Darkness Reigns: The Resistance OOC

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby gothicus » Fri May 09, 2008 8:12 am

Yeh, i figured you'd say something like that. Its just a rough character that i've had in my mind for a while. You are definitly right about Mandos. I'll have a look at the other thread though.
Cheers for the imput and for actually bothing to read the bio. Tah! XX
gothicus
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Kunio_kun » Fri May 09, 2008 2:34 pm

I may have went a bit overboard, but I'll edit what's needed. Basically, Dol Guldur. I haven't stuck us on a course there if you don't want to go, it's more of a suggestion. I think it would make for a solid adventure.
Kunio_kun
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri May 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Good post, Kunio. I'll have to think up something when my muse isn't tired like it is right now. I'll have to think of some way about Dol Guldur. It's a far more dangerous foray and as you said in the post may attract the attention of the Eye. Then, we'll all be hard put to it.

I'll think about something and respond later. Right now, my muse is tired. :zzz:
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Claymore » Wed May 28, 2008 12:50 am

Okay when writing this post I suddenly realized that this really started to sound like ents. :D
I guess fangorn is gone now but I recall a certain Ent-song where Treebeard sang that when 'Winter came' (which obviously happened) the ents would rejoing with the entwives. Maybe we could do something with that....
Okay okay it's vague I know. I have a lot of ideas floating around right now and not all are good. This one seemed interesting.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed May 28, 2008 3:50 am

That sounds good, Claymore. I had forgotten all about the Ents, and if any remained. That could be an interesting development indeed. I'll leave that open and see if it goes. Sorry I've been away for so long. I forgot about this thread. Like Butterbur, one thing drives out another in my mind. I'll try to do something soon here.
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby the mouth of sauron » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:13 am

Hi Cock-Robin and all....

Not that I am completely familiar with LOTRs and just as a casual passer by who was grabed by the subject of the tread and after reading your plot and direction... Has taken a slight interest in the RP. And it is a good one with huge potential!

But I can not help but try and recal some where with the meeting and discorse between Gandalf and The Mouth of Sauron.... that MOS was to be given Orthance? (Please forgive my spelling)

Having said that... it is your RP and as I said a good one at that... All the best people. I will try to keep an eye on this one, and two if I can.

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi, MOS! Glad to hear from you. This RP has been dead for a while, mostly my fault, and I might try to revive it. As for the Mouth of Sauron taking Orthanc, you're probably right, but then, when has Sauron ever kept his promises? :P :eye: :D But it's an idea if I ever get this started again.

Here comes the LOTR

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby the mouth of sauron » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:35 am

Sorry to hear that the thread has been dead for awhile. I do hope that it picks up again.

Yes and your right about Sauron of course..... He is always ripping me off ;)

You have a solid plot and I really like it.... There are some really good RPers around that I am sure would be great additions to this RP. If time and other things permitted I would even have jumped at the chance to join in once upon a time.

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:17 pm

This plot is intriguing. I'll have to keep an eye on it in hopes that it will be revived!
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Arenial » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm

I'd also like to join in if this were to be revived. I was thinking of bringing down a small company of elves from the Grey Havens.
Arenial
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Wow! So many interested. It is motivating me to start up this dead thread again, like I started up my dead car about a month ago. Any who wants to, go ahead and start, and Alatar, Pallando and Meneldor will follow.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Claymore » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:55 pm

I'm still there.
Since I had been up last time I figured I should wait.
I've also been very busy with my studies but I'm willing and waiting to kick around :D
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:12 pm

OK. I've just done a post to get us started again. And who knows? Maybe somebody would come to play Radagast, if he is still around somewhere. That would really give hope to our Blue Wizards.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Claymore » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:38 pm

okay posted.
I hope Morwë's plan was clear enough since I've seriously lacked sleep this last week.
Basically he's using the old divide and conquer tactic :D
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 pm

A real good post, Claymore. I'll be thinking of a reply. And I've got a feeling that Radagast may be found imprisoned in Dol Guldur. I'm not going to play him if he is, but maybe some others here who are interested could do so.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Well, I decided to bump this dead thread one more time to see if anybody is still interested. How about it? :)

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:06 pm

If you'll get this thing going again, I might be interested. I've got a character idea I'm working on, maybe bring those Rangers into play.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:32 am

Wonderful! I hope to get it going again soon.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby earendil81 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, when this started I was in no place to write. I have been reading though.
But if you'll allow me I have a question that I had in mind the first time I read your intro ;). Sam and Frodo fell in Bree which means that Boromir would have been on his journey to Rivendell.

