The Lonely Road Inn

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

The Lonely Road Inn

Postby elerrina_narloth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Along a forsaken road through the forgotten and lonely lands of Arnor, there sits a small village, if a village it could be called. It lay just east of Fornost, and one of its only three buildings is an inn.

Its old, Ash door was closed tightly against the cold wind and the horizontal rian it carried, the harsh drops splattering angrily against the glass of the lit windows. Inside the inn there sat only a few quiet figures; a young girl, a young man, and a couple of young boys, perhaps twelve years old.

"The night is far from kind, and hope traveler be on the road in it, but if they find their way here, at least it will be warm" Mirien was talking to herself more than anyone as she piled another log on the blazing fire that illuminated the front room of the old inn. It had been her father's inn, and his father before him, passing many along that lonely road.

Behind the bar, Darion looked up from his scrubbed tankards, but did not answer Mirien's insight. He had come to work for Mirien a year before, after her father had died. He had spent a while in prison for brawling, and being desperate for a job, he accepted the younger girls offer. Her father had died leaving the poor girl the only two things he had: the Inn and the fever, both being of equal worth.

Now, a long hard year later, Mirien was healthy and healed and the ancient inn was restored to life by their hard work and now ready for business. The two stable boys fidgeted by the door, both slightly bored. There was a banging in the kitchen and some bickering amongst the kitchen ladies, but all was well, all was ready.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Sir_Elwood » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:04 am

Suddently the door opens and a man in a weathered travel cloak enters the inn. His eyes sweep steadily across the hall but no expressions can be seen on his face. Soon he spots a nice table in the corners and starts walking towards it. The stranger is dressed clearly for traveling long distances, a long warm brown cloak, sturdy boots, a brown hood, a leather vest and warm pants. No insigia or else can be seen.
Sir_Elwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:41 pm

slowly the door creaked open.. looking in the dwarf could see there were few customers in the Inn at the moment.. this served his purposes well... the fewer people the fewer questions he had to answer and right now he was in no mood to answer many questions... the trip had been hard on the dwarf.. the months spent looking for his friend only to find out he had passed the month before he arrived... the dwarf had been wandering for the last month ... not caring where he was going or where he had been... he needed a place to settle for a while and strighten things out in his mind...

The dwarf opened the door and walked over to the bar.. "Good day, Sir. would you happen to have some good Dwarvian Ale and perhaps some food. I've been traveling long and am in need of food and sustinance"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Darion looked brightly at the dwarf,

"Very little Dwarven ale do we get in these parts, but I do believe there is enough" he turned to the many kegs behind the counter and immerged a moment later with a tankard for the dwarf, "Here you are good sir....what would like for your meal?"

Mirien looked to the quiet traveller darkly dressed, she approached and spoke clearly, yet quietly, suspicious if kindly was the young woman at heart.

"Would you like a meal or something to drink sir?"
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Master Samwise » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Samwise closed the door to his room at the inn and headed down the hall. entering the main room, he caught a whiff of smells from the kitchen, and his stomach growled as a response for not being sated for the past 2 hours. Walking up to the bar, Samwise hopped in a stool next to a rather disheveled looking dwarf. "Gimli? Is that you? Oh, my mistake. I thought you were someone I knew."

His old bones had grown weary, and he knew his time would soon come to head off towards Valinor and Master Frodo. However, before that fateful day arrived, he had decided to go on one last adventure, and it had led him here, 100 miles north of Bree. Not much of an adventure to speak of, but he had a while yet before making his journey west.
Master Samwise
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:34 pm

The dwarf looked at the bar tender. "thank you for the Ale. It has been many a day since I've had one this fine. As for my meal I'll have some of whatever that delicious smell coming from the kitchen is with perhaps some freshly baked bread and butter. It has been long since I've had anything besides traveling food."

Turning to the older Hobbit sitting near him at the bar. " Sir, sorry but I'm not Gimli. though my mother says I look very much like him. My name is Borin and Gimli is my cousin. I'm pleased to make your aquaintance"
Last edited by Borin_Silversmith on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Sir_Elwood » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:08 am

The man looks at the young girl from under his hood and speaks softly and politely. "Some soup and wine would be nice, thank you" The man gazes steadily at the dwarf and the hobbit, but as inconspicuous as possible, only to see if they are to cause him any trouble.

