OOC: The Houses of Healing

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Does this idea sound boring?

Yes.
25%
No.
75%

Total votes : 4

OOC: The Houses of Healing

Postby *Hryveriel* » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:03 pm

The Houses of Healing.

This is the story of the people that make the Houses possible. A bit of a parallel to ER, only Middle-Earth style!

With most RPs the main subject stays the same allllll the time. And frankly, I get a little bored with the same thing over and over again. So, I want to make the things that happen in this RP to happen “fast.” What I mean by fast is not as short as 5 posts but not as long as 5 pages either.

But alas, you can’t have a story without a main idea in which all the characters can unite together, so I do want to have one common subject. And that is… Drum roll, please… The battle of the Pelenor. Yes, I know, it’s a bit generic, but it’s got a lot of drama for the HH. And we know a lot about some of the injuries that come in there. Now, I don’t want battle to start on the third page. I want our story to start at the same time the battle of Helms Deep starts and end when Aragorn finds the seedling of the White Tree in the mountains. So what we do between now and the battle is discover everyone’s character and treat patients. I hope that Helms Deep is enough time. If you have a better suggestion, lemme know.

As far as the Fellowship goes, I would like little to no contact with them, with the exception of Gandalf passing through town, near the end when Eowyn gets hurt and everyone follows her in, and, of course, when Frodo drops in at the end. Contact with Faramir and any other Gondorian from the book is ok as long as it’s not over the top.

I want everyone to have the spot light for a time before the big finish. I want everyone to have to deal with their demons. Every time the spot light is on someone I don’t want you to think that you have to do it alone. If you want your character to have some help, go ahead, ask! I want the people reading this to feel a connection to the characters. So put your heart into it.

As far as characters go, I want them to be “brutally” natural. Uhoh! I think I can see the MODs casting suspicious looks ant the word “brutally.” Don’t worry. What I mean by “brutally” is that I want your characters to act as you would really act in real life situations, not raunchiness or anything like that. I will not stand for that. So, keep it clean. Anyway, as I was saying, I want it real. I want some people not to like others, cliques, and things like that. I don’t want perfect characters. Perfection is not a human quality (ok, well it is and elvish one, but that’s off the point) so it won’t make the reader endear your character. Have flaws, make mistakes, it makes them have something in common with the reader.

Ok, I’ll stop talkin’ like your English teacher now.

Now don’t get me wrong, they can be pretty or handsome (whichever you prefer), just not perfect in the aspect of personality. Oh, and no crazy abilities. Sorry for being so strict but as you know, I want this RP to be… everybody say it with me… brutally natural. Also, not everyone has to be a nurse. We can have some soldiers, patients and whoever really. There are different categories when it comes to Nurses. A High Nurse is like a doctor. A Nurse is, well, a nurse. Healers are, primarily, men who heal using herbs and plants and stuff. When we start I don’t want everyone’s character to be there on their first day of the job. We need some “veterans.” One or two newbies are fine, just not everyone. I want people to know each other. Have best friends and such.

So, last but not least, bios! My personal favorite! If you wanna fill out this template go ahead, but if you wanna do your own thing, shoot! But I do need to know how many years your character has been working in the houses if you intend on being a nurse and such.

Name:
Race:
Height:
Weight: optional
Physical Appearance: If you can find a pic on the web of a celebrity or somebody that looks like your character put the link here. I just find that it gives a more solid idea to everyone else of what they look like. Or you can just go old school and describe them in words.
Build: optional
Eyes:
Hair:
Clothes:
Years Working in the Houses: (if you’re a nurse or healer)
Personality:
Weapons: optional
Transportation: optional
History: Optional. If you wanna keep it a secret, go ahead!

So, if you would be so kind to do so, post your bios and please let me know of any questions you might have. I am very open to constructive criticism.

*Hryveriel* (or just Hry)
Last edited by *Hryveriel* on Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby *Hryveriel* » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Ok. Here's my Bio:

