The Burning Stars (ooc)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Aiwe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:23 pm

ElvenChild,

You have been asked, several times by several people, to create a more realistic character for this RP and to edit the post you have made, as it does not fit with the story we are trying to create here. You have edited a little bit, but your post doesn't mesh with our story yet. For instance: the abbot, in your post, says the Easterling girl and the hobbit are going along. But how does he know this? This is, as can be seen in the interplay between Sorc's and Aura's characters, a secret plot cooked up by Ara. Also, as far as I can tell, you posted without getting the OK from our fearless leader Eldfess or from any of the other thread members. In the future, please be sure to get a definite OK before posting in the IC. Your character still needs to be made more realistic, and you need to work on your first post to reflect that.

Also, are you new to RPing on TORC? Maybe you should check out the Guidelines and Rules for Role Playing, as well as Role Play 101 and Role Play 102 Advanced Class to get a better idea of what we would love to see from you, writing- and character-wise. Good luck!

:)

--Aiwe
Last edited by Aiwe on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:41 pm

I am not posting in this thread, but I've been a very impressed reader since the beginning. The reason, I'm breaking into the conversation now is that I have a bit of information that you might find helpful, but I don't know whether I should be revealing it. :? :|

Some time back I have applied for a part-time position here (I was not going to go with the questers) and in an email exchange with Eldfess he mentioned some of his plans for the quest. (I also found just how particular he is about the characters and the plot ;) ). I've no idea whether he changed his mind since then, and I'm not sure that I should be putting in my oar at all. I suppose for now I'll just let you know that I have the information, and you can decide what to do about it.

ElvenChild, I have to tell you that I am very impressed with how politely and cheerfully you've handled all these grizzled oldbies trying to improve your character. :) That said, I think the issue is not so much which powers your character has, but how she deals with having those powers and how they fit into the RP-world as defined by the thread creator. A good character is notable mainly for the kind of person he/she/it is, not for his/hers/its magical abilities.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Aiwe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:49 pm

Speaking as a grizzled oldbie.... :roll: ElvenChild, I'm sorry if what I said was hurtful. Perhaps I should avoid posting when I've had this little sleep... :oops: Please forgive my snappishness. :)

Frelga, I sure hope you and Eldfess pursure that idea. It'd be cool. Moreover, I hope Eldfess gets his butt back in here to get the ol' plot rolling. :wink:

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm

Aiwe, when I said with the Easterling girl and the Hobbit, I meant to come with me, not having any idea about them leaving. That's why I asked before I answered for Abbot. :( :(
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby undomiel » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:39 am

Hey, who's a grizzled oldbie? :x ;)

ElvenChild, Frelga is right. The problem isn't so much that you're a telepath, but that you're a telepath prancing around and reading anyone's mind she wants to. Now, that makes it seem like your character has no respect for the privacy of others. If I were the Abbot, I would lock someone like that up in a dungeon so they wouldn't violate everyone they came into contact with. I certainly would not send them off on a mission with a bunch of other monks. And I'll warn you right now, if you ever try to read Leorner's mind you'll be sorry because he's not the kind of person who takes kindly to that sort of thing.

Also, you're post does not fit in with anyone else's posts! We already have a quest planned that involves Leorner and Ara, Lucy and Avasa are already conspiring to follow. I think what you need to do is rethink your character and the way she acts. Your current first post just won't do. Please rewrite your entrance and let us review it before you post it. If you need help with ideas we can help you. Please follow Aiwe's advice and read up on those threads she posted. They're very good for new RPers. :)

And Quim please by all means, post as soon as you can! Sorry I passed the torch over to you, but you always have good ideas. ;)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:07 pm

lol ^_^ well I can't really be offended by that, undomiel, now can I? Thanks for the compliments. I'll see what I come up with.

A grizzled oldie? looks at acount creation date.... ok yeah... so what? :P

Yes, I'm sorry Elvenchild if any of us offended you, for my part, my comment were aimed to see if I couldn't help you with your concept a bit. My sister is an aspiring writer and she brings her stuff to me alot to ask for suggestions, so I never mind giving advice, and I might give it a bit too readily sometimes. but anywho, back to the story.

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:29 am

Righty! I posted a bit :P

That oght to get us started. Eldfess, if you didn't want that, I'm really sorry, when you come back just say the word and change anything you like, just trying to get things moving.

What I'm thinking right now, but am too tired to type out at the moment is that the papers Malcom have, have directions to a missionary outpost of the of monks order somewhere far away.

Relics have been offered up to the monks by the populice that they are ministering to, or they were unearthed or some such. Some artifacts that might candtradict certian teachings, perhaps things pertaining to Arwen or elves or other things. The quest is to journy there and retrieve the artifacts and bring them back to the monestary for proper "Disposel"

I emagine that preparation for the uncovering of our dear Lycan has been made, and the order is if he should ever show up the missionaries should keep him. That's what I'm thinking right now. That would allow us to stumble over some conflicting things to what our characters have been taught and cuase them to question.

any ideas? :P

Hope you guys like it.

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:52 am

Well then please by all means help me out. But if I may, I wanted to explain what I wrote. I think you all got the wrong idea of what I was saying.

When I said I wanted to ask Abbot about leaving, well, in my bio, it says I am running from someone. My character just wanted to out for a bit, because she hasn't been out in a while. Amd she wante to see if someone was still after her. She doesn't know about the Eaterling and the Hobbit leaving, nor does she know about the group of monks leaving, along with the lycan.

If you can help me out, I would certainly appreciate it. And if you can please not take this the wrong way.
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:01 pm

Great post Quim!

Aurabella - I love the way your character views mine. How she almost fears her at times yet is somewhat in awe...that's Ara! One moment she's sitting quietly the next she has a knife to someone's throat. :twisted:
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby gladrieltook » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:04 pm

Sorry all. I've been crazy-busy. I'll be going to post now :)
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:20 am

Surprize, not only does our party have a third(Avasa), but now a forth! May I introduce Kaveh...

Alliance: Easterling
Name: Kaveh Vahirn
Alias: Kharin Sahi (Meaning: Night Shadow)
Race: Easterling
Parents: Unknown
Siblings: None
Training: Warrior
Current Occupation: Assassin
Place of Birth: Far East
Current Residence: Minas Tirith
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175lb.
Hair Color and Length: Black, chin length
Eye Color: Light brown
Skin Color: Medium brown
Marked Areas: Upper and lower arms, and his upper back are marked with Easterling symbols
Outfit: A worn black monk's robe
Weapon of Choice: Haldberd
Weapons/Possessions: -
Fighting Skills: Fighting with haldberds, spears, and staffs
Personal Skills:
Personality: Mischievous, protective, head strong, short tempered
Marital Status: Single
Children: None
Animal Companions: -
Human Companions: Ara Ishahira
History: (A short history)Met Ara when he was seven, his parents had been killed in a tribal war and he was left on his own, so Ara watched over him. They have spent most of their lives together. When Ara's family was killed, despite the assassins that where after her, he followed after her...watching over her as she had watched over him. When they first arrived in Gondor they stayed together in Minas Tirith. When they herd that some of the assassins might have followed them into Gondor they decided that Ara should stay at the Monastery, he disguising himself as a monk from time to time to vist her. Hearing of her plans to leave the Monastery he has come once again to watch over her, though he would never admit to it. Kaveh and Ara love each other to death...they just sometimes want to kill eachother. Both are head strong and stubborn...neither would admit if they ever needed help, but they know eachother well enough to know if the other does need help.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby gladrieltook » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Sorc: Do you think you could draw Avasa? I keep trying to draw her, but it just won't come out right! lol. I love our new character btw. Although, you do realize this gives Lucy and Avasa liscense to tease without mercy. ;)
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Ulugz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:53 pm

OK! First let me say I am sooooooo sorry for having been so silent of late! :(
The computer at my office where I do most of my reading and posting from was crashed by a worm that Norton Anti virus failed to catch, and my home computer time is severely limited.
Combine that with my slow, (at best) typing skills, and the virus that hit me over New Years was almost overkill.

Trying to shovel six feet of snow from your deck when you can barely stand is no fun let me tell you!!! :shock: By that time the bronchial pneumonia was so entrenched I was starting to cough up blood with my phlem. (Needless to say my doctor was not happy with me when I finally managed to stagger into his office. He still calls me a suicidal mountian rat when I call in as ordered) :oops:

I hope I'm not too out of place with my post. It didn't look like you had written me off as yet. THANK YOU!!! :wink: :) :wink:
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aiwe » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:05 pm

:shock:

Ulugz, please get better! :grouphug:

*E-mails chocolates*

They're full of healthy antioxidants, dontcherknow. ;)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:34 pm

GT - Sure I can draw your character, are there any details you would like to add? :)

And tease at will! Kaveh will feed off it and it'll give me a chance to show the...interesting...relationship between the two of them.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Aiwe » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I'd love to see a rendition of Pi, if you've got time :). We could compare notes, since I draw too. :D

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:47 am

Its is that day. I had hoped it would not come but alas it has yet again. I am off to college, and I fear it is a place with no interent access to this sort of wonderful place for the likes of me. If I find an internet cafe' perhaps I will pop in from time to time but I must bid you all farewell for about three months.

Feel free to take charge of Malcom. I was thinking he could probably at some point turn into a bear and run off. Then if when I get back this thing is still going I can bring him back.

Its been a real pleasure rping with each of you :grouphug:

bye
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby gladrieltook » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:07 pm

Sorc: Thanks. I can do an art trade on Deviantart. Check my reply there. I finally got my scanner hooked up :D
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:40 pm

Quim! :( We'll miss you and your writing very much. :cry2:

Good luck with college. Malcom will have a good home while you're away. :)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:50 am

Quim, we will definetly miss your posts. But we'll keep Malcom safe until your return. :)

Alright, RL has been keeping me busy this last week or two. I'll try to get a post up soon. I've got alot of reading to do.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ulugz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:51 pm

Ummmmm, Choooocolaaate :P :)
Makes me feel better just thinking about it!
That and a hot brandy with honey and lemon... :twisted:

Thanks!
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

Postby gladrieltook » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:16 am

Motley Crew: So, question of the day. Should we help the others, thus revealing ourselves, or should we let them sort it out on their own?
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:43 pm

And remember: the Gondorian riders only shot Pi, the wild beast attacking a group of peaceful monks. I'm not so sure they wouldn't try to convince the monks to come back with them before killing any of them. Any thoughts? :?

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby AurabellaBolger » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:13 pm

Right. The soldiers aren't enemies, strictly speaking, though from a distance they might look like enemies. I've done some editing of my last post.
AurabellaBolger
Rider of the Mark

Postby ElvenChild1292 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:01 pm

Does this mean my post is okay? 'Cause I need to get posting...
ElvenChild1292
Shield Bearer

Postby gladrieltook » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:04 am

Hm. I'm going to wait until Sorc posts. Nice post, though, Aura!
gladrieltook
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:01 pm

Hmmm...I guess I should slip into this RP sometime soon. I think I'll look story so far later though. At the moment my mind isn't in a very creative mood. :roll: :|
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:14 am

Oooooooooo...I love how the story is going! :)

So it doesn't seem decided yet if Ara's group should join up with the main group...since they're not really in trouble but they look like they might...hmmm......unless someone else says something I guess I'll just figure something out in my next post, which hopefully should be tomarrow.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:46 am

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, guys. I've had so much happen this month in real life and I'm feeling a bit burned out right now. I'll try to write a post soon but the creative part of my brain just isn't responding. I'm still in. Don't forget me. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ulugz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:45 pm

Ok, a real breif bit of action. :horse: Split up the Gondorians and give Malcom an excuse not to be with us for a bit. I figure we can do the "Oh Pi, thank Eru that monster didn't get you!.." sort of thing, come dawn, or moonset, or whatever. But I think the captain is suspicious. Captains are always suspicious. :wink:

I seem to be setting myself up as a real horse-hater :shock: . Poor Herutha, Nerin's going to have to teach her to ride properly, or be doomed to hate the dwarfess for the way she treats her horse. Herutha really dosen't have anything against equines, she just never saw one before she ran away from home, so they are really big and scary to her. Of course she has no idea how to ride one, she grew up underground after all.
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)