The Expected Party!!

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Frelga » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Stars in her eyes and wind in her hair, Geli the Magnificent listened to Gwaeryn's song. The great bird wheeled; his wingtip sliced a wisp of mist into two swirling ribbons. Stars sketched golden lines across the girl's sight and then the Eastern sky was before her. The dawn kindled, in colors as mild and tender as the sunset had been gaudy and riotous.

The Eagle spiraled higher, breaking through an unwary cloud. The flight clearly called for hair streaming joyfully behind her, so Geli pulled out pins and combs. Her curls didn't so much stream as erupted around her head. Balancing carefully and mindful of the Eagle's order not to pinch, the jester sat up and flung her arms out. Wind whistled in her ears, as if she were a living arrow, loosed into sunrise.

The road wound below them, and beside it a meadow and a cluster of fires, only dull red dots from the height. Geli fell flat on the Eagle's neck and shouted over the wind, "Your lordship, those must be the traders who gave me a ride. Would you be so gracious as to fly over there so I can tell them not to worry?"

"Oxcarts?" the Eagle called back, his keener eyes having taken in the party. "Can they spare an ox, do you think?"

"Oh, no, you can't possibly! After that glorious song, stealing cattle? Inconceivable!"

With a laugh, Gwaeryn folded his wings, his swift fall accompanied by Geli's whoops. He was still well above the campfires when the wings spread and beat again, sending the Eagle and his rider into a wide circle. The traders were just waking up, getting ready to resume their steady journey. Shouts of alarm rose to greet the Eagle.

"It's me, Geli!" the jester hollered. "I found the bird. He is magnificeeeeeeeent!"

The Eagled wheeled away, trailing Geli's yells and excited shouts from children below.

Back at the clearing, the little jester slipped to the ground, shivering and soaked to the bone in mists and dew. Her teeth chattered with cold, but her grin was full of bliss.

"Thank you, Gwaeryn the Majestic!" she called to the Eagle with a deep bow. "That was... that was... oh, noble and generous lord, that was beyond splendid!" The jester fell silent; only her round eyes still shone with the thrill of the flight. She staggered closer to the fire and, wrapping herself tightly into a blanket, fell into silent reverie.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby ^Aramir^ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:47 pm

(Post by Lith and Sil)

Aramir chuckled at Seldo's words. "More experience, eh? Probably so, but that doesn't mean I've learned anything from it." He beamed as though immunity to growth were commendable. "As to what I'm doing out here... just walking. I got...well, injured--" there was no way he was telling this kid any of the ugly details "--in a fight last night.. or... this morning... yesterday?" Seldo was looking more and more confused. "Recently," Aramir said finally. "Anyhow, I finally woke up after a friend--" well, someone anyway "--treated my wounds, and I needed to stretch my legs." He shrugged. "It isn't so bad when there's moonlight."

Crossing his arms over his chest, he eyed the boy. "You really think you're being followed?"

"Not followed so much as laid for," the boy muttered, frowning. Could this stranger understand? "Trapped you see. Until they give up their awful, weak reasons for wanting to keep me at the harness. You can't know what Pa and the other boys are like... malt barley and vegetables. They're stupid and they don't move for anything."

All his pa ever wanted him and his brothers to do was farm like him. No schooling... it didn't make him proud to possibly have sons smarter than him. More successful than him. All it did was make Pa angry. It's what his father apparently couldn't stand--any one of his sons out-achieving him-- so he'd sucked his favorites into management and put the rest into labor.

"Well... I'm moving."

He crossed his own arms over his chest but it was because he was chilling and tired of standing around talking. He glanced at the sky first and then in the direction of the road. His eyes eventually landed back on Aramir's.

"You were hurt bad, you said? Is your friend still nearby?"

The question made Aramir laugh, but when he saw the boy's shoulders droop, he quickly cut it off. "Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you," he explained, bending over and scooping a twig from the underbrush. "It just that my friend seems to have...uh, multiplied over night." He snapped the twig into smaller and smaller pieces. "When I passed out, there was just one, and when I woke up this morning--" he tossed the pile of tiny twigs back into the brush "--there were at least four other people in our camp. And a giant eagle, of all things."

He heard Seldo gasp as he reached up to sweep his hair from his eyes. "But yes, they're not too far from here." He paused, then grinned again. "Why? Not hungry, are you?"

Seldo kicked at a rock near his foot, hesitating, but he couldn't see any way to hide it.

"Actually I am... if you've got room for another--temporarily, anyway. I can work for it in the morning if you want..." The blood finally caught up to the boy's face with his next question.

"How giant be this eagle? I did see one big enough to pick up a fawn once. Tip to tip he was wide as my cousin's horse is tall." Seldo didn't mention that he'd been small enough himself to go running for the house at the sight of such a bird.

"Oh, much bigger than that," Aramir declared, spreading his arms wide as though he might sprout wings. Never mind that he'd only glanced at the bird, and that in the dark. It'd been big enough, of that he had no doubt.

"Anyway, if you're hungry, I'm sure you're welcome at the camp. Seems they have no trouble accepting new people into the group, if my friend and I are any indication. There're probably extra blankets, too," he added, noting Seldo's shivering and trying his best to mask his own. It might have been wise to put on a more substantial tunic, not that there was anything he could do now. "Come on."

He turned towards the path, gesturing for Seldo to follow, and heard the boy's light footsteps on the earth behind him. They cleared the trees and walked along the road, less careful now that there was nothing to block their way. If I'm lucky, Aramir thought, I won't have any more accidents this week. Unlikely, though...

"Incidentally," he said offhandedly, remembering how he'd gotten into this situation in the first place, "how are you at fighting bandits?"

Seldo stopped abruptly and looked up at the tall swordsman, straight. Bandits... before breakfast?

"I toppled my second brother into the water hole a couple of times and he's just a foot shorter than you... he was never watching though. They probably wouldn't think anything of me but can they wait?" He yawned as they drew near to the others.

Aramir laughed again. "Well, if you're that determined, I guess they'll have to."
^Aramir^
Shield Bearer

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:47 pm

She tossed and turned and still sleep would not grab her and take her down into the comfortable blackness. By the time she gave up, the sun was at the treetops. Kicking her blanket like an unmanageable two year old, she stomped towards the campfire. Robin was there and already he had a full array of foodstuffs to offer. The rashers of bacon sizzled as the rendered fat hit the coals, breads were warmed on the stones surrounding the fire pit. A flat iron skillet had eggs simmering and there was hot water boiling for warmed drinks.

"Excellent morning to you Robin, how did you sleep?"

"On my back, like usual." he winked at the pun.

"Very funny." She scanned the horizon, "I don't see Gwairyn. Is he off making his own breakfast?"

"Fiona, Gwairyn doesn't make breakfast, he catches and devours breakfast."

The girl shook her head. "Yes, I am aware of that, I find it more palatable to think of him making rather than catching." She scanned the food again and thought she could add to the offering. "I have a great hard cheese that would melt great in those eggs and some fruit preserves from my mothers pantry. This is going to be a fine feast."

Caloo was calmly munching some wild flowers by the edge of the campsite and barely lifted her head when Fionavar approached. The food she wanted was easily found and she even stayed to scratch the mare's nose enough to cause her to whistle. That was when she saw her patient entering the circle with a young man, or was it a boy?

"Hello, I see you are getting about on your own. Would you like me to check your wound again?" Fionavar smiled largely as she approached the pair not even sure if the injured man would remember her.

"Oh, so it was YOU who bandaged me." His eyes traced her attractive figure and came back to her eyes. She isn't the least bit intimidated by me, Aramir thought. This gave the man a challenge, but he filed it away for another time. "I think I will survive." He pushed his black hair off his face and offered an introduction, as it were, "got room for one more?"

Fionavar looked around to the boy that was standing behind Aramir. He was too lean for the healer in her. "Indeed, there is a meal cooking at the fire pit. Why not join us?" Fionavar held out an inviting hand to the youth but to her surprise, it was Aramir who took it and headed for the Hobbit, with the youth in tow.

She snagged back the hand and gave Aramir a stern warning in a simple brow twitch. "I will be right back, Robin. We have more guests for breakfast it seems."

"The more the merrier." He took the preserves and cheese as Fionavar headed back to her bedding. She was looking for Bril. The campsite still had Geli and Ilarieth sleeping, but her friend was nowhere to be seen. A strange gnaw of worry hit her stomach and then passed to be replaced by confusion. "He will show eventually, maybe he has gone to find that boar," she muttered to herself, not quite understanding the feelings in her right now about Bril.

Finding the three males eating swiftly, she chose a moment when Aramir had both hands busy to lift the shirt at his back and give a visual examination only. The wound was drying and the man would indeed survive. “You will be fit to travel today, which way did you say you were going?”

“I said something?” He arched an eyebrow at her.

“Not really, but you are obviously going somewhere.” She indicated the area in which they were camping with a flourish of her slight arm, “Unless you call this home.”

Aramir just smiled and winked, which only aggravated the girl more. She grabbed up a slice of bread and smeared it with preserves. Turning on her heel, she called to Geli and Ilarieth. “Ladies, if you want breakfast, I would suggest getting it now, before it is all gone.”
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Tygarya » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Kitty sat quietly comtemplative for roughly 10 mins before she downed the last of her drink and decided the young man wasn’t willing to cross his sister and come out and play.
“Shame” Kitty thought to herself, “Could have been fun”
She smiled as she walked over to where there was a little gate leading from the garden to a side street. She walked out and down to the main street. She looked around a moment then while she grabbed up her wealth of copper curls and tied them back in a pony tail, then took a black scarf from her pocket and wrapped it around her hair, covering it from being recognised. She then melted into the darkness and went on the prowl.

