Ye Olde Pony Express RP Classifieds Here! UPDATED 5 Oct

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Do you find Ye Olde Pony Express helpful? (You can check off more than one option, as I'm interested in broad feedback, not in percentages)

Yes, I check it regularly.
16%
Yes, I check it only occasionally.
12%
I'm interesting in finding new writers to join me.
9%
I'm here out of curiosity but this thread may be useful to me in the future.
60%
I can't see much use in it.
4%

Total votes : 57

Postby Impenitent » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:36 pm

Toby scribbled down a note on Lindar's notice: "Still seeking adventurers," and straightened the board before returning behind the counter to enter the new jobs in the ledger.

He heaved the heavy, leather-bound ledger onto the counter and noticed the paper at the far end. He pushed up his spectacles and retrieved the paper, his eyebrows up high with surprise - he hadn't seen anyone enter. He peered around the shopfront but there was no one other than Lantherien sitting quietly under her hood.

He turned his attention back to the paper, which turned out to be a notice, just as expected. The note was scrawled hurriedly, with no attention to spelling or grammar and a disapproving frown slowly creased Toby's face as he read through it..

This notice by aeglos_ml was NOT up to the standards required by The Prancing Pony, but perhaps the RPer was new and unaware of the standards of English that were upheld. Toby sighed and went about re-writing the notice, correcting the spelling and punctuation, laboriously untangling the grammar and trying to make the notice sound as enticing as possible. He muttered under his breath.

"Why won't people read the requirements? They're up on the boards, as big as big..."
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby annaerual » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:40 pm

Ursula parted the nasturtiums in the flower box and peered through the small window at the front of the shop. Then, stooping slightly, she opened the round door and walked inside. The beorning moved somewhat stealthily, automatically silencing the bell before it tinkled to announce her arrival. With an effortless shrug, she slipped the pack off of her back and onto the counter.

Toby looked up, over his spectacles, and smiled in recognition.

"Greetings, Tobold, it has been a while. How is your honey supply doing? Still using it in your coffee?" Not waiting for a reply, she pulled out three jars. "I've got clover, apple blossom, and elanor honey. The elanor honey is especially delectable."

As Old Toby examined each jar, Ursula examined the notices: "skilled warrior", "dagger fighter", "excellent warrior", "magic ring wielder".... and sighed. The adventures looked promising, but there seemed to be no place for a honey gatherer with no weapons other than her wits. Her beorning fur and claws came in handy for raiding beehives, but she never used them on others. Smiling wryly, she picked up a piece of paper, dipped a quill into the inkpot, and carefully printed a notice.

"Ursula Beornsdotter, peaceful honey gatherer, humbly seeks a likeminded group with which to adventure. Good tracker, botanist, navigator, seamstress, cook (vegetarian) and nanny. Interested in scientific quests and explorations, preferably in lands devoid of orcs.

Pinning the notice firmly to the board, she turned to look again at Toby. "Well, that's done, now to catch up on local news. What have you been up to these days?"

EDIT: Whoops! Used the wrong name, now corrected.
Last edited by annaerual on Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annaerual
Shield Bearer

Postby Impenitent » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:16 pm

"I've not been doin' too badly, Miss. Business has bin brisk so there's not much time for me garden, more's the pity. How's about a cuppa tea, eh? Nob! Hey Nobby! Bring an extra mug out 'ere, there's a good lad - and some oatmeal biscuits as well."

Toby smiled, nodding at Ursula as Nob came through with his hands full, the twin doors swinging merrily behind him. He put the mug of tea down in front of her, and the plate of oatmeal biscuits, grabbing one for himself as he headed out back again in a hurry. He greeted Ursula over his shoulder as he went.

"Good to see ye, Miss Ursula. I'll take some honey too – I think mum's run out."

Gaffer Bracegirdle selected four large jars of honey – two for himself, two for his daughter-in-law – and smiled broadly. "Ye've come in the nick of time; I put the last spoonful this mornin'."

He lifted his mug from the shelf under the counter and took a swallow or two. The sound of smashing crockery came in from the back room and Toby put his mug down hurriedly and headed towards the swinging doors, shaking his head and grumbling

"Butter fingers, that lad! Less haste, more speed, I say...'scuse me a moment." Old Toby disappeared through the swinging doors and his voice floated back into the front office. "Nob! If I've told ye once, I've told ye a dozen times ..."
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Pippin4242 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:38 pm

Rufus stopped at the sign of the Olde Pony Express. He stood a while, eyeing the building with apprehension. Finally the young hobbit appeared to come to some sort of a decision. He pushed his hair out of his eyes and opened the great wooden door, which gave a loud and satisfying creak. He peered inside and was suprised to see an old hobbit sat at a table reading a newspaper, in a dark and low-celinged room. As Rufus stood silent in the doorway the reader reached out and took a biscuit from the plate without taking his eyes off the print. Somehow this wasn't the drama Rufus had hoped for.
Nonetheless, he stepped inside, his bare feet making little noise on the smooth flagstones. Rufus cleared his throat loudly. 'A good morning to you Mr. Toby, sir,' he said, making the other hobbit jump. 'I'm looking to join an adventure,' he said, savouring the word, 'that's right, an adventure.' The older hobbit raised an eyebrow but said nothing.
Rufus picked up a quill and dipped it in the ink pot.