Name: Idril
Race: Man
Height: 5’ 6’’
Weight: 120
Physical Appearance: she looks like her: http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/spring_ ... /Aveno.jpg
Build: Thin, very wispy looking
Eyes: Gray
Hair: Black. It falls to her lower back. Wavy
Clothes: Gray dress. It’s kind of Victorian-ish compared to your typical fantasy RP dress. No belled sleeves. In fact, they button tightly from her elbow all the way down to her wrist. It has a V-neckline that starts at the ends of the collar bone and an A-line skirt that brushes the floor.
Years working in the Houses: 10
Personality: Thick skinned. She’s seen so much carnage in her line of work, that she’s become a bit numb. She can be bossy. But, when she is treating patients she opens up her rough exterior. She turns sweet and gentle very quickly. She hates to have children in the Houses because she doesn’t want them to be exposed to the brutality she faces in her work. When a patient dies, she takes it personally. She will go to the healer and ask for herbs to relax the patient, only to use them on herself. She is an Addict.
History: Idril’s mother was a nurse in the Houses of Healing and so were her Grandmother and her mother before that. Her father was a patient with whom her mother fell in love with and married. Two years later, in 2992 of the Third Age, Idril was born. She never really worked in the Houses until she was 17, but when she was younger she had helped her mother at times. When she was 16 her father, who was a soldier, was badly injured in Osgiliath. Her mother had to remove the poisoned arrows from her father’s chest. Sadly, he did not survive. Idril’s mother took it personally. She became ill from her constant sorrow. She died later the next winter. Idril had no other place to go except the Houses of Healing. Her mother’s sister taught her everything she knew about being a nurse. The nurses, healers, and patients of the Houses became her family. Unfortunately, they never saw that she was abusing her power in the aspect of using herbs to blur the bad memories and regrets out of her head. She knew that one day it would kill her, but it felt so good to have all the bad things in her past “go away.” Whenever her high would end she would mentally punish herself all day. But she would never let anyone see that. She kept a mask of control and confidence up on the outside, while she wrapped herself in a suffocating blanket of disgust inside.

I'm getting the IC Thread ready as we speak. So, gimme some time and we'll be post soon!
thanx,
Hry
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby *Hryveriel* » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:34 pm

ok! the ICT is up! oh one other thing, if you thought i was talking about you when i said "We need some “veterans.” One or two newbies are fine, just not everyone. I want people to know each other. Have best friends and such." I was talking about characters. Not members.
thanx you guys(i feel like i'm talkin to myself :P ),
Hry
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:06 pm

I think this sounds very interesting, it has good basis. Let me think up a bio, and post it later. Most likely, I will be a nurse, young, and in experienced, trying to learn the ropes. I know you said not to many newbies, but with war, newbies seem to be popular. Like, young people get recruted because they can't fight and something happens to a relative and they feel compeled to do something. Does that sound okay? I was wondering if perhaps your character could be a little hostile with her at first, and then slowly warm up to her?

Nimhiril or Nim, whichever
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:57 pm

Okay so here is my bio

Name: Melody
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: -
Physical Appearance: Young, high cheek bones, thin-delicate lips, defined facial structure, pert nose, slight splatter of freckles
Build: Muscled youth, lithe
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blond, wavy to elbows (usually braided)
Clothes: Light-weight cream tunic with sleeves rolled up to elbows under a worn blue-gray sleevless dress (Jumper type thing)
Years in Houses: 1/2 year
Personality: Quiet, normally, unless someone offends her or she is with her friends, has a temper that tends to burst, silently grieves loss of brother (opens up to the hurting)
Weapons: brother's (Berethor) dagger
Transportation: -
History: Life was relatively uneventful until she was 15. Her brother (20) died during orc skirmish (Minas Tirith), they were best friends & she grieves his death, silently. She feels she has to be strong. Joined the Houses of Healing so others don't have to go through her pain, left family and rarely visits them. Has distanted herself from those she loves and is afraid to let anyone into her heart, for fear that she will be hurt when (if) they die. Currently works in Houses and doesn't know what has become of her parents.

Nimhiril
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby *Hryveriel* » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:31 pm

DP
Last edited by *Hryveriel* on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby *Hryveriel* » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:31 pm

Hey! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I went on vacation for a week and did not come within 20 feet of the computer. I love it when I've got more important things to do, like school. You know? But I hate its microchips when I'm on vacation.

Actually, your idea is genius! The recruit thing. I'm glad you thought of it. It makes sense, you know? 8)

Sure, I'll be a grump! :lol: Sounds like a good idea.

Hry
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:41 pm

Hey, good, I'm glad you liked the idea of the recruits. :) I was going off of what you said about her not likeing children in the Houses, and I guess that Melody could kind of be seen as a child by Idril, creating hostility. Okay, so I'm going to post my first whatever in the story. Or, do I need your aproval first? (This is my first RP, so bear with me:) )
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby *Hryveriel* » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:45 pm

:shock: Approval! oh my no! :shock: haha. I am proud for my Rp to be your first! go ahead and do whatever you like! that made me feel old. I don't know why though :?
ttyl,
Hry
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Okay, well, in that case I'll go ahead and post it! :) I'm not sure why that made you feel old either! :)

Nimhiril
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Arenial » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 am

Well, this is so crazy I don't know where to begin. It just so happens that I am writting a story about, pretty much, the same thing! (like, my character is a healer during the Battle of Pelenor Fields... except hers is a love story) Anway, I would love to add my character! I don't have time to post her bio now (as the bell for class is about to go), but she will, most likely, be a veteran.

