The Lonely Road Inn

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:01 pm

“I’ll get you the food and pint, but you do not need to see me as your hero,” the man behind the bar smiled and set the pint down in front of her. She shrugged with a smile and sipped her beer slowly while she waited for her food.

I wonder if I could find a bath around here… she wondered absently, leaning heavily on the bar. She didn’t feel overly weary, but she was acutely aware of the accumulated dust and mud that seemed to coat her clothing and boots. She’d only been granted two fortnights of leave from her unit, and she was trying to make good time. Sleeping on the side of the road, in ditches, anywhere she could catch a wink of sleep without attracting attention. She was twenty years old, almost twenty-one, but by human standards she appeared to be more like sixteen or seventeen; a trait of her heritage. An apparently young girl traveling alone could expect unwanted attention. At least I’ll age well, she thought wryly. Having a warm inn to stay the night at, food, drink, and the idea of a bath were certainly welcome.

"Will either of you ladies be requiring a room here tonight? There are plenty available." A lady’s voice broke her from her musings. She looked overly weary, but Adriana knew it was none of her business.

“A room would be wonderful. How much will that be?” Adriana replied quickly, and then hesitated, “I don’t suppose I’d be able to get a bath in that deal too, would I?”
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 am

She watched Mirien approach the bar. She looked more tired with every hour that passed. She briefly wondered if it was the aftereffects of that pestilence Dairon told her about.

"Will either of you ladies be requiring a room here tonight? There are plenty available?"

Yes, please. A room would be most welcome. She replied and finished off her raspberry drink.

Can I bother you for one more? It is most deliciously sweet and hardly burns on the way down.

She watched silently as the barman prepared the drink for her. She thought he saw a brief flicker between him and the lovely Mirien. It wasn't exactly love, at least not the kind the bards sing about. But a partnership, true dedication, never is. And it was too delicate to be sure she even sensed anything. She might be mistaken.

It wasn't her business anyway.

She was sure the stranger did not ignore her intentionally, but turned slightly away from her a bit to read that most unwelcome letter again. She was quite annoyed, she hoped she could get a few days' sabbatical after this whole dreadful business with the orc camp.

That raspberry drink will just have to substitute a few days hard-deserved rest, she decided. She'll get down to business at hand first thing tomorrow. But night is still young and may hold drink and food and for all she knew, a stray bard may wonder in and contribute to her satisfaction with the inn
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:28 pm

"It will only be a few coppers, and a bath would be included with no charge to you at all! a bath after a long travel is a right to all as far as I am concerned" Mirien smiled. "And I will prepare yours immediately" she promised Silmarie and waited for the other patron's answer before she rushed off.

Dairon poured the drink, "I assumed it would be a favorite as soon as it came in last week...didn't even have to taste it....just the sweet, light look of it." He smiled briefly, "An aquired eye."

Dairon tried to push the concern for Mirien out of his mind, but only succeeded in moving it from his face. The same illness had killed both of her parents without hardly a struggle, however strong Mirien was, it could still take her.

Mirien soon turned and made her way up the seemingly long stairwell to the better rooms. She hadn't remebered the old, oken steps going on for so long, but apparently they did. "Somebody added a step or two...for certain" Mirien muttered between gasps for breath.

When she recovered herself she proceeded to double check the bed makings and made sure the basins were filled with fresh water and a soft, new towel waited for the newest patrons, and left a small amount of wood for the miniature hearths in both rooms. It was the only way to keep those rooms warm on cold nights.

The stairs lengthened again on her return trip, and Mirien prepared another tub for the second young woman. "Your bath is ready for you when you are ready for it" she informed they young woman.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Aye, the drink lifts your spirits somewhat. Not in an intoxicating way, but something closer to vigour. I like it. I hope you will keep on ordering it.

She watched Mirien as she came down the stairs and noticed her shortness of breath. She glanced at the barkeep and thought about how to breach the subject. "Your employee has failing lungs" lacked some style and discretion.
Could she perhaps talk about the wonderful uses of bee pollen and Cat's Claw and hope the barman would guess what she was aiming at? Or offer her a drink of comfrey tea?

She was quite at a loss for anything to say in such situations. She never had much tact and was too blunt for her own good. She hoped the lady of the house had at least been to a healer.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Mirien closed herself into the kitchen for a moment and convinced her lungs to slowly and deliberately take in air. She could not be ill now, not with a business to run, and she was determined to be strong enough to run the place.

Dairon smiled and responded, "Now that I am sure that it is enjoyed I will be sure to have much of it on hand at any time." He set the bottle back in its place after gently wiping the outside to ensure its alluring shine.

Dairon noticed for the first time just how quiet it was in the inn....so many of the customers seemed to desperately wish to keep to themselves. But that was to be expected in these cold parts of the world after all though, wasn't it? Nobody came out into these lands unless they were fleeing, hard wanderers, or had desperate business on the other side of the desolation.

It was a wonder anybody had been so patient as to live in the village that he called home, he hated it with much hatred for much of his life, but when it came down to it, he never could leave, there was too much here that he had to stay for. Like Mirien.

He noticed Silmarie glancing across a letter again and again and wondered just what the contents were that she seemed so....what was the word he was looking for? frustrated? exaserated? not quite...but along that same road, Dairon was very sure.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:38 am

Silmarie sighed and put away the wretched document. Even in her bag its insubstantial weight seemed to burden her. She gulped down the last of her sticky drink and slid off her chair.

I bid thee good night and thank you again for your excellent service.

she said with the utmost sincerity in her voice. She knew many inns that were little more than pigsties and their landlords halfway towards orcs, so a decent inn was always a cherished place. She remembered with a twinge of unease the last inn she staid in. The owner had taken liberties and now sported a scar not unlike hers. No matter how unlovely a girl is, there will always be someone who was drunk or violent enough to consider forcing her.

She smiled again at the proprietess and the barkeep and made her way upstairs.

She was half way to Sleepy Land before her head even touched the pillow. Nevertheless, her right hand clutched a dagger as she turned and slid her arm underneath the lovely ice cold pillow.

Moderator's Note: Per the Forum Guidelines, this Inn is temporarily closed due to > 6 months inactivity.

To re-open, please post a request in The Innkeeper's Office.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Re: The Lonely Road Inn

Postby Deumeawyn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 pm

Deserted inns... times must be rough. But it would do for shelter from this storm. Pushing on the door,it creaked open. Whoever was last here did not bother to lock it. Cailiawen entered and saw the ill state. The roof leaked in several places, and it was generally unkempt. But the tables were upright and only a few stools were knocked over. She came to the bar and lifted herself up to sit on it. Throwing her legs over, she jumped down and looked for something to drink. She found it in a dusty, yet sealed bottle of Dorwinion reserve. She pulled out the cork after some work, and seeing there were no clean glasses or mugs, took a sip from the bottle. It seemed to have weathered the years well. She leaned against the back side of the bar and pondered where she would go next.
Deumeawyn
Petitioner to the Council

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)