The Prophecy - RP: The Secret Locket.

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby LadyElessar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:40 am

Still flushed with embarassment from his apparent blunder in crossing the river at the wrong place, Terelas appeared even more caught off-guard when Hitharien directed a question his way. Hardly just a simple inquiry, Terelas’s head spun at the implications of her question. Asking him for advice implied that she thought his opinion to be a valid source, that she thought highly enough of him to ask for advice even after Deus had pointed out his error in judgment in crossing the river.

“I think…” His voice drifted as he thought about what to say. His eyes rested on the young man from Rohan, who Hitharien had referred to and he found his thoughts suddenly clouded with the images from the Westfold. “I do not think…” The company waited patiently for Terelas’ words to come, already familiar with his painfully slow and hesitant speech. He was not a man used to conversation with others, they all could tell. “I do not think I would have crossed at the fords…had I known they were there,” he confessed. “I would not journey that way,” he affirmed. “Not now. Not tomorrow.”

“Why not?” Telemar detected an unspoken fear in his eyes at the thought of journeying into the lands.

“The Westfold…it is…” Terelas could come up with no words that would suitably describe what he had seen and smelled and felt upon his trip through the ravaged land.

“What?” Telemar demanded impatiently. “What about the Westfold?” Glancing to the young man, who hardly looked to be out of his teens, Terelas gave a hapless shrug of his shoulders.

“It has fallen.”
LadyElessar
Shield Bearer

Postby Silwen » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:38 am

"Fallen!", exclaimed Telemar. "How can it be?"

Memories of the land passed before his mind's eye, the wide expanses, the people, the villages he knew from his journeys. He imagined the places now, destroyed. But how? By fire? Burnt and disfigured, houses, horses, people? Run over by the creatures of which he had heard rumours? Did Isengard have something to do with it?

"How will we best get to Minas Tirith," Hitharien asked no one in particular. "What danger awaits us in the Westfold? And what has happened there?" She fixed her gaze on the new arrival for only he could answer and help them now.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:25 am

Before Terelas could answer they heard a loud rustle among the treetops and saw a flurry of torn leaves not far from them. The two sword-fighting Elves stood at attention, weapons poised. Deus joined them while the horses each stopped grazing and twitched their ears into the direction of the commotion. The newcomer’s hound began a low growl, head close to the ground and eyes among the trees. They heard distressed twittering, savage caws, and frightened hoots.

Without a word Hitharien rose to her feet and ran towards the noise. On her way she picked up a long fallen branch with which she hit the trees as high as she cold reach. Two birds fell from above and hit the ground at the same time as a small group of crebain fled towards Isengard. Seeing they had gone, Hitharien stooped to pick up the smaller of the two fallen birds. It was a small thrush, perhaps the one Terelas had spoken to a little earlier. It’s feathers were ruffled and torn, but it seemed to be breathing. Amrunelen had followed Hitharien among the trees and took the bird from her now. “Perhaps there is something you can do for it,” the woman asked her with more hope in her voice than she felt.

The other bird was bigger, black and heavy. Its feathers gleamed glossily but felt strangely rough at the same time. Its beak was also black and straight until it bent at the tip to form a cruel hook. Hitharien could imagine what its purpose was. One of its eyes had been torn from its head, but the one that remained whole was strangely yellow with a slit-like black pupil. The iris was rimmed with red. “It is one of the crebain,” Hitharien said to the others who had come closer now. Probably the thrush had been considered a spy and sought out by the group.

A rustling in the treetops made them all reach for their weapons. A gasp escaped Hitharien when she saw her friend the owl hopping down to the lowest branch, one of its wings bent at a strange angle, bleeding. She left he black bird on the ground and reached for the owl instead, carefully picking it off the tree. She brought it back to their fire where Amrunelen examined the thrush with Aremin’s help. The men sat together talking softly. They had never seen Hitharien with the bird before and had not even known it had followed them from the beginning. Now the woman fell into her habit of speaking to it, soothing it as best she could.

“I will set your wing,” she said gently, spreading it with care. “It is not broken badly, but you won’t be able to fly for some days.” The bird protested and made her laugh. “Alright, alright: I know nothing of owl medicine, you are right. Surprise me!” As if in answer it began to hop away from her and then back moving around its own axis, its good wing flapping loudly. “You won’t get far with only one wing,” she said bemusedly. “Unless you don’t mind flying in circles.” Another indignant hoot. “Yes, I’m sure that can be very interesting,” she laughed out loud.

Having set the wing she realised that this was the first time she had touched the owl. They had always retained a friendship that respected the habits and customs of Men and birds and thus required each of them to keep distance from the other. Now this barrier that had never been perceived as such was broken and Hitharien felt strangely insecure. Had she intervened in a way that was not for her to do according to the laws of the wild? She quickly broke off the thought as the owl hopped onto her wrist to be brought to the woman’s cloak near the fire. She formed it into a nest for her friend to rest in for the night.

She looked around to see the two Elven ladies nursing the thrush as the men spoke of the Westfold.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LadyElessar » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:20 pm

He was still contemplating Hitharien’s earlier questions when the two birds fell to the ground. Though he wanted to do something for the little thrush, he knew it was better off in elven hands than in his and he allowed the two to care for it as Telemar and Deus contined to press him for details of the Westfold. His mind was fixed on Hitharien’s words. There was so much she had asked that he had been physically incapable of answering. She had an incapacitating effect upon him moreso even than the elves but it was the mention of Minas Tirith that was currently occupying his thoughts.

