone. She felt the hot blood rush into her face and her heart began to beat angrily in her chest. Her fingers found her dagger and she felt for the short sword by her side. Her only regret was that she had not brought her bow into the inn----she could kill more of them with that before they even reached her.

She might not get her answers, but she would get her revenge.

However, at that exact moment there was the sound of heavy boots on the stairs behind her. She turned to see Erinhue dragging Syfa by the throat out of the side entrance of the inn, Djaleh trailing behind him with a shrug in her direction. Akara's hand relaxed on the dagger. Her revenge would have to wait for another time.

And next time, she would make sure she had her bow.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:25 am

Brondgast was still buying drinks for the patrons and wringing information from them about news of Tempest or other things that they needed. Those he was interviewing were pretty inebriated, and probably would not remember it afterwards. He almost wished Erinhue was there to regale them with another round of "Morgan's Ale," but he had disappeared with somebody some time ago.

His ears perked up with shouting from upstairs, and guessed that something had happened to stir Erinhue. He hoped he wouldn't appear with that blasted sword, slaughtering everybody in the Emerald Serpent. But then, he saw two things. The murderous look in Akara's eyes, then Erinhue appearing, shoving the one he had gone with out a side door. Something was happening, and he decided he was needed. He got up, nodding to the rest, and headed out, still in his grey cloak, and he followed Erinhue and Syfa out the door.

From up in the air, Meneldor also saw what was happening. Erinhue looked fit to be tied, Oh, no. he thought. We're about to see the Berserker in action, sooner than anybody wanted. He followed from above, staying above. He looked like he was headed out, towards that desolate spot he had espied earlier. So, he headed there, landed and waited.

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Telta glanced at the items laid out before them ranging from the smallest of knives to the most elegant swords each placed strategically for effect to catch a perspective buyer.

Paul was drawn in by the display of some of the finest weapons she had seen a long time.

"Come closer. Take a better look." he said as he gestured for them to do just that.

The young KiT moved in but Telta remained where she was glancing over the crowd of people until she spotted what she was after.

There down several stalls on the opposite side of where they were a group of five men stood talking amongst themselves. The same ones who had been watching them in the tavern. A few shielded glances aimed at Hue, their table and a quiet exit leaving behind full mugs and untouched food left little doubt that they were up to something.

As she watched some sort of argument was taking place when one of them shoved another knocking him to the ground. The man went to draw his knife and was stopped by the sword held to his throat.

"What do you think of these Tel.....two.?" Paul had managed to correct himself from nearly speaking her name before the old proprietor noticed.
He pointed to a pair of daggers. "Second from the left." he added trying to get her attention.

Something was up he was sure of that. She hadn't said a word since they left the tavern and she seemed to be looking for something.

"An excellent choice lad." The old proprietor held one up. "These are well balanced with blades sharp enough to cut stone." He smiled showing a great amount of missing teeth. "I guarantee you"ll find none better anywhere."
"Only..."

"These are the best!" another seller called from directly across from them.

"Come! See for yourselves. My weapons are made by the finest craftsmen."

"Don't listen to him! Poor quality is his trade. Rusty, dull blades that are useless."

The other proprietor came out from behind his stall waving his fist in the air angrily.

"You lying, thieving dog!" he screamed. "How dare you compare the finest weapons around to that...that..." He was at a loss for words his anger fueled by the insults aimed at him and his wares.

"Garbage!" he finally managed to spit out. "It's all useless garbage! No one in their right mind would buy your..." here he sneered at the old proprietor. "...weapons."

The arguing men were drawing unwanted attention. A small crowd was gathering to see what the commotion was about.
Paul tried to leave but the two men each grabbed an arm determined to sell him their daggers.

Fighting over the poor KiT also drew the attention of the five she had been watching and they were heading in their direction.

"Here just feel this. The weight, the balance the craftsmanship. Absolutely magnificent." The two men spoke almost in unison as if rehearsed. He had no choice as a dagger was placed in each hand.

Trouble was headed their way as Telta watched the five men pushing aside the lingering people trying to get through. She dropped a small bag of coins into the old proprietor's hand and as let go of Paul to get a better grip on it the other seller tried to snatch the payment from him.

Newly released from their grip Telta grabbed his arm and pulled him away their task made easier when they heard two cries of dismay followed by the sudden rush of people eager to join the frenzy. They did no stop to watch the insanity behind them as they fled the scene.

She pulled him behind some old barrels piled high behind the tavern when she heard footsteps behind them. Grabbing her knives she held them waiting for what may come next.

"What.." he began in a whisper but a finger to her lips told Paul to be silent as they ducked down behind those barrels for cover. He held the daggers in ready unsure of why but following her actions.

A few moments passed and the chasing men ran past them. When she could no longer hear them she motioned for Paul to follow. Making their way carefully along the tavern wall they peered around the corner of the building to find it was clear. There was no sign of the men. They had continued on searching for the elusive pair.

She looked at Paul standing there mismatched daggers in hand a look of confusion clearly seen on his face and waiting for an explanation she guessed.

"How did you know?"

"Did you not recognize them?"

"Recognize them?"

"Yes from the Emerald Serpent earlier."

He thought a moment. "Five men in the corner. Hooded cloaks."

Telta nodded. "The same."

"That's why you wanted to leave." He looked at his newly acquired weapons a little bewildered. "Not exactly what I was expecting."

Telta laughed gently feeling the tension leave her but still aware of her surroundings.

"Those two were not lying when they said they had the finest weapons."

Paul's face brightened and he held the daggers his daggers firmly reassured by the elf's words.

They had just turned to leave when the sudden appearance of an angry Hue and some stranger in his grasp exiting the tavern.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:16 am

To see a man hustled down the streets of Kuw was so common a thing that no one turned to look at the small procession making its way out of town. Syfa, unwilling but cooperative, was being shoved, kicked and driven towards the edges of town by a tall bearded man wearing a deep hood and cursing in a steady sub vocal murmur.

Telta and Paul fell into line, following the obviously angered bard as discretely as possible. The commotion caused by the arguing weapon merchants provided interesting cover for the Knight’s departure . By ones and twos they left town and returned to their encampment.

Meneldor, still in his guise, awaited them perched on the ground near the fire Syfa took one look at the fell beast and his cooperation came to an end. The man screamed ,dodged and tried to run back the way he had come. Erinhue snatched him by the shoulder and threw the thwarted escapee to the ground.

