The Expected Party!!

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Re: The Expected Party!!

Postby Tygarya » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Kitty woke just as the scene was turning the dark grey of approaching light. Her head still slightly groggy from the sedative Fiona had given her, Kitty shook her head to try and clear the cobwebs. She looked down at her injured hand and balled it into a fist, grimacing with the pain. Standing up she made her way to the tent flap and drew it open. Kitty looked down and almost kicked the sleeping form of Daniel who was curled up in his bed roll right outside the tent’s opening. Kitty decided she didn’t actually want to wake Daniel up – as much as he deserved to be kicked in the ribs - so she lightly sprang over him, checked all the sleeping bodies in a glance and made her way down to the small creek that was their camp water supply. Kitty unwrapped her hand from the bandage Fiona had put round it and bent down to the water, washing the nasty smelling salve off her hand.
“Do you think you should be doing that?” a voice cut through the silence of pre-dawn.
Kitty shut her eyes tight a moment, then turned her head to look at Ar who was standing off to one side, he must have been on the last watch shift.
“I’m fine, I’ve had worse you know” Kitty answered then turned back to the creek and splashed some water on her face, the cool water felt good and cleared her head nicely.
“Yes, I can only imagine that you have” Ar replied as he walked towards Kitty.
Kitty stood up quickly to face him, but didn’t resist as he took her hand gently and examined it briefly. The bruising was now fully drawn out and Kitty’s knuckles were black and swollen.
“You know this puts your hand out of use for at least a week, don’t you?” Ar said frowning. “What did you do?”
Kitty snatched her hand back. “I can still take my turn at watch if that’s what you’re worried about”
Ar shook his head and was about to say more when Kitty looked up at the lightening sky and quickly changed the subject.
“There’s a storm coming” she pointed up at the point of horizon they could make out in the gloom, where there were big black rolling clouds coming towards them. “I think we need to set up some shelters and wait this storm out.”
Ar looked at the clouds. “You might be right”
“Of course I am” Kitty said triumphantly and walked off back towards camp with a broad smile on her face.
She was happy that she had managed to avoid any real conversation with Ar, but she knew it wouldn’t last too much longer, so any reprieve was one to celebrate.
‘Pity I can’t have a drink’ Kitty thought to herself, flexing her injured hand, as she walked back into camp.

And ran smack into Daniel who was standing with his hands crossed on the pommel of his sword at his hip, staring suspiciously at Kitty and Ar, who was walking back to camp just behind Kitty.
“Having a nice time?” Daniel said sounding unreasonably heated.
Kitty grinned even more for the chance to annoy her captor, which is how she now saw Daniel.
“Yes thanks, wonderful time” Kitty walked past Daniel and headed in the direction of the wagon to start grabbing canvas to make shelter.
Daniel glared after her then turned his gaze at Ar as he walked past. Ar just smirked and shrugged his shoulders.
Daniel scowled and walked after them.
“What are you doing?” he asked them
Kitty looked up and spoke to Daniel like he was a child.
“Look there, a big storm is approaching, we don’t want to be rained on and struck by lightning now do we?”
Ar had to cough to hide his laughter as Daniel stepped up to Kitty his face going red.
“Now listen here, if you think I am going to take you making a fool out of me Katheryn you’re wrong!”
Kitty actually grimaced at her full name being used like it caused her real pain, but she soon recovered and drew herself up ready for the fight.
“What are you going to do about it Captain Larmis, throw me in chains?” Kitty threw back at him with venom dripping from every word.
Ar was watching for the moment one of them went for a weapon.
It never got that far however as Eilathen stepped up between them and calmly placed his hands on Kitty’s shoulders spun her round and walked her off a few steps. Without saying a single word he spun her round again to face him, smiled, dropped his hands from her shoulders and looked her straight in the eye.
“You must learn to control your rage child.” He said softly then sighed, turned and walked away again.
Kitty was so shocked by this unexpected interaction that she had not resisted at all and now just stood watching Eilathen as he walked over to the fire and started warming his hands with his back to them all.
Most of the camp was up now and looking around bewildered about what was going on.
Kitty caught a glance of Fiona making her way over to her. This broke the spell and Kitty jumped back into action. Striding back to the wagon she grabbed the canvas again and dragged it off the wagon.
“Kitty, what have you done with your bandage” Fiona asked sounding slightly annoyed.
“Not now Fiona” Kitty said pointing to the sky. “Storm coming, we will talk later, shelter first. Here take this side” She said handing Fiona a corner of canvas and effectively dismissing everything that had just happened, leaving Daniel and Ar to work together with the other canvas well away from herself.
Last edited by Tygarya on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Seldo watched the exchange between Ar, Daniel, Kitty and Eilathen. When Eilathen stood by the fire, he followed and stood nearby. The boy watched the elf's face, the lines drawn in it by time he couldn't even fathom with his- what was it now 13 years? 14? Through his grandfather's and Robin's stories his imagination stretched so far but the man before him- just enjoying a warm fire and watching the camp bustle ahead of the storm- didn't seem to fit in any of them. Removed out of something else.
"She doesn't scare you at all does she?" Eilathen just smiled.
"She scares me, sometimes. When she's yelling like she was at Daniel last night. Ar scared me too the first night we met. I... was running but hunkered down for the night and he tripped over me. I thought he was out hunting to take me home. Last night was the worst though. It weren't watching two grown people trying to handle each other and coming to blows. It were thinking I didn't know what to do... when Fiona and Laesha disappeared I mean. I can fight but I don't know how to use that." He pointed to the sword laying next to his duffel sack. "What if the others had been too far away and it had been something really bad?" The elf just watched him quietly, Seldo frowned and fidgeted.
"Boy! Come on and help!" Someone shouted. Seldo glanced up to see who it had been. "Coming!" He answered. He shifted from one foot to the other, wondering for a moment if the man was trying to make him answer himself. But he didn't have it- not yet anyway. The boy nodded and after thinking about it bowed a little- that was respectful wasn't it? He started to walk away, wondering if he should make sure that Fiona knew some of the trees that surrounded them didn't quite look right. Big, black storms brought wind along with the rain and the lightning. A lot of wind. And wind was no friend among leaning, broken boughs and roots grown shallowly in rocky earth. He rubbed his own bare hands together and up and down his sleeves feeling the cold had increased somewhat in the small gusts that curled around and shook the leaves above them.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 am

Eilathen was watching the sun rise; the young Aramir had requested last watch of the night but that did not prevent him to walk about the camp. Sleep was not something his kind needed much and in the past couple of centuries he had found that it did not come easy to him anyway. He was thinking about Laesha, or rather what she told him the night before as he watched the clouds gather in the skies a warning of what they would unleash upon their small camp within the hour. His thoughts followed no clear path... Yet, mostly what he came back to was how did he explain to one so young as Laesha was what people did to hide their feelings, to hide from them? Laesha knew the old stories but by her own admission did not like to think of the sorrow within. How could she understand someone who would rather show anger than fear or sadness? Her grandmother once did exactly that and to the point of being almost killed... Eilathen always thought that had been her intention and that she felt that the healers in Gondor and Imladris had stolen her fate away.

And he wondered... what was it that made this particular child behave that way? Sure she carried a portentous name, but a name meant nothing in itself. The camp stirred behind and he walked back only to see that the young Katherine was once more trying to pick a fight with the man in charge of protecting her, even against her will. Granted it seemed that Daniel was not handling the young woman in the proper way but Eilathen doubted any of them could see what was happening. Maybe Aramir... but then it appeared he was facing some of the same issues as the red-head girl. And instead of helping Daniel, he seemed to enjoy siding with Katherine, as a pair of younglings driving a parent or guardian crazy. He realized his lips had curved into a sad smile.

That child was terrified; incapable it seemed to accept what or who she was it was easier to lash out at the ones who would force her to look her past, present and future in the face. And if it went on for much longer, there would be blades unsheathed among friends - albeit new ones. This was not right; the child would destroy herself or others before she accepted there might be peace to be found in accepting that sometimes there are things one cannot control. And so he did something that he had not expected himself to do; he stepped in the middle and pulled Katherine away.
“You must learn to control your rage child.” He said softly then sighed, turned and walked away again.

It was easier to phrase it this way, that she did not feel threatened by what he might have understood of the war being waged in her mind and soul. Maybe later he would speak to her... and to Aramir. Maybe there was something to be discovered on this journey, more than he had originally anticipated. There were still lessons to be learned in this world, no matter how long he had travelled it. He sighed again. And realized that the boy Seldo was standing beside him.

"She doesn't scare you at all, does she?" The child asked... no not at all. She is all spitting fire but I am a smith and I have handled fire since first Arien travelled the skies. Eilathen did not answer though as Seldo continued... He watched the boy attentively; even as he could not bring himself to say it this way, it seemed he wanted to assign himself a protector to his charge. And who knew? It might be a good thing for both of them. But not every man was meant to handle a weapon.

"Boy! Come and help!" Seldo was summoned... and he went.

Eilathen's thoughts wandered... he was here and part of this group with all that it entailed. It was no longer just about accompanying Laesha. There was more. Ah the writing of the music. He sighed once more and joined the others in their effort to protect their belongings and themselves from the gathering storm. His eyes met Aramir's as the latter let go of the canvas, he and Daniel had been handling. Some time later maybe, he thought he would speak with him.
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby GwenElf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:46 am

It took Falastor about an hour of travel down the road before he realized that he shouldn’t have left the inn after all. The proprietor had warned him about the oncoming storm, of course, but when had an innkeeper’s warnings ever been more than a cloak of sincerity draped artfully over a tunic of self-interest?

Falastor blinked. Cynicism, and it hadn’t even started raining. It was going to be a bad storm indeed.

He checked his mostly-de-inked sac for the thirty-seventh time that hour and made extra sure that the parchment was tucked as far down as possible. Satisfied -- well, as satisfied as he could be given that something was going to get wet, because something always got wet -- he began to scan the roadside for promising shelter as a peal of thunder took up the rain song a few beats too early.

The last time he’d been caught in an unexpected storm he’d been lucky enough to stumble upon an abandoned stable in a field. Where the accompanying farmhouse had gone was anyone’s guess; Falastor recalled that he had been rather too peeved about the possibility that his alidade might rust at the time to think of much else.

There were no stables in sight at the moment, but there was a large, colorful mishmash of something in the distance, just within sight. Perhaps half an hour’s walk, less if he focused on the salvation of his tools and picked up the pace. Meanwhile he had to hope that it wasn’t just a congregation of flowers gathered to witness the weather.

He thought for a moment of Herion and Larnach, and was just about to wonder -- again -- what could possess anyone to want to conduct research from Minas Tirith when there was so much world to see when another, louder crash of thunder disrupted his bright, dry worldview. Oh, yes, that was why his old travelling companions had opted not to come on this most recent expedition. If Falastor was, he admitted to himself, a bit too concerned about his supplies getting wet, Herion was practically allergic to rain. Grinning to himself, he shifted his bag further on to his shoulder and turned his attention to the would-be shelter.