It had been long since he had set foot inside the Rammas Echor. Not since he’d been a youth and Halax no more than a yearling. The memory of his departure from the walls remained vivid in his mind, despite how hard he had tried to forget it. He remembered all too well the looks he had gotten from the city-dwellers, a peasant youth, dressed in rags demanding to be admitted to the archives.

“What is our best road if you say the Westfold has fallen?” Deus inquired, snatching Terelas out of the past.

“I would not travel the roads,” Terelas spoke slowly and his eyes gave way again to the same apprehension as when he’d spoken of the Westfold. He himself did not like to travel the roads because he preferred the solitude of the mountains. He tended to avoid crowds and especially lately the roads had been too crowded for his liking.

“But why?” Telemar questioned desperately.

“There is talk of strange characters at work…along the West Road,” he blurted out suddenly. “Part of a great shadow that stretches from the East,” he shrugged his shoulders somewhat dismissively at the rumor he had heard in an inn several weeks ago. “I do not know if I think it to be true – I keep to the mountains, so I have not seen such characters,” he explained and his words hung in the air for a moment as he glanced to Hitharien and the wounded owl. He wanted to ask her about so many things. How she spoke to the owl like he had spoken to the thrush, why she was travelling to Minas Tirith, what she was doing in the company of elves. But how did one go about asking such things without appearing rude? How did one go about asking anything of a woman such as she?

He turned his attention back to Telemar and Deus, who waited with baited breath for him to say more. He could not tell them anymore, for he didn’t know what danger lay in the Westfold nor what the truth behind the rumors actually was. He knew only that strange occurences like that which had just befallen the poor thrush were becoming more frequent in the lands he called home. Great wolves of the northern lands had been venturing further and further in lands where they did not belong. “That is the road I would take if I were to travel to Minas Tirith.”

“What road?” Deus was puzzled by the young man’s cryptic statements and peculiar silences and at his remark Terelas gave, of all things, a tiny smile and a shrug of the shoulders.

“The mountains.”
LadyElessar
Shield Bearer

Postby Silwen » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:53 am

“The mountains,” repeated Telemar.

“You mean we should travel among them instead of alongside them,” asked Hitharien.

“Yes,” said Terelas. “That is the safest way, and I know the paths that will bring us to Minas Tirith.”

Telemar disliked the fact that he would not be the leader of the group now. He had been looking forward to proving his expertise as a guide, and most of all he had wanted to see his land again. He said, “So we will not got to Edoras as we had planned?” If they decided not to go there he would have to leave them. He had said he would go with them as far as Edoras, and maybe on to Minas Tirith. But now he wasn’t sure. He had no business in the capital of Gondor, and he wanted to go home. After all that Terelas had said to him about the situation in his land he would be needed there instead. What could he do to aid Hitharien, anyway? That was not his world, and neither were Elves. He realised that he had long ago decided he was going to leave the company when they reach Edoras, but only now did he know.

Terelas said, “We will see if the paths in the mountains are still safe. We should keep away from the mountain’s feet and not risk going to Edoras.”

“But the city is on our way,” Deus intervened, sensing the Rohirrim’s thoughts. “And it seems likely that we should be able to see it. Even if we cannot go, we cannot keep you from going home.”

Telemar knew he was right. He would go with them into the mountains, may the newcomer lead them on. He was probably the most competent guide among them in this part of the journey. He would leave them for Edoras once they are near it.

Aremin and Amrunelen came to the fire. “There was nothing we could do,” Aremin said with sorrow in her voice. “Its wounds were too deep.” The thrush had died after all. The owl, hearing this, emitted a pained hoot from its artificial nest on the ground. Hitharien looked at Terelas, wondering how he would take the news. She hoped he knew a suitable ritual for the bird’s burial.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:55 pm

They buried the bird under the tree it had been attacked in. Afterwards they all went to sleep except for those who kept watch in turn. The new day began coldly and Hitharien found frost in her hair. She was glad to find the owl safe and warm, nestled deep into the cloak. Amrunelen adn Aremin were nowhere in sight. The men were roused from sleep by her rekindling of the fire and the smells of a warm breakfast. They did not talk much.

Hitharien was worried about the Elven ladies' whereabouts. The sun had risen already and still they were nowhere to be seen. She took Deus aside and asked him, "Have you any idea where they are?"

"No," he said. "But I feel they are not in danger."

It was difficult, but they decided to go on without the two. While they got the horses ready, Deus found a note among his belongings. "This is from Aremin," he said to the others. "She says they have been called back to Imladris and had to leave without warning."

"Is there trouble," Hitharien asked.

"She does not say."

So they rode towards the mountains, their company diminished. Hitharien suddenly found herself alone among men.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby NewZealand » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:06 pm

Deus rode silently along, following the others. He took up the rear behind Telemar and Hitharien, and Terelas lead the way. He still did not trust this fellow, although he seemed trust worthy. I shall keep one eye open at all times Deus thought to himself. It wasn’t like him to be so untrusting of people but after seeing Isenguard and hearing how Amrunelen and Aremin had to leave, like they did, he couldn’t help it.

