The Lost Son of Ghân-buri-Ghân - OOC

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Leoba » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:21 am

That was just a little "shoving Pontious down the hole" post from Culanir. I wanted to try and hook Tibo into the company a bit more and to establish just how many people (players and NPCs) we've got floating around the place and get us ready to roll.

Lith, that was a lovely post. I'm sorry for not having acknowledged it before. I thought I already had for some reason! I didn't mention your character in my post because I'm not quite sure how you want to weave the little lad in? If you want him to come down the Cornhill sewer opening with Pontious and Culanir etc then it might be an idea to get another post in, physically moving him to that location (you've already got him nicely set up moving in that direction I see) and give us some hints as to his reasons for getting involved (deliberately or accidentally!).

Kaya, I see thee lurking daily. Are you still with us? Din and I are loathe to move on apace until you're in you see!
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Kaya » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:44 am

I lurk from work, I confess. :wink:

Life's a bit hard these days though, which doesn't easily bring me into a joyful writing mood. I'll spare you the details since I'd only sound like an old record repeating itself. :(

But I'll see what I can do today concerning RP. I had the strangest dream last night, about a few of my RP characters, providing me with a possible situation I'd never thought of before - these muses are the strangest creatures! :woah:

I'm trying to situate where Cornhill would be compared to the docks (perhaps I'm reading over it, which could very well be since my head seems to be in a different universe lately). :oops: Any clearance on that would be a great help.

Great posts everyone. :D
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Leoba » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:46 am

Sorry to hear things have been tough Kaya. Don't fret if you can't get something up straightaway: this sewer system runs under the whole city and there are loads of exits and entrances to play with. =:)

I'm trying to situate where Cornhill would be compared to the docks

Wherever you want it to be really. There's no overarching game-plan for this RP (in case you were wondering). If something's been written into an RP post, try and be consistent with it, otherwise it's as open as your imagination will permit.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:27 am

Leoba wrote:Lith, that was a lovely post. I'm sorry for not having acknowledged it before. I thought I already had for some reason! I didn't mention your character in my post because I'm not quite sure how you want to weave the little lad in? If you want him to come down the Cornhill sewer opening with Pontious and Culanir etc then it might be an idea to get another post in, physically moving him to that location (you've already got him nicely set up moving in that direction I see) and give us some hints as to his reasons for getting involved (deliberately or accidentally!).

Thanks Leoba, :).
I meant to ask about it after I put up that post but life sidetracked me too. As it goes he can do a few things that will get him down there. It just depends on how soon you wanted to start playing the Wose or how much Culanir and the others know about the sewers.
To start with he can get to the house to drop the things off right when the good old boys are dropping into the sewer. He's curious and asks about it.
Plan A, he thinks it's odd and wonders if they know where they are going and whether the tide and weather might make certain parts of the sewers impassable. It has to let out completely somewhere doesn't it? Probably the ocean or a river.
Plan B, they're adults and should know what they're about. He thinks nothig else of it and completes his task fully. After picking up his things, he goes "home", which happens to be a less... used :lol: part of the sewer on higher ground. He bumps into a very lost Wose or the men on the way.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:25 pm

It just depends on how soon you wanted to start playing the Wose or how much Culanir and the others know about the sewers.

Lithy. The Wose is to be left alone for a while if that's ok. He is the reason for people top go down the hole, but a bit like the White Rabbit it plays no real part... for now. (Humm, see my next post).

I have a Plan C for you. Rather than following or bumping into the others, you could be hired by Culinir or Pontious to help, maybe offered a couple of silver coins (a days wage at least) to carry a torch or lantern?

I envisage at the moment that the others don't really know the sewers that well at all. Culanir certainly wont, Pontious knows the city above but not whats underneath. Would be useful to have somebody who knows bits of the sewers though, even if they don't know it all BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!

:)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor-niniel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Sorry, I was very occupied this week with finishing a short story for a writing contest.

Anyway, when I read Lithtaurs post (which is lovely!) I thought it was a good idea to take a teen or a child along, because he is smaller and can get anywhere in the sewers where the big folks won't enter. Now, Tibodom can do that too, but he's a coward (don't say that to him, though!). i also wondered if, when a boy comes along with the material, it is not considered more or less self evident by the others that he will come along.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:18 pm

A post is drafted and should be up hopefully tomorrow. I'd like to sleep over it all and make some more corrections when I have a fresh heart. :blush: The pen is rustier than the sword, as the saying goes... :wink:
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Kaya » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:31 am

I am so sorry for my endless waffling. :blush:

Let me know if it clashes with anything else, doesn't make sense at all, or if my pseudo-english is unreadable...

