Elbren's Challenge---The Pillar of Heaven

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Elbren » Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:43 am

The Elf stood at the ready, shining chain mail glistening in the mid day sun, his sword drawn in his right hand, and his shield, bearing the standard of Lothlorien, in his left.<BR><BR>Upon his head was a helm gifted to him by the men of Gondor, upon his arms, vambraces and bracers from the fair lands of Dol Amroth...<BR><BR>He waited to see if the orc would find the courage to stand forth and draw weapon.
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Fen » Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:35 pm

No orc moved. Instead Sauron's Lt. moved forth. (After receiving his 500 post he changed his name to Fen for those of you that are new.)<BR>The wraith drew forth his mace.<BR> "Come puny elf I wish you death."
Fen
Shield Bearer

Postby Elbren » Sat Dec 02, 2000 2:09 pm

(OOC-well, this challenge was specifically for our friend Orc#5063 from the "post war" over at the Welcome boards, and takes place in the 4th Age after Sauron's fall)<BR><BR>Elbren set his jaw firmly when he saw the Orc stand back and hold his ground. As I surmised, thought the Elf, the Orc has no legs for battle, only tongue for words and mindless banter.<BR><BR>Then the one calling himself a Wraith and Lieutenant of the fallen Sauron stood forth, holding a mace of black iron.<BR><BR>"This is the mindless one," said Elbren's brother, Glorelion, stepping to stand beside his brother, "he still believes that the Nazgul walk and that the Lieutenant of Sauron survived the fall of Barad-dur."<BR><BR>"We know this cannot be, Brother, for the Nazgul fell into nothing when Sauron was swept away, and his Lieutenant among them, so who or what is this man?" Elbren asked, sizing up his opponent.<BR><BR>Glorelion studied the dark man, "A man, an Easterling, probably, who knows something, perhaps, of the Dark Arts, and mayhap with this little knowledge, somehow has taken as Lord over these few orcs that remain in Mordor. I am sure the orcs would take anyone who even had a smidge of intelligence over their own."<BR><BR>Elbren nodded, "An Easterling, aye, he has that squinted eye look and the build of those foul people, well, once I have dealt with him, then mayhap the orc who calls himself 5063 shall stand forth and meet the challenge."<BR><BR>Glorelion stood back with the host of Elves as Elbren strode quickly to meet the dark man.<BR><BR>The ring of metal filled the afternoon as Elbren's sword was met with the black iron of the mace, twice it rang out, until the Elf met the mace again, held it fast, and then pushed it to that the Easterling's arm went wide. With his shield arm, Elbren brought the flat face of the shield up and slammed it into the man' face, crunching the cheek and jaw bone and sending blood from the wide would that resulted just below the Easterling's eye.<BR><BR>Elbren stepped lightly back then as the mace came grinding forth, whishing past the Elf's face, and then back again quickly, smashing into Elbren's sword arm before the Elf could recover and step aside. The mace met the chain mail and vambrace, denting them, but driving the chain mail rings deep into Elbren's arm flesh, causing tiny rivers of blood to begin running down his arm.<BR><BR>The Elf's arm went numb for a moment and the Easterling stepped in to deal another blow, but Elbren saw that coming, and took the top of his shield and brought it up into the Easterling's breastbone, knocking the wind from the man's body and causing him to waver. With that, Elbren brought his sword over and down upon the Easterling's right arm, cutting deeply down into bone and sinew as the Easterling howled in pain and rage.<BR><BR>The Easterling switched his mace to his left hand and came at Elbren again, smashing again and again into Elbren's shield. The Elf continued to retreat, allowing the Easterling to tire himself with this futile offensive. Finally, when the Easterling stumbled, Elbren did not let the moment go unnoticed.<BR><BR>He let his shield fall away and the power of the Easterling's own stroke brought him to his knees into the dust. Stepping nimbly aside, Elbren brought his sword down upon the man's neck and neatly cut away his head from his body in a single stroke.<BR><BR>Black blood gushed onto the dirt of the field as the head rolled to the side, finally coming to rest some feet away.<BR><BR>Elbren then returned to his position in front of his people. He turned again to the orcs, "Again, I say to thee, my challenge is for the Orc who calls himself 5063, stand forth, and take my challenge."
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:39 pm