Deus also thought about the ring and the Dark Lord that Elrond had told him about. Although he did not know all the details he wondered if he was right in trusting anyone. Maybe Terelas was tricking them into traveling with him so he could lead them into a trap.

Deus constantly watched the road and their surroundings ready at any moment to pull out his bow or sword if need be. He rode along in silence following the others, only Hitharien seemed to notice the change in him, but she didn’t say anything. She seemed to know what he was thinking.

~~~NZ~~~
NewZealand
Rider of the Mark

Postby Amrunelen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:06 pm

An hour or so after they had gone to rest and everyone was asleep, Aremin woke again at the feeling of a slight scratching on her shoulder. She opened one eye cautiously while grasping for her blade which she kept next to her. Her hand stopped when she saw that is was a bird that was trying to get her attention, not one of the crebain, but a fair bird like those which could be seen sitting in the trees in the valley where Imladris lay. The bird had a small scroll tied to its one leg. Aremin gently took it off and read it. She turned quickly and woke Amrunelen.

"What is it?", Amrunelen whispered. She read over the message after Aremin had handed it to her. "We must get back there immediately.", Aremin said. Amrunelen looked up and nodded in reply. They gathered their things quickly, readied their horses, and Aremin scribbled out a quick note to Deus, then leaving it among his belongings.

It was dark but it was a clear night and the moon bathed the land in a silvery light. The two elves started off, heading back in the direction they had come. They went on for a few hours but came to a sudden stop when they could see a light ahead. It looked to be a small camp fire or a torch, maybe. Coming from the same direction as the light, they could hear harsh voices conversing, growling and rasping as they talked. "Orcs...", Aremin said to Amrunelen in their thought speech. The elves dismounted and moved in a bit closer to try and hear what the orcs spoke of.

"Saruman calls us back to Isengard. We will continue on our way westward in the morning. He also said that the crebain spotted a small group of travelers wandering through the mountains. We should keep a look out for them on our way. "

Oh no...they might catch up with Hitharien and the others. "We have to go back to warn them.", Amrunelen said to Aremin. "What if they are caught?"

"You go back to warn them, and I'll continue on to Imladris. They need to know. They must travel with haste, I fear, for soon these mountains will be swarming with orcs. They are coming out from their dark hiding places, summoned by Saruman."

"Will you be safe going on your own? You may be able to get around these unnoticed, but what is to say that you will not come across any more?"

"I will be fine and Glorfindel is coming out to meet me.", Aremin said with a slight smile and a knowing look in her eyes.

"Be safe, my friend. May the Valar protect you. I shall go on back to them. Namarie, for now.", Amrunelen said. With that said, they both turned their own ways, Amrunelen going back the way they had just come, and Aremin cutting downwards to make her way around the group of orcs.

Amrunelen went along quietly, Tindanare walking at a slow pace until they were a safe distance from the orcs and then she urged the horse to break into a gallop. The sun was well on its way up into the sky by the time she had reached the camp again and the others were already gone.

Well...this is good and bad. They are farther away from the orcs, but now I have to try and find them. Amrunelen thought to herself. She took care to walk around the camp, keeping an eye out for any footprints or such that could indicate which way they had gone. Finally she caught sight of a heavy, booted step. It was too large to be Hitharien's and too heavy to be Deus' who would've walked lightly as elves tend to do. It had to belong to Telemar or Terelas. Amrunelen started out in that direction, moving with what speed she could but also taking care to listen for any voices or watch for any signs of a change of direction, and so she went on like that for a while, trying to reach out to Deus with her mind to tell him she was looking for them and that danger followed.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:13 am

It was clear that something was bothering Deus. He was keeping a distance between himself and the others, especially Terelas. But this distance was not only of a geographical kind. He appeared to be elsewhere with his thoughts, at the same time keeping an eye on their surroundings.

The sun managed to warm them a little after all. The frost of the night was thawing slowly, but they all kept their cloaks on. Hitharien had secured the owl’s artificial nest in front of her saddle, so that the bird could ride with them and peep out from underneath its cover. It seemed to be mourning the thrush’s death. It was quiet and hardly moved at all. Its eyes blinked often into the light. The broken wing was stiff in its bandage.

They reached the ford and crossed over easily. When Hitharien came to the oppposite bank following Terelas she smiled at him and said, “The easier way.” He rode ahead swiftly.

Telemar was as quiet as the rest of them. But Hitharien could sense that he was thinking of home. She was sure he was glad to leave them, not because they were bad company, but simply because he wanted to be home again. Who knew for how long he had not seen his land. And after the devastation of the Westfold he was obliged to return there. Hitharien understood him well, though it was strange. She who had left her land and was only returning now so many years later, she should not be able to understand him. But she did. Home is wheer the heart is. And where the heart is, you must always return, for without it you are lost.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby NewZealand » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:33 pm

Deus still kept his distance from the others as they rode. He suddenly stopped and stared straight forward but his eyes were distant. He did not seem to be looking at anything but to be thinking of something. He told the others to stop and wait but that was all he said. He turned Telum around and looked far into the distance searching for something that the others could not see. The others looked at each other with confused looks on their faces, then back at Deus who still said nothing but sat staring at something.

Then a rider came into sight of the others. They could not make out who it was but the person came fast. As the rider drew closer they recognized her to be Amrunelen. She pulled to a stop before them and said “I’m glad I found you. Thanks for waiting Deus.”

“Of course.” He said. “Now tell me of this band of orcs, you mentioned.” Hitharien now understood, Amrunelen must have been reaching out to Deus in his head, telling him to wait.

After hearing Deus mention ‘band of orcs’ everyone looked upon Amrunelen for an answer.