Would it fit in your narrative that as Gondor fell he would have survived or not?? Just having some ideas that require approval and I would not want to bring in something that you would not want ;) ;)
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi, Eari! That would be up to you. If you would want Boromir as a survivor of Gondor, he would be yours. You'd just have to do a convincing backstory to him and how he survived.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby earendil81 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:43 pm

You know what I'll write this down and send it to you by PM. That way you can tell me if it is strong enough a back story ;).

I will certainly bring in Eari in the midst as well, for that is her time ;).

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Sounds good. I'll wait for it. :)

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby earendil81 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Cock-Robin wrote:Sounds good. I'll wait for it. :)

PM is sent.

Now I shall wait like a little girl expecting a mark for a test at school :lol: :lol:...
Na, just hope it works. I know Eari can fit in the storyline, I thought it'd be interesting to see what Boromir could become if faced with the power of the Ring and the fact that it has destroyed his father, brother and city.

I also have a thought for poor Eowyn... :roll: ;)

Edit: now that I have the ok from CR, here is what I sent. Hope you guys can make sense of it ;)

From the appendixes we know that
1) Osgiliath was attacked on June 20, 3018 and that is when the eastern shore is lost to Sauron's army.
2) On July 4th, 3018 Boromir sets out from Minas Tirith.
3) July 10, 3018, Gandalf is imprisoned in Orthanc.

Now, from the beginning that CR gave us, it is Gandalf's imprisonement in Orthanc that led to the death of the hobbits. So we can think that Boromir set out for Rivendell as he was set to in the original work.
We also know from the book that Boromir went on a 110 day journey during which he lost his horse - around Tharbad. And then he had to figure out by himself where Rivendell was.

From Tharbad to Rivendell, by the Greyflood, it is approximately 300 miles as the eagle flies, so let's say 360 miles by foot; now Boromir is a soldier and he can move swiftly and discreetly but he would have needed at least 25 days to go from Tharbad to Rivendell at a pace of 15 miles a day in the wild, which could mean he arrived in Tharbad mid-September, by which time Frodo and Sam would have died form your opening information.

Now comes the question:
Would Boromir, heir to Gondor, not return to Minas Tirith once he heard the war was on? He certainly would, being the warrior he is and being close to his brother as he was. He also would know that he might be too late.

This is where Eari will come into the picture; she knows him and he knows her - albeit by another name. She will convince him not to return and instead try and create some resistance within Eriador.

Now I would assume that once Rivendell and Lorien were destroyed and Gandalf being in Barad Dur, Sauron will have wanted to go to destroy the havens. We know from history that Cirdan is always a step ahead (plus I assume Elrond would have sent his daughter away for that matter, not a place for a Lady a war). He may have moved northwards again from Mithlond to West of the Ered Luin.
We know there is not much there, but it would be a nice place - although far removed - to try and have something happening.
Not much can work since they have close to no help there, and I would imagine that one of the Nazgul might have reclaimed Angmar, but that would be why Boromir and Eari are trying to move closer to Mirkwood to find info and help.

That will give us
1) a small - maybe even tiny - group of elves left West of the Blue Mountains, where the surviving Rangers might have appeared.
2) two pockets of resistance unable to connect for 5 years, one probably diminished as the years have gone by, but it also represents a possibility for those courageous hobbits or men in Eriador to try and escape there.

I'll be up and posting Eari's bio soon ;)

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby earendil81 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Ok, so a very quick bio of Eari, as I expect Boromir does not need introducing. I will try to write him as Tolkien had thought him out, although he might have moved closer to movie Boromir not yet being tempted by the Ring ;) ;)...

