The Hunt for the Bride - A Word Aside

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 pm

It's fine, actually. She probably wouldn't have tried to pull her sword, but it gave him an excuse to get closer to her, so it works. He'll probably enjoy the challenge that she'll present. Not sure how much of the back story you remember, but she's survived the death of her life-bonded elf husband (she blames herself for his death), and recently was reunited with an old flame in Gondor, so she's not interested, but she's also not the type to stop a man from making a fool of himself, unless she thinks it will harm anyone (beyond the man's dignity, of course). And I thought that Tryn wanting to eat him all the time we travel together could be fun.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:34 am

Reading.... reading....

:horse:

I am feeling brave this morning. I dared to brush the cobwebs off a long-closed door and look in on the wedding thread. And I have tears (happiness? sadness?) in my eyes, It was such an amazing, intense, passionate experience, writing with you guys in there. Nothing can ever come close again, I know, and I am so grateful that time and place coincided that I could be part of it. I don't think I could ever forget.

I am sorely tempted to blow the dust off Culanir's surcote and set him riding again - as Hobbi and Lurea know, having been gossiping a little on Facebook. If I still have 'it' in me, it's residing in my knight of Minas Tirith.

Would it be hideously cheeky to ask for a plot synopsis?
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 am

Great to see you here Leoba, and I know what you mean about the original Wedding Thread. I reread it myself a couple of weeks ago and had a similar reaction. Even now you can feel the adrenaline people were writing with as they just 'reacted' to what was happening. The most emotionally charged RP event ever... and not just for the characters, but the writers themselves too.

I'll have a go at a plot synopsis from the POV of my characters, but I won't attempt the whole thing as I'm sure to miss out something vitally important (I probably will anyway!)

And as Culanir is intrinsically linked to this story, I'm sure it would be very apposite for him to appear at this stage.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leoba » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 am

Hobbituk wrote:And as Culanir is intrinsically linked to this story, I'm sure it would be very apposite for him to appear at this stage.

I hoped you might say that. ;) Culanir certainly has some unfinished business with a certain Bard of Belfalas, if I remember rightly. And, if my eyes do not deceive me, Erinhue is also lurking about at the moment so this could prove opportune.

I will read back over the thread of course but by necessitity it may be skim-reading. I also need to re-read a lot of my old Culanir posts and try his clothes on for size again. This could take me a while.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 am

So, from memory (i.e probably wrong)…

Previously in ‘The Wedding’…

Lurea had been kidnapped, Hobbi had given chase and been injured by the mysterious kidnapper. He was taken back to the LFI, where he accused Erinhue of letting him down and then (ever the diplomat) demanded to see Culanir who he accused of being involved in the whole thing. Culanir didn’t take too kindly to this and let rip at Hobbi… dredging up his past… his slightly dark and steamy past… with Lurea. Hobbi, being the thick-headed old fashioned Hobbit that he is, was overwhelmed with shock and almost had a heart attack.

When Hobbi regained consciousness (something that seems to happen a LOT in this story) things were kicking off elsewhere with Culanir and Erinhue getting into a somewhat epic fight. A worse for wear Hobbi took the opportunity to slip out the back with his pony, Matilda, and set off after the kidnapper. Meanwhile the fight had escalated and the Lucky Fortune Inn was in flames…

And in ‘The Hunt’, the story so far…

Attempting to cross the Misty Mountains alone in bad weather, Hobbi was rescued by Teltasarawen and Bryttar who treated his wounds, fed him and got him to the other side. At a clearing by a river Hobbi found a clue indicating that Lurea and the kidnapper had gone South and so, without a word to his companions (another SMART move…) Hobbi set off after them once again.

Meanwhile, Kut Ibboh (known as Kuti for reasons of absolute nonsense), the disgraced former Gondorian messenger and unwanted former customer of the Lucky Fortune Inn, has been hired by the kidnapper to play a part in his scheme. He (along with Nilrem the Falcon, his faithful companion), delivers a letter to a troop of Orc mercenaries living in the Misty Mountains led by a fearsome Uruk named Morg. The letter compels Morg to assist Kuti… which Morg is none-too-happy about. Their first task is to lay waste to a village of woodsmen and set a trap.