~~~NZ~~~
NewZealand
Rider of the Mark

Postby Amrunelen » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:26 pm

Amrunelen could make the form of Deus out in the distance. She had caught up with them at last! After the initial comments, Deus asked about the band of orcs and the others watched her, awating an answer, with eager expressions on their faces. Amrunelen went on with her story as hastily as possible so they could get on the move once again.

With a deep breath, she began. "As you know, Aremin recieved an urgent message from Rivendell. I will not speak of what that message concerns here and now, for I do not know if it is safe to do so. The spies of Saruman are everywhere. After we made our hasty departure from camp and had been traveling for some time, we came across a band of orcs. They did not spot us, but we were close enough to pick up some of their conversation. The orcs stir in the mountains. Some are leaving their dark hiding places at the calling of Saruman and that particular group is headed this way. They also heard word of our little traveling party and were told to look out for us. It is of utmost urgency that we travel with what speed we can and get out of here as soon as possible. They are some distance behind us and were not going to start out until morning, but still we do not know what others may be coming behind or even on the path in front of us. Dark times are ahead, I fear.", she finished, looking around at everyone.
Last edited by Amrunelen on Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:56 am

Galaniel was tired. She had not slept in days. And no sign of a group of orcs. Even her great tracking skills were of no use in these parts. The tower was always watching. Just then her brother spoke up.

"Galaniel, we should get going. You know that group is near."

"Yes I know, brother. But I have a feeling we are not completely surrounded by evil. There is a small goup across the river."

Galaniel then took the shape of a black cat, although it looked like a panther. She ran swiflty, as did Nithrodrel and Sinarien on their horses. She stopped suddenly, transformed to her own self, and tip-toed to the edge of the trees. She could hear voices whispering.

"As you know, Aremin recieved an urgent message from Rivendell. I will not speak of what that message concerns here and now, for I do not know if it is safe to do so. The spies of Saruman are everywhere. After we made our hasty departure from camp and had been traveling for some time, we came across a band of orcs. They did not spot us, but we were close enough to picks up some of their conversation. The orcs stir in the mountains. Some are leaving their dark hiding places at the calling of Saruman and that particular group is headed this way. They also heard word of our little traveling party and were told to look out for us. It is of utmost urgency that we travel with what speed we can and get out of here as soon as possible. They are some distance behind us and were not going to start out until morning, but still we do not know what others may be coming behind or even on the path in front of us. Dark times are ahead, I fear."

Galaniel looked at Arien and Nith. They smiled and Lina was a cat once more. She walked into the small group as they stopped and stared. She purred loudly to see what they do. Then the newcomer who had been talking spoke.

"What is this? A spy from Saruman?" She glared at the cat.

Galaniel strode around the group until she stopped at the man known as Dues. What do you say to this? She thought. She was always up for having a little fun.

And as she walked back to where she began, she changed to human form and said "No, just a wary traveller with friends." She mentioned for Arien and Nith to come out.

Her eyes flashed a cautious glare at Dues, who at that moment drew an arrow, but did not fire.
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby NewZealand » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Deus stared at the newcomers a moment holding his bow tight in his hand. Ah maybe I was right in thinking that Terelas was leading us into a trap. He thought to himself. He looked Lina straight in the eyes not blinking for a moment then slowly lowered the arrow. She had an honest look in her eye. Deus put the arrow back in his quiver and his bow slung over his shoulder.

