Pendulum: A New Twist on an Old Story. (OOC)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Pendulum: A New Twist on an Old Story. (OOC)

Postby TheSquirrel » Wed May 17, 2006 8:36 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:(Some ideas adapted from "The Map of Nogrod," "The Return of Morgoth," and R.E.M,'s "End of the World as We Know It.")

Middle Earth, in the Lord of the Rings, was portrayed as a pre-historic Earth, about 15,000 B.C.. It was fortold at the fall of Sauron that his evil was only weakened, not destroyed, and that given enough time, his power would return. That sinister prophecy has survived in various legends and traditions through the millenia, from Ragnarok to the Antichrist.

The time is around 6000 years into the Fifth Age of Middle Earth, more popularly known as Anno Domini 2009. A relative unknown named Rebekha Hamilton won the 2008 presidential election by a landslide, and nobody remembers having voted for her.

Her background shows that she was highly placed in the media companies once, and the media does certainly seem to love her. The people of the nation are divided on the subject. One the one hand, she has pulled the military miraculously from a "War on Terror" to an alliance between the U.S. and Iraq. . . within six months of inauguration. On the other, her focus on the various sciences, most notably cloning technology, has caused some controversy.

President Hamilton has not ended the communication surveilace that her predecessor was criticized for, in fact she has increased it. She has placed state and local police under military powers, essentially combining the two forces into one. The powers of the local government are insignificant now. The government's system of checks and balances has dissolved: where "Bekhy" goes, Congress and the Supreme Court follow without question. Once again, the media supports her completely, and with the media go most of America's middle class, and the Social Norm.

The dissention, too quickly, is dismissed and forgotten.

Thee are underground rumors of biological weapons development in Hawaii. Environmentalists are up in arms about President Hamilton's energy policies, although last week the three loudest voices in that campaign were convicted of child molestation charges.

On a slightly different note, there have been a myriad of UFO sightings across the planet, forms appearing to be shaped similarly to colossal waterfowl in flight. The apparitions are usually seen over the ocean, or by airplane passengers. Nobody pays too much attention.

President Hamilton has increased funding to anti-missile programs since the sightings began.

It's late summer in Southen Illinois, in the United States of America. We center around Southern Illinois University in Carbondale to begin. I encourage you to reference as many real-life prophecies or conspiracy theories as you like. Play Modern-day decendands of Middle-Earth races, or play someone coming in on a "Swan Ship." (You don't honestly think that Eru would leave the world to its own devices for this, do you?) Remember, Middle Earth was the real world. Now the real world is rapidly turning back to its roots when it is once again in peril. . .

TheSquirrel wrote:Name: Gregory (Don't call me Greg) Kirkland

Race: Human

Height: 6'

Weight: 130 lb

Facial Features: Pale, thin, blue eyes that seem to laugh at some unknown joke and a somewhat hooked nose. Labret piercing.

Body Features: pale, thin, waist-length black hair, matching chest-length braided and beaded goatee, tattoo of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy little green smiling ball on the back of his neck. It's rarely seen.

Clothing: Mostly, he wears black jeans with Hot Topic T-shirts. Military surplus trenchcoat appears debending on weather.

Occupation: Full-time student at SIU, majoring in European History.

History: Completely normal until the story begins. He's never left Illinois.

Well, we could always start another modarn day story. I loved that angle. I still want to play a mongrel, though. It's fun.
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby KBrandybuck » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:20 am

This business of not receiving emails is really really annoying, otherwise I would have replied sooner.

Brian Underhill being my fave character....

He's like the one I'd pull out of my bag of tricks. Depending on what the general game plan was. Map of Nogrod was a great concept.

I still like the "this actually happened and it's now the modern era" approach The urgency of having to accomplish a task, reach a destination, etc within a certain time frame and against all odds is what creates the excitement.

Glasshouse: I think we three (you me, squirrel) can work out some pre quest details, don't you agree?
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Check the thread "Pendulum." I'm trying to throw a little more reality in for the starters, but slowly edge into the fantasy, with some of the greats being sent back to aid Earth. I'm planning Gandalf as a Professor of Norse Myth named Ozwald White, recently arrived from "Wales" to work with his old friend, Radcliffe Brown.

