The Expected Party!!

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 am

As Gwaeryn soared above the party going to Tharbad, Robin said "Well, it looks like we need not have worried. Geli and Dust look well and unharmed."

The Eagle frowned. "Aye, but there is more that they did not tell, or Dust tried to tell. Their companions have the look of ruffians and bandits. I could swear that they did not accompany them willingly."

"You really think so, Gwaeryn? Though you may be right. I didn't like the way they looked at you, especially that other man, the one with the red hair."

"No I didn't like it at all. I had best stay above them and watch. I don't trust them. Though Geli's spirit cannot be defeated by the worst of them."

They flew on in silence. Robin could see that the Eagle was preoccupied by something else, and a sorrow was upon him that even the hobbit couldn't shake. And he was right.

Gwaeryn's mind was on the Elf in Tharbad. The two were of the last of their kind remaining, and of course he was the last of his kind. There was a peculiar bond between them, which somewhat eased his deep loneliness. And the realization came to him, the feeling was strong. When Eilathen at last wearied of Middle-Earth and departed for the west, it would not be a ship, no matter how fair, who would bear him across the sea to his true home.

Instead, he would be borne on the wings of the Last Eagle, who would also take his leave to his own true home in the eyries of Taniquetil, where Thorondor and his kin awated him. He felt sorry for Robin, who would be left behind, parted from this friendship that they shared, but he hoped the hobbit would find new companions and adventures, though he would be denied the skies.

But that was still in the future. For now, he remained, though his heart was elsewhere.

Happy New Year!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby shaggydog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am

Bril slouched back on his elbows, remembering only just in time that Fiona had said something about belching loudly in company not being good manners. He wasn’t completely sure what “company” meant, and whether he was in it. But surveying the now rather large group they were traveling with, he decided to err on the side of caution, and not embarrass Fiona.

The evening meal had been excellent. Fiona, Robin and Selene had joined forces to magically transform the deer, which Bril had scouted and Ar had brought down with an arrow, into a veritable feast fit for that guy down in that big city himself. Bril scratched his head, and then his ear, but . . . no, the name still escaped him. Well, whoever he was, Bril was sure he had not dined as well as they had this night. Earlier, he had been slightly put out by Fiona’s gentle suggestion that perhaps venison skewered with just one arrow might be easier to deal with than venison mauled by a wolf. But hunting with Ar had proven to be a bit fun. Bril had even considered mentioning the night he had trailed him into the forest, just to sort of show off his superior tracking skills. But then he remembered that Fiona had also said that bragging wasn’t good manners either. So he had let it go, for now.

The day had been a good one. The weather was perfect, a warm spring sun shining down through the half grown leaves of the trees arching over the road. Having a wagon along had not really slowed them much – they were used to walking at a comfortable pace anyway. Bril had had ample opportunity to leap off into the underbrush whenever he heard or smelled something intriguing, which was about every ten minutes. This had in turn allowed Fiona the chance to chat with their new friends, and the old ones as well, without having to stop and explain things to Bril every other sentence. Dinner had seen them reunited and they now sat companionably together, feet to the fire, listening to the others chattering away around them.

Bril stretched and let his arm come to rest around Fiona’s shoulders. Leaning in a bit closer, he asked, “Happy to be sleeping under the stars again?”

She replied with a contented sigh, moving closer to his side and resting her head on his shoulder. “Yes, I am.” She said simply. “I’m glad to be gone from Tharbad. Glad to be heading south again.” She looked up at him. “What about you? Did you catch any squirrels today?”

At that moment, Selene plopped down on his other side. Tucking her legs up under her, but with her dainty ankles and feet peeping out from under her colorful skirt, she said breezily, “I know a great recipe for squirrel stew. If you catch some for me tomorrow, Bril, I’ll make some for you.”
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tygarya » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:36 am

in retrospect

Daniel was immersed in the enjoyment of the view of Selene’s low cut blouse from his vantage point upon his horse when he heard Kitty talking.

“There is a horse in the stable that needs to be harnessed to a wagon who’s going to help?” She asked the group so far.

Daniel was off his horse in seconds and removing his military style blue jacket.
“Of course I’ll help you Kitty” Daniel replied like Kitty had asked him alone.

Kitty smiled a satisfied smirk. “I didn’t say you would be helping me. Rog is waiting in the stables for you”

Kitty’s manner was dismissive and she moved away with Daniel’s father to discuss the supplies he had brought with them. Fiona, Bril and Selene were all chatting happily not picking up on the affront Daniel was feeling.
Stuffing his hands in his pockets he shuffled off into the stables.

He was just walking past a stall when someone popped their head up nearly giving him a small heart attack.
Daniel stared at the elf, taking in the muddled hair and unkempt attire. Daniel couldn’t help but sneer. As the man asked stupid questions Daniel looked off around the stables with disinterest and saw an elderly man towards the back strapping a bay mare to a wagon. So that was Rog – so who was this??

Not that Daniel really cared and muttered some reply. He was just about to turn his back on the man and walk out of the stables again judging for himself that Rog had almost finished the job at hand anyway. Daniel made a lurid remark to spark the man and turned to leave, just as the man mentioned Kitty.

This sparked Daniels interest immediately. And he reappraised the elf standing before him.
Aramir it seemed was familiar with Kitty, no worries he didn’t look like too much competition, but who was this Gwinhir? Daniel decided he had better get outside and find out.

As Daniel made his way back to where the group was beginning to gather he noticed a few more had added to the numbers. He looked back again at the elf named Aramir when he heard Kitty’s musical voice say good morning to him in a very friendly manner. When he heard Aramir reply and realised the elf was also acquainted to his father Daniel actually scowled.
Could things get any worse, he muttered to himself.

Just then Gwinhir and Gilmith appeared in the doorway of the Inn. Daniel grinned as he looked at Gilmith looking very pretty in a blue gown, her black hair up and looking for the entire world like a princess travelling with her servants. Daniel swept up to her and took her hand. Bowing he kissed her hand gently.

“My Lady, I am Daniel Larmis and I have the tremendous joy of accompanying you on this trip to Gondor. May I ask of you your name?” Daniel smiled as he saw Gilmith smile appreciatingly, he could see she was somewhat used to formality and pomp and loved it.

“My name is Gilmith and this is my brother Gwinhir.” Gilmith said as Daniel become aware of a body looming over him and Gilmith. As Daniel straightened he looked at the man whose name he already knew. A little older than himself he looked like definite competition for Kitty’s favour. Daniel gave him a look down his nose as he assessed his wealth and determined it wasn’t nearly as great as his own inheritance. He sniffed but offered his hand.

“Well meet Gwinhir” Daniel said stiffly.

Gwinhir replied with just as much pomp his back stiff.
“Indeed sir, your father Lord Larmis did not mention a son when we were in his house the other day.”

Again they know my father! Daniel scowled again but turned back to Gilmith and smiled, raking a hand through his hair.

“Ah well, he failed to mention that such a lovely maiden had visited our home to me either.”

A commotion sounded behind him then and Daniel turned to see the old man Rog leading out the supply horse with a black carriage and horse following along behind that.

“That must be yours?” Daniel said grinning at Gilmith.

Suddenly his father’s voice rang out across the yard making him wince.
“Daniel, come give us a hand to get these supplies on the wagon”

Daniel kissed Gilmith’s hand again then turning away he swaggered off to his father’s command.
Last edited by Tygarya on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:25 am

Fionavar took a mental count of the group. Seldo and Caloo, CR and Gwaeryn were airborne, Kitty, Ar and Daniel were accounted for. Selene, Bril and now Gwinhir and Gilmith were in attendance. Laesha with her traveling companion came through the door last.

"To the West gate, everyone at your own pace. We won't stop until this afternoon and I would like to put this particular scenery behind me. Are we ready?" The question garnered some nods, some hearty approvals and simply movement from others. The posh black carriage carrying the twins rolled out with Kitty, Ar and Daniel leading the group. Laesha and the mysterious elf came next. Seldo, Bril and Selene had waited to follow on foot.

"I'll take that," Fionavar indicated the simple handmade reins that fit comfortably on Caloo. "Thank you Seldo for taking such grand care of my silly mare. She looks better than she ever has." She winked at Selene while checking the pony's packs for her personal belongings and other needed supplies. Selene turned a sour face that only Fionavar noticed, but she shrugged it off.

