Return of Thuringwethil (OOC) We got a full house peoples!!!

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby rowanberry » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Well, I think that during the last 80-something years, there has been some trade between Erebor and Mirkwood. But, I'm sure there will be enough controversy to make this interesting. :wink:
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:48 am

Hmm, I'll try to think of something, but date for getting back my Internet is very tentatively set until the end of this week *keeps fingers crossed really thight*... and now I will have to think about how I view dwarves...might be very interesting :P
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Are we going to move on soon? :P My computer is up and runing once more, so I'm eager to tap away on the keyboard... As for how to introduce Rowan's character into the story, I think we might as well head out and catch up somewhere along the way, no? Before or after Rivendell? I don't really have a post at the moment, but if none of you guys can come up with anything I can try :roll:
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 am

I was thinking that, because it's rather late for Jarni to show up at the Lucky Fortune Inn, maybe the travellers would spend a night at some other inn between it and Rivendell, and Jarni would also happen to be there? The Prancing Pony perhaps, or the rebuilt and reopened Forsaken Inn?
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 am

Hmm, have to refresh my memory somewhat I see...I was under the impression that the LFI was situated roughly about where the Last bridge is...this would mean that the Pony is in the wrong direction, but...where is the Forsaken Inn? Can only remember one reference to it, but no location. And btw, that comment you made earlier about trade between Mirkwood and Erebor, where did you get that information? I'm just a very curious type of person :P
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:44 am

If the LFI is somewhere close to the Last Bridge (I've got no idea of its whereabouts), then I guess the Pony and the Forsaken Inn are out of question. So, maybe they should meet in Rivendell? Of course, there are the Trollshaws between the Last Bridge and Rivendell, and that could be a good place for the evil forces to attack the company again, and a certain dwarf would happen to be nearby and would get into the fray.

I have no literal evidence about the trade between Mirkwood and Erebor; but, I believe that, after the battle of the Five Armies, the elves and the dwarves weren't so extremely suspicious of each other anymore. Also, the Mirkwood elves seemed to have some trade with the outside world (at least in The Hobbit), and I should think that, the dwarves of Erebor wouldn't be totally self-sufficient either. So, even if those two peoples maybe didn't trade directly with each other, there's a good possibility that, their representatives could have met in Laketown for example.

At least Jarni, who has lived in Gondor and Rohan for a few years, definitely has had dealings with both humans and elves; I'm sure that the elves from the colony in Ithilien took part of making Minas Tirith greener.
rowanberry

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:28 am

The Last Bridge is about 120 miles west of Rivendell (at least rougly that after having looked at the map in the FotR) and it took Aragorn and the hobbits some 6 days to get from there to Imladris (but then they were on foot, with Frodo injured and having to stick to the trees and hidden paths to avoid being caught).

I'm voting for the Trollshaws, mainly because I'm craving a little action and in the mood to kill something :P

That seems plausible, even though I can imagine that Thranduil at least wasn't too thrilled about trading with Dwarves :wink: (then again, I might be damaged from reading too many fics about him not exactly loving them) And yes, the Elves who lived in Ithilien under Legolas most definitely aided the Gondorians in that task.
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:39 am

Well, maybe fics do justice to neither Thranduil nor the dwarves... ;) I should think that, in the early 4th Age, those two peoples live in a peaceful coexistence, although not always in the best of terms, and such a friendship that developed between Legolas and Gimli would be unique.

On horseback, in good conditions, one could maybe make it from the Last Bridge to Rivendell in three days, I should say. So, if Jarni travels on foot, he has probably passed the LFI a few days before the rest of the company leave it, and is somewhere ahead of them on the road.
rowanberry

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:42 am

Sounds quite alright to me...can't wait to get going! :P

And I do know that fics aren't the most reliable (if at all) things in the world at accurately portraying characters :wink:
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby Claymore » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 pm

I got us on the road,I hope everyone is okay with that.
As for where to meet Jarni we can't do it In the Prancing Pony or in the Forsaken, both are near Bree and The Lucky Fortune is somewhere between the Weather-Top and the Last Bridge on the Great East Road.
The Trollshaws are a good idea or just Rivendell.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:34 am

Maybe an incident at the Trollshaws would give us some action? Also, if there's an attack or something, which Jarni is there to witness, it would make him a bit suspicious. And then, in Rivendell, he might get to know something more, and come up with his suggestions for the future course.

