Bard's Festival!! The Spring Fling. (Love/Encouragement)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Jiyadan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:40 pm

"Ai yi yi, a real caballero pequeño. ¡Es bueno! Almost like being in the desert court."

Jiyadan's eyebrows rose slightly at the comment of Façade's sister. A small smirk tugged the corners of his mouth but he remained silent and otherwise impassive to the remark.

He listened to the Fool's reasons why he would not sing that day as he picked at the remains of his meal, but when his sister encouraged him for a song anyway, a plea taken quickly up by the boy also, Jiyadan found he had little choice but to join in.

"Yes Façade, won't you sing for us?"

Façade at last relented, and he and his sister both performed quite a magnificent song that struck Jiyadan quite singularly as being from his homeland. He had not heard this song before, but the notes, the lyrics and the entire feel it envoked in the hearer were undoubtedly Harad.

When the two had returned both to the table and their sibbling-banter, Jiyadan smiled again, thanking both for the performance and mentioning briefly how it had touched him. If there was time later, perhaps, he would ask further after it.

The banter continued and soon was turned to that eternal dance between lovers, flitting back and forth between desire and madness.

When the question of who was or was not a scoundrel was raised, and the question turned somewhat rhetorically to himself, he was shocked. Especially as Lina winked at him over her mug. A slight blush coloured his cheeks and he smiled in that polite way of which Lina had spoke.

"Perhaps it is not all I do, but I will leave that for my actions rather than my tongue to speak. Few and cheap are the words from any lips when speaking of ones self. I may even, perhaps, prove Façade's claim that not all men are as you say your cousin is." He gave a bit more sly of a smile then and his eyes flicked to the Fool with a grin.
Jiyadan
Ranger of the North

Postby The_Fool » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:21 pm

“Perhaps it is not all I do, but I will leave that for my actions rather than my tongue to speak. Few and cheap are the words from any lips when speaking of ones self. I may even, perhaps, prove Façade's claim that not all men are as you say your cousin is.”

“Ha!” Façade barked in triumph, slapping the palm of his hand down onto the table. “Allí es hermana!”*

“Ai yi yi,” Lina moaned in mock despair, leaning back in her chair and pressing a slender hand to her forehead. She was grinning, the hand doing more to hide the delighted gleam in her dark eyes than to further her defeated display. “Eso es malo. They win again!”

“So we do,” Façade replied with a broad grin. His sister was lightening his spirits again, as she also managed to do, and Lufu’s currently quiet presence was also a comfort. He had missed the lad since the wedding, had hated to think how horrible a picture he must have painted. “And what is the reward little sister?”

“Your reward?” Lina exclaimed, turning wide eyes to Frelga. “Ai! You hear him? He wants a reward for being himself. And on top of that he wants a reward for his amigo de caballero, who we do not know yet enough to know if he deserves a reward at all!”

Turning in her seat she fixed both men with an ambiguous look; one which was sly and thoroughly amused. The corners of her mouth were quirked upwards, giving that smug impression a cat gives so effortlessly; that it is convinced it holds more secrets than any mere human could possibly comprehend. Her eyes flicked to Lufu, sitting on her brother’s lap. “What do you think muchacho? Do you think they deserve a reward?”

The young Rohirrim swallowed his mouthful of pie pastry and frowned a little. “I think Façade is a good horse and a good singer,” he said finally. “And I think it is sad he did not get a Bard pin like my mom.”

At the boy’s reply Lina’s smile grew into a broad grin and she laughed, delighted. “So maybe he doesn’t need a pin eh? Back in our Clan, he is the best guitarrista, the best guitar player, we have and you can’t go past a Shi’uri musician for skill. His singing of course, is a little too fine.” She gave her brother a teasing wink. “Not enough...” She paused searching for the right word, hands moving expressively as if to pluck it from the air. “Not enough alma cruda,** not enough showing his soul. He worries too much about making it sound just right. But still, when he lets himself go, es duende.”***

- - - - - - - - -

* There it is sister.
** Raw soul
*** It is magic, passion, energy, artistic excellence.
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:13 am

Frelga found Lina's take on relationships somewhat startling. "Well, if you let an idiot into your… ah, tent, who is to blame?" she thought, but managed to keep her mouth shut by pursing it tightly.