"Now then, away my friends." She managed to loop an arm through Bril's crooked elbow and steered him in the right direction, without a look back to see if Selene was in fact following. When she heard a whispered overly gratuitous comment made to Seldo, who blushed to his roots, it confirmed that Selene would indeed be joining the group.

A call from overhead saw everyone craning necks to wave a good morning to Robin and Gwaeryn. Fionavar smiled broadly. The day was fine and there was only one thing that nagged at her. The nag had hardly time to settle, for when they marched through the west gate, there was the object of her concern.

"Geli!!" Fionavar could not contain her joy to see the pair and she embraced the juggler softly and quickly. "Dust!!" The bard backed away slightly and Fionavar settled for a clap on the back. "I was worried for the pair of you. I will expect a tale around the fire tonight.

Geli shook her curls and set off the tinkling of her tiny bells with a jaunty bow. "Well met Lady Fiona, we should disappear more often if we get a grand greeting like that on our return, right Dust?" Geli's smile was infectious and soon the group moved on companionably.

The morning worn on to afternoon and to early evening when all travelers gathered for an evening meal. A merry fire was started while Fionavar, Robin and Selene prepared what would be considered a feast from a deer and all the provisions that had been brought for the early part of the trek.

The first day out of Tharbad had gone so well that Fionavar relaxed and laid back into Bril's shoulder. Her attempt to have some light personal conversation was intruded upon by Selene.

"I know a great recipe for squirrel stew. If you catch some for me tomorrow, Bril, I'll make some for you." She threw a winning smile in the direction of the dire wolf.

"Sure thing, I mean if that is alright with you Fiona," Bril seemed to show a bit of caution after all, that was heartening.

"Any help around the campfire is always appreciated," Fionavar smiled sweetly at the serving girl. There was something about her that Fionavar was beginning to question, besides the fact that she was obviously trying to curry favor with Bril. She made a mental note to watch her and the advice of her father came to her at that moment. Keep your loved ones by your side and strangers away from your weapons

A call was made for some music and Fionavar happily agreed. She played her pipes while Geli danced for them, tumbling and twisting with the certainty of many years of practice. Dust played his hurdy gurdy to the delight of everyone and even Selene strutted her hips about the fire a few times. While the dark elf kept to the shadows, Laesha laughed and enjoyed the entertainment. Daniel seemed companionable, at the least he tapped his foot in time to the music while Kitty and Ar kept a wary eye out on the road.

As the night gathered in and a silence fell on the contented group, Fionavar approached Gwaeryn. "Master, I should like to sing a song for you and if you are so inclined, please join in." She looked hopefully to the giant eagle.

"It would be my pleasure to sing with you again, little Fiona. You start and I will follow."

The words had been flowing through her mind since the attack and she had to have a means to get them out. The melody was slightly dark, but as with all tunes that Fionavar sketched, it ended on a hopeful chord.

My eyes see the darkness
That dwells inside, the fear
My heart feels the sadness
That lasts from year to year.

Dry voices will call me
Pulling me from hearth and home
A sirens song will beckon
No matter where I fly or roam.

Soar on, proud heart
Our wings will touch the sky
Beat on, bright light
Our love will never die.

Before Fionavar could get her breath for the next verse, Gwaeryn took up the song.

We will not fear the darkness
Though it catches us unaware
We will not succumb to sadness
We think of what is fair.

Time will take us all
Pulling us onward above
But nothing will ever replace
The hearts of those we love.

Fionavar and Gwaeryn sang in unison.

Soar on proud heart
Our wings will touch the sky
Beat on, bright light
Our love will never die...
Our love will never die.

Fionavar stood close to Gwaeryn as a tear rolled down her porcelain cheek, his wing protected her from the night.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 am

The song touched Gwaeryn's heart. He knew Fiona was one who had awakened him to what he truly was, Sorontel, the Last Eagle, Bard and Loremaster for his kind, to keep in remembrance the days of old, when the sky was free, the Elves roamed the land, a time of glory and danger that was to pass away, leaving nothing but dim memories.

His sad eyes scanned his companions, taking in everything about them. He would not forget, and he looked hard to remember. He knew his days in Middle-Earth were numbered. As far as Gondor and the great festival, but longer? Only the Valar knew. As Fiona wept for the beauty of the song, he held her close with a wing.

He now raised his voice in a song. Melancholy, but with threads of hope in it:

A lonely people,
An empty nest,
What will become of the fledgelings when they leave the nest?
What will become of them when their elders depart?

For the Elder Kindred are leaving,
Leaving Middle-Earth behind,
And with them, the Eagles,
Guardians of the Sky,

For the time is come for those to depart,
To their home, their long home far in the West.
But what shall become of those left behind?
The sorrow of parting is coming,
It cannot be held back.

Bereft and lonely,
The days of old are fading,
And the Aftercomers, the Atani,
Are left to their own devices.

Despair not, children of the Latter Days,
All is not sadness and loneliness,
For though we depart,
It is for your good,
For now you come into your own,

Making memories which will replace the old times,
Memories of your own,
Stories of your own,
The Third Song, unknown to us of the Past,
But which shall outshine the days of old.

All tears are not an evil,
For the loss is real,
But a loss which is necessary.

The fledgeling must depart from the nest or die,
to find paths of their own,
Though it is hard,
They will learn new glories.

We go to our home,
Where our memories are evergreen,
A light which will not be extinguished.
Where the Elder Days do not fade.

And your path is sundered from ours,
Yet the darkness only lasts at night.
In the morning, it will fade.
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time.
All will not be as grey as it seems now.

A tear trickled down his feathered face.

"You're not going now, are you Gwaeryn?" said Fiona.

"Not now, but soon, as is reckoned among our people. It may be a while as you reckon it, but it is coming." The Eagle had a faraway look in his eyes.

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby earendil81 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 am

She was riding somewhere in the middle of the group but she was not really paying attention just yet. Her mind kept wandering back to Eilathen's present that was in her pack with the dress and new clothes that Kitty had purchased for her. It felt like being showered with gifts that she did not really deserve.

The sword though was something special; she knew how to use one as her grandma had taught her some basic skills. And Eilathen had forged it himself; that was so nice. She was slightly overwhelmed. She had always been loved more than a lot of kids could claim, always had had what she wanted provided that it was reasonable. And reasonable went a long way with her father. She was the only girl in a family with 5 sons and he loved her. Her grandma had always said with a broad smile that it was something running in the men of the family, they always adored their women and daughters more than anything else in the world. Sometimes a little too much she had added once with a grin telling a lot about memories of her own.

But these people she hardly knew them and they were giving her royal presents really, things that her parents would never consider reasonable and which she would not even consider asking. On top of that a sword was not really considered a girl's proper instrument, it was more like a needle or some pots and pans. She smiled. She was really happy to be there; it was good that her parents had allowed her to leave with her grandma.

Now there were these two new people: Daniel and Selene. The girl she did not like much, she was... she did not know what. But she had learned from Pwyll who had been in Edoras and knew a lot - although not as much as he pretended to she now realised - that maidservants always had something in mind that they would not say. Maybe it was not true but she felt she owed it to him not to trust her. Eilathen would probably find it weird but he could read people. Or at least it felt like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The child had been thoughtful all day, had been in awe really when he had given her the sword in the morning. They had actually been the last to come out to leave because she had been at a loss as to what to do with her new possessions. It had been entertaining to watch in a way.

But she knew how to handle a weapon, probably something taught by her relative who had been very good with a sword herself before that ugly wound during the war of the Ring. She had loved it but had decided not to wear it openly; he had nodded, she was wiser than he had thought her to be.

In the evening though, she had got over the feeling and had joined in with the others laughing and singing along, clapping, a child enjoying an evening with a group of friends. He was listening to the sounds of nature, hearing how much it had been disturbed and still struggled to break free from men's hold. It would endure, Yavanna's work was a special one.
He listened to the songs of Fiona and Gwaeryn, which brought him from the shadow of the trees and near to the fire. Sitting by Laesha, he listened to the discussions of the children and the music that continued.
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Tygarya » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Kitty was more than concerned about the size of their group. It attracted attention and that she did not like. As they moved out she noticed several people stop and stare at the large group as it passed almost like it was a parade. Kitty had pulled up the hood of her cloak and chosen to wear her short sword which till now had been packed away.