“You may just be as you said, but in these lands and in these times no one is safe to trust just anyone. How much of our conversation did you overhear?” He questioned still staring at Lina.

~~~NZ~~~
NewZealand
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:39 am

Hitharien was taken completely by surprise at the strangers, especially at the changeling cat. She had never come across such a creature before, and the lack of experience hindered her in any action. She was grateful when Deus drew his arrow, and she was dismayed when he lowered it again. Could it be the creature had magical powers of the kind that would hypnotize others, even Elves?

Then the spell was broken and she drew her sword so that the engraved words "An Bronwe" glittered danngerously in the light. "Speak," she demanded menacingly. "Answer his question, and be quick!" She did not trust them at all.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:52 am

But no answer came and she was impatient. “We must go on,” Hitharien said. “We have no time for such nonsense.”

She led Chhaya to the head of the group and rode towards the mountains. Deus lingered for a moment, not knowing what the matter was. She had never reacted this way to strangers. She had been ready to trust the others who had joined the company one by one, but no it seemd she was unwilling to have any dealings with these three.

At last he motioned to them, saying, “Join us.”

But Hitharien turned abruptly, and fiercely she said, “No.” Everybody’s head turned to her in surprise. “They may not join us.” And she headed towards the mountains again.

The distance between the two groups grew fast, and the three didn’t wait long to pursue them. They were not trying to hide, and Telemar saw them following. “They are behind us,” he said to Hitharien.

“This is unnatural,” she said to herself, meaning the woman who could turn herself into a cat. Never before had she even heard of such a creature, and it seemed to her that only creatures of the Enemy would be able to play such tricks on nature. She had never liked cats. They were evil creatrues, spies, with their cunning eyes and their sleekness.

“They mean no harm,” sad Deus from the rear when she saw them getting even closer.

Suddenly her eyes flashed with anger and she turned to face them. She let go of the rains and threw her arms out towards them fiercely, and her company felt a strong gust of wind pass them. The grass bent in angry waves and traced the wind’s progress towards the three strangers. They had not expected this and were flung to the ground by its power.

“Do not follow us,” she cried as they picked themselves up from the ground.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Amrunelen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:35 pm

Amrunelen didn't get any particularly evil feelings from the new group of three, but the fact that they did not answer Deus' question did not bode well with her. She maybe wouldn't have responded quite so harshly as Hitharien did, but then at the moment she was along to help her and would let her decide.

After Hitharien turned around again and seemed to have sent that gust of wind at the others, knocking them down, Amrunelen looked at her, startled. She waited until they were on their way again before saying anything. "If you don't mind me asking, what was that?", she questioned with curiosity.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:08 pm

At this point Hitharien realised Amrunelen had not known of her powers before. Of course! She had not been with them at the battle on the edges of Mirkwood where she killed the orc captain and has become aware of the greatness of her own strength for the first time.

"I do not understand it myself," she said in answer. "But when people arouse my anger, I seem to develope these strange powers. I do not use them deliberately; it happend impulsively." After a moment she added, "I do not like to use them this way."

"Humans don't have such powers," Amrunelen said.

"Apparently they do," the woman replied with a hard edge to her voice.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LadyElessar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:05 pm

Terelas had been quiet for most of the journey, staying at the front and silently leading the group to higher and higher ground. Deus occasionally urged his dapple to the front of the column, but without Terelas in the lead they knew not where they were headed. For he had led them far from the flat plains and well marked roads and the terrain was gradually sloping upwards and growing more and more rocky. He paid little attention to the conversation amongst Deus, Amrunelen and Hitharien. They spoke of places and people with important names he would never remember. Deus still looked at him strangely from time to time and Amrunelen’s mind still seemed unmade. He could often feel their eyes on him and whenever he did he would squeeze Halax into a slow jog and move ahead to join Oril, who travelled far ahead of the company to begin with. The hound was unused to having to wait on Terelas and cocked his head whenever he saw his master turn and wait for the dark-haired women atop the grey horse. His nose in the air and his tail out behind him, he would jog far ahead of the column of horses then race back, jog forward and race back as if to say to Terelas “Keep up!”.

Terelas was with Oril far ahead of the group looking for familiar outcrops when the mysterious trio arrived. So concerned with finding a passable trail for the company, he didn’t even notice their arrival, but a deep-throated growl emerged from Oril’s throat that cast his attention back to the group. They stood in conversation with an unusual band of travelers. All eyes were fixed on the woman at the front who spoke with Deus. He kept Halax at a stand and commanded Oril to stay as he looked on at the three from a distance far ahead. For some reason they filled him with anuneasiness. He didn’t want to trust them like he, despite himself, had almost immediately wanted to trust Hitharien.

Hitharien suddenly broke away from the group and trotted towards him. She hardly attempted to slow Chhaya as she approached and Terelas was unsure what to make of the stormy look in her eye.

“Who are they?” Terelas spoke first as she pulled alongside of Halax.

“They are not joining us,” Hitharien replied shortly and when she looked at Terelas there was no warmth or trust like there had been yesterday. The new strangers seemed to have set her on edge. He sat atop Halax, looking ahead to the rising and rocky ground, eager to return to the familiar terrain. Hitharien looked to him impatiently, eager to move away from the three strangers. “Will you lead us into the mountains or no?”

“I thought I was,” he replied softly, unused to this colder Hitharien. Last night she had been willing to talk with him, to share her meal. Now she seemed as wary and impatient with him as the others.

“Well lead.” Her words sounded like a command as she glanced over her shoulder. “I do not trust them.” Terelas gave Halax a squeeze and continued on, casting a glance behind as well.

