OOC: Of Lothlórien and Dol-Guldur

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC: Of Lothlórien and Dol-Guldur

Postby Fëaros » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:09 am

Sauron’s armies have been defeated in the Battle of The Pelennor Fields, and his will remains bent upon the one ring. It is widely known across Middle-Earth of the victory of Gondor and Rohan, which has borne hope to all that dwell there. Others there are that go to war in these dark times, deep in the forests of Mirkwood lies a threat, the previous abode of the Necromancer, Sauron. In the dungeons and torture chambers of Dol-Guldur lie the last fell creations of Morgoth. In mockery of Ents and Elves, twisted by cruelty and malice are legions of Uruks and Olog-hai. Governed by one of the shadow world, who was taken to darkness by his lust for power, Khamûl, ringwraith, lieutenant to the Witch-King of Angmar.

The day is late, and the shadow from the south extends further North, a great cry comes up from the fearful tower and disperses through Mirkwood. Derived from this cry that shakes the great trees of Mirkwood, is the realisation; war is no longer a rumour, it is a reality.

Fëaros, now lying on the ground after falling from his tree picks himself slowly up. Word of stirrings in Dol-Guldur need to be sent to Lórien and confirmed in Mirkwood for Thranduil's kingdom is to be faced with a mighty foe.

The Elves of Lothlórien and Mirkwood must now stand against this evil and contain the threat from the North until the full doom of Middle-Earth is wrought in Mordor.

Welcome, if you wish to join this thread (You don't necessarily have to be an Elf) then please leave me your character details in the following format;

Name: Fëaros

Race: Elf

Weapon(s): Golden Bow and quiver, Small Dirk. Has been known to carry a sword at times, Rutha; elvish for fury.

Allegiance: The Golden Wood.

Personality: A lover of music, well learned in woodland lore. Has a calm and peaceful nature. If the need to fight is at hand he will not shy away, being brave and loyal.

Appearance: Blue eyes, long golden hair, just exceeding six feet in height. He wears (typically) an elven cloak and all the other attire of a noble elf of Lothlorien.

History: An elf with alleigance to Lorien but born long ago in Doriath, friend to Haldir. Spends alot of his time abroad, especially in Mirkwood with at least one eye always on Dol-Guldur. Very old.

Any extra details are much appreciated.

Current Members of the Thread in order of appearance:

Fëaros: Fëaros
Atlantea: Atlantea
Aiwe: Inko
Soul_Warrior: Eznorb Gnaf
Foodaddict: Marren
Amrunelen: Amrunelen
Frelga: Dacil
naryaringoffire: Galdor
Arvandor: Garrack
Last edited by Fëaros on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:27 am, edited 9 times in total.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:12 pm

Name: Atalantea

Race: Elf

Weapon(s): Whip, bow, two daggers that connect to make a spear like thingie-majie

Allegiance: Rivendell, daughter of Elrohir

Personality: Really moody and choosy. Faithfull.

Appearance: Midnight blue eyes with silver linings. White, porcelain skin. Really, really long, curly black hair. Slender built.

She is supposed to be married to Legolas to seal Mirkwood and Rivendell alliance. :D

Hoping this will continue. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aiwe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:19 am

I like to play off-the-wall characters. Lemme know if this one's to far out in left field for what you have planned for this RP. ;)

Name: Inko

Race: werewolf

Weapons: himself, plus a rather dull and rusty hunting knife he stole.

Allegiance: anyone who doesn't seem inclined to hurt him

Personality: oily coward. Talks to himself, because few others listen. Quick to run away from a fight, or even the suggestion of one.

Appearance: scruffy reddish hair, clear grey-green eyes. Scrawny and wiry. Always looks underfed and poised to flee. Wears ragged, dirty, and badly-mended peasant's clothes that do not fit well. As a wolf: a mangy reddish-brown mongrel with clear grey-green eyes and a seemingly permanent tail-tucked cringe.

Other: has zero control over when he changes shape, though he can tell with about ten minute's warning when it's going to happen. The moon does it, but so do a host of other factors, not in the least his mixed-up teenage hormones.

How the heck he could fit into this story: I'm thinking he gets caught by the elves as he's running away from a minor skirmish, and brought to Imladris, or wherever the other characters are meeting, to be questioned about the enemy. He'll be more than willing to sell out his masters to save his own skin.