The journey was non eventful and Kitty was glad about their decision to leave via the little used West Gate. It travelled through farmland so the views were open and honest. Nowhere to hide through this open expanse of farmland. After about five leagues however, as the road started to bend subtly round to a southerly direction, trees started to become the dominant feature. Soon they were travelling once again through a forest.
When they stopped to make camp Kitty, Gwinhir, Daniel and Rog made sure the carriage and wagon were parked so that they blocked the campsite from the road. Draping some canvases along the wheel s to make an effective wind block from underneath and another canvas stretched from the top and out towards the camp fire it made a great shelter for everyone.
As everyone started to relax after their lovely meal supplied by Ar and Bril and the music started to play Kitty got up and wandered to the back of the wagon. Leaning in she grabbed the edge of a wooden crate and pulled it slightly towards her, sticking a hand into it she grabbed out – with a faint clink – one of the many wine bottles she had stowed. She turned then and walked silently towards the road.
On the way she took out one of her daggers and worked at the wax seal on the bottle then the cork. When it finally opened with a satisfying pop Kitty was standing in the middle of the darkened road standing facing the camp site.
She stood there for several minutes surveying the scene before her when she noticed a figure step round the carriage and walk out of the gloom towards the road. Kitty frowned into the gloom trying to determine who it was. Once satisfied she knew she gave a low whistle indicating where she was. The figure turned slightly in direction and came over to where she was.
“Kitty I was wondering if you were out here?” Gwinhir asked as Kitty held out the bottle of wine to him.
“Of course, someone has to make sure the camp is safe and the fire can’t be seen from the road.” Kitty answered as Gwinhir took the bottle.
“I wondered what you were doing?” he said as he peered at the bottle in the dark.
Kitty laughed. “It’s good stuff, the best. At least that’s what I paid for so it better be. Try it.”
Gwinhir took a sip and Kitty knew by the sounds of lips smacking together that he was surprised at the rich luxurious flavour of the red wine.
“That is an expensive tasting drink Kitty, that’s even better than what we used to get at home.” Gwinhir said as he took another sip then handed the bottle back. There was a tone in his voice that sounded like it was questioning how Kitty could afford such a bottle.
Kitty laughed again that mocking musical laugh. “It’s okay Gwinhir, I’m rich enough to afford it apparently.”
“How so?” Gwinhir blurted out, then realised his rudeness. “Sorry I didn’t mean to pry.”
“That’s okay, but perhaps another time for that story, it’s a long one and I’m in a good mood at the moment.” Kitty replied with a touch of sadness in her voice.
Gwinhir took the message and changed the subject.
“So, do you think we should set a watch?” he asked as he looked up and down the road into what was now pitch blackness.
“Funny, I thought that’s what we were doing out here” Kitty said amused.
“Oh, okay well I suppose that works for me.” Gwinhir said as he wandered off a small way and sat down on a fallen log by the road. “Better get comfortable then.”
He didn’t actually mean it as an invitation but when Kitty sat down beside him and handed the bottle back to him he wasn’t going to complain.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Tygarya » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Daniel was relaxing by the fire - leaning back on one elbow, his feet stretched towards the flames - watching Selene and Geli dance and Fiona sing. What more could a man want on his travels than to be able to relax at night with beautiful women eager to entertain. He couldn’t believe his luck, now that the hangover had finally cleared he was able to appreciate the position he was in. He couldn’t thank his father enough right now.
As Selene finished her last twirl to the end of a tune Daniel applauded enthusiastically causing Selene to curtsy to him and batter her eyelashes. Daniel laughed and motioned for her to sit next to him. As Selene did so she smiled her inviting smile, hoping to learn more about this new comer to the group before they got much further along in their travels.
“You dance very gracefully” Daniel said as he watched Selene sit down.
“Thank you, your very kind to say” Selene answered putting on a shy downcast look.
Daniel was just about to move in closer when he heard Gilmith on the other side of the fire ask a question.
“Where is Gwinhir?”
This question made Daniel sit up and look around the group, he didn’t see Gwinhir and he didn’t see Kitty...he also didn’t see Ar, but then Ar stepped out from the trees almost to answer Gilmith’s question.
“He and Kitty are first watch, they are out by the road.” Ar said as he sat down beside Gilmith and patted her hand. Gilmith smiled and relaxed satisfied by the answer.
Daniel however was less than satisfied by the answer and standing up he casually brushed the dust off his pants and looked down at Selene.
“Just have to go water the trees” he told her then turned away and walked off.

During the days travel he had watched Kitty and he was perplexed by her. He couldn’t get the words from his father out of his head. His father had given him one warning for this trip and the words had been delivered with such seriousness that Daniel still couldn’t quite wrap his head around it. “Do not do anything to annoy that woman (Kitty) I do not want you delivered back to me dead.”
Daniel still couldn’t believe Kitty could be so dangerous, sure she dressed tough but he had seen other woman who dressed like that and tried to act like men but under it all they were all just mere women trying to fit into a life they weren’t really cut out for but forced to live.
More than warn Daniel off his father’s warning had only sparked Daniel’s interest in Kitty even more. She was the challenge of the group, he had watched how the others all interacted with her and he knew she was an enigma to just about all of them – all of them but Ar, there was something different in the way he looked at her. Daniel didn’t like it, there was a sort of understanding in the way Ar looked at her, Daniel wondered if the two of them knew each other before, but somehow he thought that wasn’t quite it.

Shaking free of his thoughts he made his way to the road, it was pitch black out away from the fire and he stood for a minute to give his eyes a chance to adjust. He was just starting off again towards the road when he heard voices so he angled towards them.
As he approached he saw the two figures sitting on a log, both appeared to be watching him, so he approached with confidence.
“Kitty, there you are. Why are you sitting out here in the dark instead of by the fire with the other women dancing and singing?”
Kitty took Daniel by surprise by suddenly standing up and looming up in front of him, it caused him to step backwards which unfortunately resulted in his tripping back over an exposed root and falling backwards.
Daniel heard Gwinhir laugh, but he was unable to respond as Kitty was standing over him.
“I do not dance, and I do not sing.” Kitty said in a flat voice. Daniel noticed that Gwinhir stopped laughing at the tone in her voice.
Daniel chuckled and sat up. “Well, there must be something a woman with your assets can do?”
Gwinhir coughed and also stood up in response to the rude remark. Daniel smiled to himself, he had said it deliberately to get a reaction and he had gotten it, confirming his suspicions that Gwinhir also liked Kitty a lot.
Kitty however caught his attention as he saw a glint of steel in the moonlight as Kitty drew a dagger.
“I kill people” Kitty replied to his question.
Gwinhir stepped in front of Kitty then to stop her doing something she might regret.
Nothing was said but Kitty slammed the dagger back into its sheath and she turned and walked off grabbing the bottle of wine off the log, she disappeared into the darkness.
Gwinhir let out an explosive breath as he turned towards Daniel and offered him a hand to help him up. A true gentleman, Daniel thought.
“You really shouldn’t say things like that to wind her up” Gwinhir said.
“Why’s that?” Daniel laughed as he smoothed his shirt down. “You really think she would kill me?”
“Yes” Gwinhir answered, surprising Daniel with the calm way he said it. In the gloom Daniel was sure that Gwinhir had just had this revelation himself and was unsure how to feel about it.
Daniel clapped him on the shoulder.
“Oh come on now, Kitty puts on this tough exterior but I’m sure it’s all for show.” Daniel laughed again and wandered off back to the camp - as he wasn’t sure where Kitty had gone his thoughts had returned to Selene.

As he returned and sat back down by the fire, and by Selene he glanced up to see two pairs of eyes watching him intently. One pair was the strange quiet elf Eilathen who regarded him solemnly, the other pair was Ar’s, the look in his eyes was indecipherable, but Daniel knew that somehow Ar knew that he had gone looking for Kitty.
Daniel grinned at Ar and winked. The reaction he got was strange. Ar blinked slowly and turned away. Daniel shrugged and turned to Selene and started chatting to her telling her about where he grew up.