As the sun sets and the orcs retreat, never having taken the gauntlet and come forth, the Elven forces make camp and set guard. Elbren doubts now that the Orc will ever find the courage to face him, but he will give it one more day...
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:07 am

As dawn broke upon the day, the Elven host awoke and burst into song, prepared for their Second Awakening in Middle Earth. Elbren and Glorelion gathered their host and made their challenge line again. Yet, across from them, there were no signs of the orcs at all. A broken camp, scattered with their filth and stench was all that remained.<BR><BR>Just then, a messenger rode up, a Rider bearing a Shield of Rohan, "Greetings! I come as emissary to let you know that Riders doth approach and will join you in your challenge to the foul orcs."<BR><BR>"Thou art welcome," Elbren smiled, offering the Rider some breakfast, "as are your folk. We shall finish our work with the orcs here, pursue them if we must, in our Awakening to wipe them from Middle Earth forever."<BR><BR>The Rider broke his fast with the Elves as they discussed how many Riders were coming and whether or nay they should pursue the orcs in force or send out parties.<BR><BR>Scouts were sent out by the Elves to track the orcs as far as they dared and report back...
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Fen » Sun Dec 03, 2000 3:38 pm

Sorry I once was in your shoes I'll go now.
Fen
Shield Bearer

Postby Iman » Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:14 pm

As dawn broke, the Riders of Rohan gathered upon the field to begin another day of march. Their leader was a woman, whose name was Iman, and she was valiant, for she was brave and courageous and loyal to her King.<BR>"It would be about 20 leagues to the battle now," Iman said to Galmar, her friend who fought beside her at every battle.<BR>"We have come far through the night and the scouts have brought good news. The battle hasn't begun yet. Apparently their leader, the orc that talks a lot, hasn't appeared yet." Galmar said with a smile.<BR>Iman replied with a grim smile:<BR>"Do not be so quick to judge things my friend. Let us ride forth straight after breakfast. We know not what may happen while we tarry here. <BR><BR>Two hours after the break of dawn, the Riders set forth.Their shields gleamed in the new sun and their green banner flew in the breeze as they prepared their horses.<BR>"Our messenger must have reached them by now," Galmar said to Iman.<BR>"Yes. Come let us ride now to battle and let our swords shine together again." Iman said gazing over the field.<BR>And with a healthy pace, the Riders rode.<BR><BR><BR>
Iman
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:11 pm

The Elven scouts reported back by noon that the orc host was still close by but in hiding. Elbren gathered his warriors together and split them into two parties. One was sent out to trail and harass the orcs as they ran, and the other were to remain as the main Elven host. Word came that the Rohirrim were riding hard and that other allies were indeed enroute as well.<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Sun Dec 03, 2000 8:46 pm

Messengers arrived in the night, Elven they looked, and the guards were amazed, for their golden hair and language showed them to be of the Noldor. Messages were quickly dispatched to Elbren of their arrival; and he, post haste, sent word for them to be brought to his tent. As he stepped out into the moonlight to greet them, he was amazed to see them bearing the Standard of the House of Fingolfin!!
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby roninscot2 » Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:27 pm

Fionwe Noleme of the house of Fingolfin stood forth and embraced Elbren as kin long sundered. He turned and raised his hand towards the large company of elves bearing lances and swords, bright mail and the flowing blue and silver banners of Fingolfin. "Not so many as I might have brought in the elder days or against the hosts of Mordor, but valiant Noldorin warriors, and that is much. Too long, indeed since the Last Alliance, have we kept to our hidden halls in the north of the Ered Luin. We have aided the Rangers of the North many times since, but have not come forth in open force since quietly riding at the rear of the van of the host of Gil-galad to do away with the Pretender. You may have heard the whisperings. Snow-elves we're called by those who are not counted among the wise. Our dwellings are within caverns near to the great Icebay. We are still a hearty people and have found ways to dwell happily in that cold place. For who will say that the people of Fingolfin have not passed the test of cold? We have heard that the orcs stand forth as a power unto themselves. We could not put down the Morgoth. It was left to the Newcomers and the Perian to deal with the Pretender of the Morgoth. When will the rebirth of evil end? The last of the Noldor of Middle-earth say NOW!!" And with that the lances and swords of the company of Noldor leapt up and reflected the moonlight and were as the stars of the northern sky.
roninscot2
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Tempest » Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:42 pm

