OOC- Tribulation

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Wandering but not lost » Sat May 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Want to realize how old people are? Shadowfax was the second poster to reach 1000 posts :-p Now thats old!!!
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Postby Shadowfax » Sat May 27, 2006 6:27 pm

Galhadrim wrote:What's really amazing to me is that I'm the young buck around here and I still feel like I've been on TORC forever.

:D

Whipper snapper!!!!!!!!!!!

Where'd I put my teeth? :blush:

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:36 pm

~

Hey Wandering! Nice that you dropped in!

We old ones still like to 'play' together! :P

Hey guys, here's a news flash to think about while Torc is down for the next few days. After getting in touch with Strider, guess what who's going to have a go at writing the 'bad guys!' :rofl: Me! :woah:

Stay tuned folks! :D

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Hunter wrote:~

Hey Wandering! Nice that you dropped in!

We old ones still like to 'play' together! :P

Hey guys, here's a news flash to think about while Torc is down for the next few days. After getting in touch with Strider, guess what who's going to have a go at writing the 'bad guys!' :rofl: Me! :woah:

Stay tuned folks! :D

~

:shock:

..........but you're to nice to be bad!

:P

I eagerly await!

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:24 pm

Whoo hoo! Wait...evil...that calls for...

Boo! Hiss!

Do we get monsters? I want monsters. Or pirates could be cool. Yarr, matey!
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby Shadowfax » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:41 pm

Freahelm wrote:Whoo hoo! Wait...evil...that calls for...

Boo! Hiss!

Do we get monsters? I want monsters. Or pirates could be cool. Yarr, matey!

Evil Pirate Monsters that Hiss!!!!!! Yeah!

Shadowfax
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:47 pm

~

Shadowfax said:
..........but you're to nice to be bad!

:D :D I know! But I have =:) -ish and :twisted: thoughts running through my head!

Anyway, I'll be creating some new alternate ID's for the villains, the first of which will be a guy named Angus Rathburn.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:21 pm

Muhahahahahahahahaha! You realize it's the nice ones who have the most up their sleeves don't you? Personally - I can't WAIT to see what she's got in store :D Be afraid...

Hey Wandering! Nice to see you! :)

Oh, Galhadrim...you're still a newbie...sorry LOL

8)
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:33 pm

strider- wrote:Muhahahahahahahahaha! You realize it's the nice ones who have the most up their sleeves don't you? Personally - I can't WAIT to see what she's got in store :D Be afraid...

Hey Wandering! Nice to see you! :)

Oh, Galhadrim...you're still a newbie...sorry LOL

8)

Alas it is true! I married such a person years ago! :lol:

Angus.............

Sorry..........but I now have a mental image of Angus in my head. The lead guitar player for AC DC is named Angus.............so he looks like him! :shock:

Shadowfax
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:37 pm

~

lol Redneck!!! :rofl:

~

Greetings everyone, from the ‘nice one!’ :)

First off, thanks for waiting while I put together some information to lay the foundation for the ‘bad guys.’ I’m posting this to give everyone an idea of where I’m going without giving out too much information. :) When I first started thinking about who could be behind the attack on Jaxon I started doing research into her back-story (and there’s a lot of it! :shock: ) instead of just trying to come up with a completely new adversary with no ties to her past. Strider has written a well rounded and complex character and I couldn’t pick just one from the many possible ‘enemies’ who would wish to do Jaxon harm soooooo…I’m preparing to go in different directions with more than one antagonist and hopefully tie them together.

A couple will be new creations (with ties to old, deceased enemies) but I will also draw on some old enemies from the past that were created by other writers who (to the best of my knowledge) no longer role-play. My apologies for hijacking these characters and I hope that if any of their creators ever read this, they will forgive me and not cry ‘foul.’

Now, some of you may be thinking that perhaps I’ve bitten off more than I’m capable of (and you may be right), but I decided when all of the ideas started coming together in my mind that this story was important and I would put all my energy into doing my part to make this a great story, one that could be understood and followed by any who happened to stumble across it.