I'll write my character in as soon as I know where he will meet the others.

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

rowanberry

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:17 am

That sounds great... ehrm, am having some difficulties to write a pleasing post (darn my stubborn muse...stole all my chocolate and is now demanding more :P ), but I'll try to get something up at the very latest in a couple of days, if no one else beats me to it.
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby SmogsFlame » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Haha. Sorry Arail I beat you. But you can still make a post :wink:
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Location: One step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break!

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:14 am

I don't mind in the slightest, and I'll try and finish that darn post soon; think I have found leverage on muse: home-made chocolate cookies! :twisted: hehe
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:51 am

Have everyone gone into hibernation or something? Or is this by any chance the result of those darn muses banding together and using blackmail on their sad, innocent writers? :wink:
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:08 am

Maybe it's just this time of the year, everybody seems to be swamped in the couple of weeks before Christmas.

But, if it's more or less decided that, something happens at the Trollshaws, I will write Jarni camping there with a couple of travelling companions (which will go their own way from Rivendell).

rowanberry

Postby Claymore » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:19 am

Oh my muse is working very productive but she's busy with school work unfortunately.:roll:
But I hope to have more time during the holidays. I will try to write something to get our company to the Trollshaws but again if anyone manages to write something before me post it without hesitation. Rowan don't hesitate I would say.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:54 am

Ah, yes, school work, the doubtful bliss of having three essays and two exams due til after Christmas, I'm getting started on them, just...not right now :roll: And I promise I'll get out of your hair, guys, just give me a swat on the head if I get too annoying :P
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby SmogsFlame » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:44 pm

Well don't worry to much. I'm still around, and my muse is very active. The only problem is I don't have much time to write anything down. Between finishing school before Christmas break :bookworm: , a report that's due this week, working on a new gym program, Christmas shopping, decorating, cooking, wrapping, parties, church a couple times a week thrown into the middle of all that, and some sleep now and then...There's not much room left for the internet lol. I do try though.

Look for me to be back for a good long while after New Years lol. Oh BTW, has anyone seen Swordsman?

Oh and one last thing, here's your swat Arail :club: lol :wink: :hug: Is that better? lol Merry Christmas peeps!!!
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Location: One step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break!

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:39 am

Haha, thanks for that SF! :lol: Yepp, there's a lot of stuff around Christmas, can't say that my list is quite as impressing as yours, but I have enough, I think... Will look out for you, standing in some random tall tower and peering through my looking-glass. :P And, no, haven't seen Swordsman around in a while. Have a Happy Christmas y'all!
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby Claymore » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:18 am

Okay got us at the Trollshaws,everyone okay with that?
I left the identity of the ranger pretty open. Maybe we can use him later. Or someone else can jump in using him.
Rowan your turn I would say.

As well, though a bit late
Merry Christmas Folks
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:40 am

Love it, Clay! That post leaves for some pretty interesting action :P can't wait
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks, Claymore, I'll start working on my post, as soon as my muse has recovered from an overdose of chocolate... :P

ETA: OK, made a post. If it doesn't fit in to what the others have in mind, I'll edit it; but, that won't happen until Sunday, I'll be away for a couple of days.

rowanberry

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:53 pm

That seemed well and good enough for me, Rowan (it did take my brain a while to figure out who the sneaky people among the trees could be, but I just blame that on the fact that it's been sluggish all day :P) Anyway, I'll try and put together something, but don't hope for too much, I'm not all that good at writing fastpaced action, or action at all for that matter...so if someone beats me to it I won't complain!

EDIT: Well, there you have my post. Not really happy about the first part of it, but what can you do? Now for some action! :wink:
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

How's about Ûlugz the friendly orc?

