Which is your favorite of the Ainur (either Valar or Maiar)?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Which is your favorite of the Ainur (either Valar or Maiar)?

Postby Billobob » Tue May 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Say which of the Aiunur is your favorite and why. Pure and simple.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Re: Which is your favorite of the Ainur (either Valar or Mai

Postby Blackfeather713 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 am

I'm torn between Melian, Ulmo, Námo, Olorin and Nienna
but Sauron's story is so interesting as well....it's really hard to say
Blackfeather713
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Billobob » Wed May 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Wow I thought this thread was going to be dormant for a long time. I'd say my favorite of the Ainur is either tulkas or Ulmo. Tulips because even Melkor was afraid of him and Ulmo because he didn't forsake middle earth even when the rest went to Valinor.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Thu May 21, 2015 9:50 am

Olorin. No question. I love Gandalf, every mention of him.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Billobob » Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 am

Eonwë is pretty cool especially when you consider how he was the most skilled at arms of anyone in Arda.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:20 pm

I am in agreement with Billobob about Ulmo "because he didn't forsake middle earth even when the rest went to Valinor".

Yavanna and Orome were cool too in that they, at least, went back to visit. But Ulmo never left.

Thinking of Ulmo, I am reminded of something I read in The Silmarillion which has remained very dear to me. Absolutely beautiful writing in my opinion.

============================

Illuvatar points this out to Ulmo, saying:

Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

And Ulmo responded:

‘Truly, Water is become now fairer than my heart imagined, neither had my secret thought conceived the snowflake, nor in all my music was contained the falling of the rain. I will seek Manwe, that he and I may make melodies for ever to my delight!’ And Manwe and Ulmo have from the beginning been allied, and in all things have served most faithfully the purpose of Iluvatar.

===========================

Absolutely beautiful.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Numenohtar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Elbereth.

However, if we were to go by which ones are the most interesting, and not our favorites, I would have to nominate that deceitful one who was once known as Mairon...

Mairon's Fall is the most psychologically interesting; far more interesting than that of Melkor, who is simply an immense nihilistic force that wants to conquer all matter.

Melkor striving with Hurin is more interesting than physically battling Fingolfin, because the dialogue is so rich. The instances where Sauron did similar things is even better, because Sauron is more refined than Melkor. I just wish we had more. What I would give for more on the confrontation of Sauron with Finrod besides the snippets from the Lay of Leithian, and the bits in the Akallabeth about Sauron and ar-Pharazon. A full account of the encounters between Celebrimbor and Sauron would also be great.

Sauron is also physically present at many of the battles he orchestrates (when he is still capable of taking corporeal form). It is also intriguing that it is said that Sauron, while knowing Men are more easily corrupted, set sights on corrupting the Elves, as they had the greater power. He takes the bigger challenge.

I think Dark Lords are fascinating. This is why I have never been able to really get into the imagery of these giant brutes we find in films and popular culture. The mind of a Sauron or Morgoth is more terrible than anything we mortals can fathom. They would just utterly break you spiritually, their voices in your head, overpowering your will. Then put you to death cruelty, mocking you.

Only the greatest wills can strive with them. And even they tend to lose...
Numenohtar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Celebrindal » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:26 am

I can't decide between Yavanna, I think her love of nature, plea for defense of the trees (thus bring about the existence of the Ents) and that other little thing she did, singing the two trees into existence was pretty cool as well. Also, Olorin because he gave all to save Middle Earth and guide its peoples towards the light. Without him they may have fallen a little shy of their goal.
Celebrindal
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Morwenna » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:15 am

Olorin. Gandalf all the way. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Billobob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:35 am

Olefin is cool but I think before Lotr Olorin wasn't nearly as cool as when he is Gandalf, maybe that's just because we see more of him when he is Gandalf but he does seem to grow in middle earth.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:30 am

Hmm…I think Lorien, because his home, with its winding mazes of twilit gardens, and the fields of poppies, the mist and the fireflies, sounds really mystical to me. Of the Maiar, Sauron. He's like a Loki type to me, in his original form, and I love Loki.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Return to The Books (Tolkien)