Hobbi walks straight into the trap and is instantly captured… although they are unable to kill him but cannot work out why. The reason is the gem which Erinhue gave to Hobbi following an incident back at the LFI years ago (yes, we totally worked that into the story… go us). The gem is currently in the possession of Tinu who is also heading south in pursuit of Hobbi, along with several others.

As Kuti and Morg are unable to kill Hobbi, they decide instead to take him back to their master. Kuti cannot think of anything else to do… and Morg is keen for revenge on the person who had the gall to gall to compel him to do his bidding.

They journey far to the south and across the sea to a small island with nothing but a bit of woodland and a castle. Inside the Great Hall of the castle they come before the kidnapper, who is Leonir. Hobbi is taken to a cell and Kuti sent to guard Lurea. Meanwhile, Morg attacks Leonir. A battle ensues between Leonir’s Orcs and Morg’s… and Leonir’s fearsome catbeast devours a finger from Morg’s left hand.

Meanwhile Kuti is watching over the unconscious Lurea and feels sudden remorse at having helped Leonir capture her. He has a ‘moment’ and decides to leave. In another cell, Hobbi is being tormented by Leonir who brings forth a young red headed girl, who was of course…

Melda - The Daughter of Culanir and Lurea

This is all a bit much for Hobbi, he has another heart attack and dies. His body is thrown out in the woods and discarded.

Back in the Great Hall and the fight is almost over, with both armies having nearly vanquished each other and the Catbeast running around playing merry-hell. On his way to escape, Kuti passes Morg and his Orcs in their battle to the death. Morg offers him money to help and as this was what got him into this mess in the first place… he accepts, leaping into the frey… with Nilrem the Falcon also joining in.

The Catbeast proves too fearsome an enemy and eventually Morg, Kuti and Nilrem are forced to flee into the labyrinthine (and suspiciously salty smelling) dungeons of the castle. Cue much chasing and wandering around in the dark.

Skipping ahead a little and after Kuti save Morg from certain death at the hands of a troll, Morg tells Kuti the way out of the labyrinth and they part ways. Kuti on his way out, and Morg still looking for Leonir.

Back above ground, Tinu and her companions (including Anorast, but I forget who else) arrive. The gem around Tinu’s neck glows and leads them to Hobbi who is brought back to life (it sounded much more plausible when it happened…) and the gem crumbles into dust. The gem only works because of Tinu’s love for the Hobbit but when he wakes up he says the worst possible thing, “Lurea” which upsets Tinu somewhat. Judging her job to be done, she leaves.

A much changed Hobbi heads back to the Castle where he bumps into Kuti on his way out. A fracas ensues, during which Kuti is knocked out (not Hobbi, for once) and Nilrem is killed ( sadface ).

Eventually Hobbi finds his way into the dungeons where he is ensnared by a room of illusions. Morg, who is immune to the illusions, appears and tries to free him but eventually he is rescued from afar by the young girl… Melda… who apparently is very powerful and breaks the vision. Morg and Hobbi now set off together, led by a trail set by Melda.

They are attacked at one point by Goblins of the deep and Morg retrieves a special knife which one of them is carrying… a ‘Needle of Isengard’. A weapon with the power opposite to its wielder… so to a very powerful person it would be useless, but to a weak person it would be very powerful.

Eventually they find Lurea, alone and tied up. Or so they think. This is, of course, an impostor. A sorceress with a glamour and all of Lurea’s memories. Morg and Hobbi do not know this and rescue her. After a brief argument with a fire demon and an incident with a shadowy beast, they are at last above ground.
Morg finds a small rowing boat and wishes to move on straight away, but ‘Lurea’ has been injured by the shadowy beast and Hobbi refuses. Morg leaves with the boat, but they stay and Hobbi makes Dock Leaf and Nettle soup in the hope of reviving her. Things are a little strained and awkward between them, but they make small talk.

