which character or place would like to learn more about?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

which character or place would like to learn more about?

Postby PHANTOM KNIGHT » Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Tolkien was a genius. he would dive in to depth on every single little detail. however even he sometimes didnt give the whole story. I wish I could learn more about the blue wizards and their story of the east. I would also want to learn more about the hither lands, the variags and also the island in the sea of rhun. what about you guyz?
PHANTOM KNIGHT
Petitioner to the Council

Re: which character or place would like to learn more about?

Postby WesternSeas » Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm

Definitely the Blue Wizards, and I agree about Rhun and lands west and south. Hints at Arabic style people and the oliphaunts, I would just love to know more! They contrast so strongly with the western medieval slant of the known peoples of Middle Earth, it would be interesting to see where Tolkien's imagination went with them.
WesternSeas
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Denethor » Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 pm

I've always thought a map of Umbar would be nice. In terms of information, more on Forodwaith (which really vanishes outside the Arvedui story).
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Billobob » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 am

I would definatley want to learn more about the blue wizards and everything south and east in middle earth. Particularly about Far Harad and Rhûn since they form the majority of middle earth yet we know almost nothing about them. Also it would be nice to know how Tom Bombadill fits with the rest of Tolkien's mythology.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Billobob wrote:Also it would be nice to know how Tom Bombadill fits with the rest of Tolkien's mythology.

He doesn't, that's the point. He's his own little weird exception to everything (a la the Nameless Things or Ungoliant).
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Billobob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:04 am

True. But still even though he is meant to be an engima it still kind of nags at me.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm another one who would like to know more about the area around the Sea of Rhun. If there was commercial traffic on the River Running, there had to be someone at the other end! Those wines of Dorwinion, for example: what was Dorwinion like? Who lived there, elves or men? What kind of culture did they belong to? Were they akin to the Lake-men and the men of Dale, or were they of Easterling stock, or were they akin to the forefathers of the Rohirrim?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:51 pm

I would really like to know more about The west of Middle Earth in the Second Age when the Numenoreans came and clear-cut the vast forests to build their mighty ships.

Also, the various Numenorean settlements and outposts they must have set up in the various parts of Second Age Middle Earth.

Also, with the fall of Fornost, how Dunedain life was as a secretive, wandering, yet noble folk.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Return to The Books (Tolkien)