Elrond was supposed to arrive on the West Coast, but no one has heard from him since. I figure he ran into a hippie comune. Can you picture it? He finally gets to SIU, dressed in a tropical print shirt, bermuda shorts, and sandals. "Not one word, Olorin. Not. One. Word. . . "

Anyone intersted?
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby KBrandybuck » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:21 am

I can't find that thread. Can you link it please?

I wish this frackin' phbb would send emails when a reply is posted. :x
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby KBrandybuck » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:34 pm

Squirrel: I read the pendulum one and am dreaming up a character....
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 am

TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby KBrandybuck » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:25 am

Of course it would be useful if there were more than two of us.

I can say that I have actually been in Carbondale. My mother was from Illinois -- Shelbyville btw. Had folks down Carbondale way we visited.
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby Gloamglozer » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:11 pm

I'd very much like to join.

I'm extremely intersted in this and it sounds fantastic.

I have a character for you, if it hasn't already been done.

Bob McGuire. An extremely muscular, dark skinned man who works as a Hot Dog salesman and is a descendant of the Uruk-Hai.

Any good?

Gloam
Gloamglozer
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm thinking, I'm thinking!

Actually I need some clarification. As in, where would we be starting off (I know where, geographically, but why?) and what general direction would we be going in?

I have to say that from reading the first post I'm a little intimidated. You start off talking about the President and large scale world events, ok that makes me think of a certain kind of story, like maybe something Tom Clancy might write (if he suddenly became obsessed with JRRT :P ). This is the point at which The Map thread left off and I was always unsure how to handle that next stage of the story in a credible way. I had envisioned the world finding out about Nogrod and something happening like NATO surrounding the place..at which point the world would go crazy and things would get very complicated and I wasn't sure how we could do that.

OTOH You have us start off at a university, which makes me think that we're starting on a much smaller scale than world events. It sounds more like the form that most RP's follow - I'm sure you've noticed that most RP's follow a standard formula. Basically, a group of people meet up (the usual place is in a conveniently located inn, over a few too many drinks, I wonder if that's how quests really start...) and these strangers decide to go on a great adventure for some reason and things develop as the go along.

Anyway, generally it starts out small - If we were going to start out small in a University as just a bunch of strangers - and the world is already going crazy from 'UFO' sightings - what do you envision happening and how do we get involved at the world event level of things? Do we? Can you tell me more about how you see President Hamilton fitting into the strory? She seems to be doing some good things and some not so good things, what's with the cloning for instance? I need to know more of what did you have in mind.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby TheSquirrel » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:26 pm

President Hamilton is Sauron reincarnate. I had hoped that it would start small, i.e. Shire style. I'm open for ideas as to why. Maybe Illinois was the rendevoux point for the Middle Earth Greats and the Humans just got dragged in. Hey, they need help, right? :shock:

Help? :|

And she's cloning "Genetically Engineered Super Soldiers." Modern Uruk Hai.
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:46 pm

OK, I understand President Becky now...

Still not sure about some other things.

Do you want to sort through some ideas here (maybe it's time to move this discussion to the right OOC thread, might get more people's attention that way too)

Or do you want to write a first post and let us wing it from what you write?

I have a couple of ideas for characters, depending on how things shape up.

I was primarily considering playing some kind of a research scientist, I had originally thought of a kind of paranormal researcher guy who would be interested in the various 'sightings' taking place, maybe an X-Files type , I might still do that. But now I'm also thinking about a guy who was involved with the cloning experiments and has balked at the direction they were taking. maybe he's on tthe run from the govmnt (?) Either of those guys could have connections to the university.

Not sure I want to play a Middle Earth type, at least not until I see what others are planning. Definitely would not want a major leadership role, I'm content to be a confused human bunmbling around in things he sdoesn't really understand.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:53 pm

..////
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby KBrandybuck » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:31 am

The thing I liked about Map of Nogrod was the slow realization that things were going sideways.

Squirrel's proposition would be there is a mechanism in place that would thwart the efforts of the participants. This is likewise a good idea.

