The Lost Son of Ghân-buri-Ghân - OOC

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

The Lost Son of Ghân-buri-Ghân - OOC

Postby Dindraug » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:57 pm

“The lost son of Ghân-buri-Ghân” has a very simple premise. The woods wise but worldly very naïve Wose has jumped into the sewers that run all the way under the city of Pelargir in southern Gondor. The plot is go find him, and get him back to the palace of Pelargir, in one piece.

What is needed are the brave, or not so brave, to enter the sewers. They can be anything that can be sensibly found in Pelargir in the early years of the fourth age who can fit in tunnels under a city, so no ents, trolls or magically intelligent Mumakil.

The tunnels and sewers are big enough to move around in, say four foot to ten foot wide at need, with rooms, tunnels and maybe even a series of underground canals! They may be dark, but could be lit if people are living in there.

If you want to take part, please feel free to ask, give a bio for your character and let me know what you plan to take in there.

I do have a couple of points worthy of note though;
• Please remember where you will be writing. You cannot use a longbow in a four foot circumference tunnel, nor can you see far enough to shoot.
• Similarly, an elven longsword forged in Gondolin and six foot long cannot be swung in sewers. There is a reason orcs like long knives ;)
• You will need a light source, even if you are an elf, orc or dwarf. It makes it more realistic.
• Realism is important in good writing, so are flawed characters. They make much more interesting writing.
• Please do not ask to write the Wose himself. The son of Ghân-buri-Ghân, who at this time has no name because the Gondorians haven’t bothered to learn it, remains in the remit of the thread owner.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:28 pm

"Me, me. Pick me!". Leoba jumped up and down with excitement, her pen and inkhorn rattling together at her hip.

Okay, so maybe this wouldn't be the best venue for the troubadour/archer to play in, but I do have a red-headed Gondorian knight who would be simply perfect, as well you know (seeing as we’ve already discussed this). Culanir has good reason to be in Pelargir and indeed has an excellent incentive to get involved in the pursuit of the missing Wose, as will become evident when I post! I apologise in advance if my writing isn’t up to the standard once anticipated of me. Here’s hoping it gets better with practice.

Culanir's character background is buried deep in the Scriptorium.
Last edited by Leoba on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Re: The Lost Son of Ghân-buri-Ghân - OOC

Postby SmaugsBane » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Dindraug wrote: No magically intelligent Mumakil.

I guess that counts me out. I've been waiting to use "Snuffy" until just the right story premise came along. Are you sure? Okay, how about his best friend, a giant yellow bird? He's male, about eight feet tall and slightly effeminate. No? (You English probably aren't familiar with Sesame Street, a children's televeision show from the '70's, but this reference would be funnier if you were, so look here.)
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Elenath » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:08 pm

*blinks*

*thinks...*

*slaps self on back of hand*

No! No more RPs right now! NO MORE!

But I couldn't resist saying Hi to dear old brother-in-law :P
Elenath
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:25 am

Hi sis, good to see you too....even better if you happened to be passing a hole in the ground in a certain Southern Gondorian city :wink:

Humm, SB, I thought you more an Oscar..... I do remember the street. For most Brits it was our understanding of American urban culture in the 70's and 80's. We also knew that rural culture was like the Dukes of Hazzard.

I would maybe make an exception for Mr Snuffalupagus (I wasn't sure if you would let me call you that on the boards, but the secret is out now)....:P
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:40 am

Oh! :shock: :D

Sewers aye? Might be the perfect spot to bump into a long lost corsair... or a ranger from the north... or :angeldevil:

Gah... tempting, tempting... oh so tempting. I really should give it more thought though instead of just jumping in - I've got so much going on at the moment, like I'm finally making progress with another post for another story, same city but different altitude, and I'm about 400 pages behind combined over all my books. :whistle: :(
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Leoba » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:42 am