“Nor do I,” he murmured and Hitharien picked her head up at the words as she watched him amble past her. He sat so comfortably in the saddle, so comfortably amidst this increasingly rocky terrain, like his natural state was here atop the dark little horse.

And she gave a slight smile as she watched him pick a path with horse and hound. The rest of the group might not agree with her, but there was something off with the trio that had approached them and it pleased her to know that Terelas agreed. The feeling she had first gotten upon meeting the young stranger flooded her again. For all his peculiarities, she got the overwhelming sentiment that he was a young man to be trusted, for he was a good judge of character in both man and beast.
LadyElessar
Shield Bearer

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:33 am

Nithrodrel got up slowly, fearing the wind would come again, and helped p his sister.

"Maybe we shouldn't stay here." He said.

"Yes. We should leave."

So the group turned around and headed back into the forest. They ere going to Rivendell to seek guidence. maybe the groups would meet up again.
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby Silwen » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:38 am

When Hitharien turned t olook back, she saw the strangers were retreating. Somehow she hadn't expected such an easy resolution, but she was greatly relieved. The sudden demonstration of her powers had frightened her herself, it always reminded her of the battle with the orc captain.

Now that immediate danger seeemed to be turned away from them, she began to regret her tone she had used with Terelas. She knew she should go and apologise, but she felt reluctant for some reason. She chided herself for her behaviour, she didn't know what was going on with her. Why was she not acting te way she would if it had been someone else from the group?

Her manner was suddenly changed when she saw the strangers leaveing in the direction they themselves had just come from. She felt calmed. But she was also embarrassed at her treatment of Terelas, especially when she noted his soft words that contrasted so strongly with her own words. He could be trusted. He was the only one, seemingly, who agreed with her opinion of the strangers. She watched him riding far ahead of her, and the injured owl peeked through the folds and voiced its opinion.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LadyElessar » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:53 pm

Sharing much in common with his friend and master, Halax was more home amid the craggy faces and rocky peaks of the mountains than anywhere else. Much like Oril, the shaggy dark bay displayed all the signs of an anxious creature eager to return home. When Terelas pulled back on the reins he pawed the ground and chomped at his bit impatiently so much a frothy white ring of saliva surrounded his mouth.

“What is it?” Hitharien inquired softly at the look of hesitance on Terelas' face as he continued to hold Halax back. He had not stopped or even slowed his horse once in their gradual ascent this morning.

“Halax is something of a mountain horse,” the young man combed a tangle out of his horse’s dark mane and glancing ahead to the mountain pass before them. Hitharien just nodded her head. While hardly speaking in riddles, Terelas certainly didn’t speak clearly either. Unused to conversation would hardly do the peculiar young man justice. She wondered how long the he had been out in the wild. Though far from a child, she knew there were likely men his age who still lived with their mothers and fathers. She glanced over at his travel-stained clothes and tired face. Here he looked to have known nothing but a life alone.

“He seems at home in the mountains,” she agreed, looking to the hooves of the dark bay that rested comfortably amid the stones. “Is he very young?” she asked, turning her head to fix her eyes more on Terelas than his horse.

“He is getting up in his years,” Terelas patted the horse on his thick neck affectionately and Hitharien, knowing that Terelas probably did not grasp the full intent of her question, continued.

“He looks but a colt to me."

“He is close to nine,” Terelas shrugged and Hitharien just nodded her head and repeated the number aloud.

“Nine.”

“Aye, nine years,” Terelas nodded his head. “He grew up on the plains.”

“Yet is so at home in the mountains?” Hitharien attempted to get a bit more out of the young man, but he changed abruptly as if to say he’d revealed enough for now. After all he still knew next to nothing about her. Why she was travelling to Gondor, why in the company of elves. Such questions only whirled around his head, to give them a voice was unthinkable. He would stick to being their guide.

“There is no path here,” he spoke louder this time, to the entire company not just Hitharien. “If your horses have not travelled in the mountains before…then trust Halax,” Terelas gave his friend a squeeze and the shaggy dark bay began picking a path up the craggy face. “stay close…he will lead them.”
Last edited by LadyElessar on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
LadyElessar
Shield Bearer

Postby Silwen » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:10 am

Terelas' reaction was not new to her, and, after all, she was hardly any more communicative than he most of the time and she left him in peace. As they made their way through the rugged mountains on a path that was hardly discernible for riders who never rode off the plains, a lot of murmuring and cursing could be heard while some of them tried to steer their horses after Halax's lead. The sound of unsettled stones followed them all the way.

Telemar said under his breath, "This is madness. The horses will break their legs and we our necks if we keep going. We should have gone the easy way to Edoras."

Hitharien said not a word. It would not be of any use talking to him now, and she knew that he was right as far as he himself was concerned. he knew the land for it was his home, and he believed that even if it were swarmed by the enemy, he would be able to come through. She did not share his opinion. She had almost died at the hands of an orc, so how safe would this man of Rohan be among hundreds or thousands of them? He would soon part with them, heading home.

Suddenly, the urge to tell Terelas about her powers came over her. She had not explained them to her, and she wondered what he might be thinking of her. If he had taken her for an average woman, he must have been surprised by this demonstration. She wanted to tell him how she first noticed her powers, tell him of how it was this strangeness that made her turn away from Minas Tirith. They were heading there now and she began to fear she would not be welcome.

As they made their way further up, she said to him, "What news of Minas Tirith do you have?" She was not sure if he could answer her, as he seemed not to have been in the city for some time. She wondered if he knew the people who had taken her in so many years ago.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LadyElessar » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:04 pm

