Adding more Tolkien books

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Adding more Tolkien books

Postby campkennedy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Hope it's Ok to submit under the movies...? Would like to add more Tolkien to the library... What's the recommended essentials beyond Hobbit, Lord of the Rings? Have added Silmarillion for research, plus a small reference guide. Advice for another couple of books to pick up...? Unfinished Tales, Peoples of Middle Earth? Enjoy researching (differing Ages of Middle Earth) and would like to get more on the historical backgrounds of the all the characters (Elves/ Dunedain/ Rohan/ Dwarven Kingdoms), as well as to hopefully read more story's of Bilbo. Any suggestions, any favorites? How about Sauron Defeated? Many Thanks for any guidance and assistance... K
campkennedy
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Adding more Tolkien books

Postby darthgandalf99 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:44 am

This would probably be better placed in the Books forum. But all the books you mentioned are good reading choices.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:50 am

darthgandalf99 wrote:This would probably be better placed in the Books forum. But all the books you mentioned are good reading choices.

Indeed. It has now been moved there.

Happy reading, campkennedy.

~*~*~*~

White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby campkennedy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Thank you both for the replies and for confirming the selected reads. Apologies for submitting under films... Was enjoying the posts and got carried away.
campkennedy

Postby wilko185 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I would definitely have a go at Unfinished Tales, before considering any of the 'History of Middle-earth' books (such as Sauron Defeated, Peoples of Middle Earth). See this recent thread for some discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=106254
wilko185
Mariner

Postby campkennedy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Thank you for the suggestion and the quick link to the thread... Helped make sense of it. Will happily add 'Unfinished Tales', next.
campkennedy

Postby albergo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:35 am

First of all Silmarillion is not for research, it is an integral and vital part of the complete story. Just to be clear about that. Embedded within it are some great stories also. Unfinished Tales is excellent because it has the most fleshed out stories beyond the Hobbit and LoTR, even though if sadly they are not finished. There is a lot of vital information in UT about Gandalf and Galdadriel, and the starting story about Tuor is terrific. Beyond that I don't know that the HoME volumes are essential, but if you like what you found in Sil and UT then I would recommend those. My favorites among then are Vols. X and XI (I think), which are the Sil versions written post LoTR, whereas the earlier HoME volumes include Silmarillion versions written before LoTR. They are all interesting though. Another consideration is the HoME volumes that present the previous drafts of LoTR (vols. XI - IX, I think). In those you read LoTR again in a different form but still written by JRRT. This might be of interest to someone considering re-reading LoTR, that is, take on the HoME versions instead. The distinctions are sometimes quite interesting, for example the first draft of the Bree chapter had a super buff forest hobbit helping the travelers escape the Nazgul, and then later he wrote that part over and changed that character to Aragorn. This is the first conception of Aragorn as a character by JRRT.
albergo

Postby Minardil » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:38 am

The History of Middle Earth books are fascinating to read, but mostly from the perspective of feeling like you are standing over JRRT's shoulder as he's writing LoTR and the Silmarillion. They don't contain stories, as such, but rough drafts, snippets of stories, character development ideas, that sort of thing. As a writer myself, I find them to be valuable for trying to understand Tolkien's creative process.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby Naeth Dúlinn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:44 pm

I would say get Silmarillion before any of the others. It gives a good basic view of everything. Then get the unfinished tales if you want a more in-depth look at those same stories. then the periphery stories.
Naeth Dúlinn

Return to The Books (Tolkien)