Slowly people started turning in for the night and the fire was burning down to embers when Daniel finally grabbed his blankets and curled up to get some sleep.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Rodia » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:05 am

(OOC: a bit of backwards posting, coming up on the brigands/Burl post;);))

"Not a word about whose guests you were," Alder had warned the children before he sent them off towards the inn. He kept his gaze stern, expecting well that Dust would turn around, and found it hard to contain a chuckle when the musician hunched his shoulders and quickened his pace. Geli, of course, strode away with a spring in her step.

"Were we ever that young?" he grumbled, then looked at Rosq and reflected. "Hm, you might have been."

Rosq, too, watched the girl bounce away. "Might I?" he returned thoughtfully. "She is so..." Young? It struck the redhead that he was the older by no more than a single handful of years. "Well, she is a bright thing," he shrugged. "I'm glad Raisha was in a generous mood."

"They'll live richly off those coins," Alder smiled. "If they don't spend them all on sweet pies. Children, Rosq, they're barely out of their mothers' aprons. Aye that they were frightened, but we wouldn't have harmed them. And you wouldn't have dragged them back if you didn't know so."

"The gypsy would have had all our heads if we did," Rosq replied. "Still, we gave them a fright. Nothing Raisha's coins won't heal, but what are you willing to bet that these two would tell the entire story, and make up another one around it, as soon as they get to the inn? Perhaps this is not the time to go barging in?" The redhead threw the 'perhaps' inn only to mollify Alder. His mind was made up. They would wait until the children were safely out of sight before carrying out their errand to Burl.

"That's why we're waiting here," Alder looked pointedly at the redhead. "If their tongues are loose, at least our friend Burl will know we're close. Should give him something to think about."

Rosq grunted but did not argue. Burl, he knew, could not set the soldiers on them. The man hid too many secrets himself. "Let's get under another roof, then," he suggested. "I don't want that Eagle spotting us. Not the sort of bird you'd fancy on your wrist, hm, Alder?" As barbs went, this was a good-natured one.

"Ah, that…" Alder chewed on his lip. He had wondered, as soon as the bird had flown out of sight, whether he had lost his mind. But the children had chattered about the Eagle, and Rosq admitted to seeing it as well. The brigand could not help looking up, fearing to see a shadow cross the sky. "Birds shouldn't grow that big, if you ask me. Or talk."

"They are no more birds than we are beasts," said Rosq, whose memory retained an unfortunately large portion of his childhood lessons. "Less so, and more kin to Elves and those who dwell in the West. They were the servants of Mandos, unless I am confusing them with some other creatures. What one of them is doing with the ragged jester brats is beyond me."

"Don't know much about Elves," Alder grumbled, though he understood what Rosq was saying perfectly well. He simply did not like feathered legends coming alive before his very eyes and looking down at him as if he had not been kind to his birds. Alder was certain the Eagle knew, somehow, that he had been a falconer, and did not approve of the sport.

What would the bird that had torn his face say, if it could speak?

"The bird might be of Mandos, but the children are quite ordinary," Alder decided. "Did you see the halfling riding it?"

"I did," Rosq sighed. The memory lit his eyes with longing. To fly so... But the Eagle would never allow it, not if he knew what Rosq was. Suddenly, the adventures of the last months seemed a lot less amusing to the redhead. "Come, Alder, we'll hide out in the Black Swan until the Eagle clears off. Men like us shouldn't look at such creatures."

"I'm a tad more worried about the creatures looking too closely at us. Or anyone, for that matter." He nodded at a passing woman whose eyes had lingered on his scarred face. "Black Swan it is. And I hope there's no black swan big as my horse waiting there."

The Swan was free of any fowl except the roasted kind. It also boasted a kitchen boy whom Rosq engaged to watch Burl's inn for them. The two brigands whiled the time over the ale and a loaf. Alder formidable scowl ensured that they were not disturbed in that rough place. At last, the boy turned up, claimed his pennies, and declared that the coast was clear. Rosq stood up first, eager to have their errand over with and to hurry back to their lair.

(OOC: Rosq by Frelga)
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Bartolomeo had not felt the sea breeze of the western coat for a while, some things one justs misses. But he never stayed in the sea for long and now was wandering the hills with a small gypsy troop. But Bartolomeo was bored, he wanted adventure, and was tired of these gypsies. It was sundown when the troop spotted a fairly large group in the not so far distance. it was an odd looking group to be sure, and it had caught the interest of Bartolomeo. So he convinced the head Gypsy that they would be a good trading opportunity. it was pitch black and the Gypsies were making there way to what is thought to be the camp of the mysterious party. They traveled a while before giving up and setting up camp. The hope was to throw a celebration the next night in typical gypsy fashion and then sell there wares at obscene prices when everyone was drunk. Bartolomeo enjoyed these celebrations and often participated with sword tricks and if challenged would duel.
Bilbo Baggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby earendil81 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:04 pm

The music seemed to have lulled Laesha to sleep, and her head was slightly resting against his shoulder. But he needed to speak with the hobbit and softly he pushed the child up. She startled awake.

“I am sorry to wake you child, but maybe you should lie down and sleep.”
She pushed her hands into her eyes, like a child that she was, before smiling as if she could stay up all night. He shrugged and smiled before he moved towards the hobbit who was sitting farther next to the Eagle and the girl Fionavar.

Eilathen moved towards Robin who was chuckling softly at one of his friend’s comments. The elf caught his eye as he sat next to the hobbit, who turned towards him.
“Would you mind showing me your sword again Master hobbit?”

The Halfling gave him the sword and he looked at it with the same interest that he had the first time but with more intensity this time. He pushed his thumb against the flat of the blade feeling the carvings of the faded runes; they were almost gone but he recognized them. There had rarely been such a great smith as Heryn i Lhach; he smiled.

“This is actually a blade of rare quality Master Hobbytla, to say the least. It needs sharpening a little but that is easily remedied, although you cannot do that just anywhere. Or trust it to anyone.” He weighed with the blade a moment, feeling its balance, its steel and the great work that Nestawen had done. It was hard not to have images of the companion appearing in his mind. He smiled. “I am glad that this work survived the destruction of our city.”

The hobbit was silent; the intensity of his glance was probably only matched by his own lost in memories of the Hidden City of Gondolin with its mountainous surroundings where the kin of Sorontel were dwellers as much as the elves there.
“You know already that your sword was forged in Gondolin; because you found it where Mithrandir found Glamdring and Bilbo Baggins the sword he named Sting.” He did not expect the Halfling to answer, but he nodded nonetheless.

“I know not Lord Sorontel if your sires told you about the beautiful Crissaegrim where Thorondor and his kin dwelled. Or maybe they did not because like us, it may have been as painful to them as it is to us. But we were lucky then even in our dire situation to be guarded by such great creatures. We were besieged always even though our enemies knew not where to find us. And so there were a lot among us who learnt the craft of the smith. Men and women both; and none were more gifted among the apprentices than Nestawen. We called the Heryn I Lhach, the lady of the flame; and her hair was red as the hot fire you need to shape the steel into a sword. She was the one who forged this; it was a dagger then as you can imagine, one that saw the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. And she called it Carchlaeg, the sharp fang. But Claw is a good name, a very good name, Robin.”

He fell silent for a while.
“Nestawen never made it out of Gondolin and like Glamdring and Orcrist her sword and dagger disappeared, taken by orcs or goblins as trophies out of the City that Morgoth never found until Maeglin betrayed it. I am happy you found it. She would be glad.”

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat May 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Robin thought much of what Eilathen said. This sword had such a great history, and he came in the tail end of it.

"Indeed, I have been told of the Crissaegrim," said Gwaeryn, "and have seen it in visions and dreams. Back then, I was not trusted to the watch, as my lord Thorondor deemed me too young, and I was not yet come into my own yet. But now that I know, it was a great history indeed."

Robin looked up. "Yes, it would need sharpening and renewing, Eilathen. If you would consent, you are the only one remaining who has the skill, and could be trusted with such a blade. Will you not renew it and bring back the runes upon it? We may need it on our journeys. And Claw will flame again."

