OOC: The Farsighted and the Lands Beyond

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC: The Farsighted and the Lands Beyond

Postby eliana-returns » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:58 pm

all right. here we go. this story will revolve around the reemergence of the lost palantiri. two were lost in the Ice Bay of Forochel, one was lost in the Anduin, and one was buried under Barad Dur. the kings of Gondor possess two, though one requires extreme ability to see beyond the flaming, shriveled hands of Denethor. one was returned to the west.

this tale will occur after the death of Elessar, though how long after is up to consideration.

Eliana is a half-elven wanderer, half-Avari of the Kindi tribe to be precise. she was raised as an orphan in the northeast, north of the easterlings that followed Sauron, but far enough east to have forgotten if they ever knew the dwarves and elves of the west. she was hated for her differences and rejected by all. her past is shrouded in mystery and she knows nothing of it. her only clue is medallion many seem willing to kill her for.

Khaile is a human wanderer from the town Eliana was found near. he grew as her only friend and was rejected for the association. he now wanders alone save for a wolf called Moran with no memory of his past but dreams of an unrecognizable woman who calls to him to return. he avoids people whenever possible though whether it is out of contempt or because they accentuate the emptiness in his own life even he doesn't know.

Moran follows Khaile to protect him and guide him. he misses Eliana for she could communicate with him as easily as with anyone else and while Khaile can accurately interpret mood and basic reactions, his first friend was the lady and if she did not derive comfort knowing Khaile was not alone the wolf would be by her side.

also, i am aware that the dragons in tolkien's world were not those that could assume human form, but if no one who joins me objects, i will later introduce a girl of draconic descent.
Last edited by eliana-returns on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby bombadil12 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:58 pm

I am interested!
I have no idea of who yor characters are though. oh well, It'll come.
bombadil12
Shield Bearer

Postby eliana-returns » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:10 am

that's fine. glad you're interested. i'm gonna start looking some stuff up, but i should be able to post something story-related this weekend
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby eliana-returns » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:31 pm

edit: i replaced the original post with the one i had written here so that any newcomers to the thread might see it first. please be sure you've read it post-edit
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby eliana-returns » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02 am

i have put up the first post. khaile and eliana are mine, if you want sal you may have her and we can work out her past with khaile in email, otherwise i'll write her as well.

i will continue writing this thread whether anyone joins me or not. once someone does i will write at an appropriate pace to include them, whatever that may be. until then, i'll write as it comes, but please feel free to join when you like, just let me know here first.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby bombadil12 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:55 am

I will write. My character is Fearandir, an elf who wanders the land alone as a healer and merchant of magical items. He has ew friends, and when he does have them it is only for a short time. He has lived for a long time, though how long is unknown. It is known, however, that he was present at one of the sieges of Dale in the Third Age. It is very fitting that he would have some sort of interest in the Palantiri, as he collects and sells magical artifacts. There is his history, soon I will write in your RPG- assuming its OK with you of course :wink:
bombadil12
Shield Bearer

Postby eliana-returns » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:09 am

that's fine. the only problem is this, at the moment, eliana is tracing her past, not palantiri. once sal meets up with khaile, he will know what is going on, and once he finds her she will be informed as well, but i don't know precisely how long it will take for him to find her and they are both the type to wise and silent on such matters, so you will have to find another reason to travel with them before either will take you into confidence. if you can do that, you are more than welcome to play your interest in the palantiri however you wish.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi Eliana :)

I'm just posting to say thankyou for your gracious invitation but unfortunately I will have to decline :( Apart from the fact that my character is still caught up in an RP which I do not know how it will resolve, I'm not much of a regular RPer these days so it would be unfair of me to get involved in another.

Again, thanks for the invitation though :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:07 pm

ah...sokay. just thought i'd let you know it was up as we attempted lammoth twice in the past.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Ignore my final comment in the story thread :oops: If I had looked a little harder, I might have noticed this thread. Anyway, I posted in the story thread :)

Mirdain is an elf too, from Lorien. Eliana is somewhat familiar with him. I also posted with him in the Mithril Knights' threads.

Eliana, is it the Prancing Pony where your character (eliana) is staying as of your first post? I figured putting Mirdain in the Shire would allow him to follow the guy he ran across to your doorstep. You can take care of the meeting if you would like, or I could do it too if you'd like.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:29 am

yeah, i'm in the pony, and i'm setting out in the morning. i'll just let you meet up with me as you wish. perhaps you'll come upon me and the stranger that just passed you...hm...
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:36 pm

Eliana, is that guy that's in your room the one I ran across? If so, cool, then Mirdain will appear in the next post. If not, that's cool too. I'll move Mirdain along by tomorrow either way.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:00 pm

the guy in my room is bombadil12's character, not the guy from your post
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby eliana-returns » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:04 pm

just to avoid any possible confusion in the future, i am operating on the assumption that fornost was rebuilt and that is where sal is leaving from, where the king currently is, but i think he might head to back to gondor soon. i imagine him splitting his time between the two, but mostly in the south as it is larger. does that make sine to everyone?
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Sure. Sounds good to me.