By the time he’d determined that the colorful gathering was in fact a group of people erecting a series of tents, it had begun to rain, but worse, the wind had picked up considerably. The little covering his travelling coat provided was rendered less and less useful the more the gale winds lifted its tails and blew them back from his legs and sides, then whipped them back the way they’d come, tangling them between his legs as he tried to lengthen his strides. The pair of tents grew larger as Falastor hurried along, wondering whether their occupants would be kind enough to share their shelter with him, or if there would even be shelter at all by the time he got there.

As usual, his luck held, and as usual, he found this surprising. Even before he was within speaking distance of the crowd he saw several figures turn and wave him closer and heard indistinct shouts that sounded friendly and welcoming, although he had no idea why he thought so. He ran the last span of the road as the clouds above cracked in a last desperate attempt to drench his work of the last month. Practically giddy at his success, he stuck his tongue out at the weather and ducked under the tent flap.

“Good timing!” a voice said as he bent over, rested his hands on his knees, and took a few deep breaths. “No guarantee our tents won’t collapse in the storm, of course, but at least if you’re crushed you’ll be dry!”

Falastor laughed as he straightened up to face the speaker and the rest of the crowd which had paused in its flurry of activity to assess him. “Thanks,” he panted, lowering the sac to the ground. “I do like being dry when facing disaster.”
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Melwa » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Vanyaire fell into silence as the group she had managed to join pulled away from the fair. If she’d known it was going to be such a large crowd, she might have stayed away. Away from the noise and excitement of the fair, her inner quiet was reasserting itself. She wasn’t bored. There were plenty of people to watch and listen to. The angry looking girl (Lady Cat?) was being avoided by everyone, and speculation on her story was fascinating. Something about a royal meeting? An arrest? Then there was her “captor.” He seemed much too delighted at the prospect of chaining a fellow creature to be very pleasant company. There was an elf – at least, Vanyaire assumed he was an elf. She’d not seen many full-blooded elves, but the graceful movements and the striking features fit all the ballads. Three children – no, wait, that stocky one was a hobbit – see the hair on his feet? He had an amazing assortment of cooking tools hanging from his saddle. Was that all for his own cooking? The appetites of the hobbits were legendary. Vanyaire watched the woman who was obviously a jester with interest. As a fellow performer, (but a more experienced one) she seemed a potential friend. She would also probably be able to tell of new songs, new dances, perhaps. The man with the tunic of the same style as the Jester seemed to be in charge. It was he who gave the order to stop for the night. Faramir? That was a familiar name.
Last, but certainly not least, Vanyaire had watched the two members of the company who had spoken with her. She had hoped to speak with them more today, but the opportune time had never seemed to come. Fiona moved from person to person, checking in on and cheering up everyone. Well, almost everyone. Kitty seemed to barely notice the lady’s kindness. And Lari? He was about as quiet as Ree herself. After one short conversation (Informing the leader of her joining? Hopefully, she hadn’t gotten him in trouble for letting her come along. ), he had kept to himself all evening. Why? He didn’t seem to be angry like Kitty. He wasn’t avoiding anyone. She mentally listed what she’d learned in her brief talks with him. 1: he spoke of a “kingdom” but evidently did not mean the land of Arnor. 2: His clothes aren’t fashionable in the least, but they did seem quite practical. She admitted to herself that creating a wardrobe to satisfy both requirements would be nearly impossible. 3: his home had special cloth. 4: something had sucked him into a very sad daydream. Lack of cloth knowledge? Home? Perhaps he had been engaged, but she had jilted him because of his lack of interest in the selection of a wedding gown! Oh, poor Lari! 5: He’d not objected when she’d called him an elf. But compared to that Eil – somebody, he didn’t seem quite graceful enough. Plus, 6: he let her go on a long ways before objecting to anything. 7: He speaks horse!? Or the horse understands elvish? Was that elvish? It didn’t sound like the Language Master when he sang elven songs.
Vanyaire awoke from her musings to find an empty dinner plate in her lap. As the hobbit passed by with a bedroll in his arms, she quickly said, “Thank you very much for the dinner, sir. It was delicious.”
He paused to give her a nod and a smile. “You’re welcome. I enjoyed it too. I’m bedding down for the night. See you in the morning.”
She looked around and saw the others were all beginning to yawn. Again, she wished for a warm cloak. Her shawl worked well for a pillow, but it didn’t do much to keep the breeze off or cushion the hard ground. Well, perhaps one of the trees would be nice to lean against. Yes, over there was a nice one. The girl rose, slipped over to her chosen bed, and quietly settled down. She could hear the gentle music of someone from the camp. It was sad. Vanyarie was glad she couldn’t hear the words. It sounded like a horrible lullaby. Just as she was about to drift off, she realized that the humming she had been hearing was emanating from a tree on her left. Except, now she could hear words. The song was beautiful. She stayed still, but now she was completely focused on listening. She soon realized that the sad singer was Lari. Then the song cut off, and the silence of the woods reigned unbroken. Suddenly, everything clicked – that was why Lari had been so quiet, so sad, and so worried about offending her! Ree lay awake for a long time, but she didn’t notice the lumpiness of the ground. She was carefully memorizing the tune, the gist, and as much of the lyrics as she could. Finally, she slept, only to dream of a woodland fair cut short by all the elves leaving to find the Sea.
All, at once, Vanyaire was awake. Someone had been yelling. A cold breeze whipped around her, and the boughs above creaked. Storm clouds were rolling towards the camp, with the winds fleeing before them. When Ree stood up, she saw that most of the group was already gathered at the wagon, preparing a makeshift shelter. As she began to run for the wagon, she noticed that Lari was not among the workers. Was he off on an errand, or was he still up in that tree? Such a perch would be dangerous with a storm approaching.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:17 am

Robin was busy setting up the shelter and moving their stuff in before the storm came. Gwaeryn had already bid farewell until the storm had passed. It was going to be too fierce for even him to fly in, so he would go elsewhere until it had passed. He flew aloft, looking at the storm. He hoped to fly above it, but the thunderclouds were too high even for him.

It looked like an isolated storm, usually the most dangerous kind, but it was small and intense, so he could easily fly around it. It was coming up from the south, so he flew east to the mountains and alit atop one of them to wait out the storm, breathing out a prayer for safety for those down below.

He watched as the storm approached the position of his friends. Lightning and wind were fierce as he saw it, and the core of rain looked heavy. He hoped they were all under shelter, for this would be a hard time for them. Neither man nor beast should be out in it.

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby siddharth » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:51 am

Due to the commotion coming from the camp, his pleasant dreams came to an abrupt halt as Sidhlarion woke up. He took a quick glance and saw the others putting up a shelter.

What for? Aren't we moving?

Curious, he descended from the huge silver Oak and started towards them when a distant thunder drew his eyes towards the gray clouds amassing in the sky.

"Clouds! A storm's brewing? A storm's brewing! Adh eryn! "When he finally arrived at the camp, he was brimming with excitement and had a sheepish grin on his face which was not missed by Fiona.
"Why the happy-face, Lari?" She asked as she handed him one of the canvas edges.
"Rain! A storm is coming!" He chuckled.
Really? Why didn't we notice, I wonder." She rolled her eyes.
"What? I love rain, I love storms. And have been in plenty. So we're setting this up to sit-out the storm?" He asked with a quizzical expression.
"Of course!" Fiona replied. "I do not know about you Lari, but I certainly don't appreciate the morning after getting wet in rain.
Neither a fever, nor the cough. "
"I see your point. My cloak ---- this ---- protects me from getting wet.And so, in a way I'm immune to that risk. I wish I had more of these for you all."
"Nothing can be done about that. But the thought counts." Fiona grinned.
"So you're going to stay out?"
"Perhaps. I do not know."

Fiona was about to say something when they heard the others shouting outto someone. They both craned their necks to catch a glimpse of a distant figure which appeared to be running towards them. It was a man. A man with a lot of things dangling about him. As he approached nearer, the various 'things' turned into maps, parchments and tools of various
make. The heavens roared from above and Lari thought the man would be overrun by the storm. As he observed, others started cheering him to keep on running. And as the clouds grumbled again and the first drops of rain began to fall, with a final leap he was within the shelter. Along with a few others he patted the man for his effort.

In a matter of moments since Falastor (as he came to know the refugee's name was) arrived, the rain had started. All of them were huddled together as comfortably as possible, while the brutal winds lashed like whips on the trees outside.

"Seems like a pretty tough weather, this!" Seldo, sitting beside Lari, said while rubbing his hands for warmth.

"It is" Robyn said, who was sitting opposite to him. "I don't like this storm. Not only because it just made my possible breakfast
uncomfortable, but also because Gwaeryn is not here. I miss him already!"

"Hmmm. Pretty bad weather indeed. I don't like this at all." Lari tried his best to sound convincing. He couldn't throw in his 'storms are wonderful' theory amidst these two now, could he?

"Speaking of breakfast, if I may say so, last night's dinner was the most brilliant meal I have had in a while. My compliments, master hobbit." Lari tried breaking the silence between them.

But Royin looked visibly surprised. "Really? That was a pretty normal-ish dish. Nothing special."

"Ah, but that also was the first cooked food I have had in months." Lari said.

"Even bad food tastes great at that time, you know." Seldo winked at Robyn.

Perplexed as he was, Lari began protesting saying he didn't mean it like that, but Seldo and Robin burst out laughing.

"Don't worry, my dear fellow. We were just teasing you a bit." Robin smiled.

"Ohh." Lari let out a sigh of relief and managed a dry chuckle.

"On talents though, I would say you're quite the tracker." Seldo exclaimed. "the way you tracked them, when Fiona and Laesha were 'kidnapped'. "

"Oh, it was nothing really!" Lari blushed. "I just keep my eyes and guesses open. That's all to it. ...Know what? You hunt in the woods for a year and you'll be a tracker in no time." he added after a pause.

"Talk of hunting! I'd rather have a hot mug. The wind is piercing!" Robyn said.

"Something like this? " they didn't notice when Fiona had crept closer to them, now holding a tray of mugs containing some hot brew.
"Yes!" All three of them picked up one each and gulped down the soothing brew.
"Lari, good thing you woke up before the storm came. Who knows, perhaps you'd have had to stay outside in this weather then." She gave a meaningful glance.
And Lari caught the sarcasm. "Yes indeed. And I'd like nothing more than some company. Even more than rain."
He mumbled the last few words, as he didn't wanted Robyn or Seldo to hear them. He emptied his mug with one last sip.
Last edited by siddharth on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Tygarya » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:39 am

Kitty kept her head down and concentrated on getting the camp ready for the approaching storm, avoiding Fiona’s attempts at banter with curt one liners or simply just grunts until Fiona gave up. Although Kitty knew it was only temporary she was very relieved.

They eventually got the canvases and the supply tent all arranged into a make shift shelter for everyone with the help of the supply wagon as well. How it all resulted was in a two sided structure facing the open fire with a roof, all tied to some of the sturdier trees and to the supply wagon, it still however whipped and rolled somewhat with the rising winds, but it would keep them dry. The horses were tethered at the far end facing a ticket which would suffice as the third wall to keep most of the weather off them.