As you can see by my last post (as Pun), I’ve brought back a couple of characters from the past. I don’t intend for them to meet up with Jaxon and Co. just yet, but if anyone wishes to bring in any additional characters to join them, you are welcome. :) The ‘Blue Water’s Inn’ is located off the Old Forest Road on the eastern shore of the Anduin near the Old Ford.

Does anyone have a problem with the slow pace this story has? All of us lead RL’s. I plan on being here for the duration, but sometimes I just don’t have time to sit down and write and may be MIA for a few days or a week or two.

~

I felt the need to create alternate ID’s so that no one (including myself) gets confused! :roll: Hopefully it will help, but if it turns out that all I’m doing is confusing everyone else, let me know.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Galhadrim » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:18 am

I love it! The more plot threads the better.

It's great to see a resurgance of old characters. I've been picking away at Heritage in my spare time and have enjoyed getting to know those characters all over again. The edited version, which I'll have to post somewhere sometime, is still 200K words and 450 pages long. I've cut out all the minor characters that started but did not finish and tried to pull story arcs together into a coherent tale. I'm also going to de-Tolkienize it. Mealin is going from Dwarf to huge warrior and the elves are gone. I've written very little new material, most of what I've done so far is delete posts and characters so I can boil it down to it's essence: boy king embraces his heritage. It's fun and it gives me an excuse to not write anything of my own.

:D
Galhadrim
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:55 pm

you may have to go back a bit farther than Heritage to find what Hunter's dug up ;) and Mealin...not a dwarf! SACRILEGE! :shock:

Slow pace sounds great...my only problem is how stunned I am and I end up forgetting details! I'm amazed at what you've done so far Hunter! Well done and I can't wait to see how we all unfold it!
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:27 pm

WHAT! Mealin a Human!!!!!!!

You will be hearing from my lawer in the morning G! :P

Wow.............Pun returns! :shock: Lots of old names and characters are coming back to life in my brain.........albiet slowly......lol.

But I must ask you this Hunter. Is the mastermind behind all this evil a 'magical baby'? :lol: .........sorry, had to ask!

It's boggles my mind when I think of the years this group has been adventuring together!

Shadowfax!

P.S. Slow paced posting is fine with me!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:39 pm

~

Galhadrim wrote:
I've been picking away at Heritage in my spare time and have enjoyed getting to know those characters all over again. The edited version, which I'll have to post somewhere sometime, is still 200K words and 450 pages long. I've cut out all the minor characters that started but did not finish and tried to pull story arcs together into a coherent tale.

Galhadrim, I've thought about doing that same thing before with the stories I have saved, but never have the spare time! :lol:

Shadowfax wrote:
But I must ask you this Hunter. Is the mastermind behind all this evil a 'magical baby'? .........sorry, had to ask!

'Magical baby?' Bite your tongue!!! :nono:

Shadowfax wrote:
It's boggles my mind when I think of the years this group has been adventuring together!

It's been a long time!!!

That's one of the main reason's I felt I could tackle this! :)

I started posting with Shadowfax, Strider and Freahelm in 'Awakening Fyre.' Then came 'Heritage' and the addition of Tempest and Galhadrim. A great core of writers!

But there was also a story called 'Freedom' which was transfered over from the very first messageboard. In that story, Strider first created Jaxon and Shadowfax was also 'born' there. As I've said elsewhere before, when I first came to this messageboard I read alot!

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Galhadrim » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:21 am

The new version of Heritage has to go through many revisions. i'm dropping and combining characters right and left. Here's the description of the new Mealin:

Mealin was tall and broad like all of his kind. His muscles bulged in the sun and sweat glistened on his brownish skin. He wiped his hand across his bald head and dried it on the loose white linens he wore over his torso and midsection. His face had four straight scars that ran from his right temple down across his cheekbone. Three were faded light tan due to age. The fourth and lowest was deep purple.

