Role Play 101 - A New Semester

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Role Play 101 - A New Semester

Postby erinhue » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:14 am

) I tried digging around but I could not find the original thread but I did have most of it saved so I'm just gonna take that, post it here and start all over again)

One of my favorite things here at TORC is strapping on a sword and hitting the adventure trail down in The Prancing Pony. Yep Role Play is a big thing with a lot of us and it can be for you too.

Now I been here awhile and I’ve seen’em come and go and never venture a single post in the Pony. They hide out here in Welcome or debate until they’re blue in the face about if Balrog’s have wings (oh no ya don’t I wouldn’t be dragged kicking and screaming back into that one) or examining how many hairs they show growing out of Gandalf’s ears in the latest trailer.
That’s all fine entertainment, if ya like it, so are quilting circles.

Now a lot of folk would like to get out there and slice a few orc necks and fight the good fight against the insidious forces of evil, but they think ya gotta be Tolkien reincarnated or at least David Eddings (shh not here) to get in on the fun. Not true, heck they let me post there so…..

So, you can do it too, all it takes is a little song a little dance a little seltzer down your pants, no no that’s not it but if ya still wanna stick around (and are prepared to pay the phenomenal nominal fee) I’ll show ya the ropes and I am sure some of the other characters down there will be glad ta add their 25 cents(inflation) as well.
erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby erinhue » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:17 am

First things first, get yourself a character. Now if you're calling yourself something your mamma didn't you already got a start. Just take it further. Who is that person with your screen name. Maybe you know, maybe you just liked that particular name or maybe after 89 tries that was the first combination of letters that didnt get thrown back in your face.

Whatever now your stuck with the name ( unless ya ask Ted or Jon reeeeeeal nice)so what kind of person goes with it? Elf, Hobbit, just plain folks or the Grand Wizard Archemedies, it doesn't matter just when ya pick one try to stick with it for a while.

You can stop at that or try to take it further, fill out the character, perhaps think on what sort of background they might have, or dive in full blown psycho and figure it out down to the color of his/her grandmother's hair. (I can tell ya what Erinhue has in his pockets)

The point is to give it some thought and live with that guy/gal for a bit so you can think how they might react to various situations.
erinhue

Postby erinhue » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:24 am

Prof. Erinhue finished writing his opening address on the board and went back to his desk. Agarak had decided that attending any sort of class was not something it wanted to do and so the dragonharp had made itself scarce, vanishing in a poof of irritated orange smoke.

"Class always does run smoother if Agarak is elsewhere." Erinhue said to himself. It was early and there were no students as yet enrolled. Perhaps he should get out there and try to interest a few people in signing up before they decided to cancel the class altogther.

It was early however and there weren't any students as of yet so instead of getting up, Erinhue settled in, unfolded his copy of the Middle Earth Gazzette and asked Agarak for a second cup of coffee. The dragonharp did not return from whereever it had gone but it did oblige and refill the bard's mug with a steaming mocha latte.

Erinhue began to read the paper and enjoy his coffee, while waiting for a few students to wander in.
erinhue

Postby Mellaurelom » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:43 am

With her hair in pigtails, a plaid pleated skirt swishing about her knees, a half elf came bouncing into the classroom, clutching a pile of books. "Professor Erinhue, am I late?" she asked breathlessly. "I brought my homework in, here you go sir." She plopped a pink folder covered in little red hearts on the desk of the Bard. He glanced down at the folder, smiling a bit at what was writted absentlindedly in some of the hearts <Melly loves Aragorn....Melly loves Legolas...etc> Then opened the folder...

One of the things you want to remember about role playing, is the great XenArwen trap. And while I'm writing this about females, male characters can fall as well. A lot of young ladies come into a role playing site like this and want to create the ultimate character. She's gorgeous, she can kill a balrog by spitting at it, and a minute later can be changed into a ball gown, dancing with a King. I am ashamed to admit, I was a victim of this particular plague my self. Originally, Mell could fight with the best of them, pin a fly to a tree with her bow, had magical healing powers to rival the best, and was related to Elrond. Now she's a healer of small repute, not actually a blood relation to Elrond, a decent shot with a bow (She IS half elven after all), and is definetely not the best with a sword. So it did take me a bit of time, but I learned my lesson.... A character who is NOT perfect is a funner character to play, both for yourself and for the folks you play with, as well as being more real.
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:09 pm

Frelga paused by the classroom door and took a deep breath. She preferred to take deep breaths in private, as her figure was definitely built along the curvy lines of Rohan womanhood. She looked so harmless, with her dimpled cheeks and flaxen braid, and eyes that were doomed to be known as periwinkle because her Writer wasn't paying attention.