“News?” he furrowed his eyebrows and glanced over to Hitharien. “What makes you think I have news of Minas Tirith?” His jaw was set firmly, but Hitharien only offered a friendly smile and a shrug of her shoulders.

“You said you had heard news of a shadow stretching from the East,” she reminded him.

”But I said nothing of Minas Tirith,” he replied sharply and the guarded comment should have warned Hitharien from prying further, but she could not help herself. The name he had introduced himself as provided little doubt as to his lineage. Youngsters in Gondor learned the names of the seven beacons of Gondor early in life. Amon Din, Eilenach, Nardol, Erelas, Min-Rimmon, Calenhad and Halfirien. Erelas, Erelas, Erelas. Hitharien remembered always liking the way the fourth beacon rolled off her tongue.

“Erelas, Erelas,” she murmured the name of the fourth beacon and looked ahead to her guide. It was a curious fate that a man named for the mountains should end up being so at home in them. Almost as if someone had foreseen his love of the mountains. She laughed at herself for entertaining such thoughts and looked ahead to the enigmatic young man. He was a traveler, a wanderer who took to life far removed from society. That was why he liked the mountains. Not because someone had preordained his destiny. “Terelas,” she spoke his name aloud, not even meaning to call to him, just wanting to speak it. She guessed it had been long since he had heard his name aloud. He cast her a sidewards glance as his name passed from her lips and raised an eyebrow like he expected her to say more. “The fourth beacon of Gondor?” she offered with a soft smile, but no such smile appeared on his face as they passed into single file.

“It is just a name,” he dismissed curtly and turned his attention to the path ahead. They had thus far seemed to be wandering up the base of the mountain. There was no discernible path and they seemed to go wherever Halax felt like taking them. But a path rose before them now. It was narrow and not particularly well-travelled. She wondered if it was a path Terelas and Halax themselves had made.

"Surely you do not intend for us to climb that!" Telemar shouted ahead to Terelas, whose silence unnerved him. He could not understand why Hitharien had thrown her trust into this stranger. There was no way that this was the safer road. The narrow path cut into the mountain before them looked nearly impassible. "The horses will not make it!"

"They will make it," Terelas stated calmly as Halax began the climb. He leaned forward slightly and grabbed a clump of the black mane, giving the horse a long rein and allowing him to do the work of clumbing the cliff. Hitharien felt a rush surge through her as she watched the power of the tiny horse beneath Terelas easily overcome the steep incline, paying little heed to the sharp drop off to the right of the path. The horse made his way up the mountains like a cat, seeming to inherently know each and every stone that would hold him.

A horse that had grown up on the plains yet was so at home in the mountains. S he turned the phrase over in her head some more. Was she foolish to place her trust in this peculiar young man? To place the lives of her comrades in him as well? The drop of several hundred feet to the right of the narrow pathway made her own heart pound with exhilaration, but did nothing to deter Chhaya who seemed eager to follow Halax up the mountain pass.

She glanced behind at her travelling companions. Their horses grey coats were darkened with sweat from the mountain climb, but their ears, like Chhaya’s, were pricked forward alertly.

“This is folly!” Telemar shouted again from the back of the column where his chesnut struggled to gain a footing. “Deus, surely you agree!” he implored. “I will not make Naurcorm climb another step.” A silence took over the group, broken only by the heavy breathing of the horses and the sound of Halax and Terelas ascending the tremendous cliff.. Hitharien could feel Chhaya’s muscles quivering beneath her. A white lather coated his neck and his breath came in deep weary groans and sighs. She patted her courageous companion on his sticky neck. She remembered how brave he had been when they had been forced to pass through Mirkwood. She did not want to force him through another ordeal needlessly. As if to tell her he knew she was thinking of him, the grey pulled at his rein and took an eager step forward.

”I do not make Chhaya climb,” she threaded her fingers into the grey mane like Terelas had before making the climb. “He follows willingly.”
LadyElessar
Shield Bearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:14 am

Telemar might turn out to be a threat, Hitharien thought. She did not like the idea, but his behaviour was dangerous. He was predictable, yes, unlike Terelas, but the man of Rohan would not leave matters be now that he was forced to follow them. Who could say what might happen if they began arguing on the steep path. They were in enough danger just climbing with their horses. Telemar might break their concentration, and that might prove to be fatal in the mountains.

To take her mind off things, Hitharien made sure the owl was safe in the cloak. To her surprise the bird began to extricate itself when she adjusted the fabric. Obviously, its wing was better, perhaps it had not been wholely broken after all. Still holding on to Chhaya’s mane, she used one hand to make more space for the owl to move. For the time being she could do no more, for the path climbed steadily higher, and it was all she could do to hold on to her horse.

Somewhere behind her she heard Telemar cursing. She refused to look back. She knew what she would see: two Elves easily leading their horses up after her, and a man, faced flushed, trying to contain his anger and barely succeeding. She heard the rolling of pebbles which was particularly loud at Telemar’s end. Instead, she looked forward to Terelas. Such similar names, she thought to herself, but what a difference in character: one named after mountains who feels at home in them, and another who sounds alike, but who would avoid them if he could.

“I am going back,” Telemar called. “This is madness!”

“You cannot turn back,” said Hitharien.

“The path is too narrow for your horse to turn around,” Deus explained.

Terelas added, “You will have to wait until we get to a wider path. There are some that will lead you to Edoras, but not this one.”

“I do not believe you, guide,” he spat.

“Peace,” said Hitharien.

“Let him hold his, and I will hold mine,” the Rohirrim retorted.

“He has been quieter company than you, Telemar,” she said with the hint of a smile.

This drove him into a rage and he cried out, “You trust this stranger more than your companions?”

“You are all strangers to me, are you not? You all joined by chance, or fate. I knew none of you before. So hold your peace, stranger, and watch where you ride.”

“What are you going to do, if I do not,” taunted the man. “Throw me off the face of the mountain? Kill me like that orc, which you enjoyed so much?”

Had she been walking next to Chhaya, she would have stopped dead in her tracks. She said, “You have wasted a day. You should have left for Rohan last night when we decided to come here. You would not have been in danger of falling of mountainsides, only of hordes of orcs, which you seem to prefer.”