He's now a member of a Sagath tribe that lives in the northern forests and he uses metal shod clubs instead of an axe. Later in the story, Pun asks Khaile about him:

Pun thanked him and they rode together for a moment. Pun looked back to see that Aramere and Mealin were several horselengths back with Naveen at the rear of the column. “Khaile, do you know much about Mealin’s people?”

“The Othnell? They are a Sagath tribe that lives north in the forests. They keep to themselves a lot.”

“He called himself a Scarred Man. Those marks on his face, they’re not from an animal’s claws are they?”

Khaile glanced back. “You perceive correctly. They are ritual scars for victories in… well, duels I suppose you’d call them.”

“Is four a lot?”

Khaile thought about his answer. He crossed his hands and rested them on the pommel of his saddle. “The Othnell are warriors first and foremost. They prize strength and combat skill above all else. At certain times they come into conflict with each other and a fight to the death is declared. Now, I’m not an expert on all their customs but I know that it’s normal for an Othnell warrior to have one or two scars, maybe three if you have exceptional prowess. But four…” he gathered up the reins and looked over his shoulder. “With four you just like killing.”
Galhadrim
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:10 am

I was looking over Heritage a few days ago. I had forgotten what fun it was!! Great storyline and good character development! I'm glad you're putting it together. One of the things that made it so good was also the fact that we actually finished it. :) So many another threads just peter out.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:11 pm

can anyone else get the stupid search function to work?
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:44 pm

~

LOL!

I found it frustrating :pull: too when I went back to look through the old threads, but then I stumbled on an easy way to find threads and it only takes a little bit of time.

Click on the profile button (try your own). It brings you to a profile page. At the top, on the left hand side, you'll find a link to all of your posts with the thread name listed. The threads are listed with the newest threads first.

This works well for finding either posts written by yourself or for other threads you're looking for if all you can remember is who posted in them and either can't remember the thread title, or if the title was changed.

Happy Hunting!!! :thppt: I've been doing alot of research in the old threads!!

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:27 pm

I'm thinking maybe you need to be a Premiere Member or something? Unless I'm blind 8) which is totally possible....or a link to Heritage and Awakening Fyre would suit me also ;) hint hint :D
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Ha! Well, here's hoping I threw a wrench or two in the works.

I suppose I ought to note - my unspoken 'backstory' of Freahelm had actually had him fighting for a time as a mercenary near Rhun prior to when he came into the Prancing Pony (before this thing even started). I had no idea it would actually fit in. This is cool.

And ditto to Strider's 'hint' for a link. I'm thinkin' I need to do a bit of reading up in 'Heritage.'
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby ~Pun~ » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:33 pm

~

Strider wrote:
I'm thinking maybe you need to be a Premiere Member or something? Unless I'm blind which is totally possible.

Nope, works with this sign in. :P

Hands Strider a pair of glasses :roll:

Look down, at the bottom of the box where the message is. On yours I see two buttons-one labeled profile, the other, send message.

The profile button brings you to the profile page. At the top (of the profile page), on the left hand side, you'll find a link to all of your posts with the thread name listed. The threads are listed with the newest threads first.

Now I'll let you make fun of me- I'll post a link, but I'm warning you, everytime I've tried to in the past, I mess it up. Crosses fingers, closes eyes....

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=3603&highlight=
Awakening Fyre

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=29673&highlight=
Heritage

Hey! It worked!

Okay, now that thats done I'll clue everyone in....I've been doing most of my research for the current 'bad guys' in Awakening Fyre. I'll use the Heritage backstory later when I write more as Pun, but it isn't necessary to go back and read the threads, you'll get no clues on what I'm up to doing that.

All I'm doing is picking up information from the story and using bits and pieces of what has already been laid out to form starting points for my character. I'll also use other bits of information, places and other such stuff and expand on them...putting in my own twists!

Take Rathburn as an example. He came into being from this small paragraph in a post written by Seraphim in Fyre (page 15, 4th post)

The city also had a secret underground society. Rathburn is only a visible figure head, all dealings of black market items went through the Society. The leader of the Society has never been seen. Some say he is an Elf from Mirkwood, others say tis only a man, but a man with great power. A few even hint that the leader is not a man at all, but a woman!