Morg is about to leave in his rowing boat when he is approached by Kuti. He has found a ‘better’ way off the island and thinks Morg might be interested. It is a big boat, a Caravel, belonging to Leonir and crewed by several nasty looking Orcs. Morg single-handedly attacks and upon killing the Captain he is named by the Orcs as being the new Captain of the ship… The Black Bog.

And that’s about it.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leoba » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am

Wow, Hobbi, thank you. :D I knew about Melda, although of course Culanir is totally oblivious, but the rest of it is new to me.

I have sent Lurea a FB PM (and I should have copied you in :oops: ) to have a chat about where this is going and what you might want from me. In turn what I think I need from you is the opportunity to redeem Culanir's honour, if I can possibly manage that, and to resolve the antagnoism between him and Erinhue; the two may be mutually exclusive goals.

I think I also need to have a dig around SB's Challenge (now that is an old thread) and remind myself of the origin of Culanir's issues with Erinhue and history with Lurea.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Turelie_Lurea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm

PatriotBlade wrote:It's fine, actually. She probably wouldn't have tried to pull her sword, but it gave him an excuse to get closer to her, so it works. He'll probably enjoy the challenge that she'll present. Not sure how much of the back story you remember, but she's survived the death of her life-bonded elf husband (she blames herself for his death), and recently was reunited with an old flame in Gondor, so she's not interested, but she's also not the type to stop a man from making a fool of himself, unless she thinks it will harm anyone (beyond the man's dignity, of course). And I thought that Tryn wanting to eat him all the time we travel together could be fun.

PB, sounds like we're mostly on the same page. A lot of the other stories will probably be a little melodramatic or serious, so I thought that maybe the Lady Heather and Marius storyline could bring some comic relief, at least until meeting up with the others. By then, they should be settled down a bit :wink: I do recall the loss of Heather's elven husband...was the reunion with the old flame in this story? I seem to remember some interaction with another character here. The idea of Tryn threatening to eat Marius would be great--even better if he eventually voices it aloud, so Marius can hear. Promise Marius won't cause any harm, but he may threaten it :wink:

Leoba, you already know how much I'd love for Culanir to return--how many times over the years have I tried my best not to pester you about it, but sent a few subtle hints via email/Facebook? :D Erinhue is indeed around and apparently working on a post (Hue: is it almost done? I can't wait to see what you've come up with!) Take all the time you need...we're not as fast-posting as we used to be :wink: I think we can figure out a way for Culanir to regain his honor, and to have it out with Hue. If nothing else, Culanir and Hue could have their fight, and later Culanir redeems himself? Would something like that satisfy both? I'm glad you're looking through SB's Challenge--I'm drawing from some of the smaller events and storylines in that thread, so you may start to recognize some things I'm writing here.

Hobbi, that's what I loved so much about the RP in the days of the Wedding and the Hunt--everyone reacting to the surprises, leading to more authentic reactions of their characters. Some planning is nice, but I'm always leery of too much planning in RP...a story sometimes loses something when there is no spontaneity (my husband would laugh at this--he thinks it's funny that I love spontaneity and surprises in writing when I'm the least spontaneous person on the planet in reality--I LOVE to plan EVERYTHING to the most minute detail...I feel that I can be less OCD here). Enjoyed your summary...I'll add to it a little for Tinu (only 1 minor correction that I can think of at the moment--I need to reread The Hunt again...). I think you hit most of the major points in this story, except for storylines that don't involve your characters. If I have time, I'll add some of those as well.
Turelie_Lurea
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't think Culanir will be spoiling for a fight. Remember that he is a man of honour, for all his violent temper when sorely pressed. What happened at the wedding will have shocked and saddened him to the core, once he had time to get away and reflect on it. So I don't know what he would do if he were to see the Bard again (we will have to wait and see and it will depend on the circumstances); I imagine that he would be in danger of doing himself some disservice because he was ashamed of his behaviour, if that makes sense, but that does not mean he'd be swinging fists around again. ;)

