The Circles of the World (OOC: New RPers Welcome)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

The Circles of the World (OOC: New RPers Welcome)

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 am

PLEASE READ THIS POST BEFORE JOINING

Here's the IC thread:
Circles of the World

Premise:

A man known as Cale, (though unknown to himself) has awaken into a world he does not recognize. He is sure he did not live in a realm full of ruins and scattered groups of Men, however his memories of how Middle-earth was are faded, as if they were merely part of a dream that he is slowly forgetting in the sunlight. In truth he barely feels as if he has known any other place. And yet this feeling nags him, that all is not as it should be.

There are other clues. In this Middle-earth light drenches the land constantly, yet there is no sign of the Sun. Rain falls and yet there are no clouds hanging overhead. The entire realm is bathed in a constant golden glow, making it ominously ethereal. There are creatures that roam the land, some taller than Ents, others swifter than the Maeras. The ruins themselves are oddly intact. Though the buildings lay in piles of stone, none are broken, faded or stained. It is merely as if the very seams that bound stone to stone had disappeared and time had left no mark upon them. Magic has grown wild and erratic, no longer able to be controlled even by those few who had an inkling of its ways.

And there are the people. Most seem to carry on with their lives as if this is how it has always been, but there are some who question just as Cale does. And indeed he suspects that more do so than they let known, yet are afraid to delve too deeply. None seem to know what transpired. When questioned the story changes from person to person. Some say there was a great war that had brought their people down, others say it was famine, and still others whisper that it was merely the tides of time lapping against the mortality of the civilization of Man. None speak with conviction.

Lost, Cale wanders the ruins of The City of the White Tree, as it is known now. Where he had awaken, unsure of how he got there. He meets an old woman who leads him from the city to a camp just outside the ruins.

The Basics:

Most of this story is uncertain, and that is how it is meant to be. The story is for the most part a journey into a world of mystery, a search for the truth, so honestly I do not wish to reveal much. Here are the things that are for certain.

This world is indeed Middle-earth. It is not another plain of existence or any other place. What has happened is unknown, but it was sudden, almost instantaneously. The cause is obviously supernatural.

If you choose to join this RP your character will only have very few, vague memories of the way Middle-earth was before it is now, as if it were a dream they were slowly forgetting. How much they believe in these memories is up to you. However your character will retain their basic sense of identity (unless of course you choose to have them not to)

Also, any special items, including Rings of Power, magical equipment, etc will be lost. You may keep basic weapons, armor, etc but anything resembling a mystical item of power will be unavailable to you unless specified otherwise by me. And yes, this does include Elvish Blades and Mithril. This is because the theme in general is dealing with a much less glorious Middle-earth.

Magic exists, yet it is wild and very unstable. If your character deals with magic they will only be able to perform very small, rudimentary spells (think of Gandalf in LotR, less is more.) Anything else will likely not perform in a desired manner and can be very dangerous.

All races are welcome in this Age, but be warned, Elves will be much more "mortal" and every race will be a diminished form of itself.

The story begins as basically an excavation, therefore it will mostly be character development and ways to search through the ruins until we reach the Library (should be short). Don't worry, once there we'll have plenty of adventure afterward.

If you're interested post a character bio and feel free to ask any questions you'd like. I look forward to getting started.

Characters:

Cale/Istariquendi -

Morilasse/Novice-

Niklioas/anduin_wraith-

Serilen/Loopy-

Summary of Events:

-Cale has awaken in The City of the White Tree (The ruins of Minas Tirith). He meets Luinne, an old woman from a group of Nomads outside of the ruins.

-Cale has been captured by the Nomads in their camp not far from the ruins. Why they have done so is unknown but they view Cale as a threat.
Last edited by Istariquendi on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 am, edited 9 times in total.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:18 am

This sounds like it just might belong in the Green Dragon and not the Pony What you are talking about would not be Tolkien's Middle Earth especially since you have no one remembering what it used to be like. You do need to have some explaination for what happened or else you are loosing any connections to JRR's Middle Earth.

Have you read the guidlines for posting in this fourm? They are at the top of the first page. You are going to have to firm this idea up a little because since it is so off the beaten track you are not going to be able to get away with being so very vague with this beginning. You really cant just post some unfocused idea and expect it to become a decent RP thread. There is more to it than than and if you are starting this you are going to be expected to run the thread and if this is all the idea you have, I don't see a good thread coming out of it, but maybe you do know more than you are posting here so Good Luck and we'll see how it goes.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 pm

I didn't at first, but honestly the idea came to me and I didn't get finished writing it until late and I was delirious by then. I hope editing it has made it a little more firm. I know I'm not revealing much however I believe much of the fun in this story lies in the mystery and I don't want to spoil it for everyone. It is a strange concept but believe me, it will tie into Tolkien's Middle-earth very well once it has started going.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:20 pm

Hullo, Istari! Not volunteering for your story, sorry, just wanted to say hi. I remember your story in Scrip from a few years back, about an old man I think it was. Good luck with the RP.