They all managed to finish their tasks just as the first spits of rain started, heavy laden drops that were sparse and scattered at first but within a minute had become more frequent and closer together. It was a cold icy rain and as Kitty stood looking up into the drops she wondered if it was going to turn into hailstones. She was distracted from her thoughts by shouts and frantic waving of some of the group and the appearance of a man running towards them. Kitty watched the man, taking in his disarray and somewhat disorganised appearance and deemed him no threat.

As everyone ducked inside, Kitty took at place close to the opening and pulled her heavy cloak around her, sat down and stretched her legs out in front of her. The ladies, Robin and Seldo seemed to take the middle of the shelter, forming a little ring where they chattered and huddled as the storm started to heighten in intensity. Kitty pulled her hood up as Daniel sat down not far away and turned to stare out at the rain hissing into the fire.Others found themselves a small space to claim as their own. Ar was piling wood onto the fire to get it blazing so it would be able to hold off the water trying to drench it, then he jumped into the shelter and took up a position mirroring Kitty on the other side of the opening with his legs stretched out also. Kitty looked up at him to find he was looking straight at her.
“How’s the hand?” he asked with a sly smile.
Kitty frowned at him with a questioning look, almost asking him what his game was. “It’s okay” she answered quietly bringing it out of the folds of her cloak and flexing it round.
“It doesn’t look okay” Daniel said then from beside Kitty’s right shoulder.
“It’s fine enough to slit your throat” Kitty growled at him taking a dagger out of her belt and holding it up in her right hand.
“Fine, whatever” Daniel said with a sigh and pulled the hood of his cloak up turned away and looked like he was going to go to sleep.
Kitty grinned feeling pleased with herself and glanced back at Ar who was watching with feigned disinterest.
“You must be feeling like a drink by now” Ar said then, the sly smile back on his face.
Kitty gave him a flinty look and casually changed the dagger to her left hand, balancing it on the palm. Almost quicker than the eye she flicked her wrist and spun the blade around her hand flipping her hand over so the blade was now balanced on the back of her hand, then she tossed it into the air an inch, flicked her hand back and caught the handle of the dagger, wrapping her hand around it so the butt of the handle was against her thumb, the blade pointing out towards Ar.
Ar watched then looked at Kitty with a questioning look.
Kitty shrugged, she knew Ar had seen how good she was with her right hand, this little display was nothing like that, she was excellent with her right, only good with her left. As she did the trick again and again she slowly got faster and better at it. Practise was all it needed, and what more perfect weather for practise of handling a dagger than a storm. Ar had stopped watching and closed his eyes.
Kitty had been practising for about half an hour when Robin stood up from the group in the middle and walked towards the opening and the torrential downpour, it was so noisy on the canvases that it made it hard to talk. Kitty looked up at Robin questioningly. He made a motion with his hand of eating. It had been a couple of hours since breakfast at least, poor starving hobbit Kitty thought to herself as she pulled her legs in to let him pass and brave the weather to try and cook some food.

It was then that Kitty saw another figure approaching, this one made Kitty cringe slightly, but she sat up tall and pushed her hood back a bit to look up at the figure of Fiona as she stepped over Daniel and sat down next to Kitty. She looked serious and that made Kitty worry a bit. She knew Fiona was a good soul, one of those people who saw the best in everyone, and although she had lately learnt some harsh lessons regarding that, and Kitty had had to dispose of one such problem, Fiona was still as trusting of people as ever, Kitty was almost regretful to have to disappoint her.
“Kitty can I look at your hand please?” Fiona asked with a wiry smile on her face.
Kitty ginned and held her left hand up to her ear, dropping the dagger into her lap.
“What was that?”, she shouted over the rain. Then, just as Fiona went to repeat her question, as if on cue there was a flash of lightning and an extremely loud clap of thunder together. Fiona jumped and closed her open mouth. Kitty laughed, but then turned and looked out of the opening as the sound of the rain turned to a louder clunking sound. Kitty watched at the rain turned to hail before her eyes. Robin disgarded the frypan to the grass beside the fire and grabbing up some bread, cheese, a ham and a bottle of wine he leapt with surprising dexterity into the shelter shaking off the hailstones clinging to him. This caused Kitty to laugh again, and Fiona in turn laughed also, although now their voices were completely drowned out by the deafening noise. There would be no talking for now.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Lithtaur16 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 am

Hunkered down next to Robyn, Seldo listened to the steady pummeling of the hail and rain against the canvas shelter. He was shivering in his thin linen tunic and trousers but, grateful to not be out in the middle of that mess, he didn't complain. They were still laughing and cheering for Robyn's heroic efforts to retrieve lunch. A change that brought the some of the wind into the shelter made the boy jump up, for the sound of it was strange. "Whooooaaaa, Whoooaaaa..." over and over and seemingly closer.
"Be that a wolf?"
"Even they wouldn't venture out in this, Seldo, easy lad! It's just the wind picking up," Robyn called above the cacophony, trying to balance his cheese and motion for Seldo to sit again. He did but he was still shaking, not because of cold now but because something seemed wrong. He rubbed his right arm where his older brother had accidentally broken it two years ago. They'd been wrestling near the wagons and his brother had tripped him to close...
Crick, crick, criiiiick, CRACK, CRASH, [i]WOOMPH![/i]
The wind had claimed one of the trees unseen behind the shelter and now the canvas and tent shook in the wind, more and more it shook. The howl of the wind grew to a roar, drowning out the nervous nickering of the horses and sending twigs and finger width branches skittering across the top of the shelter. One of the bottom corners of the shelter came loose and flapped as the wind asserted itself, sending anything light and not tied down rolling. Seldo jumped on the flippant corner and fought it down, getting hopelessly soaked in a bitter rain that flew unnaturally sidewise and tried to pound everyone else not properly clothed and turned away from it. Lari helped him tie it securely. They could hear the screaming and crashing of more trees deeper in the forest but where they were the wind seemed to drop off about as suddenly as it built, it was relatively quiet, the hail and rain becoming the welcome majority of the noise again.
"I don't remember anything like this!" Seldo called above the racket. Sitting by Robyn again, his heart still pounded and he still shivered though he was warm for the excitement of it.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Gwaeryn was watching the storm progress from his vantage point on a nearby mountain. He hoped his friends would weather it, but then, something happened down there that terrfied him. The winds were going in a way contrary to the storm, trees were bending, then a narrow cloud dipped down near the shelter, and all Mordor broke loose. First one tree, then another was flattened by the cyclone, then some trees and other debris were snatched up and rotated around the spinning vortex, smashing down elsewhere.

"May the Valar turn it aside!" he cried. He dared not fly down in the midst of it, and simply watched in horror as it passed near the shelter, too close. But then, it missed the shelter and his friends. The Eagle sighed with relief. It seemed the worst was over as the storm was passing.

--------
Meanwhile, Robin was in the thick of it. He was huddled near Seldyn and the others as the noise outside suddenly changed to a whine, then a dull roar that grew louder until it was deafening. The sound of trees crashing and things hitting the shelter frightened even him. He had heard of such things, one passed through Tookland one time and caused a lot of damage to the hobbit dwellings down there. They had all got together to rebuild. It was one of the last things he did before he left on his adventure.

Then, as it went to a deafening pitch, and he was sure all would be killed in this, he hoped Gwaeryn didn't try to come down in this, he would fare worse than whatever was being destroyed out there. Then, silence. An eerie silence, and the rain and hail were beating down as the crashing became more distant. He crawled out to the flap and peeked out to see what had happened, and trees and other things were flattened, like a giant had stomped through the area and kicked everything askew. He thought he saw swirling debris that looked at first like birds flying around retreating in the distance.

He shuddered and crawled back. "We've had a near miss, my friends." he said. "You wouldn't believe what I saw out there."

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 am

It was one thing to have to huddle like scared mice under this small shelter, thought Fionavar - then the ground began to shake and the noise level rose to a deafening level. She felt something slam on top of her, pinning her to the ground. From that level she could get a glimpse under the flap and saw small animals flying through the air, tree's snapping like twigs and what there was of any camping equipment was now gone with the wind. The trouble that she was having breathing must have been coming from her heart thudding in her chest so hard - but it effectively smashed her face into the soft mud as well, she hoped both the storm and the constant thudding would stop and soon.

Then just as fast as it came, it was silent as the grave outside the construction. Sun was peeking through the dark clouds and a light clean rain began to fall. The next noise was movement around her, but the crushing weight was still on her. She wondered if Caloo had fallen on her in all the commotion, it felt like it. She was able to turn her mud covered face up enough to look.

"What in all of Mount Doom are you thinking? Get off of me!" She shoved at Aramir's face until he moved carefully away to stand by Kitty. "What were you thinking? Or did you conveniently trip during the storm? Or maybe some well intentioned person pushed you on top of me?" She looked at Kitty who decided to study her hand at that point. Taking her skirt hem, she wiped her face and raised an ominous finger at the two. "No more, you hear? No more. I didn't just come off my mothers teet yesterday. We have been through much on this trip but I don't need your coddling and I won't have it any longer." The glare she directed towards the guilty parties had fire burning beneath the lashes. The rest of the shook up party sat motionless, staring at her outburst. "I am outta here."

She flung the tent flap open to hear Robin mutter, "Erm, Fiona, I wouldn't....." She whirled on the kind Hobbit, "Don't you start in on me too," and she immediately tripped over a fallen tree stump that was partially blocking the entrance to the tent. Fine, just fine. Fionavar was in a high rage and couldn't totally figure what had set her off so much. She needed Caloo and to find her belongings, touch them and put some sanity back in this shattering day.

They had loosed the horses before taking shelter, even a fool knows you don't tether animals in a storm like that. One year in her home town a Twister had lifted a heifer clean up and dropped her down two farms over, safely grazing when they found her again. A search of the immediate area showed a few of the horses nearby, but no sign of Caloo. A bright reflection on something metal caught her attention. It took a few moments to clear the trunks, brush and debris to get there but when she did, all she could do was thud backwards. The pack that held the food, clothing and her flute were under an uprooted berry bush. Unharmed.

Standing on wobbling knees, she scanned the area again, but there was no sign of Caloo. Calling her name, produced no results except to bring the others from the shelter. She looked at them pleadingly with tears rolling down her face.

In a whisper, "where's Caloo?" She dropped to her knees and put her forehead on the ground. With all she had lost on this trip, this was too much. Pulling her pack close to her body, she wrapped around it like like a child and wept quietly.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Tygarya » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 pm

When the large tree stump landed next to the shelter’s opening Kitty was forced to curl up and turn away defensively to try and shelter herself from being hit and bumped into Daniel – who had sat up in the commotion. Daniel, on reflex, threw his arms around Kitty and pulled her to him to protect her. This resulted in a huge fight during the worst of the tornado as Kitty struggled against him to get free.

“Get off me!” Kitty screamed, although mostly drowned out by the screaming of the wind.

“I’m trying to help you you stupid woman!” Daniel shouted back covering her head with an arm and tucking his head towards hers also as another tree crashed down nearby unseen on the other side of the meagre canvas.