Tempest received news of the summons and settled back on her horse in silence. If any prying eyes would have seen her at that moment, they would have sworn they were looking upon a Queen of Rohan. They would not have been far wrong, as she was of Rohan, although now considered a traitor. Her hair caught the light of the sun as she turned her dark eyes to the orcs around her. <i>"Tell me, slave,"</i> she called to a nearby orc, <i>"Where is Orc #5063? He and I have conspired together in the past, but now in our hour of glory, he is not to be found! Go at once and find him! He and I must ride forth under the banner of Mordor this day!"</i>
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:49 pm

Elbren returned the embrace of Fionwe and was in awe at the host of Elves before him. He listened to the words of the Noldor in silence, his mind whirling with the realization that brethern had dwelled in the North for so long. <BR><BR>"My host is not so large as yours, Lord, for as you know, the Galadrim are slowly leaving the Golden Wood and either seeking the Havens or going to dwell in Imladris. But these orcs are without leadership, or were, and are at the moment running for their lives. I have a small garrison pursuing them and sending word of their location. Join our encampment, for we are all fortified and the guard is keen eyed and watchful, no one will come upon us unwatched, lest they find wings and can fly on high."<BR><BR>With that, Elbren invited Fionwe into his tent and together, they spoke long into the night of their plans as they waited for the eored of Lady Iman to arrive with her forces.
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:58 pm

A man walked in to Elbren's tent, apparently unhindred by the guards that remained. "I noticed that quite the host have gathered here. Allow me to represent the Maiar, for I am kin to them, and one of only two left in these parts. I know not where Radagast my cousin is, but there should be one of us here, to bear witness and give aid in this battle."
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby roninscot2 » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:17 pm

Looking into the clear light of the elvish lantern Fionwe said,"It was with sadness that we heard of the uprising of the orcs. It seems this orc5063 has some knowledge in leadership and the harnessing of the chaos of evil. Yet my heart forbodes that ere long we will find the shadow of evil Men behind this. And now I have more of an understanding in the sadness of Iluvatar for Men and the strange choices and influences they have upon Arda. Trust not all Men who swear allegiance to elves. Few men of Middle-earth today can claim descent from the Three Houses of the Edain, and remember the lesson hard learned by Maedhros at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. I hold any man not of the three houses a possible foe, for had not the men of the east under Ulfang the Black betrayed the elves, the fifth battle may have gone differently. And I remember well the death of Fingon that day."
roninscot2

Postby Elbren » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:30 pm

Elbren greeting Asaris warmly, clearly delighted to have a Maiar there to advise and witness these new and strange events in ME. He listened to his kinsman, Fionwe's, advice and nodded, remembering his father telling him of the fall of the noble Finrod.<BR><BR>"We shall be cautious in this, Lord Fionwe, and use patience to strike, for time is on our side," Elbren sent for wine and food, "I expect word from my brother, Glorelion, who leads the hunting party, and then we can know more plainly the mind of our enemy."<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby roninscot2 » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:40 pm

"You are Istari then," said Fionwe to the newcomer. "Still Manwe aids those of Middle-earth when their need is great. Mithrandir guided the minds and hearts of the free peoples during the last struggle. Fortunate are we indeed to have a Maia for counsel and succor. Whosoever spirit are you? Of Aule? Of Orome? Of Nienna wherefore Olorin came? Tell me what news of the east of Middle-earth, nay possibly the Blessed Realm you may have. And what may we call you?"
roninscot2