“You sit right there and tell them what you told me, and anything else you might have left out. You tell it fast and you tell it true or I just might let the old worm have you.”

Syfa glanced fearfully in Meneldor’s direction but Erinhue was speaking about something that would have shocked him even worse.

Erinhue pulled Tempest's notebook from the folds of his green/grey cloak and sat down. He thumbed absently through the pages as he waited to listen to Syfa's story again.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Tempest » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 pm

As Syfa divulged his tale again before the other Knights, the bard tried to make sense of what Tempest had written. He did not recognize the language at all, so he assumed that it must be coded and therefore must have a cipher. He tried to put himself in Tempest’s head for a moment and guess what she might have used. She had been traveling under her original colors here, passing herself off yet again as the Dark Lady of Mordor. He became distracted again by Syfa’s trembling explanation of her whereabouts and frowned in response to the horror crossing over the other Knights faces.

”It’s been nearly two months now,” Telta said slowly. ”And you have not seen or heard from her again?”

”Not a word, and though I did not see her thrown into the Obliviate myself, I know my sources are true. She’s dead, no matter what anyone else says,” the man insisted darkly, glancing in Erinhue’s direction.

”I saw this Mithril Mine of which he speaks. It would take about an hour’s hard ride to reach it. The area around is clearly desolate. It’s not in use, and hasn’t been for quite some time.” Meneldor affirmed.

”Then our quest is in vain.” Akara spoke up now, and the harshness of her tone added to the shock of the news. ”All we can do now is try to discover what she died for.”

”She’s not dead.” Erinhue said flatly.

”Hue. I’m as optimistic as the next Knight, but consider,” Telta replied gently.

”Yes, consider! And be warned!” Syfa’s voice rose in anxiety. ”Whatever she stumbled upon, they killed her for it. This town has many secrets, and many dangers. There is no real law here except the rule of the sword. You are better off than the lady Tempest, for she was alone among the darkness. You may discover the meaning of her death, but in the end it will not reverse what has happened.”

”Did you ever see these Red Hammer dwarves?” Djaleh asked.

”No, there haven’t been dwarves here for as long as I have lived. But the Mithril Mine was theirs.”

Erinhue, who had been again trying without much success to hold his anger in check, started up suddenly. ”The mine was made by the dwarves?”

”I don’t know which dwarves, but it was a dwarven mine long ago.”
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Meneldor forcefully put out of his mind the ribald limericks that he and Erinhue had exchanged after his induction into the Bard's guild. This was far too serious, but he still couldn't help smiling. He and Tempest had not been close, but he knew her to be a formidable knight. One not to rashly throw her life away.

But what was the answer to this riddle? And where was she now? Probably not at the bottom of the mine, that was certain. He drew his claws on the ground. He didn't realize his grin in his disguise was so disconcerting to Syfa, more than his initial appearance. But that was to his advantage. A fell beast that grinned was enough to cause heart failure in many.

"One thing we may need to do is visit this mine, though it has been deserted for some time. I found no sign of any nearby." he finally said.

"Then, that is where we may find some answers." said Brondgast. He knew Tempest better than Meneldor did, especially when he took the flame from Agarak that was meant for her. He knew she felt guilt over that, but he would do it again in a second.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:20 pm

"It would make sense to visit this Mine, even if there is no chance to enter it," Telta agreed, but then noticed yet again that Erinhue was not listening. Instead, he was staring fixedly at a book he held in his hands. "What are you looking at so intently, Hue?"

"It's her journal. The only written thing she left behind and I'm hoping it reveals something of what she was up to. And more importantly, who to blame. But I can't for the life of me figure out her code. Tempest's paranoia works against her again...."

"The cipher's probably something close to her--meaningful somehow. Maybe her son's name?" Djaleh offered.

"I tried that already."

"What about Dirk's name? That would have been forefront in her mind," Brondgast pointed out.

Erinhue was silent for a moment trying to see if it worked. "No, it's not Dirk." He swore loudly.

"What about something with the Mithril Knights?" Telta asked. "After all, that is why she was out here to begin with."

Paul spoke up hesitantly. "Perhaps the Oath?"

"Too many moving pieces with the Oath....but maybe..." the Bard paused as Agarak jangled a few low notes. He frowned.
Last edited by Tempest on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:43 pm

One by one the Knights recited phrases from the Oath and Erinhue tried them.

"Courage and Honor," Telta offered.

"What about 'Fury of the Moment?' That seems to describe Tempest well, and it was the name of her sword," Brondgast peered over Erinhue's shoulder to get a better look.

"No to all of those."

The Knights were silent, each puzzling it out in their own minds.

Finally, Paul gingerly spoke up. "What about Friendship and Fealty? It seems that those two were especially important to her as she traveled East."

"And a reminder of why she was here, even when she felt like turning back. It might be just that," Telta's voice quickened.

Erinhue tried it out for the last paragraph of what Tempest had written and his face suddenly unclouded like a summer sky after a rain. "That's it----I can read parts of it with that cipher. But it seems she's writing in both Westron, the Black Speech, and some sort of Eastern dialect that I don't know."

"Just focus on her last entry---we can take time to interpret the whole thing later. Concentrate on that last one," Akara, who had been silent up to this point, spoke up excitedly. "I can translate the Eastern dialect if you can do the rest."

It took the Bard and Akara several minutes to decipher the passage together, and even then there were slight gaps. But one thing came out very clearly: a name. Her last entry, with pieces yet uclear, read as follows: "They know. I can conceal myself no longer and I fear Elbren will not be warned in time. They are like a serpent with many heads, and no matter how many we may slice off, there remains another to turn and poison us. Krillen knows what I am. The mine.....not abandoned, not completely. Somehow, somewhere.....entrance where they have fled like rats in a cave. I fear their darkness will yet again spew forth.....seem to have harnessed wizard's magic. Some sort of plague....death follows them...."

They were silent as the words sank in.

The Bard took a deep breath. "Krillen. We should find this Krillen. Perhaps he is in Kuw, especially since he believes Tempest is dead. I will take Telta, Brondgast, and Paul to search for him there. Syfa knows who he is, I'm sure, and will have no difficulty pointing him out to us," Erinhue said decisively. "Akara and Djaleh will continue to translate Tempest's journal from the beginning. I'm sure it will tell us much more. The rest will stay here to guard the camp and the two translators. Our time is short; we move quickly."