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Fëaros » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:11 pm

Atalantea, I like the reference to Rivendell, I hope we can interweave this concept with Tolkien's characters and story very closely. Your character is very fitting just the sort of response I was after - thanks.

Aiwe, I did not expect a werewolf but it sounds like a really interesting idea, I think it could work very well - thanks.

I haven't been very specific concerning characters for the RP, maybe potential recruits would like to consider parts such as;

Legolas' Brother?
A friend of Fëaros.
Mirkwood Elves
A Messenger
A Guard of Lorien, Haldir?
A Certain Wizard by the name of Radagast.
A Ranger of the Dunedain.
Entwives.

Just a few suggestions to try and get this thing going. As before your character must merely follow the simple framework I constructed at the top of the page, as ever any extra details or suggestions are more than welcome.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby balrogthane » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:17 pm

Hullo! I doubt I could fit in too well... :| but I just wanted to stop in and say Hi! to Aiwe. :) You always have the awesomest characters, I think I'll lurk along with y'all if you don't mind. :P

Plus there's not freakin' way to work a Balrog in. :roll:

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby soul_warrior » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:11 pm

hey i'm not entirely sure how we could work him in but here's my only open characters Bio. i could have him here fighting to stop Sauron because of his allegiance with the southerlings

Name: eznorb gnaf

Race: men

Alliance: none

Weapons: a scimitar and a gauntlet with a large blade protruding from it’s fist.

Appearance: His unusually dark skin hints at his Haradrim bloodline. He’s bald . His build is remarkably similar to a dwarves being very strong and well muscled yet he’s still tall at six foot nothing. He’s very broad with legs like a tree trunk. Black tattoos on his chest form a large dragon’s skull.

History: Eznorb was born a slave in the Haradrim lands and was forced to survive in the viscous pit and arena fighting . When he was 23 he killed his owner and fled to the west and became a mercenary for the Oroheim. After several years of wandering Eznorb left the mercenary life and worked small odd jobs. He became a devout religious man in his travels and still lives mostly by wandering the wilds.

Personality: Eznorb is very quite but tends to have strong outburst’s when he feels the need to talk. His daily routines are heavily involved with his beliefs and he is willing to fight and kill any who dare tell him he’s wrong about it. In battle Eznorb tends to be foolish in his charges and he’s a dangerous opponent even when cornered or outnumbered.
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:40 pm

Whoohooo! I'm in!!! Will be dropping by again to check. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aiwe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:25 pm

*Waves to BT* I'm so happy you're back in action! :D

Fëaros, thanks for letting little Inko in. He's a brand new character just for this RP. Hop you like him. ;)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby foodaddict » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:56 am

Hey! :D
Am I in time to join? I'm so glad you started this thread about Dol Guldur...my thoughts always wander back to it. :shock: Oh well. I'm rambling again.
Here's my character bio. Please tell me if it's acceptable and if I'm allowed in. I was thinking I'd claim the messenger's role, but I doubt if my character's personality would fit in well with that kind of responsible role.

Name: Marren

Race: Human

Weapons: A long slim blade that's easy to carry and a similar crystal sword that she rarely uses.

Allegiance: Nobody really knows, but it comes off that her loyalty lies completely with herself.

Personality: Isn't rebellious in the classical meaning of the term, but she's jaded and cynical and gives the impression of not really caring what people think of her and why. She sort of adapts the mentality that the countries of our world have:

There are no permanents friends and there are no permanent enemies. There are only permanent interests.

Nobody really knows what she's thinking and why she does things, but ultimately she seems to do things for self-benefit.

Appearance: Of average height--5'6" or 5'7"--and is lean and compact. Has strong, scultped features, and long limbs. She's deathly fair and has clear silvery eyes.