'Rufus Brandybuck
Hobbit in his tweens, seeks adventure and foreign climes with experienced adventurers. Good cook, rides a little, can read and write.'

Rufus paused, touching the feather to the tip of his tongue. It seemed so little, compared to the resumees of the great adventurers pinned to the board above him. Elven archers, knights and navigators... well, he supposed, everyone must start somewhere.

'Hoping for fun and good companionship. Anything considered. Contact Rufus at Pipstherealityimpared@hotmail .com.'

'I put this up on the board then, do I?' asked Rufus, running his fingers through his hair again. He reached to take a pin from the jar, but his hands were trembling to such an extent that he dropped the pin and had to dive under the table to retrieve it.

*~Pips~*
Last edited by Pippin4242 on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pippin4242
Ranger of the North

Hobbit

Postby Lantherien » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:21 pm

Lanthirien was getting hot. Also the inn was comfortable so she decided to relax. Reaching up with her free hand she undid the tidy looking clasp at her neck and the cloak slithered back slightly and then she pulled it back off her head shaking out her white hair before tugging the cloak from under her and balling it up and stuffing it into the corner next to her.

Breathing a deep sigh of relief she took a sip of her drink then let her head loll back to rest on the top of her chair and closed her eyes before opening the green coloured orbs to stare at the roof. Smiling to herself she was momentarily caught by the sound of the commotion the little hobbit was making as he drove to find his pin. She took another swollow of her mug while still watching the hobbit over the edge of her cup. Deciding there was deifnately no threats in the inn she reached around behind her and removed her Bow and laid it with her cloak then stood. She was wearing an over tunic of a deep green that was belted tight over brown breeches that fit close to her body. The belt was simple black leather but the buckle was craved with leaves. Her boots were as simple as the rest of her clothing. Unembossed of marked of plain black but supple leather coming to mid calf. As she came towards the counter her face was revealed to be quite delicate and her form willowly and very light. Green eyes smiled along with her lips as she bent from the waist to look under the table where the hobbit scambled. Her hair spilled down to the floor as upside down she picked up said pin and handed it to the hobbit.

"I believe this is what your after. You seem nervous. Care to join me for a drink?"

Her voice was smooth as she spoke without anymore volume then nessacary but it was sweet like most women it was a smooth warm blend more like coffee rather then a sweet fruit drink.
Lantherien
Citizen of Imladris

Postby corintur » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:10 am

Serad looked at the sign on the door, it read "Olde Pony Express". Serad was glad he made it untill here. He heard a great deal about this place and he told himself he had to try it, adventures were slow these day's so he came to the Olde Pony Express to look for a good adventure.

He pushed the door open and bent down a great deal so he could get throw the tiny doorway. He glanced around, the inn was quiet he saw straight ahead of him a counter with a hobbit standing behind it, the hobbit didn't even notice him coming in.

He walked over toward's the counter, as he got to the counter the hobbit glanced up.

"Ahhhh" the hobbit managed to get out of his mouth as he jumped back.

"Hello to you to" Said Serad with a smile.

"I am so very sorry, it's just you startled me that's all" said the hobbit.

"Ohhh, that's allright I get the same reaction allot... Anyways, I heard this is a great place to find an adventure."

"You definitely came to the right place if you would just fill out this form, I'll have the notice up in no time." Said the hobbit that saw that there was nothing to be afraid of. He handed Serad a form and a quill and Serad started writing what he memorised his whole journey:

Serad.
Former soldier of Harad, looking for adventure's, rescue missions and etc. Is very strong and very deadly with his axe, has a problem with horses. Looking for noble men (and woman, Elves and etc.) to adventure along with. Contact at Hannani100@walla.co.il.

Serad handed the form back to the hobbit, "Thanks!" He said.

"You are very welcome, feel free to come again!"
corintur
Shield Bearer

Postby Impenitent » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:02 pm

"Rufus, is it?" Old Toby asked kindly, twinkling at the young hobbit over his spectacles. The youngster dropped his pin and bent quickly, scrabbling to find it, which he did with Lantherien's assistance

"Yes, lad," the gaffer nodded, as Rufus stood up, a little red-faced. "Pin it up over there, right in the middle, and mind you're neat about it!" Toby watched Rufus carefully as the aspiring RPer pinned the notice to the board. The youngster then turned with a smile all over his amiable face and nodded thanks to Toby.