"She's dead, and you'll get the rest of us killed!" Syfa protested loudly. "Krillen is not a man to be persuaded so easily."

"He hasn't met the Mithril Knights."
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:19 pm

"I hope he does resist." said Brondgast, almost growling in his human form. "I will be very persuasive."

Meneldor, meanwhile, was looking Eastward. Ah, Pallando, my friend, what have you done? Has those secret magical circles that claim you as founder surfaced again?

"Paul, this will be your first challenge." said Brondgast. "On the way there, I hope Telta will start training you with your new daggers. You will be needed with us. Keep your guard up as we go. And one more thing. Keep close to me. I've seen Erinhue in this state before. He may go into a berserker rage if anything happens that I think will happen. He's very dangerous when he becomes a Berserker, and don't go near him if it happens."

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:21 am

The night clouds were being thinned out by the dawning light of a new day. On foot the small company headed out towards the city of Kuw. This was the between time that time of day when the night owls had ceased their revels and the early birds had not yet stirred from their comfortable nests to face a brisk autumn day.

The hope of utilizing this between time as an advantage in their search fled away with the shout of a gravelly voice.

“Here are some of them at least, arrest them.”

A small group of armed men stood in the road blocking any advance.

“Blessings to you gentlemen. Arrest us? I am certain that there has been some mistake.”

Erinhue smiled his sucker smile and continues in a cheerful voice. “The only crime we might have committed is to hit a sour note or two in a song. We were…” Here the bard was impatiently interrupted.

“Don’t listen to that one’s lies. Search them and you will find all the proof you need.”

“Search?” Erinhue’s voice held a note of confusion.” There’s no need for that. If you would…”

“Search them!”

The command came from behind. Telta and Brondgast made subtle moves to stand flanking the bard. A slightly mystified Paul remained where he was and be default covered the rear position.

Erinhue turned slightly so that he could keep watch to either side. There were more men behind than in front of their position. As Erinhue made a fast count of the opposition something caught his eye.

Something flashed from the hip of the man that had initially stopped them, something that hit a vaguely familiar note in the bard’s mind. Beside him Syfa was doing his fast talking best to assure the armed and official looking men that whatever they were looking for would not be found on them.

As Erinhue’s sea grey eyes focused on the source of the reflected light, recognition came clear. That recognition turned up the heat on his already boiling anger. This man was carrying Tempest’s sword, something she would never part with under any circumstance.

The bard’s face slowly changed, his expression twisting into one of pure rage. The roaring whine in his head was climbing the scales to painful levels. He began to sweat and a crimson mist fogged his vision. For a single heart beat Erinhue’s body went rigid, then he threw back his head and bellowed,

“Clarion! To Me!”

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:34 am

Brondgast traveled beside Paul, watching Hue and Telta as they led. It was then that they were stopped by a gang of ruffians from Kuw, probably the same ones that found Tempest. He went forward, flanking Hue on the left, ready for action. He saw Tempest's sword on the one making the challenge at the same time Hue did, and felt, more than heard Hue's anger rising to a peak. He knew from experience what was about to happen, and even before his companion called for Clarion, he backed away, looking to those behind, which Paul was guarding. "BACK!" he shouted, even as he transformed into a bear. When the Berserker arose, it was wise to stay out of his way.

He rushed to Paul's side, grunting at him to be ready. With a roar, he plunged into those behind the group, attacking first. This would be Paul's first challenge, and he had confidence in his young apprentice, that he would live up to it. Thus would Tempest be avenged.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tempest » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Akara had begun to get a familiar feeling in the pit of her stomach that had slowly spread to all her faculties: dread. It had started as she and Erinhue had pieced together Tempest’s last entry and she had recognized Krillen’s name. So, it had not been a chance meeting with him those few days before in the wilderness. He must have been alerted to their presence somehow, and simply feigned concern for her.

There was no doubt in her mind that Krillen had guessed the connection between her and Tempest as soon as he had first laid eyes on the Dark Lady all those months before. The resemblance was too remarkable between them, and Krillen would have had fresh in his mind Akara’s expulsion from the tribe for being of foreign blood. He probably was amused at first when he viewed the Lady Tempest and guessed her secret. But then, why make her an enemy? From what Elbren had said, all of this would have simply reinforced Tempest’s cover as the Dark Lady of Mordor. At what point had he discovered that she was truly a Mithril Knight?

Akara had watched reluctantly as Erinhue and the others marched off back to Kuw to get answers. She wished desperately to go with them, but a part of her also knew that if they actually found Krillen, there was a good chance that he would end up telling them about her connection. That would look very bad for her, especially when the Mithril Knights were already predisposed to distrust her.

But, she HAD inadvertently betrayed them to Krillen by telling him of their final destination in Kuw. So, Krillen had gone ahead of them by several days and probably prepared for their arrival. Who knew what awaited the Knights who had just left the camp? She should have warned them. She should have told them the truth right then before they left.

But she had remained silent. Just like a coward.

”Akara? What are you thinking?” Djaleh’s voice cut through the dark mist of her mind. ”You’ve drifted off again. We need to focus on deciphering these other entries.”

”Yes, of course.” She answered stiffly, glancing once more towards Kuw before turning yet again to the pages before her.

Her mother’s last words. Hopefully there would be something in them to help her even now.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Keen eyes swept over the men gathered before them armed and confident in their numbers against the few of them to "arrest" them.

Telta watched as those who she guessed passed as some sort of authority in the town, stood anxiously by for word to move in.

Moving slightly but effectively she placed herself to Erinhue's right just behind Syla ready for the inevitable fight and fight there would be it was only a matter of who would make the first move as they tried to search them.

Syfa continued to talk but she was not listening to him her attention focused ahead.

Then something changed. She reached for her knives as a feeling washed over her one she had not felt ...she glanced quickly at Hue.

"To Me Clarion!"

Three words, just three words and Telta found herself taking a step back. Knives drawn senses heightened acutely aware of all around her.
Brondgast to the left, Paul behind, their enemy before them all of this she was aware of.

But none of that mattered as much as Hue right now. She knew what was coming as did some but the others were not prepared for what was about to happen.