Now about that earendil character.

Name: goes by Eärendil or Eari.
I shall reveal her real name at some point in the story but it will only mean something to very few Rangers that are left and maybe to the Blue Wizards ;).

Age: at this point in time, for the purpose of the story, Eari is 40 years old.

Appearance: well it is hard for people who don't know to determine whether Eari is woman or a man. If we base ourselves on Law and Customs of the Elves, it seems that until they bear a child, elf-women would look rather androgynous. So is the case of Eari. She stands tall at 5'11" and has brown hair with iris blue eyes.
She holds two swords: one that never leaves its scabbard, one elven blade that belonged to her father, and a small dagger that would be found in her knee-high boot.

Bio: Eari is a child of Numenore and the Elves. Her mother was of the Dunedain in the North and her father an elf from Lorien who had travelled to Imladris as a guard to Arwen and stayed.

Her father was killed during an errand with the sons of Elrond against the orcs and her mother died in childbirth so she was raised by her aunt in Halbarad's house (if he is still alive he is like a brother to her and one of the few who knows her real name) until she was ten. Then she was brought to Lorien to be raised in the ways of the elves.
She spent 10 years there and then rode back to Rhudaur where she worked with the Rangers for a while. After her mentor's departure to the Undying Lands she flees to Gondor where she served under the name of Hallhir. When it is discovered she is a woman and Denethor refuses to send her again in the midst of battle she returns to Lorien.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Eari, that sounds like you may have known my character as a child. She's now a young woman in her early twenties and has become an unlikely but good leader of the last band of rangers.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm

PatriotBlade wrote:Eari, that sounds like you may have known my character as a child. She's now a young woman in her early twenties and has become an unlikely but good leader of the last band of rangers.

Maybe... who knows?

Ok, I am sorry about the major huge post but it looks like I've been inspired. I figured I could set it when Meneldor was gone with Morwe ;). I re-read the story before I wrote the second part earlier today (this is terrible... I should be working at work but hey :P ;))

Hope it works for you guys for an entrance ;)

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Eari, that was an AWESOME post! And don't worry about it being a BAP, it's just what was needed to get this thread started again.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:29 pm

I am working on my character profile and introductory post, as well as TWO poems for the upcoming Bard's Festival. I'll hopefully be ready by next weekend.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Claymore » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Jeesh I'm away for a while and see what happens :D
The ants are itching here. Earendil expect a VERY happy reaction when Eari meets Morwë. He thought the Celin Faer where the only elves left.
By the way if we are starting this up again let's do it good shall we?:twisted: I have ideas for two new character who can provide for some interesting action if you want. Cock-Robin you actually know one of them since it will be the alternate version of Djazi. The other will be Baran, Djazi's friend who died in the other version, but survived here. I always wanted to play him :twisted: . I have to work out their alternate bio's but this will be the essence.
Baran is a Gondorian with some Rohirrim blood who was a Captain years before the war. He was captured by Haradrim during a raid and in the end was sold as a gladiator. During his years as a gladiator he met Djazi who was in the same position as he was and they formed an unlikely but strong friendship. Djazi is from a tribe so far south that they never came under the Dark Lord's influence and he worships Oromë whom he simply call the Hunter. Before the War of the Ring his tribe was completely massacred and he is now the only one left. The two escaped during the massive festivities after Sauron's victory and travelled north only to find smoking ruins. They wandered during the five years afterwards setting up a small ressistance in the Ered Nimrais. They have now left the ressistance in the capable hands of their lieutenants and have come north to investigate the rumors of the ressistance near Mirkwood. They will not stay permanently there, but will rather provide a bigger scale on which we can work on. Instead of only a ressistance in Mirkwood we will also now have one in what once was Gondor, giving us the possibility to branch out :D.

I hope I still make sense here. Anyway what do you guys think?
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm really touched to see this thread coming to life around me. I say, let's go for it! We'll all have a very interesting time indeed. Great bio, Claymore, and I can't wait for yours, PB.

Here comes the LOTR

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)