‘Don’t touch me!” Kitty screamed again, frantically trying to get free.

Daniel sensed her panic was more than just trying to be tough and finally let her go. Kitty jumped up and sprang back from Daniel, just at the point where Ar was also standing realising what was going on between Daniel and Kitty.
Kitty banged into Ar causing him to step backwards, trip over someone lying on the ground and collapse in a heap right on top of Fiona.
It was at this precise moment that the tornado disappeared back to the hell it had come from as abruptly as it had arrived.
It was now Fiona’s voice that could be heard screaming.

"What in all of Mount Doom are you thinking? Get off of me!" She shoved at Aramir's face until he moved carefully away to stand by Kitty. "What were you thinking? Or did you conveniently trip during the storm? Or maybe some well intentioned person pushed you on top of me?"

Kitty looked away and started studying her hand which was starting to throb again, then looked up at Daniel who was standing not far away looking at Kitty with a wild look in his eyes. He raked a hand through his messy hair, which made Kitty look sharply back at Ar who was still being berated by Fiona, and then back at Daniel.

“What?” Daniel asked as he saw a curious look come over Kitty’s face.

“Nothing, nothing at all” Kitty answered and gave Ar another glance, smiled to herself then stepped outside to survey the damage.

As Kitty stepped outside with the others they found Fiona hugging her pack, then she fell to her knees sobbing. Laesha ran over to her and comforted her, raising her face after a brief word with Fiona and looking at the others.

“We need to find Caloo” she said which jumped Lari into action.

“I’m a tracker, I’ll see what I can find” and with that he was off scouting through the campsite.

“Well I suppose we should try and fix things up a bit before this rain gets heavier again, it’s getting too late to try and head out now anyway.” Ar said taking command of the situation, raking his hand through his hair and looking round at the mess.
Kitty cracked up laughing at that point unable to hold her discovery in any longer.
Ar looked at her sharply. Kitty raised her hand and pointed at him then at Daniel, then back at him.

‘You know, you two could almost be mistaken for brothers!” Kitty blurted out through laughter.
Ar’s eyes went flat and when he also heard Geli start laughing he stalked away, already knowing they looked similar but he wouldn’t have gone that far.
Daniel however took the bait and spluttered and coughed at the revelation.

“What!” he gasped, “I hardly think that’s a fair assumption to make at all, we look nothing alike.”
Kitty was still sniggering to herself as Daniel stormed off in the opposite direction to Ar.

“Good one” Geli said with a flourish and bounced off in the direction Ar took.

Everyone else settled into the task of cleaning up, rounding up the other horses, getting the shelter reorganised, the fire sorted and hopefully a hot meal that everyone could do with after the ordeal of the storm. While Lari searched for signs of Caloo and Robin searched the skies for signs of Gwaeryn returning.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 am

Lari was not comfortable.
Not only because of the weather (he liked rain but not hail!) but there
was some tiny spot in a corner of his mind that said something was not
right. He tried hard to remember anything about such a thing but in
vain. But as soon as Lari started to doze off, thunder clapped somewhere
near, and he all of a sudden sprang up. He had
remembered what he had forgotten.

My bow! And arrows! Where are they? Where are they?

He searched his memories frantically to get any idea of where they might
be. And the answer was clear. The Oak, he had been sleeping on. This
morning when he climbed down he all but forgot to take them with him.
Determined to get them back he crept near the entrance and peeked. And
as soon as he did, he was flung back by a gust of wind and he fell back
on the ground with a thud. He saw trees and branches and twigs and
shrubs flying here and there. Giant trees uprooted, lay on the ground
broken. He watched this in horror and was trying to figure out a way to
go out and revive his bow in this weather. But he didn’t dare to do
it.
Lari didn’t know how long it lasted, but the monstrous mass of circling
winds vanished all of a sudden, it passed away to a distance as swift as
a Raven can.

As the weather seemed to quiet down he got up on his boots and was
about to make for the silver Oak when he was distracted by the sound of
female sobs. Perplexed, he turned around only to find Fiona weeping and a
few of the others trying to comfort her

“Caloo is not here. We have to find her!” Laesha said.

Lari was sad to see her crying like this. Of the whole group till now,
he liked Fiona the most. And he felt sorry for her.

I feel her pain. I know I will perhaps kill myself or go mad if Haefa
was lost to me …. Haefa? … Haefa!!!

His eyes widened and now excited, he walked towards Fiona.

“Fiona, I can talk to Haefa about Caloo’s whereabouts. She might know.
Once I get directions I may track her down. So please try not to be sad
till I find her.” Fiona only nodded as she tried controlling her
emotions.
After finding Haefa, Lari went near and spoke to her in a tone filled
with urgency
and returned to the group after a few moments.

“She has seen her. Apparently Caloo ran deeper into the woods … that
way. I think it would be easier now since the soil is still soft with
all the water. “
He then turned to the others. “Meanwhile, I think I have lost my bow and
Quiver. I left it near the Silver Oak tree over there. I’d be very
grateful if anyone would try looking for it. I’m off now.”

And he ran out of the tent as swiftly as he could.

“ Wait! I will come!” He saw Fiona following him, and Laesha running after her. “ I will look for her
too!”
He didn’t stop her since he knew he too would not be sitting in a tent
if Haefa was lost.

“More tracks! Look!” Lari exclaimed an hour later, just when they
thought all the tracks had gone.
“No doubt, these are Caloos's hoofs. And what’s more, they’re fresh. Not
more than half an hour or so. Which means Caloo survived the
storm!!Shes's alive!” He tried to be cheerful. Fiona had gotten over her
initial shock but she still was visibly nervous. But he was very glad
when he saw a flicker of a smile on her dry lips.

Time passed on as they continued searching for her. Lari, sometimes bent
down, sometimes crawled, sometimes jumped in exasperation as he slowly
followed the trails left behind by Caloo. And all the while, Fiona and Laesha
continued calling out the pony’s name.
After some more time, they were standing on a hillock, where all the
marks had led to and now disappeared! Confused and irritated, Lari was
brainstorming all the options he had as he kept looking for more clues.
And then he noticed something on the ground which he did not like.

There was the mark of a hoof near the edge of the elevation. Caloo’s no
doubt. But it was disturbed and irregular in shape, almost as if Caloo
had been dragged off the edge.

Caloo fell off?

He looked down.

Hmmm, it’s not a fatal depth. Caloo may have suffered a few injuries
but she should be alive. She’s got to be somewhere near!

He told his thought to Fiona and they both, looking down at the glade
below, called out her name as loud as they could. Lari thought he could
hear a distant answer through his Elvish ears, but was not at all
convinced about where it came from.
Fiona was on the brink of breaking again, while Laesha simply seemed shocked.
Chagrined and helpless, he tried considering his options when he noticed
the sun being slowly eclipsed and a faint but dark spot far far above
in the sky.
Last edited by siddharth on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:09 pm

From his vantage point, Gwaeryn watched the whirlwind and its awesome, frightening power as it moved away from his friends. then, it got thinner and thinner, like a rope, then dissipated. Debris fell from the clouds, and something dropped a short way from where the funnel had been. It was time to fly down and see if his friends were all right. He had seen the entire life cycle of the tornado as it began, did its devastation, then fell apart.

The Eagle lifted his wings and took off from the mountain, looking over the path the tornado had taken, and the awful devastation it left in its wake. He saw several of his friends who looked like they were on a quest, and wheeled, following them from above. His shadow fell on them.

He looked past the hillock and saw something he didn't recognize at first. It looked like a scarecrow, and was unrecognizable as any of the company, but he circled down closer to get a good look. To his surprise, it was the pony, Caloo, but she looked so different from the last time he had seen her. She was plastered with mud, and had straw and sticks stuck to her. He circled down and landed near the pony.

Caloo was in shock, and she looked up at the Eagle with woeful eyes. She had the look of one who had endured horrors that no beast should endure, as if she had faced all nine Nazgul at once and been attacked. The look communicated, Why?

She had the look of one who had faced the worst, and expected death, and would welcome it. Gwaeryn felt a pang of regret at ever calling her 'delicious.' He would never do it again to this gentle creature. He spoke gently to Caloo in Sindarin. Oronte! Tolo, Hennur. (Arise! Come, wretched child.) Hennur would be his name for her from then on. She tottered to the Eagle, expecting to be eaten, and hoping it was the case. Gwaeryn simply bent down. He dared not pick her up in his talons, lest he frighten the creature beyond measure.

He bent down to the ground. "Get on, Hennur. Your mistress awaits you. The worst is over."

Caloo clumsily climbed atop the Eagle's neck, and hung on tight. Gwaeryn winced as she pinched, but endured it for the sake of this blessed one. He wished he could bear her to the Undying Lands where the memory of this horror would fall away like rain through one's hands.

He lifted up, gently, slowly, so as not to alarm the already alarmed creature, numb from the horror she had gone through. He circled upwards, slowly, rising from the valley. He saw the path she had taken, and it looked like she had been running down the path, chased by the terror from above. In fact, they shared a bond, and Caloo communicated in her own way, in mental images, to the Eagle as she clung to his feathers of her ordeal. The desperate run away from the approaching whirlwind, and just when she had ascended, she had been picked up by it, spun around and round, up and down, and pelted with twigs and other debris. Then, dropped down.

Gwaeryn sang softly to the pony.

Orthannen im vi ol
Coll e du
Or hiriath naur
Na rovail mae sui 'waew
Man prestant i ardhon?
Cerithar aen illiad dim uthenin?

The translation, which was meant to calm the pony spoke of another rescue the Eagles had done about a hundred years before, of two hobbits in the midst of a river of fire, awaiting death.

In a dream I was lifted up.
Borne from the darkness
Above the rivers of fire.
On wings doft as the wind.
What's happened to the world?
Is everything sad going to come untrue?

He circled down to the companions, Laesha, Lari and Fiona, and landed softly. "Be careful. She has been through a lot." he said. He bent down, and Caloo slid off.

Fiona ran to the mud-caked pony and embraced her as if she would disappear if she let go. "CALOO! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!"

The pony simply whinnied and shivered.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Melwa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:59 pm

When Lari and Fiona dashed off with Laesha, Ree was still gazing about in shock at the wreckage of the beautiful glade. Everyone seemed completely wrapped up in the emotions raised by the events of the past few minutes. She had been securely at the center of the shelter, and had not felt much disturbance herself until she stepped outside.

The trees! She cried to herself, oh, the poor trees, and the grass and – the flowers! Is everything ruined for miles around? How will the crops survive? "Windstorm," she heard someone else say in awe. She began to notice that the damage was partial. A stump had been dropped at the front of their tent, and yet some of the nearby bushes were perfectly fine. A part of a story she had heard an older cousin tell many years before came to her memory – something about great eddies of wind, whirlpools of storm clouds. The strange images were distinctive, and no less memorable were the reported results. Although the winds could rip things out of the ground and blow them away, they were also known for surprising gentleness. A hen and her nest set down unharmed miles from home, a loom scooped from a house and deposited, dirty but functional in a neighbor’s yard.