To be more realistic, I'm not sure even a Sauron incarnate could get by the electorate today -- welll, I could be wrong, considering who lives in the White House right now... but you'd have to assume that public opinion being what it is, especially outside the country, there'd be a lot of hue and cry.

Sauron taking 10,00 years to take shape -- that would be pretty difficult without the ring. Which has been destroyed. Although --- one could argue that it's molecules, having been melted down, were spread out when the lava would have congealed into rocks. There was an explosion after all....

Tolkien doesn't say that Sauron was destroyed competely, forever, that's it, end of story. He says he was just knocked far enough off his proverbial feet that regrouping was damned near impossible.

Also: the blend of characters people who "know" their descent, people who don't, people are aren't "descended" but get caught up in all of this is what made Map of Nogrod interesting.

I'm gonna reread Squirrel's initial post and see what I think. And dream up some reason by Brian Underhill would leave the security of Bally Vaughan, Co. Clare, Ireland, for the hell that is Illinois.....

For those who do not know, Brian Underhill is a Prof. Emeritus from Trinity College in Ireland. He's 84. He's an antiquarian, has translated obscure manuscripts found discarded or ignored in the vaults, was in the British Secret Service in WWII and did some interesting wreck diving in the Adriatic.

Side note: many Irish sided with the Germans during the War, not because they were fans of Germany, but because it would piss of the English.

Brian's world view is broader than that.

He is a linguistic historian, a scholar of Old Irish manuscripts, old pre Christian Irish culture, Viking and Anglo Saxon culture -- anything having to do with the shaping of the Irish language, personality and world view.

And he plays a mean fiddle.

There is more: Glasshouse knows of what I speak! But I ain't tellin' just yet!

I moved multiple characters in the last thread and that's a pain in the ass, frankly. I vote unless we're desparate, we keep it to one character player.

Now then: we'd have to decide is this just an amorphous group of people who come together to oppose the New World Order? Is there an artifact or a goal, or a destination they have to preserve or reach, against these odds?

Leadership roles will develop as the characters develop. Someone may wind up a leader who has no desire to be -- someone who wants to be a leader may have an unpleasant surprise.

I shall reread Squirrel's post later, as I said. I have some ideas already....
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:40 am

TheSquirrel, I'm going to be a pain in the arse and ask a lot of questions... :)

First thing I need to know is how much input you want in this? The subject of us (the 3 of us)t developing something together was suggested above... Now we're talking about a story that you created on your own so, I just don't want to step on any toes here. How wedded to this story are you? Do you want input into the initial development or do you want to keep it your own? I don't have a problem either way, just asking.

next, some specifics; So, I take it that the ME characters are all coming in on Swan ships and that they are keeping a low profile for the time being (?) Are there any that have always been in the world? Do they know their ancestry?

Finally, if you're ready, then I think the best thing to do would be to write a first post and kick us off in the right direction.

PS, I'm going to ask a mod to stick these posts in the right OOC thread.

Please respond in that thread
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Metatron » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:25 am

I've split the posts into this new thread. Unfortunately, we can split but can't merge, so I've created this new OOC thread and copied the 2 posts from the old OOC thread into this thread's first post as quotations. I've locked the old Pendulum OOC thread to prevent more confusion.

:D
Metatron
Mod Emeritus

Postby KBrandybuck » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 am

good idea Metatron.

ETA: The problem with people coming BACK is that, according to Tolkien, they probably wouldn't. Elves, Evu all got less and less involved with ME as the ages passed. by the 7th age where we are now, we're hardly a blip on the Valinor radar.

Olorin's task is over with. As for the other THREE wizards(Radagast and the two we never hear about) they're open season.

The elves would have no reason to give a rat's ass about M/E. Their works are destroyed, their kin are all dead. Elrond would have no reason to return -- his daughter is dead. One assumes his sons took ship or whatever -- maybe they didn't.

The Map of Nogrod assumed there were stragglers and mongrels. Elrond's sole and only reason for returning would be if he had a close relative to rescue. Other than that I can't see him volunteering for this mission.

Ditto Gandalf. It is the Age of Men . The world is on it's own.

Hence: there have to be some compelling reasons to get these guys involved.