She found a nice little house further down the street that was in complete darkness, but had a window open slightly. She grinned and stepped over the little picket fence and up to the window, opening it wider she slipped inside.
In the gloom she could see she was in a quant little sitting room, the fire had died down to embers and there were stairs leading up towards the bedrooms. Kitty quietly sprinted up the stairs and peered down the little hall to where she could hear faint snoring sound.
“Good seems the owner is asleep” Kitty thought and went back down stairs where she started rummaging around the place looking for anything that might be of any worth.
After about 5 minutes she had located a small wooden box that held a few coins, a nice pair of brass candle sticks and a lovely crystal goblet. The goblet seemed out of place here but Kitty guessed it must be a very treasured possession, so she left it behind afraid it would be noticed missing too soon. She left again via the window and carried on into the night.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby rowanberry » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:52 am

When the girl's eyes met his, Gwinhir blushed and turned quickly away, feeling quite awkward because she had noticed that he was looking at her. He tried to concentrate on his dinner, which was excellent indeed; but, somewhat later, he couldn't help his eyes from wandering toward the girl again.

"What's so interesting over there?" he heard his sister say in a bantering tone. Embarrassed, he turned to face her again. But, Gilmith had also thrown a glance across the room and noticed the most probable object of her brother's attention.

"Oh, I don't think that this is the time to flirt with some local farm lasses", she said. "Giving false hopes to someone is just not right. Wait until we get to Minas Tirith, I believe you'll have plenty of opportunities for a romance there..."

Gwinhir didn't dare to turn his gaze in the girl's direction again. From the corner of his eye, he saw her get up and go out to the beer garden. She hadn't returned by the time he and Gilmith finished their dinner and went up to their rooms.

But, he just couldn't get her out of his mind...
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Tygarya » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:55 pm

The next morning Kitty arrived down stairs to the dining hall for breakfast to find most of the patrons had already eaten. She noticed the brother and sister were just in the motions of finishing the last bites of theirs too. She gave the young man a smile as she walked past him and approached the bar to talk to the inn keeper.
“I’ll have another bottle of that wine you served up last night thanks” Kitty said sweetly, “and some toasted bread and jam.”
The Inn keeper looked disapprovingly at her, but when she planted another silver coin on the counter top he went and retrieved the bottle with out saying anything.
“Where’s a good place to buy a horse?” Kitty asked then as the Keep showed her to a table, it was quite near the young siblings and Kitty could see that the young man was listening in.
“Depends on what you need the horse for.” The Keep answered as he placed the bottle of wine and glass on the table.
“I need a horse that is reliable enough to get me to Gondor”
“Going for the celebrations?”
Kitty smiled “Sort of, but more than that; I’m going home”
“I figured you weren’t from around these parts, not dressed like that anyway” the Inn Keep replied to which Kitty laughed, “Best place to go would be Bill’s place; follow the main road out of town south and turn first left, his is the white farmhouse. He has a good sturdy filly for sale”
“Thanks, I appreciate that” Kitty said genuinely.
The Keep moved off to go and get Kitty’s food as she poured herself a wine and leant back in her chair, looking out the window.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 pm

Rubbing her eyes with the back of her fists, Geli squirmed out of the blankets. She stood up, turning her head this way and that, like a compass needle, until her nose pointed due bacon. The jester stiffened, sniffed and swallowed. She grinned happily. Then she opened her eyes.

"Bacon and eggs!" she exclaimed. "That smells delightful! Who's in charge of breakfast here? Do you have some food to spare?" Geli giggled at the freshly made rhyme. "I can sing for my breakfast. Or tumble. Or juggle burning torches and razor-sharp knives." She took a good full breath of bacon-stuffed air, and put down the trump card. "I will even do dishes. My lady?"

Geli beamed at Fionavar, blinking large brown eyes for that extra Geli appeal. The fair mistress of fried and baked goods was pleased to smile back. "I might take you up on any of those offers, although torches are in short supply just now. But you can eat first. I imagine flying before dawn makes one wake up hungry."

"Ravenous!" Geli agreed happily. She piled a slice of bread with bacon and eggs, and took a mouth-stretching bite. Food thus secured, the jester glanced around the campsite until her gaze fell on the black-haired male next to her, whom she saw in such a pitiful state the night before. "Mummfummuff!" Geli cried. She sounded so excited that every waking eye in the camp turned toward her. Geli waved a food-free hand for patience and chewed furiously. "Aramir!" she managed in the end. "The sword dancer! Hey, you got a shirt at last!"
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Tygarya » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 pm

When the Inn Keep arrived back with Kitty’s food he placed it on the table and left quickly to answer the call of new customers arriving. Kitty grabbed a piece of toasted bread and searched the plate.
“Dang, I should have asked for butter as well” Kitty muttered not too quietly.
“You can have what’s left of ours, save waiting for the Keep to be free again” the young man from the next table said as he handed a small dish; with a butter cube half used, to her.
“Why thank you kind Sir” Kitty said with a wide grin, “The name’s Kitty….and yours?”
“I am Gwinhir and this is my sister Gilmith”
As Kitty buttered her toast she smiled at the two of them and inclined her head to Gilmith in greeting, although Gilmith smiled back her lips her tight and she said nothing.
“I couldn’t help but over hear that you are heading to Gondor?” Gwinhir said as casually as he could get himself to.
Kitty took a bite of her toast and munched on it for a moment, enjoying the view before her of the nervous young man and his disapproving sister.
“Well, I will be if I can get a good enough horse to get me there, need to check out the horse the Keep told me about first, so I guess I’m not going anywhere just yet”
Kitty took a long sip of her wine as she watched the two before her, they didn’t seem too worldly to Kitty although they weren’t far off her own age.
“So where are you headed?” Kitty asked
“We are also heading to Gondor, for the festivities….”
“You don’t say” Kitty mutters to herself as Gwinhir continues.
“……yeah, but we are planning on seeing some other sights along the way, we have never had time to take a proper look at the country out of the general area around Fornost before”
“How exciting for you both” Kitty said with a sly grin, “You do plan to get yourselves some bodyguards don’t you?”
The young couple looked at each other, both equally as startled. Then, Gilmith asked,
“Why do you say that?”
Kitty leaned back in her chair, grabbing her glass of wine.
“Well, it’s not safe in some parts to travel alone like you are, one carriage is a tempting morsel for those cut throats out there on the road.”
“You would know about that of course” Gilmith said studying Kitty down her nose looking pointedly at Kitty’s weapons.
“Yes I would.” Kitty said matter-of-factly. “I recommend you either go and find yourselves some harden men to accompany your carriage or find a caravan of other travellers going in the same direction to travel with.”
“Actually, we are expecting to find a suitable caravan here within a few days” Gilmith said coolly, getting up from her table and brushing her skirts down. “I wish to go to the market now Gwinhir, you said you would come with me this time and get supplies for the journey”
Gwinhir frowned with reluctance a moment but stood also.
“Perhaps we will meet again later” he said to Kitty hopefully.
Kitty winked at him as his sister walked off. Gwinhir blushed and turned to catch up with his sister.
Kitty chuckled to herself and continued with her breakfast.

After breakfast Kitty took a stroll down the main road following the directions of the Inn Keep until she found a small white farmhouse nestled among some spruce trees with a little stream flowing past.
“Quaint” Kitty said to herself as she strolled up the drive.
“Ho-there?” A voice called out to her from somewhere to the left of the house. Kitty turned and looked at a small elderly man coming out of a shed carrying an assortment of gardening tools, which he just about dropped when he looked at Kitty.
“I’ve come about the horse for sale, the Inn Keep at the Prancing Pony told me about it”
“Oh did he now, well that’s mighty helpful of him, just a minute and I’ll be right with you” He then proceeded to put his pile of gardening tools down carefully arranging them with tender care. With his hands finally free he turned to Kitty and motioned for her to follow him round the side of the house.
“This way if you please”
Around the corner Kitty saw a small fenced paddock where a couple of horses were munching on grass, they both looked up and wandered to the fence when they saw the farmer. Kitty noticed that one was a chestnut mare, shaggy and her mane and tail had the odd stick in them, but she was well conditioned.
Kitty climbed through the fence and started to inspect the mare as she watched Kitty curiously. The farmer leant on the fence and gave Kitty a run down on the horse.
“Been a good girl, had her for about 7 years, used her with the wagon to go to the towns with my produce, I’m guessing she’s about 18 years old. Just got this new one now…” he pointed at the gelding next to the mare. “…so she can retire from the hard hackney work”
“Looks like I’m going to have to get her reshod if I want her to last to Gondor”. Kitty said inspecting the mare’s hoofs. “Where would I get that done on short notice?”
“If you go to the smithy in Bree and tell him I, Bill Barleyman, sent you, he’ll see you right today.”
“Thanks…okay so what do you want for her?”
The farmer chewed a piece of grass as he looked whimsical a moment.
“Two silvers”
Kitty laughed. “Daylight robbery, I’ll tell you what, I’ll give you one silver and two coppers, the rest I’ll be giving to your mate the smithy anyway”
“A silver and 6 coppers and I’ll give you a saddle and bridle”
Kitty smiled and held out her hand for the farmer to shake. “Done”
“Done” the farmer agreed and went off to fetch the saddle and bridle from his barn while Kitty fished about in her purse for the coins.
With the transaction done Kitty saddled up the mare, named Daisy and rode her back to Bree, to look for the blacksmith.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby ^Aramir^ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Post by Sil and Frelga

"Hey, you got a shirt at last!"