edit: Ok, sorry for the longish post in the story thread. I figured I shouldn't just say "OK, he was over there, and now he's here" :) I also pulled out my copy of FOTR to try to make sure my usage of the landscape and distances was correct, though it might still not be. I decided that it would work better to have the encounter mentioned in my first take place the night before you arrive at the inn eliana, making night when Mirdain arrives at Bree the night you're there at the Pony. I also thought it would work to have the stranger attack you in the daylight after you leave town, and to have Mirdain catch up to you then. Does that all sound good?
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:54 am

sounds fine. i saw your first version of the post this morning and came back to make my own this afternoon and noticed an added paragraph or two at the bottom! it threw me for a minute but then figured out the time discrepancy and had it worked out. i came here to clear the whole time thing up only to discover that you've already done so:)

anyway, feel free to initiate the encounter if you like. if you'd rather not, i'll do so after bombadil posts again. i'm not yet comfortable enough with his character to much more than i have as of yet. come to mention it, it's been so long that i'm not really sure how mirdain and eliana's interaction is going to pan out.

the way i figure it, this is considerably after "the ruins of barad dur" (once known as epic journey) and she's been traveling alone almost ever since. i went back and read that thread, as it is the most relevant to her character, as well as wandering's personal quest threads. any relationship legoslas seemed interested in building with eliana in barad dur never occured, mainly because he had a tendency to flirt with the newest pretty girl around, but it didn't really matter to eliana because she didn't really take it that seriously anyway, being more interested in "deeper" personalities than he seemed to have, if that makes sense. she hasn't seen wandering since he lost his master and then aberath and holed himself up in the wizarding tower and she misses him, hurt that he would waste aberath's sacrifice like that, hurt that he would abandon his friends the way he did, and believing him a fool to waste his life instead of facing it. i guess she hasn't seen mirdain since then either, and misses him as well. it is rare that she makes true friends, allowing them truly know her, since losing khaile. i couldn't find any threads in which she adventured with erinhue, though i know she did, so i'm having trouble sorting her relationship with the bard and my relationship with the man behind him. all the other people she traveled were good companions and true friends, but none of them came as close as these. (mostly cause that was five, six years ago and i can't remember them)

the other problem with barad dur was that radagast had the villain recover the palantir and part of our quest was to either destroy it or return it to saruman's ghost. i suppose we can simply ignore that part, or, since the thread was never completed, we can say that we defeated the dragon, but the palantir was once again lost somewhere in mordor. either way, i was considering that to be the one the enemy in this thread has found.

sorry for the long post

edit: i'll update khaile and sal as soon as i rememer to look up how far fornost is from mt grim and therefore know how long it will take for her falcon to find him

btw- at 4mph, the average walking speed of a horse, it will take 9 days to reach rivendell from bree, barring any unforseen obstacles :roll:
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 am

Alright cool, it sounds like everything is working out. One thing I was debating about was whether I should include something about Mirdain as a Mithril Knight in this story. Mirdain joined (and afterword went on several adventures with) the MKs in between the time period of the epic journey thread and this thread. However, there were so many other important characters and storylines involving the MKs when I last posted with them, that it would be hard to do that all justice here, unless I could recruit a bunch of the MKs to join this adventure, which I doubt. Presumably at least some of Mirdain's MK friends would still be around at the time of this adventure. Anyway, I was thinking of just not talking about Mirdain's time in the MKs in this thread for now. Maybe i'll figure out a good way to work it in later.

btw- at 4mph, the average walking speed of a horse, it will take 9 days to reach rivendell from bree, barring any unforseen obstacles

What about from Brandywine Bridge to Bree? I couldn't find a distance measurement in the book (just by skimming mind you) in order to more accurately guess the time it would take.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 pm

if you want to consider the mks as part of his history, you don't have to mention them directly, those quests are part of who he is now. maybe one or two will come up when he remembers "hey, i did something like this once" or "that reminds of so and so, i miss her..." type stuff. it would now be part of his back story.

from brandywine to bree is a little over fifty miles by road, almost exactly by the atlas if you cut through the way you said you did. if you were walking, that would have taken...12-14 hours, maybe less for a hurrying elf, i don't know how much faster elves travel than men...

edit...all right, so it seems the falcon could have made it to mt grim in less than four hours. it will take the humans, however, about three days to meet up in the middle. from there...well, i still have to figure out where it would be most logical for them to start looking...hm.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:03 am

ok, we meet at last! :) I left the stranger alive, but you can make him dead if you like.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:30 am

falcons - 40-55mph 105-110mph short bursts
wolves - 5mph 25-35mph in short bursts 1-30 miles a day
men - 3-4mph 1-10mph running
horse - walk - 4mph trot/ambling walks - 8mph canter - 15mph gallop - 25-30mph

for my reference later, so i don't have to keep looking it up

i hope eliana's reaction to mirdain was clear. she's really glad to see him again and would like nothing more than to travel with him again, to have someone near she trusts and enjoys, but she's afraid that if he accompanies her he'll be killed by people after her, making it her fault in her eyes.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:57 am

Sorry I didn't post over the weekend. I'll get something up by tonight.