Hope you will have me,
Arenial (or Ren, if you wish)
Arenial
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:29 pm

I think we could use your character, after all, it's just myself and Hry. But we will need to see your bio, and Hry will have to approve (She started this after all) So... Post your bio and wait to hear from Hry. This is my first RP, so I don't really know how this works... :D Feel free to call me Nim.

Nimhiril
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Arenial » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:15 pm

Woot for first RP's, Nim! I remember my first... and then my second... and then my third. It becomes quite addictive after a while. Don't worry about not knowing what to do, you'll get it in time.

Anways, here is my bio. I ment "veteran" in the sense that my character's been around the Houses for most of her life (she's actually quite close in age to Hry's character)

Name: Violet Calhoun

Race: Human (descendant of Numenor)

Height: 5' 4''

Physical Appearance: Soft and bright bluish green eyes framed with long, dark eyelashes and shapely eyebrows. Waist length, chocolate-- brown hair, usually worn in a low horse-tail that coils into one long ringlet. Small straight nose and full lips upon which a small smile is ever present. She is short and slender.

Clothes: She has a few solid colour dresses in more muted tones, all with the same appearance: shallow v--neckline and three-quarter length sleeves. She wears full body apron over top to complete the ensemble.

Years Working in the Houses: seventeen years

Personality: Violet is calm, reserved and very stubborn. She values life above all other things and mourns the death of each patient individually. She is gernerally able to master her temper and it takes a great deal to get her truly angry.

Weapons: none

Transportation: one chestnut mare (name will come later)

History: (in brief)
Born to parents who farmed outside the city, Violet is the second eldest of four children and first daughter, two more following her. She was named after her mother's favourite flower, the violet. She learned discipline and the rewards of hard work at a very young age as she did her share around the family farm, but at age nine she became a apprentice at the Houses of Healing where she worked hard for nine years when she began her journymanship at age eighteen. She became a High Nurse at the age of twenty four and has continued her work. She sees her eldest brother the most out of all the children as he is a member of the Royal Guard. Her parents are still alive.

And that's about it. Let me know if she's alright and I'll get a post up. If it's alright, and if we don't get anymore members, would I be able to put up another character? I've got a healer who I've only just created and I'd love to develope his character.

Ren
Arenial
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Um.... Well.... I don't know where Hry is.... I want to give you the right away. I think Violet would be a good adition. I hope Hry feels the same... Um... Go ahead and post your bit. Lets stay away from the second character for now. Let's see if anyone else comes in. Hm? How's that sound.
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby narnensul » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:22 am

*Dusts off the old keyboard*

My my. Its been a while since I've rp-ed. But I sure would like to get my feet wet again, if only for a little bit. I'd like to throw in a short term character or have a two characters going for a bit. This looked like a nice thread to jump into and stay for a little while, if you'll have me of course. I can give you an estimate of a month commitment and then its back to the college life for me. :)

I'll get my bio up in a bit. Probably a male, as the thread seems a little female heavy at the moment. ;)

...I think I recognize a few names, Ren and Hry, still floating around. Nice to see you all staying up with it. It really has been a while, blast this horrible memory of mine. Everyone looks familiar but I can't remember what threads!
narnensul
Ranger of the North

Postby *Hryveriel* » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:48 pm

:o I, first, must say that I am veeeerrrry sorry for not posting in A WHILE. School has swamped me and it's only gonna get worse. But pray that I can find the time to rp. I mean, I did create this thing, right? Anywho. All of you are welcome. Thanx Nim for takin' over. Narn, were we in an rp together? If we were I can't remember which one. Wow, now I have to go and catch up on everything.
ttyl,
Hry
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:42 pm

Welcome Narn. :hug:

Hyr ~ You're most welcome.

It's kinda dead right now, and I can't post on top of my own post... So... someone else post a thingy...
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby bellmaker4 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Nim told me about this and I'd like to write here, if there is anyone still around. :)

Anyway, here's my bio:

Name: Celegal
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 235
Physical appearance: tall, weathered face, a few freckles
Build: Somewhat muscled, quick, agile
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: blondish-brown, (more brown than blond), to shoulders
Clothes: ranger's outfit, all in green
Years in Houses: 3 years
Pesonality: Quiet, quick-thinking, a bit judgemental, and curious
Weapons: A sword and a bow
History: Part time ranger, came from Rohan as a messenger, liked the house so much he decided to stay!

Perhaps we can start a thread sometime soon. I'll tell other people here about it.

:D

Bell
Last edited by bellmaker4 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
bellmaker4
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:59 pm

:lol: Hey Bell! Actually, there is already a thread, it's way down at the bottom of the forum. And your time period is off a bit, go to the first post. :lol: But otherwise, great! :D
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:41 pm

Hey Bell! Thanks, I liked that. Very good, now maybe we can move this along. I'll be posting another thing as soon as I have it typed up! :D

Hry? Narn? Ren? Where are you guys?

Nimhiril
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)