What impresses you most about the books?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Re: What impresses you most about the books?

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 pm

BerenVonRictoffen wrote:Thus, the story itself was well-written as a work of British mythology, in an entire world created for such; but that was only the vehicle for the greater depth of the story's message, as relates to our own world. In short, it wasn't simply an escapist fantasy by a well-educated dreamer.

It is that greater depth that impresses me. And it is what keeps it fresh. Indeed, as markkur said, it refreshes, in ways that the Bible does not. For reasons I will not go into here, the Word has been tainted for me, and it is difficult to read whole passages without interrupting voices trying to tell me what it says. But that is where LOTR comes to the rescue for me. The Truth is there, plot holes notwithstanding, and I can pick up any of the volumes, and within a phrase or two know exactly where I am, transported into another world, yet with my feet ever more firmly on the ground in this one.

Thank you, Professor!
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

markkur wrote: the Lotr is more the childlike creation class that goes on a field-trip where I stay alert on the road ahead but try not to lose sight of Sam and Pippin; they have wonderfully free spirits and know how to love in the worst of times.

Well said markkur

I enjoy your perspective.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Old_Begonia wrote:
...LOTR comes to the rescue for me. The Truth is there, plot holes notwithstanding, and I can pick up any of the volumes, and within a phrase or two know exactly where I am, transported into another world...

Thank you, Professor!

Beautifully stated and well related to.

Thank you Old_Begonia

Cool to see you and to hear you.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Morwenna » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:09 am

Old_Begonia wrote:
It is that greater depth that impresses me. And it is what keeps it fresh. Indeed, as markkur said, it refreshes, in ways that the Bible does not. For reasons I will not go into here, the Word has been tainted for me, and it is difficult to read whole passages without interrupting voices trying to tell me what it says. But that is where LOTR comes to the rescue for me. The Truth is there, plot holes notwithstanding, and I can pick up any of the volumes, and within a phrase or two know exactly where I am, transported into another world, yet with my feet ever more firmly on the ground in this one.

Thank you, Professor!

Beautifully said! I feel the same way.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Old_Begonia wrote:It is that greater depth that impresses me. And it is what keeps it fresh. Indeed, as markkur said, it refreshes, in ways that the Bible does not. For reasons I will not go into here, the Word has been tainted for me, and it is difficult to read whole passages without interrupting voices trying to tell me what it says. But that is where LOTR comes to the rescue for me. The Truth is there, plot holes notwithstanding, and I can pick up any of the volumes, and within a phrase or two know exactly where I am, transported into another world, yet with my feet ever more firmly on the ground in this one.

Thank you, Professor!

Wow, I couldn't have said it any better. The Truth is there…
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to The Books (Tolkien)