Eliana- eliana's reaction was fine. I can work with it :)
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:08 pm

this looks very intrigueing to me....are you accepting characters?
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby eliana-returns » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:48 pm

yes. just post some outline of your character here. also, where you want to join up. the easiest place would be the pony. the other option is up north with sal and khaile, unless of course you wanted to play sal. i'm not trying to pawn her off, just making her available.

i'm going to try to post something tomorrow, it's been the end of the semester for me with papers and essays and exams. sorry. i am thinking and planning some stuff.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm

this is my character......I'll think about a joining place

Name- Analin (means 'the gift of song' or 'the song's gift')

Gender- female

Race- half-elf

Age- Very old, though she never tells the number of her years

marital status- single

Hair- predominantly deep golden, but is somewhat red in the right light; is abundantly curly and falls a little past her shoulders

Eyes- clear, alert, and pine green and rimmed with dark heavy lashes

Build- short and small......legs are almost strangely long for her height, making her a little off-balance at moments. Her hands are small, strong, and very calloused from years misuse.

Face- quite plain, soft and round and a decidedly sweet mouth and notable cheekbones

Occupation- a ranger of sorts; a wanderer

Alliance- Though Nargothrond is long destroyed, Analin considers herself still of that people.

Personality- alert, very wary, slightly doubtful of strangers. She is kind, but not overly gentle. She loves the outdoors more than anything else. Her voice is soft, as she is rather shy; and she often would rather listen to conversation rather than speak. Once acquainted, she is very kind and enjoyable to be around. Is lighthearted and loves laughter. She is very soft, and mostly fluid in her movements despite when moments of awkwardness come on her.

History- Her father we an elf that served under Lord Finrod Felagund and was close to Finrod as a brother. He fell in love with and married a mortal girl in his early youth, and Analin was born into the court of Finrod. She was well beloved by all and was as a daughter Finrod. Her father was one of Finrod and Barahir's companions when they went into Angband to steal a silmaril, and there he died with his king. Analin remained in the court at Haudhodrond and was considered one of those people and was a friend of Finduilas, daughter of Orodreth. Analin is almost a walking a legend from the people she has known.....Celegorm taught her to track when she was very young, and she tended to Galadriel on her stays in her brother's city. Analin will tell very few people of the romance in her youth, or who it was that she love and who loved her, for it ended in the deepest of betrayals.
Her mother was killed in the sack of Nargothrond and Analin was taken captive. She escaped and ran in fear after the orcs left Finduilas pinned to a tree, Analin wandered in the wild for a time, and became skilled in tracking and hunting. She was found one day lying on the ground in a deep sleep, and was carried to Sirion by a young elf and there she recovered from a terrible fever. She worked for Elwing as housegirl and became dear friends of the twins. It was this family that truly knew, despite the rumors, that Analin was not mad. She dwelt in Lindon for a time after it was founded, and for a time in Mithlond.
She dwelt in Lothlorien, come the third age, and Galadriel accepted her as a lost niece. She dwelt there for many years. But Analin was not truly content in Lorien, and so she moved on to Rivendell. Through all these homes, Analin never forgot the halls of Finrod.
Many stories surrounded the mysterious half-elf, including that the music she made on her harp was enchanting and would draw you forever into the spirit realm. Analin vanished from Rivendell one day, the same day a young ranger who had been smitten with her vanished. It has been whispered that Analin killed the young man, and she was shunned by all the people she met, sending her to live in the wild as she did in her early youth once more. The tales around her grew darker, and she is feared to those who have heard the worst of the tales. She will join almost any company, given they will accept her and not see her as mad.
Another strangeness about Analin is a tattoo that is twined around her wrist…a tattoo of Finrod’s symbol, the same symbol that is on the ring of Barahir. It is said that some of Finrod’s power dwells in Analin…the same power he exhibited towards Angband before he died.

Weapons- bow, long knife

Weapon of choice- bow
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby eliana-returns » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:56 pm

wow, that's some character.

all right, as i have found that actually getting away from the inn can be the most difficult milestone in a fledgling story, i'm going to move us ahead a bit. if anyone has any objections to the way i do this, please let me know.
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:22 pm

there! I have an intro post up...is it alright with everyone?
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby ILvEowyn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:23 pm

OK, i've been going crazy over finals, but i'll try to get something up tonight when i'm done studying for the night.

edit: Ok, I hope I used you guys well in my last post.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby bombadil12 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:50 pm

Fine by me, I didn't know we were anywhere near Amon Sul though. I have to brush up on my LotR geography!
bombadil12
Shield Bearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 pm

I might be completely off base there. I was just thinking, since Bilbo stopped by Rivendell on the way to Mirkwood, it was the logical place to go, but I guess that's not necessarily the case. And since Frodo and co. stopped by Amon Sul on the way to Rivendell, I figured we would probably be near there too.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby eliana-returns » Wed May 02, 2007 7:15 am

i have no complaints with the posts made. i'll try to get something new up either today or tomorrow.

i understand the finals thing. i just took my last one this morning :roll:
eliana-returns
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)