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby shaggydog » Tue May 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Bril was stretched out on his side, his head resting on his arm. His eyes were almost completely closed, but through his lashes he watched Fiona closely. Her duet with the eagle moved his heart, not the words so much as the soulful tune. Though she was across the way from him, he knew she was . . . sad, a dampening of her usually sunny mood clear in her voice. That uneasy stab of guilt pricked at his brain again. He had heard the others speaking of a watch, but he hadn’t jumped to volunteer to take a turn. His only intention was to pass the night curled up right by Fiona’s side. After another song and more desultory talk, Fiona had finally crossed back over to him, sitting quietly and peering down at his face, no doubt thinking he was asleep. She had taken her blankets and rolled them out beside him, then lain down and wrapped herself up against the coming chill of the night.

Reaching out a hand, he laid it briefly on her hair. “I’ll be back in a moment.” He said in a very low voice. Rising, he took himself off into the trees and within a minute the huge direwolf had entered the glowing circle of firelight. He trotted to her side, circled three times and lay down with his furry back to hers. His golden eyes stared off into the inky blackness of the woods.

Across the fire, Selene’s eyes widened, then narrowed at the sight of a mammoth, black wolf making itself at home amongst the travelers. She had been keeping tabs on all the companions, and it wasn’t hard to put two and two together and come up with one shape shifter, although that sum was both unexpected and unwelcome. Well, Burl could deal with it, when the time came . . . or not. That wasn’t part of her job description.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby earendil81 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm

"Yes, it would need sharpening and renewing, Eilathen. If you would consent, you are the only one remaining who has the skill, and could be trusted with such a blade. Will you not renew it and bring back the runes upon it? We may need it on our journeys. And Claw will flame again."

The offer was made truly and it touched him more than he could have said. He looked at the blade again.
"I am nowhere nearly as gifted as she was Robin, but I will happily do this for you. We did share that love of the iron and the steel, coaxing it to take the shape it was always meant to be. I never saw her break a blade and it was not an easy thing to do when you worked with the tools we had."
He chuckled with the memory of a sword almost finished breaking in his own hands when he had not known any better.
"I am afraid a good forge will be hard to find in the days to come but when we do, I shall work on it. Maybe I should have done it in Tharbad when..."

He paused and glanced at Laesha then Fiona. He took a decision then, one that he would have considered hasty but it seemed just as good a time to give this to the young girl. She was sitting up against the direwolf a blanket wrapped around her so as to fight off the chill of the night. He moved to her just then and sat in front of her. Yet it was first to the wolf he spoke.

"Please do not be afraid friend, this is not meant to hurt you or your Fionavar." A blade lifted in front of a wolf was never a good thing; a blade lifted in front of a wolf in need of protecting one who had been hurt was probably worse. Still he took out the scabbard that was hanging at his hips and pulled at the hilt presenting to Fiona the sword he had made for her.
"I am not as good a reader of men, or women, as Elrond was for he was wise beyond his years and more powerful than most of us, but it seems to me you may want to have a protection for yourself should your friend not be around you. I hope it brings you what reassurance you would need."

He looked intensely at the young woman. He had not really intended on giving this away like this but it seemed to be meant. Written as Anarmirë once might have said.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby ^Aramir^ » Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Aramir was not used to feeling jealousy, nor fear, at least not in such a serene place as this. Yet as he leaned back against a wide pine, trying to conform his back it its shape while he gazed through the lively fire, he found himself experiencing both unpleasant sensations.

Out of the woods emerged Bril in all the majesty and menace that was his direwolf form, eyes filled with flame, half a reflection from the fire, half born out of his own burning need to protect Fiona; he circled three times--Aramir couldn't help but grin--and then lay down at his friend's side, a warmer comfort than any blanket. Aramir fingered the tattered leather wrapping the hilt of his sword, but knew that no one in their party was safer right now than Fiona.

He had heard Selene's sharp intake of breath when the shapeshifter had crossed the treeline and materialised in the fire's light. It was about then that the had jealousy set in, something of a warm gurgling in his stomach that spread throughout his limbs and finally centred directly above his eyes, which began to narrow under the weight of his feelings. He realized suddenly that he was glaring at Bril and shook himself, startled, then deliberately turned his line of sight downwards into the dirt. Yet his mind lingered on Bril, on the man's ever-developing willingness to allow others to see him for what he truly was. He wondered what he would do if he had that power--half of him saw himself romping through the woods chasing animals, or bounding at a friend's side, just the way Bril was wont to behave. The other saw a shivering whelp who refused to shift at all, terrified that someone might realize his secret and abandon him. He rolled his eyes at himself; how could he care so little about what others thought of him, yet care so much?

The thought had not yet resolved itself into coherence when Eilathen settled himself at Fiona's side and presented her with a newly-forged blade, at which point Aramir realized that his gaze had wandered back to the group across the fire. The Elf's majesty was everything Bril's was not: grave, outwardly contemplative, sad at times; his words were as finely-crafted as the sword he now held before the girl, like a poem long-rehearsed yet still fresh at every recitation. Aramir's hand strayed towards his ear, fingers grazing the black scar as they passed his cheek. Yes, it was pointed too, like Eilathen's. Sometimes, Aramir mused, it seemed necessary to check, not that it meant anything or did him any good. Grave and majestic he was not, and that suited him fine. But to look at Eilathen, he felt completely fake, felt as though any moment someone would pause and compare the two men and realize how ridiculously counterfeit Aramir truly was. Kellian had never made him feel this way, but then, Kellian was not exactly grave and dignified, either.

As though the Elf had heard his thoughts his deep eyes glanced Aramir's way; the young man hurriedly averted his eyes, face burning, heart racing if only for the moment it took him to imagine Eilathen crossing the camp and sitting at his side. What would the Elf say to him when they finally spoke, he wondered, and then realized that he was afraid to know. He pinched his ear and was surprised to find that it hurt.

Desperate for something to do, he rolled over onto his knees and crawled towards the fire, took another log and nestled it in the centre of the flames, then returned to the process of conforming himself to his tree, closing his eyes though he was not drowsy in the least. If memory served he had volunteered to take first watch, but even if he hadn't, it didn't much matter: sleep did not seem likely tonight.
^Aramir^
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Alder and Rosq went around the back, a precaution against spies. Burl had made sure his inn allowed for an unobtrusive approach, and in the gathering darkness not even the Eagle's eyes could spot the two brigands. Still, resorting to back doors rubbed the redhead wrong. He made sure to kick the door open, hard enough to make it slam into the wall. Alder would not like that, but the one-eyed man did not understand the finer points of intimidation.

Luckily, all Alder had to do was to frown and glower, and he performed admirably when Burl hurried out to usher them into the kitchen. Rosq left the innkeeper to absorb the full effect of Alder's death glare, while he made a quick scan for signs of ambush. Finding none, he lit a taper. He made sure to place it in the slight draft, where the flame cast terrible shadows over the one-eyed man's scars.

"We have an errand to you, Burl," he said. Alder threw him a near-lethal glance as soon as he opened his mouth, but Rosq thought he spotted signs of relief. The falconer was a man of few words, and Rosq, of many.

"There are things, Burl," Rosq went on, "precious few things but there are some - that Raisha will not do. For one, he would not spill a child's blood."

"I never..." Burl began, but Alder growled and rocked forward, and the innkeeper subsided.

The redhead did not seem to notice. "For another," he continued, "his lady sees to it that the lads watch their step around women, these days."

The innkeeper snorted. "A lady! Since when was a gypsy..."

"Since Raisha says so," Rosq broke in. Alder's knife was already half out and Burl's hand dove into his belt. Again, the redhead gave no sign of noticing these things. "Also, since she can put a curse on a man that would cause him to howl in misery at the mere thought of committing an indiscretion." He would hear from Alder on the way, for the huntsman was devoted to the gypsy and he detested rumors of spells and curses. "The point, Burl, is that others have done things that Raisha himself disdains, and let the guards believe that the doing was Raisha's. And that makes it more difficult for us to do the many things we don't mind doing. Have you heard what happened to The Happy Rogue?"

If Burl had not, he could guess easily enough. Inns all through the countryside benefited from the brigands' largess when Raisha's lads were in a generous mood. All through the country, too, there were charred spots where an innkeeper or a farmer had proved treacherous, greedy, or honest.