Movement in the shady corner of the Pony Express office drew Toby's attention and he looked startled to find Lantherien still sitting quietly on a bench. She was drinking something hearty out of a mug, and Toby wondered where on earth she'd gotten her drink from - this was a postal office, after all, not an Inn.

Perhaps the woman had brought it with her. Toby pursed his lips in thought, peering inquisitively to see whether Lantherien was hiding a flagon somewhere under her cloak. She caught him looking and he cleared his throat self-consciously, turning his eyes swiftly back to his counter.

His customers were perfectly welcome to rest their legs for awhile in his office, after all, as long as they didn't get roudy or use it as a meeting hall.

A deep shadow fell over his counter and Toby looked up...and up. He jumped, startled to find the tall Southron grinning down at him in a most friendly manner. He seemed amiable enough, and business-like and Toby took the completed notice from him with a nod and watched the man depart before he gathered his wits enough to put the notice neatly up with the others.
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Drink

Postby Lantherien » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Lanthirien smiled as Toby looked her over and pulled from her back a water bag.

"Nothing in here Toby but a type of fruit juice I favor. Worry not."

Seeing the surpriseingly large and tall man start to Address Tody she backed away slightly in surprise but fixed her gave on Rufus.

"So would you like to share some of my drink?"
Lantherien
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Pippin4242 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:23 pm

The young hobbit gazed upwards. Before him stood one of the Big Folk, but such as he had not seen the like of before. Her beauty seemed to him unsurpassed by any mortal woman and he guessed, rightly, that she must be an Elf. Things certainly seemed to be looking up! Rufus hadn't been ten minutes in the place and already a beautiful woman was trying to corrupt him.
Momentarily his brown eyes met with her green but he broke the contact in an instant, deciding it was safer to make a close examination of the chipped edge of a flagstone than to gaze upon her face a moment longer. She seemed to be asking him if he wanted a drink, but her voice was somehow muffled and distant.
'Begging your pardon, miss, but I must be getting back,' Rufus said sadly, knowing that a part of him would forever regret his self-control. He turned away, but brightened considerably when he remembered how the notice should help him to meet more of her kind.
'Thank you for your time, Mr. Bracegirdle!' he said with a smile, ''Tis high honour indeed to see my name placed alongside those of so many important folk.' The youngster seemed to relax, but blanched as he realised how low the sun was in the sky. 'I must be off now...' he said with wide, glazed eyes, 'My master will be wondering where I've gotten to.' He snapped out of his private thoughts, gave Nob a conspiratorial wink and fair fled from the homely office, forgetting in his haste to shut the door as he left.
Pippin4242
Ranger of the North

Alone

Postby Lantherien » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:46 pm

Lanthirien shrugged but smiled as the hobbit left with no real intent she wondered around the office looking at different things and examining the as she went. Frankly she really had no where better to go. Instead she turned and looked at Toby.

"I have heard the Prancing Pony is a good Inn. Is this true? If so I will take myself out of your hair."
Lantherien
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Impenitent » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:03 am

Toby stopped bustling about to meet the woman's gaze, somewhat relieved and pleased that Lantherien had decided on the positive path of finding an Inn. He smiled a little ashamedly for he felt perhaps he hadn't been terribly welcoming. But then, this was a message post, and an Inn-keepers hospitality didn't come naturally to him.

"The Prancing Pony? Indeed, it's got a fair history...nearly all the old RPers have stayed there at one time or another. It was shut up for a bit, though; recently reopened by Hunter - a good woman, that one! I think ye'll fine a hearty welcome. Mind, it's an Inn, so people come and go and there's not much actual 'adventuring' in there. Still, you'll find it a wonderful place to meet other RPers, get to know them alittle, discover more about yer own character p'raps, prob'ly find some word of excitement elsehere....

"Don't think ye could do much better, actually!" Toby smiled encouragingly and pushed his specs up his nose again.
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Away

Postby Lantherien » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:37 am

Lanhirien smiled at the kindly hobbit and swept him a slight bow before she pulled her hood up over her distinctive hair.

"Then I shall be away Toby and out of your way. I will be at the Inn if any word comes in for Adventures. Or if any come to find me. Good Day Fair Post Master."

With that she stepped back and away and turned gracefully collecting her gear from where it leant against the wall, strapped her bow to her back and was gone with a tinkleinng of the bell and a slight movement of the door to farewell her.
Lantherien
Citizen of Imladris

Postby samsmyhero » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:43 am

Denegal hesitated as he made to push open the door to the small building.The Pony Express read the sign hanging above the door. Well, that could be the name of an inn. But the size of the structure, and the lack of raucous noise which one would usually associate with a drinking establishment, led him to believe that this was some other type of business altogether. Still yet, it was early in the day. Perhaps the locals did not get down to their serous carousing until the evening hours. Not that it mattered much. He was in need of directions, not drink. And he had no money for ale or wine - or for food or a bed for that matter. He was flat broke!

