LotR Reader's Companion question

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

LotR Reader's Companion question

Postby Edennil » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 pm

On page 215 of Hammond & Scull's The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion (2014 edition) under the note for 'his scabbard of chalcedony' it says, "this is the only line to survive intact from the original version of the poem: see last note for p. 236." The last note for p. 236 (on p. 218) is for 'Flammifer of Westernesse'. I can see a relation between scabbard and sword, but the colon used in the first note makes it seem like the reference should concern the "only line to survive" bit. What am I missing here?? Please help!
Edennil
Petitioner to the Council

Re: LotR Reader's Companion question

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:39 am

While I don't possess a copy of the Hammond & Scull book, I can't seem to find a relation between the scabbard of chalcedony and the Flammifer of Westernesse in the relevant chapter of The Treason of Isengard, which gives a lengthy and interesting review of the history of the poem, and how it evolved from an earlier work called Errantry, published in 1933 (which is where the scabbard comes from). The Flammifer, I think, appears in the second version Tolkien wrote of Earendil the Mariner. I, at least, cannot see any connection between the two, but I could also be missing something. For my part, I'm wondering whether Flammifer is a real word? :? I've always wondered about that, but I couldn't find a note in TToI that explains that.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Edennil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 am

Google search brought up this article from Jason Fisher's excellent blog that might interest you: http://lingwe.blogspot.com/2008/06/flammifer-of-westerness-from-latin-to.html

Thank you very much for having a look through TToI, much appreciated. But this question is really more about the Reader's Companion than it is about lore. I think the point I've made is either an error or a tenuous connection or perhaps I am misusing the Companion. I could be wrong though... I really don't know! Hence my asking the question :wink:
Edennil
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:30 am

thanks for the link! Every time I read LotR I've wondered what a Flammifer is - thank you for clearing that up!
I'll assume it's an error on Hammond & Scull's part
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Return to The Books (Tolkien)