Teherin's Secret

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Khorazir » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:05 am

Túrin had watched the guardsman's prank with a grin, which turned into a smile when he saw Derin step forth. While Dolthan had taken it evenly, the dwarf did not seem amused at all, although his frown soon turned into a look of embarrassment when his eyes fell on Visilya.

"Hello Derin," Túrin greeted him jovially, giving Dolthan a courteous nod. "Sorry for disturbing your meeting, but the King asked us to fetch you two." Turning to the guard who was still watching the dwarf curiously, obviously waiting for some kind of reaction – or for the thunder to break loose – he added, "Thank you for leading the way. I'm sure we'll manage to find the way back to the royal quarters on our own."

With a long glance at the group, and with obvious reluctance, the man left. Túrin turned back to Derin and the Dúnadan. "Don't mind that fellow. We weren't quick enough to stop him. That's guards for you, eh – no offence meant, of course," he swiftly added to Derin. "Guess at some point you should give these kids a lesson of how proper guards are supposed to behave. You seem to rise hourly in the King's esteem, Master Derin – to now be included in most secret plans and discussions. Don't look surprised if I say that. I know Elessar doesn't employ his own kinsmen and personal guards on trifling errands. And since there's been quite some uproar here lately ... Anyway," he pointed along the corridor, "shall we?"

+++

"I will," Faramir returned gravely, reaching for her hand and squeezing it gently, before raising it to his lips to brush a soft kiss over it. Her words and counsel had touched him, restoring hope and confidence more swiftly and thoroughly than he had thought possible, and reminding him once more of why he loved her so much. Putting his arm around her shoulders and drawing her closer to him, he smiled gently as he looked at her.

"You said you do not feel strong, and yet here you are, cheering me up. If this it not strength, what is it? For apparently I could do with a good portion of it."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Teherin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:58 pm

Teherin waited until Turin and his wife had left on the King’s errand, and then gracefully inclined her head in thanks.
She was never sure what the proper etiquette for being in the company of His Majesty was, but her thoughts were currently on matters other than courtly behaviour.

‘I thank you your Majesty, I have just recently partaken of a light meal, but I would be most grateful of some hot water, should that be available’.
The healer sank back into one of the many comfortable chairs in the waiting room, she composed her thoughts ruthlessly, she needed to be alert and to understand the King’s proposal to her, as well as attempt to discover the darkness in Lady Éowyn’s past.
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:36 am

Wordlessly Elessar walked to a small table in the back and proceeded to fill a small carrafe with hot water that was in a larger one right beside it. He put the carrafe and an ornate cup on a silver tray and brought both of them over to the woman.

He continued to be silent observing Teherin keenly, his expression gentle, but concerned. "You appear very fatigued my lady." He finally remarked at last and noted that the woman's shoulders seem to droop at the comment.

"Many things have happened as of late. But with the strength of the Goddess I will be all right."

Is this really important right now Aragorn? He chided himself. The Healer looks like she could use days of rest! He sighed and instead of returning to his chair behind his desk, he sat himself down next to her crossing his long legs.

"I ask your forgiveness Teherin." He began softly. "For I can sense that indeed much has happened and you truly need some rest. And it must seem to you that suddenly everyone wants to meet or talk to you!"

He was glad that her humor remained as she grinned warmly at the comment. "I am here to serve you, your Majesty. In what way can I assist?"

The King sat back for a moment collecting his thoughts. "You do me a great service just by being willing to share your healing talents with my citizens. And yes, in particular, Turin and Eowyn." He quickly added lightly and she grinned softly again.

He grew quiet again for some time and then suddenly asked her, "What do you know of the Morgul Campaign?"
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:59 am

As Túrin, Visilya and the guard approached Dolthan's place, Imhar shrank into the shadows to watch.

"Open up! In the name of the king, you are under arrest," called the guard, and Imhar's heart skipped a beat. What was all this about? He was not worried about his main source going to waste, no. He was far more concerned about his new friend. In his heart he was a good man, no matter what drove him to his treachery.