Oblivious to the dangerous change in Hue the men pushed forward at the sound of his voice weapons drawn ready to take down their quarry while some were already engaged with Brondgast in bear form.

She held her ground knives raised waiting for the first strike knowing it could come not just from their adversaries.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:37 am

“Clarion! To Me!”

The words had barely left Erinhue’s curled back lips when the rune carved broadsword ,known as Clarion, suddenly materialized, hovering in the air in front of its wielder. In one smooth motion, Erinhue grasped the sword and in less than an eye blink, he smashed the pommel downward, cracking the skull of the unfortunate man who leapt forward to attack.

Howling like a thing insane, The Berserker spun around as Clarion screamed for blood in his head. Howling still, sword raised, he charged into the main body of the ambush. Behind him, two men clutched their midsections trying desperately to close the gaping slashes spilling their guts to the thirsty ground.

erinhue

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Djaleh and Akara were closed to finishing the second entry when a scream carried on the wind swept in from the direction of Kuw. Akara felt every hair on her head rise in response while at the same time a cold horror seeped deep into her blood. She had never heard the Berserker, but she knew in her bones that this cry meant death.

The Great Eagle immediately launched himself into the air, shooting towards the town like an arrow while the rest of those at the camp stood in frozen dread.

"What is it?" Akara finally sputtered.

"It is him. It is the bard, gone mad," was the only response she got.

"What does it mean?"

"Nothing good for our enemies, or our friends."

"He is possessed?" Akara had heard of such things only in tall tales told around the fires at night, to scare children. Never had she imagined that there could be truth in them. "Wait, do you mean he cannot tell friend from foe?"

The other Knights did not seem inclined to answer her questions, as all of them had, by this point, strapped on their own weapons and were moving in the direction of the sound.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Krillen had not survived this long in a dangerous land by being reckless. He had seen his fair share of treachery and fear, but nothing had quite prepared him for the sight of Erinhue transformed into some sort of fiend, or of an actual Beorning, of which he had only heard legends. It became clear to him rather quickly that the tide had turned against him and his men, but at the same time, he felt a strange warmth coursing through his arm as he looked down at the sword he held in his hand. He did not know that Tempest's sword held a power of its own, and that when used in the anger of battle, it gave its wielder an extra measure of speed and strength. So it was that Krillen found himself several paces ahead of Erinhue, close enough to see the rampage on his own men and witness their agonizing deaths without falling under the blade himself.

But to the credit of Krillen's men, they did not give into death so lightly. No, many things may be said about the men of the East, but the harshness of their land and brutal treatment of their rulers over their long history had made them hard and wiry, with fire in their veins. If it was death they faced, they would not cower, but meet it head on.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 pm

As Meneldor lauched into the air, he dropped the illusion of a fell beast, and took on his own appearance of a Great Eagle, glad to have dropped such an evil visage. He flew with all speed to Kuw, the wind whistling through his feathers.

He looked down to a terrible sight, the Berserker running amuck among a horde of Easterlings, with the Beorning on the other side, decimating those on the other side, cutting a bloody swath among them.

He saw one apart from the carnage. He dived toward the man, who he saw was holding Tempest's sword. He picked him up in his talons, and the sword clanked down on the ground.

"Villain," said the Eagle, "I give you a chance to tell me what you know." as he soared high into the air, so high those below looked like mere ants.

"Not on your life." said Krillen.

Meneldor opened his talons and dropped the man. He paused, then dived and caught him in midair before he hit the ground, and flew upwards again. "The next time, I may not catch you. It would be wise to reconsider your words this time."

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:29 pm

(OOC: go to the bathroom first, this might take a while)

There was not actual sound that his ears could detect, but still the air felt heavy and made the rustling of his clothing loud in his own ears and everything else seem muted. A blanket of oppression that held all spellbound had descended the moment Erinhue has screamed for his sword. The words had come from Erinhue's throat but they had not sounded like him. Now the sword leapt into existence. Paul inhaled sharply, so surprised to suddenly behold the near mythic blade, and tasted copper, like the very atmosphere were charged with sorcery. His teeth felt fuzzy and his hands trembled.

Everybody seemed to recover at once. One of the Easterlings darted forward and the Bard caved in his skull with pommel of the impossible sword. A moment later he was among the enemy, dealing damage and death with every swing.

Paul still felt shaky and weak. Telta saw it and grabbed his shirt by the shoulder and shook him. "Come to your senses quickly Paul!" She hissed as the enemy closed in, "I know it is awesome to behold, but you must look to yourself and your allies now."

"Just stay out of his way," Brondgast reiterated. The great bear did not wait for a reply, or for their enemies to reach them. Instead he charged headlong, teeth snapping into the highest concentration he could see.

Paul did not rush to meet the foe, but instead hung back, uncertain of what role he should play in the battle. The decision was made for him when two Easterlings, neither keen to test their metal against berserking bear or bard, charged at him instead. A thrill of fear shot through him. This was it. This was the moment.

The anticipation seemed to make time slow as his hyper-observant brain flung itself to new heights. The weight of the daggers in his hands felt unnatural again. He could tell the men coming at him knew how to use their swords and meant for him to come to fatal harm. He could already see how each man intended to strike at him first, but his brain refused to present solutions to all these problems. Despite being aware, it was if his brain was stalled; he felt frozen.

Telta suddenly swung into his field of view, daggers out and flashing. The two men paused and adjusted their stances.

*WACK!*

Telta spun and caught Paul on the cheek with an openhanded slap that made him see stars, "You can do this! Stop thinking, and do it!" With that, she was gone, slipping away to another part of the battle.

Miraculously, Paul found his brain functioning again. His hands came up, gripping his daggers in a defensive stance. The last vestiges of the oppressive atmosphere seemed to clear from his mind. Paul took a step toward the two men, grim resolution on his face.

The two Easterlings obligingly rushed him. Paul let instinct take over. One man thrust for his midsection and Paul neatly twisted out of the way of the blade as he had practiced moving past branches in the woods. The other had already initiated a head severing chop from the right which Paul ducked at the same moment, spinning around completely and bring both daggers down over his head like a sledgehammer. One lost his sword to the blow while the other danced back. The unarmed man dove for his sword and Paul obligingly kicked him in the face. With a muffled cry the man collapsed on the ground.