Expressly ignoring the small twinge of nervousness which always accompanied his entry into an unknown environment, he consciously removed his hand from the pommel of the sword that hung at his side. No need to seem threatening. Besides, the grumbling of his belly would be enough to scare away the more timid of folks, at least as a beginning. Smiling to himself, Denegal opened the door and stepped inside.

The remove from bright sunlight to the soft gloom within left the soldier momentarily at a loss to discern what type of place this might be. But as his eyes adjusted, he saw that, indeed, it was not a pub or an inn. He was facing a wooden counter which ran the length of the room, broken by a gap which led behind the counter and to a door into the back of the establishment. All along the walls were hung large boards, attached to which were inumerable pieces of paper covered in writing. What strange manner of business was this Pony Express?

As there did not appear to be anyone around, Denegal stepped up to the counter. A wastepaper basket overflowing with crumpled paper stood to one side. Denegal cleared his throat, and called out Hello! Excuse me. Is there anyone here? Waiting for a reply, his glance swept the counter, landing on several sheets of paper upon which he could discern the same hand had written. Idly, he read the upper most. Available for RP, it began. Balrog, looking for a light, romantic comedy. definitely leading man material. Has done some community theater. The script was almost illegible, and there were ink blots all over, apparently having caused the writer to try his (?) hand on several more sheetes, all with similarly messy results. A balrog? Hmmmmm . . . What in the name of creation was this place!

Denegal, forgetting for a moment that he had stopped in merely to ask for directions, stepped over to the closest board and perused the notices. Many were set out in a neat, flowing hand; but others were scribed by various individual writers, from the looks of it. They all shared a similar theme, though. Each one described an adventure! And it seemed that the authors were searching for adventurers to join them in various journeys, quests, and rovings! Well, well! This might be the answer to his prayers!

Without further time for thought, Denegal heard a small cough. Turning, he saw a hobbit standing behind the counter, looking at him with an expectant smile on his face.

I pray you, good sir, can you tell me what manner of business you have here? Denegal asked somewhat excitedly.
samsmyhero
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Impenitent » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:07 am

OOC: Sorry about taking so long to get back here...life has been frantic lately.

----------

"I pray you, good sir, can you tell me what manner of business you have here?"

Nobby's brows beetled up and he rubbed his inky hands on the back of his breeches by way of preparing himself to answer the question.

"Well...um...this is a public postal office. We advertise jobs, ye see, both wanted and available. Anyone who needs an RPer...or an RPer who's lookin' for a place to write, they can put up a notice here specifyin' what they wants, ye see."

Nobby nodded, pointing over to the boards.

"Ye've had a look, haven't ye? Are ye wanting to write a notice, are ye? There's plenty of paper and ink over there, on the benches. Doesn't cost nothing. Just make sure ye leave all yer contact details so as people know where to find ye."

"If ye don't mind me askin'...where are ye from, sir?"
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby samsmyhero » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:33 pm

(not a problem, Impenitent. RL can be cursed inconvenient, can't it?) :P

In spite of himself, Denegal found himself smiling back at the hobbit with the inky hands. The little chap seemed a wee bit uncertain of himself, but his friendliness was unmistakable. As was his willingness to be of help. So smiling, the soldier was at ease and found no reason not to answer a question asked politely, and what was more important, with no ulterior motives, he'd wager. These past few years on the road had taught Denegal a thing or two about trust, and where placing it wrongly could land one - and that was mostly in a whole lot of trouble!

I am . . uh, was, a soldier of Gondor. Though I have not set foot in that fair city for some time now. I guess one might say I am in exile, an exile of my own choosing however. Ah, it's a long story, and probably an all too common one, I'm afraid- of love unrequited, a suitor spurned and passed over for one with more wealth, and the spirirt of youth which seeks adventure and considers itself immortal - until the first time the spirit's poor, foolish owner has to go three days without a crumb to eat. Denegal chuckled.

Nobby surveyed the tall, even to his hobbit eyes, man, noting the haggard look of his face and the lean state of his lanky frame. Apparently the reference to not eating for three days at a stretch was not an empty one. The little hobbit shuddered inwardly at the thought of such deprivation.

Denegal went on. "Well, I see many and many such life experiences posted on these walls. This place could be a a library as well as an employment office, cataloguing the lives of the fair as well as the foul inhabitants of Middle Earth. His eyes swept over the rough drafts crafted by the balrog. Hmmmm . . . I had come hither seeking directions to the nearest large town that might be in need of a fighting soldier's skills and weaponry." Nobby then noted the great sword that hung by the young man's side, but no other weapons were visible. But, as I am already here, perhaps I'll post an advert myself. It can't hurt! I suppose some great lord might come perusing here for a mighty man of arms! Denegal laughed outright, and, taking up a quill, he ran the feather thoughtfully across his chin, then plunged the point in the inkpot and began to write.[/i]
samsmyhero
Citizen of Imladris

Postby samsmyhero » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:31 pm

There you are, young master. Denegal handed the hobbit his advert with a small flourish, and waited to see if the youngster would review it before posting.

