OOC: Isles of Ice

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

What lies in the Far North?

Evil, lurking underneath the ice
44%
Good, lurking underneath the ice
No votes
Santa, lurking underneath the ice
11%
Quite possibly more ice, lurking underneath the ice
44%

Total votes : 9

Postby Kunio_kun » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:01 am

No, it will be quite slow paced. How slow, I couldn't say. A post a week will likely be fine. Longer than that is fine too if you don't mind your character being carried along every now and then when the situation warrants. My goal is to wrap this story up before 2009 (ambitious am I not?).

Regardless, I'm not expecting anything other than a leisurely pace. How leisurely, it's tough to guess. If there's anything I've learned about role playing, it's that it's often an inexact art.

Once we get on the island itself, I'm afraid that will be the cutoff point for any new expedition members due to certain story circumstances. On the other hand, even if the RP starts this week, it will likely take another week before our characters actually hit the island.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 am

*glomps Frelga, Hunter, Nin and Sil*

Oh boy, this could really get interesting.

I am so pleased to see you all and hope that this can work for each of you. *gets very happy and excited*

:bow: to Kunio

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, I did my intro post. Not as good as I would have liked, but it's a start.
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Kunio_kun » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 am

Look deep into my eyes.

σ_σ

Robin, my lad, you have neglected the fact I did not start the RP.

Well, what's done is done and it's well done besides. Feel the magnanimity oozing from my pores.

Well, I changed my mind. Post an intro if you like.
Last edited by Kunio_kun on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GwenElf » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:29 am

*Looks deep into Kunio's eyes*

...... are those sigmas? :D Must be a sign that I should be studying for my Greek final! *Hightails it out of the thread, dragging her half-formed character with her*
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 am

Hey CR, I like your first post, it doesn't seem to interfere in any way and you write the character well.

Master Kunio, thank you for the opportunity to join your RP, but at this time for various reasons, I will now bow out. I wish you success.

CR, I will be speaking with you at another time and we shall do fun things.

:hihi: wavies to Sil, Frelga and Hunter.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Kunio_kun » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:20 am

Yes, I thought it was a nice post as well. Reminds me of the mature Pippin in Gondor, though honestly, I tend to just lump him in with Merry until they're interchangeable. A shame to see you go rwhen. I get the feeling there wouldn't have been many interested parties if you hadn't shown up.

Well, we'll see how this goes.

Took me forever to find those sigmas...

If anyone would like to post an intro as well, go ahead. I've just up and changed my mind.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Oh, I'm sorry if I jumped the gun. I'm glad you like the post, though. I hope it didn't wreck anything. I just wanted to get some character development without doing anything yet as far as the RP goes.

And Rhwen, I hope you reconsider. It would be a lot bleaker without you. :(
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Frelga » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Just a run-by to say I'm working on the bio. It needs a bit of time to germinate. I won't have Net at work for a while, so I may be scarce(r), but I'm in, I'm still in.

Rwhen, really, you won't play? :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: I was looking forward to RPing with you, finally.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Kunio_kun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 am

Good to hear. Well, I'm just going to sit back and play the waiting game. Perhaps you can keep our hobbit company once your profile's all done.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 am

~

The alias of Angus Rathburn was created a couple of years ago for a RP that quietly fizzled and died. Since I already had this alias, I decided to take his name and rework his character sketch for this Rp. I'll be using the alias when I start posting. Hope this works for you Kunio. :)

USERNAME:Hunter
NAME: Angus Rathburn
RACE: Human

APPEARANCE: Angus is a pretty average, non-descript guy. Average height, weight etc. I much prefer describing any characters I write within the story, so this is just the basic stuff. Black hair (worn short) streaked with a few strands of grey, dark brown eyes. As far as clothing and attire goes, well… this is set 200 hundred years after the War of the Ring…has much changed? Not much I’m guessing so I’ll stick with the attire I’m familiar with, worn boots, warm woolen cloak etc.

HISTORY:
Since Angus is basically a new creation, I’ll fill in more of his history as this story progresses. This much is set in my mind though: Angus is from the northern reaches of ME (Framsburg to be exact, a settlement on the eastern side of the Misty’s in the angle created where the Misty’s join the Grey Mountains. It is marked on a map in The Atlas of Middle Earth by Fonstad). In the time during the War of the Rings, his great grandfather (whom he is named for) was one of the leaders of a band of thieves and cutthroats who roamed the area. Since then, his family moved on to other more respectable occupations. His father is a respected merchant, trading in goods from both the northern and southern reaches of Middle Earth. Angus has traveled extensively throughout the northern climes in relation to the various business ventures of his father.

SUMMARY:
Personality…hmm pretty hard to say right now, characters grow and change within a story, but for a starting point I’d describe Angus as quiet, more than he seems once the surface is scratched. He is knowledgeable about the trading business, though he is not the bookish or merchant type, he is more a throwback to his ancestor. He is friendly, though not overly so and keeps pretty much to himself. He has joined the expedition at the request of his father, Burle Rathburn. The elder Rathburn was one of the first to report ships missing, (he has lost two so far) and sent a request (more of a demand) through the lines that landed on Duin’s desk.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Kunio_kun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Excellent. I too have an easier time describing the character in-story, though profiles certainly come in handy as quick reference.