He seems to relax a bit and takes his hood of from his head.
Sir_Elwood
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Darion nodded at the dwarf's request, and turned to relay the request to the kitchen.

The constant racket of the kitchen intensified for a moment before a large slice of fluffy, fresh bread, lathered in creamy butter was handed out to the young barkeep.

He handed the dwarf's bread to him and went back to the tankards, glancing up occasionally.

He watched the dwarf and the hobbit with a smile, something about them both seemed friendly and remniscent of some old time, some fond memory in their minds.

"Anything I can get for tonight master hobbit?"

Mirien nodded to the man, easing slightly at the sight of the tense man relaxing, and momentarily hoped again that he was not up to any trouble.

"We have both potato and meat soup, and white and red wines....which would like?"
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Master Samwise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 pm

"Potatoes, of course. They're ever so versatile a food. You can boil em, mash em, put em in a stew. Not only that, but they're delicious."
Master Samwise
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Darion smiled at the old hobbit

"Potatoes you shall have then....how shall you like them tonight?" a hint a chuckle touched his deep voice and kindly face.

His hands still worked busily about the tankards, nearly through the last tower of dusty vessels.

He stole a glance at the client Mirien was speaking to, and more than a little curiousity sprang into his mind.

"Do you find the bread to your satisfaction Master Dwarf?"
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Nicolette_StormChaser » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:43 pm

once again the door to the inn opened this time a young woman walked in. She was half human and half elf. She had long red hair,bright green eyes and and looked very tired from travling.

As soon as the door opened the drawf looked around. Right away she know who the drawf was. she walked up to the bar and asked for some ale, some food and a room if they had one. then she turned to the drawf and said....
" hello master drawf i havent seen you sence i was a girl travaling with my father. Do you remember who i am?"
Nicolette_StormChaser
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 am

"Aye, Master bartender, this is the softest bread and the sweetest butter that this mouth has tasted in many a day" the dwarf said. "Please give my thanks to the cook"

the door opened and Borin noticed the girl as she entered. Something about her seemed very familiar. when she spoke He knew that he had met her before. "Now Lassie ye look very familiar to me, but your name just doesn't come into my mind at the moment. " Borin said, "perhaps ye can refresh this old man's memory."
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:37 pm

An oddly paired duo made their way through the downpour, the wind whipping their cloaks about them. The one, tall, fair and golden haired, seemed to float over the ground, so light was his step. The biting cold appeared to have no effect upon him, the bemused look on his face belying the slight irritation he was experiencing due to his rain dampened breeches. His far seeing gaze sought out any likely place they might seek shelter from the approaching night, not that he needed sleep so much as a chance to comb out his long flowing hair before it began to frizz.

His much shorter companion slogged through the mud of the track, puffing mightily. Once their path might have been a road; one could hardly call it that now. The wilds of what once was a somewhat humanized country had ages ago reclaimed their own, and the trees pressed in closely on either side. For the tenth time in as many minutes, the dwarf grumbled to his travel mate, "We're lost I tell you! This is not the way to Fornost! Not that there's any great benefit to finding that forsaken waste. I'm telling you, Aragorn was just being polite when he told us to 'drop in any time'."

To emphasize his annoyance, the dwarf shook his head, as a dog might, sending spray from his soaking beard and luxurious moustache all over the elf. The elf merely wiped a few stray drops delicately from his face and replied, "Oh look! There's a light ahead. Perhaps it's an inn."

Both travelers picked up their pace as the one thought of hot food and cold beer and the other hoped wistfully for a hot bath and dry pants.
Last edited by shaggydog on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby elerrina_narloth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:19 pm

(OOC: anyone can post here! :wink: it is set in the early fourth age....all characters Tolkien are welcome :wink: )

Darion nodded to the old dwarf and smiled,

"I most certainly do so Master Dwarf!"