For treachery it was, he knew. But he had no time to think about that now, straneg things were happening before his eyes. What could he do if it came to the worst and Derin was taken prisoner? He should try to free him, get in between him and the guard, anything - but he couldn't. He might be foundout and he could not do anything to endanger his task, or his wife. What would they do to his wife? No, he had to stay in the shadows and watch whatever happened. He cursed himself, not for the first time, for the unfortunate turn his life had taken.

To his surprise the guard began to laugh as his prank was unmasked. I'll show him, thought Imhar, partly enraged and partly relieved. The fool! It seemed as if that man had not yet understood the seriousness of Gondor'S situation.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Lady_of_Rohan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:58 pm

Éowyn smiled at him. "Was it not only this morning that you drilled me over the meaning of the word 'portion'?" she asked. "Perhaps I should do the same for you. What do you mean when you say it?"
Lady_of_Rohan
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:45 pm

For a moment Faramir was taken aback by her reply, then he laughed. "You got me there, I fear. Admit it, you were actually waiting for an opportunity to repay me for my teasing this morning. Very well. If I was interested in sending you to sleep right away, I could give you an account of how exactly the word is defined in the tongues we use in Gondor, but since this would require me to do some extensive thinking which I feel incapable of right now, and would endanger me to fall asleep right beside you, I shall put it off for another occasion."

"But fact is," he added quietly, and now his face took on a more serious expression, "that I do admire you for your strength – the strength you claim you do not possess. It was one of the first things that struck me about you, back in that garden at the Houses of Healing. Even though times were dark and desperate indeed, and you had little hope they would improve – I recall you describing a "dark abyss before your feet" – nevertheless you did not give in. Perhaps this is a Rohirric trait, and yet ... it seemed especially strong in you. I sometimes wonder how I would have fared without you all these years. Not very well, I reckon."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_of_Rohan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:05 pm

Eowyn looked away, letting his words work through her mind. She could take his teasing in stride, but there was something about his confessions that managed to trip her up. Especially one like this. How can you accuse him of not caring about you when he admits this?, she thought. How many times in the past has he sought you out for comfort and peace like he has today? More than once. There were other places he could have and probably should have been this afternoon, but he was here, with you. Someone will make him answer for that.

She felt him squeeze her hand gently after a few moments. "And I do not know how many years I would have lasted without you. Maybe not even one," she said quietly. "You were the one who healed me during those dark days before the end of the war. I would have been lost without you," she said as she rested her head on his shoulder. Before he could reply, they heard a knock on the door.

Haleth entered and, doing a curtsey, said, "My lord, lady, supper is ready for you, if you wish it now."

Eowyn looked up at Faramir. "Shall we?" she asked.
Lady_of_Rohan
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:36 am

Faramir smiled and kissed her brow. "Need you ask?" Then releasing her hand he carefully stood, to find that the short rest had lessened the dizziness. He was still weary, but the acute exhaustion he had felt immediately after his struggle with the Palantír was gone. Offering his arm to Éowyn, they followed Haleth into the dining room. He noted that now and again the servant was giving them quick glances, while all the time smiling slightly to herself, as if she was pleased with something. He wondered about that.

As they drew near to the other room an aromatic smell of herbs and fresh bread wafted towards them. Also there was something else, causing him to smile when he recognised the scent. When Haleth opened the door to the dining room which was lit with many candles, he realised how dark the other room had been. The table was set for two, although the food, he thought, would suffice for a lot more. And what food!

There was a thick, creamy soup with mushrooms and parsley; freshly baked bread seasoned with thyme and rosemary and other herbs from Ithilien; a plate with sea-fish baked in a special kind of dough; field salad with roasted ham and onions; several kinds of cheese and olives and fruit – from somewhere they had even organised some blueberries, although the time for them was long past. Also there was another cake, with hazelnuts and almonds this time, and the strange, dark, aromatic bean-like fruits that came from the far South, and that roasted, ground and mixed with honey and milk had become a fashionable drink in Gondor lately.