Postby Tempest » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:45 pm

Tempest welcomed the fleeing orcs into her now growing army. <i>"Take heart, my soldiers! Soon we will conquer these pathetic creatures and take back what is rightfully ours! For too long you have been oppressed, hunted like dogs and killed mercilessly. But no more. We shall make a new nation, the likes of which has never been seen before on this earth. For Mordor!"</i> She was met by a cheer as the orcs were stirred to passion. She smiled slightly to herself as she raised her eyes to the heavens and sent a silent curse against her enemies. <i>"Send out a detachment to ambush any scouts from the enemy. They may think we have retreated, but they will find they are mistaken!"</i>
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Orc#5063 » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:55 pm

Suddenly, his Glorious Riders at his flanks, their helms and arms shimmering, Orc#5063, Supreme Commander of the Armies of Mordor, rides out of the darkness to meet the challenge of the Elf-Scum. Standing at the edge of the camp, he calls out<BR><BR>"Elven-Scum! Know that I would ignore your weak-voiced plea for a conflict, but I have had Tempest herself request my presence here. If Elbren wishes me to kill him and wipe his stench from Middle Earth, I will gladly do it. If you truly wish to die, then you have learned a valuable lesson: the Elves ALL must fall or repent. If you wish, Elbren, I will forgive your insult. However, if you wish swift death, I will gladly grant it to you. What say you?"<BR><BR>(Hee-hee, my sig isn't very RP, is it?)
Orc#5063
Ranger of the North

Postby roninscot2 » Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:31 pm

Fionwe leapt up and ran towards the tent flap. Pulling it open he looked back at Elbren and said,"They attack at night as is their wont! My company shall flank to the left unseen, for I believe these orcs do not realize that the Noldor have come and I would see the surprise in their eyes when they hear the battle cries of the elder days." <BR>Fionwe then ran towards his lieutenants calling,"Noro lim, noro lim Noldor!"
roninscot2

Postby Sir_Don_Huono » Mon Dec 04, 2000 1:36 am

Hearing the call, men of house of Feanor rise and prepare for battle.<BR>Filthy orcs shall feel the burning wrath of elven steel.<BR>
Sir_Don_Huono
Ranger of the North

Postby Iman » Mon Dec 04, 2000 2:24 am

As the host rode, Iman knew that something was amiss. She felt the oncoming battle would not be without a surprise. She could feel the presence of one she had once known; it was familiar. And yet she could not comprehend it. <BR>They went on for 10 leagues without a rest. <BR>"We must make haste now," Iman said to her lords. "Something is going to happen, I can feel it." It was already 3 o'clock.<BR>They covered another 12 more leagues until the setting of the sun when scouts they had sent forth returned, reporting that the army of orcs appeared now to be led. <BR>They stopped again and took a brief rest. There were still two more leagues to cover. They came upon a few orcs that had fled from the first call of battle.They were slewn.<BR><BR><BR>
Iman
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:34 am

The scouting party swiftly dispatched messengers back to the main camp with the position and speed of the orc host, (OOC--orcs on horseback in shining mail? hehe, c'mon 5063? mounted orcs? LOL)<BR><BR>As the Noldorin host took up position, word came that the Rohirrim were approaching. A messenger was sent with haste to Lady Iman, informing her of the enemy's position and to take position opposite Lord Fionwe. <BR><BR>Elbren's host armed themselves and moved out to face the enemy head on. As the enemy continued to plod onward, seemingly unaware of the trap, Glorelion's party returned, three Elves less than they had taken.<BR><BR>"Foul orc arrows took three of us as we passed them, but they, as yet, have no sign of the Rohirrim. We passed a great host of Elven folk to the East, who are these?" Glorelion asked.<BR><BR>"Noldorin, brother, led by Lord Fionwe, and now we have Asaris here to counsel us," Elbren replied, watching for the orcs to arrive.<BR><BR>As the orcs continued on, their flanks were marked and followed.<BR><BR>"Orcs on horseback?" Elbren exclaimed at his brother's report, "What madness is this? What horse would suffer such a horrid creature to ride upon it?"<BR><BR>As the sun rose and dawn once again came to Middle Earth, the Galadrim host saw the orcs approaching across the plain, (we haven't said where this is, have we? How about near Fangorn, near the Gap of Rohan?) Elbren had his archers move forward and take position, and as the orcs approached, seemingly without caution, they let loose a volley of arrows to greet them with blood and pain.<BR><BR>Warriors with shields stood behind the archers, preparing to form a shield wall. After three volleys or arrows had been loosed and some of the orcs had tasted the barbed metal, the archers moved to either side of the Elven army and the shield warriors moved forward, forming a solid shield wall as the mounted Elves waited just behind them.<BR><BR>"Hold your position until they mark their line!!" Elbren shouted.<BR><BR>He rode before the shield wall, brandishing his sword, waiting for the orcs to form their line, as they always do, and wait for their master's orders.<BR><BR>As the sun burst completely upon the sky, sending golden rays of warmth dancing upon the arms and armour of the Elves, the Galadrim began to sing, high and clear, and they were answered from within the depths of Fangorn...<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Mon Dec 04, 2000 9:13 am