Aramir's heart stopped at the sound of that voice as the bright tones painted his face an equally outstanding crimson. When he dared to raise his eyes from his breakfast, they swallowed a sight that confirmed his silly fears--a small, dark-haired, loudly-dressed girl with more charisma in her little finger than all of the world's great and powerful leaders combined. He steeled himself against an enthusiasm assault and tried to think of an appropriate response that wouldn't make him look like a fool. Well, like any more of a fool, at least.

The trouble was, of all the embarrassing greetings he could think of off the top of his head, "Hey, you got a shirt at last!" was perhaps the most blush-inducing, even for him. Then again, causing embarrassment, at leastAramir's personal embarrassment, seemed to be one of Geli's many gifts, and one that she hadn't lost since the last time Aramir had seen her. And of course, the little jester had said it loudly enough for the entire camp to hear, so what might have been an inside joke suddenly became something that required an explanation.

But when had he ever been one to satisfy the requirements? More important now was facing, and combating, the Threat of Further Embarrassment. Good thing he was in the proper shape for it--he would have to thankFionavar again for tending to his wounds.

He forced his face into a smile, recalling as he did the entirety of Elena Tinuviel's bachelorette party. The memories were a bit fuzzy, but he remembered his sword dance, and Geli's grand entrance and subsequent teasing of him, of course, and now that he thought about it, there had been quite a few shirtless men at that event... And now that he thought more about it, what exactly was wrong with him not having a shirt, anyway? Besides all the scars on his chest and back and arms and... He shook his head. Why on earth was he assessing something like this?

"Geli!" he heard himself say in the most enthusiastic voice he could muster. "Geli the Magnificent! Or wait, is it Thursday?"

She grinned. "You remembered!"

"Yes, I can recall those minor details, but not what day of the week it is." He rolled his eyes. "So, how have you been? Still stealing the show from unsuspecting sword dancers?"

"Oh, no, how could I? Sword dancers are thin on the ground." Geli grinned wider than it seemed possible with a skinny face like hers. "You were quite splendid, as I recall. All that ironmongery, swooshing around! I half expected bits of air to fall down, all chopped finely into air salad. Magnificent! Well, not quite as much as that Eagle over.... hm, he's gone, but no man can hope to compare with that! Much more impressive than the penguins, anyway - remember penguins? So where's all that sharp and shiny stuff?"

An image of Geli dragging one of his swords across a marble floor, pretending to struggle under its apparent weight, darted to the forefront of Aramir's mind. "Carefully hidden away where audience members can't find and abuse it," he boasted, unable to hide his smirk. "At least I hope it is. I got into a bit of trouble last night and woke up here, so if my stash is missing, then we may have landed ourselves amidst a pack of thieves." He took a bite of his bread, chewed thoughtfully, and added, "Or aspiring swordsmen. Either way, the odds wouldn't be good."

"A pack of aspiring thieving swordsmen?" The jester looked around the campsite. The hobbit was smaller than most swords in Aramir's "stash". Fionavar seemed as sweet and harmless as a white dove, and a great deal neater. "Nah," Geli decided. "They are all right."

Aramir nodded, secretly glad that Geli hadn't asked him about his 'bit of trouble.' The last thing he needed was to discuss such a noble endeavor as being poisoned by his ally while fighting off a band of thieves, although, given enough time, he could surely find a way to twist that into a very respectable, noteworthy tale of heroism and bravery.

.....nah. Not worth the effort.
^Aramir^
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Robin was washing up from breakfast while listening to Geli and Aramir talk. He smiled as he finished. Coming over to them, he said. "No, I'd be a poor thief, and as for a swordsman, I already have one that has served me well in my travels." He twitched aside his cloak and drew out his small sword. "And this is all I need. A blade of ancient Gondolin, which gleams with a cold light when foes are near, and the brother of Sting, which was borne by Bilbo and Frodo. Come to think of it, I haven't named this one." Holding it up to the light, watching it gleam, he said "I name you Claw."

"Claw." said Geli. "It fits. May I?" Robin nodded and handed the hilt over to her. She flashed it around with practiced skill, juggling it up in the air and catching it.

"Indeed, you're magnificent. I forget the day myself. If it's Thursday, please excuse me." said Robin. Geli laughed and handed Starfire back to him. There was a rush of wings and Gwaeryn landed near them. Bowing to Geli, the Eagle said "Elen sila lumenn omentilmo." (A star shines on the hour of our meeting) "I will treasure our time in the skies together for ages."

Turning to CR, he said "I have missed our companionship. Let's go and scout ahead. I shall watch over you all and come to you in case of trouble."

Robin put on his pack and mounted the Eagle in his accustomed way. "I have missed this too. I will see you all in Bree, and set up accomodations for you all in the Prancing Pony."

With a gust of wind, Gwaeryn took off. "A wonderful company that has come together. I see many interesting adventures."

"As do I." said Robin.

"Last night, I was dreaming of hobbits, and the first encounter of the Eagles with them, when Bilbo came through the Misty Mountains. I dreamed I was the one who picked up the dwarf with Bilbo clinging to his legs. I could hardly keep from laughing when Bilbo compared us to forks, but pretended to take no notice. Then, when the Lord of the Eagles summoned me to the Great Shelf, I picked up Bilbo, and the next day, bore him as I bear you. How he pinched, he was so frightened!"

"So the Red Book spoke of him." answered Robin.

"Yet, a fire was within him just waiting to be awakened. As I found out with you. A small people with great hearts, the hearts of Eagles. Then Geli woke me up before I could awaken the song that was brewing within me."

Thinking of the dream, he sang softly:

A sleeping one, a dormant fire,
Awaiting to awaken,
Beware all who think them small,
The Hobbit children.

They need just a spark
To awaken the inner fire
A shard of the flame of Anor.
Awaken it to your peril.

The Great Ones marveled,
Indeed the Grey Pilgrim,
Mithrandir, Gandalf of old,
The Dark opposed them
And came to grief,
Little realizing their power.

Timid? A dragon in a pinch,
Needing only a tight place to awaken,
Then stand back,
Watch the small topple the Great,

It is a marvel that the One has engineered,
For which the Valar watch in astonishment,
An unexpected turn of the Great Song.

"You're turning into quite the singer, Gwaeryn" said Robin. "I've never heard of a singing Eagle before."

"Maybe the Last of the Eagles was meant to be so." said Gwaeryn, as he soared high. In the distance was Bree, and the Road winding around it. The dark dots of the Barrow-Downs and mist over the Old Forest to the southwest, with the green hills where they knew Bombadil and Goldberry would welcome them when the time came. He wheeled and saw far below, the Company breaking camp to leave for Bree. The Eagle kept his eyes open for bandits along the road.
Last edited by Cock-Robin on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They call him Flipper...

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:55 am

Fionavar waved merrily as Robin and Gwaeryn soared into the cloudless skies. The air was fair and it was a great day for travel. She loaded the last of her things onto Caloo who also appeared to be anxious to get on the road again. A loud noise startled her out of her inward thoughts.

"Caught ya!!"

It was Bril, who had jumped from behind the brush.

"You caught me doing nothing you mean. Where have you been?" She didn't sound cross, but still Bril shrank back a bit.

"I was getting breakfast for myself. One less mouth to feed." Bril looked at the four other members of their group and then back to Fionavar. "I think I will go ahead of you and see if I can find that boar for a large lunch." He didn't wait for a response, but whipped around and turned wolf as he loped away.

"HEY," was all she got out and realized it was bootless to try to get anything else in. Leading Caloo back to the fire pit, which was now cooling as Aramir kicked sand over the embers, she called the little group together. "Well, now we are five. Geli? Maybe you could lighten our path with tales of your magnificent travels? I know I would enjoy knowing more about you."

"Yes, Geli," smiled Aramir, "Why don't you enlighten us." The devilish gleam in his eyes was enough to cause Fionavar to grunt. Yes, she would watch this one carefully.

"Indeed, after all a jesters job is to please," she winked and smiled in such an effusive way that everyone was smiling back, not really knowing why.

The group set out with Geli back flipping her way in front of them, tiny bells jingled as she landed feet down and hands up once again. Fionavar knew she would enjoy the day. The only mystery was Ilarieth, who took a place at the back of the troop. She had hardly said a word during breakfast and kept stealing glances at Aramir. On the other hand, the small lad had been helpful to Robin gathering wood and berries and for all his slight form, Fionavar thought he would fit right in.

It would be a grand day. The happy trill of Geli's voice led them forward.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 am

As always, there was hustle and bustle on the market square. Gilmith and Gwinhir made some acquisitions, but for foodstuff, they mainly looked around to find the best providers. There was no sense to buy provisions before they knew when they would continue their journey. It wouldn't probably take more than a couple of days, though; Bree was located at an important crossroads, and trade caravans passed that way several times a week. There would certainly be one going south along the Greenway soon.