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:53 am

Thanks Dindraug! I'll have a post up tonight. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor-niniel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Kaya, sorry to have taken so long to read and comment - even though I saw after my first post after a long break how badly I feared to have lost it and how eager I was for comments...

You said, I had not lost it, and I chose to believe you - and now it's your turn to believe me. I loved reading that post. I love the details you put in there. I so loved the cardamom - Tobias always puts cardamom in his coffee and even took some to the army.

I like it that Kaya is 163 centimeters.... a small RP character like my Nin and like myself... I like it that she is running, and that a child (Lithtaur) and a hobbit can attract her with these feelings of motherhood... I like it hwo you make your two character interact, for those who know Arunakhôr, it's great to see him again... I like a lot about this post, I think you start to understand.

You know.... reading this.... it's like coming home.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Kaya, I'm even more embarrassed, reading Nin's post, as you and I both know that I've been lurking all day the past two days. I sent your post to Din via email as soon as I saw it go up and (my excuse is) I rather expected him to hop on here yesterday and offer you praises. ;)

Yes, it was good stuff and yes you do still have it and yes I still think you write like an American (it was the "gottens"!) :P:hug:

Edited to add: Nice one Lith. I had a Culanir post forming up as I read! No time tonight to put fingers to keyboard but I'll see if I can avoid work a little tomorrow morning. ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Lithtaur16 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:29 pm

oof Sorry, I wasn't expecting that delay though things are gearing up for the holiday here.

Great posts Kaya and everyone else. :)
Thanks Nin and Leoba! :)

Kaya, is she going to have to crack Arunakhôr upside the head good and proper next time he comes around or do I just have to wait and see. :wink: :P

Alright, writing about food right now... bad idea. :lol: I'll be back.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:30 am

You're all way too kind. :blush:

I had no idea 'gotten' was American, Leoba. I have no clue how I could have worded it otherwise. :?

Lithtaur16 wrote:Kaya, is she going to have to crack Arunakhôr upside the head good and proper next time he comes around or do I just have to wait and see.

Maybe, and maybe. :D I have no clue yet how - or even, if - this will develop any further in this story. I'm thinking about just leaving him on the upper side of the streets for the moment. But maybe later on, should an opportune moment arrive, I could give him some more stage. =:)

I really should work more and lurk less than I have done so these last couple of days... :whistle:

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Leoba » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:40 am

I should work more too (especially with the job-move issue looming - ergo much work to clear!) Maybe we need to kick each other's backsides when we run into one another here on the 20th occasion of the day? ;) Yeah, that RP post might have to wait a bit actually.

I had no idea 'gotten' was American

Got is the regular past participle of get in British English (and according to Dictionary.com, has been for the past 400 years). Gotten only survives now in the occasional term such as begotten or ill-gotten gains. Whereas, I understand, in American English, gotten is the regular past participle of get, especially in the sense of to receive or to acquire.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gotten

So it's not technically wrong, it's just glaringly American! :P

I have no clue how I could have worded it otherwise.

Alright, take: “her cheeks already had gotten red”. I would write that as: “her cheeks had already turned red” or “… become red” or “… gone red”.

Here’s another: “it had been the herbs that had gotten most of her attention.” I would perhaps write: “the herbs had attracted most of her attention” or you might substitute “attracted” for “caught”, “captured”, or indeed “got”. ;) Does that make sense? And does it explain why for months I thought you were an American ex-pat living in Belgium!
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Kaya » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:34 am

*kicks Leoba's backside* :P

I see what you mean. :) It seems it would feel strange if I'd be writing it otherwise though. I think I've learned the 'gotten' at school, and somehow it stuck. Or else I've watched too many movies.

*Hurries to leave before Leoba can kick back, and awaits new posts eagerly* :D

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby nienor-niniel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:53 am

I have not yet read the IC...

but

Kaya, I told you I'd try to get up a post during my lunchbreak today, but I did not think about the fact that I had a mediation session later today and did not manage to defocus and concentrate on Middle Earth.