Nobby glanced down at the page and read thus:
Available for employ:

Denegal, once soldier of Gondor. Ready and willing to attempt any venture, legal or not. Meals MUST be provided. Excellent skills with a sword, bow or lance. So-so rider. Not in current possession of a bow, lance or horse, but would take good care of any so loaned to him.

Age: 25, the last 5 being filled with many interesting lessons in life
Appearance: tall, a bit underfed at the moment, dark hair quite a bit longer than when I left Minas Tirith; grey soulful eyes that reflect the bitter truth that all women are heartless gold-diggers and life without them is much preferable to having to try to please the fickle things
weapon: sword, quite a nice one actually
short (very) history: Coming from a respected family of Minas Tirith, I joined the army of Gondor after receiving an appropriate education in all that a young man of a good house should know. I had set my sights upon becoming a guard of the Citadel and wearing the black and silver livery. But then, much to my extreme misfortune, I also set my sights on wooing and winning the fair Iseld, a maiden of one of the first families of the city. She, little minx that she is, promisedme her heart, but then allowed herself to be betrothed to the son of a merchant. A merchant! I ask you. Would any self-respecting

Here the notice broke off and the hobbit looked up momentarily at the man. Denegal looked a bit sheepish, and said Well, yes, perhaps it does tend to ramble on a bit. Maybe you could copy it over and . . .well, you know, just keep the pertinent parts in

Certainly, good sir. But, might I ask, what have you been doing these past few years? I mean, the hobbit looked abashed. I mean, people would probably want to know, wouldn't they?

Denegal considered this. What had happened in the past few years? Well . . . a lot.

Just write this, my little friend: that I have fought many a battle, with hunger, thirst, cold and damp, and have seldom won but still survive; that I have had many employers, but no master; that I have done many wrong things, but have not done any wrong to any who did not deserve it; and lastly, that a soldier of Gondor may always hold his head up with honor, even when he finds himself in the company of the dishonorable.

Will that do?

(Denegal can be reached at samsmyhero2003@yahoo.com)
samsmyhero
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Impenitent » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:47 pm

Although not yet out of his tweens, Nob had been working with his gaffer for almost 10 years and in that time use of his young eyes and ears had taught him much about the strange, wide world beyond the borders of the Pony Express.

Still...this Gondorian had his ears prickling with curiosity. The man his contemporary and had seen so much of the world - and had his heart broken, it seemed! Though he couldn't agree with his conclusion that all women were gold-diggers...his eyes smiled as his mind wandered and the face of young Tigerlily came into focus. Kind as kind, that one, and sweet-spoken as anything.

The man cleared his throat and Nobby started a little.

"Oh! Right y'are, sir! I'll write it out a little more tactful, p'raps, and put it up for ye. And if ye're lookin' fer a place to stay while ye're waitin' for employment, ye can try the Inn up the road. And..." here Nob added sotto voce..."If ye ask fer Tigerlily an' tell 'er I sent ye, she'll give ye a feed."

His brown eye winked at the much-too-thin Denegal for emphasis and Nobby set about the task of preparing the notice for the boards.
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby samsmyhero » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:18 am

Many thanks, Master Hobbit. Your advice is sound as well as kind. I'll go in search of the inn and mistress Tiger-Lily. A meal would be most welcome. As if on cue, Denegal's stomach let out a loud growl.

Making a sweeping bow more befitting a great lord than a simple hobbit, the soldier bid Nobby fare well. Pulling the door of the Express to behind him, he started off up the road towards the inn. Whistling softly to himself, Denegal wondered how sucessful his advert might be. Well, no matter! Of much more importance was the thought - Today, I eat!
samsmyhero
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Impenitent » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:19 pm

White Council Awards nominations close today, 1 October at Midnight. Nominate now!

Nobby put the last pin on the notice and turned to his gaffer.

"Why aren't the RPers nominatin' grandad? There's so many of 'em, and yet only a handful have done it. Are they shy, d'ye think?"

Toby shook his head mournfully. "I just don't know, my boy. There are some amazin' writers in the ranks; I know it! If they're not nominated now, then they won't appear in the list of finalists and they'll have no chance - no chance at all! of winning!"

"What a great pity, grandad. They deserve recognition - and not only that, but don't they realise they have a chance to promote their stories?! They could nominate them for Best RP, and then everyone will go look a them."

"I know that, Nobby...I know." Old gaffer Bracegirdle shook his head again and went back to his ledgers. "Don't know what's keepin' the folks back, I just don't know."
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Collin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:49 pm

This thread is really useful. Kudos to the one who came up with it.
Collin
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Impenitent » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:37 pm

:) Glad to be of service.
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby atalantea » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:41 am

Three women got down their horses. They were weary but they knew it was worth the long, hard ride. They looked around. They drew attention to themselves as they came. They entered the pub. They went in with a purpose and approached the counter. A smile greeted them.