On their way back to the inn, they both noticed Kitty at the same time; the girl was getting off a horse in front of the smithy close to the market square. She didn't seem to notice the siblings.

Gilmith couldn't help noticing the way her brother looked at the girl again, and after they had walked a bit further, she said: "If I were you, I wouldn't get too friendly with that young woman. There's something in her that makes me alarmed."

"At least she isn't any farm girl, like you first thought," her brother answered quite sharply. "She said she's on her way home to Gondor."

"Yes, I heard that, too. No, she definitely isn't any farm lass, and I actually never really thought that. An adventurer in the best case, a criminal in the worst. Anyway, I have a hunch that she's up to no good, so you better be careful around her."

Back at the inn, Gilmith went up into her room to write a couple of letters to her friends. Gwinhir went to the common room to have a pint and talk with some of the locals. There, he met some traders who were expecting a delivery from Dale in a couple of days, and they could tell him that at least a part of the caravan would head toward Tharbad from Bree. That sounded quite promising.
rowanberry

Postby shaggydog » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:22 am

Gazing upwards through the pine branches above him, Bril could just make out the small dot that was Gwaeryn circling far over and ahead of the small party walking leisurely along the road to Bree. Still concealed in the woods to the side of the track, his ears pricked for the sound of Fiona’s light, merry voice. His excuse of looking for boar had not been entirely a false one. He knew already from the smell of things that it was highly unlikely any were afield in this part of the countryside. But he had felt . . .awkward, shy about keeping company with the, er, company they now kept. So, dutifully, if fruitlessly, he had taken a long morning run, nose to the ground, enjoying the multitude of scents on the earth and in the air. He had still managed to keep an ear and eye open for Fiona; he didn’t care to leave her completely unguarded. His opinion of her fellow travelers to protect her should any more evil doers appear was decidedly low. The early morning addition of yet one more, a scrawny lad Bril could have snapped in two with one bite, had not improved that opinion one iota.

With a strange mix of anxiety and pleasure, Bril’s thoughts wandered back to his pre-dawn awakening that morning. It was with a modicum of surprise that, upon opening his eyes, he had felt an unaccustomed warmth at his back. There Fiona lay curled up in a tight ball, her back to his. Bril was fairly immune to temperature fluctuations, even in his human skin. But for the girl he supposed the night had been a cold one. He had been careful not to move too suddenly, sitting up, wrapping his arms about his knees and yawning luxuriantly. Dawn had not yet declared itself above the tree tops, the gloom of night still lingered under the tree branches. Looking down at Fiona’s face, just visible peeping out of her blanket, Bril had felt a sense of disquiet with their new situation. A trek with Fiona, and Caloo, could not have suited Bril better. One that could last months was even more attractive. The appearance of Robin, and Gwaeryn, had altered the coziness of the trip, but Bril was happy for Fiona to have other company which seemed to entertain her well enough. Now though . . . Unable to better define his feelings as he still looked down at his sleeping friend, Bril had silently risen and taken himself off into the forest.

Later, after the others had eaten and made their preparations to begin their journey again, he had popped back long enough to make sure that she was alright. But the number of newcomers confounded him – there was even one more! How many had joined them last night? Bril, counting on his fingers had inventoried them. Besides Robin, and Gwaeryn, there was the wounded fellow, and his wife who had poisoned him, or however that story had gone. At the time, Bril’s empty stomach had prevented him from listening with any great attention. Then there was the female sorcerer, the one all in bright colors who had flown with the rising sun on the eagle’s great back. And now the scrawny boy, and another horse, who seemed polite enough but a bit aloof, at least according to Caloo. So, five newcomers altogether – a company of . . . ten? Far too many for Bril’s tastes. And thus, the sincere but token search for boar had taken him off yet again.

Whining slightly, Bril grasped the grouse he had taken earlier more securely between his jaws and trotted out onto the road. Coming alongside Fiona, he dropped the bird at her feet. Eying the scrawny boy speculatively, he unconsciously licked his chops before taking human form once more.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tygarya » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Later that day Kitty was sitting on the front porch of the Prancing Pony enjoying the sun, whittling a stick with one of her daggers. A wine bottle and glass weren’t too far away. She was wasting time as she waited for a ‘contact person’ to arrive; she was also waiting for her horse to be finished at the black smiths.
Kitty watched with interest as a couple of different travelling caravans arrived into town, it was just as one was making it’s way past that Gwinhir stepped outside to watch them also.
He started slightly when he saw Kitty with a dagger in her hand, but she just smiled at him.
‘Take a seat, this really is the best view for watching potential travelling companions arrive into Bree’
Gwinhir took the offered seat and watched with interest as the small group of about 4 people and two wagons trudged past.
‘So are you looking for a caravan to travel with too?’ he asked Kitty as they both watched the street.
‘Certainly am, and you never know, we might end up travelling together’ Kitty said turning her gaze to Gwinhir with a mischievous grin. ‘Wouldn’t that be nice?’
‘Yeh, I guess it would’ Gwinhir said slightly nervous. ‘So you’re from Gondor, what brought you this way?’
Kitty looked around the street casually. ‘Nothing much, just wanted to explore I guess’
Just then Kitty saw a man dressed in black hanging around some shadows across the street by another tavern. She stood up and grabbed a satchel, which before now Gwinhir had not noticed, that was beside her chair.
‘Excuse me won’t you’ Kitty said to Gwinhir and walked off across the street where she had a few words to the strange man, handed over the satchel and they both disappeared inside the tavern together. Something about what he saw made Gwinhir very nervous but excited.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Seldo had been loping along close to Aramir’s stirrup up until Bril reappeared. Now he stopped short a moment, mouth gaping like a fish and all, as he watched what he’d thought was a decent sized wolf take a human shape. He’d missed it the last time, helping the work in camp.
The eagle had surprised him less thanks to the swordsman’s warning. He was perfectly splendid of course… Seldo would come up short trying to describe the very sight to his brothers. Most likely he would have focused on Gwaeryn’s size. And his excellent ability to speak the common tongue. Actually, thinking about it, he wondered if he should leave the latter out if the hearer didn’t know anything about giant eagles. He’d be laughed out by the closest friend or relative. The boy couldn’t wait for all the proper introductions to be over. He, naturally, had a hundred questions to ask if the eagle was willing to tolerate him for even half a minute. Like how do eagles handle their bigger, arrogant brothers...

Bril, however, was something straight out of a camp fire myth at best. Seldo couldn’t even recall which one though. He soon remembered himself when he realized the… person was giving him a look over in return. He knew he was being rude and blushed a little as he tried to find something or someone more interesting to watch. Something stubborn returned to the boy’s tired face though when he realized he was still being measured. He didn’t want a quarrel, especially not with someone he didn’t know how to fight, but he was starting to feel like he needed to at least look tougher. So he leveled his mouth and held himself up as straight as he could and tried to walk like he’d seen the soldiers and the rangers walk in town. He caught up to Narmo and paid no direct attention to Bril anymore… Fiona seemed like a nice lady and if she allowed the wolf-man to keep her company that was enough for him.

It was their apparent relationship that kept the idea, that Bril as a wolf could possibly want to eat him, from entering Seldo’s mind. He firmly believed (and hoped) that his skinny frame would taste terrible anyway, raised as it was on oddly named root vegetables and coarse breads. This morning’s breakfast had been a feast for him, that was no understatement. It and the sunlight gave him a second wind for the day’s walk to Bree. Geli’s antics were somewhat fascinating too and she gave the lad something to figure on that made a little more sense. She was a far better tumbler than any of the gypsy folk that his cousin had loaned him some coppers to watch a year ago. He cracked a smile when he remembered the magic tricks they’d done too. He’d worked for weeks to learn some of them but he’d eventually decided that his hands just weren’t fast enough. Or he lacked something or some understanding that they were just born with. Magic… he wondered if the wolf-man was magic too and that’s how he did it. He doubted there would be a time for asking for a long time though.

Geli was just passing close to Aramir and the boy again when he remembered that only Aramir knew the name he’d chosen so far. It made him feel rather mean now though he'd just felt the need to be quiet then and the whirlwind morning had left little time for it. Seldo hadn’t even really introduced himself to Robin yet, as nice as the hobbit had been to him during the gathering and the eating. He’d have to remedy that later since Robin had gone ahead but there was no excuse to delay with the others. Maybe it was because he was still tired and three-quarters sensible, but he wasn’t afraid of these people… well most of them, outwardly.
“Ms. Geli is it? I’m Seldo. I wonder, have you come around here before? I did come see some gypsys perform in Bree once last year and maybe even before I could remember. Their horses danced around a ring in the field and the tumblers danced atop them too! They weren’t so nimble on the ground as you are though... no offense to them I mean.”
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:37 pm

nothing to see here, move along.
Last edited by rwhen on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:38 pm

The day was perfect and the company in high spirits. Bree was not that far away as to be anxious for the leagues they would travel and food was usually a topic for conversation on journeys such as these.

"Is it time to eat yet," Ar threw the question to the air, obviously hoping someone would catch it and get the not too subtle hint.

Fionavar looked back at him and pointedly led Caloo in his direction. "You make sure that my pony follows you and I will make sure your stomach is not neglected, deal?" She held out her hand with the reins.

