The Expected Party!!

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: The Expected Party!!

Postby GwenElf » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Falastor blinked as one of the company's members -- Daniel, was it? -- tore past him, riding so close and so quickly that the breeze he created caught the paper from Falastor's hands and carried it away across the field. Before the cartographer could even shout in surprise, another member of the company, the bells on her garment jingling merrily, leapt upon it, snatched it up, and cartwheeled back to Falastor, offering him the amazingly unwrinkled paper with a flourish.

"Ta da!" she exclaimed. "Yet another use for my talents!"

He accepted the offering enthusiastically and tucked it back into his bag. "Most certainly! A shame it doesn't work the other way around, though." At her quizzical look, he added, "Talent with papers doesn't give one talent at gymnastics. Believe me, I've had a bit too much experience trying. My limbs might not forgive me if I attempted any more acrobatics."

She grinned. "Not everyone is meant to tumble, I'm afraid."

"You certainly got all of my tumbling ability," said a voice. Falastor turned to see the young man who had ridden by earlier -- no, on second thought, it wasn't the same man, just one who looked similar, and who was now looking down on them from atop his horse.

"Oh, I don't know about that," the brightly-dressed woman said, smirking up at him. "I seem to recall you being rather flexible, master sword-dancer."

"Sword-dancer?" Falastor turned eagerly to face the man, who had turned about six shades of mortified and was distracting himself by paying especial attention to dismounting. "This company is like my childhood all over again! You aren't actually a troop of actors, are you? Realistically you would need a great deal more by way of supplies, of course, to put on a proper show, but perhaps you're employing a new style? Improvisation with minimal props, maybe? I shouldn't be this excited, really, given how dreadful I was at all of that, but it would be quite excellent to relieve those years, just for a bit before I return to Minas Tirith to make my report. No acting for me, mind you. I never could sustain a role long enough to be convincing. And as I was saying, my acrobatics were awful as well."

He paused for a breath and realized that not only were the woman and man staring, but several other members of the company had now gathered around -- the woman called Fiona and a young girl shyly peering at him from behind Fiona.

"I don't know, I'd say you do the rambling academic role brilliantly," said the dark-haired man, smiling crookedly.

"Aramir!" Fiona frowned at him, but Falastor laughed loudly.

"No, no, he's absolutely right. I became organizer and map-maker once my family realized I was useless on the stage. And by the way," he added, turning to face the woman with the jingling clothes. "It is the Malcontent Dwarf. We produced that one once. Brilliant story, ridiculous costumes, as I recall, but perhaps that was just an artistic decision on Shala's part. She always did like feathers a bit too much. I'm not familiar with The Chaste and Noble Knight, though."

She elbowed Aramir in the ribs. "We've got an impromptu version playing right now, I believe." Aramir rolled his eyes. "I'm Geli, by the way," she continued, extending her hand. "Geli the Magnificent!"

"Unless it's Tuesday," chorused Fiona and Aramir.

Falastor frowned as he shook Geli's hand. "Why, what happens on Tuesday?"

"She browbeats us with a thesaurus."
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26 pm

(I've been working on this for a few days and it's not exactly as I wanted it but here's post #5,000)

They had eventually stopped for the night. Daniel was still brooding from Aramir’s comment earlier and yet casting quick glances at Katherine while no one was watching – or so he thought. The young woman had made good on her word and was drinking with Fiona… It was time. Laesha was eagerly listening to the stories their new member told; interestingly the young girl had less in common with her ‘grandma’ than Katherine. He spared a moment to consider; both afraid that the past might catch up with them and while trying to deny it even existed letting it rule their lives. It was time indeed. Overdue even. He stood and walked past the child he wanted to speak with.

“Aramir, walk with me.” He whispered for the young man only to hear. They would notice but he cared not. Whether or not he wanted to Aramir stepped up and followed.
Whatever he expected of him Aramir did not say a word; there was fear in him to, though not as obvious as Katherine’s. What secret he held close it terrified him that people should discover it. His tone when challenged before had revealed as much… It might be one reason – if not conscious – of his alliance with Katherine against Daniel. For a long moment they walked far enough from the camp that none might hear yet close enough that he would catch anything untoward happening – like another fight between Kitty and Daniel that no one would be able to stop.