:hihi:
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah, my story about the old man who finally got his wish. Nice to see you. Sorry you won't be participating in my RP. Hopefully I can find someone who wants in.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:42 am

Hi Istari! :)

Thank you for the email response to my desperate plea in the Pony Express office! I have been feeling very forlorn that there have been almost 300 views of that thread since I posted yet I'd heard no compassionate response til yours arrived in my in-box!

To the story: your outline sounds intriguing and I am most especially impressed that there are to be no 'superhumans' - elves with extraordinary senses; powerful artifacts, magic leaking out of every pore...;)

I like the idea of some fairly mortal characters with ordinary flaws and strengths interacting - makes it a real story!

And I can just about get an inkling of your idea with the clue of "circles of the world"...I'm very interested!

I don't know at this stage what character I shall write; I have a leaning towards one of my first characters, Morilassë, who is a woman of Gondor, and therefore can very easily be within reach of Minas Tirith, which is where you seem to begin. And i like her; she's sensible, and ordinary, and has family connections, and she's light of spirit and has just a small smattering of talent...I think Lassë will do well, but I'll think on it some more and perhaps we could communicate about it?

Also - your name did ring a bell but I just couldn't place you. I knew I hadn't bumped into you in RP...and then I realised you'd joined the discussion in the early, heady days of the VTSG when we first plunged into The Silmarillion and the analysis was of such stellar quality I had to re-read posts three or four times to really absorb them! Good times... :)

Anyway...back to the RP. I had another thought; I often write two interlinked characters at a time - it allows me to bounce ideas and reveal characters in a way a solo commitment does not. Would that work for you? I'm not sure who my sidekick would be; I'll have to think on it.

Looking forward to this! I hope we can coax some more people on board!
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Well, this is depressing. The views keep going up but not the replies.

What's wrong with my RP idea guys? :(
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:58 am

I wonder if posting an IC opener would help attract attention. I've seen your writing before and I know you are good, but those who haven't might like an assurance that you can pull off such a challenging set-up. I hope you and Novice get something going.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby GwenElf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:12 am

I think this sounds like a great idea, Istari; very intriguing. Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll be able to commit to another RP-- I'll be starting classes in just over a week and will hopefully have a part-time job as well.

However, I was planning on writing for two RPs this fall, and one of them seems to have died already (alas!), so I might be up for another one. I'm definitely mulling it over! :)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Well, I suppose that would help. I was hoping to get a few more people on board but I guess we could use a beginning to attract some people's attention.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:38 am

Wait, I thought there was a first post. I'm pretty darned sure I read it in the IC thread. *Goes to check*

Huh. Well, either you deleted it, or I wrote an awesome first post for you in my mind, Istari. :P I suspect it's the former.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Novice » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:16 am

*coughs discreetly*

I'm ready when you are.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:15 pm

All right, the first post is up. If you're confused GwenElf it's because I deleted the post and rewrote it. My first attempt was at five in the morning and I most certainly can do better. (I hope I did with this try)

I decided to not use Istari as my character this time, but rather made up a new character. He's still rather mysterious even to me but I have a good idea of what he will be like.

He has little to no memory of who he is, however he does seem to remember the old Middle-earth better than other people. To him the memories of ME are more than just a dream, but rather more convincing. However he needs circumstances to be just right in order to trigger his memories.

He will be referred to as Cale (explanation will be forthcoming I promise)

He is a tall man with very pale skin and washed-out blue eyes. He has short, auburn hair and bone piercings in his ears.

His personality is erratic. For the most part he tends to go with the flow however he has his stubborn moments, especially when a memory is triggered. He is relentless when it comes to solving the mystery involved with the current ME, whereas most people wish not to delve deeper. He follows his own path, even if it is seemingly directionless.

Anyways, basically I plan on all our characters converging at a refugee camp just outside the ruins. You can have your character start there or simply end up there.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 am

Istari, I've decided that Morilassë will join you.

Morilassë (dark or black leaf) is known generally as Lassë. She appears as a woman in her mid-30s, she's slight, mid height and of light build, quick, fine featured, stronger than she looks. She has a lovely warm smile, which completely brightens her solemn features. Longish dark hair, wavy, with red highlights in the sun, sprinkled with silver at her temples, often braided, sometimes loose tied back with a kerchief.