She shook herself. Robin was already gathering the scattered food at the wagon, spreading it out to dry on the roof of the shelter. He kept shaking his head. A fire would make them all feel better, and they could try to dry out the food. There was no such thing as “dry wood” anymore, of course, but she could get dead branches from the trees. She headed into the fringe of the woods. After collecting a couple good armfuls, she encountered a tree with a strange lump. Was that a hornet’s nest? No, it was hanging much too far out on a branch to be the work of sensible insects. Her eyes widened. It was one of their sacks of food! Hanging precariously from a slender branch, 20 feet up, was the largest of their precious food bags! “Robin! I found the big food sack!”

A few seconds later the crashing in the brush was silenced as Robin arrived at her side. “Where?” the hobbit panted, “where is it?” He glared at her empty hands, then began to look around at the nearby ground.

Despite herself, Ree giggled. “Robin, stop, it’s not on the ground. Look up!”

Robin looked up. “Oh, no! How will we do without that food? ! That branch is too thin for us to climb out and get the bag. I can’t bear the thought of leaving that good bread and fruit behind for the birds.”

Vanyaire stared up at the sack. An idea jingled in her mind. “I think,” she said slowly, “I think I could get it. It’s not hanging on by much. See how the branch is bent?”
Robin nearly shrieked, “You can’t just knock it down! The bread will be ruined! The fruit will be smashed!”

“Of course I won’t knock it down! But maybe . . . do you see that branch about 5 feet above and to the left?” Robin nodded. “What if I climbed up there, over the sack, and hooked it somehow?”

“Good idea. With a stick or a rope?” said Geli from behind them. Ree realized as she turned that the jingle had not been in her head, but on Geli’s.

“A stick to guide the rope, if possible. Let’s see what we’ve got!” she replied, and the threesome hurried back to the camp. Aramir looked up at Geli as she emerged from the woods, and gave an almost imperceptible nod. “We need a long rope, a stick” declared Ree as they reached the wagon. “And, Mr. Faramir, could you please give me a boost? The branches start up too high for me.” Armed with the rope, and Falastor’s staff, they returned to the tree. Vanyaire tied the rope around her middle, but decided at the last minute to go without the staff, as it would be too hard to carry up the tree. She took a deep breath. I can do this. It’s not that different from my Alone Tree at home. Except completely different. And I never went out that far on a branch – but I’ve got to try.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:20 am

Fionavar hardly noticed the departure of Gwaeryn and the other large horse. Her friends were kind, consoling her as they knew what a loss Caloo would be for the lady. In her mind she knew that she needed to move, check the supplies and start getting things back to proper order. For some reason, her body didn't listen to her mind. Nothing she picked up and checked seemed damaged in the least, but it hardly registered. Her fingers found her flute, it was muddy but in tact. It occurred to her that she hadn't even taken the time to play her music since meeting up with Robin, so long ago now it seemed. Would she ever play a gay tune again?

Darkness then covered the copse, the wings of the giant eagle shadowing from above. He lightly touched down and to her amazement, Caloo slid to the ground. The pony shivered in place and it seemed she could hardly stand. She was filthy, almost every inch of her cinnamon colored hide was matted and covered in mud and nettles. It didn't matter to Fionavar, she ran as swiftly as she could, clearing the waste brush and debris to get to Caloo. Finally, she was able to wrap her arms around the pony, she felt the quivering of her body and wondered how much was from chill and how much was from fright. Gwaeryn tilted his head, one large eye twinkled at Fionavar.

"She will be fine and so will you," he ruffled his feathers and one large specimen fell to the ground.

"Thank you great one," she picked up the lone feather, "I shall keep this in honor of what you have done for me and for Caloo." As she relaxed a bit, it struck her how unbelievable it would be to tell someone of the great ride of Caloo. Though tears were still streaming down her face, she wiped them and smiled. "She is back!!" Turning to the newcomer Lari, she nodded in thanks for any help that his wonderful steed had provided. "I think I am going to wash this filthy nag now. Please excuse us." Taking her flute up, they headed out of the glade and found a clear stream that opened into a wide pond before moving onward. It was no mean task to get Caloo clean enough, but she whistled through her nose indicating that she was pleased and nudged Fionavar at any opportunity.

On the banks of the pond, there was verdant grasses, just right for a laze about. Caloo about fell to the softness of the earth and let out a very contented sigh. Fionavar sat next to her trying to imagine what it must have been like to have flown on the back of the greatest eagle. Before she knew it, she was playing a tune on the pipes and the words were rolling around in her head.

"Here, Caloo. I have fashioned a song for you. I will call it "The Ride of Caloo".

The sweet notes that came from her flute soon turned to far off anguish, a lonely thrum. Sadness blew from her lips and then hope. The refrain again turned to fear, resignation and then great joy.

Fionavar would have to perfect the melody, but it was a good start. The finishing touch would be the words to go with the song.

The Ride of Caloo

Although it seems rare
The story must be told.
Of Caloo the meek and timid
and Gwaeryn the strong and bold.

A seemly normal day
Like any other would dawn.
Who knew, in a flash
So much would be gone.

The friends huddled safe
While the gale winds blew
But when it was over
There was no sign of Caloo.

Fionavar was distraught
She felt Caloo must have died.
When Lari came forth and offered
Haefa as a guide.

The steed, he could talk
To his master at will.
He kept his progress known
As he searched every hill.

Then Gwaeryn the eagle
Took to the skies over head.
Haefa would show him
Where he must be lead.

Caloo stood huddled
On a cliff side so slim.
The steed called her forward
Gentling urging towards him.

Gwaeryn landed softly
And spoke in the old way.
To mount on his shoulders
And be carried that day.

Caloo closed her eyes
Though she wanted to see.
The beauty below them
As he rose from the scree.

The ride wasn't long
Soon they were on the land.
Fionavar rushed forward
Comforting with her hand.

If it were possible
For a pony she would say,
Thank you Great Lord
For the ride this day.

She turned to Haefa
and it showed in her eye.
The gratitude and joy
At being alive.

Though many will scoff
And believe it not true.
This is the story
Of the ride of Caloo.

Coming out of her own mental travels, she looked at Caloo and was dismayed to find that she had rolled in a mud puddle and was once again covered with mire from head to tail. "I won't be washing you again today, you can sleep with that stink if you like." Still, she was so happy that Caloo was safe, it didn't matter if she rolled like a pig in mud everyday.

Kitty was the first to spot them and laughed. "I thought you were going to give her a bath, she is filthy."

"I did," Fionavar countered sourly.

Kitty just formed an "o" with her lips and smiled as if she knew something.

"I have some warm food Fiona," Robin gestured to a fire. "Why not come and eat and share the tune you have worked out?" The girl blinked a few times and guessed that she had been heard.

"Thanks and sure." Fionavar then set herself to eating.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 pm

As soon as Lari, Fiona, Laesha returned with Caloo beside them and Gwaeryn above, everyone of the company rushed to them and huddled Fiona with a lot of questions.
And he felt a little dumb to be just standing there like a mute. So he quietly slipped away from the crowd and after patting Haefa on her neck for her help, he went on towards that Silver Oak tree. He knew he'd asked help from the others to get his bow and arrows, but he assumed, and on the inside knew, everybody would be too busy packing up to care for his "petty" toys.

But when he finally came upon the Oak tree he was shocked to see it's state. The scene looked like a total disaster. There lay on the ground the remains of that tree, violently uprooted, as if by some Cave-troll. And it's bark at some places charred to ashes, by the lightning no doubt. A strange sense of self-conciousness ran through Lari's spine as he tried to grasp the fact that he had been sleeping on it's branch not even a day ago.

Then he remembered what he'd come for and stepped closer to the uprooted tree. For an hour, he turned dead twigs, branches and leaves. For an hour he tried to catch any marks. For an hour he tried to spot any burnt arrows in the ashes. But it all came to nothing. Deeply puzzled, and a sense of anxiety overtook him. He again searched all the area surrounding the fallen tree but couldn't find a single clue as to his missing weapons. Nervous and tired he fell down on the grass and tried to think calmly, about any other possibilities.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Tygarya » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:51 am

Kitty was wandering down to the stream for water when she stopped suddenly at the sound of someone playing pipes. She stalked closer to see Fiona and leant against a tree to listen and not disturb. It was a mournful tune and brought dark thoughts close to the surface. Kitty closed her eyes to fight the memories just as the tune came to an end. Opening her eyes once more she saw Fiona quietly berating her pony. Kitty laughed.
"I thought you were going to give her a bath, she is filthy."

"I did," Fionavar countered sourly.

Kitty just formed an "o" with her lips and smiled as if she knew something. She watched as Robin called out saying food was ready and smiled at Fiona as she passed by heading back to camp.

Kitty walked down to the stream and crouched by the water’s edge, taking her flask and filling it with the fresh clear water. She was staring into the swirling water lost in her thoughts and did not notice the great eagle step round a large tree and ruffle its feathers as Robin came down to see him and get water also.
Kitty started and stood up backing away from the eagle, keeping her head down, almost shyly. Robin approaching from behind called out to Kitty and grinned in greeting then he frowned as he reached Kitty seeing her face. He looked with worry from Gwaeryn and back to Kitty, and then he grinned again.
“It’s okay Kitty, Gwaeryn is okay, I know you haven’t meet properly but we can take care of that” Robin said cheerfully extending a hand out to mean that Kitty should approach the great eagle.
Kitty shook her head and looked at the ground; she shuffled round the hobbit and stepped to walk away.
“What’s wrong” Robin asked
Kitty looked at Robin with a look of total abhorrence and he knew that it was aimed not at Gwaeryn but at Kitty herself.
“I fear I am not worthy of knowing such a magical creature” Kitty said shaking her head again. “In fact I know I’m not”
Kitty turned her back then and walked away, not towards camp but instead she veered off slightly and wandered off in the direction of the road.
Robin looked after her not knowing what to say for a moment until she was out of sight and then turned and made his way over to Gwinhir who had been watching solemnly. “That one is greatly troubled, look out for her” was all he said.

Kitty wandered almost to the road and sat down on the trunk of a fallen tree, she wished her flask was full of wine and not water. She wrapped her cloak around herself against a chill that was not there and shut her eyes again, squeezing them tightly shut trying to ward off the ghosts and nightmares that once again threatened to burst through.
She wasn’t sure how long she sat there for until she heard the sounds of someone approaching. She opened her eyes and blinked at the sudden glare of the sun streaming in through the leaves of the trees. She wondered who it was but didn’t have the strength to turn her head to look. Instead she slipped off the log and tried to hide behind it instead by sitting on the ground and resting her back against the log instead.
“I have seen you already you know” Ar’s voice rings out from right behind her as he leans over the log, resting his arms on it, right above her head.
Kitty tilts her head back and looks back at him from a ridiculous angle, and pokes her tongue out at him. Ar laughs, an unfamiliar but pleasant sound Kitty thinks to herself. He then vaults over the log and is suddenly sitting beside her, his back against the log and his legs stretched out in front of him, his ankles casually crossed.
“Robin said you had walked this way” Ar said then, a curious tone to his voice.
“Did he also tell you he wanted to introduce me to the eagle?” Kitty muttered picking at a loose thread on her cloak.
“No” Ar answered “So?”
“So what?”
“So did you…formally meet the eagle?”
Kitty turned toward Ar, rolling onto the side of her hip and curling her legs up underneath her,she regarded him for a moment. Ar looked back meeting her gaze.
“Why do I get the feeling you already know the answer?” Kitty quizzed him sardonically.
Ar smirked slightly and shrugged, then looked down at his hands a moment.
Kitty watched Ar’s hands as he steepled them, neither of them spoke for a few minutes.