I don't really know if she can do the messenger role, but please fill me in on what you think. :D
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby Fëaros » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:36 am

balrogthane The idea of a Balrog does sound fascinating but I agree it seems unlikely that we could feasibly fit one in. If you can contrive a way of conceivably fitting one in I would be most interested. Maybe there are more than one in Moria? Or one in the Iron Hills? It would not come into the RP until later on but you may find a way. Alternatively you could take on a different character if you wish.

soul_warrior, A great character, not sure how we will fit him in though. Maybe the messenger(s) will come across him on the way to Lorien? I am extremely interested in seeing your characters' progressions in the battle, and also the question of loyalty and whether he will find any or not.

foodaddict, You're certainly in time! Could I just ask; how would you classify your character; Soldier, Healer, Mercenary, Experienced Messenger, Royalty etc. Just so that it can be made clearer what her role would be as a messenger or as one of a party delivering the message - or her role as part of a Fellowship. I like the realism of you character and her cynical and self-interested flaws, it leaves it wide open for a crucial decision of inner-conflict.

To all of you: atalantea, Aiwe, balrogthane, soul_warrior and foodaddict, Thankyou for your interest and participation! :)

:idea: Also: Due to the detail and time that has been put into submitted characters my initial submission seems to have been somewhat overshadowed, so I think i'll touch it up a bit! :wink:

:idea: Also(2): This thread will remain for as long as it lasts open to anyone who would like to join, all potential participators will be carefully considered for a role.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:48 pm

Hmmm...I think I might join. Can't decide whether I want to use Amrunelen(of Lothlorien) or Silvreniel(fled from Doriath, eventually ended up in Lothlorien). I could use Silvreniel if you wanted to play off her and Fëaros knowing each other(from Battles on the Marches of Doriath). It doesn't matter though. :)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Fëaros » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:29 pm

Rune, I think Amrunelen of Lothlorien would be the best bet, I look forward to your involvement.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:32 pm

Hello addict! :D Hi Rune!

Whohoo! We are growing, anyway, where do we start?

I'm so exited. Will drop by again soon. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Fëaros » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:12 am

I think should start soon...

I think also that we should start putting a framework together for characters etc.

I think we should have a fellowship of messengers. So if you would like your character to be part of this from the beginning then please post soon. The IC thread will start on wednesday so please get your replies to me before then.
Last edited by Fëaros on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:32 am

Thanks, Fearos! :D I think my character can be an experienced messenger who's worked for several people who are beneficial to her interests. Is that okay? :D
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby balrogthane » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:30 am

Hey Fearos, I just increased your gold in EverWars. :D Beware a new Barbarian warrior...

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Fëaros » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:00 am

foodaddict, is there a suitable abbreviation for your name? You can definitely be part of the fellowship as it were.

Balrog, Ty for the gold! wink:
Last edited by Fëaros on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:30 pm

Hello, will drop by soon. :D I'm going out for camp tomorrow until the um, the third or fourth day after this. Will drop by as soon as possible. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby soul_warrior » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:41 pm

*rubs his hands in anticipation* i cant wait eh.
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:59 am

Fearos, " 'Addict" will do. :wink: Thanks for letting me in! :D I'm going to be gone for a regional competition for a little while, but I promise to make my way back within three to four days or so. :P
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby atalantea » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:02 am

Hello... Ehehe, dropped by again. :D Will pass by after three days, sigh, don't go too far without me, please?!?!? :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Frelga » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:20 am

This is beginning to shape up quite nicely. Do you have room for another player? Dacil is an offspring of a noble family in Dol Amroth turned prizefighter turned mercenary turned muscle for hire turned... Now here's a question. There were two other parties fighting against Dol Guldur: Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain and Men of Dale. I thought Dacil might be a messenger to Mirkwood for the King of Dale, in whose personal guard he currently serves. Or something.

If this is suitable, I will post a more detailed bio. Aiwe, you are going to post here, aren't you? Looking forward to seeing another of your pups in action. ;) * Waves to atalantea *
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Amrunelen » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:39 pm

Alrighty...I suppose a character bio would be in order. I'll go find Amrunelen's somewhere else and copy it over here. :)

edit-

Kind of long-ish. Hope it's alright. :)

Name: Amrunelen (translation- sunrise star)

Race: Elves

Alliance: Lothlorien

Languages: Common speech, Sindarin and Quenya (most often uses the common speech around others)

Horse: Name- Tindanare (Silver flame), She is silver grey with a small white star upon her back.