Eru was never directly involved in the goings on by the third age except in terms of dreams, or stray thoughts, or things like that. Oh, well allowing Gandalf to retain physical form -- that was big. But other than that, had Sauron won? Who knows WHAT would have happened.

Let's pow wow about this. Surely there are directions this doesn't need to go in. And for the sake of other players and to keep the suspense and the adventure going, one or two (more like two or three) can chat OFFLINE about things like that so we have a clear picture of what the last chapter SHOULD be, even though it might not wind up like that.

ETA: regarding someone becoming president and no one voted? Remember 2004 and Florida and hanging chads?? I tell you even Sauron couldn't pull off a President Bekky.

He'd be much more evil. Kind of like a Karl Rove. Sauron started off suborning the Numenoeans -- ala Karl Rove. Manipulating events in a very local scale -- even rigging school board elections. That's more Sauron's style....

oh my. Sauron is Karl Rove.
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Who's Karl Rove?

Like I said, I am very open to suggestion. If the major players in LotR don't come back, that's fine (although I would still like to see Elrond in a Hawiian shirt and bermuda shorts. :twisted: ) Radagast can be the wizard professor. As for Bekhy's election, All I ask is that Sauron is in political power right now.

And I still need help with a quest idea.

Here's my MySpace account. I can be contacted there.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=41272628
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:04 am

Who's Karl Rove?
don't ask. That kind of wquestion belongs in The Councils of Manwe (and man, I am sick to death of that forum!)

Like I said, I am very open to suggestion.

great, I think quite a bit of the fun is in the planning. (now you'll never shut me up!:P )

OK, guys, I'm only going to sugest this once, just because so much of what we have to decide was already done in The Map thread and because I still have an attachment to that story, to the people who helped write it and to the characters created there - does anyone want to incorporate that story into this one?
The advantages are pretty obvious I think, a great deal of the background is already done, we have a great back story to draw from, we know what races survived and what they've been doing, we still have the same 'quest' , we have characters who could be continued or dropped as we see fit, (since the map ended in a crisis they could simply have died) AND most of all, I think I might be able to get some of the old players back, notably Finarato, AurabellaBolger. possibly Alys, maybe Novice /Impenitent. IMHO, that's an all star line up of RPers if you ask me and they've all expressed interest at one time or another.

Things to consider; The stories don't have to be in complete sink with each other, we can make changes, consider the Map a first draft.

we could easily incorporate all or much of what The Squirrel has proposed in the Pendulum thread into the 'next phase' of our old story. In effect, simply using the old story as a backdrop for this one)

So -If we were going to do this, i would suggest that the new thread be set a few years after the old thread ended. A handy way to tie up lose ends and amke modifications is to simply write a prequel to The Pendulum that covers the intervening time between one story and the next. That shouldn't be hard. We can pretty much make up anything we want to cover what happened to the old group and why they've been idle or missing for so long. Some died, some reached Nogrod and have been spending time there - the passage of time there is much like it was for the Fellowship in Lothlorien - only slower.

In the outside world, President Becky has come to power.

A group of researchers at University of Illinois, (connected with Miskatonic U? in Vermont?) have information/suspicions about something weird happening in genetic engineering...You know whatever...I more I think about this the more I think it has potential.

just an idea I wanted to toss out for you 2 to consider. what do you think?

BTW, TheSquirrel I checked out your blog but i guess you have to be a member at MySpace to do anything there (?)

KB, I tried you at your old email do you still have mine?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby TheSquirrel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:16 am

Oooooooh. . . The Squirrel likey!

Well, if you can't MySpace it, then use my Email. I think I managed to have it shown. If not, then pynta_squirrel@hotmail.com is my new one.

Is all of Nogrod on this forum, or is there a link to the rest somewhere? I'll need to research it a little.
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:52 am

Great like I said I think we can retain anything we want from the old story and drop what we don't want to keep....

The old Map thread is here;

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=49812

KB?

BTW, Gloam you still reading?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby KBrandybuck » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:51 am

Glasshouse: how did Map of Nogrod end? I'll read the last couple of pages but I wont delve back farther

Squirrel: LOL. google Karl Rove. he's the reason George W. is president.

I had a particular fondness for that thread too. My reasons for leaving don't need to be discussed, except to say that if a poster has a problem with another posters, there are politer ways of dealing with it.