He looked up to the skies; that always allowed him a moment of serenity… Elbereth had been kind tonight and Earendil was sailing Vingilot through its seas… bright and clear as it usually was.
“Have you trusted her with your secret yet?” He finally asked turning to the young man. The fear was undoubtedly there: in the tension of his shoulders as well as in the clenched fingers causing his knuckles to whiten. Aramir might have wanted to run away but even if he did he must be aware that since they were travelling with the same group there would be no avoiding the old elf. Eilathen had no intention of scaring him away though. “I do not know it and even if I did I would not reveal it,” he volunteered, “I merely point out the young Katherine has given you her trust, maybe more.” He raised a finger. It was not the time to talk yet. “As you have found that Daniel’s feelings may be more than what he has admitted, hers also are more. Have a care with it.” He looked away once more. “Trying to be strong all the time might break her. They said it was what befell Boromir of Gondor; a good but proud man unwilling to admit a weakness until it was too late and it consumed him.”

Both Aramir and Katherine risked the same regardless of why. One had to bend and yield before one broke; he knew. He would not tell of Laesha's grandmother to this man, not yet but he had seen men and women alike die or try to because the past became too much to bear. Strength took different shapes.
“Ask yourself Aramir. Do you truly believe you should help Katherine defy Daniel at every turn? Or do you find it easier to let her deny her past and remain afraid of it as you are of yours?”

He had not intended to be this blunt… but it was the truth; and if he guessed right Aramir’s fear lay in who he was. He would not push that question; now the one threatening to break under the pressure was the woman. And when she did break, it would have dire consequences on everyone surrounding her.
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby siddharth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:11 am

A pair of curious blue eyes were gazing at him.
Lari was too dazed and confused to make out the face to which those eyes belonged to.
The light was too much for his now weakened eyes, as he tried to discern the shape of the figure standing in front of him.

"Welcome to my humble abode, Sidhlarion"

Lari's eyes widened upon hearing his name.

That voice....where have I heard that before?

He cupped his head between his hands and rubbed his eyes violently.

The figure was saying something...

The voice was unclear to Lari as he finally managed to look upon the figure in better light.

It was an old man. He was cloaked in brown robes and he stood there, bending upon his wooden staff.
The bushy well-formed eyebrows above his blue eyes and the thick beard covered his wrinkled face. And those eyes were simple and profound, burdened with great wisdom of many ages unknown, and yet as inquisitive as a child's.

"Who did you say you were? And where am I? Apologies sire, but -"

"You've had a rough time, I see. You have no fear here, lad. I am Radagast the Brown. We have met before I believe."

"Radagast!" Lari stood up and hit his head on the branch above yet again.

"Sit now and rest. The forest of Fangorn is not for the weak-hearted." He motioned him to sit as he went to the table and started to shake up some things. " I am surprised Treebeard let you blunder into the Huorn woods though. At least Quickbeam was there to pull you out. Many go among the Huorns and never return. You are fortunate indeed. He's the one who brought you to me."

"Treebeard? Quickbeam?" Lari scratched his head. "Did I really meet the Ents?"

"Not really, no. You were fast asleep. Enchanted sleep in fact. Here" he handed Lari a cup of boiling black broth. "Drink this. It'll make you feel better."
Lari gulped down the liquid in a go and soon enough he felt the heat rising in his body. A sudden spurt of energy.

"I am quite sure there must be a tale behind all of this. How a royal vagabond who fled my tutelage years ago comes to me again, even if unexpectedly so. But all in good time. Rest now." He was about to leave when he turned again. "Oh yes, your horse. She's in my care too." He gave a subtle wink and bowed out of the cottage.

Lari fell back on his bed, slowly passing on into the land of memories, searching for that fateful day when a young Elvish boy lost in the woods came across a wounded hermit on the borders of Eryn Lasgalen ...
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:56 pm

The flames cackled as they moved over the grass and shrubs and leaves of trees. Grey smoke arose high into the sky,shrouding the forest in a thicket of smog. Fire, red fire was everywhere he could see, merciless giant flames stomping on the helpless flora of the woods. Ash. Ash and dust remained where stood tall trees not even half a day ago.

Haefa kept running. She was young, but steadfast and one of the cleverest beasts he had ever met. She rode on, unperturbed by the calamity around her and intelligently finding gaps through the walls of flame, making an escape route.