And then the hideously large and foul Orc Lord stood forth from his ranks and shouted, ""Elven-Scum! Know that I would ignore your weak-voiced plea for a conflict, but I have had Tempest herself request my presence here. If Elbren wishes me to kill him and wipe his stench from Middle Earth, I will gladly do it. If you truly wish to die, then you have learned a valuable lesson: the Elves ALL must fall or repent. If you wish, Elbren, I will forgive your insult. However, if you wish swift death, I will gladly grant it to you. What say you?"<BR><BR>Elbren paused in his riding and stared at the orc. He was large, almost trollish, and if anyone stank, the greatest odour seemed to be coming from his direction, not Elbren's!! (;p Orcky!!)<BR><BR>"Why would I seek your forgiveness?" Elbren shouted back. "Thou art a vile and grotesque mockery of my own kind, pitiful in that you have no origins other than of darkness and Melkor's own envy of the One, Iluvatar. Would I seek swift death from thee? I come not to seek that, but come instead to take yours and send thee to the pit of darkness from whence thou came."<BR><BR>Elbren rode closer to the Orc Lord, his horse dancing with excitement, until he drew rein some feet from the foul stenched yrch.<BR><BR>"What say you, Yrch? You have not even a name to take with thee when thou falls! I grant you now to take a name, so that when you fall, the songs will at least remember thee with something other than your stench and your hide."<BR><BR>Elbren rode around the orc in a circle as he saw the anger flash in the orc's small, black eyes, "Speak and choose swiftly, for my patience comes to a close, Yrch! Would'st thou now meet me in single combat, or shall we loose the hosts of death upon thee and you and I seek each other amidst the blood and iron?"<BR><BR>The orc said nothing. Elbren studied him a moment as their eyes met. For a disturbing split second, Elbren saw deep within the orc the roots of his origin and knew that somewhere, deep within, the Elven blood still sang in him, but it was not a foul song of confusion and hatred. Hating He who had made them; and hating those who still walked in the Light and were fair to look upon.<BR><BR>Elbren broke the gaze and galloped back to his host, raising his right arm, sword in hand. Turning back to the orc host, Elbren shouted, fair and clear, "Prepare to meet thy end!!"<BR><BR>As his arm dropped, the shield bearers of his army broke swiftly forward and ran into the orc midst, keeping their wall intact. The mounted warriors broke left and right and began to attack the flanks of the orc host with zeal and cries of "Elbereth!!!" Blood began to flow in rivers as both orc and Elf fell.<BR><BR>Elbren was trying to fight his way to the Orc Lord, hacking and slicing the orcs at his stirrup, when he heard the trumpets blowing in the cold morning air...<BR><BR>Elbren wondered, was it the Rohirrim or the Noldorin?<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:46 am