"Uh, well I guess." Ar stammered taking the ponys lead.

"Good." Fionavar now was free to go looking for Bril, which was what was on her immediate agenda anyway. She left the road and pushed through the low brush. It took only a few moments to see the black bushy tail above the berry bushes, wagging back and forth. Maybe she could sneak up on him.

When she got to the point that she could crouch down and peer through the berries, Bril's muzzle was covered in a purple-ish juice, it even had splashed up to the tips of his ears. Fionavar jumped from the bush.

"SO, THIS is hunting boar, eh? Looks to me like you got boared." She laughed at her own joke. Bril, who was startled, but not frightened by the young ladys tactics, just snarled and finished lapping up the remaining berries from the ground.

"Would you be so kind as to," she waved a hand vaguely with a crooked look on her face, "you know, do that thing you do to become human again so I can walk with you?"

Bril showed his canine's approximating a smile before morphing. His face now purple looked silly. Fionavar wet down her bandana and handed it over. "Clean your face, you silly mutt."

"I am NO mutt, I am fierce and strong and...." his words were muffled as he attempted to clean his face.

"Yeah and big and bad and all that other stuff too. Give me that bandana, you are making more of a mess." She tended to the worst of the stains, looking Bril straight in the eyes as she did so. "So, did you see any boar sign?"

"mffffyessshhh," he pointed to some smallish tracks that ran beside the berry bush line. "He went in there." Following his finger, only now did she notice a burrow with a dark looking entrance.

"Well, so why haven't you got him yet if he is in...THERE."

"I was waiting for the right time."

"The right time is now, we have hungry people waiting for something to eat."

"Fine. Do YOU want to go poking a stick in that burrow?" His eyes gleamed, he knew that Fionavar was no hunter and probably knew next to nothing about boars.

"Is that a dare then?" She folded her arms over her breasts and shoved her face far forward taunting Bril right back. "Because I will do it ya know."

Then it happened. Their faces only inches apart, Bril kissed Fionavar. It happened so fast and then he retreated one pace. Dead silence. She jerked backwards and wiped her lips. "Whaaat. What was that?"

"I don't know, honestly I don't know WHY I did that, I mean like I would want to kiss you anyway." His face was red from the neckline to his chin. "But it is probably what you needed." He looked anywhere but back to his friends face, afraid of what he would see.

"Like you know what I need? And I suppose YOU are the one to teach me to kiss?" Her voice dripped sarcasm.

"Oh HO, I see, so I was right, you have never been kissed."

Fionavar trod angrily towards the burrow. "I didn't SAY that, did I?" Scooping up some loose gravel she tossed it into the hole and turned to face Bril, hands on hips. "If I wanted you to kiss me, which I am not saying that I DON'T, I will tell you. So what do you think of that?"

"I think you better run and run fast, I hear that boar coming out of his home now."

All thoughts fled from Fionavars mind, she raced past Bril her heart beating wildly and headed to the closest tree. It only took a moment to shimmy up and stop to catch her breath. What surprised her was that Bril was right under her, also in the tree.

"YOU!! By all that is holy, what are you doing up this tree? You are supposed to be down there." She pointed to the ground, the angry boar was circling the tree now.

"ME? You can't be serious."

"Yes I can be and I am. What are we supposed to do in this tree?"

Bril looked down to the boar and a goofy smile appeared on his face. "Well, we could start on that education of yours."

Fionavar wasted no time grabbing her skin that carried her water and dumped it down on the head of her friend. "How is that for an education?"

****to be continued*****
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Robin sailed through the skies on Gwaeryn, feeling the old lift to his spirits which happened every time he rode with his avian friend. "I really missed this, my friend."

"I thought you had forgotten me." said Gwaeryn. "You had a bunch of new friends, and wouldn't fly with me."

"Gwaeryn, you aren't JEALOUS, are you?"

The Eagle spluttered. "Jealous? Now why would you say that?"

"Because I know you, old bird."

"Well, maybe a little. But then I missed you, even when Geli asked to fly with me."

There was no more to be said on that matter. "Look! There's Bree down there."

The Eagle laughed. "One doesn't need eagle eyes to see that town. And with Bree, Bombadil's house is next."

"He's going to be awfully pleased when he hears your new talent." said Robin.

"I know. We can share a song or two together now. I always saw a sparkle in his eye when he sang around me. I think he knew something I didn't."

"He knows a lot of things others don't, Gwaeryn. But he takes it all in stride. I can't wait to see him and Goldberry again."

"Well, we'll have to wait on our new friends for a little bit, while you enjoy yourselves at the Pony. Well, it's time to set you down." He circled down and soon landed around the bend from the northern gates of Bree. "I'll be up there watching, old shoe."

"Now you know I don't wear shoes, but thanks, Gwaeryn." The bird nodded and took off again, and soon was just a dot up in the sky.

Robin walked down the road and came around the bend. The northern gate was there, and open as it was during the day. The gatekeeper saw him and said "Name your business."

"Robin Smallburrow at your service. I'm on my way to the Pony for a while. Please keep your eyes open for some friends of mine who are on their way. I think they'll be here by evening."

"Sure thing, Master Hobbit. Come on in."

Robin looked around. Bree hadn't changed much at all since he had last been there. He knew his way, and it was only a little while later when he was at the door of the Prancing Pony. He knew the proprieter, who was a descendant of Barliman Butterbur. He came bustling past and stopped. "Cock-Robin! A pleasure to meet you again. The same room as before?"

"Yes, my good Butterbur." said Robin. "And I'm going to have company later today, or tonight, depending on how long they take."

"I'll keep a place waiting. Come on in!"

Robin entered and made his way to the Common Room, ordered a beer and pulled out his pipe. He looked around to see who was there. The usual mixed crowd. Well, he had a lot of waiting to do.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby shaggydog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:29 am

The splash of water did little to divert Bril’s attention from either the brat above him or the beast below. True, the kiss had been the product of pure impulse. But Fiona could at least have accepted it a bit more gracefully. After all, who had snuggled up to whom during the chill of the night?

Torn now between making good his offer to further instruct Fiona in the fine art of kissing, (of which Bril himself knew little but was hoping inspiration and instinct would carry him forward) and teaching the grunting, snuffling boar below him a lesson in the fall out of chasing people up trees, Bril shook water droplets from his hair and decided on the latter. If he was going to get mauled, he preferred it to be in a good, clean fight of animal on animal, not the ever obscure maneuvering which went on between man and woman.

The first problem was going to be changing back into wolf form now that he was perched twenty feet up on a branch, wolves not be very well known for their tree climbing, or tree exiting, abilities. Calculating that the elements of surprise and weight would be helpful, he launched himself into space, hoping the transformation would be complete by the time he hit his target. Luckily, this proved to be the case and he landed on the extremely surprised boar’s back in dire wolf form, almost of an equal weight, and with claws and fangs at the ready. Being on the animal’s back was also a plus in that he easily avoided the razor sharp tusks, allowing him to sink his teeth into the neck and hold on for the ride. The boar bucked, jumped, crow hopped and almost cart wheeled about under the tree, trying to dislodge his unwelcome passenger. Bril vaguely registered Fiona’s voice, but whether she was cautioning him or laughing at what must have been a quite ridiculous sight, he didn’t know. The two continued to hop about like this before the boar finally opted for flight instead of fight and took off into the underbrush, Bril still firmly attached like a limpet. He dared not let up his grip, but he dug his claws in as best he could and tugged with all his might at the thick neck. His own weight was telling on the boar, who slowed and finally stumbled, giving Bril his chance. As his prey struggled to regain its balance, the wolf lunged and sought a death grip on the throat, tearing with iron like grip, rending the flesh. The boar continued to struggle and stagger forward, but the end was upon it. Bril ripped at its belly with his claws and the blood flowed from many wounds. Sinking to its knees, the boar still flopped about feebly but Bril held tight his grip, ripping the flesh further. Finally, the boar’s eyes glazed over then rolled back in the sockets, the body trembled and then lay still. Bril slowly relaxed his grip, licking his lips, the blood in his mouth making his saliva run freely.

Sitting back on his haunches, he whined, the smell of death in his nostrils, exciting him. His ears pricked and swiveled backwards as he heard her footfall behind him. His first instinct was to whip around, growling his ownership of the carcass. He remembered in time it was Fiona, and instead, he turned in her direction, his tail wagging softly. The look on her face was enough. Her skin was ashen, her eyes big as saucers, her mouth in a tight “O”, although she said naught. Bril cringed, smelling rather than seeing the blood which covered his front legs, chest and face. With a bound, he disappeared into the bushes, Fiona’s call ignored, the image of her reaction to him seared into his memory.
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:39 am

At first Fionavar kept to her treetop lookout, but when she lost sight of the battle, she skittered down the tree and headed in the general direction of the skirmish. Rounding a corner she was just in time to see the last expression of fight remaining in the boar, then it was over.

Her shock and amazement at the amount of blood in the area, from the boar and on Bril was evident in her stance and on her face. She was rooted to the spot, not knowing what to say, swallowing to fend off the automatic response to spew. Her mouth was opening and closing like a beached carp, her eyes watering and her hands clenching and unclenching.