“I don’t think I can do this” Kitty said suddenly looking up at Ar as he raised his eyes to meet hers, his face was serious.
“You have no choice, you must”
Tears sprang up in Kitty’s eyes then, but Ar turned toward her placing his hands on her shoulders and gripping her tightly.
“No, you must not cry, you must stay strong. Do not let history get the better of you”
Kitty shook her head closing her eyes.
When she opened them again the moment had passed, she looked at Ar and he smiled, letting go of her shoulders
“Good girl” he said simply but kept the eye contact.
“Why are you always the one that seems to be there when I need it” Kitty asked softly.
Ar frowned and looked away, “I don’t know”

Just then Daniel appeared round the edge of the mangled root structure of the fallen tree.
“Oh funny I should find you two together” he said, not bothering to hide his comtempt.
Kitty was still looking at Ar’s face and caught the small quick smile that crossed his lips at that remark before he glanced up at Daniel.
Kitty looked at Daniel and watched him stroll along the length of the fallen tree and come to a stop in front of them.
“Is there something you actually want?” Kitty asked then glaring up at Daniel.
“Just checking you’re still here, and to let you know that Fiona is looking for you, something about your hand” Daniel answers as he looks around.
“You better go and let her look at it” Ar says to Kitty, but not looking away from Daniel’s face as he slowly stands to face him.
Daniel watches Ar stand up and they hold each other’s gaze.
Kitty unfurls her legs and stands up looking from Ar to Daniel and back. She grins.
“You boys will play nice while I’m gone” she says with a laugh and wanders off in the direction that Daniel had come from leaving the two men alone.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Eilathen observed Katherine as she walked away... she would break if she did not learn to bend a little. Aramir was almost on step with her following from wherever he had come and within moments Daniel, frowning and furious, stomped his way through the place where the other two had gone. Whether the young man was in love and jealous or just wanting someone he could not have and jealous of what Aramir and Katherine had together, Eilathen would not try to guess at. However he did not need to guess what was going to happen if Katherine decided to leave the two of them alone after giving them incentive to fight, which she would do. She probably wanted their attention even if she did not know it; it helped her keep the fear at bay.

Sighing he followed into the men's footsteps... He did not really need to try to hear them; Daniel at least was not even trying to hide his arrival. If he cared to listen the young man would have heard interesting things...
“No, you must not cry, you must stay strong. Do not let history get the better of you” Eilathen recognized Aramir's voice and found himself shaking his head. Yes two children fighting to not acknowledge a past that could break them.
He remained silent... and stopped as Daniel burst into the clearing where Aramir and Katherine were. She was really bringing these two against one another. Whether she did on purpose or not was irrelevant. The two men could ally to help her through this challenging time instead of being played against each other.

Katherine walked away passing a few paces away from where he stood and not paying attention to him; she probably noticed him. She was a hunter for lack of a better word but he was not one prey she was interested in. As she stepped closer to the camp site, he moved towards the clearing where the two men were facing each other, Daniel glaring and furious, Aramir not showing much emotion. If his comment to Katherine was anything to go by he was one who rarely shared much. Geli seemed to be the only one bringing out the lightheartedness he had buried deep within.

For a moment he did not move waiting to see what would play between the two men; the question remained to see whether having an audience - for both would probably notice sooner than later - would prevent what had been brewing for longer than even Eilathen knew.

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby ^Aramir^ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Daniel folded his arms over his chest as Kitty’s footsteps faded away. “She must appear before the king at Minas Tirith,” he said sternly, with just a hint of derision. “You aren’t jeopardizing my mission by any chance, are you?” His tone left it clear that he already knew the answer, or so he thought.

“You seem to have missed the part where I told her she had to go,” Aramir answered, raising his voice enough to be heard over a gust of wind, the remains of the storm sent to dry their soaked supplies one powerful blast of air at a time.

“What are you doing here?” Daniel continued, as though he had not heard Aramir’s response.

The young man shrugged. “Got lost looking for some of my things. I’m terrible with directions, you know; it’s a nightmare some days…” He glanced about curiously as if only just realizing where he was.

Daniel was having none of it. “I mean here, with this company. They’re all going for the celebration; it’s practically all anyone talks about. On the road, over meals.. Gondor this and friends and relatives that, as if it were the only place worth going. You,” he jabbed a finger in Aramir’s direction, “haven’t said a word about it. Not one. Not even to the jester or to Fiona.”

Aramir’s eyes widened and then narrowed, and then he smiled because it seemed better than admitting that Daniel was right. Not outright, at least. Instead, he said, “You’re more observant than you seem, I’ll grant you that.”

“So I’m right, then?”

“That depends on what you think.” This time he narrowed his eyes deliberately and assumed Daniel’s stance, arms crossed over his chest, facing his soldier-twin. “If you suppose I am here to sabotage your mission or some such thing, you could not be further from the truth. I travel with this company for the same reason as anyone else, I suppose -- convenience, companionship, you might even say a sense of duty to protect some of them after they did me a service.” There was no point in telling Daniel the embarrassing purple-poison story, so he continued. “I have no interest in preventing Kitty from reaching Gondor, nor any of the rest of this company, for that matter.”

“You claim to sympathize with me--”

“--not with you. I only said I would not get in your way. For now, at least.”

“--and yet you are the one she confides in. Why is that, Aramir?”

Hearing his name on Daniel’s lips was unsettling, like being challenged by a superior officer. No, more like an equal, one who aspired to higher rank but for now could only shift his tone of voice and hope doing so made him sound more important than he actually was.

As to the question...

“I don’t know,” he answered honestly. Kitty’s willingness to open herself to him, even briefly, still baffled him. “I certainly would not choose myself as a confidant given the choices here.” He peered at Daniel. “Perhaps you wish she had chosen you?”

“Getting her to Gondor is my assignment,” Daniel scoffed. “I don’t need to hear her life story to do so.”

Anger flared up inside of Aramir to hear Daniel dismiss, even unwittingly, Kitty’s lifetime of pain and suffering. “Perhaps you do,” he hissed, struggling madly against the urge to raise a hand, a weapon, anything at all against Daniel. “It might change your mind.” What did Daniel know about the lingering terror of the past? No doubt his nightmares were filled with such horrors as substandard food, and uncomfortable bed, no servants to cater to his needs or comrades to bolster his vanity.

“Unlikely,” the soldier snorted, waving his hand. He glanced at their surroundings a moment, thinking, then turned his piercing eyes back to Aramir. “She isn’t the only one with a past, after all.”

The urge to fight vanished and was instantly replaced by a desperate need to escape as quickly as possible. He can’t know, Aramir thought, over and over as he focused on not letting his feet take control of the rest of his body. He’s only trying to bait you. Calm down. He wants you to tell him something.

Daniel wasn’t jealous; not emotionally, anyway. He was strategically outmaneuvered and he knew it. Aramir had more information than he did, both about Kitty and of course about himself. It was a game of cards and Aramir had seen another player’s hand, and that bothered Daniel, especially because he obviously did not believe that his rival was not actively working against him. It was Daniel’s mission, yet Aramir had received special intelligence nonetheless. He’s just trying to make you feel the same way, Aramir told himself.

Unfortunately, it was working, and it must have been visible on Aramir’s face, because Daniel’s eyes now evinced a glimmer of triumph. There was only thing Aramir could think to do, and that was to play the only card he had -- make Daniel think he had yet another piece of desirable information. He forced his expression into a sly smile, said, “No, I suppose not,” and turned to leave the clearing.
^Aramir^
Shield Bearer

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 am

Once again Kitty stepped up to her, holding out her hand.

"Your hand?" she eyed the thing like is was a foreign artifact, "Is there some further damage that it has taken?"

Kitty looked back to Daniel and smirked, "no, I think that the boys wanted to be rid of me." A slow laugh followed the words.

"It is good to hear you laugh again," Fionavar tried to think back to the last time she had heard Kitty laugh. There had been few times indeed that it happened at all. Standing and slapping the dirt from her clothing, she took a look around. "I would like to get a bit of distance between us and this place," her arms flailed in a circle. "As soon as I forget it, the better. I know that Caloo would agree." The pony just stared ahead, filthy once again.

"Are you ladies thinking that we could move forward a bit?" Robin had slipped up so quietly that Fionavar jumped when he spoke so softly. "Gwaeryn tells me there is a tidy cave not too far ahead with little rubbish from the storm to clear to reach it. I think it would be good for nights fall to have someplace more secure."

Kitty's ears literally twitched. "More secure?"

"Yes, there will many a scavenger out after a storm like this. We don't need to make it any easier for them, do we." It wasn't really a question, a simple fact.

"Robin, would you please gather everyone together and let them know we are moving to the cave? You can lead as Gwaeryn is giving you the directions." She turned to Kitty, "It must be nice to have a winged partner to keep an eye on things for you."

"It seems to me, you don't need winged creatures to keep eyes on you, Fiona." Kitty laughed again and began to collect her things.

The young lady looked around and found that not only was Lari looking at her, but Daniel and Aramir had stopped their bickering to now stare in her direction. Eilathen could be seen under the trees turned in her direction and Laesha not to far behind. Geli didn't seem too affected, but her head turned away as Fionavar tried to catch her eyes. The new visitors and Seldo seemed to be outright staring.

"What in all the seven hells, did I grow a new head in the last few moments?" Fionavar seemed gruff, but she was just more surprised than anything else. "Let's move out. Everyone follow Robin." As if broken by a trance, everyone started to move at the same time.

Pulling up Caloo, she walked next to Kitty, feeling a bit uncomfortable. Kitty was one that never put on airs. That was a safe place. "So what? Am I to call you Katherine now? Or should I curtsy when I approach?" After a moment, she laughed at herself. "The day has been long. Let's go."
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Among her many arts, Geli the Magnificent had never claimed to count stage whisper. Her habitat was a marketplace or a city square, and she pitched her voice accordingly. And so the company did not have to strain their ears to learn what weighty thought was wrinkling the jester's brow as she walked.

"Oh dear. I hope it won't end as in The Malcontent Dwarf," she said, as she skipped over a muddy puddle. She went on shaking her head and clucking her tongue until Laesha kindly inquired what the dwarf was so malcontent about.

"Maybe it was somnolent. Or ebullient," Geli mused. "In fact I don't think there were any dwarves at all. It is a thrilling and tragic tale of two men who fall in love with one woman, while she only falls in love with one of them, upon learning which the other man conceives a dastardly plot involving a poisoned weapon, only he stabs his beloved instead by accident, and then the other man kills him to avenge her, only he doesn't realize that this man he just killed is actually his long-lost brother, which he learns when this other young woman who was desperately in love with the freshly dead man rushes in to tell him about it, and then throws herself into the sea in sorrow, so the surviving brother has nothing else to do except to stab himself. It is a great play and a lesson to us all."