"I pay up as promised," the innkeeper protested. Rosq left him to Alder and set to prowling about the kitchen, examining shelves and pots. Burl kept an eye on him, as much as he could over Alder's grumbling. "Leave that alone!" he cried when the redhead pulled a stoppered jug off the shelf and sniffed at the contents.

"In short," Rosq resumed, "Raisha wants you to lay low for a while. He wants no trouble to come our way from you, not for weeks." Rosq opened his fingers and let the jug crash to the ground. Oil oozed and spread from between the shards.

"You daft..."

But the redhead's sword was out, and Burl was not fool enough to try his knife against it. "There was a pair of wandering performers staying here, a girl and a boy, and Raisha took a fancy to them. Should they meet with misfortune, it might well be that one drop that fills the cup to overflowing, and causes Raisha's patience to run out."

Now the blade was out, Rosq was loath to sheath it unused. A swish, and the shadows danced across the kitchen. The candle still burned, the short length of it that now rested on the flat of the blade. Rosq held it level over the spilled oil. "And if Raisha doesn't burn the place, I will."

With that, he blew out the stub of the candle, and turned to the door.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby shaggydog » Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Burl snarled once the two brigands had cleared his back doorway. Let them bluster and rattle on about protecting “women”, and “children.” Those who stood watch could also be watched themselves. His plans were in place – there would be no need for spilled blood unless Raisha and his lummoxes messed around where they didn’t belong. As long as Selene did her part, he’d give the idiot his cut and maybe that would be the end of their grumbling.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tygarya » Sun May 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Kitty returned to camp in the dead of night to find Ar awake waiting for his watch to start. Kitty smiled at him in greeting although she had been avoiding being alone with him ever since the other night in the woods, she was still confused as to why she had told him so much about herself and why at the end of it she had kissed him.
Turning away from facing those thoughts yet again Kitty walked up to the sleeping figure of Daniel, Kitty noticed the elf Eilathen open an eye at her passing. As she looked down at Daniel curled up infront of the embers of the fire she grinned viciously and kicked him hard in the back to wake him up.
Daniel yelped and scrambled up to standing, the commotion making a few nearby to stir in their sleep, Selene was nearest and she woke suddenly looking like a rabbit caught by a hound. Bril also woke his wolf eyes surveying the scene.
“What the ..?” Daniel called out as he turned to Kitty.
“It’s your turn at watch” Kitty said simply and turned to walk away.
Daniel grumbled and rubbed his back. “I was just kidding around before you know”
“Well, perhaps that should be a lesson then” Kitty answered as she turned back slightly.
“For what?” Daniel asked a bit confused.
“Don’t kid around where I’m concerned.” Kitty said flatly and walked off towards where her horse was tethered and started to get her blanket from her gear down beside it.
Daniel looked after her with a mix of awe and utter confusion, he had never had to act like this for a woman before, usually they just fell at his feet. He took a step in the same direction as if to follow but stopped when he heard Ar cough slightly. Ar was standing ready to go to watch, he indicated for Daniel to lead the way the look on his face stern.
Daniel scowled momentarily then stalked off towards the road with Ar behind him. They passed Gwinhir on the way.

Kitty grabbed her blanket and headed back to the fire just as Gwinhir approached. She grabbed a couple of small pieces of wood and placed them on the embers to keep the fire going. Then sat with her blanket wrapped around her staring at the fire for a while until finally curling up to get a couple of hours sleep.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Geli stretched out on her blanket, gazing at the stars. She was perfectly happy. A full belly, a full purse - gold coins, too! - and the beautiful songs of Elves and Eagles in her ears. If someone handed her a magic ring that granted wishes, she'd be at a loss for anything more to ask.

Unless...

Geli had watched Aramir brood through the evening until he stalked off to take the watch with Daniel. Once he was safely away, she scrambled up and sidled over to Fiona. Instantly, the direwof raised his head and his lip lifted just enough to demonstrate his teeth. Geli skidded to a stop. "Hush, Bril, it's just me, Geli the Harmless... the Magnificent. Well, harmless, too obviously, so just stay down like a good... companion creature."

Now Fiona gave a drowsy look to Geli. The jester was bright and sprightly like a fine morning, and seemed to be bouncing even while staying perfectly still.

"Say, I saw you got a sword just now?" she began. "Are you really a fearsome warrior in a very good disguise?"

"I'm afraid I am not very fearsome at all," the other girl replied, with what seemed very much like a sigh to Geli. "It was a generous gift. I suppose I will need to learn to be worthy of it."

"Oh, swords are easy," Geli shrugged. "So long as you don't mind losing bits of your fingers now and then. Can I see it, please? Just a peek?"

"Do you know how to use swords?" Fiona asked. She hesitated, then handed the weapon over.

"Oh, aye, very well. I've used dozens of them, in hundreds of battles,. Of course they were wooden, for playacting, but the principle is the same, and I was instructed by masters."

She threw a glance toward the indistinct shadows of the watchers, wondering if Aramir was paying attention. Last time they met, he did liike her handling sharp weapons, she couldn't fathom why. "See, you hold it so, two hands together, with three fingers of your right hand on the sheath and just the pinkie over on the hilt, and then move your right hand to the hilt but keep the left where it is so if you draw too enthusiastically and cut through the scabbard, you won't slice your fingers off..." She had to stop and take a deep breath. "And then you just go Huzzah! and draw." Which she did, standing upright with the sword gleaming in the firelight, point to the stars.

"Don't let her touch that!" came a call from one of the sentries. The jester grinned and began to spin the sword in figure eights, warming her wrist exactly as if she knew what she was doing.

"And then it's enemies beware," she concluded, raising the sword in both hands and bringing it down with a whoosh. Bril shot off to the side, his lightning reflexes carrying him out of the blade's path. "Don't worry," the jester assured the bristling wolf. "I had it under prefect control."
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby earendil81 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Her attention was snatched away from Eilathen by the one girl with curls as dark as her hair was fair. The elf was so serious that the energy emanating from girl felt like fire flames trying to light wet wood. It was actually hilarious; she put her hands on her mouth to prevent herself from giggling.

Eilathen did not say anything though, he was too ... something, he would never make a mean comment or tell someone off. From the few weeks with him, she had gathered that much. It was hard to imagine him be anything else but remote and kind. This girl was anything but remote; she was engaged, involved, and filled with some kind of life that Laesha had never encountered.

But she looked at her, as she stood taking the scabbard away from Fiona and holding it as if she had always held a sword in her hand. She was an actress, or a clown or something, but it was fascinating to look at her. In fact, she felt that the attention of all the people in the small camp, whether human, or elves, or animals had gone to that little candle of energy.

Suddenly she had the sword in her hand pointing to the stars like a weapon of the greatest lords.
"And then it's enemies beware," she concluded, raising the sword in both hands and bringing it down with a whoosh. Bril shot off to the side, his lightning reflexes carrying him out of the blade's path. "Don't worry," the jester assured the bristling wolf. "I had it under prefect control."

She was a jester, she had to be, like the one who had come to the village a couple of years before. She looked at Eilathen who had stepped away from the fire; he was also watching the child with an air that she could not define. There was a crook in his mouth like bitterness or maybe controlled amusement, it was hard to tell with him. She bit her lips slightly before her face lit up with a wide smile. She wanted to see the jester's dexterity if possible. She almost jumped up and went to her horse; from it, she took the sword that the elf had given her. She hesitated a moment... Maybe not such a good idea; her grandma would certainly not approve. Her hand went back to the saddle bag. Oh, whatever, her grandma was not there, and Eilathen had probably decided that she was a scatterbrained child by now.

She walked toward the jester and held out her hand.
"Hi... we haven't met yet, I am Laesha. And... I hope you don't find me rude or anything, but I met a juggler once. And he could juggle with swords. Is it something you can do?"
The smile came back, tentative, like a favour being asked from a great artist. She held out the scabbard with the offered weapon, as an invitation. But she could swear that Eilathen's eyes had grown darker. She did not look to him afraid of facing his anger. Maybe later, it was all fun; there was no danger here, just not yet. And the two soldiers, men - whatever - were taking the watch so they were safe. At least, she thought they were so why not have fun!