"We need jobs," they came in unison. "We're really bored for our adventures are done and we need another,"

"I see... all three of you in one adventure?"

"No," came the one with midnight blue eyes. "Any one of us,"

"Okay, please fill up these forms and we'll try our best to help you,"

"Thank you," came the unmistakable elven one.

"If you could, please work on our papers first?" Winked a beautiful green eyed woman. She drew almost the whole place's attention.

"We'll do what we can," answered the man.

They moved to the table and sat. Writing on the paper.

Karimlan:
Ranger, adventerous, practical and smart. Pretty and can do almost anything. :D Be warned because I have a temper. So for anyone thinking they can dupe me, prepare to be annihalated. Please no ninnies.

Atalantea:
I am of the eldar. I need something to soothe my weary soul. I have waited for an adventure for so long and I already tire, I will do my best to help in all and any quest. I ask for help.

Kundiman,
Hello, I am bored and I need action. I'm real pretty and can do anything. Some people say I'm vain and I know it too, so what? Besides, it is not like they are bothered my presence, men love me. I am open for companionship too if that's what you like, just as long as you are rich and strong and smart and male. Please be good looking. :D See you! :smooch:

They passed their papers to the man. "We'll wait for the results, please notify us as soon as possible,"

"Fare thee well," they left.
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby foodaddict » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:33 am

'Addict entered the building and looked around, hoping to speak with Nob. Instead, her eyes focused on a suspiciously familiar beauty with laughing green eyes and a slender form.
"Kundiman!" she cried out in shock and surprise. "What the hell are you doing here?"
Her two female companions looked at each other and then at their friend.
"We were all applying for jobs," one of them replied for Kundiman, eyeing her curiously.
"Oh no you don't!" 'Addict said firmly, walking over to her wayward adventurer and grabbing her by her arm. "You're not doing that until we're finished!"
And with a considerable amount of effort, the younger girl dragged the beautiful woman out the door.
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arianna_Silverstar » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:37 pm

The regal looking Elf woman stopped in front of a sign reading 'Ye Olde Pony Express.' "Well, this is where I am told to go," she said to herself.
She entered and approached a person at the counter. "Excuse me sir, can you help me?"

Nobby turned at the voice, "Depends on what ye be needin'."
"I would like to post a notice please."
"Go right ahead, all ye need is the paper and ink right over there. Just write it out, and ol' Nobby will make sure it gets up."
"Diola lle, Nobby." The Elf woman went to write her notice. it read:

Adventure seeking elleth (elf maiden), named Arianna Silverstar
wishes to find an exciting journey to be a member of. Is trained in
hand to hand combat, and has excellent skills in archery and use of
twin blades. She can also handle a long sword or staff if
needed. She eagerly awaits a reply either on this thread, or
at: sexy_music03@hotmail.com
messages may be addressed to her or to Ashley- a close
friend. Diola Lle (thank you) :)
Arianna_Silverstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby soul_warrior » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:54 pm

Nori walked quietly across the street. Hard men were now a common sight since the prancing pony had opened and no one gave the small rough looking man any attention at all. His usual cheerful mood is badly shaken by the seeming famine of new adventures to join though there was doubtlessly a veritable army of them waiting for a chance at life. He was muttering heavily under his breath as he stepped up to the door of the prancing pony, he‘d intended to have join a few more adventures before he retired but at this rate he was better off starting his own. He opened the heavy door and was rewarded with a bell ringing above his head. Large boards were spread out across the walls bearing the messages of adventurers. A noble looking elf was busy writing on a bit of paper, her back to him and behind a counter a small hobbit sat shuffling through papers. The hobbit looked up at Nori and seemed to frown, hardly surprising as Nori’s shaggy unkempt brown hair and plain brown pants and tunic presented a rather humble image. The elf apparently finished handed her paper to the hobbit and turned facing Nori. His breath caught for a second as he was reminded of a beauty that had once taken his heart. “Me lady” he said to her as he bowed low. He turned to the small hobbit and stretched out his hand, taking the hobbit’s much smaller hand he pumped it twice and introduced himself simply as Nori. He could see the hobbit starring at the large discolored burn scars on the back of his hand as he took a quill and bit of parchment.

Adventurer’s needed

Adventurer’s with little, no, or a great deal of experience (inexperienced writers welcome too after reading role play 101 and 102)

All classes and races are welcome with the exceptions of spooks specters shape changers and immortals (elves are welcome)

(all writers must be able to post at least once a week for sure no excuses.)