Geli stopped to take a breath, and found that quite a few eyes were now turned toward her. That was usually good news. However, certain of the party glared at her as if they felt that the play would be vastly improved by an extra death, if it was the jester's, and Laesha seemed rather distressed.

"You don't really think..." Laesha murmured with a discrete gesture toward the alleged dramatis personae.

The jester beat a hasty retreat. "No, no, not at all. I only said I hoped it wouldn't...no, if anything, we will have a hilarious story like The Chaste and Noble Knight, which, you may be surprised to learn, also involves two men courting the same woman, only they don't realize - no one ever realizes anything in those plays - that one of them is actually a long-lost sister of the other, who pretends to be a man in order...well, she had a reason."

"Oh, come, now," Fiona broke in. "You can't possibly suggest… a woman?"

"Well, I know Aramir isn't one," Geli replied blithely..
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby earendil81 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:13 am

"Oh dear. I hope it won't end as in The Malcontent Dwarf," the lovely jester said. Laesha bit her lips. What was that? She felt lacking... everyone seemed to know or at least they pretended to. She felt quite certain Eilathen would not know or would not express any interest in mortal stories; or maybe he did. She caught up with Geli and asked softly.

"Geli, what happens in the... Malcontent Dwarf??"

If she had hoped that the jester would not answer loudly that her ignorance may not be exposed well it went out the window; and yet as the story came tumbling out of the jester's mouth, almost too outrageous for her, any sense of shame disappeared. Maybe it was for the best she did not know it... she did not like sad stories and that was one even sadder than the one Eilathen mentioned on their first night out of of Rivendell. She whispered as she wondered if any of it could be true for what was unfolding in front of their eyes.

Geli reassured her before going into an even more tragic story; was it something street performers enjoyed? Scare their audience out of their wits? Or maybe it was about drama and keeping people on their toes, scared and excited about the outcome of some stories that was unlikely true... Yet she was glad when Fiona broke in
"Oh, come, now, you can't possibly suggest… a woman?"

Laesha's head snapped back to Geli; could it be?
"Well, I know Aramir isn't one."

And then she was no longer glad... She almost voiced the 'how' until something dawned on her and she blushed all right. She did not even realize her hands had come to her mouth to stifle a "oh". She threw a glance at Aramir and back to the jester whose smile was self satisfied though not one of bragging. And yet... She was not ignorant of these matters after all but that was not a thing that she had ever spoken out loud with strangers. In a moment she felt ignorant anew; she had not realized some members of the group were that... close? She was unsure what word she should put on it. It was one thing to go on an adventure and hope to meet a husband who would properly take care of her when she needed it quite another to talk of out of wedlock relationship. And was it right? Was it right to judge? Not judge just thinking about it?

Thankfully someone broke the awkward silence - or maybe it was only awkward for her...

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:49 pm

There were birds swarming around the home Radagast had founded under the eaves of Fangorn Forest. Birds coming to tell their tale and then leave. A thrush had landed on his shoulder and told him very interesting news. He came out and looked west, shading his eyes, and smiled. In the distance was a small dot, but he could see it was much larger. The hint of a Great Eagle, the last in Middle Earth.

Gwaeryn had not visited Fangorn Forest, or seen the brown wizard since the War. He was scouting the area, Robin on his back, He looked around Isengard and the tower of Orthanc, seeing if Treebeard or his Ents were about. He thought he saw the wizard looking at him. He wheeled and went back to report to his friends on the journey.

Radagast laughed to himself. "Treebeard! Treebeard!" he called.

"Hoom, Brown Wizard Radagast, what can I do for you?" said Treebeard.

"It appears we have company, and if I don't miss my guess, we'll have guests shortly. I saw a Great Eagle looking over the land and heading back west. The last of them. I heard of him, how he had remained behind. We must prepare for guests."

"Hoom! I will see to it, Radagast. Like him, you are the last to remain."

"Other than the two Blue Wizards, the Ithryn Luin, but I haven't heard from them in ages. If only I could hear from them, we could find your Entwives."

Treebeard sadly shook his head.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tygarya » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:56 am

Daniel jumped up on his horse and adjusted his sword at his hip, he glanced briefly over at Kitty who was next to Fiona, and then to Ar. His eyes squinted in thought as he was taken back to their last conversation. What Ar had said had not passed unnoticed by his ears, as much as he made it look like it had.
Perhaps you do….it might change your mind

What did that mean? Daniel pondered on this for most of the trip, he knew Kitty was a basic criminal, cut throat, thief, his father had even said the word assassin, which startled him every time he looked at Kitty.
He glanced at her now, he was travelling behind and slightly to the right so could look at her without her – or anyone else – noticing. She was a very striking young woman, the unusual auburn hair that seemed to have a life essence of its own the way it shone when the sun hit it. She nearly always wore it pulled back in a braid or a ponytail, but when it was down Daniel had often found himself staring. Her green eyes were hard though, he thought about what sort of things she had possibly seen in her few years. Was that what Ar meant…..no, the way he said it, with such rising anger, it had to mean more than that. What had happened to her?
Daniel was now determined to find out.
---------------

Kitty was staring at Fiona with a look of disgust on her face at Fiona’s last question.
"So what? Am I to call you Katherine now? Or should I curtsy when I approach?" After a moment, she laughed at herself. "The day has been long. Let's go."
Kitty muttered simply in answer, “There is no Katherine, she is dead”
Fiona glanced back at Kitty as they moved out. “Sorry I was only teasing”
“Well don’t” Kitty said quietly, looking haunted. “You have no idea”
“So give me an idea” Fiona said, straightening her shoulders and looking at Kitty with her full attention. “Please?”
The look Kitty gave Fiona, gave her goosebumps and she wished she had not asked.
Then suddenly Kitty smiled, it wasn’t a cheerful smile, and did not reach her eyes, which still looked haunted, but it was a smile of understanding.
“I couldn’t possibly lay my story on your shoulders, you are not strong enough, what happened to you the other night in the stable, was more than you could bear, I know, I see it in your face even now. You have not yet come to terms with what happened to you, or nearly happened to you, the implications give you nightmares. I am not going to add to those nightmares. Do not ask this of me again Fiona, I beg you.” Kitty looked down at her hands. “I’m sorry, I just can’t”
Kitty turned the head of her horse then and made her way to the back of the travelling party, leaving Fiona quiet in her own thoughts.
Kitty passed by the supply wagon which Seldo and Lari were sitting in. Kitty swung her horse round and came in step with the wagon, letting go of the reins and squeezing her knees around her horses stomach, she leant down off her horse and started rummaging around until she found a bottle of red wine. Grinning at the pair watching her she swung back up onto her horses back, grabbed the cork in her teeth pulled it out and blew it out of her mouth back into the back of the wagon and took a long swig of the wine, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand after.
She looked up and saw Ar looking back over his shoulder at her, then at Fiona, then back to her. Kitty shrugged and took another swig of the wine as Ar emotionless as always turned back to the road ahead. Kitty hated that he always seemed to know when things were troubling her, what was it about him…..he had said he would tell her his story one day…she was beginning to think he had lied to her….and that annoyed her.
She shook her head slighty and became aware of Geli’s conversation, she caught just the tail end of it but got the jist of what was being implied as Fiona chimed in on the conversation also.
"Oh, come, now," Fiona broke in. "You can't possibly suggest… a woman?"

"Well, I know Aramir isn't one," Geli replied blithely

Kitty laughed. A loud musical laugh that made most in the party look at her.
“Perhaps Daniel can prove it to us all later” Kitty called out, making Daniel go red, but he just put his head down as Kitty took another long draft of wine.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Lari tagged along with the company, trudging far behind at the rear. His hood was up again, nearly hiding the rises and falls of his facial muscles beneath shadows. A way to conceal his emotions.
For right now his mind was dark and saturnine. In the end, he could not find any sign of his arrows or bow. THE bow.
Very few tokens of remembrance he had as it is of his home and family, and that too lost. And even more than that, he was quite impotent without a bow. How would he make his fill once he leaves this company? For daggers most certainly were never made for hunts! Even the thought of leeching upon this merry band was exasperating...

...Slowly but steadily, the uneasiness, the despondency, the chagrin kept turning to anger. An anger that kept building up in him. The anger which makes men go blind, so they refuse to see a simple truth for the sentiments of a twisted mind.
He looked forward and saw.
He saw everyone laughing, talking, smiling. carelessly. Incessantly. The sight was sickening.

Why was everyone so happy? Did they really ever pay any attention towards him? Or even Haefa? Was he merely another tool for them? A tool for hunting, tracking and rescuing ponies when they disappear? He recalled he indeed had asked the others to search for his weapons before he went for Caloo. He put his kingdom's legacy, his father's sign at stake to find one anonymous pony. And how hard did they look for them? Or did they even cared to search at all?

The more he thought about it, the more the idea of abandoning the Bow of Greenwood seemed farcical to him. And that he was was sliding deeper and deeper into the blindness of anger, did no help his situation either. He had to do something.

And quite clearly to him, there were only two choices. To go with these people or go back to the desolated spot they camped. And the latter seemed far more reasonable ... and pleasant. For the moment at least.

He abruptly halted his steed and let out a shrill whistle. Everyone stopped on their tracks and turned towards Lari.
His face was blank but grim at the same time, with a set of steely eyes gazing widely at nothing.

"I cannot go on." He started in as cold a manner as he could. " I have yet to find my bow. I am heading back to our spot. Hopefully we shall meet again. if not, namárië."

With no more words nor any expression of gratitude, he turned and was gone, blending into just another shadow among the infinite shapes moving along the forest ambit.

"But the forest is enchanted!" Robin cried aloud after him. "The Ents and Huorns are all around these parts! You may get into trouble with them, and then you won't even have to go two steps!"

"Lari!" Fiona shouted out, worried. "Come back! Sidhlarion Valenar!"