I just edited the link in my earlier post. The Character Archives were way out of date; I'd clean forgotten that I'd given up on them as my ever expanding cast of charactors got out of hand. So I've switched the link for my thread in the Scriptorium, which has about as indepth a synposis of Culanir's life as anyone's going to get without reading that fabulous Wedding Thread. Having read through my last update there, I reckon he's bang up to date to play this game. ;)

It's so good to see you guys nosy past, SB and Elenath and Kaya. You know you're tempted... let yourself fall. ;):D

I would maybe make an exception for Mr Snuffalupagus
That is just so wrong. :roll::D

*covers eyes; blocks ears*
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Green Dragon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:06 am

Can I join in?

I think it would be great in the sewers to meet up with a little 2 ft. high dragon. May be he could be a light source to a great wizard who has (even though he is very smart) been lost in the sewers for over 20 years and has even gotten to the point where he can't remember what sunlight looks like. He got lost while fighting some orcs. The seem to know the sewer, but after he had finished fighting and killing them he found himself lost.
Green Dragon
Shield Bearer

Postby Leoba » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:41 am

Hi there Green Dragon (and welcome to TORC and to the Pony :D). I thought I'd better reply to you as I know Din can't get on here at work and will be away over the weekend, so you'd otherwise be waiting till Monday evening for any acknowledgement.

I think you may need to give a little more thought to the character you propose though, as I don't recall ever reading about luminescent 2ft high dragons in the 4th Age. I know Din very well and I know that he likes to RP within the Tolkien canon (you know that comment about avoiding 'magically intelligent Mumakil': that was meant to infer that characters do need to be realistic within a Middle Earth setting). ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Green Dragon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:05 am

Ah, but this Wizard is nothing more than an old man who has gone a little crazy. His friend the Dragon has been hiding in the sewer so long that no one even knows he exists. The old man really was a great warrior who went missing, and now after all this time thinks he's a wizard. He can do a few little tricks, but he is more like the magicians we find today.
Green Dragon
Shield Bearer

Postby Dindraug » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:06 am

Hi Green Dragon.

I am sorry but I don't really think your wizard/warrior will fit in this rp. This may be a reasonably light thread, but it is going to be strictly Tolkien canon and the idea of a luminous two foot tall dragon is just not suitable. Also consider the premise of your character. How or why has he survived in the sewers for 20 years, and on what. And what were orcs doing in Gondor's second city more than a decade before the War of the ring?
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Elenath » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:28 am

Dindraug wrote:Hi sis, good to see you too....even better if you happened to be passing a hole in the ground in a certain Southern Gondorian city :wink:

Ack. Stop tempting me!

Sigh. Dang it. I'm still thinking about it... A Tolkien-canon-sewer RP is just too weirdly cool. That's what I get for coming back here, I suppose. Well, let me think about it a little more...
Elenath
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Oh geez. I think I'll have to just leave the Snuffy-related comments alone before we start violating the TOS. So Din, I'll appreciate it if you leave your personal relationsip with my wooly, long-trunked mammoth character out of this. :P

IRL, Oscar is pretty close. More like Bert or maybe sometimes a little Cookie Monster.
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:15 pm

I am so sorry (sort of) that that turned out to be such a BAP from Culanir. I guess I'd missed the old guy. ;):D

Am really sorry though for hogging the computer all night. :blush:

So Elenath, how's the thinking going?;)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Rholarowyn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:08 am

Leoba, nice post. :)

So True the Arrow, So Steady the Hand

No word in your quiver goes errant,
no thought from your bow is misspent,
no image falls short of your target,
so true are the arrows thus sent.
Your heart with a steady compunction
pulls the bowstrings few others could ply,
your story does more than just function--
your steady hand helps my heart fly!