His attack partner growled an oath and charged in again. Paul deflected the slice from the side and brought his left dagger around to finish the easterling off... and froze. The tip of his dagger made a dimple in the side of the man's neck. A drop of blood began to ooze as his assailant flinched. The fire burning in Paul's eyes dimmed. In an instant Paul was filled with conflict.

These men were not evil, where they? Weren't they just men doing their jobs, following orders? Some of them even wore what passed for the regalia of law officers in these parts. Paul doubted there was a man here who did not deserve to serve time in a dungeon, and Paul had little question as to wether the man on the end of his blade would kill him, should he be given the opportunity. But he was a Mithril Knight! Well, a knight in training, but should not his own actions be held to a higher moral standard. Did he have the right to kill these men indiscriminately, just because they had been commanded to kill him? He had joined the Mithril knights because he believed they espoused truth, justice, benevolence, honor. He let his eyes travel over the battle field.

The easterling took his opportunity and slashed at his ribs. While Paul's mind was in conflict his brain was in the present and responded almost in spite of him. He blocked the strike and, flipping his other dagger around in his hand, clubbed the man in the side of the head. He went down without a sound as Paul turned to survey the field again.

The dead and dying lay scattered upon the ground. The Easterlings fought tenaciously, even though they must of been aware already of the inevitable outcome. Brondgast tore the throat from one man and Paul looked away only to be met with the gruesome carnage that Erinhue left in his wake. He had always been told war was a terrible, awful thing, but he had not until that moment been faced with the sheer horror and stomach emptying viscousness of it. He knew somewhere there were enemies of good, so evil, to the man, that they deserved unmerciful death. He had heard of the Red Dwarves and others who deserved immediate death. Orcs, who were born evil, serving their dark masters, but these were not those.

A man turned to flee from the Berserker and had his spine laid open instead of his bowels. Another lost his head. Paul had to close his eyes rather than watch it tumble nose over scalp across the blood stained dirt. How could this be happening? Paul wished more than anything for Erinhue to come and help him make sense of his tragic contradiction, but morbid fate had it so that, in this moment, Erinhue himself was the source of that contradiction. Erinhue: their leader, so wise, so joyful, and seemingly calm. Now a Berserker. Blood stained his pants to the knees and arms to the elbow. His eyes burned with a malice that made their enemies seem friendly by comparison.

"Run you fools!" Paul heard his own voice crying out before he realized he had decided to intervene. He sprinted toward Erihue now, yelling for the men who were fighting him to disengage and retreat. Nobody heard him, or if they did where to focused on staying alive and taking down the demon before them that they gave no sign.

Paul was at a loss for what to do when suddenly one easterling who had been trying to get at Telta broke off his attack and ran to help his comrades facing Erinhue. Paul watched him run, and knew his fate. Again he reacted almost before he had made the decision. His hand flung out and one of his daggers left it. "With this wound I save your life," Paul muttered grimly. The man screamed and fell, Paul's dagger buried in his leg just above his knee.

Paul was right behind the dagger. The man had only begun to inhale when Paul's fist cannoned into the side of his head and he went limp. Pausing only to retrieve the dagger, Paul sprinted on into the blood bath that centered around the berserking bard. Paul jerked on the shoulder of one man and laid him out neatly with an uppercut. He slammed his dagger hilts into the sides of two more heads and the men attached to them also went down. Someone realized that they were being assaulted from the rear and turned only to get a boot to the groin, followed by a knee to the face.

"Five lives spared," Paul whispered under his breath. A punch to the gut and another kneed face, "Six."

He waded into the fray, the conviction of his mission keeping his fear at bay, the ferocity of Erinhue-out-of-his-mind holding the attention of those he was trying to save. Little by little as Paul thinned the back ranks and Erinhue decimated the front, the easterlings began to fully understand that there was no victory to be had today, and Krillen was nowhere to be seen. Paul dropped two more unsuspecting men and Erinhue dismembered the largest and boldest of the lot. The rest broke and ran from before the harbinger of death. Paul was nearly trampled in their haste to flee.

He breathed a sigh of relief watching them run. The sigh turned into a "Woosh!" as the air was bashed from his lungs. He flew ten feet before crashing to the ground. He managed to role to his feet facing the opposite direction in time to see Erinhue bearing down on him. Paul's back ached where either pommel or shoulder had impacted him, and he was gasping for air. His daggers were gone. He fell to his hands and knees, suddenly realizing that this was to be the moment his life ended. His fingers brushed the handle of a sword discarded on the battle field and instinctively he closed them on it.

Sudden warmth flood up through his arm. Now came Erinhue, unreasoning rage blinding his eyes. Now the great sword flashed downward fast, and hard enough to cleave the very earth. Paul lunged to the side. He marveled at his own dexterity in that moment. The air buffeted him and whined as the blade of Clarion flashed passed. If the Berserker where surprised he did not show him.

Clarion was ripped from the ground and swung again, this time at waist height. Paul leapt into the air, and again was astonished at the speed of his movements. Erinhue's red stained blade hissed by under him, but the Berserker was skilled. With superhuman speed he changed the angle of the slice, aiming to cleave Paul in half from foot to head. Paul brought his found sword down to block the blow. His arms moved like lightening and met the blade Clarion. There was a mighty crash and Paul felt himself propelled upwards and away. He executed a backflip and landed, sword held out before him at the ready.

The Berserker looked confused for a moment. It did not seem possible that this barely-a-man before him should still be alive.

"Erinhue!" Paul yelled, "Come to your senses!" He backed away and Erinhue followed him, sword weaving back and forth, but not yet striking. Suddenly the apparition that was Erinhue grinned a most evil mirthless smile. Paul was struck at how similar it looked to Erihue's so welcoming star-bright grin, and yet how alien. At the same moment his back struck a tree, and the Berserker lunged.

Paul dodged to the left and brought the sword up at and angle, bracing it with his other arm. Again a great clash and Clarion glanced up, embedding itself into the thick tree trunk. Erinhue's fist shot out to catch him in the chest. Paul braced his sword against Erinhue's blade, stuck in the trunk, trying to prevent him from tugging it out, while he caught Erinhue's fist with his left hand. The impact made his arm bones shudder, but somehow he managed to arrest the punch.

The Berserker's eyes widened again in shock. How was such a thing possible? He shoved with his fist but met an equal force pushing back so that neither hand or arm moved.