Postby Ulugz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:38 pm

...Well sortof... :twisted: Lurking about in the shadows is my speciality :wink:
If you're interested in some angsty misunderstood orc interaction I'd be up for it. My wargs and I'd be on the trail of some other orcs who mistreated/killed some of their pack mates, when we'd stumble across your group. (Hence the stealthy lurking...) All I ask is that nobody actually kill any of my three wargs (painful wounds, and all the anti-warg and goblin prejudice you can dish out are A-OK)
I'll hold off on posting my Bio until you tell me it's OK, cause it's grown rather longish over the years (despite the fact that I haven't posted here in a good long while), and takes some time to read.. let alone type.
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:06 am

Hi Ulugz! Having an orc in the company would definitely offer some interesting possibilities! :) But, as I'm a newcomer in this story myself, I'll let the originators of it say their word.

I'll try and get something up tomorrow, if I'm not all too tired.

rowanberry

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:45 am

Hello Ulugz. I guess I'd be one of those founders (fancy I'd actually be called that one day :P), and I see no hinderance for you to join. For sure there will be a lot of drama (orcs is about the one thing that can set my gal's blood truly afire...), but that might be rather interesting. :twisted: We'll see what Clay and SF say about it, but I think it's okay.

EDIT: Oh, and guys, I suppose someone in the company ought to be at least a bit friendly towards Ulugz after we have encountered him (I can't see how else he is going to tag along with us...), and I know that there is jut no way that Arail is going to be the one doing that. I don't really know how she feels about Dwarves (we'll find that out, eh?), but Orcs there is no way that she'll accept.
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby Ulugz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:53 am

All Right, Here's my bio' and background story;
ÛlugzRace Uruk-hai. Apparent Race Goblin Warg-rider
Appearance;
Approximately four feet tall, with a thin wiry build. Ûlugz has all the endearing facial features of an olive skinned bulldog, crossed with a gorilla. Hair is a tangled mass of waist length dirty black dread-locks that are tougher than most mail coifs. Generally wears patched together transition style armor over a quilted tunic and shaggy hide leggings.
Gender Undeterminable, assumed by most (incorrectly) to be male.<BR>
Gear;
She wears a light-weight assortment of mismatched armor, mostly leather but with some mail, and an open face riveted helm with cheek-guards and beaked nasal-guard (sort of a gothicized spangenhelm). Her weapons include a powerful laminate recurve bow with a variety of hunting and war arrows, a scimitar, a small axe, and several dozen knives and daggers (some for throwing, some for skinning and butchering, even some for close-in fighting when all else fails). Everything she owns has been stolen from the dead, so her gear is a bizarre mix of human, dwarven, and goblin make. The only thing she will not take is elf-gear. When attempting to look 'friendly' she wears dagged and slashed motley with a huge plumed red hat. The hat is steel lined, and there's armor under those poufs, daggs, and ribbons, but it looks pretty harmless. (Think landsknecht soldiers)

