What happened to the other Rings of Power

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Re: What happened to the other Rings of Power

Postby solicitr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm

The minor rings were made by the Mirdain on their own, before the advent of "Annatar." It was he whose knowledge enabled them to make the Great Rings... and even though Sauron didn't participate in the making of the Three, nonetheless Celebrimbor unwittingly included ""Mordorsoft" code in their firmware, so to speak.
User avatar
solicitr
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:45 am
Top

Re: What happened to the other Rings of Power

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 15, 2017 8:09 am

solicitr wrote:The minor rings were made by the Mirdain on their own, before the advent of "Annatar." It was he whose knowledge enabled them to make the Great Rings... and even though Sauron didn't participate in the making of the Three, nonetheless Celebrimbor unwittingly included ""Mordorsoft" code in their firmware, so to speak.


:D Great way of putting it!

I'd forgotten that the lesser rings came before Sauron's influence. I've also forgotten where that's written. Appendices? Unfinished Tales? HoME? Letters?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: New Haven CT
Top

Re: What happened to the other Rings of Power

Postby Mitheradan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm

IMO, the biggest misconception about the Rings is that they were made for anyone but the Elves. The whole reason behind their making, and how Sauron was able to manipulate the MIrdain, was that the Noldor that remained in Middle-Earth still longed for the Timeless feeling of the Undying Lands and sought to recreate it in Middle-Earth. Sauron, as Annatar, showed them how to do this via the creation of the Rings of Power and played on that desire. They were designed to make things more "Elven"-like (for lack of a better term) and to slow the passage of Time (or at least the feeling of it) but Sauron corrupted this when he helped them make the rings. When the rings were taken by Sauron, he gave 7 (or 6 depending on if you go with the story of Celebrimbor giving one to Durin III) possibly out of spite of his former Master, Aule the Smith, and a desire to corrupt his creations. After that, he only had 9 left so he gave them to greedy Men, who I think had the Rings not had the corruption of Sauron in them, may have made them more "Elven"-like as well. I think with Sauron's corrupting of their intended purpose, they still performed their task, but in a twisted, dark way.

The Three Rings were not subject to the corruption of Sauron because Celebrimbor made them himself and so Sauron never touched them, but they were still subject to the One Ring because that weakness was inherent to the design.

Remember that the Ring poem (with the exception of the Ring Inscription) was written by a Gondorian Scholar in the 4th Age after the War of the Ring.
User avatar
Mitheradan
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 1999 12:00 am
Location: Fallon, NV
Top

Re: What happened to the other Rings of Power

Postby ngaur » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 am

Mitheradan wrote:Remember that the Ring poem (with the exception of the Ring Inscription) was written by a Gondorian Scholar in the 4th Age after the War of the Ring.


Actually Gandalf spoke the full ring Poem to Frodo in Bag End and claimed that it was a verse long known in elven-lore.

Strange perhaps, given that Celebrimbor made the three in secret unknown to Sauron, and the Elves went to great lengths in hiding them from him, and yet they would happily reveal exactly how many there were in a verse that had to be written after Sauron distributed the other 16 rings, and the Elves somehow found out who they were distributed to. One can only assume That the Elves wore the three when Sauron first put on the One, and he became aware that the numbers didn't add up.

Ah, there are my babies, all 16 of them. No wait.. 17, eh.. 18.. no one more.. 19 of them. Hrrmm... Precious! You got something to tell me?
User avatar
ngaur
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:55 am
Top

Re: What happened to the other Rings of Power

Postby Mitheradan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm

ngaur wrote:
Mitheradan wrote:Remember that the Ring poem (with the exception of the Ring Inscription) was written by a Gondorian Scholar in the 4th Age after the War of the Ring.


Actually Gandalf spoke the full ring Poem to Frodo in Bag End and claimed that it was a verse long known in elven-lore.

Strange perhaps, given that Celebrimbor made the three in secret unknown to Sauron, and the Elves went to great lengths in hiding them from him, and yet they would happily reveal exactly how many there were in a verse that had to be written after Sauron distributed the other 16 rings, and the Elves somehow found out who they were distributed to. One can only assume That the Elves wore the three when Sauron first put on the One, and he became aware that the numbers didn't add up.

Ah, there are my babies, all 16 of them. No wait.. 17, eh.. 18.. no one more.. 19 of them. Hrrmm... Precious! You got something to tell me?


You are right. Man I really need to read the book again. I think I was mistaking that for the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen which was written by Faramir and Eowyn's grandson, Barahir.

I still hold to that belief that the Rings were conceived by the Mirdain as tools for the Elves alone originally and that it was Sauron who used them to try to ensnare the other races and bend them to his will.
User avatar
Mitheradan
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 1999 12:00 am
Location: Fallon, NV
Top

Previous

Return to The Books (Tolkien)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests