The Burning Stars (ooc)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby undomiel » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:27 am

Yay! :) I am working on a post, but I have a question. (Suprise, suprise. ;)) Alright, so the Church of Eru is hiding the fact that Elves existed because it undermines their beliefs. Is it then reasonable to assume that knowledge of Ents has also been hidden? Also perhaps there is discrimination against dwarves? Humans having a kind of "We're the firstborn of Eru" attitude. Which would be very ironic since they're not.

Alright, neither of those were the question I first meant to ask. Here it is: If the Church is already hiding so much, is it reasonable to assume that their historical records are full of inaccuracies? For examle things intentionally altered to hide the truth, or simply mistakes because the records have been tampered with too often.

SorceressintheGoldenWood, hi. :) Your character sounds great. Looking forward to posting with you.

EDIT: Aiwe, great post. Nice characterization. Seems like the kind of guy Leorner would look down on though. ;)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:37 pm

first off let me say this. Undomiel, after reading your IC post I felt like I could kiss you...lol...War of the Wing...brilliant.

Just one thing I'd like you to add. You can edit it into your post or be sure to speak of it in another...Arwen/Armen was considered to be the daughter of Eru, thus giving the kingship the Godking persona.

Aiwe, I think I'm gonna pick up that hook. Nerin would love to spar with you.

Sorceress, welcome. It would be interesting to bring in your easterling character...especially after what Undomiel just posted about driving them out. Since then the easterlings could have become more submissive to the westerners...or she could be discriminated against by many because of her heritage. Welcome.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:36 pm

I am NOT applying to this thread. I just wanted to let you know that I got a great pleasure out of reading it. The characters are so vivid, and so different. And the War of the Wing? That was the stroke of genius.

So, Eldfess, once again you've got an eavesdropper. And an admirer. ;)

* Stalks away humming "I have a wwitwwe wwabbit and I wwuv him vewwy much. *
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Aiwe » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:47 pm

Aw, c'mon, Frelga! :D My wolfie needs you! :razz:

Back to you, Eldfess. ;)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:26 am

Not to reply to myself or anything like that... :roll:

Sorceress (do you have a preferred nickname?), Piyelan is half easterling. The other half you already know. ;) Perhaps there is room for character development there? :)

Perhaps she spots the tattoos down his spine? ;)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:18 am

Thanks. :D I was having alot of fun while I was making that stuff up. I plan to have more passages in future posts so I will talk about Arwen an another. :)

Sorceress, good post. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:27 pm

Aiwe, you can call me Sorc...that's what I usally go by. I like your idea...*rubs hands together*...this could be very good. Since the symbols tell a story perhaps their is a shared history between them. Where you left the parents of your character a mystery perhaps the parents of your character and mine lived in the same tribe. Or perhaps they lived in different tribes and ah, how should I put this...didn't get along so well? =:)

And a question...
Even though the monks train with weapons are they allowed to keep weapons other than a staff? Like swords, fighting knives, throwing knives...all of my characters seem to have an addiction to weapons! So I thought I might want to see if she would be allowed to have those weapons at the monastery with her. Also, what about animals? Even though they live at the monastery I'm guessing the monks might travel from time to time, so I'd presume they have horses at least?
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Aiwe » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:36 am

Sounds interesting. What if Pi's mum was from the same tribe that enslaved Ara? :twisted:

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:28 pm

Sounds good to me! :twisted:
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:19 pm

Alright, now I am applying to this thread.

* is thoroughly disgusted with her lack of willpower *

Eldfess, do you think you could allow a crypto-elf, a female who was born with the congenital anomaly of rounded ears and so survived the persecution? She could be a healer in the monastery, and should probably stay a supporting character.

If you are willing to consider this sort of an Elven character, I will post the bio. If not... I will remain a faithful reader of this thread.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Eldfess » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Frelga, I would love for you to be a part of this thread. I thoroughly respect your writing and characters. That being said I must say that the character you put doesn't sit well with me. However I do have an idea if you would like to play a small part and an elf. But I think that it will be a surprise for later for the others. Can you leave me your email adress so I can confer with you privately?
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:48 pm

Thanks, Eldfess. It's your thread, and your story, and a great story it is. I promise I won't badger you the way I did with Quiet as Rum. ;)

You can reach me at FRE1GA at yahoo (number 1 instead of letter L). It's a new character and I think I can make it work to your satisfaction. I like surprises!
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby undomiel » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:38 pm

Yay, Frelga! Glad you're joining us, even if it is later. :)

Eldfess, I have a couple more questions. (You're going to get really sick of me, aren't you? ;))

1. You mentioned a priest as a teacher in your first post and since you said to model this on the Medieval Catholic Church I thought I'd just mention that Monks weren't priests. The Abbot might have been a priest, but none of the regular monks. Monasteries were separate from Churches. So, do you want to combine the Churches and Monasteries in the RP or have them separate ala the Catholic Church?

2. Also, is this Abbot of Minas Tirith in on all the plotting and do you have any plans for him? I was going to use him in my next post so I just wanted to know how he should be played.

Thanks. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Tanith » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:02 pm

Hi eldfess!

I seem to recognise you're screename from somewhere, have we RPed together before?

Regardless, this sounds really interesting, and I'm considering joining (if you'll have me of course :angel:)

I'll check back when i've made my decision... I'm in another RP thats taken off lately, and is taking up much of my time :)

Tanith.
Tanith
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aiwe » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:57 pm

OK, ve haf posted, ja...

Eldfess, let me know if I'm taking over Nerin too much. I'll be happy to edit.