His eyes fell on the young woman with curiousity.....this seemed to be a night for friends, and recognitions....he looked at the dark man and wondered when his friends would begin to arrive.

The tankards finished, Darion turned to the few wineglasses they kept in their stock.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:56 am

Legolas was first to reach the door of the inn. He stepped aside however, reaching for the handle and holding the door open for Gimli. The dwarf looked up at his companion somewhat suspiciously. “Age before beauty.” the elf said with an arch smile. Anxious to get inside and out of the blowing rain, Gimli merely grumbled something under his breath about elves talking about age as he stepped into the welcome warmth of the inn.

The elf’s sharp eyes quickly took in the inhabitants of the tap room. Most were clustered about the bar itself, but one suspicious looking character was off by himself in the far corner. It’s a wonder these places don’t have octagonal common rooms, the number of corners needed for these lone travelers, Legolas thought wryly. Meanwhile, Gimli had strided purposefully to the bar, calling in a loud voice, “I’ll have a slice of your best joint, extra well done, if you have it. And a tankard of your finest beer!” He added almost as an afterthought, “If you please.”

Legolas shook his head slightly at his friend’s lack of discretion. Here in the wilds of Arnor, you would think the dwarf might be a bit more cautious and at least take the time to suss out the surroundings and take the measure of the other persons present. You never knew who might be lurking, even in this time of the King’s Peace. Then again, the silly fellow had almost been skewered by Haldir back in Lorien, right in the midst of boasting to Sam Gamgee and the others about his alleged prowess at going undetected. The thought of the extremely gorgeous elf of Lorien, his bow drawn and taut, brought a whimsical smile to Legolas’s lips, and a momentary lapse of his own powers of observation. In a bemused state, he tripped lightly to the bar and took a seat next to a hobbit.

“Any chance of a hot bath and a warm bed tonight barkeep?” he asked, his gaze directed to the man behind the counter.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:57 pm

the dwarf sitting at the bar heard a voice he had not heard in a long long time... he noticing the tall blond elf sitting next to the Hobbit then turned and took in the elf's companion... if it wasn't his cousin Gimli .. actually second cousin once removed on his father's side of the family...

"well I'll be.. you never know who you'll run into ..." Borin said out loud to no one in particular... then turning to the elf he said " Are you sure you wish to be in that one's company good Sir?"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 am

"Actually, yes," the elf replied to the dwarf who had addressed him. "He's generally annoying, although frequently amusing, and he kind of grows on you, like a skin fungus." Unconsciously, Legolas shifted about on the bar stool and wondered if the heavy rain had managed to soak through his pack as far as his dwindling supply of talcum powder. "His head also makes an admirable drink holder in crowded pubs where you can't get a table. Whatever else your , er, shortcomings may be, you dwarves are exceptionally well balanced beings."

Gimli, paying no attention to his companion's prattling, had plonked himself down wearily a few stools down, waiting for the barkeep to acknowledge his order and hoping that whatever meat they served up here, that there would be no trace of pink about it whatsoever. He shuddered slightly at the mere thought of blood and reminded himself to cut into the joint first before dousing it with ketchup, in case he had to send it back. It had always made him queasy to watch his cousin Balin tearing into a barely cooked haunch. Why he remembered that one family reunion when . . .

The dwarf's gaze had been wandering vacantly about the taproom, and he had just registered that Legolas was engaged in conversation with another dwarf, when suddenly he realized who the dwarf was! His body tingled with that unpleasant prickling sensation one gets with a rush of adrenalin, and his brain gave way to the basest 'fight or flight' instinct. It was his cousin, Boring!

It was the memory of those blessed family reunions that had allowed the recognition to click into place. Boring - and his never ending, monotone ramblings about whatever useless and irrelevant topic popped into his thick skull. How Gimli remembered those few times when, cornered and with no means of escape, his cousin had held him captive for hours on end! In a panic, Gimli scanned the taproom, looking for a way to sneak away undetected. It had been years since he had last endured Boring's pointless anectodotes, and if once allowed to get going . . . Gimli felt at his back and was reassured by the soild heft of his battle axe.