Paul concentrated all of his might into keeping hold of that fist. He summoned all his strength and discovered that he had more to summon than ever before. The stalemate lasted moment more. Erinhue tried to jerk his hand back but Paul held it steady. The Berserker let out a howl of rage and wrenched his sword from the tree with his other arm. The sudden ferocity threw Paul of balance and wrenched the borrowed sword from his grasp. Instantly the warmth that Paul had grown accustomed to faded. Erinhue planted a boot in his stomach and Paul crumpled to the ground. He looked up in time to see an expression of triumph on Erinhue's face before Clarion began to descend.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby erinhue » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Erinhue found himself behind the mahogany bar on a busy night at the Luck Fortune. It seemed so natural he should be there that he did not question it at all for a few minutes.

"I cannot be here." Erinhue said firmly and willed himself back to the road to Kuw.

The crowd, the music and the memory of the Lucky Fortune vanished, replaced by the sights and sounds of a fierce battle. The bard realized that The Berserker was loose on the field.

Knowing his companions had to be near by, Erinhue struggled to exercise his new found measure of control over The Berserker's actions. Two men, no, three were already dead at his feet but he did manage to stop any further forward motion. He did not want this Krillen killed.

Then he saw it again.

Tempest's sword being held by a stranger's hand.

Clarion screamed for the man's head. Erinhue's own anger surged. As the runed sword's blood thirsty whine and The Berserker's enraged bellow faded into a foggy distance, Erinhue once again was standing behind the bar in the Lucky Fortune's tap room.

"This can't happen!"

His distressed shout caused a momentary pause in the buzz of conversation. Aerin came behind the bar and put her hand on his elbow. Her clear water eyes held concern for her love.

Aerin.

The very sight of her was a blade twisted in his heart. The very last sight of her was on a ship sailing into the West, yet here she was. Erinhue stared at her for a long moment, long enough for her concern to transform to amused confusion.
Erinhue smiled at the love of his life and reached out to brush aside her wheat gold hair and touch her cheek.

The motion was halted by a single warning note, sounded from Agarak's padded niche above and behind the mahogany bar.

With that note, the tap room was gone. Aerin was gone. The battle field came clear around him. To his horror, Erinhue realized that Paul was lying on the ground in front of him, lying beneath the rapidly descending point of Clarion's blade.

There was no time. No time to try and gain control of The Berserker's actions. Erinhue concentrated all his thought, strength and energy to getting control over his left hand.

Struggling with the sword's possessing spirit, the bard was able to jerk that left hand to the side, just enough to missdirect the stroke and send the greedy blade point into the ground just beneath Paul's outstretched arm instead of into his chest.

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Brondgast was busy at the rearguard, going through the horde that surrounded the Knights, cutting off their retreat. After the first charge, he wasted little time on biting.He grabbed several in his deadly embrace and crushed them, then went through bat-bat-bat with his paws, his claws going like fatal scythes through wheat. But he saw his apprentice out of the corner of his eye, in harms way where he shouldn't be, in the path of the Berserker.

He smelled the rage which drove Erinhue to insane levels and also sensed the conflict as his friend tried to exercise the control that he had taught Erinhue earlier. But he needed to get Paul out of there. He saw Clarion barely missing Paul, and rushed at top speed towards him. He shouldered the berserk Erinhue out of the way, and picked up Paul in his paws. His berserker rage was different than the Berserker that possessed Erinhue, in that he knew a friend from an enemy. His berserker ways were driven and powered by love, like a mother bear who was fearless before foes yet was no danger to her own cubs.

Paul had the presence of mind to grab Tempest's sword as Brondgast carried him away from the Berserker and set him down in the midst of the road. His growl was translated by the Stone of Bar to mean "Don't be foolish. I told you to stay away from him. Telta alone has the skill to deal with the Berserker, and you should let her deal with him when it is time."

He saw a shadow of a man dropping from above, then the whoosh of an Eagle's flight as Meneldor caught Krillen and soared back upwards, trying to convince Krillen of the wisdom of talking. He ran back into the fray, turning his attention to the Easterlings, who were not giving up without a fight, and the bear was obliging them.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:03 am

Telta kept a short distance behind Hue just far enough to keep out of the reach of Clarion. She knew what would happen should Hue in this state turn back. She had witnessed it before and had nearly lost a friend. Telta did not fear for her life though she knew even her own strength was no match for the berserkers.

The elf had left Paul to his own means and the last she saw of him he was at least defending himself. She herself left behind three men wounded and bleeding their wounds not fatal but they would not be raising their swords again to fight this day.

But as her path cleared she glanced quickly around only to find the young KiT had by some inexplicable reason placed himself directly in Hue's path.

Telta shook her head even as she made her way towards him. He had been warned to stay out of Hue's way and here he was confronting him. Was he daft?

Two men broke off and came at her. Swords raised anger mixed with fear clearly showing on their faces put there no doubt by what they had seen the berserker do to their companions but determined to carry on.

The two were young and so alike they could be brothers. Looking to avenge their deaths they spotted her alone and thought to take this target down.

She turned to meet them face on her knives glistening with blood. There was a moment of hesitation when they saw she was a female and slowed their approach looking at each other wondering if this was right.

That instant of hesitation was their undoing as they found themselves suddenly on their backs, swords lost looking up at the face of the woman they were going to bring down. Eyes widened when they realized she was no mere woman but an elf whose deadly blades dug into their throats.

They dared not move the pressure of the blades increasing sure that their deaths were imminent.

Telta stood knives lifted from their targets.

"Go and do not come back." she said harshly her knives held threateningly at each man.

Rubbing their throats and nodding their heads they fled swords forgotten hardly believing their good fortune.

Telta spun around in time to see Brondgast carry Paul away from danger but that was not the end of it while Hue remained in berserker form.

He needed to be stopped and she knew only one way to do it...
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 am

As the other Knights had strapped on their weapons and made their way towards Kuw to aid their fellow Knights, Akara had no desire to join them. Whatever demon was making that awful sound, she knew better than to get in its way. So it was that she soon she found herself totally alone in the deserted camp still holding Tempest’s journal in her hand. As she absentmindedly scanned the last few entries that Djaleh and she had translated, the words finally sunk in. She read them again. Then again to make sure.

