What to do the Tolkien fans think of Wheel of Time books?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

What to do the Tolkien fans think of Wheel of Time books?

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 am

Hi, all!

I'm not sure if a topic like this has been discussed here or not, if it is, my apologies in advance.

Few weeks back I came across Wheel of Time books and having googled about them, I found comparisons between Wheel of Time and LotR (Wheel of Time being similar to Wheel of Fire used in LotR was what grabbed my attention in the first place). There are obviously hundreds of opinions on the books- both good and bad. I'm wondering what you people here think.

Comparison with Tolkien isn't a new thing to come across which is why I'm curious about these books and their quality.
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Re: What to do the Tolkien fans think of Wheel of Time books

Postby ngaur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 am

Not read them. A quick wikipedia check suggests that there are a gruelling 14 books to plow through, each sporting some 700+ pages. Latest one from 2013.

Looks suspiciously like one of those modern commercial phantasy soaps that never seems to get finished becasue maybe the market can squeeze one more book out of the franchise.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Re: What to do the Tolkien fans think of Wheel of Time books

Postby wilko185 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:51 am

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF ROBERT JORDAN? (1286 comments!)

That thread is somewhat unkind, but the Wheel of Time really does deserve a bit of mockery. It's ok for what it is, and has some interesting characters and settings, but IMO it's also: over-long, meandering, derivative, and somewhat superficial. With hindsight, there are 100s of pages at a time that the reader could safely skip, with no great loss. I have not managed to complete it, but what I've heard about the climax (two full books to describe the final battle, apparently) doesn't compel me to make the effort.
wilko185
Mariner

Return to The Books (Tolkien)