Legoals was already doomed. It was every man, elf or dwarf for himself, Gimli thought grimly. He had just set one foot tentatively on the floor and was furtively sliding off his stool when to his horror, his cousin turned his head and looked directly at him!

Boring! No wait - it wasn't Boring! It was his son, Borin! Gimli thought his heart would stop in his chest, such a wave of relief washed over him. It was so difficult to tell one dwarf from another, even if you are one yourself, Gimli thought in annoyance. He could not count the times he had mistook his mother for his father, and his father for his sister, etc., etc. Somehow, Boring's offspring had avoided their sire's proclivity for endless drivle. Gimli had heard it was due to the fact that their mother had stuffed cotton wool in their ears at birth, but that was just hearsay. In any event, Gimli snuck a quick glance at his cousin's ears as he slid off his stool, and stepped over to shake Borin's hand, as if this had been his intent all along.

"Borin! Fancy meeting you here! I see you've met my friend, Legolas. We've been doing a little tour of Middle Earth. You know, famous homes and gardens, that sort of thing. Thought we'd wander up this way and check out the, er, untamed and foreboding forests and what not." It would never do for Borin to know that his cousin was blundering about Arnor lost . . . and with an elf! And such a pretty elf at that!
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Darion's eyebrow cocked slightly at the sight of an Elf and a Dwarf entering the room together, but business was business, and their business none of his........

"Yes of course!" Darion responded to the Elf's request, "We have a number of rooms of varying size luxury."

He turned then to the dwarf, "We have a fine cask of fresh brewed ale that I think will do just the thing for you....and I'll see to the cook about that joint"

He relayed the meal order to the kitchen before snatching a large tankard and filling to overfull with the dark, malty beer and setting it before the dwarf.

Mirien, busy about the strange guest's requests, eyed Darion over the bar with great satisfaction in her eyes......it would be a profitable night for certain!
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 pm

shaking his cousin hand "Well Gimli, so ye are wondering the wilds with this elf for companion." Borin said. "Have ye been home lately? I haven't seen the family in years. I was wondering how they be doing? I sent word home a few years ago. but have'na heard anything from them. I heard ye say ye wanted a room so perhaps we can catch up on family later. I'll let ye get to yer food "
turning back to the bartender Borin ordered another Dwarvian Ale and continued his conversation with the young lady....
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 am

"Good man." Legolas replied to the barkeep. "I'll take the biggest and finest you have then, and make sure there's plenty of wood on the fire. I'm very susceptible to draughts." He waited somewhat impatiently as the barkeep dispatched Giimli's order and filled a mug of beer for the dwarf, tapping his foot as he looked around the room. The other dwarf who apparently was some relation to his own dwarf, also ordered more drink. Legolas, feeling that there was definitely a height bias in this establishment, inquired somewhat curtly, "And whereabouts are the tubs? Can one be brought to my room? Or is there a bath house?" He flung a lock of wet hair petulantly back from his shoulder, hoping the man would get the point.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Nicolette_StormChaser » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:53 pm

She ate her food while she waited and listened as Borin was talking to his cousin and his friend. When borin turnd back to her he said

"Sorry about that lass now what was your name again? I am sorry that i cant remember"

"Thats ok it has been while. My name is Nicolette daughter of Edwin and Mareena. You travled with my father and I for a while quite a few years ago.I have grown so you may not reconise me. Does that help you memory?"
Nicolette_StormChaser
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:26 pm

thinking hard... Borin finally smiled "Aye Lassie ye have grown. I remember Edwin and Mareena, and I recall ye. My but ye were a wee mischevious little thing" he said... " how be ye father and mother lass, I ha'not heard anything of them for many a year"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:26 pm

*wanders about aimlessly singing M1 A1 by Gorillaz* :rofl:
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:51 pm

For one small copper,
the you-oung girl
would willingly lift her skirt.

For one silver piece,
the you-oung girl
would willingly take off her shirt.

But when I asked
to ditch the dress
for a gleaming coin of gold.