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:28 am

Just wanted to let you all know that I'll be gone Thursday till Sunday. But I might be around early Thursday to check on the story.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Aiwe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:51 pm

Undt ve haf posted again! :roll:

Elfshadow, I don't know Lianna very well. Did I write her reactions pretty close to the way they should have been, or should I edit? :)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:35 pm

"As she did so, she saw the wolf twist and writhe, shedding fur, until it seemed..human. Not just human, it was Piyelan--Ara couldn't see his face, but she knew him by his dark skin and for the black tattoos that ran down his spine, throat and collarbone."

Aiwe, did you mean to use Li instead of Ara? Although Ara is the one who would fit there. But from Li's post she went alone to the infirmery(sp) so is Ara seeing this from the hall? Whichever the case, if I don't post before tomarrow evening I leave it to you guys.

Feel free to write for my character while I'm gone. To give you a better idea of her personality she's a bit of a trouble-maker, sarcastic sence of humor, dosen't really give a care to authority(kind of your 'rebel without a cause' types), she's not easily shocked, nothing along the lines of blood, war, or death really scares her(she's been in quiet a few fights herself), one thing that does worry her is people discovering her past(seeing her markings is her greatest insecurities), and even though she can be a bit of a tease sometime, because of her past, she's afraid to get really close to men. I hope this gives you guys a better idea what Ara is like.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby Aiwe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:57 pm

Eeek! :shock: Sorry, was thinking Li and wrote Ara. :oops: I will change it post haste.

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby SorceressintheGoldenWood » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:59 pm

Alright. :) Just thought I'd make sure.
SorceressintheGoldenWood
Mariner

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:10 am

I must say I am very intregued by this RP. :D :twisted: I love the concept. So seeing as all my old threads have apparently died off *sniff* :cry: May I join this one? pwetty pwease!? :angel: If yes, I'll post a bio ASAP for approval. :D :angel:
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Ulugz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:32 pm

Khuzd ai-mênu! Well, at least she's posted a bit more. In case you're wondering Mahal is just the dwarvish (Khuzdul) name for the Valar Aulë, the Maker who created them way back when.
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

Postby elfshadow » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:46 pm

Hey there everyone! Great posts, all :).

Aiwe, you wrote Li's reactions excellently. She's pretty easily shocked. I think most people would be if they stumbled upon a werewolf...:D
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby Aiwe » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:09 pm

Thanks, Elfshadow. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess her up completely. :wink:

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:00 pm

Well, I didn't get a reply, so here's my bio. If I am accepted, and the bio approved, I will post ASAP.

Name: Echo Undyn
Race: Human
Eyes: Black iris flecked with silver
Hair: Black, slightly wavy, hip length
Description: Slender and trim, she stands at a height of 5’5”. Her wavy black hair falls to about hip length, and is usually half pulled back with a black ribbon, curling wispy strands falling into her eyes. Her skin has only a light tan, as her skin doesn’t tan very easily, and she spends a bit of her time indoors studying from old books and manuscripts. She has bold features and sharp cheekbones. The irises of her eyes are an unusual black, flecked with silver, which causes most people who pay any attention to give them a second glance. She wears a form fitting black shirt with loose flowing sleeves, with a set of loose black pants that to the casual eye give the appearance of a skirt. On her feet she wears worn, blackened, leather slipper-like shoes. A pendant crafted of artfully twisted silver wire hangs from a black ribbon around her neck. Over all she wears a light, think black cloak that flows to the floor.
History: Unlike most of the other occupants of the monastery, she is not a monk so much as a minor taken into the guardianship of the church of Eru. Her body was found (probably 8 months prior to the start of the RP) bloody and broken on the banks of a nearby stream, cold as death, chilled by the frigid waters. Upon discovering that she yet lived, the widow that found her took her to the monks at the monastery, knowing that she herself had no means of caring for the girl. Over a month or so of care, the majority of the girl’s external wounds had healed, but it was quickly discovered that she had a severe case of amnesia, unable to remember anything about herself or the world around her. However her physical memory somehow was preserved, leaving her with knowledge of combat techniques etc. (kind of like riding a bike: even if you forget, your body remembers.) She walks with a very slight, almost unnoticeable, limp still. In the months following her recovery, one of the monks taught her to read, and since then she had spend countless hours in the monastery’s scroll room, pouring through manuscript after dusty manuscript, in an futile attempt to regain the memory she lost. Another thing that was noticed about her after some time was that she had the uncanny and unexplained ability of knowing the most unusual and secret things about people. The monks aren’t sure if it’s simply attentiveness, or possibly something else?
Personality: She is silent and observant in most situation, being very reserved until she is sure of herself and the situation. She is the same way with people she doesn’t know and trust. She pays attention to things that most people would ignore or overlook. Once she feels familiar and comfortable with a person or situation, she will usually open up and relax.
Other: An unusual twisting black tattoo in on the back of her neck, almost always hidden from sight by her hair.
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:22 am

Well, I haven't had much time for writing RP posts lately, but I'll get one up soon. I haven't disappeared. :)

ElfMaiden, that sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully Eldfess will show up soon so you can get posting. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:40 am

elfmaiden, your character bio fits here nicely. I am sorry for being away everyone...just started a new job and its been hell trying to get online. I need to check the IC thread and see where things are.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:04 pm

:D yay. I'll post as soon as i can.
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:18 pm

Yay! A quest! Must contrive a reason for them to take along a snotty scholar...
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:27 pm

elfmaiden, how are you going to join our party?
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)