"I hope this will do," Haleth said, almost apologetically, while watching his reaction carefully. "We had to improvise a little." Here she cast a glance at Éowyn who managed to keep her face almost impassive.

Faramir turned to his wife, with a mock-serious expression. "So this was your doing? Causing the poor servants to roam the fields in this weather to pick mushrooms? Or the woods, rather. They must have ridden as far as the Lossarnach border to find this kind."

"We did what we could, lord," Haleth said, beaming now.

"Then please convey my thanks to the entire staff," Faramir told her, quite touched by the effort the cook and her helpers had gone into to conjure up such a splendid meal in such a short time.

"You must thank the lady, as it was her idea, lord," Haleth said.

"I shall," Faramir replied, and leaning to Éowyn he kissed her cheek. "Thank you, melda," he said softly. "And not just for your supper-arrangements this evening."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Teherin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:02 pm

Teherin received the hot water gratefully whilst seated. She smiled at the king, thanking him for his kind words, assuring him that her skills were always available to him and his subjects in whatever way she was able to provide them.
But his question threw her completely off balance
"What do you know of the Morgul Campaign?"

Startled, the healer looked up into Aragorn’s earnest and intense face. Her own eyes a mask of astonishment and surprise. Looking away, she frowned, trying to make sense of the request …
‘Very .. little your Majesty. I know of the Campaign .. that it has happened and that the place is somehow connected with the Lord Faramir …’. Teherin paused, a still, small voice seemed to beckon within her, deep inside, nudging towards a thought, towards an association. Morgul … Morgul …

Suddenly, a flash before her eyes, of darkness, of evil so deep and so ancient that it turned her stomach. Blanching, she drew away from it, recognising that it was the elven heritage that she had only recently discovered that recognised the evil for what it was. And then she saw Éowyn, blood streaming from wounds, girded in mail, with darkness enfolding her in its deadly embrace.

Gasping, Teherin’s huge, almost black eyes turned towards Aragorn’s …
‘It is the evil there that it somehow with her … it is still with her …. Oh Goddess …. ‘
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:02 am

The King was next to the Healer in mere miliseconds and knelt down. "I am so very sorry." He apologized his voice gentle and deep. "I did not mean to hurt or frighten you..."

His voice drifted off as he touched her arm because an image suddenly flooded into his mind. Darkness. And evil so malginant he felt his stomach turn. And then an image of the Lady Eowyn girded in mail, blood streaming from wounds being taken in by the darkness...

Elessar blinked rapidly and leaned back. Taking a deep but shaky breath his gray eyes gazed searchingly into Teherin's. "An image just came to me... Just now..." He shook his head unable to speak for a moment. He noticed the woman's eyes widen at the mention of the image. "Did you just see it too?" He asked.
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:46 am

Dolthan and Derin entered the courtyard. The white tower of Ecthelion seemed to glow, pointing to the sky. They passed the White Tree in its splendour, and went past the guards to the king’s chambers.

“There are voices inside,” said Derin, stopping Dolthan from knocking. “Perhaps we should wait.”

“We were sent for,” was the only thing he said before briskly knocking on the door. The voices ceased and footsteps appraoched them from within.

Derin felt a sudden unease as they waited, as if they were being observed. He turned and scanned the area, but nothing out of the ordinary was to be seen. Not a soul seemed near them, and yet the Dwarf was certain they were not alone.

The door opened and Túrin stood before them. Past him Derin saw the King, Visilya, and Teherin. ‘More women!’ He sighed inwardly. But his reluctance was quickly replaced by earnestness. He knew that serious matters were being discussed, it was in the stones of the walls and the floor. He sensed the heaviness they take on when matters of import are about to happen.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:16 am

While Túrin and Visilya set out swiftly, to return to the King and tell him Derin and Dolthan were on their way, those two followed more slowly. Before he rounded a corner, Túrin thought that both were watching their surroundings very carefully. At first he assumed they were looking for the guard who had played a prank on them, but then he thought that perhaps something more serious lay behind their watchfulness. After all, the recent events showed that even the Citadel was not a safe place anymore.