Weapons: A sword with flowing elvish script along the blade, a bow of the Galadrim, and a dagger. Other various things she often carries: a small silver horn inscribed with elvish designs, a phial containing some of the light of Earendil(like to that given to Frodo but a bit smaller), and a bell bandolier(sounds kind of odd but it will be explained better in my history. That actually should be with my weapons...)

Appearance: Sea-grey eyes that hold the light of youth yet wisdom of many years, long dark brown hair, and gives off a pale white light as is typical for elves. Most often wears traveling clothes with a cloak of elven grey, but when at home or mingling with other Lords and Ladies she often wears a mantle of silver and blue with a silver circlet upon her head. Always she wears a necklace with a single white gem that's light rivals even that of the stars. It was passed down to her from her mother.

Personality: Kind to all of those of the light but wary of those allied with darkness, valiant in battle, fair yet terrible when angered, loyal to her friends and Lothlorien.

History: Amrunelen was born and raised in Lothlorien, her mother, Tinwe, and father, Ear-gil, both being from there. Ear-gil died when she was fairly young, by elves reckoning. He had been out traveling shortly after the last alliance, which he was part of, and the defeat of Sauron and returned badly wounded a couple of weeks later. Galadriel tended to him with her powers of healing but it was hopeless. He died later in the night, never to pass on to Valinor. Before he died, he made sure to hand down one specific possesion of his to his only child. It was was a bell bandolier with a set of bells that were most often used by Necromancers. He used them for good purposes though, banishing the dead who should not have risen back to death. The Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood knew of his deeds but did not speak of them to many. Most elves did not see that even some magic used by those who are allied with darkness could in fact be used otherwise. Ear-gil's death remained a mystery, as far as what had attacked him and why. Amrunelen and her mother continued living on in Lothlorien until her mother left after the War of the Ring and chose to sail across the sea to the Undying Lands, to Eldamar. Amrunelen remained in Middle Earth with the few of her race that did not yet want to leave those shores.
Last edited by Amrunelen on Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Aiwe » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:38 pm

'Course I am, Frelga :razz: Would Dacil like to run into Inko? ;)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:39 pm

DP :oops:
Last edited by Aiwe on Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:24 am

Aiwe, I sure hope he would. ;) Assuming Fëaros allows me to join, of course.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Fëaros » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:36 pm

I hope nobody minds if I postpone the opening of the IC thread. It seems that some of us are away for a few days and also people are (it seems) still interested in joining.

Frelga, you are most welcome here! May I just ask; What do you suppose the trigger is for the King of Dale to send message to Mirkwood? And when do you think your character should join the main plot?

Rune
Thanks for the great bio!
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:04 pm

Thanks, Fëaros!

My thinking is that there was probably a fairly steady flow of trade and messages between Mirkwood and Dale (and Erebor). As times grow dangerous, King Brand could send Dacil either to warn the Elves or to ask for help in defending Dale.

Then I got this idea that maybe Brand sends his grandson to Thranduil for some deranged reason... umm... I mean to keep him safe(r), and Dacil goes with him as a bodyguard. The escort could then be ambushed by Orcs (and werewolves? ;) ), and either rescued by the messengers or else Dacil could make it to Thranduil's caves on his own, with his charge wounded badly enough that I don't have to play him.

To answer your second question, I could have Dacil in Mirkwood soon after the start of the story, or at any point after that. Just let me know what fits your plans best.

Will post bio.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby foodaddict » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:06 am

Hi everyone! :D I do apologize for being away longer than I said I would, but I was just so exhausted yesterday I just walked into my room and fell flat on the carpet (not even the bed!). After the regionals I found out that I was signed up for a damned camp and I got there just as they were going for the hike. Can you imagine, they made us hike four hours up a damned mountain and when we reached the peak we found out that there was no way down other than the way we came (which consisted of scrambling up steep, and muddy slopes). It was almost nightfall and it had been raining for two hours. We had to trek down for three hours--in the dark! It was so frustrating!
Hehe...anyway, I'm here now, and I'm sure Al will be coming back from her girl scout camp in by tomorrow--though we might be held up a bit because it's Halloween tomorrow and we're preparing for all the festivities today. :shock: *sigh*
Forgive my rambling. I'll go look around and see what else I can do. :wink:
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby Fëaros » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:41 am

Is everyone happy for me to start the thread asap?
Last edited by Fëaros on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)