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn
Warrior Bard of the White Tower

Postby Leoba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:35 am

Thank you Rho. :):blush: I'm liking making nice posts - had quite forgotten how pleasurable it is.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:37 am

:roll:
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Dindraug » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Spammer :roll:

So, we are off on tales of sewers and the lost. What an opportunity for say a certain elf maid sis of mine to play. Or Rho, imagine the dangers Culanir could get into, especially with that portly machiavellian....

Good to see you here :lol:

All I need do now is get my Osse cultist character written and we are really rocking.

Till next time.......
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:14 pm

I just have to sneak in here and say how lovely it is to see dear Din and Leoba back here again. :hug:

I'll certainly be reading along. :D
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Rholarowyn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:27 pm

Culanir...getting into danger...nahhhh...

Din it's good to see you back here as well. I don't have the time to get involved in a full RP, but if there comes a point in the story for a guest writer and a meeting between Culanir and Rholarowyn could add to the story, let me know. I'd say those two have a few unresolved things since the last time they saw each other. Culanir, well, shall we say, left Rholarowyn to fend for herself as he once again, hopelessly, persued the fair lady Lurea. (This plot is of course dependent on what last happened in the RP world and could be altered if we decided to.) :)

Willow :hihi:

So True the Arrow, So Steady the Hand

No word in your quiver goes errant,
no thought from your bow is misspent,
no image falls short of your target,
so true are the arrows thus sent.
Your heart with a steady compunction
pulls the bowstrings few others could ply,
your story does more than just function--
your steady hand helps my heart fly!

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn
Warrior Bard of the White Tower

Postby TibodomTook » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:34 am

Finally, my decision is to dive my toes into those muddy waters again.
TibodomTook
Shield Bearer

Postby Leoba » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 am

*tacklehugs the diminutive character*

I am so pleased, Nin. :D:D:D:D:D

Rho, I'm picking Culanir up from the end of his tale as set out in my Scriptorium thread; see my sig for the link. I can write alternate realities, but there's something more satisfying I find about letting a character develop in one continuous direction - for example, after the wedding thread, there's no way I could have picked Culanir up as he was before - nor could I turn my writing style back it would seem either! As for this RP - Din's involved - anything could happen!

Willow, it's lovely to see you too.; I still feel bad about running out on you when you were just starting to RP. :blush: It's good to see you've found your feet in good company though!

I suppose I should think about putting another post together. I have one quietly forming, but may just wait a bit and see if Tibo wants to sneak in first. ;)

Edited to add a :hug: from Din.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Would a young dockhand with a spot of pride, a family on hard times and a mind for using smelly, if empty, highways be welcome? :)

Hi everyone!
Rho! Kaya! Great to see you and eveyone else again. :)

Anre
12 (and a half :P)
Dark-haired and dark-eyed, a little shorter than four feet and slightly skinny
Son of Elian and Korin, an indebted shoemaker/tanner who lives in a nearby village

Apprentice rope maker when he is not helping with the loading or unloading of vessels, getting into scraps or trying to find a safe, free place to sleep.
Usually carries some water, a short fishermans knife, and two small torch bundles in a sack on his back, along with a stone and flint.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Lithtaur16 wrote:Would a young dockhand with a spot of pride, a family on hard times and a mind for using smelly, if empty, highways be welcome? :)

Absolutely. Welcome aboard, if that is the right term, Lithtaur. Your young dockhand sounds just what we need.

And Tibo, my dear little hairy footed friend. Glad to see you again and looking forward to writing with you again. And I promise this time I won't insist on taking your donkey onto a ship ;)

So, onwards we go, into the stygian depth's that lurk under Pelagir.....
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Kaya » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:17 am

Lith!!! So happy to see you here. :hug:

I decided I'd like to bring in my ranger from the north, who goes by my screenname, if that would be okay. There is some character sheet written about her, which I'll dig up soonish and edit in here. :)

Tibo my old friend :hihi: I'd like to plot with you, if you wouldn't mind.
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby TibodomTook » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 am

Kaya, I hope this little post did not interfer too much with your plotting plans.