When Visilya and he reached Elessar's quarters again, they were told by the guard standing in front of the door that Lady Teherin was still with the King. For a moment they hesitated, not knowing if it was wise to interrupt them as surely they were discussing matters of great importance. Then Túrin knocked nevertheless, and after a moment Aragorn's voice admitted him.

They found the King kneeling next to Teherin. Both looked rather shaken, especially the healer. Visilya went over to her, looking concerned, and Túrin closed the door behind him. Glancing at Elessar, he asked: "What happened? More bad tidings?"

But before the King was able to reply, there was a brisk knock on the door, and Derin's voice announcing their arrival. Túrin opened the door again to let in the dwarf and the Dúnadan, then turned to look at Aragorn again, awaiting his reply.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby gladrieltook » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Visilya knelt by the healer, and took her hand. It was very small and pale, compared to her own, and deathly cold. "Lady Terehin... You look as if death herself has tugged at your sleeve." She took the healer's other hand and rubbed them together, slowly reviving the color in the slender digits. "Now tell me what has troubled you so..."

Terehin looked uncertain, then softly told Visilya what she had seen. Visilya's eyes widened in fear. "No... you must be seeing the past... She fought the Witch King in the Great War..." She rocked back on her heels, then sat back on the floor, dropping Terehin hands. "You must be seeing the past, healer. Nothing is going to happen to Eowyn while I still have strength to draw a sword." Her own eyes betrayed her, for fear, an emotion rarely acknowledged by the proud woman, had brought a glassiness to her tempest eyes. "I've never believed in fate, Teherin... So why am I filled with fear now?"
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Teherin » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Teherin felt the power of her vision pass to the King, felt him share in the horror of the cloud of evil that pressed down over Éowyn … she heard his voice and shook her head in reply … then felt Vissilya run to her aid – at her words, she lifted her head and widened her eyes …

The Lady Éowyn .. had fought the Witch King ? Even she, as a country nobody, had heard of this vile and evil being. No wonder the Lady had darkness in and around her .. carrying so much history, so much pain.

Teherin heard Vissilya’s words and reached her own hand out, held Vissilya’s hand in hers and said quietly .. ‘My Lady - fear is often Fate's strongest weapon. I do not doubt that your courage will overcome this as it has all your foes in the past. But sometimes unknown realities are more dangerous than known fears ....

The healer then arose and faced the King -

‘Your Majesty … you asked me about the Morgul campaign – of that I know nothing, no more than what is whispered amongst the guards and serving people. A healer has no need for tales of death and evil. But it must be important to you given that you have asked me here to talk of it. Therefore I would beg you to let me know what you would have of me. For I feel that this campaign is indeed of interest in that it is associated, in some way I cannot fathom, with the fate of the Lady Éowyn, her husband and her unborn child. And This is of the utmost importance to me and to the Kingdom you preside over.’

The healer smiled, tempering the impact of her words to the one who was, after all, her king … but she knew he would understand the urgency … she dropped her voice.

‘Your Majesty the ritual is to be held tonight – I know in my heart there is something, some small and seemingly insignificant piece of information that will be vital in assisting us to ensure that the outcome of the ritual is positive for all parties ….’

Teherin looked at the King with honesty and desperation – but at the same time with power and certainty that she never knew before she had. For a moment, she felt lost and alone, but then certainty surrounded her and she felt the strong guiding hand of Estë through her words.
Last edited by Teherin on Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:36 am

Elessar's expression was grim as he surveyed all those in the room. "You are complete right, as usual, in your observations Healer." He remarked at last his voice low.

Suddenly Aragorn felt very weary and light headed. He closed his eyes to gather his composure and was startled when he suddenly realized he was sitting down with Dolthan and Derin at his sides, and expressions of extreme concern on the faces of all in the room.