But they were not the trumpets of Rohan or the Nordorin. Tempest had been watching the orcs' progress from the dark fringe of trees at the edge of the battle field. She raised her hand to give the signal and soon the trumpets began to blare out in the clear air. Horses broke forth from the trees and the surrounding hills, pouring into the field to help their comrades. The horse bore swarthy men from Harad and older Mordor. Huge trolls ran beside them, left over creatures from the dark days of Sauron. Sunlight did not harm them, as it did their weaker brethren, and they made up the time to the elves in large strides. Tempest observed the general confusion that seized the Elves and other fair creatures as they realized the new peril that faced them. <BR><BR>But what she truly wished, was that the armies of Rohan would be destroyed. Mordor had trained her as a spy from the time she was a child, when she was kidnapped from her village in Rohan. After the war, she had tried to return, but had been driven out as a traitor. Mordor welcomed her again, and now she was determined to wipe out all the beauty she had been deprived of. Her heart was very dark, but her face was fair, and many of her victims never realized her treachery until it was too late. <BR><BR>She laughed aloud and withdrew further into the trees. Let them fight for her; she would not raise her sword unless the tide turned against them again. <i>"Send out spies and scouts across the land. Try to find out what our enemies are planning. I fear there are more soldiers on the horizon, and we must be prepared."</i>
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby roninscot2 » Mon Dec 04, 2000 11:33 am

Fionwe and his company of Noldorin warriors broke upon the left flank of the orc army, their lances carving a furrow through the waves of orcs and trolls as distant trumpets rang across the plain. Not without loss however. Glindor, who had helped lay stone for the city of Gondolin, was grappled by a huge troll and crushed. Amlas who had walked the ramparts of Tirion upon Tuna fell, pierced by many orc arrows. The Noldor still held the flank but at great cost, for these orcs fought with a determination and skill that Fionwe had not seen before. As the elves began to regain the upper hand more orcs and a few trolls poured forth from the nearby forest. With the farsight of the elves Fionwe peered toward the eaves of the forest, looking for more enemies, and saw a lone human figure watching the battle with apparent delight. A woman with a glamour or enchantment about her. Yet Fionwe could perceive her true form and remembering his warning the night before to Elbren knew this woman to be somehow their enemy. She it was that had brought these new foes to the field. Fionwe passed command to his son Turond and began galloping towards the figure in the trees..........
roninscot2

Postby asaris » Mon Dec 04, 2000 11:38 am

Asaris ran out from the tent with Fionwe. "Your questions I cannot answer in full now that battle is on us, but call me Asaris." <BR> <BR>Fionwe nodded grimly as the Noldor prepared for battle. Asaris called out "Redwind, to me!" and a glorious roan stallion galloped up to him. Asaris mounted him in one motion and drew his sword, Grayswandir. As the battle began, he fought alongside Fionwe, and the two were a scythe of death, cutting through the orc ranks like they were butter. Grayswandir glowed with a red light, and the orcs it cut down burst into flames and turned to ashes. In the excitement pouring through him, he passed entirely through the orcish army, and so it was Asaris that first noticed Tempest coming on their flank. He called out in a voice that rang out over the battlefield "'Ware, O elves! Trolls to your left." He then rode back into the fray, bearing towards the new opponent. And as he fought he sang a song that none recognized, but that put doubt in the hearts of the orcs, and renewed faith and courage in the hearts of the elves and Rohirrim.
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Mon Dec 04, 2000 11:39 am

Asaris ran out from the tent with Fionwe. "Your questions I cannot answer in full now that battle is on us, but call me Asaris." <BR> <BR>Fionwe nodded grimly as the Noldor prepared for battle. Asaris called out "Redwind, to me!" and a glorious roan stallion galloped up to him. Asaris mounted him in one motion and drew his sword, Grayswandir. As the battle began, he fought alongside Fionwe, and the two were a scythe of death, cutting through the orc ranks like they were butter. Grayswandir glowed with a red light, and the orcs it cut down burst into flames and turned to ashes. In the excitement pouring through him, he passed entirely through the orcish army, and so it was Asaris that first noticed Tempest coming on their flank. He called out in a voice that rang out over the battlefield "'Ware, O elves! Trolls to your left." He then rode back into the fray, bearing towards the new opponent. And as he fought he sang a song that none recognized, but that put doubt in the hearts of the orcs, and renewed faith and courage in the hearts of the elves and Rohirrim.
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Mon Dec 04, 2000 12:39 pm