Short reason for adventure: a monster that Sauron created has escaped it’s prison and is wreaking havoc in middle earth and a party of hero’s /mercenaries has been summoned to hunt down and kill the creature.
The story takes place around Gondor however more details will be available once the OOC is made. Reach me at smazalufugus@hotmail.com

Nori handed the paper to the hobbit and walked back out into the street’s.
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:49 am

After making sure that Kundiman was not going on any other adventures until her current one was finished, 'Addict re-entered the Pony. It was strangely quiet, and when she did not see Nob she decided to simply write down what she needed and leave it for the dear fellow to find.

"Dear Nob--" she scribbled,
"--Was hoping to find you here, but it seems you're otherwise occupied. I just wanted to give you my thanks regarding all the help you've given me with my company.
At present, I'm again in need of service, and I'm hoping you'll be able to help me, as you have before. :D
My latest assembly is entitled "An Unholy Alliance", http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=84472&sid=9dd527212a56b36cc1315a5a4a72833a. At its simplest, the story revolves around five guardians who believe themselves indebted to a certain family for oaths they were never able to fulfill during their mortal lives. As a result, they are summoned again and again by varying generations of this family, and they serve them without question. Now there comes a point in time, before Bilbo even set out for his little adventure with Smaug, wherein the summoner has an evil purpose that has to do with the Rings of Power given to the Dwarves, Elves, and Men, and the guardians are caught up between their thirst for eternal rest and the prickling sensation that they are serving something wrong.
At present we're in dire need of more RPers to fill in the characters, and I was hoping that anyone interested would contact us at our OOC, http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=84140&sid=9dd527212a56b36cc1315a5a4a72833a.
Again, my thanks.
'Addict."
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby SilmevanaIriel » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:08 pm

The sky was darkening, and simply out of her desire to get away, Silmevana quickened her pace. As she turned the corner and glanced down the street, she saw a hanging wooden sign stating simply "Old Pony Express".

"This must be the place," she muttered to herself quietly. She crossed the street and climbed up the stone step. Pushing the heavy door open, a warm glow escaped out into the street and then vanished as she shut the door tightly behind her. Upon entering, she had heard a small bell at the top of the door jingle itself, but looking around, not a soul could be seen.
To one side of the room there were benches with paper and quills for writing stuck in either overfull or dry ink pots. Deciding not to tarry, she slipped over to one of the benches and took a piece of paper off of the nearest pile. Picking up a quill she put the tip of it to her soft lips for a moment in silent deliberation, and then began scratching away.

" Female elf in search of companions. The task is that of retrieval, though it will not be easy, it shall be greatly rewarded if completed. What I am in search of lies deep, hidden in the Misty Mountains bordering Gondor. Assuming our quest is successful, our final destination is Imladris. I am a trained warrior and highly skilled in hand to hand combat as well as archery. My sword does not lie idly at my side either. Though these skills are wanted in my companions as well, inner strength is most important for this journey. Wizards, elves and rangers are most needed, but all are welcome. I wish to begin as soon as is possible, for my people's lives depend on it. I can be reached at HeisWhatiWant@yahoo.com for more details."

There. Looking it over once more, she considered adding more. But then decided against it- it would simply be too dangerous. As it was, posting this openly and involving others was a huge risk. If this information was to get into the wrong hands....
Crossing her fingers, Silma crossed the room and pinned her notice to the board in hopes that she would be able to start soon.
SilmevanaIriel
Shield Bearer

Postby Tanwen_Luthien » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:55 pm

Character searching for RP

A young woman enters the room, she has a worn cloak over her shoulders, and is dressed in loose mens garb. She would seem completely uninteresting had she not tipped her head back, shaking off water and her hood. Her eyes are a bright, lively green, her ears pointed, and her lips pull back into a full and luscious smile. Her small, upturned nose and golden hair would suggest innocence, but anybody experience enough would recognise the way her eyes sweep the room, looking for potential employers... or threats. They would also look closer and see the cleverly concealed weapons in the folds of her clothing.

Satisfied with what she sees, the young woman saunters up to a table, and leaps up onto it, making it wobble dangerously. She gains her balance, and turns towards the others in the room. "Good people of this Tavern," she begins in a strong voice, "My name is Tanwen Ceridwen. Or 'Tanny darling' to the men." At this, a few men in the bar became increasingly more interested. She continued. "I am an adventurer looking for employment, or just, well, adventure. I am experienced with daggers and other such clever weapons, but can sort of use the other common ones when it is required of me. I have also been a... er... experienced courtesan-" A few men whooped and whistled, jingling the gold in their pockets. "-but that is no more... unless my charm is required on a journey. I am nimble and quick, but I will warn you now," She became mock-serious, "My temper has been known to cause many deaths of men... particularly the ones who didn't pay." The patrons chortled at this, except the men who had been planning to do just that.

Tanwen tossed back her head and continued. "I have some very small magical knowledge, but much training would not go atsray. I'm not just there to keep the bed warm, although that may be an added perk of having me around, depending on how much I like you, and I'll do whatever I can to help the journey. I also have good skill in music, and cooking for that matter. A drawback though," She paused, "I have little to no historical or geographical knowledge, so I'm no help there! I have my moments of wit, and I may sometimes be difficult to get along with, particularly since mornings are not quite my best time of day, but I have a heart, and I will fight for what I believe is right, not for whichever side pays the best. Now who wants to buy me a drink?"