The deep breath accomplished, Frelga pushed the door and stepped inside. "Professor, good morning. Melly, lovely seeing you here. I don't believe we've met in a story yet, but I know you from the Bard's Guild."

Frelga was a rarity for an RP character – happily married with a small child, Lufu, who trailed after her to the Bard's Festivals. Her background was neither tragic nor heroic, but it didn't lack in adventure. Like many Rohan women, she could handle weapons if she had to. Usually she didn't, relying instead on her knack of bullying men around.

"Bullying? I don't bully, I use gentle persuasion."

"Like the time you threatened to break a bottle over Herger's head?" the Writer reminded.

"Exactly," Frelga replied without batting an eye. "Now be quiet and let me hear what Professor has to say, there's a good Writer."

And here's a tip – if your character is just entering an RP and has not joined the group yet, it is very helpful to introduce an NPC (non-player character) to provide a bit of interaction and help convey your character's background and personality.

Frelga sat down and pulled out a notebook decorated with pictures of horses and a scrawled "MOMMY I LOVE YOU!" She would have to take careful notes to take back to her quill-siblings. They were a motley bunch: Frelga's own family, Lufu and her husband Gylfa; Geli the Magnificent, a teenage acrobat; two "grim hillmen" – the scarred warrior Radesh and Givi, a poet with a lame leg (the Writer was very careful not to call him "a lame poet"); Dacil the towering soldier; Rosq the arrogant redhead; and the beautiful gypsy Sarina who has not had a chance at a story yet. They all could learn much from Master Hue.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:36 pm

And here's a tip – if your character is just entering an RP and has not joined the group yet, it is very helpful to introduce an NPC (non-player character) to provide a bit of interaction and help convey your character's background and personality.

Cornelius was wandering down the long hallway and passed a door as he heard someone thinking this out loud.

"Soooo, I was an NPC, was I? Haaaaa hahahahaha, seems I've had the last laugh, and more ink time than some of Scribbles' other characters, like that poncy dark elf mage Delmonte or whatever his name is, heck, he even has his own ID and I still get more posts than he does . . . "

Cornelius turned on his heel and went back to the open doorway, where he peered closely at the lettering on the door.

Role Play 101 - Master Erinhue (Prof.) "Oh hey! I've always wanted to meet this guy, derned Scribe goes on and on about her Guildmaster this and her Guildmaster that . . . ah what the heck, can't hurt, can it?"

The chubby monk sidles into the room cautiously and after a quick survey, carefully takes a seat far away from the lady Mell. 'Seems someone got fresh and she thinks it was me,' he thought to himself. 'Must find a way to clear that up one of these days.'

When the lady Frelga turned his way, he grinned and winked at her mischeviously, then dug into his travel bag for some parchment, a quill, and some ink. When the class resumed, he was going to be ready.

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby truehobbit » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:15 pm

Having seen an announcement for a new semester of TORC's famous roleplay class, the Hobbit girl entered to see what the subjects were, and what other students were there.

Halfway into the room she stopped short, blushed, and hid something behind her back.

"No additional materials required" it read in large letters on the blackboard.

As inconspicuously as possible, she slid behind a desk and shoved something into the bookcase under the desk.

A tall, blonde woman at the desk next to her had watched her, and now looked her up and down with suspicion.

"What are you trying to hide there?" she said, in an authoritative voice.

The Hobbit gulped, and didn't know where to look - but as her eyes wandered she saw the woman had brought a notebook with pictures and "MOMMY I LOVE YOU" written on it, and her fears were instantly dispelled.

She smiled and blushed a little, and produced a leather-bound, time-honoured tome.

"I thought I'd bring this to class, for background reading, but it says on the board that the old stuff isn't required for the class. I took it from the shelf of the library in our adoptions-lounge."

The book had Role Playing 101 embossed in gold letters on the leather cover.

;)
-------------

OOC - about settings - I think the classroom I'm picturing isn't the same the others are picturing? Because, AFAIK, in American classrooms the students don't have desks? But as there was no description of it, I took the liberty of furnishing it with desks for the students. ;) :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:11 pm

Having noticed that the class is kind of sleepy, probably from sitting in a stuffy room all day, the newest arrival gets up and breaks the silence with a proposal.

Excuse me, Sir - seeing that this autumnal holiday that is so much beloved by Americans is approaching, I would like to invite the class - and the teacher, too, of course - on a little outing.

Let's go here for some Halloween Storytelling!