Lufu was quiet, too, and more than a bit sleepy. Lina's words set him to some serious thinking.

"Not enough… Not enough alma cruda, not enough showing his soul. He worries too much about making it sound just right. But still, when he lets himself go, es duende."

"It does end, though," the puzzled boy said after a moment. "Is it true that you don't need a pin, Façade? Is it because you are a man? Mum really likes hers."

"I already have a pin, Lufu," Façade told him. "But one doesn't need a pin to be a Bard."

"What you need," Lufu announced in a voice that was an echo of his mother's, "is a good strong woman."

"Lufu!" Frelga gasped, pressing both hands and a handful of golden braid against her now-crimson face as laughter erupted around the table.

Over by the bar, Gylfa stood up in alarm. Excusing himself to Lady Heather, he quickly crossed over to Frelga and put his hand on her shoulder. "Are you well, dear?"

"Oh yes, quite well," Frelga's assured him. Her voice was strained from suppressed laughter and muffled by the thick hair she pulled across her face, but somehow she managed to make introductions to her companions.

Lufu jumped off Façade's lap and ran over to his father. "It's not my fault!" the alarmed boy insisted

"Your son thinks mi hermano needs a good strong woman to mind him," the gypsy explained.

"As do all men," the Rider replied gravely.

"But mom says Façade needs it more than most."

Not even Gylfa could keep his earnest expression at that. He threw his head back with a deep chuckle. "Does she now? You better watch out then, Façade. You don't know your peril. This is the woman who married my cousin to a Dunlanding."

"He is a Prince among them, it was a brilliant political move, and she is deliriously happy with him," Frelga returned, in what was clearly an old and enjoyable argument. "And I had nothing to do with that."

"Except browbeating the bride…"

"What? That silly goose was wailing days away on my shoulder, telling me what a wonderful man he was, except for being a Dunlanding."

"And shouting down everyone else, up to and including…"

"I did not shout," Frelga interrupted. She went on with great dignity, "I am perfectly capable of browbeating people without raising my voice."

"So you will find Façade a wife?" Lufu inquired, with a glance at his friend.

"Not likely," Frelga snorted. "Not that it would be hard, mind," she hastened to add, so as not to offend the blonde Bard even further.
Last edited by Frelga on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Mellaurelom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:36 pm

With a stretch and a yawn, Mell downed the last of her cider. She stood, then looked down at her table companions, "Well, Teth, Windy, that you for a fine evening, I believe I shall be retiring to my room. I'll be flying back to Rivendell with the dawn, so I'd best be getting to sleep." She looked across the subdued common room, "Besides, I don't think Parm will be getting away before tomorrow anyway." She gave Teth a quick hug, then turned for the stairs.

Once in her room, she washed her face in the water basin, then dropped onto the bed, asleep as her head hit the pillow.
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:02 pm

This Space For Rent...
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Tethairwen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:56 pm

With a stretch and a yawn, Mell downed the last of her cider. She stood, then looked down at her table companions, "Well, Teth, Windy, thank you for a fine evening, I believe I shall be retiring to my room. I'll be flying back to Rivendell with the dawn, so I'd best be getting to sleep." She looked across the subdued common room, "Besides, I don't think Parm will be getting away before tomorrow anyway." She gave Teth a quick hug, then turned for the stairs.

Teth turned to Windy. “It sounds as if the rain has stopped,” she noted, sighing and leaning back in her chair. “I really need to get back to Aldberg. I only have a week’s leave left, and it is a far piece to travel.”

Windy nodded, and held out his hand. “Until we meet again, then.” Teth shook his hand, then picked up her bundle, went to the hearth for her cloak, and disappeared into the night.

The rain had indeed lessened, now only a mist, and she strapped her bundle to her belt and entered the stable. A large horse stood, untied, in the last stall. Only the light patches of his coat pattern stood out in the dark, and as she approached, he nickered softly. “Alright, I’m ready to go,” she murmured, leaping to his broad back. Teth stroked his thick neck, and they passed silently out of the stable, heading south toward the plains of Rohan, with only faint hoof prints in the mud to mark their passing.
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby The_Fool » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:26 pm

“Not likely. Not that it would be hard, mind.”