But Lari or Haefa or the sound of her hooves were no longer audible.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Tygarya » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Kitty came to a sudden halt. Her horse stiffened his forelegs at the sudden sharp yank on his reins and pawed at the ground annoyed. Kitty sat staring ahead at the forest that was starting to loom up in front of the travelling company as they approached the Gap of Rohan and the ruins of Isengard beyond. She turned in her saddle and looked around the expanse of open ground they were travelling across, then to the river on their right, then turned slowly back to stare at the forest of Ents that had taken over Isengard.
By this time the travellers had all noticed that Kitty had stopped and had also slowly come to stop and were milling around. Daniel called out to Kitty.
“What’s the hold up?” he said a bit gruffly.
Ar looked over at him and noticed Daniel seemed very tense, like he was expecting Kitty to bolt at any moment. Ar suddenly realised what this was all about and grumbled to himself about the unfairness of situations thrust on people ill-equipped to deal with them.
Kitty had looked up and was scowling at the whole company.
“Where exactly do you lot think you’re going?”
Most of the group turned to Fiona for the answer. As Kitty suspected, not many of this group seemed to really know anything of where they were going, just as long as the destination was Gondor.
Fiona spurred her horse to a walk heading back towards Kitty.
“What’s the problem Kitty?”
“That is the problem!” Kitty said in disgust waving her hand to the horizon and the forest looming up on it. “You do know the rumours about who lives there don’t you?”
Fiona looked around at the rest of the travellers with a perplexed look on her face not understanding Kitty’s outburst. She glanced at Ar briefly with a ‘help’ expression. Ar sighed but moved his horse back towards Kitty and Fiona, causing Daniel to spur his horse to follow. Ar looked over his shoulder at Daniel with a questioning look. Daniel just shrugged and grinned at him.
Fiona had returned to look at Kitty and was talking to her.
“If you mean TreeBeard, well I’m sure he isn’t interested in a few travellers passing by, although it might be quite nice to meet him.”
Kitty stared at Fiona as if she was a raging lunatic. “What! TreeBeard? I don’t give two hoots about some stupid tree that can talk. I’m talking about that bloody manipulating wizard!”
“Radagast” Ar said quietly as he came up.
“Oh I get it now” Daniel said with a chuckle, but was silenced by the murderous look Ar suddenly gave him.
“Kitty we don’t even know if he’s at home, or where exactly his home is” Ar said then. “I’m sure it will be fine, we won’t even run into him.”
“It really doesn’t matter one way or the other, cause we have to go through the Gap and into Rohan to get to Minas Tirith.” Daniel interrupted.
Fiona was still confused. “Can someone please explain what is going on?”
Kitty looked from Ar, to Daniel, to Fiona.
“That meddlesome wizard ruined my life!” Kitty said then “If I see him again….”
“Actually he made you, along with the King, a free woman, from what I hear and a wealthy one” Daniel said smugly pausing for dramatic effect. “Just as soon as you get to Minas Tirith that is”
Kitty turned to Daniel, her face murderous. Ar stepped his horse up to block Kitty’s view of Daniel, which caused Daniels horse to rear back. Daniel cursed as he fought to get his horse back under control.
“Not here Kitty” Ar said warningly, knowing she didn’t really want her secrets to come out this way. “We have to go through the Gap and past Isengard, Daniel’s right on that”
“Excuse me!” Fiona said indignantly. “Am I invisible!”
Kitty seemed to suddenly compose herself, staring at Ar she sat up and rolled her shoulders back. She turned to Fiona.
“Sorry Fiona, it’s just that I have some very unfinished business with that meddlesome wizard, so let’s all just hope we don’t bump into him and we move through to Helms Deep and the plains of Rohan quickly.”
Fiona smiled wanely at Kitty. “Okay then” she replied, but then Daniel piped up again.
“Actually the ruins would be a great place to stop for the night” He seemed to be taking great joy in making Kitty uncomfortable. Ar looked at him again with another murderous look.
Daniel met his gaze. “You have to admit it would be the perfect place for shelter.”
“Yes it actually would” Fiona piped up before Ar could answer. “Come on Kitty, I’m sure everything will be okay, why don’t we go set up camp and you and me can have a wee chat over some wine perhaps?”
Kitty looked at Fiona with a grin slowly spreading across her face. “You and me…drinking?”
“Why not?” Fiona replied
Kitty laughed, her musical laugh that seemed to vibrate through the still air around them. “Why not indeed!”
Kitty moved her horse up to Caloo and grabbed Fiona around the shoulders, causing Kitty’s horse and Caloo to bump rumps. Caloo stumbled sideways a little away from the large black charger and snorted, causing Kitty to let go of Fiona so she didn’t fall off. Kitty’s horse snorted back. Kitty laughed again. “I don’t think they like each other” Fiona patted Caloo’s neck and they both proceeded to walk their horses back to the waiting group.
Daniel was still milling around on his dancing charger watching Kitty with a look of wonder. He glanced at Ar.
“What just happened there?”
Ar shrugged and rubbed his eyes. “She is as mercurial as the weather, but you don’t need to keep trying to get a rise out of her the way you do.”
It was Daniel’s turn to shrug, but the look he gave to Kitty made Ar finally see the truth of the situation causing Ar to laugh suddenly.
“What?” Daniel asked perplexed.
“You’re in love with her” Ar announced matter-of-factly.
Daniel looked at him with wide incredulous eyes. “I certainly am NOT!” he yelled in a panicky squeaky voice. He then spurred his horse with a jab in the ribs with his boots to suddenly lurch forward and gallop off. “Ridiculous!” Was the last word Ar heard beyond the sound of galloping hooves.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Lari stopped Haefa as they came across an open glade. It had suddenly just sprung out of nowhere in what seemed to be a dense forest.

After a rest for a few moments Lari sprung back on his mate and passed into the other side of the woods. It was confusing, for Lari knew they never came this way. Besides he did make it sure that he would not get lost in the forest, as he had left markings.Determined more than ever to either go this way or that. They got along at a fair speed, though whenever they got a glimpse of the sun through the thick canopy of branches, they seemed unaccountably to have veered eastwards.

Very soon, he caught hint of a familiar road. The path there that had brought them to Isengard reappeared on the northward side; but he had not followed it far before he was aware that it was bending steadily to the right.
But after a time the trees began to close in again, just where they had appeared from a distance to be thinner and less tangled. Then unexpectedly he saw deep folds in the ground, folds like the sunken roads long disused and choked with thorny bushes. These lay usually right across his line of march, and he could only have crossed it by scrambling down and out again. But it was troublesome and difficult with Haefa there with him. Each time he climbed down he found the hollow filled with thick bushes and matted undergrowth, which somehow would not give way to the left, but only gave way when they turned to the right; and he had to go some distance along the bottom before he could find a way up the further bank. Each time he climbed out, the trees seemed deeper and darker; and always to the left and upwards it was most difficult to find a way.

After an hour or two he had lost all clear sense of direction, though he knew well enough that he had long ceased to go northward - towards their campsite - at all. He was being headed off, and was simply following a course chosen for him – eastwards and southwards, into the heart of the Forest. A couple of more hours went by as the day came to an end and night fell. But Lari was overcome with thirst by then. He needed water...water and food. Where would he get food in this dark, dank forest? He doesn't even have a bow or his arrows.

Hours and hours went by and he always came back to the markings he had left as markings, he was going in circles no doubt.
He continued moving, slowly but steadily despair and loneliness encroaching his heart. He was a good tracker, he atleast believed so, but how could he get lost on such a simple forest? There was no chance of that unless the roads themselves changed frequently.

Roads? changed!? By Valar, what was I thinking? Of course, Isengard is nearby. The wood of Fangorn is nearby! The forest is supposed to be full of ... walking trees ... and Ents. By Valar! How did I forget? Adh i eryn!

Excitement and curiousness got the better of the sluggishness building within him, and he led Haefa to a full gallop across the woods. Lari looked up and around to see any Ents. But there were none. Even though he could hear the rumbling, the noise. Suddenly indistinguishable words - a-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burúme - shot out from the deeps of the wood.
Enchanted, he turned to ride through and into the heart of the forest. To meet the Ents if he could. But as he delved deeper into the thick of things, suddenly began to feel very hot. There were armies of flies of all kinds buzzing round his ears.
The ride continued and at long last he finally came into a thin shade; great grey branches reached across the path. But taking each step forward was becoming more and more difficult from the last. Sleepiness seemed to be creeping out of the ground and up his reluctant legs, and falling softly out of the air upon their heads and eyes.

He caught the sense of a sweet smell. It was pleasant...pleasant and repulsive at the same moment. But Lari felt his chin go down and his head nod involuntarily . And then Haefa could not bear him any longer and with a cry she fell unto her knees. Lari followed suit and dropped down from Haefa and walked along as steadily as he could, towards the distant tree-shade he could see. But it turned out to be a greatly difficult task, for while he may be young but he was an Elf. And he felt the presence of a stronger power. A much stronger power. But to his dismay and concern, his eyelids continued to shut out the view as many times as he opened them to look. He staggered, stumbled and finally fell flat on the ground with the night-sky in his direct view. And there he finally gave up all his efforts. Slowly, very slowly his eyelids dropped until they were completely closed.

The last thing he could remember were two eyes looking into his eyes.... and those eyes had wells behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; and their surface was sparkling with the present.
"Oh Elbereth! help me..." he gasped and was lost.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Some flutes playing...beautiful sombre music...somewhere someplace, a gathering in a forest...autumn leaves...Elves.....and there sat the King...the Wooden crown upon his head...Thrond! Thrond lay on his lap!....The King called out a name. Another elf comes forward...says something and bows...can't hear. Why am I so far from that place, and so high?.....The talk goes on and on....the picture fades just after the King presents the Elf with Thrond....Turns to dark. Black sky, moonless......Screams! Shouts! The forest is burning.... The sky faded to red.....Lari is sleeping in a tent......A dark figure stealthily crepts in....reveals a bloodied dagger.....and plunges it into him!!!

With a cry Lari sat up, but he bumped his head into something and again fell down. And then he realized that he was on some kind of a bed. He carefully sat up. It was a branch that he had ht his head earlier on. A thick branch that somehow had crept into this...this house, and was currently holding a lamp.
He looked around.
It was a wooden house. But a house of wood would be more accurate.
The timber was of different shades of brown and grey, and were of varying shapes. Some fitting together like a jigsaw. He could see some vines that had made their way into the rounded thatched roof also.
To the left wall of the house, there was a long platform holding up all sorts of chemicals, powders, instruments and whatnot. At the centre of this house was a low, wooden table and a few stools. Broken and rickety they appeared. But once Lari tried them, he knew they were much stronger than their deceiving looks. It was no small house by any chance. And taking into account the location, it was enormous.
At first, he did not notice it, but as he regained consciousness he started observe all the flora and fauna in and around the house. A few white mice ran past his foot as he tried exploring the corners of the house. He also found a couple of beetles scuttling around on the top-shelf of an open cup-board.And then the Chameleon just on the front-porch, and the owl at the roof-top or the fox, he could see through the round window, taking a drink of water from the pond just beside this cottage. Sparrows, lizards, finches, grasshoppers and many a different life-forms he came across.

But for some strange reason he was completely enamored with the whimsicality of the place and he forgot for the moment, his past, present and future.
Which is why he did not see the old, wizened figure as he came into the cottage.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 pm

The wizard regarded Lari for some time. He was dressed in brown, was slender, and looked like he fit among all this greenery and the animals and birds. He carried a staff which he leaned on.

"Welcome to my humble abode, Lari." he said. "Radagast is my name, Radagast the Brown. But then, you know the name, we've met before, a long time ago. You've had a rough time, I see. I'm surprised Treebeard let you blunder into the Huorn wood. At least Quickbeam was there to pull you out. Many go among the Huorns and never return. You are fortunate indeed. He's the one who brought you to me.

He rummaged around the table, mixing several herbs, pounding them into powder, then pouring them into a cup which he mixed with some spring water that was falling outside. He brought it back in. "Here, drink this. It'll make you feel better. So what brings you here?"

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)