It would be nice to have some more guests at the party. As you can see it's light-hearted RP - there are no strict rules about tenses and italics and that sort of thing - just come along and be scary! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Tethairwen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:28 am

A dark-haired young elf slipped quietly into the room and took a seat toward the front of the classroom. Slipping her bookbag under the seat, she pulled out a fresh notebook titled "Teth - Notebook #7 - Role Play 101" and a pencil. I do hope I'm not late, she thought, looking at the writing on the board. Good, it looks as if I only missed the introduction. Opening the notebook, she took up the pencil and began, in neat handwriting, to copy the words on the board.
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby balrogthane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:42 pm

A young man with an earnest, round face pushed open the door gently, just enough to get through, then slipped into the--

Oof. What the- His massively-overstuffed backpack had caught on the door jamb, jerking him backwards. Hopes for an unnoticed entrance vanished like smoke as the pretty young Elf at the front of the room looked back, one eyebrow arched in question, then returned to copying notes. He shamefacedly backed up to free his backpack, then tried again.

He let the door close softly and took a quick glance to decide where to sit. All the people already in the classroom looked friendly but far more advanced than he-- he settled on a seat right behind the girl who had first noticed him. He walked quietly down the row between the desks, stumbled on a desk leg, and sat down, even more shamefaced than before. The Elf in front of him radiated the disapproval of a committed student being distracted.

The gaffe had attracted other attention. At the noise of the young man's stumbling, the large Middle-Earth Gazette hovering over the professor's desk shifted and folded down, revealing a man who appeared to be a bard. He surveyed the still relatively empty room, took a drink from his coffee mug, and returned to his newspaper.

The young man dug into his backpack, past all the other books for his other classes, to his notebook-- nearly a tome in its own right, it contained the notes from all his classes. He flipped through it to a blank section and titled it, "Role-Play 101-- Prof. Erinhue," then turned to the first page and began taking down the blackboard's contents.

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Tethairwen » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:11 pm

For all the neatness of her writing, the young elf was quick about it too. She soon had everything copied from the board, and looked around the still nearly empty room.

The rather clumsy young man who had taken a seat behind her was still busy scribbling notes in his monstrous book, and she felt sorry for the looks she had given him. His noisy entrance had startled and annoyed her, and she hadn't thought before looking around.

A portly monk sat across the room from a young peredhel whose well-doodled notebook cover proclaimed her name to be Melly, and a diminutive Hobbit lass sat next to a woman who looked as though she might be Rohirric.

Last of all, she studied Professor Erinhue. There wasn't much of him to be seen behind the newspaper he was reading, but she had the idea he could see everything that was going on in the room, and was merely waiting for more students to show up.

Well, I might as well start on that short paper I was planning to hand in, she thought and began to write on a fresh page in her notebook.
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby blackthorn » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:45 am

sorry my mistake wrong room...
Last edited by blackthorn on Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby WebWam » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Ulp, the writer paused. You're sure you want to do this?

Galen snorted and pushed on down the hall, eyes flicking from door to door. Which one hid the Role-Playing class? The third yielded the telltale scratching of quill and graphite.

The pale woman opened the classroom door--and blinked at a gaping hole in the wall. None of her fellow identities had more than lurked in the hall eavesdropping, which left her in the dark about protocol. But most of the students were ignoring the settling rubble, so she shrugged and picked her way to an empty desk in front of a scribbling monk.

Her scarred and callused hands felt strangely empty. She glanced around self-consciously at the studious-looking beings of assorted races copying notes. The teacher sat immersed behind a newspaper. Stars, even the troll was writing! Galen picked critically at her sleeve, which shimmered a strange, dusky gray. It didn't matter. She would remember everything.

---------------------------------------------
WebWam
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:28 am

The handsome young Dwarf stepped over the rubble... checked out the cave troll and saw he was harmless so he lowered his battleaxe and found a seat... He looked at the board and saw a sign at the top.... NO WEAPONS ALLOWED DRAWN IN CLASS.. Borin's face got red and he quickly put away his axe...

Borin looked down at his desk and noticed someone had written on it...

ALWAYS CHECK FOR A OOC (out of context) LINK WHEN THINKING OF JOINING A RP (role play)

Borin thought that's a very good idea... I just hate stumbling into the middle of someones story... besides it's polite to ask to join in..

Borin sat looking around at his classmates wondering at the wide variety of individuals in this role play class.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Tethairwen » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Teth pushed a strand of dark hair behind one pointed ear, compared a hastily written page with a second, more deliberately written one, added a comma, and carefully extracted the second page from her notebook. Then she made her way to Professor 'Hue's desk and shyly handed him the paper. He smiled encouragingly and began to read as the young elf returned to her seat.