He attempted a wan smile. "Forgive me." He apologized glancing at Teherin. "The vision you saw..." He broke off as the weariness seemed to return. So strong was it this time that he actually let out a tired breath and dropped his head for a moment!
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

Postby Khorazir » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:22 am

At Teherin's reminder that the ritual was going to be held this very evening, Túrin exchanged a worried glance with his wife. Suddenly he felt anxious. The healer looked tired, and moreover seemed deeply troubled by something. Not the best basis for something as complicated as the ritual.

When Éowyn's fight with the Witchking and a possible link to Minas Morgul was being addressed, he nodded darkly to himself. Even down in the Harad where by that time he had still been confined, rumours of that duel had been heard. Later, upon his return Túrin had been told the full story, by Éowyn, although he was sure she had not told him everything, since only remembering the event seemed to cause her pain, and he had not wanted to increase it by further inquiries. From Faramir he knew, however, that each year in Sulimë at the anniversary of the battle, the memory lay heavy on Éowyn.

He was startled out of his reveries by Elessar's reaction. Of a sudden the King was overcome by weariness. Luckily his guard and his kinsman were at his side in an instant. Túrin went over to where the flagon with water and some cups stood, filled one, and brought it to Aragorn, hoping it would revive the other somewhat.

"I don't recall when I heard this exactly," he said, watching the King with a concerned expression, "but I seem to recall that not long ago Faramir or someone else mentioned the possibility of this curse on Éowyn was caused by something she received as a wedding-gift."

He glanced at the healer. "Or was it you who said that? I don't remember. However, I recall wondering if whoever bestowed this gift on her did so to avenge their former master – the Witchking. I mean, who else would have been able to lay their hands on magic so dark and terrible? And wasn't Minas Morgul the Witchking's own city? What if some shadow of his presence, or some old servant of his lingers there still, and continues to weave dark and deadly spells? He didn't put it like that when we spoke about his experiences in Minas Morgul, but I think that's what Faramir believes as well. And for someone who's experienced his own share of Black Breath or however this strange affliction was named back during the War, no wonder he's had such a tough time in Morgul Vale."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:40 am

The King took the glass with a greatful glance at the young man and sipped its contents slowly.

"I have long thought such as you Lord Turin." Aragorn finally remarked his voice now heavy with weariness. "And tis no secret how much Farmir and his family mean to me and my kingdom..." He drifted off and closed his eyes again.

Dolthan clasped a firm hand on his shoulder. "You are beyond exhaustion kinsman." He said with tender reproach. "The events of this city have affected us all and that includes you." He raised his head to look at Teherin.

"Like the King I too have the blood of Numemore in my veins. And I can sense Healer that you have been through amazing strain since coming here. I loathe to ask this of you, but can you do anything for him?"

And by him everyone knew the man meant the King.
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

Postby Teherin » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:39 pm

When the King stumbled and then collapsed, the healer felt her reactions immediately take her over – concerned, she rushed to his side, but her weakened state meant that others reached him before her. She deferred to those who had aided Aragorn before her, but reached into the rumpled and much used leather scrip, to find her bag of herbs, her deft fingers soon located the restorative power of angelica. Turning, she found the cup that the King himself had just passed to her, with still warm water, and crumbled the herbs within, whilst softly whispering a prayer of offering to Estë.

Turning again, she was about to ask leave to approach the king, when Turin’s words cut through her thoughts and concentration ….
Her head reeled, there was so much information here that could affect the outcome of the ritual, Teherin was certain that this was the start of her journey to understanding Éowyn and what tied her to the darkness surrounding her present and future.

The healer turned to respond to Lord Turin, ‘ Indeed my Lord, your words are correct …’

But one of those who was helping the King to rise, turned and requested her direct assistance. His reference to her recent experiences were somewhat unnerving, but Teherin had learnt in her long years as a healer, that words from a stranger must not dim her focus or her intent, so she hid her confusion beneath the calm façade of her profession, and turned her dark eyes on the kinsman of the King.

‘Most certainly, good Sir, I will do all in my power to assist his majesty. ‘ she bowed her head and approached the King who looked at her with a shared worry.