Lari wiped his brow and looked up towards the sky, no longer blue now. The sun hidden somewhere behind the clouds of smoke.
It all had happened so quickly, in a flash that he had no time to think for the consequences. He had barely escaped the clutches of those guards. Everything was completely unlooked for.
The King's cousin was found dead two days ago. Poisoned, it was assumed. All those friendly advances from Raegorm, his half-brother, now it all made sense. Raegorm had never accepted him as one of the Elven-kind, for he was only a half-elf. Sidhlarion Valenar of the Woodland Realm, son of Roheryn, shieldmaiden of Rohan.

Lari bit his lip. He had foolishly walked into the trap. The clues, the evidence were all there set up and expertly planned to make him the culprit. He had always been the target. To what extent, he never guessed.

"What do I do?" He had said to himself when Raegorm presented the final and perfect evidence in front of the council.

"What Raegorm wants me to. Become a fugitive." He had found himself replying to his question.
He remembered making a dash for his favorite tree where he kept all his belongings. He was always the swift one, sleek as a lizard. And as if to mock his unwitting behavior, the storm had began. Winds, rain and thunder.
He had taken only his bow, his quiver and his royal Mithril sword Thrond before jumping up on Haefa. He glanced one final time towards his father's desperate eyes. And fled.

------------

I did the right thing, Lari consoled himself.
He knew Kinslaying was the most hated of crimes among Elves. There had never been a kinslaying, not one since the dark First age. He wondered if it was actually Raegorm who had committed it, only to make him leave. Or did he kill him first and only then decided to ensnare him as well?

They would have put me to death, had I stayed there.There was no going back now. Now I am only a convict, a murderer among my own people, in my own home.

His eyes were become moist. He thought of his father, still back there. He would be safe, he thought, but scorned by the others. Including the King. His mother had returned to Edoras long before, when the unrest had only begun among the Woodelves, regarding her right to live in Greenwood. She was safe.

Haefa sped on throughout the day, with only a few rests in between. For the night, they found a cave and decided to camp there.

Completely drenched as he was, he decided to not light a fire to remain undercover.
He had no food, no fire to warm himself. Neither did the continuous rain, shrieking thunder and howling winds help him in that perilous night-storm. The thought of the forest-fire brought down his spirit lower, for the trees, the life, the creatures in the forest. They were his only love. And the memories of the doomed morn was as fresh as if they happened only a moment ago.

-------

Lari had dozed off while pondering all these things when a muffled moan awoke him. Within a moment he was up on his legs with Thrond in his hand. But seeing Haefa calm, his perplexion and courage grew.

"Who is there?" Lari's voice echoed off the walls. And in response came a set of illegible echoes. They were humane; and filled with pain, it seemed to Lari.
Very cautiously he took measured steps forward and went deeper into the cave with Haefa following just behind.

"I would appreciate some help, my lad" he finally caught the meaning of the painful echoes. Lari could not see well in the dark and was confused. He moved not.
The showers continued outside, as mighty as an avalanche. And suddenly with a cold gust of air, struck a flash of thunder splitting the ground in two, it would seem. But Lari had seen the stranger within that moment. An old man he was, and stuck under a huge boulder.
Lari did not hesitate now. Enemy or not, true or fake; the person appeared to be in his need. With some help from Haefa he managed to push away the boulder, making Thrond acting as a lever.
He saw that the man was very badly wounded. Both of his legs seem to be broken and he appeared to have endured a significant amount of blood loss.
He lit the fire and placed the old man beside it. He had no skills at healing at all, Lari. But he tore his cloth and wrapped it around the wound.

"How far do you live from here, old man?"
"Some distance. Do not bother to heal me. Just get me to my cottage, I have my instruments." the man replied in a frail voice.
"Not a chance in this storm I'm afraid. Let us hope this passes soon." Lari paused."What on earth were you doing all alone inside the cave?"
"Scrounging."the man replied."I know a certain kind of moss grows inside and along the walls of this cave. I was just scraping one off the wall, engrossed in the task, when that fell boulder smote me. Eregorm urgently needs that moss."
"Eregorm?"
"A rodent friend." the old man smiled.
"A rodent friend?" Lari was even more confused.
"Of course dear lad. For I am Radagast the Brown,tamer of beasts. Ah, since the rain has stopped finally. Let us hurry."
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)