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 am

As Fionavar watched Geli twirl the blade with an air of expertise, she remembered that she had not thanked Eilathen properly nor found out the providence of the weapon. The last thought was that she would probably cut some useful parts off should she get too careless. Geli jumped over the sword and landed with both feet planted apart and then she passed the sword through her legs followed by a twirling overhead slicing gesture. To Fionavar, it was all very impressive, maybe even magnificent.

To her surprise, Laesha then approached the Jester and offered her sword up. By now the camp was at full attention, even the scouts had turned to see what would happen. Only Bril appeared to be sleeping. When Fionavar moved her hand to the scruff of his nappy neck, one gleaming eye opened slowing.

"Ever on watch, my friend?" She reclined against him and twirled a twig in the dirt in front of her. Geli seemed to be testing the weight of the new sword and then started slow lazy eights - first with the right wrist and then with the left until both swords were flashing in the firelight. She ended by sinking both blades into the ground and executing a flip over the top of them, bells jingling and hair bobbing.

The small group of campers clapped as she took the customary bow. At the perimeter Aramir scoffed in disgust or disbelief, Fionavar couldn't be certain. She moved now to the fireside.

"Good show, I don't expect you are looking for coppers......are you?" she suddenly realized that maybe that was exactly what Geli had hoped for.

"Me? Expect money from anyone in this crowd," she grandly swept her perfect hand to cover the group. "Never!!" Though her smiled indicated otherwise and her wink left Fionavar wondering.

"I think it is time for me to give proper appreciation for this gift, if you don't mind?" She extended a hand towards Geli, who easily lifted the sword out of the ground and passed it over with a tinkling smile. Fionavar admired the Jester for her lighthearted air and fearless abandon.

She found Eilathen standing in the shadows, apart from everyone else. Clearing her throat, she tentatively approached. "Excuse me. I know I must seem an ungrateful child to you. I did want to thank you for this lovely weapon. I will try to honor the gift by learning how to use it properly. Does it hold some special history?" Before Eilathen could reply, "or maybe it was used by some famous Elf or Ranger? Or maybe....." The ancient Elf held up a hand to forestall another question.

"All will be made clear in the fullness of time." He stepped further into the shadows.

Fionavar was left standing like a fool who had been conversing with her own shadow. Bril trotted up beside her and licked her fingers, tongue lolling about a lopsided wolfish grin. Automatically her hand reached the top of his head. "Strange. Very strange. Come on Bril, let's make a turn around the camp and then call it a night."

As usual, the wolf quickly outpaced her and she was left sprinting after him.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Tygarya » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Kitty had only just put her head down when Geli jumped up and went over to Fiona. Kitty sat up and watched with detached disinterest as Geli pranced around playing with swords, then when Laesha got involved and the young girls started to show off Kitty stood up grabbed her blanket and stalked off towards where the horses were tethered.
Kitty felt more than distant from these girls not that much younger than herself, but she found them naive to the harshness of the real world to which Kitty was forced to grow up in. Kitty didn’t see weapons as play things, they were tools of the trade. The better you were the longer you stayed alive – simple. Practice was just that practice to get better, not a chance to show off and prance around giggling and having a good time. It was one of the reasons Daniel grated on her nerves so much a well.
Kitty sat down heavily next to her horse and leant back upon the tree trunk that the beast was tethered to. Her saddle bags next to her she rummaged through them and found a small pewter flask. She unstoppered it and took a small swig from the contents. It was a special moonshine, so strong a couple of sips was all it took to take away any unwanted memories – of which Kitty had plenty.
Kitty leant her head back, her eyes squeezed shut against the tears that threatened. The nose of her horse bumoed her shoulder and he gave a snort that sounded like disapproval. Kitty opened her eyes and battered his nose away.
“Yeah I know, I should harden up. Afterall, I’m a rich woman now. Look at you, I would never have afforded a fine horse like yourself before. Why I can probably buy just about anything I wanted.....” Kitty fell silent, her eyes drifting skyward.
‘Just about anything’ she finished in the silence of her mind. The one thing she wished she could buy she would never be able to – the ability to forget.
As she stared at the stars a single tear tracked from the outside corner of her right eye and down the side of her face.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:54 pm

They seemed so remote these children of Illuvatar; born of the same spirit as he and yet entirely different. They were both more alive and more fragile than he could ever be. He knew he should not be annoyed at Geli or Laesha to play with the newly forged swords but he was shocked that they be planted in the ground so unceremoniously. He resisted a dark smile; he probably was too old for this world now and it was time to take leave of these shores. But then Fionavar sought him out and expressed gratitude as well as remorse. It actually felt like a balm on a wounded pride; maybe he was plagued like all his kin by the Noldorian pride. Again he repressed a smile and stopped her question with one finger.

"All will be made clear in the fullness of time." He knew it was no answer especially since the sword was new and he never really thought of himself as a smith to be remembered. None of the blades he had forged became renowned; well that was not quite true, one had. And it was now hanging at the King's hip. But he had worked on a famous spear; one that he had been proud of. And although Aeglos was destroyed, which was a blow to the smith, it was never as sad as the passing of its bearer in the Dark Land.

He walked away, he needed to be alone even though it would be difficult with that many people around; but at least he had no need of sleeping and he would be able to stay on his own for a watch or more. Then again maybe not; it seemed he was not meant to be alone, or any of them for that matter. It seemed the red-haired girl also needed solitude; only she did not seem to be dealing with it too well. She had not looked like a woman prone to cry so she might not want him to have noticed her.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Frelga » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 pm

"Laesha!" Geli exclaimed. "What a magnificent name. It's got a a sweetness to it, and a... a singiness. Laaaa! And then just a hint of danger," she added and illustrated with a swish of Fiona's sword.

As she talked and swished, Geli was thinking fast. Juggle swords? She was ready to bet her favorite costume that the juggler Laesha had met did not just grab a random sword. The balance would be all wrong, and the first mistake would cost a finger or a toe. She herself juggled knives of course, but they were specially made; only one was sharp, and that was the one she did not juggle.

Still, how hard could it be? Very was the correct answer, but the jester already took both swords. She had seen a sword-dancer before but - Geli glanced in Aramri's direction - he did not seem interested in rescuing... that is, stealing her glory. Well, there was nothing for it.

The jester cheated a bit, doing more of spinning and twirling than of actual juggling. She did toss one of the swords up, and realized too late that she completely misjudged the spin. She took a quick but graceful step back as the weapon fell blade down. By luck, it stuck. Fiona seemed impressed, so Geli repeated the process with the second sword and finished the performance with a flourish.

Fiona hurried off, followed by the direwolf, who did not seem unhappy to get away from flying pointy things. Geli turned her attention to Laesha.

"Now you, I am sure, grew up among the valiant warriors. Born with a little dirk in your pudgy fist, I've no doubt. You'd have the knowing of all the marital arts." Geli paused and considered. "Martial. T first. Always confuse them. Things like the Attack of the Furious Moose, the Stance of the Steel Hedgehog." She demonstrated, waving Laesha's sword around. "Me, I usually select the Silhouette of the Magnificent Jester Disappearing in the Distance. I am not very marital... martial at all."
She returned the sword with great ceremony, bowing and offering the blade on two open palms.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Robin took the first watch as the night deepened. He felt his hand on Claw's hilt, searching around and listening. So far, nothing. But he wouldn't let up his vigilance until relieved.

Gwaeryn, however, was asleep, his head under his wing, but in his avian dreams, he was again in flight over the sea, towards the holy mount of Meneltarma, a stopping place to Taniquetil.

Once again, as before, as he landed, the Three Witnesses of Manwë alit on their rocks and silently watched him. Gwaeryn's gaze was on the distant isle of Eressëa, and on the mount of Taniquetil beyond. And his watch was rewarded, for he felt, then saw the approach of three great ones, Thorondor in the middle, flanked by Gwaihir and Landroval. The circled around the mount and bade him into the skies. For silence was the rule on the Mountain of Numenor.

"The last leg of your journey in Middle-Earth is upon you, Gwaeryn." said Thornodor. "Soon, you will join us, but your greatest journey lies in between."