‘My lord, please drink of this cup and it will assist you to regain some focus and some strength. I am certain you are aware of its effects as my learning has told me of your many talents in this area ….’

The king nodded, his eyes never leaving hers, but the healer lowered her gaze, before continuing.
‘If I may, I could attempt to provide some further respite, but that will involve touch … if your Majesty is agreeable with this ?’

Teherin kept her voice even, even as she felt the pain arise within her once again, the memory of hatred and defilement, that had produced her. How could she still be worthy of her Goddess’ blessing …
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:44 am

Aragorn shook his head to clear it at the same time realizing something was very wrong. With Teherin. With himself. With the whole Mogul Campaign.

He looked up at the Healer unable to hide the overwelming concerns from his eyes. "Anything you wish, my lady, is yours. I know not what's overcome me..." The King drifted off as another wave of pure exhaustion washed over him. He blanched.
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

Postby Teherin » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:12 pm

Teherin heard the King’s response, it called to her healer’s soul and forced her to cast aside her doubts … all she could do was serve the Goddess she had devoted her life to, and trust that the Valar was as merciful and forgiving as she had been thus far with her devotee.

She approached the king, seeing colour briefly return to his ashen face, but then with her nearness it was as though a terrible knowledge passed through him, and he once again looked as though he would faint.

The healer knelt down in front of him, she felt a strange, tenuous link, perhaps through his Numenorean ancestry calling to her elven blood, perhaps the closeness that he had always had with all things elven, including their magic … she bent her head, laid her hands upon his temple and closed her eyes, closed her awareness to everything but her own breathing, and the king’s. She slowly tuned her breathing to his, compelling her spirit, her own senses, to sink into the depths of his being, to follow his soul-line down the winding path to the source of his weakness.

Her head sank low, mimicking his. Her breathing grew shallow and slightly laboured, the healer was finding her path, through the wilderness, to find the king.

Gently Teherin allowed her finely tuned senses to become aware, to seek out the smallest cause of her patient’s current status. Reaching out, she found a well of darkness, a pulsating mass of puss-like dark that usually denoted disease. But this was different, this was no sickness of the body, this was a gradual eroding of the mind, in a way that was completely new to her. At first, she recoiled from it, her heightened awareness disgusted by the ugliness that pulsed and roiled within, but Teherin had never shrunk from pain or disease in her healing life, taking the power and belief and faith that drove and sustained her, she reached in and touched the dark mass that was poisoning the soul of the King she served.

Images, flashing before her. Doubts, fear, pain … darkness, evil – an evil that had touched so many that he had loved and cared for. Faramir – hurt and betrayed. Éowyn, lying in a pool of blood, her body almost broken … Teherin felt control of her own senses begin to leave her as the cesspool of decay began to creep through and into her own being … she moaned, shaking her head, fighting the entrance that the tendrils of despair were attempting to place on her own soul. Muttering a prayer to her goddess, she dug deep within her own self, secure in the knowledge that this was what she had been born to do … whatever her past had been, denying decay and despair a hold on her and on those she cared for, was what she had always been born to do.

Slowly, she began to feel the strength that had never been denied to her, the faith that she had always had in Estë, seep through her, like a slow seep of mead glowing through her …. She felt the darkness stop, falter and slowly withdraw … but it was still there, within the king, feasting on his doubt, on his fear and on the pain that he had been through with all who had come into contact with the evil of Morgul …

Teherin was calm now, she let the power wash through her, gathered it up and slowly circled around the darkness, weaving a dome of healing power around and over the broiling well of darkness. Chanting a prayer of thanks to the Vala who she served,

Teherin sealed the dome and slowly withdrew, becoming aware of herself again, pulling her essence from within the king, back into her own tired body, and slowly opened her eyes.
They were pools of black – the pupils totally immersed in the iris, dark as night. She was tired, oh so tired, and she needed Him … Sîrel, oh Sîrel where are you her mind cried out to him, needing the comfort that he always gave. But he was not there ….