So, maybe tomorrow.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:13 am

Don't worry Nin, write when you are in the mood and have some relaxed time. :hug:

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Dindraug » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Yes, write when you can Nin, thats all we can ever ask :hug:

Kaya, I am assuming its you who jumps down behind Pontious, but it could be anybody really. As you can tell, he is a bit jumpy, slightly claustrphobic and really not impressed with his lot at the moment.

And he hates rats....
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:12 am

If no one else has posted by then, I'll see what I can do over the weekend. :)
Do stop me if anyone has something up their sleeve, so I won't interfere with your plans.

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Leoba » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 am

Kaya, if you get there first then the post's yours. :D:D

Din and I are both still suffering with vile colds so don't expect anything from either of us this side of the weekend. I have a whole stack of RP posts (some part written) to get out and absolutely no creative juices making it through the fog right now. :(
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Kaya » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:06 pm

I hope you'll both get better soon. :( :hug:

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby nienor-niniel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:49 pm

I have been mentally very occupied, as you know from other sources.

Kaya, I did not forget about the things we discussed. Tag me, I am usually not far from the computer with my corrections.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:07 am

Will do, Nin. :) This evening might be a bit difficult - I haven't slept well for a few nights in a row now and my body is begging me for some sound sleep with a clear head. But I'm sure we'll cross cyber paths before the weekend is over. :hug:

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Dindraug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:30 am

Ok, not sure if that one works or not, but wanted to flesh out the Orc a bit and give him a reason to be in Pelargir.

Hope everybody is haveing a good prep-time for Christmas. Feeling frantic about it all but hey. Hope to get some more writing done, want to give Pontious a bit of a jolt over the Christmas brake ;)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:45 am

A soft tuneless whistle comes from the kitchen, a counter to the strong tenor currently butchering Erestor's masterpiece 'The drunken Ent’s got woodworm-oh, the drunken Ent fall down'.

There is the sound of metal on metal, a deep sonorous clang and an appreciative ‘Ahhh’ and a cloud of sweet smelling steam drifts through the doorway, along with the sloshing of water and the tang of finest Javan Arabica beans, medium roasted and blended with a few Costa Rican Robusta to give it a kick.

Suddenly the curtain to the kitchen parts and a black clad shrub like form, complete with freshly starched white shirt and a plane black tie steps in bearing a sliver tray with a silver coffee pot, two exquisite Umbarian glass cups with silver filigree mined in distant Dwarf holds whose names were known only as the rumours in Gondor’s bistro culture. And behind him, came another in a delicate white and blue ensemble topped with a fluffed white mop cap, bearing a sliver platter of freshly baked and still steaming chocolate chip cookies.

The pair looked at the door, expectantly.

:) Couldn't resist the Crocodile, always find them in sewers don't cha know.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Menon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:47 pm

There was a boot scrape by the door. Menon stopped, inspected the soles of each of his boots and decided not to bother. Not because they weren't muddied, they were, but because the soles were so thin it was too much of a risk.

He pushed open the door and was assailed by the aroma of coffee and...

"Chocolate Chip Cookies!"

The tall Rohirrim paced quickly to the two shrub like forms and hastily took a fistful of the cookies. A cup of black coffee was handed to him to which he said 'thank you' not sure the shrubs could even hear never mind speak.

'Right, Menon,' he thought to himself, 'it is a possible job so deal with the shrub creatures.'

"Um, is there anyone here?" he asked, choking down cookie, "I hear there is some work going?"
Last edited by Menon on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menon
Shield Bearer

Postby nienor-niniel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:43 pm

On a serious note, sorry, you all know why I did not have RP on my mind, but I'll be there (next week, though, please.)
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:13 am

I'm in the middle of exam preparation since a few weeks and exams will be starting next week. I probably will be back with a muse whose brain is on overdrive by the end of this month. :bookworm:
I can be tagged for a little plotting anytime before that though. :)

Miss you guys. :rose:

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Lithtaur16 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Nin, I saw the news in the Bard's guild thread. Hang in there mate; we're always here. :( .

Hi Din and good luck Kaya! :) Welcome Menon!

I'm looking for work and preping for the start of term next week while trying to come up with a wedding present for my sister. :roll: :rofl: I'm crazy :D but Musie'll be ready to write again soon.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Menon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:55 pm

You're in my thoughts Nin!

And yes, good luck Kaya.

Hello, Lith - this is Bardy, by the way, posting under my Menon character ID.
:)

Sooo... should I just post up the next bit of Menon's little introductory adventure or does someone else have something?
Menon
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)