The swift departure of Bril brought her around to her senses as she called out for him to stop. She knew that he had only killed the boar because she wanted him too and now, she had acted like the unseasoned traveler that she really was and had hurt Bril. The trail was easy enough to follow and she found him, in human form, grooming himself by a small creek. She approached as quietly as possible, but with the acute hearing of a wolf, he turned to see her.

"Don't say a word. If you can't take the killing, then don't ask me to do the act." Bril spat out the words more harshly than he intended to but dared not take it back.

Fionavar sat next to him on the bank of the source of water and put her arm around his shoulders. "You are not to blame for my reaction, Bril. I was taken by surprise." They sat comfortably for a few moments, both looking at the beautiful area so close now to Bree, and warmed by each others company.

"I think we should go back and get it," Bril finally offered into the verbal void.

"Get it?" Fionavar seemed confused.

"Well, you want it don't you? I didn't kill that thing for nothing, did I?"

"Oh!!" she thought of the dead animal again. "Um, could I ask you to bring it to me and I will clean it up in this creek?" The thought of seeing the site of the battle caused her stomach to leap once again.

"Sure, be right back." Bril trotted in manform and soon returned with the beast. "Actually for all the dang thing bled, it is still in pretty good shape for dressing." He caught the slack face on Fionavar. "Don't you worry, I will handle it."

Fionavar watched in fascination and a slight distaste as Bril gutted and skinned the boar and now the animal resembled something she would have purchased at the butchers shop.

"Thank you. I watched closely and I think I can help in the future. We WILL be traveling for quite sometime, I can't always act the ninny with this sort of thing." Fionavar smiled largely to her friend.

"Hey, I sorta like helping you, but you could reward me with a kiss and because it is YOUR idea." He closed his eyes and waited expectantly.

She bent over and gently kissed his waiting lips. Brief, but sweet. "That is all you get mister. Now haul that thing from the creek and let's get back to the road. We will have us a fine meal." She started off and when she looked back at Bril, she noted that he was wearing the same silly grin that she was. That won't do at all, she thought and schooled her features.

After a short scout around, they finally found the rest of the travelers, who had stopped and waited for them. A merry fire was burning and the boar was spitted and turned while fruits, breads and cheeses were laid out.

After everyone had eaten their fill, the campsite cleaned and pony packed again, the happy group continued on to Bree.

"We should make Bree a few hours before the sun sets," Geli commented, still jingling before them, an effusive smile afixed to her feminine roundish face.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am

Gwinhir stared after Kitty for quite a long while after she had gone into the tavern with the mysterious man in black. Somehow, she scared him. But, at the same time, he found her very fascinating.

An adventurer in the best case, a criminal in the worst...

For some reason, he couldn't believe that she would actually be a criminal, although she definitely didn't seem to be completely innocent. So, probably "adventurer" would hit closer...

When he went inside and upstairs to tell his sister about the caravan that would suit their needs, he caught himself hoping that Kitty would join the same caravan southward.
rowanberry

Postby ^Aramir^ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Aramir didn't think he'd been with his new found companions long enough to annoy them--well, not seriously, anyhow--so he'd been a bit surprised when Fiona had abruptly shoved her pony's reins into his hands after he'd--quite innocently, mind you--mentioned lunch.

"You make sure that my pony follows you," she'd said, "and I will make sure your stomach is not neglected, deal?"

More flustered than he should have been, he'd taken the leather straps and watched her trot off into the woods, wondering if he should shout an apology after her. On the other hand, the way she'd headed off into the forest had made him think that perhaps getting away from him was not her intent. At least, he'd hoped that were the case. It would be a shame if these people found a trivial reason to dislike him before they could learn a legitimate one.

But whether they found him agreeable had not been a matter of concern. In fact, when he thought about it, he couldn't even recall having asked about food--his mind had wandered far from that subject, although his stomach must have been near enough to convince his mouth to take the issue to someone who could do something about it. No, Aramir had been far more interested in the man called Bril than with the promised boar.

He'd morphed from wolf to human form, and then back into wolf again, right before the party's eyes. Aramir was quite certain of that. He was equally aware that no one had reacted. At all. Well, Seldo had, but he was just a boy who had run away from a life of monotony; everything was bound to impress him. From the others there had been a few gasps, but they were more the 'I'm surprised by unexpected motion at my side' sort of gasps than the 'Wow, my travelling companion just turned into a wolf' sort. Aramir had never transformed into a wolf, but he'd had enough other secrets spilled to know the difference between the two sounds. Perhaps his companions were mulling the mysterious event over in their minds, just as he was.

They'd left the road, made a fire, and eaten the boar which Bril and Fiona had brought from the woods. Delicious as it was, Aramir had been unable to enjoy it. Instead he'd scanned the area, watching his companions' expressions and listening for anything that might suggest the least bit of apprehension about Bril. Seldo's face was scrunched up in concentration as he devoured his food, all other thoughts driven out momentarily by his stomach's insistence that he fill it now, in case he were forced to go hungry for another long duration of time. Between bites, Geli was telling a somber-looking Ilarieth a vivid tale of some death-defying stunt she'd performed; the jester caught his eye and winked, and he suddenly wondered if the death-defying stunt involved him without his shirt on. Robin had flown off with Gwaeryn the eagle, and Aramir wondered, shading his eyes with his hand while he peered at the clouds, whether the two of them knew about Bril's unusual talent. Fiona was sitting next to the man in question, talking quietly with him, a look of such calm on her face that Aramir didn't even consider the possibility that she was just covering up some hidden fear.

He wanted them to react, he thought as they rode on towards Bree. But why? He twirled Narmo's mane in his fingers, wondering. What could possibly be causing such a cruel desire, that he would want his companions to be appalled by Bril? After all, if these people were unaffected by a wolf-turned-man-turned-wolf-turned... shapeshifter , then wasn't there a good chance they would be equally calm in the face of his own unique ... problem? How would they react to him? Would they react at all? How exactly did a changeling compare to someone like him? Orcs were inherently evil, but wolves were just animals acting on instinct, right? But on the other hand, Bril could actually become a wolf and might be subject to a wolf's unpredictable nature. If wasn't as though Aramir could morph into an Orc at will--he shuddered just thinking about that. Would his travelling companions consider any of this? Would they even find his secret out? And if so...

He dizzied himself for a moment running through all the possibilities in his head; they were set out in an awkward pattern, staggered here and there so that he had to dash from one to another, back and forth, with no set course and no foreseeable destination. Yet he could somehow imagine the end result, feel the fear and rejection he'd experienced so many times before. Yes, they'd find out. They always did, somehow...

You certainly do like attention. He frowned as the voice in his head made its bothersome presence known. Even if it's negative attention, you've got to have it!

"Not true," he muttered, trying to turn his attention to Seldo, who was walking along ahead of him, trying his best to strut like a warrior of some sort. But even the boy's antics couldn't distract him.

The voice was right. He liked all the misunderstanding and distrust; it gave him some small measure of justification for all the moping he did in his head whenever no one was looking. Life was unfair, the world was against him, nothing would ever be the same... As long as there were people out there who judged him for what he was, and not who, then he could keep thinking these things, and he wouldn't have to move forward. He could live in the moment, focus all his energy on feeling sorry for himself, on hoping that someday they would all wake up and realize their mistake and let him come home. As long as he had that, he wouldn't have to think about building a new life.

“I think that there is something Aramir hasn’t told us.” ... "I swore it and I meant it!" ... "What are you really, Aramir Naregond?!" ... "I don't even know anymore. I just want this to end." ... "I'm so afraid." ... "I wanted to protect you, and I failed.." ... "I won't let them. I'll die if that's what it takes!" ... "...show them the truth!" ... "I don't want to die." ... "STOP!"

Lee...

...Kellian...

"Master Robin!"

Aramir's eyes flew open and he realized with more than a little shock that he was halted at the main gate of Bree, and that standing there in the setting sunlight, waiting for the travelling party, was the Hobbit who had flown off earlier in the day. He was waving amiably, ready, Aramir supposed, to escort them to their accommodations.

He shook his head and wiped the conflicted emotions from his eyes as the last of his thoughts trailed off into memory and his stomach, satisfied only moments ago, it seemed, grumbled unhappily. From down the road, the smell of something delicious greeted the travelers. At least, Aramir thought with a wry grin at himself, moping was good for something...
^Aramir^
Shield Bearer

Postby Tygarya » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:53 am

Kitty was feeling more than a little delicate the next morning when, armed with a bottle of red wine to ward of the encroaching headache, she stumbled out onto the porch of the Prancing pony midmorning just in time to see another caravan of people coming into town, they seem to have been stopped by the gate momentairily which gave Kitty the chance to see what a strange collection of people they were. Kitty's first thought was that they were a travelling circus, but on closer scrutiny she could see they were in fact the diverse group of travellers Kitty had been waiting for.
Now all she had to do was think of some way to approach them.

Just then they were brought through the gates and lead across to where the Prancing Pony was suituated.

'Perfect' thought Kitty, 'They are even staying in the same place as I am'
Kitty carefully placed the bottle of wine on the ground beneath the table she sat at and gave the ladies of the group a pleasant smile as they past, the guys of the group smiled at her...typically, but Kitty smiled back as she needed to make sure she got on well with this group.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Robin met the party at the northern gate of Bree. Taking the pipe out of his mouth, he said "Well, you took your own sweet time to come here." and laughed.

"We didn't have a swift Eagle to take us." said Fiona.