OOC: Contact me at Elven_Hobbit@hotmail.com!
Tanwen_Luthien
Ranger of the North

Postby Impenitent » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:31 pm

Apologies for such a long absence. RL required full attention.

atalantea, you have not provided any means by which interested people can contact you. Can you please provide either an email address or a home thread? thanks.

-----------

Nob put his tankard and tentatively put his hand up, trying to draw Tanny's attention. The golden haired woman looked down at him from the great height atop the table, her green eyes wide and curious - what could a young hobbit such as this possiby want with her?

" 'Scuse me miss...erm...I'm Nobby, and I work at The Pony Express up the road...me and me grandad, we get jobs for people all the time. We put up notices and such and folk from all around come to the Express seekin'...well, seekin' just about anything, really - adventurerers and cooks, and... ruffians" - this last in the softest undertone.

Tanwen's curiosity pricked, she jumped lightly down and pulled up the stool next to Nobby, who felt rather overwhelmed at having a Big Person so close to him in the Tavern - he was somewhat used to it at the Express, where he got all sorts, but that was usually with the counter between them which somehow made him feel more secure.

"Yes...so I just thought, miss, if ye'd like to just give me the salient points..." and Nobby fished some crumpled paper from his pocked and licked the end of a stubby pencil in a business like manner..."I'll write out a notice for ye and put it up on the board."

The business was expedited quickly to Tanwen's satisfaction and Nobby gulped down his last mouthful of beer, stood, bobbed his head politely in Tanwen's direction and went back to The Pony Express to put up the new notice.

------

The bell tinkled gently as Nob entered the familiar office.

"Hallo grandad! Got another employment notice while I was in the Pony; elven woman, I think, who didn't realise we was just up the road. Been busy?"

Old Toby couldn't believe his ears and turned to glare at his grandson over his spectacles.

"Have I been busy? Yes, I've been busy! I've been run off my feet while ye've been carousin' through your lunch! There've been half a dozen customers through here, all of them requirin' specific'lly tailored services. Get crackin' you young scallywag and put these up right now."

He got down off the ladder - required to take care of the notices that were placed higher up the wall - and thrust a sheaf of paperrs into Nobby's hands.

"There's some urgent messages have to go off to foreign parts and I've had to put off sending them til ye got back."

Toby hurried through to the back room, leaving the two doors swinging wildly back and forth in the speed of his passage, and Nobby began reading through the sheaf of notices to work out where they were to go.
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Wicked_Wytch » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:59 pm

The trio entered Ye Old Pony Express noisily. The one mortal of the group, a woman with dark hair was speaking quickly, trying her best to be persuasive. "Do you really think it necessary that we find other adventurers to join us? Really, Luin, it would it not be faster if it was just us three?"

"Shade..." Luin, a tall male elf responded. "It is important that we get this task done quickly. For your sake." There was a gentleness in his eyes as he said this, and in one swift motion, his hand was on her cheek.

"Please, spare me the show of affection," Riencuran, Luin's obstinate (and yet, underneath it all, kind hearted) sister interrupted. "I'm sick to death of watching you fawn over this... human." And, with a grin, Luin removed his palm from the mortal's cheek. "Let's be done with this quickly, Luin," Rien added, pushing the elf toward a desk where paper lay. Seeing that some people gave the group odd looks, Sade nodded in their direction, attempting to be friendly. Riencuran almost laughed at the gesture.

With elven elegance the male leaned over and began to write...

Adventurers wanted.

My companions and I are searching for strong, willing adventurers to aid us in a search for a dark wizard. One of my companions, a human woman, has been cursed with a dark, foul poison and if we do not find the cure she will die.

Our first stop will be to Rivendell where a small group of elves have remained. We hope that they will help us with medicine or information. After that point, the task is sure to become long and dangerous.

For more information, please contacts us at the inn we shall be residing in for the next few days ((the OOC)).

Belain na le
-Luinithil Elenath

"Have you finished?" Shade and Rien spoke at once and upon realizing this, shot each other dark looks. Luin nodded with a smile (for the two women were always arguing and yet he knew that they were good friends) and posted the piece of paper where he hoped some adventurers would find it.

"Yes, my ladies," Luin said, hiding a grin. "Let us find an inn and wait for a day or two. Then we shall, hopefully, have a group assembled and be on our way."

With that, the man nodded at the people behind the front desk and bowed before his ladies, letting them take leave before him. Riencuran walked out the door first, and then Shade followed. Luin cast a glace at the woman as she walked, worried for her health.

Valar, keep her safe, he thought to himself as he exited the place.
Wicked_Wytch
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)