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Caligo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:13 pm

It was a rather warm day in Gondor a slight breeze blew in from the west making the grass and trees sway, but things were far from peaceful. A young elf sat under a tree, just outside the gates of Osgiliath, staring over the river at the gloomy cloud looming over Mordor, he had often come to that same spot to think. Today a lot was on his mind, although the people of Gondor hurried about their business, Caligo knew that he had to do something about the rising threat of Mordor. He rubbed his forehead with his thumb and forefinger trying to decide what he should do but alas he had not the slightest idea.

"I must leave this place get my mind on other things." He thought to himself "Maybe I can find relief in Minus Tirth. Something, anything to keep my mind off what the Dark Lord is planning. A man could drive himself nuts spending day after day pondering this. Well then it is settled I travel to Minus Tirth I could use the change of atmosphere. It has been some time now since I have last been to that great city, and I would enjoy the trip."

Caligo stood up a let a soft whistle to Ink whom was grazing peacefully not to far off. The horse jerked up it's head and trotted over to its master. "Ink, I know you are always ready for an adventure. Tomorrow we ride to Minus Tirth, but first we need to get supplies, it is but a days journey, but who knows what can happen along the way."

Cal
Caligo
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 pm

After Telemar had insulted hitharien, they all remained quiet for the rest of the climb. They followed the path Terelas guided them on and nothing happened to any of them, not even the bad-tempered Telemar. Days passed and when they finally came to a small crossing of paths, it was time for the man to decide whither he would go. All expected him to make for Rohan as he had said he would, and so he did. Their farewell was curt and lacking warmth. They had not been friends and especially since Terelas had appeared, they had all been tense because the Rohirrim was reluctant to follow him.

So they parted company and rode on without him. Further through the mountain did they go, some paths were difficult to climb, steep and slippery and rocky. Others were easy and they were glad of the respite.

Finally, when they had reached the foot of the mountains after a strenuous journey, the imagined they saw Minas Tirith and its tower, gleaming in the far distance. But it may have been a trick of the light, maybe it was wishful thinking. They rested a while in the mountain's shadow.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Caligo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:17 pm

It was the following day, slightly cooler than the day before and still that uneasy peace loomed over the people. Caligo quickly gathered up a few belongings into a bag along with some bread and salted pork slices. He grabbed his water canteen and headed out the door. Ink stood in the stable waiting for his master. Caligo quickly saddled the horse and loaded on his bag.

"We're almost ready to leave, I just have to grab my whip and lasso." Cal said patting the horse on the neck. He quickly tied the lasso to the saddle horn and put the whip on his belt. "Alright lets head out for Minus Tirth." Ink started up once his master had mounted and turned toward the southwest.

They rode along at a steady pace enjoying the fresh air and the new atmosphere. Around noon the two stopped and had a bit to eat, then continued on their way. It grew dark but the pair pushed on. The sun had completely sunken over the mountains by the time they reached the gates of Minus Tirth.

The days passed in Minus Tirth and Caligo once again grew restless. He had talked to the steward many times questioning what he was to do but never got an outright answer. Caligo busied himself around the town but his thoughts were never at rest.

Cal
Caligo
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:26 am

Finally, their journey came to an end.

Minas Tirith loomed up ahead, and the tower of Ecthelion shone gleaming against the sky. The company reached the Great Gate and made their way into the first circle. There they parted to look for places to stay and stables for their weary horses.

In her inn, Hitharien sat down to a hearty meal by herself. The crowd in the rooms was loud and she was unaccustomed to their manners and ways after being on the road for so long. At the same time she felt safe for the first time in in months, sheltered within the walls of the city. As she sat there after the meal, her fingers absentmindedly wandered to the locket.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Caligo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:40 pm

In the corner of the inn, at a table all by himself sat Caligo. He had a drink in front of him on the table, but had not even taken a sip. The crowd laughed and talked and drank their drinks, ignoring him completely. Cal sat quietly and comfortably in the corner of his booth. Then someone caught his eye, a woman also sitting by herself across the room. She was also very quiet, she sat with one elbow on the table touching some sort of necklace that was around her neck. "Some sort of traveler, I'd imagine." He thought to himself. "She looks tired and distressed over something." Just then a bartender walked by and Cal signaled to him to come over.

"Sir, would you be so kind as to tell me who that lady is over there?" Cal made a nod of his head as an indication of whom he meant. The bartender turned and looked then replied,

"Aye, that be just some traveler who stopped in today. Sorry lad I don't know her name. I hear she comes all the way from Rivendel. She came with some other fellows too, but I've not seen them yet."

"Thank you sir. I don't suppose you know what news she brings from Rivendel?"

"Sorry lad, but that's not my business to ask." He said then walked away. Cal nodded his head then looked over at her, wondering why she had traveled all this way from Rivendel.

Cal
Caligo
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:24 am

When Hitharien let go of the locket and let it slip underneath her clothing again, she looked around the room. Her eyes caught those of an Elf looking at her unflinching. Finally, he gave her a nod which she returned before getting up to leave. She sat down again. Why hurry now that she was in the White City? She was weary from the journey and longed for another mug of mead. Her comanions were probably doing likewise in their inns, enjoying the comforts of warm meals and cold drinks, not to mention soft beds.

Night was falling on Minas Tirith

Hitharien took her mead and stepped outside on the street where people were gradually making their way home. The streets were not as crowded as when she had arrived, and she felt she could walk freely again. She sat down on a low wall, sipped her mead, savouring the sweetness, and looked up to the stars.

A voice adressed her in the dark.
Silwen
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)