"Well said!" said Robin. "The Pony awaits you. Come with me, but be careful. Not all are wholesome here. There are thieves and pickpockets who could rob you blind and you'd never know it." he chattered happily as he led them on.

The Keep greeted the party at the door. "Here they are, my good Man." he said, introducing them in turn. "All those names. I'm sure I'll forget half of them before the night's over. We have a dinner prepared for all of you. A large parlor awaits, and hopefully some of you will be for the Common Room later? The people love tales from travelers."

"Of course, later." said Robin. "We're on our way to Gondor, eventually, for the Festival."

"Ah, yes. There are several going that way, and a few tonight."

He and the party passed a woman who sat at a table with a bottle. Smiling and nodding to her, he passed. He had already eaten, but it was well known this hobbit was a bottomless pit, like most were. He would gratefully accept a second dinner.

Soon, all were seated to a well-set table.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwaeryn circled above, a mere dot in the sky, and watched the party enter the inn. Off to the west was a dark line which were the Barrows on the edge of Bombadil's country, and far off as the sun set, a light twinkled at Tom's house. He couldn't resist, and darted over there, as he wouldn't be needed until the morning.

Landing outside the house, he saw old Tom leap up in the air.

Ho, come merry dol, derry dol, my hearty!
The Eagle comes, alone it seems,
Impatient for a party!
So why do you come alone, when more would be more merry?

Gwaeryn laughed, bowed, and responded in song:

Master, I come far ahead,
To announce their coming.
Cock-Robin, my hobbit friend
And more to swell the party.

A fair maiden, no, two,
To delight the River-Daughter.
A man who changes to a beast,
In need of brighter company.

More than that I do announce,
and it will be a grand party.
I stay to spend the night
Then tell them of your welcome!

Tom laughed, clapped the Eagle on the neck, and said "I knew you had the song in you. My lovely lady will be delighted to hear it. Come, spend the night here, then greet the dawn with us! Ho, come derry dol, merry dol, my darling!"

Gwaeryn would spend the night in his usual perch on top of the stable. He wouldn't dare eat any of the ponies there, so they were safe from his ravenous hunger. He would hunt later elsewhere. The Eagle was content to guard. He heard the songs within the house with Tom and Goldberry discussing their coming guests and was happy for them.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Frelga » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Geli was definitely for common room. The jester was ever loathe to deprive the world of her magnificence. She took a detour on her way to the dining parlor. As she stepped into the lamplight, a small crystal sphere appeared in her hand. It reflected the whole room at once - benches, mugs and grubby coats all curved upside down around the glowing core. Geli spun it on her finger and slipped down the back of her hand to circle her wrist and settle in the other palm. Geli drifted through the crowd, her thin face serene, her eyes fixed on the glowing globe. The sphere seemed to have a mind of its own, now rocking on steepled hands, now rolling along the sleeve all the way to the shoulder, as the girl's slim arms weaved a dance around it.

One by one, the patrons hushed their talk and turn their chairs around to watch the juggler. At the door of the parlor, Geli tossed the ball high to the ceiling. Catching the candlelight, it blazed with all the radiance of a Silmaril, or so it seemed in the dim room. It dropped into Geli's hands and vanished. A moment later, so did the jester, who slipped through the door to join the company.

Geli plopped down at the table between the hobbit and Ilarieth, limp and apparently exhausted. "Magnificence can be a burden," she sighed, her eyes turned heavenward. "One always must come up with something more magnificent the next time. Don't you think, Master Sworddancer?" She winked at Aramir and sat up, suddenly reanimated like a grass blade after a rain. Brown fingers drummed on the table. "Say, I wonder if any of you fair sirs and ladies have considered a career in show business," she asked, with a calculating look at Bril. A shapeshifter - a tame one, too! Now that had possibilities.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Tygarya » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Kitty had followed the girl into the common room and was leaning with arms folded against the wall by the door with a slightly amused expression. Kitty had seen lots of these tricks when in Gondor, the streets were full of them. It reminded her of home, but also instilled in her not to trust the young girl or let her anywhere near her own stuff.
Just then a hobbit and a man from the company walked in and sat down, as they passed Kitty the man appraised her once and the hobbit smiled, like he had when they had arrived.
Kitty could sense the arrogance in the man and laughed inwardly as the young girl slumped down next to him, she seemed to disturb him slightly and that amused Kitty even more.
As Kitty straightened and walked over to bar she noticed the man's eyes flick up in her direction. Kitty didn't look over, but ordered another bottle and walked to a far table and sat down. Finally meeting the man's eyes across the room. His were wary eyes, he could see by the way she held herself and what she wore that she was not to be messed with. Kitty decided to look away uninterested. She wondered briefly if he would listen to his own instincts or not. Regardless Kitty had decided that this was the group for her to travel with indeed.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:59 pm

"Say, I wonder if any of you fair sirs and ladies have considered a career in show business."

Geli was speaking with the other men of the group while Seldo sat himself as near to the warm glow of the fire as he could safely. Sometimes he felt it was just better that way… but what way was he thinking of? He wasn’t sure… he trusted most of the group well enough but spending time in such a big town was making him nervous. From here he could watch everyone in the parlor and through the door to the common room without being underfoot… or expected to do something that would jeopardize his plans.
As he kept thinking on it though he remembered that he had always come to town for work on his own and that had been a long time ago and he had started off from the farm in the entirely opposite direction. Days ago. Bree would have been the first place they asked around besides looking in their own fields. He doubted they would be looking for him in Bree now if they were still looking at all.The barkeep hadn't even recognized him and the other villagers weren't paying him anymore mind than the lady at the far end of the room was. She was pretty but not like Ms. Fiona. Her look was rougher, even a little hard. It didn't take much for him to pin her as an outlander in any case. She seemed to be alone and he was less sure of her than he was of the ploughmen at the bar. He would be glad if she considered him less than the washer boys and returned his attention to the table and his own thoughts.
Bree was sill a little too close to make him very happy, but it was a start. It perked him up a little and a full belly allowed him to begin seriously considering the other parts of his plans. He would have to bother someone for less used clothes first but where would he go tomorrow? He didn’t even know where everyone else was going. His geography past Bree was rather poor. Robin had mentioned Gondor and Fiona and Bril had to be going somewhere. A lady and her… guard on the road? They definitely knew where they were going. And their packs bespoke the distance they planned to travel. He had to ask and Fiona seemed to be the least involved at the table.

“Ms. Fiona, where be this Gondor that Master Robin spoke of? Be that where you and Master Bril are going?”
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby ~Fionavar~ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:00 am

Fionavar picked at her food while Geli charmed and amazed the crowds. When she had found a seat at their table Fionavar thought, we could easily call her Geli the Charming or Geli the Amazing as Magnificent, ANY day of the week, either way she was very happy to have someone of Geli's talent along for the adventure.

It was then that she stopped to look at each member of the group. They were all so different, unique in their own ways. She had already sized up Geli, then her gaze turned to Aramir. He was cocky, but she really didn't know all that much about him yet. He would not be going to Master Tom's house and certainly, the young girl who seemed to be accompanying him would not leave him. Fionavar knew really nothing about her. Robin was fast becoming a great friend with Gwaeryn as a protector and guide. And Bril, well time would tell for what would happen between the two of them. There was much time yet for that sort of thinking.

Finally her steady eye settled on the young boy with the group. Seldo, she remembered his name with a bit of difficulty. As she was sizing him up, the boy spoke to her.

“Ms. Fiona, where be this Gondor that Master Robin spoke of? Be that where you and Master Bril are going?”

"Please, just Fiona will do. I am a farm girl at heart and have no need for titles, though I do appreciate you making the effort." She closed her eyes and thought of the map that was safely stowed on Caloo, she could see Gondor at the far Eastern side of the map. "We are very far from Gondor. It will take many many months of travel to get there and that is if we do not encounter any problems. Have you ever been?"

"Me, maa...? Sorry, Fiona. Naw, I never been much past ...." Seldo stopped and looked the lady in the eyes, not sure what to say.

Fionavar picked up on his hesitation. She placed a hand companionably on his shoulder. "Not to worry, Seldo. We all have our secrets." She stole a look at Bril who happened to be looking at her hand on Seldo's shoulder. She let it drop casually and turned back to the boy. "If you have no home and would like to travel with us, we go to see Tom Bombadil. He is really a character, if the stories are true." She leaned in conspiritorially...."I don't even know that he exists."

Seldo's eyes rounded in wonder. "I dunno. It sounds like a good plan. Can I tell you in the morning?"

Fionavar stuck out a hand and grabbed Seldo's when he seemed uncertain and pumped it. "That is a deal. I think I shall retire now, planning, packing and decisions can wait until the morning." She stood and addressed the table. "Friends, I am in need of sleep. I hope that by morning you will have all decided on the route you will take from Bree. As you know, Robin, Bril and myself will be going to Master Tom's house for a day or two."

Each person looked to the other, but not a word was spoken. That was when Fionavar noticed an attractive woman in the corner looking their way. When she turned to leave the table, the woman stood. What could it hurt, Fionavars mind churned. She strode to the woman.

"Hello, my name is Fionavar from Lake Evendim most recently. Not to intrude, but I noticed you were alone and appear to be traveling. Are you going to the Celebration?"