She said:
Nay my lord
I am a maiden,
and have an honor to hold.

The singer under the wet, sagging hood snorted a short laugh.
-Aggh Oromë's howling horn, how much do I long for some female comfort tonight. But I guess there isn't much chance of finding it here.
The wet singer threw a meaningful look at the empty land around him. His mare snorted at tossed her head. The singer laughed.
-When I said 'female comfort' I meant 'human female comfort'. I'm afraid you don't fall into that category, Wintersky.
The mare snorted again and then resumed her plodding advance in the mud.
-Okay, okay I get the picture. I guess we can already call ourself lucky if we find some hot food and a dry bed for me, and a nice dry stable for you.
Rider and horse went on in silence while the rain continued to lash down. Then finally when the man was trying to get himself used to the idea of another night under some wet bushes, he saw some light on the road ahead.
-Hey, hey it seems we will for once have a dry place to sleep.
The mare speeded up as if she too understood what those lights meant. Before long they were splashing through the main and only street of the village.
-Now let's see if there is an inn this lost corner of Middle-Earth.
Most of the houses had their shutters close against the lashing wind and rain, but one house had them open and a soft yellow light streamed through the window and fell on the muddy ground outside. 'Well, well it seems we have at last some luck,' the man murmured. He brought Wintersky to the stable. It was dark in there and no stable-boy came out to meet him.
-Ah well I can't blame them with this weather. I would prefer to stay inside too. Well it seems that it will again be me who will take care of you my lady.
The mare ignored him and eagerly pushed her nose into the fresh hay he brought her. The wet man laughed and while Wintersky was eating he took off her saddle and bridle and began to brush her dry. When the job was done he patted her one last time on the rump and made a quick dash the inn's door.

A few people looked up when he stormed inside but he ignored them for now. He pushed back his wet hood. The face under it was a young one, probably of someone who wasn't much older than twenty. The young man had a tanned skin, as if he spent uch time outdoors. His strong jaw was clean shaven and his eyes, were of a merry faded-out blue. His most striking feature however was his short-cut hair. It had already been fair to start with but it had seen so much sun that it was almost bleached white. The fair-haired man shook his head and took of his green cloak. Under it he wore the usual fish-scale shirt of the Riders of the Mark and a long sword hung from his hip. He also wore a short but powerful curved horse-bow on his back.
He walked with an easy long-legged stride to the bar and leaned on it.
' Greetings,' he said to the man behind it. ' Do you have some warm food and a dry bed for a poor sodden traveler?' He grinned an easy smile.
The barman couldn't help but respond to the grin.
-Of course, with weather like this we always have a lot of place available.Take place on one of the benches and I will ask someone to bring some food for you. Do you want anything specific, sir....?
-Ow excuse me. I'm Derfel. Derfel of the Mark, called the Fleet-Footed by my friends. And I really don't care what ends on my plate, as long as it is warm and decent and it seems I won't have to worry about that.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby shaggydog » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 am

Legolas eyed the newcomer appraisingly. One eyebrow lifted slightly as he heard the youngster's request for food. The lad seemingly wasn't too choosy when it came to what he put in his mouth. At that moment, the elf caught his dwarvish companion sending him a rather pointed look. With a frown, Legolas set his lips in what could only be called a pout, turned his attention away from the one called Derfel and demanded once more of the servers, "I say, about that bath. Anything doing?"

Gimli, swallowing down his beer in one long gulp, turned to their new companion and belched pleasurably, before inquiring, "Derfel the flat footed you say? Well, you have my sympathies young man. My own are none too suited to long distance running anymore either." Here he cast a baleful glance at Legolas. "You hail from the Riddermark? I blew a big horn there myself, not too long ago. What brings you to this forlorn spot? Can't quite see the attraction of it myself." Gimli's stare was blatantly hostile as he glanced in the elf's direction. Legolas, however, seemed oblivious, his serene countenance belying his worry about the state of his appearance and wondering how long it would be before he could get that bath and set things to right.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Nicolette_StormChaser » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:31 pm

