Ruth Lacon's artbook [REQUEST]

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Ruth Lacon's artbook [REQUEST]

Postby nensha » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi everyone :)

I'm kinda ashamed that my first post is already a request, but I guess I have no other choice than to ask people from one of the biggest message boards devoted to Tolkien's masterpieces...
You see, I study English (I'm not a native speaker) and I'm currently writing a MA thesis on the film adaptations of The Hobbit. The problem is typical, I think - I need SOURCES.To cut the long story short, I've encountered a very interesting paragraph in Lynette Porter's book The Hobbits, but I've got this book already translated and I'm not able to get it in English right now. And I don't have enough time to order it and then wait for the parcel ;)
So now my request enters the scene. Could anyone owning one of the following books find this one particular paragraph in English for me and post it here? Either from Porter's book (chapter 1) or from the original source, which is Ruth Lacon's Illustrations Inspired by the Works of J. R. R. Tolkien (page 10). The paragraph is about Tolkien's obsolete, archaic language and begins with a sentence that LOTR is an original piece of work, full of contradictions. I need it to cite in the thesis and the piece of text must be in the original language - if I could translate it, I would do this ;)
I'll be really grateful for any help. I can send you something from my country in exchange for your help, if you want ;)

Oh, and btw I would like to thank you all for some great discussions - I've quoted some of you in my MA, if you don't mind ;)
nensha
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Ruth Lacon's artbook [REQUEST]

Postby ElvenArcher » Thu May 08, 2014 3:56 pm

You may get more replies here than in the art forum, so I've moved the thread to Books.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 am

Hi nensha!

The Lord of the Rings is a singular, contradictory work. Written in an almost archaic form, packed with strange words and historical details, and lacking the modern emphasis on the 'inner life', it is unabashedly antimodern. But at the same time its melancholy environmentalism and fully realised alternative world are very modern... The enduring appeal, however, lies not in its literary oddness or straightforward action, but in its beautifully realised world and themes of loss, self-sacrifice, and friendship. In its wake, Tolkien's work left not only a host of sword-and-sorcery imitators and devoted fans, but a lasting legacy in the hundreds of virtual worlds that have come to life in books and films since. Tolkien's work has inspired (as he intended) many others in word, art, music, and drama.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby nensha » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:58 am

I've already managed to get to the original text, but thank you anyway :)
nensha
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Tolkien)