ETA: Ok I see how it ended. Nogrod not discovered, probably the original crew mostly dead.

That leaves the three/four characters I had still roaming around.

1. Randy, Brian's niece (a retired homicide detective)
2. A relative whose name I forget from Ireland.
3. The sherrif of Miskontinic but he was just ancillary
4 and Brian Underhill. who, if everyone ELSE is dead, his part in the story would come as a huge ass surprise to all.

Randy had possession of some of Brian's artifacts. I would only resurrect the one and not the other (Glasshouse knows what I'm talking about). I'm not sure I'd drag her back into this anyway. I like him better.

So, if I understand things right. Nogrod remains undiscovered. what has become of the map? how much power did the Wraith be able to assume? who is still alive? not that those players would rejoin but I'm just curious.

eta: kccleary@pacbell.net

On rereading, Randi has a good rapport with some of the characters. It might make sense for her and Brian to retreat to a neutral terriroty -- like Carbondale -- thinking they are safe.

If Squirrel's character is into european history, I can see him attending one of Brian's lectures and meeting Brian and Randi that way.

The only reason I resurrect Randi is that she's pretty handy in a pitched battle. And as a former law enforcement officer, she has access to lots of places, including the FBI data bases.
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby Metatron » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:05 am

Just as a reminder, the Guidelines for Roleplaying in the Prancing Pony state:

*RP Topics in this Forum are to be Tolkien based. This forum is for role-playing within the world of Tolkien and Middle-earth.

Please be sure that your RP is going to have strong links to Tolkien's works if you are going to set it in the near future. The modern-day setting is an interesting one, I grant you, but if it seems to be straying too far from the world of Tolkien and becomes a 'modern' RP with conspiracy theories and political commentary then it won't belong here I'm afraid.
Metatron
Mod Emeritus

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:34 am

Hi Metatron, We were basing that on an RP that we had here and that ran for over a year, called The Map of Nogrod. (linked above) The first post of the OOC for that thread explains the idea prettty well, see the section of the first post entitled The Map of Nogrod take a look and see what you think.

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=49623

Sqirrel and KB, I'm working on a summery of what happened in the map - where we left off and some possiblities for where we've been.
Last edited by GlassHouse on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gloamglozer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:32 am

I know I've already said. But I would really like to be involved in this. It sounds really intersting.

Now that you've decided that the Uruk-Hai will be Biological Weapons I can work on a different character. :D

Maybe Bob McGuire (same name different character) can be an Elf or maybe a descendant of Rohan or Gondor.

Oh. I'm going to have to give this some thought.

Gloam
Gloamglozer
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:08 am

Gregory still needs a roomie, maybe Gloamglozer?
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby KBrandybuck » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:00 am

Undomiel, whose characters had possession of the original map, contacted me. She had great ideas and this is a huge win. She hasn't had 'net access, which is why we haven't heard from her.

She will have good ideas for how to get this thing going.

In short: her characters, a brother and sister, were descended from Rangers. The brother sells the map to a store for reasons I forget. Sister finds out and goes to retrieve it.

The map itself turns up in a book store in Miscotnic, VT.

Glasshouse: what was the fate of the map and the Ranger siblings? Is Nogrod still an icon to be achieved/defended? What is the status of Nogrod?

Obviously Brian (or Randi if she comes back to life) will have no idea what happened, having been out of the loop.

The charm of LoTR is that we see the story through the eyes of uncomplicated, every day people, not heroes. So: how do blend modernity with a Middle Earth mindset, if that makes sense.

We're in about the 7th age, or so Tolkien said, if you consider Hiroshima the dawning of the 7th age.

How about this for a first post:

Brian Underhill had never been in Southern Illinois. He had been in Chicago, and taking the train down to Carbondale he had seen nothing but flat, green, humid, flat green farmland. And humid. Oppressively so. All very tame. Any vestiges of anything before Northern Europeans had been wiped clean and replaced with corn and soybeans and cemetaries and worm eaten barns.

Then the land rose up, there were trees, there were forests, there was some residuals of an ancient culture -- and Carbondale. Small, not too busy, not even on many maps, although it boasted Southern Illinois University.There was hiking, there was fishing, there were lakes.