Jiyadan grinned. "I agree. Every man needs a woman. But rare are the women that can put up with eccentric men."

Façade smiled wanly at the table, long fingers twisting distractedly at one of the rings on his fingers. The truth was he was not adverse to the idea of having a wife. He knew above all certainty that he wanted children but there was no woman yet with whom he had felt he could spend the rest of his life with. No woman with whom he could share every part of his life, both good and bad. Even with the Scribe he had shrunk away from revealing the more intimate details of his past. Not that they had ever had more than an excessively unsettling relationship. He shied away from the memories, not willing to tread that path.

Seated beside her brother Lina put out a gentle hand, laying it over his and shaking her head just a fraction. “Venga en el hermano. Ti ha estado haciendo así bien.”* That pale watery smile came again and the Fool laid his other hand over his sister’s, holding it tight. “Estaca,” Lina murmured, grinning at him.

“Camarón,” he shot back, the smile widening from pale to brilliant, his amber-brown eyes on the table.

The corners of the gypsy woman’s mouth twitched upwards into a quick smirk and freeing her hand she pressed her fingers to her lips, then placed them gently on her brother’s cheek. He could be so fragile it frightened her. The Rohirrim woman was right, he needed a strong woman, but more importantly, he needed a woman who could love him with patience. Façade was not, by Lina’s reckoning, an easy man to love. There were many insecurities that dwelt beneath the surface, uncertainties as to why and if he should be given the gift of someone’s love. Recently she had noticed a new fear within him. He seemed afraid to give love, as if certain that it would be snatched from him as surely as he must draw a new breath. She hoped it would not last, and was doing her best to give him the support he so desperately needed.

“Well,” she said finally, turning to Lufu and giving the boy a soft smile, “I don’t think mi hermano is ready for a wife just yet. But there is plenty of time hmm? He is not so old as he looks.”

“Or as old as I feel,” Façade snorted, gulping down a final mouthful of cider. “Which makes me wonder if perhaps I am exactly as old as I am inclined to believe.”

Clicking her tongue Lina shook a finger at him. “Hush. At this rate you’ll be senil, old, before your time. And then what will I tell the women eh?”

“That I’m taking my nap?” Façade quipped, a mischievous expression gracing his features for a moment.

“I find many reflect their wished-for age in their actions, whether older or younger.” Jiyadan remarked. “Though the pity it is when age, old or young, dances beyond the grasp of those who seek it.”

“You listen to your amigo,” Lina said to Façade. “It is an insight of wisdom and value.”

“I shall store it well,” he promised, tapping a long finger to his temple and smiling at Jiyadan. “And yours too Master Lufu.” The boy beamed at this, pleased to finally be included in the grown up conversation.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

*Come on brother. You are doing so well
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby Cerridwen » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:29 pm

After the shock of seeing her erstwhile inner companion tangibly separate from her, and getting the little creature to eat something, Cerri gathered the little one into her lap and listened to the rest of the proceedings. She accepted, with some amusement, the pin that wafted to her across the room from the stage, and ran a finger over it before putting it in one of her pouches.
Bard Exemplar... She was getting closer, then. With the little dragon more separate from her now, she was getting close indeed.
I don't like my name anymore.
"Really?" Cerri returned softly. "What would you like?"
I don't know. The little manifestation curled up and put her knuckle in her mouth.
"Well, tell me when you know, and I'll call you something different," Cerri said. She felt the child nod her head more than she heard her murmuring reply.
She supposed that the girl would want a nap soon. Having never raised a little dragon, she didn't quite know what to expect of one. She was more comfortable with human children...
She sighed, wondering what she would do about it all. She had no idea how to find dragons to take the little beggar, or even if they would. Cats ate kittens that didn't belong to them. She wondered if dragons were like that.
The stories of their treatment of men boded ill for their treatment of their own broods.
She sat and thought, listening to the wisps of conversation, as the nearly-transparent though very solid little girl drifted to sleep in her lap.
Cerridwen
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)