Turning her head, she noticed the concerned and frightened looks of all in the room, including the dwarf who was not sure what to make of her.
Grabbing the cup with hot water, she drained it and thanked Turin as he quickly refilled it for her.
The king looked more peaceful, the dreadful pallor had gone from his face, he lay on the ground, supported by his kinsman, but his breathing was deep and regular, as if sleeping.
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:15 am

As he watched the healer tend to the King -- who in fact was a healer himself, which made what was happening right now even more stunning to behold --, once again Túrin found himself marvel at her unique powers. He stepped closer to Visilya and silently reached for her hand. Without Teherin, he knew, he would not be standing here. They would not have been married, and he would have died on the very day he now considered the happiest of his life.

When the healer finally withdrew, looking utterly spent, he swiftly fetched the flagon of water to refill her cup, wishing there was something else he could do for her. It seemed unjust that she worked herself to exhaustion, while they only stood by, watching and marvelling.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby gladrieltook » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:37 am

Visilya felt unsure. She was a soldier at heart, and seeing her king, the bastion of strength, weak and pale, robbed her of courage. She moved on her knees toward his inert form, and looked to the Healer for reassurance. "Will he be alright?"

The healer nodded, her eyes eerily black. Vislya nodded in return, biting her lip.

Turin stood by her now, and she took his hand, and rose. Teherin had done so much in these past months. She had brought Turin back to her, she fought the darkness that threatened to take Eowyn, and now she banished the darkness from her King. Visilya touched the other woman's shoulder gently.

"Lady Teherin, your strength is a wonder to end all others."
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Teherin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:07 pm

Teherin felt dizzy and disorientated. She needed to rest, but she knew that the King would want to finish his conversation with her, in fact, she sensed that it was necessary to hear him out.

Her ears caught the kindness in Vissilya’s words and she smiled weakly ‘My Lady, my strength is in the hands of Estë – I am merely her vessel .. and it is in the strength of those who I help – our King is a strong and noble man, but no one can fight darkness alone. And this darkness least of all .. it is an ancient and malevolent evil, so strong and so deeply rooted that I fear I have merely contained its spread, not destroyed it ….’
She faltered, the memory of the darkness .. of the whisper of corruption that had echoed through her soul, was suddenly overwhelming.
Teherin sat down hard, there was something else here .. something that she was going to need to look into in more detail – for the whisper had sounded familiar. Something in the magic was not as strange to her as it should be.

The healer accepted yet another cup of water, and dug into her leather scrip for he herbs. He fingers caressed the stitching, searching for something of comfort as a child searches for its mother at times of crisis.
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_of_Rohan » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:52 pm

"You are very welcome, for everything," Éowyn replied, returning his kiss. "I thought you would appreciate something nice for supper, especially after such a difficult day as this promised to be. Although," she said, surveying the table, "I must say that this exceeds even my expectations. I only asked for a few of your favourites, not an entire banquet." Now she smiled at Haleth. "Thank you, this is excellent." The scent of the fresh-baked bread was particularly wonderful, she thought, and stirred her appetite. This was the first time in several days that she had felt really hungry, another indication that the child within her was growing.

Faramir helped her to her seat and then sat down himself. "Did you also request the privacy?" he asked.

Éowyn shook her head. "No, this is a bit of a surprise, considering how popular our table has been these past few days. I almost expected someone to show up." She looked over the steaming dishes and trays. "In fact, I think we almost need a few guests tonight, because I doubt it's possible for us to eat all of this, unless you want to look as round as I will be soon."
Lady_of_Rohan
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Thu May 05, 2005 9:46 am

Túrin glanced from Teherin's bowed form to the King, then to Derin and Dolthan who stood by, and to Visilya, before his eyes came to rest on the healer again. "Is there anything we can do for you, my lady?" he asked quietly. "You are right, no one can fight the darkness alone – including you. And you've done so much already. You need to rest, or else you're going to work yourself to complete exhaustion." Noticing that she was fingering her bag, he inquired gently: "Do you want me to fetch Sîrel?"

+++

Faramir laughed softly at her words while helping himself to some soup and bread. Haleth had left, after making sure there was nothing lacking and that she would not be required to wait on them.

