Favourites in Sil?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Favourites in Sil?

Postby siddharth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm

I just finished The Sil about two weeks ago.
I was wondering which parts you folks loved the most. And which characters also.

For me, I loved the whole creation-myth, of the two trees, the coming of the Noldor in ME, end of Fingolfin, the Beren-Luthien saga and Nirnaeth Arnodiad the most. Though there are innumerable bits I loved, these were the ones I enjoyed the most. ( Though I didn't like the chapter which describes the whole geography of Beleriand much. It's a bit confusing)
And of characters, I liked Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund,Maedhros, Luthien and Glaurung the most.

What about you?
Last edited by siddharth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Favourites in Sil?

Postby Morwenna » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 am

I like the Music of the Ainur. I also like some of the other parts of the creation myth. I love geography! But I was less fond of the actual stories; possibly because I couldn't engage very well with the characters, many of them are hard to keep straight. And the whole thing is way too gloomy.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby scirocco » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 am

I like the connections with LOTR. The creation myths and the First Age battles are wonderful, high and terrible, but I miss the world and times of our hobbits. And I love the ending; Tolkien does great endings:
In that time the last of the Noldor set sail from the Havens and left Middle-earth for ever. And latest of all the Keepers of the Three Rings rode to the Sea, and Master Elrond took there the ship that Cirdan had made ready. In the twilight of autumn it sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, and borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song.
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Postby Ihearthee » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:47 am

Though it is sad, I love the end Of The Fifth Battle, and the bravery of Húrin, and that he defended everything he loved to the end, even if all that remained were memories.
Ihearthee
Shield Bearer

Postby Mablung » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:18 pm

There is so much to like. Finrod Felagund's loyalty to his given word, and his tragic demise. The friendship of Beleg and Turin. Amroth throwing himself in the sea. Fingolfin's valour. The stubborn yet hopeless fighting by the Elves in the sack of Gondolin. And many, many more :)
Mablung
Ranger of the North

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:55 pm

I'd have to say Turin, he was definitely the story's Oedipal tragic hero... and I don't just mean the incest. Rather, HoME says that Turin would be the one who would one day defeat Melkor in the Outer Void.
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby Xlranet » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:40 pm

I really like how carm Finarfin is when Feanor draws his sword against him
Xlranet
Citizen of Imladris

Postby fingolfin7 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Fin golfing and huan
fingolfin7
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Naeth Dúlinn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:06 pm

My favorites have got to be the music of the ainur and the story of Turin. Turin's story will always be a favorite of mine, the first dragonslayer, the blacksword, the tragedies that occur.... I love it. The music of ainur is filled with flowing speeches and conflict, it's hard not to get caught up in it. HOWEVER. The greatest part for me, even though it is small, is the fight between Fingolfin and Morgoth. The battle between an Elf and a rogue Valar, it's so climactic and meaningful.
Naeth Dúlinn
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Favorite part is the tale of Beren and Luthien, but I also love the Fall of Gondolin.
Favorite characters are Beren, Luthien, Maedhros, Fingon, Glorfindel, Turgon, Aredhel, Idril, and Yavanna. I like Ulmo too.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 am

I like the part where Galadriel is returning from Valanor across the Ice. In the LOTR you just don’t quiet get a feel for how Xena Worrior Princess-ish she is. Yeah she is queen Lothlorian, yep she is immortal and bears a ring of power, but she is also a battle hardened, sword wielding force of nature who has crossed swords with Valar. This Lady has spent time in the trenches being about the ugly bussiness of war.

I kinda like Peter Jackson’s treatment of her in the Hobbit.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Quimrill_Renctar wrote:I like the part where Galadriel is returning from Valanor across the Ice. In the LOTR you just don’t quiet get a feel for how Xena Worrior Princess-ish she is. Yeah she is queen Lothlorian, yep she is immortal and bears a ring of power, but she is also a battle hardened, sword wielding force of nature who has crossed swords with Valar. This Lady has spent time in the trenches being about the ugly bussiness of war.

I kinda like Peter Jackson’s treatment of her in the Hobbit.

Yeah, though in the LOTR appendix, it does mention that she was the one who laid bare the pits of Dol Guldur after the War of the Ring, destroying the haunted fortress and retaking it for the Elves. I was glad to see something of that in the Hobbit movies - I appreciate Peter Jackson's treatment of Galadriel: Cate Blanchett is perfect in the role.

Agreed, that her crossing of the Ice is harrowing, especially since she had just had much of her family murdered by Feanor. Her bravery is incredible. It is also interesting to know that she was an athlete and a champion just as skilled as any of the men in Valinor.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Return to The Books (Tolkien)