The trumpets heralded a new and bloody onslaught. Elbren was dismayed to see the new host pouring forth from the forest. He ordered his brother's mounted warriors to leave the right flank of the orcs and ride hard to meet the new horde of trolls and orcs. Seventy or so Elven warriors on horseback broke from the main fray, led by Glorelion, and galloped to meet the new enemy.<BR><BR>Elbren ordered his mounted warriors back and then had the shield wall move forward, pushing the orcs ever backwards as Fionwe's flank assault drew closer. The main orc body was about to become fodder between the two Elven hosts, pressed in from the front by the shield warriors, and on the left flank by the Noldorin host.<BR><BR>Elbren then rallied his cavalry back towards the right flank and poured in with a vengeance, cutting down orcs in their weakened state from the midday sun, and then retreating for yet another charge.<BR><BR>But the new host from the forest was taking many casualties, and Elbren could see that Fionwe's Noldorin warriors needed aid. Where were the Rohirrim? In the distance, even with all the dust stirred from the battle, Elbren could see Asaris riding like the wind, rallying the Elves and taking many orcs and men with his blade.<BR><BR>Where was the orc lord? Elbren wondered. He had not seen him since the battle had begun. Another charge of his cavalry took two more Elves, but they had nearly cut their way to the Noldorin host, indeed, the orc host was falling and some were even starting to run, only to be cut down by Elven archers.<BR><BR>Elbren ordered more shield warriors into the fray to finish the orcs while he took his cavalry and galloped to join Fionwe and Asaris.<BR><BR>The field was heavy with both fair and foul faces, black blood and cries of pain, and Elbren's war cry was scalding as he urged his horse on towards the trees. He met with one of the trolls, who, with a single blow, knocked Elbren's shield from his arm and nearly ripped him from his saddle. Turning his horse sharply, Elbren raised his sword and came down on the troll's shoulder, biting deeply, but the troll's tough hide resisted any mortal damage.<BR><BR>The troll reached up and pulled Elbren from his horse, howling in rage, and threw the Elf to the ground, raising his mace to crush the Elf's skull. Elbren was dazed and tried to reach for his shield, but as he did, the troll fell heavily upon him, knocking the breath from his body and cutting his cheek with a deep gash.<BR><BR>Then Elbren felt a hand jerking him upright. It was his brother, Glorelion, who continued to pull Elbren upright and then practically pushed him back on his horse, Andros. Glorelion then grabbed Andros's rein and turned them from the heart of the battle.<BR><BR>"My thanks," Elbren finally stammered, wiping his cheek and finding his hand covered in blood.<BR><BR>Glorelion handed Elbren his shield back, though it was somewhat dented and had a new curve in it, and simply nodded. He looked at Elbren closely, "Can you hold your seat?"<BR><BR>Elbren nodded, "Aye, I can, let us ride!"<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Mon Dec 04, 2000 1:37 pm

Tempest watched the battle with annoyance. Even with the new wave of orcs, the elves still outnumbered them. <i>"How far is Ulgot and Unitog with their armies? We need their numbers now, or this battle may be lost to us."</i> Her voice was harsh and her aid trembled as he said, <i>"They are still half a day's march from this place."</i><BR><BR><i>"Send out a summons to all our brethren, both orc and troll, and tell them to rally their forces. The elves are determined to wipe us out, and if we do not join our forces, this may well be the last battle."</i> The message was sent, and Tempest observed an approaching regiment from the fray. She cursed silently to herself. They must have seen her. <i>"Prepare to fight! It looks like we have visitors. Watch our front! Draw them into the forest, and we'll deal with them as they deserve!"</i>
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:45 pm

Elbren and Glorelion's mounted warriors joined in with the Noldorin as the main orc host was finally crushed by the shield walls. The fighting renewed in intensity, dust and blood soon covering the soldiers on both sides. The tide was held tightly, neither side gaining the advantage, and still Elbren hoped for the Horns of the Rohirrim to sound...
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)