"How shall it be, my lord?" said Gwaeryn, awed at the magnificent Eagle beside him.

"Have you learned nothing?" said Gwaihir. "That shall be for your eyes alone, and shall present itself in due time. The Festival awaits, of the downfall of the Darkness."

"Listen to your brother." said Thorondor. "You are already fullilling your destiny, Sorontel, Last-Eagle. The Bard and Loremaster shall come unto his greatest songs before departing. They are within you, you need to call them out. And you will."

The dream faded and Gwaeryn fell into a restful sleep.

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby earendil81 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:11 pm

"Now you, I am sure, grew up among the valiant warriors. Born with a little dirk in your pudgy fist, I've no doubt. You'd have the knowing of all the marital arts." Geli paused and considered. "Martial. T first. Always confuse them. Things like the Attack of the Furious Moose, the Stance of the Steel Hedgehog." She demonstrated, waving Laesha's sword around. "Me, I usually select the Silhouette of the Magnificent Jester Disappearing in the Distance. I am not very marital... martial at all."

Laesha was preventing herself from giggling; Geli was almost spot on. Well she did grow up among warriors; not only mind you but one of her brothers was to become a Rider of the kingdom and her grand ma fought in the great war years before. And she was versed in marital arts, although not as good at martial arts whatever the brown haired girl was saying. She was not sure there was a danger to her name; but she may come to like the idea of it.

She bowed to Geli when she offered the blade back. Gently Laesha put it back in its scabbard. She might not be reverential to the weapon - something all the men of her family would reproach her - but she still appreciated the quality of it and the fact that it was to be treated with respect. Just not reverence; it was a blade not a king or something. And it was not like Geli had been careless with it either. Sure it was planted in the earth, but it would happen anyway. And it was not like her life depended on it either.

"I am not as good at martial arts as you would think and certainly I hope to be better in the marital ones," she answered with a smile. "Not for lack of lessons though. I can stand my ground at least. If only because disappearing in the distance would be frown upon by my brother I think. Although he would probably not dare to frown at you with that Stance of the Steel Hedgehog." She laughed this time as Geli smiled. The jester was just too funny and she could not see how Geli would be upset since she invited the joke.

Still laughing she looked at the girl; maybe her own age, perhaps a little older but not by much; and yet. The jester was fascinating to her; she looked so free, so careless and yet that disappearing comment appeared to let on some dangerous sides to her life. It was something of a mystery to her that one girl could be left to herself, like Geli seemed to be. She could go nowhere without a chaperone, her brother or someone; except now. She was on her own; well no. Eilathen was here. But not Geli; it seemed she was by herself and perfectly fine that way.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:15 am

Because of the time lag here, I am moving everyone into the new day. I am also writing Bril, Selene and her thugs out for now. They can always come back in if/when Shaggy returns - which we all hope that he does. I have been writing for Seldo for a long time as well and we can just assume he stayed back in Tharbad with family. Seldo, if you show up and want to jump in again, just catch up to us please.

The clinking of chains roused Fionavar just in time to feel the back and forth tickling of Caloo's restraints. Squinting open one eye, there was an enormous eye about a hand span in front of her face. "By the Mountains! Caloo leave me be and I shall feed and water you shortly, I need to water myself first." The young lady rose stiffly, her brain starting to rummage through the events that had taken place in the wee hours of the morning.

Splashing water on her face, she refused to drop even one tear and instead swallowed thickly with determined resolve to continue the journey to Gondor without her dearest friend, Bril. She recalled sitting in stunned amazement when Bril announced that he had overheard some plotting between Selene and the barkeep to try and rob the travelers and would lead them away. The dire wolf promised to catch back up to them at some point, but he couldn't or wouldn't indicate when that might be.

The brush parted easily as Fionavar made her morning elimination and used the stream to clean her hands. Leaving some oats for Caloo and refilling her water bag, she was delighted at the excellent provender the group would have as they faced a long stretch of road with little or no towns between them and the next destination. Stoking the fire to liveliness, she started on the breakfast.

"Eggs, bacon and toast," she called to the friends now rousing. "Come and get it while it is hot. Time to be moving on."

Geli, always full of good humor was first to the fire, Dust following in her tracks. Her dimples deepened as she smelled the bacon sizzling. The jester turned the bread over and sucked on her fingers when she discovered the fork Fionavar had been using was an ideal utensil. "Better! Yum! Butter!"

Robin arrived next followed by Kitty, Daniel lagging behind her. Aramir seemed to magically appear from the opposite direction, coming off the night watch shift.

Laesha stumbled into the small circle with her hand cupping her upturned eyes. Gwaeryn could be seen making large swirls high above them. Eilathen was not in the immediate area this bright morning. Gwinhir and his sister dropped from the coach and headed towards the aroma.

Everyone having a plate of food and too busy eating to think or speak much, Fionavar thought it best to share the news of Bril's departure, it would come up eventually. News delivered, she brushed off her tunic, stowed the cookware and grabbed up Caloo's halter.

"So, I think it is best that we take this opportunity to clear up this camp site and get on the road. Bril would want us to take advantage of this time he has bought for us." She looked around at the group and could tell some were not surprised at the news, some were a bit stunned - no one was moving. "Let's move!" Fionavar surprised herself, but didn't give it another thought.

"Robin, would you please bespeak Gwaeryn and make sure we are safe to move forward?" Robin looking skyward and walked a few paces away. The rest of the travelers were slinging packs, boarding buggies or mounting horses.

The Hobbit gave Fionavar the thumbs up sign and the group moved forward. Laesha pulled up next to Fionavar with an easy stride, "Are you okay, Fiona?"

"I will be."
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Robin waved upwards. Gwaeryn, who was circling above, watching, searching, his eyes ever straying to the Mountains in the East, swerved and circled ever downwards. As the Eagle landed, Robin came over.

"How is the road ahead? Is it safe?"

"As safe as roads in these parts can be." said Gwaeryn. "The land is long and bare before we get to the pass, many leagues.

There are wooded parts where bandits lurk. There, you must be on your guard, but other than that, it is a long, dull road ahead."

"And yet, it is closer to our parting, dear friend."

"That is far away yet, little one, yet is far away as you reckon it. But great songs and celebration are in between."

"May I?" said Robin.

Gwaeryn nodded, and the hobbit mounted up. He wouldnt' be parted from his friend until that fateful time. Gwaeryn knew the others had heard him speak of the road ahead. He spread his massive wings and leaped into his beloved sky, leaving them far below. Robin felt the rush of air on his face, and the dreamlike way of the sky-roads. He looked around at the landscape around him.

Happy New Year!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:16 am

The travelers moved through the day at an easy pace, there was no rush at this point. Geli and Dust seemed to have their heads together most of the time and Geli's infections laughter would stir the hearts of any getting tired.

Robin kept mounted on Gwaeryn and probably had it the roughest, being used to eating several times in a day. When they didn't stop for lunch, they flew down and grabbed some extra biscuits and bacon left over from breakfast then continued to soar with his great eagle.

Most of the group seemed to sense that Fionavar was still processing the loss of Bril and left her to her own thoughts. Around many bends in the road, both up and down small hills, Caloo tracked behind her easily enough.

When dusk was evident, everyone seemed to slow their pace. Stomachs growling was almost audible. Fionavar called a halt and suggested that a place be found off the road for the night.

Aramir took the task and disappeared into the forest a short distance ahead. Daniel rummaged through the cart that his father had given over, it was full of food stuffs for the whole companionship.

Caloo nudged Fionavar in the back, reminding her that the pony also would need a good feed and watering soon.

okay at this point, any one can spot the elves in the forest or Aramir can come back and tell us - all works for me. Gollum Girl, feel free to jump in at any point you like. I will post again next Monday if no one has the time to move us forward. Thanks.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Gollum Girl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 am

Bushes rustled nearby. A strange scent came wafting up into the air, bittersweet and somehow tasting of sorrow. Out stepped a small figure, shaking and hair full of thrones. Beside the figure, stood a large horse.

"Excuse me," she said in a quivering voice, "Have I seen any of you before?"

She peered at each member closely.

"I've been staying here a while, and I know every creature of the forest, see, but I have never seen any of you before." She shook her head in bewilderment.
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)