"I regret to tell you my friend that my parents have both passed a few years ago, so I travel alone now. I dont realy have anywhere to go I just travel from town to town finding odd jobs when i need them."
Nic told Borin as she finish her drink.
Nicolette_StormChaser
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 pm

"I'm sorry to hear that Lassie" Borin said, "They were nice folks." finishing his drink, He signaled the bartender for another for the two of them...
"I plan on getting a room and staying here for a few days to rest up from my travels. Why don't I get a room for you and we kin catch up on old times."
the bartender came with their drinks. Borin raised his glass" a toast to Edwin and Mareena.. here hoping where ever they be they be traveling in peace and a fair wind."
Nicolette said" to my mother and father" with that they both took a drink and just sat in silence for a few moments..
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Claymore » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:39 am

Derfel turned around and was about to correct the dwarf but he abruptly shut his mouth. The dwarf seemed familiar. In fact the elf was too. Derfel studied them both and finally when the dwarf mentioned Hammerhand's Horn the connection clicked.
- Aah... so that's why you seemed so familiar to me. You must be Gimli and Legolas. I saw you at Helm's Deep.
The dwarf frowned.
-I can't recall seeing you laddie.
Derfel smiled.
-I wasn't Derfel the Fleet-Flooted then. I was just Derfel the Little Horse-herder. I wasn't yet old enough to fight in the frontline so I was charged to bring the water around. The only thing you probably saw of me was a mop of light hair dashing around. You may recall my brothers however.
His smile faded.
-They weren't true soldiers but they were put in the thick of the fight nonetheless. My two oldest brothers died and Aethelstan was scarred for life.
Derfel's eyes hardened. They weren't longer a merry blue but seemed now more like a pale wintersky.
-I joined the Riders afterwards. I never wanted to be as vulnerable as my brothers were.
Then as abruptly as it had grown cold his expression thawed again.
- As for what I'm doing here. I'm just back from a visit to my sister. After the war she married one the rangers.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby shaggydog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:55 am

The soggy elf caught Derfel looking at him and smiled in a very friendly way. As the rider told his brief tale of the role he played at Helm’s Deep, Legolas cast his mind back to that merry evening. Hmmm . . . he couldn’t exactly recall any fair haired lads running about with water; he’d been a bit preoccupied with skewering orcs. But that was the great thing about humans, they grew into fine men so quickly.

As Derfel finished his account, a sad one by all reckonings, Legolas turned fully to the lad, saying “Sorry I am indeed for your loss. It was a night of many such, and the victory which came with the dawn was bittersweet therefore. All who survived that maelstrom were scarred for life, sadly . . . even those who were left unscathed by any physical signs of wounds.” The elf looked deeply into the young rider’s eyes, now calm, but a moment before they had held the chill of the northern sky in mid-winter. “Time heals all, though, they do say.” Legolas continued. “But perhaps that time must be reckoned in elven years and not the lifetime of man.”

Looking once more at the barkeep, now bustling forward with Gimli’s plate, heaped high with well done roast, the elf sighed deeply, having almost completely given up all hope of a bath. The last thing Derfel had said finally registered, and with some curiosity, Legolas asked the rider, “Your sister married one of the Dunedain? Ah well, they are a doomed race anyway. Best to forego any more inbreeding, if you know what I mean.” He winked at Derfel, whilst tapping his temple gently with one fine white forefinger.

(OOC does anyone know where the innkeeper is? Elerina? )
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Derfel frowns and then, getting the joke, lifts an eyebrow in an ironic manner.
'And I thought that elves had no sense of humor,' he says with a chuckle.
-But you know I should challenge you for that. The Dunedain are now my kin. I could have taken that as an insult.
He laughs when he sees the slightly panicked look on the elfs face. 'Joking,' he says with a grin.
-But I don't think the rangers' line will be much improved by our blood. Horsebreeders have a firm reputation of being quite crazy among our people.... and our family is said to be the worst.
He grins.
-They say it's because most horseherders have at least been kicked once by a horse before they are ten .
-And when were you kicked.
-When I was six... and the younger, the crazier .
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)