She felt both anger and dread fighting within her heart. This was most likely the last thing her mother had thought and done. For this, she had been thrown into the Obliviate and suffered a terrible death. Akara had wanted answers to different questions than this journal asked. But Tempest had been following a lead that directly affected Akara’s world: a strange plague. Had not her own tribe faced a similar plague only eleven months ago? Had this not been the reason that her adopted mother had perished, as well as almost half her tribe? Had this plague only been a beginning, a weapon used against them, and others in their region, as a sort of first test for whatever these Red Dwarves and their masters were planning?

Had not the East suffered enough already?

The words of Tempest’s second-to-last entry stood out clearly: As from my previous entries, I have explored the southern area, as well as the northern and western with no success. There remains only the eastern area, and I feel confident that there may be a way found there, for a small stream fills a dead swamp. The water must be coming from somewhere nearby, from somewhere underground. There is no sign from above---the place is a wasteland. But still, I am convinced. Regardless, I must send word to Elbren.

Well, obviously Tempest had never sent any word to Elbren, which probably meant she had also never been able to explore this area east of the abandoned mine. Akara made up her own mind quickly and gathered together her things, as well as some supplies from those left by the others. She also slid Tempest’s journal into her pack.

Let them fight their own battles. She was done with the Mithril Knights.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 am

With Paul out of Hue's reach and Brondgast dealing with those who still had the courage to fight the berserker, keeping them occupied this was the time to move while Hue was still distracted by his retreating objective.

She looked down at her bloodied knives knowing they would be less than effective against Hue and his berseker strength and coupled with Clarion she would not last long.

Wiping them as best she could on her tunic she replaced them on her back where they rested snugly in their scabbards.

Reaching down she drew forth her own sword that had until now remained inactive it's deadly sharp edge and sleek blade an attestation to the quality of it's elven craftsmanship.

Telta took a deep breath and let it out slowly looking at Hue. She could not help but think of him as friend even now as the berserker. knowing that he would without hesitation kill her too.

Yet there was a nagging thought deep in her mind of a time before...he had not killed her then. Could she raise her hand against him now?

There was no choice as she passed the poor souls who had met with the berserkers wrath their lif'e's blood soaking into the ground around them. The sight did not bother her as much as knowing the berserker, Hue, had been the cause.

She had to try.

Moving forward she made no sound closing the gap between them...
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Paul didn't even have time to cry out as the blade descended. While he did not want to die, he did feel a sense of peace in that moment. Then the expression on the Berserker's face flashed to horror, and the blade jerked to the left. Hope flooded through Paul. The peace he had just felt was gone in the face of the possibility that his days would not end here and now; that saving these pitiful few would not be his final act.

"Erinhue?" Paul hazarded.

The Berserker or Erinhue- Paul was not immediately certain which- was staring at the end of the blade, now buried in the dirt, inches from Paul's arm, and breathing heavily. For a moment the muscles in each arm flexed convulsively in opposition to one another and a low sound, somewhere between a growl and a wail, emanated from the bard's lips. He did not acknowledge the question, and Paul dared not move for fear the motion would distract from the obvious internal struggle, and settle it not in his favor.

Then Brondgast was there. Paul had never been more thrilled to see another being in his life. The giant bear rammed into Erinhue and sent him sprawling to the ground, though he still clutched Clarion. Paul didn't have time to see whether Erinhue picked himself up as a man or fiend, as Brondgast scooped Paul up and sprinted away. It was an awkward sort of rescue, with Brondgast running on three legs and pinning Paul over his shoulder with his fourth. draped as he was, precariously over the bear's shoulder, Paul had a good view of the dirt flying by inches from his nose.

A familiar shape flashed by and on instinct Paul's hand shot out and snatched it from the ground. Immediately Paul felt the familiar warmth spread up through his arm, into his shoulder, and then through the rest of his body. Now that he held the sword so close to his face he noticed that it was heavily inscribed with runes. That jogged a memory, but he had not time to figure it out before he was once again plopped down the ground some distance from the fighting. Paul let the sword slip from his grasp again, but had no time to miss the warmth before Brondgast turned on him and growled his chastisement.

Brondgast's rebuke stung. Just minutes before, Paul would have done anything to please his mentor, and the very thought of defying a direct order from a full fledged knight would have seemed tantamount to treason. But now here he was, on the far side of disobedience and he did not know how he ought to feel.

The foolishness of his actions was indeed hitting him like heavy cobblestones. Now that he was out of immediate danger and his brain was letting him contemplate the peril, he felt weak and childish. His whole torso ached from the abuse it had taken, and he knew the fact that he was not bleeding from huge slashes was a miracle. On the other hand, he did not for one moment regret his actions. He still felt that what he had done, in saving as many lives as he could, was the only right course of action he could have taken.

Brongast charged off again into the last vestiges of the foray, and Paul struggled to his feet. He felt drained and somewhat frustrated, but was determined to rejoin the fight. He bent and picked up the sword once more, and once more the warmth flowed through him. He suddenly felt rejuvenated. The world seemed to slow slightly as his perceptions and reactions were heightened. Contrary to feeling worn out, he felt fresh and ready to do it all again.

Paul gazed at the sword in wonder, his brain finally making the obvious connection it had been too busy earlier to make. What a wondrous blade! He could not imagine how he had fought before this moment, with that wonderful warmth coaching his body to great efficiency. He held the blade with one hand and released the handle with the other. Immediately the warmth was gone along with the heightened perception and refreshed feeling. Paul almost cried out at their sudden loss. His hand closed reflexively on the sword handle again and he breathed a sigh of relief as it all came flooding back.

He reflected that he did not know how to use a sword even half as well as daggers since Telta had begun teaching him, but this power! He wondered if he would be allowed to keep it. He suspected not, and he already dreaded giving it up. Maybe if he kept it out of sight... .
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:48 am

Hue stood watching as Paul and Brondgast left. He did not give chase just remained where he was staring after them. He had his back to her and seemed unaware of her. A fact Telta hoped would remain true as she got closer.

Telta made no sound as she closed the distance between them. Just a little farther.

The sound of running feet behind her announced the arrival of the other knights.

Hue heard it too and Telta saw him raise Clarion. With the swiftness of her kind and all her being focused on the man before her she ran at him sword raised ready to stop Hue.

At the last possible moment she turned her sword blade up bringing the pommel down to strike and strike hard.