She has a son, aged 5. She has four older sisters but they will not come into her story at this stage. She is assumed widowed, as her husband has been missing since their son was 6 months old.

She can be stubborn, intuitive, wary. Loves a laugh but is retiring. Loves children and her own company.

She plays pan pipes but only mimics bird song and sounds of nature, she does not compose music. She has moderate skill in healing, as any country woman would have.

Lassë comes from the valley of the Morthond, behind the white mountains (Ered Nimrais), a small village settlement whose economy is dependent on bees (their honey is renown), goats (milk and cheese), the rare healing herbs that grow in that valley, which temper heat and ease darkness of heart and mind.

Years ago she left that village to seek her husband - she did not find him though she travelled far. She is not a warrior of any kind; to all intents and purposes she is a village woman of Gondor, with no defensive skills other than her wits, common sense, good nature, her charm and reflexes.

There is more to her back story, but this will do for the Circles; and she is alone, without remembrance of things past, though she is now seeking her son, the one precious thing she does remember.

Will this do for you to begin with? If so, i shall construct my opening post.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:45 am

Sounds perfectly fine to me. I like the fact you included her search for her son since it makes it a little more believable that she would follow Cale in his quest. Go ahead with the first post.

One thing I must mention though. The refuge we're all going to meet at is mostly a conglomeration of tents. Think along the lines of the Native American nomads who followed the buffalo herds (but not quite so TP-like). They do not build permanent dwellings partly out of reverence to the ruined City and mostly because there are none who possess the skill to do so.

I look forward to meeting Lasse, and whoever else wishes to join if they so choose.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Loopy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:39 pm

hello!!!

i ve been away from TORC for a while, and now that i m back, i was thinking about joining an rp.... could i join this one?

if i can, then let me tell you my idea: i will be an elf from Rivendel (since i cant help this ;)) and as you said, i will have lost my fire ring of power.
i love the idea of starting this rp on a library... still dont know how i shall introduce my character...

please let me know if this sounds good to you, so that i can create my rp female character.

On the other hand, i cant believe this! GWENELF is here!!!!! :yippie::yippie::yippie: how are you!!! are you joining too?
Loopy
Mariner

Postby Istariquendi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Just summarize your character Loopy and we can start this show!
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby anduin wraith » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:00 pm

i would also like to state my interest in joining this rp and have being thinking up a character as i am fairly new to the boards

Niklioas former knight of Gondor grew up within the city of Minas Tirith but has very little memory of his past just hazy recollections of great battles, he is a confident self assured man this coming from many years surviving in the wilds after having fled in disgrace from battle, pledges to accompany cale on his quest to whatever end.

Niklioas is a skiller hand to hand fighter and can use a bow in a pinch but prefers to be at the forefront of the action which has left him with only vision in one of his eyes
anduin wraith
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Istariquendi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 am

I like your character idea anduin, nice and simple and he can be the one packing the muscle. Just keep in mind his motivations for following Cale. I can already see the basic need to follow orders, him being a former soldier, and having a willingness to go with the flow. However, Cale is not the typical strong leader type. He is disoriented and confused and very rarely knows exactly what he is doing. It's only in those moments where his memory is clear that he has strong focus and will. You're going to need a good reason why your character wants to follow him.

However, I don't expect you to know this just yet. We're just getting started. For now just worry about getting him to the refugee camp.

As a general note to everyone: You can have your character originate in the refugee camp. I will say with certainty that the people and the camp have been living in these circumstances for longer than Cale, but for how long they cannot say. Living in a land with no sun but perpetual light makes everything seem so timeless. Things blend easier when you can no longer tell the difference between night and day.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Loopy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Hello all

my character is Serilen. She is a female elf from Rivendell, one of the last ones in middle earth. She has long brown hair, bright and soft, but not as it used to be... Things are different now, but she cant tell why and seems dissoriented about some changes she sees in the world today, her memory seems to fade in the air. She, somehow, knows that one day she was glorious as her people, but know she is not so sure of things anymore.
She is well trained when defending herself mainly with bow and arrow, but always keeps a small blade with her. She was a skilled healer, but this knowledge is now also missing...
She wears a long green dress, with golden leaves drawn in the back; perhaps this will help her remember her past someday, which vanished from one day to another, without explanation.

My character has a fire ring of power, but she will not remember of being a master now, i´ll see how i can make her remember once the story grows.