What has happened in the backstories (Fyre and Heritage) will not be changed on a whim to make it fit...there is a method to my madness and perfectly logical (to me! :P ) explanations for everything I've written or will write....you'll just have to wait and see. :angel:

~
~Pun~
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Galhadrim » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Didn't Pun sacrifice his magic at the end of Heritage in order to save a mortally wounded Furia? (He asks rhetorically because he knows the answer.)
Galhadrim
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Galhadrim wrote:Didn't Pun sacrifice his magic at the end of Heritage in order to save a mortally wounded Furia? (He asks rhetorically because he knows the answer.)

Yep. :o

Those links to the old posts blow me away! That was almost six years ago we started all this! An eternity in cyberspace! 8)

BTW...Seraphim was me! :P

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm having somewhat of a dilemma with Akara. When I originally joined the thread, her back story was pretty set, but then I discovered what your time line is---before the War of the Ring. Hmmm...it wouldn't worry me except that I'll have other threads I've been in that won't match up. Have you guys faced this before? Does it matter? Should I be worried that it's bothering me? :roll:
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:29 pm

~

Tempest wrote:
Should I be worried that it's bothering me?

LOL, THAT is a loaded question!!! You could be showing signs of some sort of Rp fixation! :shock:

On a serious note, no I've never faced your dilemma and hope you revolve it to your satisfaction.

~

Shadowfax wrote:
Those links to the old posts blow me away! That was almost six years ago we started all this! An eternity in cyberspace!

Does that means we are immortal!?! :P

On a side note...yes, Pun did sacrific his magic....but....

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:30 pm

Tempest, that's actually the exact same thing I've wondered about with Freahelm. I've never used him in anything except post-War settings, and his is the most fleshed out of any character I have.

I'm almost treating this as an 'alternate timeline' sort of situation. I know I can't reconcile it with Freahelm's 'real' story, so rather than have any entirely different character with the same name (which is just silly), I'm just treating it as if the same Freahelm had lived in a different time and different place.

Of course, this creates problems - the only backstory I have now for Freahelm is what I've revealed so far within this thread. But, in a way, this actually gives me a bit more liberty with him than I would have had otherwise.

Anyway, I hope that helps.
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby Galhadrim » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:59 am

Never let the facts get in the way of telling a good story.
Galhadrim
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Freahelm, I think I'll go with what you said and try to suspend my feeling of disbelief that Akara would actually exist at this time in history. :)
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:49 pm

Hmm...

Could one of the really old guard maybe give me a brief refresher on the Sagath? I recall them showing up in the old Freedom thread, but I don't recall some of the exact connections, but I do know that vestiges of their influence lingers in this thread and others. I just want to make sure of my footing before I explain why Freahelm's acting like such a bonehead.
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby strider- » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:07 pm

wow good memory there Freahelm - Freedom was indeed a lifetime ago :) The Sagath were a creation of Magpie Jen and Jon Goatleaf...talk about a blast from the past. They were the "enemy" for a time in Freedom, they invaded Fornost but at the time were under the control of wicked twins who had little authority in Rhun - an illegal war as it was. Suffice it to say at one time they were led by wicked rulers for a time after the murder of their King (aramere's uncle) - until Aramere returned home.

They are a fierce warrior-type and sort of desert tribal race who are passionate about glory and honour (think Klingons with better hygiene and more handsome looks but with the infighting of the scottish clans). They are a desert people, the land very dear to them and almost godlike and closer to the Sea there are vinyards and farms. The royal family a special affinity for the Sea.

For a time there was a great drought and lots of infighting as many felt the land cursed because of the murder of the King Saaryn - rumbles of rebellion. (There was also a patrol called the Black Watch who were the personal guards to the evil "kind" at one point, the people did not like them, they were kind of like the KGB.)

Once Aramere was fixed as king the land almost immediately returned to normal. Factions of the old "evil" supporters still exist though (thinking a half-breed as King distasteful).

I hope this helped :)
strider-
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)