I must go to bed! 11:40pm and I'm on TORC and I still have to get the (clean) nappies out of the washing machine before bed. :nono:
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Turelie_Lurea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Since Hobbi has covered the earlier parts well, I'm not going to add much there...instead, I'll focus on some of the "more recent" information for Tinu and Lurea (too much to list here, unfortunately...there are a lot of subtle clues throughout, especially in Leonir's and Lurea's posts--many can be tied back to SB's Challenge)

Hobbituk wrote:
Back above ground, Tinu and her companions (including Anorast, but I forget who else) arrive. The gem around Tinu’s neck glows and leads them to Hobbi who is brought back to life (it sounded much more plausible when it happened…) and the gem crumbles into dust. The gem only works because of Tinu’s love for the Hobbit but when he wakes up he says the worst possible thing, “Lurea” which upsets Tinu somewhat. Judging her job to be done, she leaves.

It was Anorast and Leslie-ElfWarrior with Tinu. I haven't been able to get a hold of Anorast to see if he wants to return (his character was last seen in the Room of Illusions...I think we left him there, since we weren't sure he was coming back). Leslie doesn't seem to be on the boards anymore, so she has "disappeared", like many others.

Actually, the glowing of the Hobbit Protector was only when Tinu was holding Hobbi...the way she found him was through the heaviness of the necklace and the sapping of her strength:

Tinu slowly got up with the help of Anorast. However, her strength was gone and she could not step forward of her own volition. Anorast picked her up and carried her over to the lifeless hobbit.

Still sobbing, Tinu lifted the tiny torso up to meet her own and hugged the dead hobbit. The Hobbit Protector, unifying their two pure hearts, began to glow white until the two of them were enveloped in an eye-searing white.

Tinu felt peace and happiness flowing through her every limb and into the lifeless form of the hobbit she loved.

"Please, Eru, save him. I love him with a pure heart. Bring him back to us," Tinu prayed aloud, her voice suddenly strong and resonant.

She hugged him even more tightly, strength returning to her as her love took over the weakness within.

Suddenly, there was a spark and a jolt as though lightning had struck the two of them. But rather than sundering them, Tinu held on to the hobbit even more. To her surprise, the little arms hugged her back.

Soon after, Tinu left for the West, deep in depression, but supported by Maelan, the Maia. On the way, she remembers a promise she made to Lurea long ago--that they were sisters of the wood, and that they would always look out for one another (never mind that Lurea has broken that vow too many times...).

Tinu returns with a strength and resolve to find Lurea that has never been seen in this delicate elf. Maelan sends a dark chestnut horse to Tinu when she lands at the mainland, and she rides in search of Erinhue. Meanwhile, Erinhue is drunk with self-pity and self-loathing, forgetting who he is in a pub. In a drunken stupor, Hue receives a vision from Melda, who warns him that the Bad Elf wants Agarak and that she has asked him to remain quiet to keep him safe. Hue wakes up and cleans himself off (that smelly Bard of Belfalas!)

At this time, Lurea dreams of Hobbi, who she believes is dead. He morphs into Culanir and she explores her feelings there. (page 19, Lurea's first post on the page)

Tinu sees part of a battle--it is Erinhue fighting with the Berserker. She tends to his wounds after the battle and Clarion disappears from Erinhue's injured hand.

Lurea has memories that belong to another--Lucinthe--the sorceress with a gift for glamours. There are some memories of a woman with a scar coming to see Lucinthe and Lurea recalls her own scar--which is strange, because she has lost her own memories, so how could she know this?

Hobbituk wrote:Eventually they find Lurea, alone and tied up. Or so they think. This is, of course, an impostor. A sorceress with a glamour and all of Lurea’s memories. Morg and Hobbi do not know this and rescue her. After a brief argument with a fire demon and an incident with a shadowy beast, they are at last above ground.