Ûlugz, Character Bio

Born in the last decade of the third age, in the dank pits beneath the tower of Isenguard, she was a nameless female infant of a nameless orcish brood-slave. From the moment she shrieked her first indignant breath, life was a battle for survival. Like most Uruk-hai, she had killed and eaten her weaker sibling by the time she was three months old. By the time she was three years old, she was an orphan. Her dam had failed to give live birth for two pregnancies in a row, and was hemorrhaging severely. The birthing hag shook her scraggy head, and proclaimed the female orc worn out with bearing almost thirty young over the past twenty years. She was still alive when the overseers threw her body to the wargs.
Watching the savage, starving wolves battle each other over her screaming mother’s entrails, the orc-child felt a strange sympathy for the giant monsters. They were the most powerful creatures she had ever seen, and yet were captives here, like herself. From that day forward she was always in, or around the warg pens. Any creature, from rodent to human slave to unwary orc, that came within reach of her little knife, was quickly reduced to bite-sized treats for her favorite beasts. The wargs quickly realized that extra food was forthcoming if they allowed this particular orc to approach them. They snarled and snapped at each other, but would back away to allow the little orc to clean the filth from their pens. This unusual rapport did not go unnoticed by the captain of the warg-riders. Never realizing the young orc could be a female, so far away from the maternity caverns, he demanded that the “Snaga” join his warg cavalry unit.
So it was that a mere child of the Uruk-hai, disguised as a goblin warg-rider, found herself being trained in the use of weapons that a female would normally have been forbidden to touch. She learned the language of the giant wolves, and how to use the momentum of a running mount to make a sword thrust more deadly. She learned to concoct deadly toxins, and how to envenom an arrow or blade without poisoning herself. And she learned to use a bow. The powerful composite bow of laminated black-horn, wood, and sinew became her forté. She could shoot with equally deadly accuracy from the back of a leaping warg, or standing on the ground. Her body grew lean and hard muscled, though still small and wiry of frame.
As she grew older, hiding her gender became more and more difficult. She took to coating herself with rancid fat, oil, and warg dung to hide her female scent. After her first training raid on an outlying Rohirrim village, a golden bauble and the roasted flesh of the woman who wore it, was sufficient to bribe the ancient birthing-hag to teach her knowledge of herb-lore. With certain roots and herbs the young orc was able to stunt the development of feminine attributes, but they hindered her overall growth as well. She would remain the height attained by her seventh year, for the rest or her life, easily passing for a goblin of the misty mountain caves.
When the armies of Saruman marched on Théodred and Erkénbrand at the fords of Isen, she rode with them. She was now referred to as Gakhdhâr-gorosh (third rank - right side). Gakhdhâr had never fought an organized and well armed opponent before, and the ferocity of the battle unnerved the eight year old orc. Suddenly she was aware that fighting for the Sharku could also mean dying, for a being who would refrain from kicking her only to avoid soiling his shoes. When the wild wolves slunk back into the hills after feasting on the battle carrion in the night, she urged her giant gray mount to join them. Fleeing back up into the mountains above Nan Curunír, the lone orc watched in disbelief from a high mountain ledge, as the Ents destroyed her former prison, the only home she had ever known.
Fending for herself in the wilderness, it wasn’t long before the native goblins found her. Mistaking the Uruk for one of their own kind, and not wanting to fight so well armed an orc or so large a warg, the goblins invited “him” to join them. The dialect the mountain goblins spoke was unfamiliar, and when the inevitable questions of "Who are you?" and "Where are you from?" and "How did you get here?" were asked, the little orc could only point back the way it had come and respond "u Lug." (the Tower) Mistaking the response for a name, from that day forward the orc was called Ûlugz by the goblin tribe
After a varity of misadventures Ûlugz succeded in joining the Bard's guild where she is known as the warg-song chanter of Angrenost. The Bard's amazing tolerance has taught the little orc a bit about friendship, a previously unconsidered concept. (and cleanliness...sortof :wink: ) She is willing to work closely with Hobbits, Humans and Dwarves, and she can even deal, fairly well, with elves. Though the touch of anything of elven craft still burns her flesh.
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:07 pm

I think at least Antaka will recognize Ulugz's wargs as some sort of kin. She can maybe meet them on one of her lone scoutings and get friendly with the Wargs? I believe she described wargs as being pretty rabid but I guess that if Ulugz isn't as bad as the usual orcs her wargs may not be as mad as the others.
We can build some kind of trust between Ulugz and the companions from there. Morwë trusts Antaka's judgment, they're pack after-all and he became a bit wolf himself over the years. He surely won't like to trust an orc, but he probably the most open-minded about them. He surely had some negative experiences with orcs, but he did not experience the War of the Ring in all its full horror.

How does that sound? Or am I rambling? ( Still dealing with the New Year lack of sleep :D)
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ulugz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:35 pm

O.K. I figured a fight's a fun way to jump in :horse: , and that mysterious other campfire was too good of a hook to pass up :twisted: . If anything I did doesn't jive with your plans let me know.

Hope my RP skills arn't too rusty... :blush:

(The Edit button is my best friend

p.s. Swordsman/Siegwulf, what instrument do you play? Ûlugz (predictably) plays a sort of bodrahn style drum. Perhaps music could be a way to make nice with you at some point.
Last edited by Ulugz on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulugz
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)