"Celebration?" Kittys pretty face turned down. "I am traveling, but I am not yet certain my direction. My name is Kitty." She did not offer her hand as was accustomed in this area. But her large eyes seem to miss nothing.

"There is a celebration in Gondor to have all free peoples of Middle Earth rejoice in the extended period of freedom from war and enemy. It is not until next year, but several friends and I will be taking the long way around and see all the country."

Kitty looked as if she was thinking. "It may be possible that our road travels in the same direction. There is a family pair in Bree that I had also thought to hook up with. Can I get back to you on that?"

"Sure. We will be at this establishment for a few days." Fionavar turned and called behind her, "I hope to see you again, Kitty." On her way up the stairs, she passed a couple that were so close in resemblance that Fionavar thought they had to be the family Kitty had spoken of.

The steps seemed impossibly steep. She was very tired. Even the door to her room was heavy. She pushed and was closing the door behind her, when something stopped that action.

"Not so fast," Bril stood on the threashold. "I am going to sleep right outside your door tonight. I don't like the looks of all these strangers in this place." His look dared her to deny him the honor, but Fionavar was much to sleepy to bicker.

She hugged Bril, "have it your way. See you in the morning," she completed the last sentance with a mighty yawn. The bed felt warm and welcoming as she fell into a deep and restful sleep.
~Fionavar~
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Robin stayed a little while when Fiona had retired for the night. He spoke with Seldo for a while.

"Aye, I have been to Gondor a while ago." he said. "It will be awe-inspiring for you to see the great city of Minas Anor, which shelters under the shadow of Mt. Mindolluin. It was named Minas Tirith, the Tower of Guard during the war, but the King changed its name back afterward.

It is a fair city, so they say, it recalls the days of Numenor in its glory. Much of the evils of the War have been healed, and the mountains of far Mordor are no longer a threat.

Two of the Companions still remain, the Elf Legolas and the Dwarf Gimli. Due to the labors of their remaining people, it has become more fair than before.

Its sister city, Minas Morgul in Morgul-vale has been destroyed, but rumor reached me that during the Celebration, ground will be broken to rebuild the Tower of the Moon, as most of the harms are in the process of being healed, and the Stewards, the Lords of Ithilien, have many plans.

It will be a great sight to see the White Tree flowering in the grounds of the Citadel once again. It will be many months before we get there, but I look forward to the Celebration."

He had also seen the rebuilding of ancient Osgiliath which was in progress the last time he had visited. Some had gone to live there to work to restore the city.

He stretched and yawned. "But more stories will wait. To bed for me, and then hopefully in the next few days, I hope to see Master Tom Bombadil at his merry home."

He got up and bowed, and went to his usual room. He was more wary than most, and a light sleeper, from his habits in the Wild.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwaeryn slept on his perch outside Tom's house. It seemed to be his fate as the Last of the Great Eagles to relive the deeds of his ancient kin.

The Great Battle, the Battle of Wrath, raged about Angband. The hosts of Morgoth, the Great Enemy, of whom even Sauron was only a servant or emissary, were scattered before the wrath of the Valar and the Eldar. The trumpets of Eonwe echoed through the land, Beleriand was ablaze with the glory of their arms, and the host of the Valar were arrayed in forms young and fair and terrible, and the mountains rang beneath their feet.

The Balrogs had been destroyed, except for the few that fled the ruin of Angband to hide in the deep roots of the earth, the Orcs were scattered. Now, Morgoth was driven to his last desperate assault, and released the winged dragons, led by Ancalagon the Black.

Gwaeryn was again participating in the battle, hearkening to the call of Thorondor his lord. The battle lasted all day and all night, and Earendil, the Silmaril bound to his brow, slew Ancalagon the Black, and the triple peaks of Thangorodrim were broken in his ruin.

Gwaeryn fought one of the lesser kin, and the battle was fierce and glorious. He was able to espy the Valar bring Morgoth to bay, and lead him away in chains. The great Battle ended in victory, but Beleriand was broken in the fierceness of the battle, and much that was fair in Middle-Earth was gone forever.

Gwaeryn lifted up his beak in song to commemorate the events of that day.

The Great Battle, the War of Wrath,
The Vanquishing of Melkor the Accursed,
Evil was vanquished that day,
But not destroyed,
Not until the Last Battle
When Morgoth once again is released to go finally into the Void.

The glories of the Elder Days have passed from Middle-Earth,
Kept alive in memory by a few,
and alive in fact in Eressea, in Valinor,
Where the Valar watch the Song unfold.

The Three Holy Jewels go to their place,
In Earth, Sky and Water,
And their virtue still remains in the world,
Until the day it is broken.

The Eagles, the Servants of Manwe remember,
And call to each other of the Days of Light;
Keeping the days alive for those who will hear.

The One, Eru Illuvatar knows,
And within him rests the glories of the Music,
Which remain hidden until the end of days.

When the Eagles return, vanguard of the Valar,
Led by Thorondor, our ancient lord
To herald the end of the Old and the dawn of the New.

O men of Middle-Earth, the memory shall grow dim,
But I implore you, remember the days in your lore.
The day that candle is snuffed,
Impoverished you shall be.

Maglor, the Last of Feanor's sons,
Still does wander, and sing his laments,
Of glories that have faded,
Of might-have-beens that never were,
If pride and an oath rash had not marred a great hand.

The glory of the arrayed hosts I shall remember,
The Valar, the Eldar, and the Men who now remain.
Who vanquished the hosts of Angband,
And songs still echo of the Great Deeds.
And the Last of the Eagles remembers.

Gwaeryn stirred, and awoke. The moon was scattering light around Tom's house, and he saw both Tom and Goldberry standing there, holding candles and listening.

"A lovely song, my friend. I am glad you have found your voice." said Goldberry.

The Eagle bowed. "Fair Lady Goldberry." he said in a hush. "Forgive me for waking both of you. It seems my lot to remember the deeds of my people."

Tom laughed. "It was a good thing to awake and hear, Gwaeryn." he said. "Now sleep, and remember. And when your friends arrive, then we shall have our party." With that, they turned and went into their house.

Gwaeryn nodded, put his head back under his wing, and slept the night through, his only dream was of the flight he would one day take into the West, with the tower of Avallone shining as a vanguard to the Undying Lands.

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tygarya » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Kitty was watching the new group with interest when she saw a young blond woman stand up and head in her direction. Kitty’s eyes went flat and wary as she approached. She started off by introducing herself, not the sort of thing Kitty was used to, but she offered her name back while she folded her arms.
Kitty wasn’t about to give away what direction she was going to travel in within ear shot of so many people.....trust no one, so she said she would get back to this Fiona, although she had already decided that this group was perfect for blending into......if they left early enough. Kitty really had to think about getting out of Bree, she still had no idea what had happened to the gang that pursued her....and she took no chances.
Kitty watched the woman leave, she looked exhausted. Kitty also noticed a young scruffy looking man get up immediately and follow her. Looked like puppy love, Kitty thought to herself with a grin.

Kitty then walked over to where Gwinhir and his sister were eating. Kitty sat down in a spare seat at their table, much to the disgust and surprise of Gilmith. Gwinhir however sat up straight and smiled.
“Greetings again Gwinhir” Kitty said ignoring the huffing Gilmith. “I have news for you, knowing that you’re looking for some travelling companions to Gondor, I have been approached by a lady from that group over there....’ Kitty pointed over her shoulder at the ones who were left. “I mentioned to her about you and your sister travelling in the same direction, so if you are interested I can introduce you to her in the morning?”
“For how much?” Gilmith asked indignantly, as Gwinhir quickly hushed her.
“Now Gilmith, I’m sure Kitty here wasn’t meaning that.” He turned to Kitty with a questioning look. “Were you?”
Kitty laughed a delightful musical laugh that filled the room momentarily. “Of course not, but it is good that your sister is untrusting, not all people should be trusted” Kitty grinned a beaming smile at Gilmith, daring her to ask if Kitty should be trusted, but Gilmith remained silent. Kitty turned back to Gwinhir. “So I will see you for breakfast then” Kitty patted Gwinhir’s hand, causing him to suddenly get very hot, as she got up and walked away back to the bar.
Kitty ordered another bottle of wine and with a glass in hand went out to the garden. As she left another figure got up from a dark corner, a shabby looking character, and followed her out.
Kitty sat down at a small bench and poured her wine, looking up at the stars. No one else was outside yet.
“What is it?” she said to the shadows, as the shabby man stepped out and sat down beside her. He flinched back suddenly as he felt a knife against his ribs. “Too close, friend, next time you get no warning, and why must you insist on these shabby smelly disguises” Kitty whispered as the knife disappeared again and the man scooted back to the other side of the bench. “So have you heard anything?” she asked him.
“Only that some bodies were found on the road, about three days travel back, it looks like it was them alright”
Kitty grinned. So she could afford to stay a day longer afterall.
“Well, excellent news” Kitty said and tossed a coin to the man. He grabbed it quickly and then whispered. “I have a certain person who wants something....hard to get, needs someone good. If you’re staying longer I’ll set up a meeting if you like?”
Kitty pretended to ponder the idea briefly. “If you can set it up for tomorrow night, I’ll be here, same time.” Kitty went back to sipping her wine as the man stood up nodding his head and drifted away back into the shadows.
Kitty watched as a few other people made their way out to the garden on this fine night. Some of them from the travelling group of one Fiona.
Tygarya
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)