There was, however, no Cracker Barrel. For that he had to go to Marion. And for that he had to have a car. And at 84 it was damned difficult to find some rental agency who would rent one to an old man. He had borrowed a car from a colleague- an equally elderly professor emeritus at the Univeristy.

Cracker Barrel was Middle America defined. Even the salads were rendered unhealthy. For those with no fear of cholesteral, heart disease, and obesity, it was the restaurant of choice.

Brian had none of the three disorders, unless you counted the fact that he was slightly rotund.

He ordered eggs, apple pancakes, tea, and bacon. It was his third excursion, and the waitress on that shift knew him by now: a short, slightly pear shaped elderly gentleman who wore a tie and carried an ancient brown leather satchel. And he talked funny. Ireland, he said he was from. A guest lecturer for a summer series at the University.

Though 84, he looked 60. He felt 35. He acted 12, sometimes. Being a premiere authority on Old Irish manuscripts and pre Christian celtic culture, he was a much sought after addition to university summer series lectures. Maybe the students were interested -- maybe they just liked his accent.

So: Hudson University in New York City. Miskatonic in Vt, (just in time for black fly season and he couldn't get of THERE fast enough) Carbondale, Santa Rose State College in California, University of San Diego, then back to Bally Vaughn, Co. Clare, Ireland. Then Rohan, Brittany for a Celtic Festival, , then Italy, then Bally Vaughn, Co. Clare, Ireland just in time for the tourist season to be over, the German banjo players to go BACK to Germany, and the good Traditional Music sessions to start back up again. He had no particular objection to the music festival scene in Ireland -- gave him a chance to catch up with old friends, break out his fiddle and have some tunes.

He brought his fiddle on this trip -- the session scene in the larger US cities was pretty good. The likelihood of a session in Carbondale was vanishingly small but he might just be able to catch one of the Irish music festivals in the States if his timing was right.

But for now he was delivering a short lecture series on Pre Christian Irish culture. He was always surprised at the number of people who actually showed up to these things. He sipped his tea and wondered who would show up at this afternoon's first lecture.
KBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:02 am

KBrandybuck wrote:She will have good ideas for how to get this thing going.

I will certainly try to oblige. :)

Thank you, KB, for welcoming me back. I have missed the Map of Nogrod!

Quite honestly, it's been so long that I've forgotten how things were going when Nogrod ended. (I couldn't even remember my characters' names til a moment ago.) But from what I remember it ended while we were still trying to get to Nogrod and was kinda unresolved.

I just spoke to nazgul_lord about it and he is very interested in the character of the President in addition to the Wraith. If no one minds or had other plans he would like to take that character and weave her into his plans which involve the return of Morgoth.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:18 pm

to quote the comic book guy from The Simpson's

"there is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now"

I guess maybe if you added all these up it might be close

:shock: :) :wink: :woah: :D

welcome back undi and NL :)
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:33 pm

It is so good to be back. :) Does anyone have a way of contacting ArabellaBolger? It wouldn't be the same without her.

Anyway, I have reviewed the last couple pages of MON and my memory has been jogged. The wheels are turning. I won't be able to post on the weekend for the time being (unless I want to go to the library) because I still don't have home internet access, just work access. (Home should be back around the end of July.) But I will be brainstorming while I am away and hopefully I will have some ideas about how to get these two stories to connect. Nazzy is very excited about the President Sauron idea and I'm sure he's already scheming away. I think he still wants the ultimate villain to be Morgoth though, if no one minds.

(We couldn't actually recall any prophecies about Sauron returning though in HOME there are prophecies about Morgoth returning which was where he had wanted to take MON.)

I will definetly be reviving Jack and Gwen Seaver as my characters because I like them. I will see you all again on monday! :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:47 pm

(Hops up and down squee-ing.) YAAAAYYYYY!!!!! :lol:

BTW. I grew up about a half-hour north of Carbondale. They really do have an Irish Festival every year in Summer. There's how Greg and Brian can meet. After the lecture, Greg will mention the Festival that... weekend? and they can go. Fun for all!!!
Last edited by TheSquirrel on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)