I'm guessing stuff changes in 200 years, but not all that much, especially in Middle Earth.

Well, post an intro whenever you like if you're so inclined.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:01 pm

~

Thanks Kunio, but I may play the waiting game (like you) a bit longer and wait until a few more sketches have been added before I post to the story line…besides, I have a question. The Isles of Ice… are they your name for actual places on a map or are they totally from your imagination? I use Fonstad’s maps when I need a reference for places in Middle Earth when I write and also use a few maps I’ve gleaned from different places on the net and was wondering if any of the landforms on any of them are what you have in mind for a location for where the expedition is heading.

Rwhen! (love that little waving smilie ) :hihi:

In my haste earlier to post my character sketch, I didn’t have time to read all the previous posts. Darn it, you’re not going to continue here! I had so looked forward to writing with you. Perhaps another chance will come; in the meantime I see you’ve started a Rp lite and I’ll keep an eye on it.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:41 am

It Isles of Ice are made up by Kunio, somewhere in the Far North of Middle-earth near the Bay of Forochel.

Or so says his first post.

Alllllmost done with exams; I just have to turn a paper in (after I finish it... :whistle: ) and I'll be set!
Last edited by GwenElf on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Kunio_kun » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 am

Just as Gwen says.

I haven't given it too much thought but I imagine they are some distance outside the mouth of the bay and the Cape of Forochel. Imagine three dots somewhere around that area.

Perhaps I will have a spark of ambition and make a map. Perhaps pigs will fly one day, but stranger things have been known to happen.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hunter » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:39 am

~

Thanks GwenElf and Kunio, :)

I realize the name Isles of Ice are imaginary, but I was curious if Kunio had picked an actual group of islands from a map and given them a name. Below is a link to a map I found that includes the northern portion of Middle-earth. I haven’t checked out all the names yet to see if they are accurate, but I’ve used this one (and Fonstad’s) to get my bearings when I Rp.

This is the link to a website of various maps.
http://www.ulujain.org/misc/maps.shtml

I like this map.
http://www.ulujain.org/album/maps/nwmiddleearth.jpg

As you can see, there are a lot of islands in the northern seas. :) I haven't checked yet to see if all the places names are accurate, but some of them are.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:56 am

Wheeeew! That is a great map, Hunter! Thanks much for posting!! *bookmarks* Perhaps the Isles of Ice lead to the White Sea?

Kunio, in lieu of drawing a map, you could always download that one and then draw on it in Paint or Photoshop. Then we could trace our route and figure out where we're going, etc. Or I could do it, as the resident cartographer. ;)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Kunio_kun » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:18 am

Nice, I haven't seen a map that goes that far north. Those islands are further north and west than the where I imagined the Isles of Ice to be though. But yeah, I suppose I could just edit it to make it so.

That looks to be a non-canon map as far the north is concerned, but it must be pretty intriguing for roleplaying.

A quick copy + paste effort

We're heading towards the south-most island.
Last edited by Kunio_kun on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Rodia » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:41 am

Confound it all, this sounds like so much fun. But I can't commit- unless this is meant to be very fast paced and you don't mind it if my character disappears sometime around July...
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:33 am

Rodia wrote:Confound it all, this sounds like so much fun. But I can't commit- unless this is meant to be very fast paced and you don't mind it if my character disappears sometime around July...

Your character can be the first victim of Rudolph, or whatever evil Kunio cooked up. :D To be rescued miraculously when you get back. :P
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Rodia » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:15 pm

Because you're not sick of me at all.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Varno Morhaust's bio

Postby Frelga » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Can't understand it myself. :P

And here's the promised bio. It could use more work, but it'd give my illustrious co-writers and esteemed thread-starter a sufficient idea of where the character is starting. Where he will end up, I cannot tell.

Varno Morhaust

USERNAME: Frelga
NAME: Varno Morhaust (Black Bed. His parents weren't great at Sindarin. Anyway, it's time someone came up with a character whose name begins with Mor and who is not evil.)
RACE: Mortal man, hailing from South Gondor, later of Minas Tirith

APPEARANCE: Just under 6 feet, medium build. Black, curly hair held back by a leather string, brown eyes, prominent nose. General effect is that of a slightly exotic, pleasantly masculine look. Varno dresses in practical clothes, green wool and leather. He wears a golden hoop earring in his right ear in memory of his father.

HISTORY: Varno comes from South Gondor, with a dollop of Umbar blood via his father, a sailor on a perfectly honest merchant vessel and in no way a smuggler. After the sailor was lost at sea, his widow and son moved in with their Minas Tirith relatives.

Varno is engaged in government-sponsored research aimed at preserving knowledge and technology now that the Elves have all but left the shores of Middle-earth. His specialty is steel, or more specifically, swords. Varno is considered a young but promising craftsman. He is often sent to travel all around the Reunited Kingdom and abroad, collecting specimens and learning more from secretive masters than they intend to show him.