And just as swiftly Hue spun around bringing his arm and broadsword around catching her side with such force she found herself rolling across the ground.
She stopped several feet away and managed to come to her knees. She was the fortunate one this time as her actions had brought her so close to Hue that only his arm and not his blade had struck her.

That blow knocked the wind out of her and as she knelt there trying to catch her breath she knew she would be feeling the effects of that hit later.

Right now she had bigger problems. She had Hue's attention.

Telta rose quickly gripping her sword firmly surprised she still held the weapon and happy that she did.

Hood and hair covered her face and as she brushed the stray hair from her eyes the hood slid down revealing her pale features.

Battered but still mobile at least for the moment Telta looked at Hue. A myriad of emotions passed over him and in them she saw anger, confusion, disbelief. And to her astonishment he began to slowly lower his broadsword.

Did he recognize her? Telta did not raise her sword but remained where she was motionless aware that any sudden movement could set him off.

"Hue?" she spoke quietly, hopefully.

The moment was cut short by the terrified shriek of the forgotten Syfa.

She saw the change in Hue and he was once more the berserker that came at her.

Telta braced herself sword up no doubt in her mind he meant to kill her. The elf did not remain still but rushed forward to meet him.

Clarion descended and she dodged the blade and it caught her sleeve slicing the fabric exposing her arm. Hue's leg was slightly bent and she used it as a catapult to sling herself up and bring the pommel of her sword down on Hue's head as she descended.

She pushed herself back landing on her feet as the broadsword slid from his hand and he fell to the ground.

Telta checked for pulse afraid she may have hit him to hard but found it strong. He would have a headache for sure and as she checked she found the bump on his head the skin unbroken.

The elf sat back relieved the tension easing form her. Telta laid her hand on the unconscious Hue's shoulder.

"I am sorry Hue. If there was any other way."
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:32 am

Krillen did not know what to say. He was beginning to go in and out of consciousness as the Eagle dropped him and swooped to recover him over and over again. He could hear the sound of carnage far below him, as well as the unearthly howl that filled the air from the lungs of the Berserker. He realized quickly that it was preferable to be in the Eagle's talons, for at least this creature seemed to be in its right mind.

But it had asked a cryptic question, at least to Krillen. Tell it everything he knew? Knew about what?

So, instead, he remained silent. He had found in such situations that it was better to do so than rashly speak. Also, once this creature got the information it wanted, there was no guarantee that it would not let him fall to his death.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Meneldor was getting nowhere fast. His treatment should have had Krillen squawking like a parrot, but he remained silent no matter how many times the Eagle dropped him. At least this human would know how it felt to be dropped into the Obliviate. He needed help.

Little brother.

The voice sounded in Meneldor's mind.

You are not having much luck with him, are you?

No, Agarak. I thought he would know what we want to know about Tempest.

I believe I can help open him up. Give him to me.

Thank you, my brother.

With that, Meneldor began circling downwards. The battle seemed to be winding down, and he saw Erinhue on the ground with the dragonharp hovering over him. Telta had done her job.

"I have a friend who wants to have a word or two with you." said Meneldor to Krillen. "We saw the sword of Tempest, a friend of ours who you threw into the Obliviate. I must warn you, those who attack one Mithril Knight attacks all, and it would be to your advantage to be totally honest in saying what you know of this affair, unless of course you want to join her down there. I am through playing with you."

The ground came closer and finally Meneldor landed. Agarak was waiting, hovering before them, and his piercing gaze transfixed Krillen, much like when a snake hypnotizes a bird. Even the Eagle turned his eyes away, holding the man in place with a wing. Three sharp notes, meant for Erinhue to wake him, sounded from the harp.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:41 am

By the time that Erinhue had been brought down, the other Knights had reached the fray and spent the next hour finishing up those of Krillen's gang who remained and were still able to hold a sword. They preserved the lives of those who surrendered, as well as those who had been injured less grievously. Krillen himself stood before the gathered Knights defiantely, though he was clearly also shaken by the battlefield dead around him. His mind raced to a thousand different scenarios---it was not the first time he had been in a tight spot, and as always, his primary goal was to survive to tell the tale. But he had not faced such foes before, and he wondered what his fate would be when they discovered the depth of his treachery against Tempest. How much could he reveal of the truth without directly implicating himself, while casting most of the blame on others?

The dragon harp hovered before him menacingly and he felt its voice searing his mind. He blinked painfully. ”Clearly, we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot,” he managed to choke out. ”Perhaps we should start again?”
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:02 am

By the time the Knights finally returned to their camp, Akara had long saddled her horse, rode hard from the camp, and reached what she could only guess was the Obliviate. Here she paused. Though her goal was to reach the eastern side of the mithril mine, she felt compelled to approach the entrance to the Obliviate, as though to enact her mother’s final moments. Why do this to yourself? she scoffed, as she approached. Why torture yourself with what cannot be changed?

But still she approached and gazed down into the inky darkness of the mouth of the Obliviate. There was no breeze or sound outside, instead the world around seemed to collectively hold its breath. As far as she could see, there was nothing but wasteland. A fitting place for such a woman as Tempest to meet her death. Even the sun struggled to push through the tattered clouds.

Around the mouth she could see signs of struggle, and she imagined how the victims must be dragged unwillingly, some probably crying out, begging for their lives, trying to find a foothold to prevent the inevitable. She wondered if Tempest had done any of those things as she was thrown to her death. Akara stood looking down into the Obliviate for several minutes, straining her ears to hear the faintest sound coming up from underneath.

But there was nothing.

”Farewell, mother who I will never know.” she whispered angrily. ”May the good you attempted in the latter days of your life make up for the evils of your youth.”

With that, she turned, refusing to look back anymore. She headed east and found the swamp that Tempest had mentioned in her journal. She quickly followed it back to its source, which disappointingly clearly ran underground.

Tempest had been wrong. There was no entrance to be found, no matter how she searched.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:15 am

Awarness returned slowly.

Erinhue knew he was back at their encampment before he opened his eyes. A few soothing notes from Agarak both encouraged him and answered a vital question.

When he did open his eyes and struggle up to a sitting position, one look at the troubled faces of his companions told him that they were asking the same question.

This was the time for a tension relieving quip, some wise crack or sarcastic remark that would put both him and them at ease. It was not in him and Erinhue said simply “I am The Bard.”

It was enough

erinhue

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)