"Now this would be an interesting sight, would it not?" he said, grinning. "I remember you complaining, not long ago, about me having lost so much weight during my stay in Morgul Vale. Well, I guess I could indeed do with a little more, yet not even I could possibly dispose of all this food. But I reckon we need not worry. Give them another half hour, and our friends will show up. Túrin and Visilya have not visited yet, nor has Maradir, and I expect any of them to come over presently. And knowing them, they will not decline a good supper. A most excellent supper, in fact," he added, after tasting the soup.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Teherin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:52 pm

Sîrel …. The word echoed through Teherin’s consciousness, harshly rebutting her concentration and bringing with it the bitter sweet pain that was now associated in her mind with the Noldo.

Her eyes filled with tears … and the healer turned away, astonished at her reaction. She must be very tired to have shown such emotion to those around her ….

Quietly, trying in vain to control her pain, she answered :
‘No my Lord Turin, I would not want to inconvenience him .. I am sure he has other, more important , events to see to. I … ‘ and her voice faltered suddenly, so that Teherin was forced to take a sip of her healing drink just to continue .. ‘I thank you for your concern but I do not think that Sîrel will be wanting to be bothered with my concerns at this time.’

Teherin arose, his name lingering on her lips, a caress such as those he had fleetingly given in words and looks … she closed her eyes again, unable to stop the tears, but letting them flow, knowing that she was unlikely to get another chance to allow herself to feel the pain, knowing that soon all feeling would need to be locked away as she prepared for the ritual later that night.

Returning her attention to the king, Teherin masked her emotions skilfully once again, the brief lapse subsumed into her healer’s role.
‘How fares his Majesty .. does he awaken yet … I believe he still would like to talk to me before I leave to prepare for the ritual …. ‘
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:52 am

Aragorn had awoken his mind clouded, but his spirit calmed. His eyes registered concern over the Healer as his Numeorian blood told him something was truly troubling her. He decided now was not the time to aproach her, however.

He was about to speak when he heard the woman ask about him. "I have awakened." He remarked his voice very soft and sounding extremely tired. He smiled quickly when all eyes turned towards him.

"You have been through much my Kinsman." Dolthan's low voice remarked from behind him. He felt the man's hand warmly grasp his arm.

The King nodded slowly. "We all have Dolthan. We all have." He caught Turin's gaze and his heart gave a slight skip as he saw the young man run a finger over the scar on his throat.
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

Postby Teherin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Last edited by Teherin on Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby Teherin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Teherin looked relieved and visibly relaxed on seeing the King stir and awaken. She grasped the event as a way of sidelining her own worries.
As was to be expected, all around him responded as he stirred and his tired smile was a balm to many of those worried looks.

Teherin noticed that he looked intently at her and she kept her gaze steady, knowing that his remarkable powers of intuition could grasp her discomfort and deep sadness, but not wanting to share such with him in this weakened state.

‘Your majesty, we are much relieved to see you awake once again … you will undoubtedly continue to feel tired, but I am certain that your own knowledge of herbs and healing will assist you .. a few hours sleep would not go amiss either …’ she smiled sadly, knowing this was unlikely for either of them that night.
Teherin
Ranger of the North

Postby AragornElessar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:58 pm

The woman's final comment made the King's smile broaden if only briefly.

"You are correct on all accounts Lady Teherin." He replied his voice sounding weak and strong at the same time. He let his gaze wander around the room again until it came to a rest on his kinsman. Aragorn could feel the bond between them and he knew the appreciation of said bond showed in his eyes.

"Alas, as much as I would love to, I must not stay here all night." He quipped trying to inject some humor. Others smiled, but he knew that it did not take away the stresses of the past.

"If you would be so kind as to help me to my chair." The King requested as he tried to sit up. Dolthan, behind him, offered support for his back.

Aragorn had no more started to rise when a horrific wave of nausea swept over him. Images blurred, his head pound, and he found himself gasping!
AragornElessar
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)