Varno is absorbed in his studies and thinks a truly fascinating conversation must explore such topics as the relative properties of salt brine and oil for quenching. He would have the makings of a studious recluse, except for his natural affable good temper and his interest in people as well as their weapon. Since his studies require him to work with metal as well as scrolls, Varno acquired a muscular physique and decent practical experience with his favorite subject. That is, he can hold his own with a sword against a reasonably trained opponent. When an opponent is trained better than is reasonable, Varno relies on help of his friend, fellow enthusiast, and frequent tester, a dwarf nicknamed Rivet. Or possibly Rivette. You never know, with dwarves.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Hunter » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:03 am

~

I know it probably is a non cannon map, but it’s the only one I’ve been able to find so far that depicts anything in the far north. Glad we have a place to go with the name, makes it easier (for me at least), kinda like putting a name to a face. :)

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Kunio_kun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:13 am

A name to a face.... yessssss..... I haven't given any individual name to the island we're visiting. Well, perhaps our resident cartographer will christen it in-story. Tol Eeeeeeeevil, or some such.

Perhaps he was named after the Bed of the Underworld, second in infamy only to Grond. But excellent, our intrepid researcher and his dwarf will find much to study... much to their chagrin. ....no, that wasn't quite the word, but it will have to do for now. Feel free to post an intro anytime, Frelga.

While I'm sure the RP can withstand a disappearance, fast-paced it is not, Rodia. It will probably take me another week or two to get a full complement of recruits, nevermind when we start in earnest.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Rodia » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:48 am

Yeah...I'd better not get involved. I mean it sounds right up my alley, I have this thing about ships and seas and expeditions towards the unknown, but sometimes you just gotta admit, you can't eat seven banana sundaes at once.

Good luck with Tol Eeeeeevil :P I'll be watching...if you're not done by the time I come back maybe I'll try to squeeze in . :twisted:
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 am

Rodia wrote:...but sometimes you just gotta admit, you can't eat seven banana sundaes at once.

:shock: You can't? ... oh dear, that explains so much.

Tol Eeeeeevil! :rofl: Love it!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:24 pm

*Posts after self*

My bio!

Username: GwenElf
Name: Falastor Galathil, Fal for short
Race: Man

Appearance: About 5'9" and average build; he does a lot of travelling so he's in relatively good shape. Short(ish), dirty blonde, wavy hair; hazel eyes and tan skin. He could easily be lost in a crowd as there's nothing terribly distinct about him, except for the fact that he's always carrying (and dropping) way too much stuff.

History: Fal was abandoned as an infant and picked up by a group of traveling performers who raised and trained him. Unfortunately, all the training in the world could not make up for his inherent lack of musical and theatrical talent, and more often than not he ran off during performances to explore and chat with the locals. After a while he started collecting maps of the surrounding area from each town they visited and put them together to form a more detailed whole to replace the seriously deficient version troupe was carrying, which eventually resulted in his becoming the Unofficial Troupe Route Planner. He finally left the group after promising never to sing in public again and found his way to Minas Tirith, where he worked his way into a job as a cartographer for the government, who assigned him to this expedition.

Personality: Fal talks a lot, and to anyone who will listen, and about any subject that arises, even if he knows nothing about it. He understands that not everyone's interested in cartography and tries not to talk about it too much, but when the conversation lags, he tends to revert to alidades and coordinates. Having spent so much time around theatre people, he's known to say outlandish things that sometimes come off as insults when really he's just joking around.
Fal thinks he knows Sindarin and Dwarvish, but in fact he does not; he understands them very well, but when it comes to forming coherent sentences of his own, he's not exactly the guy you want as your communicator. This problem causes a lot of confusion, hilarity, and sometimes trouble. Bright as he is, he's never managed to figure out that it's his inability to speak the languages that's gotten him into tight spots.

Misc: Along with rolls and rolls of parchment and other cartography tools, he also carries a well-used bo-staff with which he defends himself when necessary. He's not a master with it, but he can hold his own.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Kunio_kun » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:26 pm

And thus we are five. I doubt I'll have any surprise recruits anytime soon, and so, I declare this roleplay....

OPEN...
OPEN...
OPEN...
OPEN...

With a most impressive reverb as accompaniment. Hear the lonely echoes haunt the barren stone and ice. Feel the arctic wind that chills your veins. Look out and gaze at the flat, empty wasteland all around you, a silent and frozen grave.

I will be posting... tomorrow. Possibly.

And tomorrow is today, my oh my.

So, essentially we are going to row ashore in a small boat. However, the weather will quite soon turn vicious and force certain circumstances to occur.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GwenElf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Posted! I hope it's all right and that I haven't disembarked us too quickly.

At the end, I figured the weather could either be getting vicious, or it could just be a particularly large wave. Up to the next poster to decide.

Frelga, I included Rivet in my post, assuming that he'd be along. Lemme know if it's otherwise.
Last edited by GwenElf on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Great post, Sil! I have been quite busy lately, so I'll get a post in this weekend when I have a lot more time. Kind of tired right now.
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)