I just had in my mind and a free hour at school to put it from my mind to my fingertipps and I was afraid that they were very, very rusty, so I was eager to type to see if I still could do it.

So.... does that go for you?

Will you still plot with me, Kaya?
TibodomTook
Shield Bearer

Postby Leoba » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:59 am

TibodomTook wrote:I was eager to type to see if I still could do it.

Believe me, Nin: you can! :D:D That was an absolute delight to read. I know Din will be thrilled (he loves the way you write Tibo). ;) You hooked yourself in beautifully - I can safely work on the theory that he was of the same party from Minas Tirith as Culanir and the Wose? And I presume that the afore-mentioined hobbit will have too much pride to back out when he realises where he really is going?!

Kaya, I emailed Din at work: he would love to have you on board. Does he know your ranger character already? Is she the one from Nightguards?

Hi Lith. It's lovely to see you again and I adore your character. We were just saying the other day how we needed a street urchin type in this adventure. ;):)

Eeeep! :D:D:D:D

Oh, if things go quiet, it's 'cause there's a tiny hiccup chez Leoba-Din at the moment: cruddy wireless internet access (I really don't know why we fork out as much as we are doing for it). Sometimes it works beautifully, sometimes it works not at all all, other times (like this weekend) it lets us open up a page and maybe make one post/email and then boots us off! The phone line is caput as well - it sort of works but the line is so crackly you can't hear a thing. I am 'this' close to giving up on the whole thing and just getting a USB modem through my mobile provider! But first, thinking it's really a phone line issue, I have to call British Telecom and see what they can do to fix things.

But notwithstanding that particular saga, I'd like to try and write another excerpt from Culanir this week.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Kaya » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:45 am

TibodomTook wrote:Kaya, I hope this little post did not interfer too much with your plotting plans.
Not at all. :)

TibodomTook wrote:Will you still plot with me, Kaya?
Always! :D

I so totally loved that post, Nin! :love:

Leoba wrote:Kaya , I emailed Din at work: he would love to have you on board. Does he know your ranger character already? Is she the one from Nightguards?

How can I explain this easily? Well, I can't... :oops: I switched names... The elf you are refering to once was named Kaya. But when I returned to Torc it was time for a make-over. So I changed her name into something more elvish (and I wanne write her in the other RP). But it's not her I'm talking about, it's this one, who inherited my main screen name but is a whole new character (unfortunately I never got far with that Script idea).

Of course, if you think she wouldn't fit in, I do have a few more. Like Bréhon (you know him, but I'm not sure I still could write him), Arunakôr (you know him, but you probably wish you didn't), Kos el Qadah (a desert dweller from Harad who I one day hope to write when the right opportunity arrives) and Heldred (a 16, 17 yr old Rohirrim in training I've only started to flesh out somewhere else).

Since so far it seems that women are outnumbered in this story, I thought it might be a good idea to bring in the ranger. But it doesn't have to be her, of course. :)

A Tale or Two

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby nienor-niniel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:39 am

Thank you, folks.

Tibo is just a nice guy.

And well, the posts before were so good, it was easy to hook on.

So, Leoba, everything you suppose can be right, as long as you don't make him anorexic, Tibo is open to be played.

Kaya :) :) have to catch you to get a motherly figure for my little fella under the ground. ;)

I'm glad.

I even showed M. this post....
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:53 am

Nin, that was superb, truly superb. I know you were worried that you may
have lost it, but that post just shows you have not, and have improved
as a writer. So looking forward to the little guy wandering around
underground.

Kaya, go with the ranger type is my thought. Any of your characters will
be fine, and if you want to drop them in at sometime, Kos in particular
or that dodgy ol' seadog, they will do fine. Not sure on the old pony
worriers, but the thought of Brehon covered in sewage is not totally
unpleasant to me ;)

Sorry for lightning post, work Balrogs only allow me to poke my head
over the parapet for moments....
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)