Sorry, misread this the first time...I thought you had FireBeast, not ShadowBeast at first. This is where I thought there was a minor error. My bad!

When they find her, Morg shoves Hobbi toward Lucinthe/Lurea, the hobbit touches her, bringing a vision: Visions of a great battle filled her mind's eye, blinding her to the hobbit and orc's presence. Four shadowy figures--two impossibly tall mortal men, another mortal man, and one petite figure with bare feet--stood before The Master, their souls linked in a common bond of love and friendship. The Master grew in size as well, but his power was weakened and he could not sustain the strength he had enjoyed before this great union was forged. The rest grew hazy and indefinite before her eyes...she could know no more at this time.

Waking from the vision, she whispered softly to the air, "The evil shall be defeated by four mortals, not one."
(originally three, but if Culanir is indeed in, I'm guessing he'd like to stand there and redeem himself)

Lurea sees more of Lucinthe's history, including burning at the stake for her "indiscretion" with a married man, but she is rescued by a dark force of some kind--something that has enslaved her. So, maybe Lucinthe isn't as bad as she may seem. Still more to come in her history...and another tie-in to SB's Challenge...meanwhile, Lucinthe is enjoying Lurea's memories, especially of the LFI and her love for the hobbit. She uses these memories to strengthen the bond and keep her cover.

Marius is somewhere in Middle Earth and has met up with Lady Heather and her dragons after a fierce sandstorm sent by Leonir to slow them down. Perhaps Leonir had some idea of bringing Marius and Heather together, to see if they will survive one another? :wink:

Some descriptions of the island where Leonir is:

The winds were against them as they rowed, but as they drew closer to the island Tinu knew must be there, it suddenly leapt up before them in its terrible hideousness. It was barren of good, she concluded as her sharp eyes looked for the cool lushness of a typical island in this part of the world. It was certainly dark, but it was a dark magic obscurity, not just the shade from tall, dense trees.

Everywhere they looked, there were sharp cliffs, no place to dock their boat. So, they continued their reconnaisance, rowing around the island. Finally, they found a narrow opening covered with the forboding forest.

Not knowing precisely where to go, the trio walked into the woods. If the hobbit were held captive anywhere, they figured that it would be there.

The trees bowed down toward them, leering. No light shone through the gaps--all were devoured as though there were infinitely many black holes stealing every bright sunbeam.

***a better description to come, when I've found it.

Leoba, makes sense about Culanir's time for reflection :) Oh no! Save the nappies from the machine demons--they are too precious to lose to another dimension :wink:

PB, after reading the very first post in this story, I realize now that Lucinthe would not have any of Lurea's jewelry--he tore Hobbi's family heirloom from her and took the Heart of Diadron for himself.
Turelie_Lurea
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 am

That's okay. Because of the accidental bond Heather made with her during her vision, Heather will still be able to expose the "imposter".
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Re: The Hunt for the Bride - A Word Aside

Postby Turelie_Lurea » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:58 am

Just saw Erinhue post in the wedding with a mysterious message...does that mean he's ready to play again? :-D

Thanks to Bardy, Leoba, Kaya, and several others, my muse has been jump started and she's itching to write. Feel rusty and need to find some notes to myself (reminders for when muse reappears), but want to write again.

Hobbi, you still around?
Turelie_Lurea
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Hail and Hiya darlin' long time no see and all that. I resurfaced the thread as reference for the Mithril Knights tale but I would love to start this one up again. :wink:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Turelie_Lurea » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Missed ya Hue :hugs: Real life drags me away from here, but I still often think of everyone. By the way, I believe it's your turn to post :wink:
Turelie_Lurea
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am

Gosh, I completely missed the posts from you guys. As I'm sure you know by now, I'm ready to write on this whenever you guys are.

:)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leoba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:15 pm

I may genuinely be up for it too if my knight can navigate a route in. Just as soon as I've dealt with Leoba I will be thinking about Culanir again I'm sure.
Leoba
Mariner

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)