When preparing to submit an RP post, it is very helpful to run it through a program with a spelling and grammar checking option. Often, you can overlook spelling errors, or accidentally misuse a word, and these mistakes detract from your tale. Making sure you have the right word, grammar, and spelling not only makes your work look more professional, but also makes it easier for other people to understand what you’ve written. Reading through your post one last time before hitting the submit button is also helpful. Often when you’re writing the first things that come to mind, they sound good, but when you’re done and read back, you may realize that you know a better way to say what you wanted. Check and double-check is a good motto, and the outcome can really improve your writing.
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby WebWam » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:49 pm

Galen sat wishing some gigantic spider would come scuttlying in over the rubble, just to give her an excuse to draw her knives and do something. But only sunlight and the occasional ordinary-sized insect wandered in through the broken wall, and from the way the dwarf had hastily stowed his axe away she gathered waving weapons would be frowned upon. It seemed the teacher was content to allow the students to read the miniscule script covering the blackboard. The air above the students' heads buzzed furiously with thoughts between author and character.

That's good advice. I'd say to watch out for homynyms, too. To, too, two, break, brake...cane brake, bike brake, heartbreak, coffee break...

'What are you talking about?'

Spelling.

'Is that what all this,' Galen indicated the board with an angry jerk, 'is about?'

No, I was reading over Erinhue's shoulder. The blackboard has other stuff...I'll read it, if you like.

'What I'd like is out of here.'

You said it was time someone actually sat in on this class. I agreed.

The Mirkwood woman scowled at her desk. 'So you send your one illiterate character. Brilliant!'

It was your idea, not mine. I'd ruther lurk, anyhow.

'But how can I take notes if I can't read what anyone's written down? The others will want to know everything.'

I'm here too, remember. I'll see that it gets to them.

'But you'll learn and I'll only sit here like--like your puppet or something.'

Pause. Well...that's the whole idea, isn't it?

"Arg!" A snicker and several stares made Galen realize she'd said this last aloud. Her scars gleamed white as she flushed and slouched deeper behind her desk. She decided to ignore her fellow students (and the writer, who was muttering something about KitKat bars) and settled down to practice mentally boring a hole in the bard/teacher's paper.

========================

((OOC: And after that long and utterly useless interlude...Quick question: Is there a word aside for the Halloween Storytelling? I couldn't find one. ~WW))
WebWam
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Elfkin » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:30 am

One of the most embarrassing things about classes, Elfkin reflected as she stood on tiptoe to spy through the keyhole, was finding that there were a whole bunch of people there before you -- leading, of course, to the nagging worry that you were late and about to get at least a scolding. Predictably, the door squeaked loudly as she nudged it open, although she was certain it had been silent for everyone else. Oh, well.

The mighty Elfkin, slayer of nations, "daughter" of Thranduil, engaged to Faramir of Gondor, offspring of an elf and a hobbit, saviour of Middle-earth, and notorious liar, slunk to her seat -- and when a hobbit slinks, you know about it. Or rather you don't, because you can't see them. Or something.

She selected a desk towards the back of the classroom, and sat in the chair so that her chin rested on the grafitti'd wood. One comment caught her eye.

Checking spellling + grammar make fore being a more ledgible post!

There's someone who could take their own advice, thought Elfkin with a grin, and moved her arms up to act as a cushion, looking to the student on her left. He was quite young, with an open, honest face which was quite refreshing after tagging along for months with the likes of thieves and Riot. "Hi there," she whispered to him. "Your writing looks vaguely familiar. Have we met before?"

She paused, then added, "That's not a chat-up line, by the way. Just take anything I say at face value: I'm not likely to have thought it through for hidden meanings."
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby Wandering but not lost » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:35 pm

It was depressing that the only thing that time could allow for solidarity in was the state of temporality. The faces, the names, the one long road of living that all these adventures seemed to connect with, how impermanent are things! These memories, they run through the world like afternoon rain. How refreshing those moments were! How many things sprang to life from those instances? But vapor... everything, everything became vapor.

Mistlike, he didnt pronounce his entry into the classroom, but merely faded in and out-- a quiet form that seeped into the atmosphere. The figure, faceless beneath a white cloak, distinguished only in its indistinguishability, glided through the room, front to back, exiting as quietly as it entered, leaving a small red apple on the desk and the faint scent of blended medicinal herbs.

So many things, these collective memories, hanging in the air, clinging to the skin during those hot summer travel days. Pity they should sit so quietly invisible.
Wandering but not lost
Mariner

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)