Do you suggest that all characters meet in the camp?
Loopy
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 pm

:hihi: Loopy!!!!!! :hug: Long time no post, my Jedi master! :D

Well, I just got hired for a part-time job and it's not looking very good for the free time, so I'm gonna pass on this one, unfortunately. If I end up with more time than anticipated and you need/want a character to come in a bit later, lemme know-- I'll be hovering around the place, seeing how things are going. :)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Istariquendi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 pm

I'm sure there will be plenty of room for you GwenElf if the time comes you want to join. Very little is set in stone (in fact nothing may be) so who knows?

Good description Loopy. It seems like a good outline and should be able to be fleshed out as the story progresses. Yes, I wish for everyone to meet at the refugee camp. How you end up there is up to you.

I now have a second post up. It has changed a little how I intended to begin this story but I feel that this way we'll all get more of a feel on how this changed Middle-earth operates and it will flow better. Sorry, it's even longer than the first one, so you guys have a lot of reading to do.

Just a warning for everyone's first post. Do not head into the camp secretly or by any mysterious terms whatsoever, it will only end badly.

EDIT: I've cleaned up the first post of this thread a little. You can now access the IC thread and I have put in a section that will basically summarize the main points of the story. I think this will be useful as the thread progresses as people may want to join or perhaps there will be those of us absent from the RP and will need a quick catch up. I'll be updating as the story continues of course.

BTW- GwenElf, it is awesome that you like Avatar!
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Loopy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:30 pm

hi my padawan!!! :D:D:D look at you! you are a ring bearer now! :D congrats!!

oh, too bad you wont be joining us! i dont have much time either, in fact i ll be away on holidays for some days, but just couldnt help coming back to torc and this rp seems to be quite interesting! :D:) Hope to see you around girl! :yippie: :hihi: :yippie: :hihi:

so, back to our rp... we´ll be staring in the camp then...

bye!!
Loopy
Mariner

Postby Novice » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:46 am

Sorry, I haven't had time to get my opening post together yet - it's been a hellish couple of weeks at work, tripping over one deadline after another. I'll get it together within the next couple of days, though.

Istarl, may I suggest that you include a summary of all the characters somewhere in the first thread, so that as the story unfolds over many pages we can all stay on top of who is who and who is active, etc? Or not, if you prefer, but I thought I may as well make the suggestion for you to take up if you wish it.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Loopy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:39 pm

good idea!

at least i think it would be helpful to have each torcers name followed by eahc rp name... what do you think?
Loopy
Mariner

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Sure, why not? I'll put the names in at the very least. As of now, I'll update the summary as well.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Loopy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 pm

hi there! just added my post. My character hasnt entered the city yet, she is still at the main gate, so feel free to continue the story if you want.

Another thing: pls excuse me if the post is not long enough, i havent been writing for quite some time, so i need to get back on track ;)

bye!!
Loopy
Mariner

Postby Istariquendi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Sorry I haven't been around guys. I had to pack up and move from South Carolina to New York, plus I drove so I've basically been recovering. My new post is up and don't worry we'll be getting into more interactive posting soon! I just had a very strange and specific beginning in mind that's coming to a close.

Your post length is fine Loopy. Don't judge on my ridiculously huge posts because this is certainly not going to be the norm later on in the RP, although they won't become too much shorter I'm sure.

Just a couple of things though. In this time there are no cities in Middle-earth. Do you have the city confused with the camp or is this another area entirely? I'm not quite sure from your post. Either way, perhaps you can make it a small conglomeration of buildings in the center of massive ruins, and I'm also being lenient on buildings. Hardly anything that was ever built by the Children of Iluvatar stands in this version. Also, if anything there should be only rustic remnants of people living in this city so try not to make anything too fancy.

Also, there are no clouds here, nor is there is a sun. It's a weird place I know but that's how it is for now.

I hate to be a pain but I have a very specific idea of what this RP will be like. Please don't hate me!
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby anduin wraith » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:31 am

Hey Istari :d
just wondering what you thought of my opening post as it's been a while since i last threw myself into an rp so any advice or anything like that will be noted and welcomed
anduin wraith
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:24 pm

I liked your post anduin. Generally it kept with the ideas I was going for, good style and flow. I liked the way you integrated your character into the camp and established your role in its mini society. Altogether a good start!

Oh, and don't take my criticisms too much at heart, Loopy. I appreciate you being here and enjoyed your post. In fact it has started to give me some ideas as to other societies within this world that I hadn't thought of before, so please don't go away!

I just hope I haven't scared off Loopy and Novice with my absence. Although to be quite honest I've grown quite attached to this RP and feel quite ready and willing to continue it on my own if that ends up being necessary.

Oh and btw, my next post is the transition from my character being on his own to becoming more interactive so everyone feel free to introduce yourself to Cale (although this might be awkward since he has yet to know his name) Look forward to the adventure that shall begin from here (finally).
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)